Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svenh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Hello iPhone developers,
I hope you can help me.
I am new now and wanted to start my first iPhone app.

I have been through the tutorials, read the tips but I can not find any information to get GPS information.

Can anybody help on:
1) How to read the current GPS location ?
2) What is the data format ?
3) How do I read it ?
4) If I have 2 GPS positions, how do I calculate the distance in meter between them ?

Any help is much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Regards
Sven

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
It sounds like your first app will likely do the same thing as my first app. ;)

I haven't downloaded the SDK, yet, but I know what I want to try writing first.

svenh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2008
Thanks for the information. Found it. but now I need to understand it :)
I will give it a try.
I did programming 20 years ago in C++, Pascal and Assembler and when reading all this staff, I feel going back but I can´t remember anything.

However I will try it and see what will come out. The programming mind set is still, so in theory it should be possible ;-)

bluenoise,
perhaps we share our ideas and do something together

Regards
Sven

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
bluenoise,
perhaps we share our ideas and do something together

Regards
Sven

That would be cool except I may not actually try doing anything for months. I'm a new iPhone customer that has dabbled in programming off and on as a hobby and thought it would be fun to take advantage of Apple's SDK to mess around a bit. I don't know if I will ever justify the money to get something running on my phone unless I am able to get it running nicely in an emulator. I have no idea how the emulator deals with GPS stuff, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.