PDA

View Full Version : MacRumors' 2003 Rumor Rejects and Unconfirmed


MacRumors
Dec 30, 2003, 03:35 AM
Last year, MacRumors published our first 2002 Rumor Reject and Unconfirmed List (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/01/20030101214437.shtml). This compilation of unconfirmed and unverifiable rumors offered readers a look into the tidbits that never quite made it onto MacRumors.com.

Surprisingly enough, a couple of these out-of-nowhere rumors came true in 2003. Apple-branded Presentation Software and Apple Music Sales rumors evolved into Apple's Keynote software and the iTunes Music Store, while hints of a 30" Apple Display have now graduated into a full fledged rumor over the past year.

With the addition of MacRumors' Page 2 (http://page2.macrumors.com/) in early 2003, more of the 2003 unconfirmed rumors have already found their way into the limelight... however, a few unconfirmable stragglers remain:

- Apple DV Recorder (to transfer video into your Mac)
- A product called the "Apple iBook Studio Display"
- iSight Cameras built into both Apple LCDs and PowerBooks
- Dual Processor iMac in 2004
- Dual Processor PowerBooks
- Apple Set Top Box with wireless networking, allowing the streaming of movies to your TV

This list is published for interest's sake and should not be seen as claims or rumors from MacRumors.com.

arn
Dec 30, 2003, 03:47 AM
This year's list might be dredging a bit more... since Page 2 might have caught the more interesting ones.

Of interest, the original 17" PowerBook hint didn't even make last year's reject list.

arn

joed
Dec 30, 2003, 03:48 AM
ok. now for the real post.

arn. are these dodgy rumours from the same sources as the reliable rumours?

maybe some of them are prototypes.

maradong
Dec 30, 2003, 03:48 AM
Let's hope for the best, like a nice g5 in the imacs.
I don't beleive in an iMac as a dual cpu machine. And definetly don't beleive in a dual cpu powerbook. But well, as always -


time will show

arn
Dec 30, 2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by joed
arn. are these dodgy rumours from the same sources as the reliable rumours?


No... that's why they are dodgy rumors. :)

arn

joed
Dec 30, 2003, 03:51 AM
so filtering out the good and bad sources then?

so 2004 will hopefully be more reliable maybe :) here's for an exciting year of rumours - I wonder how many PDA rumours we'll get. lol

Sabenth
Dec 30, 2003, 03:53 AM
Every year brings new Rumors and best of all we all know that some come true.

ie

iTunes Store
20 inch iMac


04 we hope brings mini iPod

30 inch desplays

g5 i Mac / powerbooks ???


hope so

hvfsl
Dec 30, 2003, 04:44 AM
Well I hope the Apple set top box comes true, at the moment I can stream TV accross my come network, but only my PCs with ATI cards can pick it up (I am using ATI's EasyShare).

I cant see any need for an Apple DV recorder, but I think it is quite posible for Apple to integrate the iSight into its high end displays.

I dont see any point in having dual cpu iMacs/PowerBooks, since a dual G4 will generate more heat than a single G5. I am expecting G5 iMacs and Powerbooks around June. Which is when I am intending to upgrade my Powerbook G4.:)

alset
Dec 30, 2003, 04:49 AM
iSight Cameras built into both Apple LCDs and PowerBooks


HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Laughable. This is likely the most preposterous idea I have heard all year. That's pretty good, considering that the year only has two days to go.

The only way a camera would fit in a PB would be to increase the thickness of the machine by a damaging (marketing-wise) amount.

Dan

StoneMtn
Dec 30, 2003, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by hvfsl
Well I hope the Apple set top box comes true, at the moment I can stream TV accross my come network, but only my PCs with ATI cards can pick it up (I am using ATI's EasyShare).
All you need to stream TV across your entire house (including to your Macs AND PCs) is a ReplayTV -- in fact, your Mac can act as another ReplayTV via DVArchive -- which includes being able to store and stream to any other set-top ReplayTV box or DVArchive equipped computer in the house....

I for one would welcome an Apple-branded set-top box along the lines of the ReplayTV. Capture in Quicktime, send to Mac, edit and burn with iDVD or Toast? That sounds GREAT!

Stonemtn

Anders A
Dec 30, 2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by alset
The only way a camera would fit in a PB would be to increase the thickness of the machine by a damaging (marketing-wise) amount.


That's not true. Ever seen a camera phone? It might not fit into the display of a PowerBook (yet), but there are so many other ways of putting a camera in a laptop. Think diferent!

bensisko
Dec 30, 2003, 07:33 AM
I'm suprised the many times the Apple PDA, tablet, and phone didn't make Arn's list (though I am probably mistakeing the numerous messageboard postings with the main page).

Hmmm... Think Steve could be working on an Apple branded Space Shuttle controlled by Mac OS X? I hope it's the new X1 designs, and not the current Orbiter design. I'll bet he will save that for WWDC... :)

Gizmotoy
Dec 30, 2003, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Anders A
That's not true. Ever seen a camera phone? It might not fit into the display of a PowerBook (yet), but there are so many other ways of putting a camera in a laptop. Think diferent!

Have you SEEN the iSight? No way that thing's going in a PowerBook. They could probably pull it off if they use one of those el-cheapo cameras they stick in cell phones, but that kind of invalidates the referenced rumor. It didn't say just any camera, it said the iSight.

Foocha
Dec 30, 2003, 07:40 AM
I think it's inevitable that cameras will make it into Apple's portables in some form eventually, in just the same way that microphones did before them. Anyone remember the Apple Mic that you were supposed to balance on top of your monitor in a manner reminiscent of today's iSight?

The only problem for Apple is that they've made such a big deal of the camera being position above the display, that somehow they will have to achieve this on the laptops as well - it could potentially protrude from the top of the screen and nest in a recess between the wrist-rests, below the track-pad button when closed.

Photorun
Dec 30, 2003, 07:48 AM
Too bad we can't have a "MR Forum Members Guess of Shame" list, you could throw up all the ($@%#) people thinking the G5 PB was around the corner (when told it wasn't), the iWalk, etc. (there's more but I haven't had coffee yet).

Starting off this year I sure hope smaller iPods are going to come up in the rumor column as a hit while coloured iPods are going to wind up as miss.

StoneMtn
Dec 30, 2003, 07:49 AM
The only problem for Apple is that they've made such a big deal of the camera being position above the display, that somehow they will have to achieve this on the laptops as well - it could potentially protrude from the top of the screen and nest in a recess between the wrist-rests, below the track-pad button when closed. [/B]
Someone needs to come out with a monitor that a camera can see through -- imagine looking at the other person on the monitor and looking directly at the camera...is this possible?

Stonemtn

Foocha
Dec 30, 2003, 07:52 AM
Hi StoneMtn - patent it immediately ;)

Anders A
Dec 30, 2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Gimzotoy
Have you SEEN the iSight? No way that thing's going in a PowerBook. They could probably pull it off if they use one of those el-cheapo cameras they stick in cell phones, but that kind of invalidates the referenced rumor. It didn't say just any camera, it said the iSight.

Obviously the iSight - as it is - would never fit in to the PowerBook! I have them both. I'm just saying - you can put a camera in a PowerBook. It doesnt even have to be in the display. It could be down in the base (above the keyboard) in a 45 degree angle or something.

Its possible - and i cant imagine it not happening - some day anyway.

ThomasJefferson
Dec 30, 2003, 08:00 AM
Hey, what about the Gevalia Coffee brewer attachment w/USB 2.0?

Perhaps we need a 2004 silly rumor prediction thread ...

awulf
Dec 30, 2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by ThomasJefferson
Hey, what about the Gevalia Coffee brewer attachment w/USB 2.0?

Perhaps we need a 2004 silly rumor prediction thread ...

I think there is enough of them already ;)

AppleMatt
Dec 30, 2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Gimzotoy
Have you SEEN the iSight? No way that thing's going in a PowerBook. They could probably pull it off if they use one of those el-cheapo cameras they stick in cell phones, but that kind of invalidates the referenced rumor. It didn't say just any camera, it said the iSight

Have you seen it taken apart? The camera itself it actually quite small, it's the accompanying circuitry that runs back through the case which takes up the room. It wouldn't be hard to separate the two, have the circuitry laying flat somewhere else in the machine and the camera (in the top) connected to it.

The only other foreseeable problem with the current iSights is the lens size, which could mess with the aesthetics of the display. The other issue is what about the people who want a display without an iSight, they don't want to pay extra for something they won't use.

AppleMatt

MongoTheGeek
Dec 30, 2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by alset
iSight Cameras built into both Apple LCDs and PowerBooks

The only way a camera would fit in a PB would be to increase the thickness of the machine by a damaging (marketing-wise) amount.


Dude, they have them in cell phones. You could probably get one into the screen frame thickness wise but the border is so narrow I doubt there is room without going to a bump or something.

Technically its no a challenge. Aestetically its a nightmare.

MongoTheGeek
Dec 30, 2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by bensisko
I'm suprised the many times the Apple PDA, tablet, and phone didn't make Arn's list (though I am probably mistakeing the numerous messageboard postings with the main page).

Hmmm... Think Steve could be working on an Apple branded Space Shuttle controlled by Mac OS X? I hope it's the new X1 designs, and not the current Orbiter design. I'll bet he will save that for WWDC... :)

If there is ever a MacWorld Houston we'll know this one it true. :)

rdowns
Dec 30, 2003, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by ThomasJefferson
Hey, what about the Gevalia Coffee brewer attachment w/USB 2.0?

Perhaps we need a 2004 silly rumor prediction thread ...

Silly boy. Everyone knows USB 2.0 isn't fast enought to brew coffee. You need FireWire 800.

cubist
Dec 30, 2003, 09:16 AM
I like the concept of these run-flat automobile tires with a high-speed link for data monitoring. If it's based on IEEE 1394, they could call it a ...

mk_in_mke
Dec 30, 2003, 09:48 AM
I mentioned in a previous post that not so many rumors have been going around (compared to last year...). Am I correct Arn?

I don't why Apple would drastically boost the powerbook line... Many people in this forum would like it but is it really what is needed? Steve Jobs mentioned that 2003 would be the year of the laptops, but Apple really needs to beef up ther powermac G5. Announcing to the world that the G5 was the fastest personal computer was just silly especially after reading the benchmarks.

Also I am under the impression that MWSF is the forum where MAJOR announcements are made... What would be the use of a big show if there no or little to announce... I would expect Steve Jobs to set the pace (once again) for the industry to follow...

1 - MajorSW revision for the IApps
2 - Safari Upgrade
3 - Pro Apps revised
4 - Major Speed Bumps for the G5 line
5 - New monitors
6 - The secret device (tablet / PDA?)
7 - Cheaper Ipods

Come on, STeve...

Matty P
Dec 30, 2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by StoneMtn
All you need to stream TV across your entire house (including to your Macs AND PCs) is a ReplayTV -- in fact, your Mac can act as another ReplayTV via DVArchive -- which includes being able to store and stream to any other set-top ReplayTV box or DVArchive equipped computer in the house....

I for one would welcome an Apple-branded set-top box along the lines of the ReplayTV. Capture in Quicktime, send to Mac, edit and burn with iDVD or Toast? That sounds GREAT!

Stonemtn

We will see a new iLife app a bit like Trinfinty Software's Seagull Video player, an iPhoto type app for video. This new app will allso be able to rip DVD's for playback over networks and include rendevous sharing like iTunes. All this will be building towards some new hardware that will replace the DVD/VHS. Apple will be releasing a new box that will record TV/Sat progs and archive them via 802.11e to your home machine for later playback via the new movie archive app thingy. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. You will also be able to listen to your iTunes and view your iPhoto Library. I want I want I want!!!!!!!!

bensisko
Dec 30, 2003, 10:13 AM
Actually, it's really not all that difficult. Has anyone seen the Sony Clies? They actually have a 2mp digital camera in there that records movies. Unfortunitly a camera in the laptop line would probably not be up to the standards of the iSight itself, but I could see a built-in Sony Vaio style camera (probably not at the hinge, but at the top of the lid). It really wouldn't add any weight/space to the powerbook.

Although I would imagine this would be more of an iBook thing (i.e. low quality for the non-professional, and the powerbook users plug-in the iSight since they would want higer quality to be able to share presentations over video, ect.).

It's very possible, and cheap to add this functionality to the powerbooks. Will it happen? Who knows. Sony has been doing it for a while now, but if Apple does it, you will soon see Dell notebooks with this built-in.

Winston Smith
Dec 30, 2003, 10:24 AM
Personally I'm desperately waiting for an Apple set top box, specifically to stream my iTunes library for the less computer literate in my family to use.
I.E. this solution needs to have Apple usability and simplicity behind it.

Separately Arn how about a summary of the rumours that we've seen nothing of both Page 1 and page 2. As a reminder of what we can still drool over potentially :D

digital1
Dec 30, 2003, 10:40 AM
Hey was that Apple DV recorder device on Page 2 Rumors? I never heard of it..... :confused:

Ling
Dec 30, 2003, 12:05 PM
What about the XServe? It's way overdue for an upgrade, especially since it's still running on G4s

Originally posted by mk_in_mke

1 - MajorSW revision for the IApps
2 - Safari Upgrade
3 - Pro Apps revised
4 - Major Speed Bumps for the G5 line
5 - New monitors
6 - The secret device (tablet / PDA?)
7 - Cheaper Ipods

Come on, STeve...

x86isslow
Dec 30, 2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by mk_in_mke


Also I am under the impression that MWSF is the forum where MAJOR announcements are made... What would be the use of a big show if there no or little to announce... I would expect Steve Jobs to set the pace (once again) for the industry to follow...

1 - MajorSW revision for the IApps
2 - Safari Upgrade
3 - Pro Apps revised
4 - Major Speed Bumps for the G5 line
5 - New monitors
6 - The secret device (tablet / PDA?)
7 - Cheaper Ipods

Come on, STeve...

mwsf is usually for consumer products. pro stuff might be updated later in january or with a silent update-on a tuesday of course.:D

SeaFox
Dec 30, 2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
The only other foreseeable problem with the current iSights is the lens size, which could mess with the aesthetics of the display. The other issue is what about the people who want a display without an iSight, they don't want to pay extra for something they won't use.

AppleMatt

That hasn't stopped cell phone makers from forcing camera phones onto the populace. I'd like a T-610 without the camera (and the accompaning price), thank you.

Besides, if you want to talk about people buying technology they don't want there's always the flat panel screen on the iMac. When many of us have perfectly fine CRT monitors right now. :o

aafuss1
Dec 30, 2003, 03:02 PM
What I'd like to see in a new revision to Apple's displays- x86 PC support ( ADC (Mac)/DVI(PC)-dual connectors)-so then it can be used with PC's or a ADC-VGA cable compatible for PC's.

Sean_Ryan
Dec 30, 2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by AppleMatt
The only other foreseeable problem with the current iSights is the lens size, which could mess with the aesthetics of the display.
AppleMatt

Minolta has overcome the ability of placing a high quality lens in a small "flat" space. Check out the
Minolta Dimage Xt (http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/main/MinoltaUSA/MUSAContent/CPG/CPGProducts?cname=dig&fname=dig_ps&Mname=DiMAGE_Xt)

HenMaster6000
Dec 30, 2003, 07:23 PM
BTW... there are group that WILL NOT buy apple products that have cams in them. Like the government, whom apple seems to have been trying to appeal to. I know that my dad can't have cams in anything (palm, phone, laptop) if he wants to take it to work.

ffakr
Dec 30, 2003, 09:19 PM
I'd just like to once again say that there is no way that Apple will come out with a 20" iMac. It simply doesn't make market sense.

:D