PDA

View Full Version : Mini iPod Buzz...

MacRumors
Dec 30, 2003, 04:02 PM
More than ever, the mainstream media seems to be picking up on pre-MacWorld expo rumors, with a flurry of mini iPod articles...

Slashdot.org (http://apple.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/12/30/1622209&mode=thread&tid=176&tid=188)
ThisIsLondon.com (Evening Standard) (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/8365047)
SFGate.com (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2003/12/30/BUG3C406T61.DTL)
CBS Marketwatch (http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/story.asp?guid=%7B0C69A496-0D47-4DC4-88D7-6C4F5B6B7AE9%7D&siteid=google&dist=google)
Scotsman.com (http://page2.macrumors.com/c.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.business.scotsman.com%2Ftechnology.cfm%3Fid%3D1421702003)

While some claim more authority than others... the source of all these articles appears to be a common Reuters article (http://www.reuters.com/locales/newsArticle.jsp?type=technologyNews&locale=en_IN&storyID=4039514) published on December 24th, based on the usual rumor sites. As a result, these articles lend no more credance to the story than that of the Mac Rumor web.

"Original" sources of the rumor include:

Apple Turns (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031210031754.shtml)
Page 2 MacRumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031215023902.shtml)
Appleinsider (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031222151444.shtml)
ThinkSecret (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031223100759.shtml)
MacRumors (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031229032549.shtml)

Steamboatwillie
Dec 30, 2003, 04:06 PM
One would think that journalists would have more integrity!

xtekdiver
Dec 30, 2003, 04:07 PM
If nothing else, it demonstrates that there is a huge demand for such a device and with a low price point. My only question is how will this kind of device impact sales of larger capacity iPods? My guess is that sales for the larger version will be impacted significantly. People plunk down $300 - 400 because they have to, but if you can have a smaller capcity drive for only $100 then that will be the hot ticket. Perhaps the larger iPods will evolve into video devices.

Tiauguinho
Dec 30, 2003, 04:09 PM
Heh! Here we go with the hype! Im anxious to see what will happen on the 6th of January! And specially anxious to see everybody discussing on the Macrumors channel on iChat before the keynote, then as Steve speaks, its only "WOW, they own my wallet"! :D

MOM
Dec 30, 2003, 04:11 PM
Good for MacRumors to point out how this rumor is exploding and how mainstream media is publishing what is really just-RUMOR. Having said that, I've found in the past that Apple will let a few word out when expectations run way ahead of what they can deliver. Their continued silence as the mainstream press start reporting this suggests that there is some truth to the whoole thing.

lewdvig
Dec 30, 2003, 04:12 PM
these articles make it sound like a foregone conclusion.

I hope SJ announces G5 iMacs and no new iPods just to screw these 'news' sites. I especially hate CBS.

no crazy hype page on apple.com yet.

Modano
Dec 30, 2003, 04:21 PM
Oh mama, you know Steve is just seething with rage right now. Another year, another keynote surprise out of the bag.

JoeRadar
Dec 30, 2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
the source of all these articles appears to be a common Reuters article (http://www.reuters.com/locales/newsArticle.jsp?type=technologyNews&locale=en_IN&storyID=4039514) published on December 24th, based on the usual rumor sites.
Great analysis! Five publications that all use a common source still only represents one source of information.

The CIA could use someone like you!

(PS. I like how Slashdot is considered "mainstream media" now)

Arcady
Dec 30, 2003, 04:24 PM
My favorite one is from the Evening Standard, which says "manufacturer Apple has announced a cut-price mini version."

<sarcasm> Wow, when did Apple announce that? </sarcasm>

:rolleyes:

Turismo86
Dec 30, 2003, 04:25 PM
Tickle Me Elmo had more coverage. It's just the media writing about the hot new thing. This too shall pass

Steamboatwillie
Dec 30, 2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Modano
Oh mama, you know Steve is just seething with rage right now. Another year, another keynote surprise out of the bag.

Or... laughing his ass off 'cause there are no "Mini iPods" :o

James Craner
Dec 30, 2003, 04:44 PM
I wonder if their is any downside to Apple potentially releasing a much cheaper ipod so soon after Christmas. I suspect there may be the odd parent or two who was persuaded by 'little jonnie' to fork out for a top of the line ipod as 10 and 20 gigs were out of stock, when in a few days later they would have been able to buy a much cheaper ipod to store all of 'little jonnies' music collection! I can see some backlash coming if they do price it as low as some people are predicting.

gothamac
Dec 30, 2003, 04:47 PM
This article is designed to increase the stock price heading into expo. On the 6th, when the products are officially announced, the big investors will sell and the stock will go down, just like when the G5 was introduced.

J-Squire
Dec 30, 2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by xtekdiver
People plunk down $300 - 400 because they have to, but if you can have a smaller capcity drive for only $100 then that will be the hot ticket.

I disagree. If people forked out the higher amounts simply because they had to, then no other iPod would sell other than the 10GB model, as the others would be overkill. But the facts show that the 20GB model is the number 3 MP3 device in the US, and the 40GB is the number 5. There will still be a huge demand for large MP3 music devices for people with 10+ GB of music.

The mini-pods just allow Apple to fill places 2 and 4 in the top five list!

bensisko
Dec 30, 2003, 04:54 PM
There have been a couple times where I've been at the Apple store and they laugh at what the "rumor sites" are saying, the latest one being the duel processor powerbooks.

I think that, with the iPod and the iTMS, there will be more people paying close attention as to the Macworld event. Not just for the Keynote, but also for news on what other iPod accessories will be announced.

I just hope that Steve doesn't get on stage, brag about iTMS and iPod, announce a point release for iPhoto, iMovie, and how great Final Cut Pro 4 is and not release anything new. There is a good chance that there will be no new (or at least exciting) announements during the keynote.

balconycollapse
Dec 30, 2003, 05:00 PM
If there is this much clamor and it turns out to be true apple is going to sell boatloads of these minis.

pyrotoaster
Dec 30, 2003, 05:02 PM
I saw this in the CNN Headline News Ticker the other day (that's how nuts things are).

And arn, no mention of MacUnderground? I write about rumors, too (and I cite the original source!)... ;)

Macmaniac
Dec 30, 2003, 05:07 PM
Everyone is gonna be real sad if there are no miniPods. Lets all cross our fingers:)

Pants
Dec 30, 2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Arcady
My favorite one is from the Evening Standard, which says "manufacturer Apple has announced a cut-price mini version."

<sarcasm> Wow, when did Apple announce that? </sarcasm>

:rolleyes:

I wouldnt be surprised if the evening standard article was just picking up on the earlier daily telegraph article, which was on flagged on their front page with an article on page 5. The telegraph is a pretty big, national newspaper in the UK, whilst the standard, although big, is just for London. Although the word 'expected' features a lot, it read this morning as a 'definite', down to the expected pricing (65 quid), storage and options. It would be unusual (and bad editorial) for the telegraph to publish a note on their front page based purely on rumour and not say it was merely a rumour. Which leads me to believe there is more substance in this...but then, it is christmas week, and no-doubt the hacks would rather be down the pub than checking stories... :)

since you have to register, heres the article from www.telegraph.co.uk...

The most popular high-tech toy this Christmas - the Apple iPod - is about to be usurped by a bargain priced mini version.

The iPod was a worldwide runaway sales success before Christmas and became the ultimate celebrity gadget with the Beckhams, Ronan Keating, Robbie Williams and David Bowie all enthusing about its virtues.

_

New iPod will cost 385 less but will hold fewer songs

But yesterday Apple dealt a depressing blow to the 1.3 million people who paid up to 450 for the small digital jukebox when news slipped out that it is about to unveil a smaller version costing around 65.

Steve Jobs, chief executive of Apple, is expected to unveil the smaller, cheaper iPods at an exhibition in San Francisco next week.

In addition to the lower-cost iPods, expected to hold up to 800 songs, Apple will introduce different coloured cases for the current white iPod, which holds up to 10,000 songs.

The new mini-iPods are intended for people who want a digital music player but do not need one that can hold music from more CDs than most people have any intention of ever owning.

Before Christmas, high street store chains such as John Lewis said the iPod was flying off shop shelves and the demand was outstripping supply. Many stores had to take post-Christmas orders from frustrated shoppers.

The Apple iPod weighs less than two compact discs and, as well as storing music, holds digital camera images and can be used as a dictation machine and alarm clock. Dedicated iPod cases have been designed by Pucci and Christian Dior.

inblosam
Dec 30, 2003, 05:15 PM
Remember that one feature that was announced with Panther long before it came out, but then was tucked away...iPod at Home or something? Well basically it syncs your Home directory on your ipod, so when you go somewhere else, you've got your stuff.

I have a feeling that Jobs is saving this for this time, giving great motivation for us to not buy the smaller ones (though they will still sell) but get the advantages of the higher capacities. I love my 40GB. I only have like 1.5 GB on there right now, but I could use it for anything like digital video or DVDs, etc.

I think there is a lot more in store with iPods than meets the eye, especially these bigger ones. Have any of apple's products been better when they were cheaper? I don't think so.

Les Kern
Dec 30, 2003, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Modano

Or maybe, just maybe, it was leaked by Apple, and there is even bigger news.
I doubt it, but I'll watch.

bertagert
Dec 30, 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
Everyone is gonna be real sad if there are no miniPods. Lets all cross our fingers:)

I won't be. And I truely believe there will not be "mini"' ipods. Currently, there is no reason for Apple to bring these out.

These rumors sarted one fine day on Page 2. The, other sites started adding their own opinion/fluff. They even go as far as quoting one another. The only reason I would believe they would come out is because Think Secret said so. However, I still wonder why Applle would canabalized ipod sales like this. The ipod is selling so well.

My vote: No "mini" ipods from Apple at MWSF. Quote me on the 6th. I can take some bashing if I'm wrong.

dongmin
Dec 30, 2003, 05:35 PM
If nothing else, it demonstrates that there is a huge demand for such a device and with a low price point. My only question is how will this kind of device impact sales of larger capacity iPods? My guess is that sales for the larger version will be impacted significantly. People plunk down $300 - 400 because they have to, but if you can have a smaller capcity drive for only $100 then that will be the hot ticket. Perhaps the larger iPods will evolve into video devices. I think Apple has the bigger picture in mind. They want people to be locked in to the iPod-iTMS-AAC experience. It's all tied together.

Think of the iPod as the new PlayStation. People are gonna get attached. And they'll upgrade as new features are introduced. I think it's good long-term planning.

Apple is competing not only in terms of the hardware, but also in the music store, the file format, and the very way of buying music.

caveman_uk
Dec 30, 2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Macmaniac
I won't. I've already got an ipod....:rolleyes:

dongmin
Dec 30, 2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by bensisko
There have been a couple times where I've been at the Apple store and they laugh at what the "rumor sites" are saying, the latest one being the duel processor powerbooks. They can laugh all they want, but they don't know any more than you do. In fact, if you're careful to separate the trash speculation sites (e.g. MacOSRumors) from the more credible sources, then you can do pretty well in anticipating.

Please, it's 'dual,' not 'duel.' I'm not harping on you, I just see that a lot on this forum. On second thought, 'dueling processors' sound pretty cool...

aldo
Dec 30, 2003, 05:48 PM
Personally I think there has got to be something much bigger going on here.

I mean this sort of press coverage is crazy for an mp3 player. I think Apple will (has to?) follow this up with a lowcost eMac/iMac sucessor. The iMac is scheduled for a new form factor and people seem to have forgot that now.

Also, remember that Apple has a huge overstock probably of G4 chips that they can't sell, apart from in eMacs and Powerbooks (do Powerbooks take the same CPU as eMacs?)

Personally I think 2004 is going to be the year when Apple gains a lot of market-share, like maybe put them upto 5-10%. Here's hoping...

Sheebahawk
Dec 30, 2003, 05:56 PM
I saw it on the business news bullets on my elevator in the building I work in. Apple may anounce significantly lower priced ipods. Macrumors is too famous, its available to anyone, and its so popular too. should make a more exclusive site, that no one knows about, (except a select few, me included) with even better and more accurate rumors.

now I'm in a pickle, should I buy a used 20 gigger, (I can get a good deal) or a mini one? I need the harddrive space.... I guess I just get to wait until fourth gen rolls out.

williwilli
Dec 30, 2003, 05:59 PM
http://www.sejus.com/earth2willi/forums/viewtopic.php?t=416

While you are there, download some free music for your iPod, too!:D

jadam
Dec 30, 2003, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I posted the first story about mini iPods on slashdot :cool:

pkradd
Dec 30, 2003, 06:33 PM
The following comes from The December 30 Mercury News:

DRAMATICALLY SMALLER MODELS NOT LIKELY
By Jon Fortt
Mercury News

Don't count on seeing dramatically smaller or cheaper iPod music players in the new year, despite Internet rumors that Apple Computer will announce them next week in San Francisco.

For Apple CEO Steve Jobs to introduce such a product during his speech Tuesday at Macworld Conference & Expo, Apple would have to either unveil a breakthrough hard drive technology, begin selling iPods based on the same flash memory storage cards that many digital cameras use, or adopt a new small drive made by Cornice.

Apple does not typically focus its engineering efforts on hard drives. Just last month, an Apple vice president told the Mercury News that the Cupertino-based company has no plans to make a music player based on flash storage cards. And a spokesman familiar with Cornice's business said he is not aware of a relationship with Apple.

It is possible for Apple to change the iPod's shape slightly, as the company did when it introduced slimmer versions a year ago. But the Toshiba hard drives that store music in the iPod are about 2 inches wide by 3 inches tall, and a third of an inch thick -- not much smaller than the iPod itself. A similar drive from Hitachi has a slightly wider and shorter shape.

Apple also could drop its prices slightly; its 10-gigabyte iPod sells for $300, while rivals Dell and Creative sell 20-gigabyte models for about $50 less. Apple could drop the entry-level iPod's price to match those -- but it would be out of character for the company, since the iPod, at current prices, seemed to be a strong seller this holiday season.

The third option would be a device based on a miniature hard drive made by Cornice, a Colorado-based start up. Rio and RCA began using the 1.5 GB Cornice drive in music players this past summer.

Speculation among Apple fans typically runs rampant in the weeks leading up to Macworld. In recent years, rumor Web sites have cited unnamed sources promising that Apple would announce a tablet computer, a Palm-like organizer, a home theater appliance, and several other items that never materialized. In some cases, the rumor sites get the news right -- but more often, they're off the mark.

SiliconAddict
Dec 30, 2003, 06:39 PM
*puts his ear to the ground*

Does anyone hear that? I swear....hmmmm

*checks the ground again*

Ya I swear it sounds like a stampede. Everyone get the heck out of the way OPERATION TSUNAMI is about to take affect.
LOL that would be great if that was the code name for these devices: TSUNAMI

the_mole1314
Dec 30, 2003, 07:02 PM
/. falling all over the rumored mini-iPod's? Wow. These are the same guys who killed it when it first came out!

Sabenth
Dec 30, 2003, 07:03 PM
Just to join the rumor mill was in melbourne yesterday and mini iPods are all on peoples mind brace yourselfs if there real.. even i will be getting one and if i like that ill be getting a bigger one to go with a new Power book

aldo
Dec 30, 2003, 07:38 PM
lol, I think Apple is going to HAVE to introduce these at MacWorld otherwise people are going to be *very* pissed.

I would laugh if they just sent Jobs onto the stage with a 40gb one and said it's a 2gb one and it looks exactly the same and they will be out 'in the summer sometime :P'...

slimshady101
Dec 30, 2003, 08:12 PM
This is to all the dumb*sses floating around who arent happy with this unconfirmed news about the mini Ipods. I'm sure these dumbos just bought an iPod or paid huge $$$ for an iPod earlier that they dont like others getting mini-Ipods for lesser $$$.

Screw you ! to all those people who hate this unconfirmed news.

beatle888
Dec 30, 2003, 08:17 PM
:D please. i bet they joined just to make that comment alone.

singletrack
Dec 30, 2003, 08:40 PM
BBC Radio Five mentioned mini-iPods also this morning and quoted the 65 price tag for 800 song capacity.

The BBC are usually extra careful with rumours, especially after the whole Iraq dossier thing.

Who knows, if true, it's pretty cool. How they've got it down to that price, if they have, is slightly baffling.

Travis Novak
Dec 30, 2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by aldo
Personally I think there has got to be something much bigger going on here.

I mean this sort of press coverage is crazy for an mp3 player. I think Apple will (has to?) follow this up with a lowcost eMac/iMac sucessor. The iMac is scheduled for a new form factor and people seem to have forgot that now.

Also, remember that Apple has a huge overstock probably of G4 chips that they can't sell, apart from in eMacs and Powerbooks (do Powerbooks take the same CPU as eMacs?)

Personally I think 2004 is going to be the year when Apple gains a lot of market-share, like maybe put them upto 5-10%. Here's hoping...
I am one of the few who hopes that Apple does not gain market share. When companies get larger they tend to not make quite as good of products(Gateway). Apple's just fine as is. They are turning good profits and have enough market share for most major software titles.

Steamboatwillie
Dec 30, 2003, 08:50 PM
You know, IF they actually do make a $100 *anything*Pod I'll buy one. I already have a 20gb gen 3, that I love, but for $100 I'd get one "Just Because" I'm sure one of my kids would use it, maybe I would take up mega super high impact jogging for more than 20 minutes...

:p

snofseth
Dec 30, 2003, 08:55 PM
what if the "mini" ipods are not smaller in a physical size because that seems to me like it would make it more expensive the smaller it is. I hope for a 5 gb. 4 and 2 seem weird to me. How bout 5 and 2.5 those seem more normal to me., but I am happy with my fourty I only have 5gb of music, but they had not 20's. I hope apple also anounces new normal price Ipods new form factor bigger hardrives something cool. God bless the compusa tap program since I got my first gen 3 10gb ipod in april I have had like for different ipods two 10's a 30 and now a 40. It is so awesome

robg
Dec 30, 2003, 09:34 PM
I haven't been following the buzz so I do not know if this has been brought up yet, but what are the chances of using an IBM MicroDrive for the mini iPods? It would conform to the form factor that is in the above "leaked photo" (same size as a compact flash card). Although I agree that the photo shows a device that fails to meet a lot of design standards for usability (and I don't see colors), it looks like a microdrive device.

As far as pricing, 3-4 years ago when they were first released a 512MB micrdrive went for $140. Surely they are up to 2GB and are within a usable price range by now. I haven't been following development of the drives so I couldn't tell you for sure.

Spidermanjohn
Dec 30, 2003, 10:37 PM
Directly from the mouth of an Apple rep...:D

JGoodloe
Dec 30, 2003, 11:04 PM
If nothing else, it demonstrates that there is a huge demand for such a device and with a low price point. My only question is how will this kind of device impact sales of larger capacity iPods? My guess is that sales for the larger version will be impacted significantly. People plunk down $300 - 400 because they have to, but if you can have a smaller capcity drive for only $100 then that will be the hot ticket. Perhaps the larger iPods will evolve into video devices.

I think that "if the rumor is true" the miniPod will be for kids to put their free Pepsi tunes on. If serious music lovers buy the smaller miniPods instead of the larger iPods, they will still have to buy a new larger iPod when the miniPod is full.
Maybe a win win situation.

Jim Goodloe
http://homepage.mac.com/jgoodloe

d.f
Dec 31, 2003, 07:56 AM
I'm sure it's no surprise that Apple pay top flight PR companies in all key territories.

IF this story was way off the mark or just plain wrong, their PR company would have easily killed this story. They haven't. So i don't think there's any doubt it (new iPods) WILL happen.

but as an afternote....i seriously think that there will be a surprise that is aimed at the mainstream (maybe also PC users), maybe a software programme (iWord) or a universally compatible OS....

Apple are the best when is comes to marketing and i think letting the media 'spoil' the iPod news, is a sacrifice to get EVERYONE watching the keynote. IMO

ddbean
Dec 31, 2003, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by d.f
...Apple are the best when is comes to marketing and i think letting the media 'spoil' the iPod news, is a sacrifice to get EVERYONE watching the keynote. IMO

Sacrifice? I'd consider it smart and FREE Apple marketing to cash in on THE hottest xmas item of the year.

Even NY Post is getting in on the action...
"7:03AM Apple Computer may unveil $100 iPod next week at MacWorld -- NY Post (AAPL) 21.28: The New York Post reports rumors that Apple will unveil a smaller, $100 iPod next week at the MacWorld trade show. The move, widely discussed on Apple fan Web sites, could pre-empt a number of challengers to the popular digital-music player next year. However, an analyst at Jupiter Research is skeptical, noting that sales of $300 and $400 iPods remain strong, and that "the hallmark of Apple has never been lower prices, it's been the best experience." "

man, 6 days and counting!!!!

All we need now is for Hansen to do a promo "mBop with the new mPod"

pkradd
Dec 31, 2003, 08:58 AM
Apple dosen't comment on rumours. Never has. Pre MacWorlds are always full of them. The only time Apple does anything is when a photograph is published of a new device that was stolen or unauthorised. When they ask a picture to be removed, you can be assured that it is real. This has happened in the past. So far no "real" photos have been published. Apple also doesn't put out misinformation. It's against the law for a public company to do that. FTC rules don't allow that. If Apple did such leaks to get their stock price to rise, they would be in deep doo doo (to quote MJ).

Here's an interesting photo which is on the Target Website.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009KO3A.16._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Complete page is here. (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-1/qid=1072864551/ref=sr_2_1/602-6687099-5530213?asin=B00009KO3A&qid%5F=1072864551)

Photorun
Dec 31, 2003, 09:05 AM
This is silly, silly as the time Readers Digest actually quoted The Onion as a credible news source (shows you how clueless and out-of-touch RD is). Though yeah, there's a good chance, these news agencies reporting this could wear some egg here. I mean, if they want credible they should be quoting MacRumors.com... er... no wait... ?

Photorun
Dec 31, 2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by pkradd

Here's an interesting photo which is on the Target Website.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00009KO3A.16._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Complete page is here. (http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=2-1/qid=1072864551/ref=sr_2_1/602-6687099-5530213?asin=B00009KO3A&qid%5F=1072864551)

What in the HELL!?!? Some dork Photoshopped the top of the iPod off on a curve?!?! That's the stupidest thing I've seen and no people, that's not some leak image so no moron go saying that it's that. Kinda important to have a display on an MP3 player. Apple should slap Target with some legal something for that image, they should have just left it with the iPod trailing out of the frame. How stupid.

greenstork
Dec 31, 2003, 01:33 PM
Hey arn, I was just watching CNBC and they were talking about all of the rumors floating around about $100 miniPods. Their "market analyst" basically debunked any ideas of new iPod coming in priced at $100 and said it would surely be more expensive.

However, of note in the TV summary of the rumors, they mentioned popular websites posting rumors about $100 iPods and they mentioned MacRumors amongst others.

Congrats, your site is being mentioned on TV.

jayscheuerle
Dec 31, 2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by J-Squire
There will still be a huge demand for large MP3 music devices for people with 10+ GB of music.

I've got 37 GB of music at home and I'd be more than happy with a gig or two to take to go at the right price. I'd have a couple of "hit the road" playlists and that would be that. People who are putting 30 gigs worth of music are operating from a different paradigm than those who just want some music for a drive or a long walk. Having all my music ready at all times wherever I am seems like techno-overkill to me. Just because I CAN do it doesn't mean that I should or that it would be more beneficial. Sure, there are times where it would be cool, but it's certainly not worth the upcharge to ME.

2 and counting...

jayscheuerle
Dec 31, 2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by ddbean
Sacrifice? I'd consider it smart and FREE Apple marketing to cash in on THE hottest xmas item of the year.

Even NY Post is getting in on the action...

All this will do is stop people who were going to buy some competitor's device and have them hold off for a week to see what Apple lets loose. What's wrong with that? Frankly, with everyone running out to take advantage of post-holiday sales, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple released this "rumor" on its own ahead of time to cause just such a pause....

iMook
Jan 1, 2004, 01:24 AM
Here's (http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/this_is_not_the_new_mini_ipod.php) an unofficial vision of what a miniPod could look like. I was thinking about something similar, except with the touch bar on the right side (side of device, not front) and the unmarked touch button above it. Of course, I doubt the screen will be of such a high resolution. Maybe the same screen as the iPod or maybe even truncate the height a bit. Of course, Gizmodo also reprints an article arguing that there will be no miniPod. Go figure.

doogle
Jan 1, 2004, 04:06 AM
OK some more edits...
http://infotyte.adc.rmit.edu.au/stuff/upods_color.jpg

jadam
Jan 1, 2004, 12:32 PM
Im willing to bet a lot, that these new mini iPods are going to use the new toshiba 1" hard drives...

How come no one talks about them at all? everyone is like, cornice this, and flash that....

NO!

And I think these debunkers are apple haters who are scared that if apple actually releases something like this, that apple will be at the top again.

billyboy
Jan 1, 2004, 04:37 PM
If my old man, Mr I love Windows, says on the strength of a rumour in the Daily Telegraph, that he is going to buy a small iPod when it comes out, and will definitely make his next computer a Powerbook, because Apple stuff looks so easy to use, then I can assure you that if Steve delivers one of these suckers next week he will be on the road to ruling the computer world forever.

wake_up
Jan 1, 2004, 08:50 PM
maybe :confused: you guys should check out this site from Philips (they introduced that black 15 Gb mp3 player, beautiful but bulky)

In January (this month) they will also come out with a new (small form factor) mp3 hard based player with 1.5 Gb.
It looks OK but not spectacular.

It's a flashbased website so do a few clicks; first go to this site: http://www.microsites.ce.philips.com/microsites/GB/en/ttdyt/ then click the post-it: "the things" then choose mp3 players and finaly select the third (most right) one.

cheers :cool:

sushi
Jan 1, 2004, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by jadam
Im willing to bet a lot, that these new mini iPods are going to use the new toshiba 1" hard drives...

How come no one talks about them at all? everyone is like, cornice this, and flash that....

NO!

And I think these debunkers are apple haters who are scared that if apple actually releases something like this, that apple will be at the top again.
Right now it is all speculation. More than likely, no one on these boards knows for sure. And if they do, they cannot tell due to NDAs.

Bottom line: If mini iPods are introduced at MWSF, they could be either HD or Flash Memory based.

In just a few days from now, we will know for sure.

Sushi

sushi
Jan 1, 2004, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by billyboy
If my old man, Mr I love Windows, says on the strength of a rumour in the Daily Telegraph, that he is going to buy a small iPod when it comes out, and will definitely make his next computer a Powerbook, because Apple stuff looks so easy to use, then I can assure you that if Steve delivers one of these suckers next week he will be on the road to ruling the computer world forever.
A mini iPod, if they cost around $100, would be a great gift.

Also, for those of us who need a smaller and lighter MP3 player, the mini iPod could fill those needs.

In my case, I need both. And I paid more for my Flash Memory based player than I did my iPod -- and the Flash Memory player only has 256MB. But it works great and fills the void that my iPod cannot.

Sure looking forward to next week and hoping to see a cool mini iPod being introduced.

Sushi

NeatGekko
Jan 2, 2004, 02:33 AM
MINI IPOD FACTS:

They are going to be HD based but loaded with RAM so it won't skip.

They will ship with multiple colors.

Small...comes with an armband for runners.

NOT $100!!! Are you kidding me! isights aren't even that cheap! This is Apple we are talking about! Its gunna be good. Look for the price to drop around $250.

And now for the size: NO 2BG (weak) Apple will show off a nice 4.5 GB in multiple colors. 2 models in muli color is a nightmare. They will have the one size only.

Some of you may laugh, but this is whats coming...believe it or not. Its fact now. I will smile on the 6th when I turn out to be EXACTLY right. Who else believes me? I will smile again when I'm right and you're wrong. PEACE

AlanAudio
Jan 2, 2004, 08:08 AM
To those who wonder why anybody would want a low-capacity MiniPod instead of being able to carry around their entire music collection, I would suggest that maybe the idea behind it is a different one.

Instead of carrying around every CD that you have, maybe the MiniPod is intended for users to carry around only their new and current music, but in a smaller package.

Where will this music come from ?

iTMS of course.

Offer it at an attractive price, make it cool and desirable and you introduce a huge bunch of new customers to AAC. When their MiniPods are full, you can still sell them a grown-up iPod too.

Far from eroding iPod sales, it could actually enhance them and will further boost iTMS. More importantly, it makes AAC more widely used and further secures it's future along with the ipod itself.

The MiniPod would not be a lesser product, it would be a new product intended for a different role.

FlamDrag
Jan 2, 2004, 09:48 AM
I've yet to see a mini-iPod idea that a person could easily use with one hand and still read the screen. While a horizontal format is nice to make it short vertically and keep a wide, two-line display, the buttons are difficult to access with one hand while trying to see the screen.

This is one reason that the current iPod works well in a vertical format. Same for many mobile phones. I expect any new smaller ipods to have a vertical format similar to the current versions. I consider one-handed use nearly essential for a device like this.

Remember, Apple is keen on ease-of-use.

maxterpiece
Jan 2, 2004, 04:20 PM
nobody seems to have explained how the financial side of this thing works... How does apple make a 4 GB mini HD and all this other junk cost under $200?

NeatGekko
Jan 2, 2004, 05:13 PM
It will land at $199 or $249. NO such thing as a $100 ipod. Period.

bensisko
Jan 2, 2004, 05:52 PM
To those who are wondering about how Apple can do this and that, remember that, should this product emerge, they have had teams researching every aspect of this for a good long time, finding answers that ordinary civilians don't have access to. So saying that "Apple can't do this because of price or usability" might very well be wrong.

the_mole1314
Jan 2, 2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by NeatGekko
It will land at $199 or $249. NO such thing as a $100 ipod. Period.

How would you like your 'I told you so', now or latter?

As we get closer, things are getting interesting.

NeatGekko
Jan 3, 2004, 03:14 AM
I will be sending out my "I told you so's" tuesday morning. :)

sushi
Jan 3, 2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by NeatGekko
I will be sending out my "I told you so's" tuesday morning. :)
You ask in your subject line, "Why is it so hard to believe?"

Simple, you have no credibility nor track record with us. Anybody can come on the board at the last minute and spout all kinds of things as facts. That's easy.

Why do you expect us to believe you? I would love to hear your answer to this question.

Anyhow, next week you will either be the laughing stock of the board for missing out on your sure thing projections (more than likely) or you will be held in awe for knowing what was going to happen before it did (not likely).

Either way, the rest of us will have fun next week seeing what Apple has up their sleeves.

Sushi

NeatGekko
Jan 3, 2004, 02:27 PM
I see now that I am going to get no respect for the information I have, if I don't at least hint on how I get it. I will admit now, to being a lowly apple store employ. I hope nobody expects me to reveal which one...for crying out loud! However, I will say it happens to be close to MR. Jobs heart. Cheers

osx10
Jan 3, 2004, 04:25 PM
A guy I know flies with one of the members of the iPod design team. He flies with him from his home to the Valley once a week and says that this person has become increasingly quiet in the last few weeks. He, "won't say anything about his team's new design for the iPod." This person did slip the fact that the new iPod will use a 4 Gig Hard Drive made at a small factory in California.

NeatGekko
Jan 3, 2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by osx10
A guy I know flies with one of the members of the iPod design team. He flies with him from his home to the Valley once a week and says that this person his become increasingly quiet in the last few weeks. He, "won't say anything about his team's new design for the iPod." This person did slip the fact that the new iPod will use a 4 Gig Hard Drive made at a small factory in Calafornia.

I second that motion. *smiles*

sushi
Jan 3, 2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by iMook
Here's (http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/this_is_not_the_new_mini_ipod.php) an unofficial vision of what a miniPod could look like. I was thinking about something similar, except with the touch bar on the right side (side of device, not front) and the unmarked touch button above it. Of course, I doubt the screen will be of such a high resolution. Maybe the same screen as the iPod or maybe even truncate the height a bit. Of course, Gizmodo also reprints an article arguing that there will be no miniPod. Go figure.
One thing to consider when speculating about the mini iPod design, is that Apple usually designs their products to used left-handed or right-handed.

Therefore, I would speculate that whatever Apple offers will maintain this philosphy of design.

Sushi