PDA

View Full Version : New iBooks


arn
May 20, 2002, 05:51 AM
Apple.com/ibook (http://www.apple.com/ibook/) has been updated with new iBook specs (http://www.apple.com/ibook/specs.html):

600mhz or 700mhz PowerPC G3
100MHz system bus
128 or 256MB RAM
20GB or 30GB HD
ATI Mobility Radeon with 16MB or RAM

Apple's Online Store (http://store.apple.com) does not yet reflect these changes.

crassusad44
May 20, 2002, 05:56 AM
512k L2 cache as well. now i'm wondering; what kind of G3 chip could this be????

Ensign Paris
May 20, 2002, 05:57 AM
The UK store is down for maintenance, I like the new specs, I just wish I needed one.

Ensign

sluthy
May 20, 2002, 06:02 AM
Cool! I got the first post in! :D

Anyway, at least they can run Quartx Extreme now. No G4s though...

sluthy
May 20, 2002, 06:03 AM
Come on, in the time I took to type the first post, two people got in.:mad:

dricci
May 20, 2002, 06:05 AM
The front page of apple.com (US) is rotating between the new iBook and the Xserve. The new iBook screen clearly states that it offers "Up to" 40 GB hd, and it's mentiond on one area on the iBook page, but there seems to be conflicting info on some of the Apple pages saying you can only get 20 or 30 GB drives. Hopefully they can clarify this a little better.

blakespot
May 20, 2002, 06:06 AM
Fortuitous timing! Once my Amiga sells, it's new iBook for me.



blakespot

crassusad44
May 20, 2002, 06:08 AM
Originally posted by sluthy
Come on, in the time I took to type the first post, two people got in.:mad:

you got to type fast my man ;)

BTW, Quartz Extreme will be nice one these babies! With reports on current iBooks running Jagwire bloody fast, think about adding Quartz Extreme and an extra 100 MHz.

Still wondering what kind of G3 is in these new machines though. arn, any ideas (could it be the Sahara? 512k, fits the description)

emdezet
May 20, 2002, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by dricci
The new iBook screen clearly states that it offers "Up to" 40 GB hd, ... on some of the Apple pages saying you can only get 20 or 30 GB drives. Hopefully they can clarify this a little better.

The answer is simple: BTO!

Jeez, I'm glad the G4 didn't make it into the iBook just yet.
My 500/DVD would have been scrap plastic :eek:
And I just bought AppleCare!

Dunepilot
May 20, 2002, 06:17 AM
It's not clear whether these machines really do have 512k, or 256k Level 2 cache on their G3s. The technicals specs page says they do, but the main ibook page states 256k:

" Turbocharged with a fast 700MHz PowerPC G3 processor, 256K on-chip cache running at full processor speed, a 100MHz system bus and 256MB of SDRAM"

well. which is it, then?

emdezet
May 20, 2002, 06:23 AM
Apple.com/de has an interesting feature.

http://www.apple.com/de/ibook/

Take the 22" Cinema Display for a spin :)

OSeXy!
May 20, 2002, 06:27 AM
A modest, quiet, but well targeted update. Apple seems to be on a roll. Can't wait to see the new towers...

crassusad44
May 20, 2002, 06:28 AM
Both Apple.com and Apple.com/no now says 512k. 512k is also on the Apple.com/de site.

DannyZR2
May 20, 2002, 06:31 AM
no audio in jacks??? did the prev models have audio in?

I'd say this is the first ibook (700mhz 14.1") to surpass the features of the much love pismo500 machines. ..

Ensign Paris
May 20, 2002, 06:32 AM
I think we can besure of the 512k L2 Cache now, Apple do seem to have released an awful lot recently.

LONG LIVE MACHINTOSH!

Ensign

Macmaniac
May 20, 2002, 06:38 AM
This is great, a speed bump is just what they needed! This confirms by belief that we have to get faster towers at MWNY!!

Ensign Paris
May 20, 2002, 06:58 AM
The US Apple store is down now, so it should be online soon for us to start configureing iBooks most of us will never buy :)

Ensign

Drewz
May 20, 2002, 06:58 AM
Hey .... sup ... the new ibooks specs sounds good to me !!! sweet !! ....

But what the difference between 512K L2 or 256K L2, is it goin to be a big improvement in performances ???

britboy
May 20, 2002, 07:20 AM
Whilst it's real nice that the iBook has been updated, has the 512k L2 cache, and a radeon graphics card... 128Mb RAM? Come on, that's no where near good enough to run OS X at a reasonable speed.

Drewz ~ 'big' is a very subjective word. The 512k is going to make a difference and result in a faster system, but what do you consider 'big' to be? Still, it's a step up in performance, that's for sure.

G4scott
May 20, 2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by DannyZR2
no audio in jacks??? did the prev models have audio in?

I'd say this is the first ibook (700mhz 14.1") to surpass the features of the much love pismo500 machines. ..

No iBook has ever had audio in...

Maybe the 512k means that there are 2 processors! each with 256k :D (we wish...)

Well, at least we all know that the next update will have G4's in store for the good 'ol iBook... and then, I'm upgrading...

gotohamish
May 20, 2002, 07:44 AM
Looks like us Brits won't be getting Quartz Extreme anytime soon:

just copied this from the Apple UK store...

14.1-inch TFT XGA display
700MHz PowerPC G3
512K L2 cache (at 700MHz)
256MB SDRAM memory
30GB Ultra ATA drive
DVD/CD-RW drive
ATI RAGE Mobility 128
16MB video memory
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
56K internal modem
VGA video output

Is that an ATI Rage 128 I see? what no Raedon?

Typical.

Compufix
May 20, 2002, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by blakespot
Fortuitous timing! Once my Amiga sells, it's new iBook for me.

Hey what type of Amiga? I had a 4000 years ago and traded it for a home PC, I was one of the Beta Testers for the Mac Emulation board....those were the days...8-)

blakespot
May 20, 2002, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Dunepilot
It's not clear whether these machines really do have 512k, or 256k Level 2 cache on their G3s. The technicals specs page says they do, but the main ibook page states 256k:

" Turbocharged with a fast 700MHz PowerPC G3 processor, 256K on-chip cache running at full processor speed, a 100MHz system bus and 256MB of SDRAM"

well. which is it, then?
Interesting point. The specs say 512 L2 but the page itself says 256K L2. Perhaps the specs were updated and the page not? Is there a new version of the G3?


blakespot

blakespot
May 20, 2002, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by Compufix


Hey what type of Amiga? I had a 4000 years ago and traded it for a home PC, I was one of the Beta Testers for the Mac Emulation board....those were the days...8-)
Amiga 1200 060-50 tower (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2025187780). My need is for it to cover around 2/3 of the cost of a new low-ish end iBook. We'll see how that goes.


blakespot

DakotaGuy
May 20, 2002, 07:59 AM
I called my Apple dealer to ask about the new iBooks. I won't be able to get one cause I just got one in December, but he seemed to think the new iBooks do infact have the G3 Sahara chip!!!!!! He says if they do they should be quite fast! I guess we will have to see.

JtheLemur
May 20, 2002, 08:02 AM
Hey Sluthy, thumbs up on your sig. :) Prying open my third eye. Owwwie. :D

-- justin

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 08:03 AM
Where are all the people who were getting overly zealous over the prospect of G4s in the iBook? You probably won't even see the G4 in the iBook until 2003, if then.

I have a 667 TiPB and the Video card is the same one, nice. Also my 667 TiPB has only 256k L2 cache. Its nice to see that the iBook is gaining some good solid features that were top of the line less than a year ago.

katchow
May 20, 2002, 08:06 AM
squeegying my third eye....

katchow

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by gotohamish
Looks like us Brits won't be getting Quartz Extreme anytime soon:

just copied this from the Apple UK store...

14.1-inch TFT XGA display
700MHz PowerPC G3
512K L2 cache (at 700MHz)
256MB SDRAM memory
30GB Ultra ATA drive
DVD/CD-RW drive
ATI RAGE Mobility 128
16MB video memory
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
56K internal modem
VGA video output

Is that an ATI Rage 128 I see? what no Raedon?

Typical.

How about doing everyone a favor and confirm your specs before you post. Yes, that is a Radeon Mobility chip, not a Rage 128, and don't friggin worry about QE. My iBook 600 with an 8 meg video card is pluggin and chuggin with 10.2 WWDC Preview.

eyelikeart
May 20, 2002, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by sluthy
Come on, in the time I took to type the first post, two people got in.:mad:

why is it that important to have been the first person to post on this??

anyway...I like the new specs...

if they were a bit faster, I'd consider letting go of my TiBook... ;)

ftaok
May 20, 2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet
Where are all the people who were getting overly zealous over the prospect of G4s in the iBook? You probably won't even see the G4 in the iBook until 2003, if then.

I have a 667 TiPB and the Video card is the same one, nice. Also my 667 TiPB has only 256k L2 cache. Its nice to see that the iBook is gaining some good solid features that were top of the line less than a year ago. Yeah, I admit that I got overly zealous. But I really wanted to believe that they were gonna put a G4 into the iBook.

OK, I guess we won't see that until at least the next update. G4 iBooks at MWNY!;)

I ready to take my flogging NOW.

BTW, I still don't understand why Apple is releasing this update. OS X is being pushed like crazy and they put out an update with the G3. I guess they would have used this G3 in the iMac/eMac, but IBM didn't have them ready. Oh wait, you still need the G4 for the SuperDrive, but that doesn't explain the eMac.

I'm out of the Apple speculation business on account of bad prognostication.

OSeXy!
May 20, 2002, 08:26 AM
Could just be the 750FX (Sahara G3).



According to the IBM website...

"Highlights:

*Delivers 600MHz to 1GHz
performance...

*512KB of internal L2 cache can
lower system cost, simplify
design, and eliminate the system
constraints of external memory"

That all sounds right...

Then there is another interesting note:

"*Up to 200MHz processor bus
increases system bandwidth"

It would be nice if future releases take advantage of this...

EDIT> link didn't copy correctly. Here it is:
http://www-3.ibm.com/chips/techlib/techlib.nsf/techdocs/2FF4861D6755A6CA87256BB1006B1DE6/$file/PPC750FX_PB.PDF

gotohamish
May 20, 2002, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac


How about doing everyone a favor and confirm your specs before you post. Yes, that is a Radeon Mobility chip, not a Rage 128, and don't friggin worry about QE. My iBook 600 with an 8 meg video card is pluggin and chuggin with 10.2 WWDC Preview.

Okay, chill. So I got confused, no need to talk like that!

If you remember in the past Apple UK have had machines with different specs than the US. It hit a nerve, ok?

So should I expect 10.2 to run okay on my friends iBook 500? Is it faster than 10.1?

BOOMBA
May 20, 2002, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by sluthy
Cool! I got the first post in! :D

Anyway, at least they can run Quartx Extreme now. No G4s though...

I thought Quartz Extreme needed at least a 32 MB Graphics card.
These iBooks seem to have 16 MB... ?

drastik
May 20, 2002, 08:34 AM
From all acconts, both here and on other sites, 10.2 is running great on G3s. ANd when the update is released, it should bebetter than the preview release. I think that everyone is a little hung up on QE. Sure, it sounds great, but not neccesary for all the improvements. We'll see. I'm going to put a new card in my tower, probably an Nvidia, with at least 64 mgs on it. Then I'll start from boot with my pismo next to it. IF the tower blows out the book, so be it, the book still a great comp.

badika
May 20, 2002, 08:45 AM
I'm hoping the chip is IBM's Sahara.

Has anyone gotten the link to the new vid port to work? It's between the polycarbonate and iDisk images on the right side.
http://www.apple.com/ibook/

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 08:46 AM
Goto...sorry I was so harsh, but it was the "typical" remark that set me off. If your friend has an iBook 500 with 256 megs or more, then yes, it will run better than it does on 10.1

Boomba,
QE needs 32 for optimum performance. With 16 megs of video memory in the new iBook, QE will work. Heck it is working on my iBook, and I only have 8 megs.

Ftaok,
Dude, the G3 is still a great processor for the consumer laptops! I want everyone to listen right now really closely.... My iBook 600 runs 10.2 as fast as a G4 800 runs 10.1. There, did you get that? So if an 800 mhz G4 is fast enough in 10.1, which I think we can all agree that it is, then believe me, for surfing, writing document, playing MP3's the iBook is perfect with a G3. Would I like a G4 in it? Well, does a cat have a climbing gear?

;)

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by badika
I'm hoping the chip is IBM's Sahara.

Has anyone gotten the link to the new vid port to work? It's between the polycarbonate and iDisk images on the right side.
http://www.apple.com/ibook/

I can't get it to work either, but that is not a new port, it is the same one that has been on the iBook since it was revised from the clamshell.

jamesbhai
May 20, 2002, 08:53 AM
After reading posts on macrumors for a long time, I decided to bite the bullet and join myself. There are just too many good one-liners out there to ignore! :)

Anyway, I've been holding out for an iBook, wagering on new machines. I prefer to have a machine at least 3 months before the Smithsonian comes calling. I'm curious how close performance-wide to a G4 the Sahara will be (if this is in fact the Sahara). I can't wait to see benchmarks with other G3 and G4 chips.

Do we call this a G3.5?

AlphaTech
May 20, 2002, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Dunepilot
It's not clear whether these machines really do have 512k, or 256k Level 2 cache on their G3s. The technicals specs page says they do, but the main ibook page states 256k:

" Turbocharged with a fast 700MHz PowerPC G3 processor, 256K on-chip cache running at full processor speed, a 100MHz system bus and 256MB of SDRAM"

well. which is it, then?

Think about this for a minute... 512k L2 cache (on chip), 256MB SDRAM = memory chips.

See the spec's below, which anyone with two living brain cells will be able to figure out (does that exclude you Dunepilot??)

[moderator note: don't be mean ]

600-MHz or 700-MHz PowerPC G3 processor with 512K on-chip level 2 cache running at full processor speed
100 MHZ system bus
One of the following memory configurations:
128MB of SDRAM built in
256MB of SDRAM (128MB built in and 128MB in SO-DIMM slot)Single 1.25-inch standard SO-DIMM slot (3.3V) supports up to 512MB SO-DIMM for a total of 640MB of SDRAM

irmongoose
May 20, 2002, 09:02 AM
Welcome jamesbhai!

----

The new specs look pretty good, with the new Sahara chips and stuff... but that isn't gonna make it faster than my G4 iMac is it!? :p


Well, I guess Apple made a good, solid, quiet move on this one. GO APPLE!




irmongoose

nero007
May 20, 2002, 09:16 AM
From what I understand QE isn't implemented yet on the current build of Jaguar. But, it will work with video cards less than 32mb. 32 is just optimal.

britboy
May 20, 2002, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Dadika
I'm hoping the chip is IBM's Sahara.

Has anyone gotten the link to the new vid port to work? It's between the polycarbonate and iDisk images on the right side.
http://www.apple.com/ibook/

it seems apple have rushed the job a little, and not quite double-checked everything before going public. The link from the video-out port is ~/spec.html. I suspect that's a typing error, and is supposed to be ~/specs.html.

badika
May 20, 2002, 09:21 AM
welcome jamesbhai.
I bit the bullet and left my backorder on confirmed status with Apple, so I'm getting mine next Monday, or Tuesday, or...
I'm hoping the beefed up L2cache will help it keep it out of the Smithsonian for a little longer than I originally expected.

But, if there is an IBM Sahara chip in it, the .13micron SOI process only sucks 3.6watts at 800mhz! In real terms that could mean no heat on your thighs and a retirement of the instinct to look for an outlet everytime you enter a room.

gotohamish
May 20, 2002, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Goto...sorry I was so harsh, but it was the "typical" remark that set me off. If your friend has an iBook 500 with 256 megs or more, then yes, it will run better than it does on 10.1
;)

Cool, and the "typical" remark was a feared hark back to Apple UK of the last few years.

They have a really hard job hear in the UK, and haven't really done too well in recent years (snubbing expos/no ads etc), and I made the comment as I still have a little fear that it will stop getting better as it is now.

I wish Apple UK the best, don't get me wrong - I need them to be, I have computers to buy!!!!!

out.

eric_n_dfw
May 20, 2002, 09:28 AM
Ok, I'm confused.

The link here says: IBM 750fx G4 PDF - 512k L2 cache G3. 600-1ghz speeds.

The 750fx is not a G4 is it? I thought we were talking about the Sahara G3's


----


Also, in the IBM PDF that thing links, did anyone notice the side bar that says:
Up to 200 MHz processor bus increases system bandwith

Interesting. If I'm reading that right, and if IBM would only start producing G4's, and if they could slap some kind of DDR support on it (real DDR into the G4, the X-Serve's implementation is still yet to be seen) we'd be looking at up to 4GB of DDR RAM on a 200MHz FSB - giving us 400MHz-like RAM speeds! (Lot of "if's" in that ,eh?!?!)

drastik
May 20, 2002, 09:31 AM
My only complaint with the pismo is the heat. Sure its a little big, but I was lugging around brick sized laptops at one point, so what?

The G3 makes perfect since if te power and heat needs are low. One of Apple's greatest advantages in the notebook market is battery life. Give me seven hours of live time, and make the thing cold to the touch, ice cold, as it were.
;)

arn
May 20, 2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
Ok, I'm confused.

The link here says: IBM 750fx G4 PDF - 512k L2 cache G3. 600-1ghz speeds.

The 750fx is not a G4 is it? I thought we were talking about the Sahara G3's

my mistake... it's a G3. Typo... I corrected it.

arn

blakespot
May 20, 2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by BOOMBA


I thought Quartz Extreme needed at least a 32 MB Graphics card.
These iBooks seem to have 16 MB... ?
32MB is recommended. Not required.

AGP is required. Supported chip is required.


blakespot

blakespot
May 20, 2002, 09:48 AM
Readng the specs of the 750FX, that's quite a little chip. This should be quite a snappy Mac, Quartz Extreme aside. Good time to buy!



blakespot

wrylachlan
May 20, 2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by AlphaTech


Think about this for a minute... 512k L2 cache (on chip), 256MB SDRAM = memory chips.

See the spec's below, which anyone with two living brain cells will be able to figure out (does that exclude you Dunepilot??)

In case you missed the whole rest of the thread, there was a typo up on the apple site that incorrectly stated the iBook came with 256k of L2 cache, and Dunepilot was rightly confused by this as in other places on apple's site it stated 512. This has since been corrected.

Since you're so quick on the trigger with the insults, one would hope you would be quick on the trigger with the apology that Dunepilot deserves.

crassusad44
May 20, 2002, 09:57 AM
According to the press release, these new iBooks are up to 35% faster than prev. models. A straight jump from 600 to 700 MHz would normally cause a 16% speed increase. I'm not sure how much the extra cache improves performace, but it could just as well be an all new G3 inside the new iBook. Maybe Sahara, as serveral has suggested. Has anyone (who has access to Apple Service Provider pages) seen an Apple tech spec on the new models?

Hemingray
May 20, 2002, 10:01 AM
The new specs in the Apple Store show "CD-RW DVD-ROM" for the 12" specs and "Combo Drive" for the 14". What's the difference?? That's confusing.

Kid Red
May 20, 2002, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by nero007
From what I understand QE isn't implemented yet on the current build of Jaguar. But, it will work with video cards less than 32mb. 32 is just optimal.

You heard incorrectly, it's in there.

Dunepilot
May 20, 2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by AlphaTech


Think about this for a minute... 512k L2 cache (on chip), 256MB SDRAM = memory chips.

See the spec's below, which anyone with two living brain cells will be able to figure out (does that exclude you Dunepilot??)

600-MHz or 700-MHz PowerPC G3 processor with 512K on-chip level 2 cache running at full processor speed
100 MHZ system bus
One of the following memory configurations:
128MB of SDRAM built in
256MB of SDRAM (128MB built in and 128MB in SO-DIMM slot)Single 1.25-inch standard SO-DIMM slot (3.3V) supports up to 512MB SO-DIMM for a total of 640MB of SDRAM

Well done, Alphatech, you once again show your arrogant nature for all the world to see. Thanks wryclachan for jumping to my defence. I seem to see something of this sort of nature posted by Alphatech once every couple of days.

How about you show that you have 2 brain cells for once, and check before you go trying to shoot me down. If you've ever bothered to read any of my posts before, you'll note that I'm not so green to tech specs as to confuse level 2 cache with main SDRAM.

And, as for having 2 brain cells, I'm only at one of the best universities in the world, about to start my finals exams tomorrow. I guess I can content myself that one day I'll be earning a lot more money than alphatech...

eric_n_dfw
May 20, 2002, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by arn


my mistake... it's a G3. Typo... I corrected it.

arn
Darn - I was tripping over myself to open that link when I saw it. If only IBM could/would get into G4 manfacturing!:rolleyes:

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Dunepilot


Well done, Alphatech, you once again show your arrogant nature for all the world to see. Thanks wryclachan for jumping to my defence. I seem to see something of this sort of nature posted by Alphatech once every couple of days.

How about you show that you have 2 brain cells for once, and check before you go trying to shoot me down. If you've ever bothered to read any of my posts before, you'll note that I'm not so green to tech specs as to confuse level 2 cache with main SDRAM.

And, as for having 2 brain cells, I'm only at one of the best universities in the world, about to start my finals exams tomorrow. I guess I can content myself that one day I'll be earning a lot more money than alphatech...

Hey, Hey. There is no reason to insite a flamewar. There was an honest mistake on your part, and a reaction to an apparent slightly insulting post on your part. There is no reason to egg it on, or else we all might end up with 100 posts today. Lets keep the thread on topic please.

Now, you guys kiss an make up ;)

Longey Nowze
May 20, 2002, 10:42 AM
some pages still say it has 256Kb chache while others say 512Kb

Feel the power
Turbocharged with a fast 700MHz PowerPC G3 processor, 256k on-chip cache running at full processor speed, a 100MHz system bus and 256MB of SDRAM, the 14.1-inch screen iBook packs some serious power. Not to be outdone, the 12.1-inch-screen iBook gives you a choice of 600MHz or 700MHz PowerPC G3 processors, a system bus speed running at 100MHz, and 128MB of SDRAM. All models are expandable up to 640MB of RAM, and come with the ATI Mobility Radeon graphics accelerator with 16MB of dedicated memory and AGP 2X support for gorgeous 3D graphics.
Feel the power
Turbocharged with a fast 700MHz PowerPC G3 processor, 256K on-chip cache running at full processor speed, a 100MHz system bus and 256MB of SDRAM, the 14.1-inch screen iBook packs some serious power. Not to be outdone, the 12.1-inch-screen iBook gives you a choice of 600MHz or 700MHz PowerPC G3 processors, a system bus speed running at 100MHz, and 128MB of SDRAM. All models are expandable up to 640MB of RAM, and come with the ATI Mobility Radeon graphics accelerator with 16MB of dedicated memory and AGP 2X support for gorgeous 3D graphics.

confusing :confused: i got this from Apple UK (http://www.apple.com/uk/ibook/) says the same thing on Apple US (http://www.apple.com/ibook/) are they talking about the L1 cache?? the specs page says

600-MHz or 700-MHz PowerPC G3 processor with 512K on-chip level 2 cache running at full processor speed

maybe it's a mistake?? oh well.. it's still really really cool.. should i get it and retire my pismo?? and make the new iBook my main computer?? or should I wait?? I really love my pismo :) i think I'll wait and see if i have enough money after summer...

THANK YOU
MaT

reflex
May 20, 2002, 10:47 AM
The new iBook is close to perfect. I can't wait to order one...

crassusad44
May 20, 2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Longey Nowze
some pages still say it has 256Kb chache while others say 512Kb
confusing :confused: i got this from Apple UK (http://www.apple.com/uk/ibook/) says the same thing on Apple US (http://www.apple.com/ibook/) are they talking about the L1 cache?? the specs page says


It's a typo on the english/american pages. If you go to http://www.apple.com/no/ibook/ you'll see it states 512k L2 cache on all pages. And yes, it will be fast. 35% faster (see my prev post). :D

Hope this clear things up a bit :) ;)

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 10:53 AM
I may be that international versions have 256 L2, and the US version has 512 L2. L1 should be around 32k

MattB
May 20, 2002, 10:57 AM
Why would Apple even offer their premium 14" iBook with such a drive?

I love the new specs. Who needs a G4?! If I didn't need a wintel laptop for school, I'd be a 700Mhz 12" Combo-Drive owner. They're the perfect size and weight, and have great performance.

However, I do wish the screen resolution was larger. My HP laptop has a resolution of 1400x1050 which is just the right size. I understand that a 12" screen at this resolution would make everything a little too small, but something more than 1024x768 would be nice.

Can't wait for more announcements from Apple--new G4's and Jaguar.

Dunepilot
May 20, 2002, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Backtothemac


Hey, Hey. There is no reason to insite a flamewar. There was an honest mistake on your part, and a reaction to an apparent slightly insulting post on your part. There is no reason to egg it on, or else we all might end up with 100 posts today. Lets keep the thread on topic please.

Now, you guys kiss an make up ;)

But that's not why I made that reply. there was no mistake on my part. I was merely pointing out a discrepancy on Apple's site, and wondering whether we really would be getting 512k level 2 cache.

What I object to is Alphatech's insulting, condescending manner. I don't post very often, but I check these forums throughout the day, and he seems to spend an inordinate amount of time either attacking other people's posts, or going on about how much he loves chrome, and how he wants a chrome powerbook.

Ultimately, I'm not posting to incite any kind of flame war, but I'm not going to take criticism of a post of mine if it hasn't been read properly.

Still, I appreciate your efforts at pacifism;)

TyleRomeo
May 20, 2002, 11:58 AM
ohh and the 512 L2 cache also features ECC. how exciting!!!!!

IndyGopher
May 20, 2002, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by wrylachlan
Since you're so quick on the trigger with the insults, one would hope you would be quick on the trigger with the apology that Dunepilot deserves.

Yes, one would hope. You'll hope in vain, of course, but hope is a good thing, nonetheless.

IndyGopher
May 20, 2002, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Dunepilot
[...] going on about how much he loves chrome, and how he wants a chrome powerbook.
Yes, well, you know what they say about those attracted to shiny things... I think this qualifies as independent confirmation.

jamesbhai
May 20, 2002, 12:32 PM
According to the Cambridgeside Apple store, the chip in the iBook is manufactured by Motorola and nothing more than an additional 100MHZ of processing speed. They add the L2 cache increase with the 100MHZ to get what is probably the 35% increase in speed. I'm not sure that this matters to consumer users, but I'd sure like to know before I buy one this week.

I had to wait to see a store rep. because the people ahead of me were already snapping up a 14". And I thought I was quick with the plastic. :D Isn't it nice to be able to get the latest and greatest the day it's announced? Thank you, Apple Stores!

DakotaGuy
May 20, 2002, 12:33 PM
Up to 35% faster...

If Apple isn't feeding us a line of bs this is going to be one quick little computer. I have a 600 right now and it is quick, but this sounds a lot faster. I think that going to this new and improved G3 chip may have been a very smart move for Apple. It looks like it does not draw a lot of power and should run quite cool. If it does prove to run up to 35% faster then most people will be glad that Apple took this route with the iBook then putting an older, more energy consuming G4 that only runs at 500 or 550 MHz. It makes sence considering what market Apple is going after with this.

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by IndyGopher

Yes, well, you know what they say about those attracted to shiny things... I think this qualifies as independent confirmation.

Hey, this thing involved him and Alpha. There is no reason for you come stick your nose in it :mad:

Just lets keep the thread on topic. Period that is the point. You don't like Alpha, the PM him and tell him. The thread is not the place to insite a riot. Just let he and Alpha work it out. Knowing Alpha, he would have said that he was wrong, but this....

Man, you are just pulling the trigger on the pie.

Look out for mischief to join in on this one, he, he.

kidtronix
May 20, 2002, 12:40 PM
the interesting thing about this upgrade is... what a hell is steve gonna show at mwnyc?! not the xserve, no new powerbooks, no new ibooks, barely any new imacs since they can barely ship the new one...

/me hold onto his beloved dual 1ghz and wait for an explotion

jamesbhai
May 20, 2002, 12:49 PM
It looks like MWNY will be a showcase for Jaguar and XServer. If it is as truly revolultionary as Apple's PR department would have us believe, all the applications in there will be on display as well as the speed of Quartz Extreme. Remember, while developers saw a demo, most people are relegated to pics and text.

Hopefully, dual 1.2 or 1.4 Towers will be released. And though they will only be six months new, perhaps a speed-bumped iMac will surface. I think it is doubtful, but a public showing of XServer and Jaguar with more powerful Towers might suffice for NY. Who knows, maybe Jaguar will have some more updated software (i.e. iTunes or ...) that people aren't talking about yet.

kettle
May 20, 2002, 12:53 PM
I was wondering what happens when an iBook is connected to an external 19'' VGA capable of 1600x1200?
Would I be limited to a 1024x768 mirror, or could I spread out a bit?
thanks.:)

Wry Cooter
May 20, 2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by kidtronix
the interesting thing about this upgrade is... what a hell is steve gonna show at mwnyc?! not the xserve, no new powerbooks, no new ibooks, barely any new imacs since they can barely ship the new one...



Guess he'll just have to show the set top box for the boob tube then, watches TV so you don't have to....

blakespot
May 20, 2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by crassusad44
According to the press release, these new iBooks are up to 35% faster than prev. models. A straight jump from 600 to 700 MHz would normally cause a 16% speed increase. I'm not sure how much the extra cache improves performace, but it could just as well be an all new G3 inside the new iBook. Maybe Sahara, as serveral has suggested. Has anyone (who has access to Apple Service Provider pages) seen an Apple tech spec on the new models?
If it has 512K L2 cache on-chip (which it does) then it is Sahara.


blakespot

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac

Just lets keep the thread on topic. Period that is the point.

Yes, B2TM is trying to earn his Moderator Badge, lots of action today! Seesh, too much. Why can't we all just get along?

MWNY is obviously going to be the showcase for the new desktop, which is about time. But this new iBook has a real appeal, if I already didn't have a TiPB, I'd seriously consider it. Maybe I'll get it for my wife, now there's a thought. Though I don't think she'd be joining the forums as MrsDukestreet, it would still be a coup to get her on a mac.

AmbitiousLemon
May 20, 2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac


Hey, this thing involved him and Alpha. There is no reason for you come stick your nose in it :mad:

hey im all for peacemaking but alpha has been on a rampage since he hit 1000s. these sort of attacks are a daily occurence around here and even though this makes you "mad" it makes me even more mad that all of you big posters out there stand up for alpha even when he is being a jerk. alpha used to have really good posts but lately he has only been interested in attacking people, and strangely most of the time he doesnt seem to know what he is talking about. so imo i see nothing wrong with these guys pointing out that someone has been a disruuption to the community, i only wish the rest of you wouldnt be so blinded by alpha's post count when it comes to matters like this.


and back to the topic at hand. ive been holding back a pc friend of mine from buying an ibook because of all the rumors about a new ibook. its great to see i can finally let him go and get one. problem is he wants a dvd rom, and for some reason apple has dropped this option (in this update and the previous one). i had this same problme when buying my imac. if you want the ability to play dvds you have to get the fancy combo or superdrive. seems like there should be an option for a standard dvdrom drive; they cost the same amount as cdroms so whats the deal. but all minor bitching aside. this is a wonderful update. and it is very interesting to see what they have done with the 14" models. the 14" is not so much a high end model now as it is just a different model. the low end 12 is teh same as the low end 14 in every other respect. some interesting choices there on apple's part

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Yes, B2TM is trying to earn his Moderator Badge, lots of action today! Seesh, too much. Why can't we all just get along?

MWNY is obviously going to be the showcase for the new desktop, which is about time. But this new iBook has a real appeal, if I already didn't have a TiPB, I'd seriously consider it. Maybe I'll get it for my wife, now there's a thought. Though I don't think she'd be joining the forums as MrsDukestreet, it would still be a coup to get her on a mac.

Ha, that was a great post. Really I love that. Yea, the wife joined, and has fallen off of the face of the earth. One of our cats is real sick. On the topic though, she loves the new iBook, and really wants one.

AL. I agree with most of what you said, and I do not defend him just because of his post count, nor mine, all I was trying to say was that he could have pointed it out nicely, and then handled it himself. I don't think that 4 people have to get involved in it. Just trying to help keep things in line a bit that is all. I would much rather talk about the iBooks, than Alpha and the other guys fighting.....

So, that said, I hope it is the Sahara.

Falleron
May 20, 2002, 01:53 PM
Sounds a good little upgrade!! Shame the screen resolution was not upped a little! However, if I did not have a Dual 1ghz I would probably buy one!

fbcfabric
May 20, 2002, 01:54 PM
in regard to thingy (sorry, its a long thread) talking about Quartz Extreme (ugh, extreme what an awful word) making things faster on an iBook or any other mac - its all true...

do this:

open the terminal and type top (thats as far as my unix knowledge goes) and see all the numbers counting... look at the top right of the window where it shows the percentage of the processor that is idle. when your doing nothing it should be quite high. now grab a large window and move it around the screen really fast for a while and watch the idle processor % drop down to nothing.

now if you try that in WWDC Jaguar on a G4 400 PCI Graphics with a RAGE 128 16MB VRAM card (not the fanciest mac out there) the processor remains idle... meaning that a PCI graphics card with half the 'optimum' VRAM still takes sufficient load from the CPU to make a HUGE difference.

i tell ye.. if i had the choice of an 800MHz G4 with 10.1 and my PCI Graphics G4 400 with 10.2, i think i would stick with what i have...

DavidOS
May 20, 2002, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by kettle
I was wondering what happens when an iBook is connected to an external 19'' VGA capable of 1600x1200?
Would I be limited to a 1024x768 mirror, or could I spread out a bit?
thanks.:)

Kettle asked this question a couple of pages back, and no one responded, I am interested in the answer, so I thought I would "second the question" well? :p

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by DavidOS


Kettle asked this question a couple of pages back, and no one responded, I am interested in the answer, so I thought I would "second the question" well? :p

I know that my iBook 600 will only mirror at 1024X768 and in thousands of colors. It could be different with the Radeon though. Will let you know.

blakespot
May 20, 2002, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by fbcfabric
in regard to thingy (sorry, its a long thread) talking about Quartz Extreme (ugh, extreme what an awful word) making things faster on an iBook or any other mac - its all true...

do this:

open the terminal and type top (thats as far as my unix knowledge goes) and see all the numbers counting... look at the top right of the window where it shows the percentage of the processor that is idle. when your doing nothing it should be quite high. now grab a large window and move it around the screen really fast for a while and watch the idle processor % drop down to nothing.

now if you try that in WWDC Jaguar on a G4 400 PCI Graphics with a RAGE 128 16MB VRAM card (not the fanciest mac out there) the processor remains idle... meaning that a PCI graphics card with half the 'optimum' VRAM still takes sufficient load from the CPU to make a HUGE difference.

i tell ye.. if i had the choice of an 800MHz G4 with 10.1 and my PCI Graphics G4 400 with 10.2, i think i would stick with what i have...
I've done this a number of times in trying to see the comparative efficiency of PCI vs AGPx4: I have a DP G4 800 with a GeForce 3 AGP board and a PCI Rage 128 Orion (16MB). For massive window drags under OS X, the GeForce 3 is glass smoothe. The Rage 128 in almost glass smoothe. I am totally satisfied with it speed. But when looking at the CPU meter while dragging a window around on one screen, then the other -- there is no real difference in CPU usage between AGP and PCI. Both use the same amount for that operation in looking at the CPU meter.

QE would make the GeForce 3 screen smooth (smoother then it is now it would seem) but at almost no CPU cost. The Rage 128 screen will keep on as it has always done, quite smoothe but at CPU cost.


blakespot

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by blakespot

I've done this a number of times in trying to see the comparative efficiency of PCI vs AGPx4: I have a DP G4 800 with a GeForce 3 AGP board and a PCI Rage 128 Orion (16MB). For massive window drags under OS X, the GeForce 3 is glass smoothe. The Rage 128 in almost glass smoothe. I am totally satisfied with it speed. But when looking at the CPU meter while dragging a window around on one screen, then the other -- there is no real difference in CPU usage between AGP and PCI. Both use the same amount for that operation in looking at the CPU meter.

QE would make the GeForce 3 screen smooth (smoother then it is now it would seem) but at almost no CPU cost. The Rage 128 screen will keep on as it has always done, quite smoothe but at CPU cost.


blakespot

Actually, I am seeing a difference. My iMac has 10.1 and my iBook is running 10.2. If I launch CPU monitor and scroll through the dock, the iMac goes to almost 100% CPU useage. The iBook though hovers around 25 - 50% The same is true for Windows. It is running on the iBook, and is making a huge difference.

Dunepilot
May 20, 2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon


hey im all for peacemaking but alpha has been on a rampage since he hit 1000s. these sort of attacks are a daily occurence around here and even though this makes you "mad" it makes me even more mad that all of you big posters out there stand up for alpha even when he is being a jerk. alpha used to have really good posts but lately he has only been interested in attacking people, and strangely most of the time he doesnt seem to know what he is talking about. so imo i see nothing wrong with these guys pointing out that someone has been a disruuption to the community, i only wish the rest of you wouldnt be so blinded by alpha's post count when it comes to matters like this.




Thanks AmbitiousLemon - that's exactly what I've been feeling for some time. Large numbers of posts don't give you carte blanche to be rude.

Maybe some of those other large count posters might actually sit up and take some notice.

Oh, and this isn't the first time I've been shat on my someone with a large post. It's not constructive, and if it's as uniformed as the numerous examples Alphatech has given us, it only serves to lower respect for those people who post on Macrumors as regularly as he does (i.e. the other demigods etc).

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by Dunepilot



Thanks AmbitiousLemon - that's exactly what I've been feeling for some time. Large numbers of posts don't give you carte blanche to be rude.

Maybe some of those other large count posters might actually sit up and take some notice.

Oh, and this isn't the first time I've been shat on my someone with a large post. It's not constructive, and if it's as uniformed as the numerous examples Alphatech has given us, it only serves to lower respect for those people who post on Macrumors as regularly as he does (i.e. the other demigods etc).

Hey, I agree that post count doesn't give someone a right to be rude. I just hate to see a topic get off of the thread. This is an article thread. Lets keep it on the article. If someone is an A$$ to you, click the little report this post to mod button, or sort it out over PM. That was the only point that I was trying to make. So Dune, what do you think about the new iBook? ;)

barkmonster
May 20, 2002, 02:31 PM
First we had the G3 with it's 512K 2:1 ratio cache then it was increased to 1Mb on all the G3 chips and the G4s up until the introduction of the PPC7450.

As soon as there was a model with a 256K 1:1 ratio chip, the benchmarks started flying in to prove that even a 500Mhz G3 could thoeortically beat a 733Mhz G4 with no 1Mb L3 in some tasks, the 500Mhz G4 certainly did, This was ALL down to cache size and the lack of a larger L3 with the extra pipeline stages being only slightly to blame.

That 1Mb made quite a dent in the performance too, it needed to be 2Mb on the newer G4s to gain any real speed gains or even clock for clock performance between the older G4s with a 1Mb L2 cache.

We know that the size and speed of the L2 cache is very important, so I think increasing the L2 to 512K put's us right back at the beginning again but at a huge advantage over 4 or 5 years ago.

Imagine how fast the next G4s will be if they doubled everything and we get 128K L1, 512K L2, 4Mb L3 and DDR RAM. They wouldn't even need to be faster than about 1.4Ghz for us to see quite significant speed gains over the current models and Apple could certainly TRY and do a dual G4 vs Single P4 show down with the mac coming out on top.

markseaton
May 20, 2002, 02:38 PM
This strikes me as cool, if the new g3 600-700mhz are this new chip that IBM is talking about in that PDF that was posted then in you could overclock your 700mhz@100mhz bus to 1ghz@200mhz with very little ease and little heat gain plus low battery loss too, i think it can be done and someone out there might be jutsy to try it :) hapy OCing

arn
May 20, 2002, 02:44 PM
Yes, there's no reason for anyone to be rude or mean to another poster... and post status/demi-god status does not make any difference.

Stay on topic... any more posts about it will be deleted from this thead.

arn

Dunepilot
May 20, 2002, 02:44 PM
Yeah, thanks for asking backtothemac;)

it seems pretty good. I'm just sorry a mate of mine bought an Acer laptop last week, despite me spending hours trying to persuade him to go with a 'book of some description.

What it came down to in the end was that he didn't want to have to replace all of his apps for Windows. I've come up against that argument a lot recently from friends - a lot of them have a LOT of pirate software they just couldn't get cracked Mac versions of - or couldn't afford to buy legally. I think this is a big problem for Apple, but not one that they can do anything to get around, unless they offer some seriously cheap edu deals on software.

The big apps I'm referring to are things like Sibelius (i've got numerous friends who'd buy a mac who are stopped by this one - it's over 300 even if you get it at student discount).

And with audio software too - lots of friends have used cracked versions of Logic audio etc, whereas I paid the full price for the Mac version.

...all of which isn't strictly related to the iBook, but must be losing apple a lot of iBook sales, unfortunately.

:( wish me luck for my exams starting tomorrow morning:(

pwfletcher
May 20, 2002, 02:48 PM
Will QE also provide a framrate increase? I have a Ti G4 800 and just did a framerate check running itunes visualizations in full screen (open itunes, check visualizations - full screen, hit the "F" key). I am only getting an average of 23 fps. Shouldn't it be more with the new 32MB card? Will it be more with QE? Post your framerates for comparison.

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by pwfletcher
Will QE also provide a framrate increase? I have a Ti G4 800 and just did a framerate check running itunes visualizations in full screen (open itunes, check visualizations - full screen, hit the "F" key). I am only getting an average of 23 fps. Shouldn't it be more with the new 32MB card? Will it be more with QE? Post your framerates for comparison.

I was getting about 15 with the iBook before X.2, now getting 18 solid! Can't wait to see what the iMac does. It is around 16-17 now. Should be higher. Use G-force. It is better than the iTunes viz.

dernhelm
May 20, 2002, 03:12 PM
I've seen several posts indicating that this machine was "Quartz Extreme" ready. Have the video card specs suddenly shrunk from 32MB to 16MB? Has Quartz been re-optimized for the G3? Does the direct-to-video card feature negate the need for the G4 optimization?

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 03:21 PM
I've got a TiPB with the same card as the one they're putting in the iBook and I get 20-23 at full screen. But the screen is a little bigger, so you'll probably get better results.

One thing to note, even at faster speeds, the human eye really can't discern the faster frame rates that well, so it becomes more of a technical issue, not one of playback quality.

arn
May 20, 2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by dernhelm
I've seen several posts indicating that this machine was "Quartz Extreme" ready. Have the video card specs suddenly shrunk from 32MB to 16MB? Has Quartz been re-optimized for the G3? Does the direct-to-video card feature negate the need for the G4 optimization?

It was a bit vague...

The specs indicate 32mb recommended for optimal performace...

otherwise... here's the best info I've seen from an ATI employee a this xlr8yourmac forum thread (http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com/ubb/Forum24/HTML/000106.html)


Yes, unfortunately it only supports AGP, so PCI Radeons do not get Quartz Extreme acceleration. The problem does boil down to 'bandwidth' since it's compositing window context buffers straight out of AGP space. The issue with PCI is not about the rendering performance of the chip, but of getting the data to the 3D engine. With many large windows layered on top of each other, the memory footprint can be quite huge. This is why there isn't support for PCI. It was tried, and the performance sucked.

Just to clarify what Mike was speculating on, yes this acceleration does work on PBG4's using M6, including those with only 16MB of VRAM.

Regards,

Arshad
ATI Technologies


arn

blakespot
May 20, 2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by dernhelm
I've seen several posts indicating that this machine was "Quartz Extreme" ready. Have the video card specs suddenly shrunk from 32MB to 16MB? Has Quartz been re-optimized for the G3? Does the direct-to-video card feature negate the need for the G4 optimization?
Again, 32MB is the optimum memory quantity--not the requirement. AGP is a requirement. A supported chipset is a requirement. Not 32MB.



blakespot

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 04:19 PM
The crazy thing is that it says chipset, but it is working on my ATI Rage 128. ?!?!?!?! Any ideas anyone?
Thanks,
B2TM

reflex
May 20, 2002, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by markseaton
This strikes me as cool, if the new g3 600-700mhz are this new chip that IBM is talking about in that PDF that was posted then in you could overclock your 700mhz@100mhz bus to 1ghz@200mhz with very little ease and little heat gain plus low battery loss too, i think it can be done and someone out there might be jutsy to try it :) hapy OCing

... assuming your ram can handle the 200MHz speed.

jamesbhai
May 20, 2002, 06:27 PM
I just got home with my long awaited iBook. It's so cute out if its mother's ... box. It seems very snappy, though I have yet to install third party apps. iTunes opens up instantaneously after the mandatory preference questions, as does Explorer, etc.

However, it costs more money to get the iBook from the Apple Store than online if you want additional memory (I wanted 384mb) because it comes with a 128mb chip that must be replaced by a 256mb chip and installed (by the user only, I was curiously told). Hence, the 128mb chip is rendered useless, yet you are charged for it. My roommate has an original Ti 400 which accepts the memory, however, so I will get off lucky.

I installed the 128 and will just wait and see if he notices any performance difference. The next time he complains about needing more memory (he was running X.1 on the 128 the TiBook came with...brave soul, indeed), I'll present him with a bill for memory and installation. Ah, profiting off unrequested services...is there anything more American? :D

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 06:42 PM
back to da mac.... where/how did you get 10.2? i don't remember you mentioning it......

GeeYouEye
May 20, 2002, 07:10 PM
between the old iBook and the new:

(note: I have a migraine, so I'm wearimg sunglasses and have the brightness and contrast at minimum, so please excuse any spelling errors, as I can't see the iMac screen or keyboard real well)

1, the a/v jack is now only a headphone jack.
2. the rest of the a/v out functions are now in what was the VHA out jack.
3. Whst was the VGA out is now video out, and it includes S-Video out, composite out, NSTC amd PAL, similar to the old a/v out port.
4. Apple VGA adapter is now included.
5. All models have 100MHz system bus
6. Reset button has been moved.
7. AGP is now 2x. It was 1x before.
8. All models feature a 16MB Mobility Radeon, capable of running QE though not at full speed.
9. All models (including those in the UK, probably an earlier typo) have 512k L2 cache on die, at processor speed.
10, As for the apparent discrepancy between Combo and CFRW/DVD, the title of the one the CDRW/DVD one IS Combo.
11. A faster combo drive.

That should clear up any comfusion.

Catfish_Man
May 20, 2002, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by dernhelm
I've seen several posts indicating that this machine was "Quartz Extreme" ready. Have the video card specs suddenly shrunk from 32MB to 16MB? Has Quartz been re-optimized for the G3? Does the direct-to-video card feature negate the need for the G4 optimization?

16MBs of vram will hold 5.33 full screen 1024x768x32 windows. 16MBs will run 1024x768x16 like 32MBs runs 1024x768x32. After that it'll hit the main memory (which is why it needs AGP) and slow down. What do you mean about the G4 optimization? I wasn't aware that Quartz required a G4 (in fact I thought the point of QuartzGL was to reduce the dependence on the processor).

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
back to da mac.... where/how did you get 10.2? i don't remember you mentioning it......

I got it from a little birdie :D It is really nice.....

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac


I got it from a little birdie :D It is really nice.....

ahh, where/when did you first announce you had it? i'm surprised i missed that... since you and i are tight and all... ;)

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule


ahh, where/when did you first announce you had it? i'm surprised i missed that... since you and i are tight and all... ;)

Got it about two days ago. It is unreal Jello.. you are going to be blown away!!!!

jelloshotsrule
May 20, 2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac


Got it about two days ago. It is unreal Jello.. you are going to be blown away!!!!

wow, can't wait then.... i think my dual 800 will take to it nicely! hehe

Mr. Anderson
May 20, 2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac


Got it about two days ago. It is unreal Jello.. you are going to be blown away!!!!

Aw, damn. I'm not going to be able to run it anytime soon, my old mac won't be able to handle it. I'll need to upgrade the video card and the CPU, hopefully someone will come out with a Dual 733 or 800 for my Sawtooth.

Do you think my rev b. 667 TiPB will be able to handle it?

Backtothemac
May 20, 2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Aw, damn. I'm not going to be able to run it anytime soon, my old mac won't be able to handle it. I'll need to upgrade the video card and the CPU, hopefully someone will come out with a Dual 733 or 800 for my Sawtooth.

Do you think my rev b. 667 TiPB will be able to handle it?

What are the specs on your old sawtooth? Believe it or not, it will run if it is running x at all. The TiPB will more than handle it. Believe me.

Wry Cooter
May 20, 2002, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet


Aw, damn. I'm not going to be able to run it anytime soon, my old mac won't be able to handle it. I'll need to upgrade the video card and the CPU, hopefully someone will come out with a Dual 733 or 800 for my Sawtooth.

Do you think my rev b. 667 TiPB will be able to handle it?

I'll creep along with my 400 mhz sawtooth and a Radeon or GeForce. Bet it will be fine. My sawtooth is too early for ANY upgrades however (How happy would we be if we didn't have to buy a new case and motherboard everytime we wanted a faster chip?)

rkcrane
May 22, 2002, 02:27 PM
I currently own an ibook 500 which has the tiny reset button on the left side. I see that the specs for the new ibook has no reset button. I have had to reset my ibook several times when it went into total ( and I do mean total) lockup in both OS9 and OSX environments. I still run the original packate OS9.1 and OSX10.03.

The ibook would not power down, would not respond to 3 finger reboot and I presume that the only thing I could have done is to remove the battery and re-insert.

Frankly, it is not undertandable how the reset button was designed out. Unless they implemented a watchdog timer that would perform an internal reset in such a case. But a watchdog timer must have a software loop of the OS hitting it at regular intervals, say 1 second, in order to operate.

Anybody have any idea of how Apple got around the real need for a reset?

ftaok
May 22, 2002, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by rkcrane
I currently own an ibook 500 which has the tiny reset button on the left side. I see that the specs for the new ibook has no reset button. I have had to reset my ibook several times when it went into total ( and I do mean total) lockup in both OS9 and OSX environments. I still run the original packate OS9.1 and OSX10.03.

The ibook would not power down, would not respond to 3 finger reboot and I presume that the only thing I could have done is to remove the battery and re-insert.

Frankly, it is not undertandable how the reset button was designed out. Unless they implemented a watchdog timer that would perform an internal reset in such a case. But a watchdog timer must have a software loop of the OS hitting it at regular intervals, say 1 second, in order to operate.

Anybody have any idea of how Apple got around the real need for a reset? WOW!! They got rid of the Reset button??? Oh well.

I used to use the reset button all the time back in OS 9. It was a real pain since I had to reset the clock every time. Then I found out about the "soft" reset. Just hold down the "power" button for about 5 seconds. It'll reboot and you won't have to reset the clock.

I haven't run into any problems where the "soft" reset wouldn't work.