PDA

View Full Version : New Products at MacWorld Expo

MacRumors
Dec 31, 2003, 01:32 PM
ComputerWorld reports (http://www.computerworld.com/softwaretopics/os/macos/story/0,10801,88679,00.html?f=x253) that MacWorld will serve as a launching board for many new products.

A short list of new products to be launched from various vendors are listed. These include new versions of software and hardware, updated to take advantage of Mac OS X.

Apple is widely expected to make a few new releases themselves... with rampant rumors of mini iPods.

kb9000
Dec 31, 2003, 01:34 PM
ummmmmm YAY!

Masao[RY]
Dec 31, 2003, 01:38 PM
I ponder if a new version of Virtual PC will be released, which supports PPC970.. One could only hope!

SuperChuck
Dec 31, 2003, 01:41 PM
Upon hearing the quality of the original Creature Speakers, it was clear that way too little emphasis was put on making the beautiful peripherals actually sound as good as they look. Here's hoping the function of the new ones are as great as the form.

Freg3000
Dec 31, 2003, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Masao[RY]
I ponder if a new version of Virtual PC will be released, which supports PPC970.. One could only hope!

Yes, I am actually hoping that Microsoft announces a new version of Office and Virtual PC 7, as it was reported by AI a few weeks ago.

SiliconAddict
Dec 31, 2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Masao[RY]

Companies including Apple Computer Inc., Adobe Systems Inc., Aspyr Media Inc., Avid, Canon Inc., Epson America Inc., FileMaker Inc., Harman Multimedia, Hewlett-Packard Co., Intuit Inc., Macromedia Inc., Microsoft Corp ., MYOB Ltd., Roxio Inc., Xerox Corp. and many others will exhibit at the show, with others showcasing new products, including:

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031208140623.shtml

It is rumored that MS will be releasing a new version of Office and VPC in January. Here's hoping for direct X support for the v-cards found in the various Macs. (I think itís a tad too early to expect this kind of support but one can always hope.) These cards aren't all that different from those found in the PC. It's just a matter of accessing the cards in a fashion that doesn't dink with OSX. DirectX is pretty invasive. I can't imagine that would be an easy task. If they could *drools* games. Any potential hesitation I had for getting a Mac goes up in smoke. :( Which basically assures they won't do it doesn't it?

fraeone
Dec 31, 2003, 01:54 PM
Uhmm. While I would be excited for a new version of Virtual PC, don't count on it supporting DirectX, and if it did, don't count on it being fast enough to play any games.

That being said, don't hesitate, my 12" G4 PB is my first Mac, and I love it to death.

kuyu
Dec 31, 2003, 02:02 PM
I wonder what we'll see from Aspyr? Perhaps they'll announce Halo 2 for the mac...(demo maybe?!?)

VPC should be much cheaper, but I'm not counting on it.

jZilla
Dec 31, 2003, 02:05 PM
Half-Life 2 on my dual 2 ghz Radeon 9800 23" cinema display is the dream I hold.

Doubt it'll happen, but dream on I will!

Ja Di ksw
Dec 31, 2003, 02:33 PM
I hate to squelch everyone's mini-iPod hopes, but I have heard a reliable rumor to the contrary. Apple will be releasing the MEGA iPod. It will be so big it will have a flip up screen on it, with a mousepad instead of a wheel, and a keyboard instead of the five buttons. It will require a different OS than the iPod has, rumored to be named after a large black cat. This wonderfully new invention will be called a Lap-iPod!

:rolleyes:

bensisko
Dec 31, 2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Ja Di ksw
I hate to squelch everyone's mini-iPod hopes, but I have heard a reliable rumor to the contrary. Apple will be releasing the MEGA iPod. It will be so big it will have a flip up screen on it, with a mousepad instead of a wheel, and a keyboard instead of the five buttons. It will require a different OS than the iPod has, rumored to be named after a large black cat. This wonderfully new invention will be called a Lap-iPod!

:rolleyes:

Any chance this beast of a video/music iPod is made of aluminum? Or perhaps the standard white plastic?

:)

Steven1621
Dec 31, 2003, 03:31 PM
even though i don't forsee myself buying one, i am really hoping for an xserve upgrade. apple needs to get them up to date with the power mac line.

Dstreelm
Dec 31, 2003, 04:01 PM
Rumors have persisted for a while about a new iapp, what are your thoughts about "iWrite"(my own name) a word processing app to compete with microsoft office. i read a report this summer that said that microsoft was stoping produation on further iterations of office for mac along with IE. if apple knows this for sure they may have been developing an app to take over, include in ilifel, maybe package with the upcomming version of panther

ChronoIMG
Dec 31, 2003, 04:08 PM
How about some new ATI retail cards?

Ja Di ksw
Dec 31, 2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by bensisko
Any chance this beast of a video/music iPod is made of aluminum? Or perhaps the standard white plastic?

:)

Wow, I wonder if we have the same source

:D

SiliconAddict
Dec 31, 2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by fraeone
Uhmm. While I would be excited for a new version of Virtual PC, don't count on it supporting DirectX, and if it did, don't count on it being fast enough to play any games.

That being said, don't hesitate, my 12" G4 PB is my first Mac, and I love it to death.

The G4's architecture in total has been a joke for years. I want to see what kind of performance a G5 can do to VPC. I've played around with VPC at the Apple store. I get the general impression of a 200Mhz-300Mhz system. This is obviously due to needing to emulate the x86 architecture. Pure speculation on my part but a G5 could potentially jacked that speed up to 500Mhz. Enough to handle quite a few games out there. Add DirectX and you get even more supported games.
As I said before its unlikely, at least in this version, because of the potential difficulty in making it compatible.

Grimace
Dec 31, 2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
I've played around with VPC at the Apple store. I get the general impression of a 200Mhz-300Mhz system. This is obviously due to needing to emulate the x86 architecture. Pure speculation on my part but a G5 could potentially jacked that speed up to 500Mhz.

Is your speed impression in Microsoft Mhz or Apple Mhz???

bryanc
Dec 31, 2003, 06:13 PM
I use keynote a lot. It's already vastly better than powerpoint in many ways, but it is missing a few essential features.

Most important to me would be the light-table (slide-sorter) view, the ability to use the mouse pointer (preferably to draw, but at the very least, to point) in a presentation, and finally, quicktime control (I can't believe that I have to use PowerPoint to get stop/step-forward/step-backward/rewind control of my quicktime movies). There are plenty of other features that would be nice, but these are must-haves.

Cheers

Rocketman
Dec 31, 2003, 07:25 PM
Rocketman's personal new year's wish list:

http://www.v-serv.com/-upload/avatar2.jpg

* G5 Powerbook
- Dependent on 90Ķm 970's

* ATT Edge wireless broadband or compatible hardware
- Dependent ONLY on a device driver

* X-Serve G5 (including SAN and 4 way preferably)

* iBook G4 Motherboard upgrade (including for existing service customers and voluntary 3 year warranty extension on motherboard alone)

* A video iPod (with features to astound)

* A low priced iPod (market share dominance strategy)

* A PCI card (or USB dongle) with an assortment of Apple legacy ports with associated device driver runtime environment for OSX.

* A set of translation tools for all prior APPLE branded file formats including MacWrite and MacDraw. Okay if it is a quiet release.

* External RAID and SAN with FW800/400, EN1000/100/10, and USB 2.0/1.1.

* Powermac speedbumps plus one desireable new feature

* A display for the videophile.

And the one we have all been waiting for . . .

"Air Power -tm(me)", the wireless Power Supply for portable devices.

Merry Holidays and Happy New Year to all!

Rocketman

bensisko
Dec 31, 2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Dstreelm
Rumors have persisted for a while about a new iapp, what are your thoughts about "iWrite"(my own name) a word processing app to compete with microsoft office. i read a report this summer that said that microsoft was stoping produation on further iterations of office for mac along with IE. if apple knows this for sure they may have been developing an app to take over, include in ilifel, maybe package with the upcomming version of panther

MS has already stopped making IE for Mac (and PC). I doubt very much that they will stop making office for mac. There's just no reason to stop making a product that makes money. To further demonstrate MS's commitment to the Macintosh, MS released Windows Media Player 9 for OS X (and hinted at new versions of VPC for the G5).

I think MS will keep developing for Mac until it no longer makes them money.

pimentoLoaf
Dec 31, 2003, 11:33 PM
I'd like to take my current 17" pb and have some maintenance to kick it up to, say... 2.4ghz...

...whilst extending the warranty another three months. :D

SiliconAddict
Jan 1, 2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by carletonmusic
Is your speed impression in Microsoft Mhz or Apple Mhz???

PC Mhz. The impression I'm getting is around a 200Mhz-300Mhz PC. With the overall improvement of the G5 PowerMac I'd expect better overall performance on a G5. And eventually a PowerBook G5 when it comes out.

PS-This was on a PowerMac G4 system..

Duff-Man
Jan 1, 2004, 12:14 AM
Duff-Man says.....OmniGroup will be introducing OmniWeb 5.0 (http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/5/) ....oh yeah!

Sailfish
Jan 1, 2004, 02:10 AM
Well I know of one new neat product that will be hitting the Apple Stores in a few days.

It's software that uses your iSight or any firewire cam to read gestures made by your arms and hands.

To play games and god knows what else?

Three dimensional sculpting?

Boxing?

here's the link

http://news.freeverse.com/archives/000296.php

desdomg
Jan 1, 2004, 02:57 AM
If Apple introduce this then I will be happy:

http://www.macosx.com/content/article.php?cid=53

Sailfish
Jan 1, 2004, 04:05 AM
Belkin is introducing Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, Tunecast II and a Thumb USB Hub with four ports.

What I find interesting is the Belkin Wireless Bluetooth headphones, (strange I can't figure it out, what's the phone button for?)

Bluetooth iPods?

Bluetooth iTunes?

Bluetooth Apple iPhones?

You can answer the phone? via the headphones?

see pictures here

http://homepage.mac.com/hogfish/PhotoAlbum2.html

it's up, see what I mean?

what the heck is that thing?

Hangs on your belt or pocket?

Notice the COLOR!!!

To match the blue iPods!!

iomar
Jan 1, 2004, 04:21 AM
Wow, I can't wait for it, I wish I could attend the expo this year!

bensisko
Jan 1, 2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Sailfish
Belkin is introducing Wireless Bluetooth Headphones, Tunecast II and a Thumb USB Hub with four ports.

What I find interesting is the Belkin Wireless Bluetooth headphones, (strange I can't figure it out, what's the phone button for?)

The phone button is because it's a wireless headset for your bluetooth enabled cell phone, not for listening to music.

James Craner
Jan 1, 2004, 10:29 AM
I think the format at MWSF will be

1. Update on the success of the sales of iPOD and ITMS, as well as Apple Retail stores.

2. Updated iLife, hopefully all still free apart from iDVD

3. FCE Version 2, which all people at the Keynote will get a free copy.

4. New Versions of MS Office and Virtual PC

5. One more thing is the mini iPod, New TV Adverts plus Lots of Celebs saying how wonderful it is.

What I would like is ITMS for Europe, but I suspect that will not happen for a while - say May 2004, as I suspect we would have some rumours by now if it was going to happen.

PowerMac speed bumps will probably be announced a week or so after MWSF is my guess; pure speed bumps are not news enough for a Keynote.

DarkPhoenixCA
Jan 1, 2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by SiliconAddict
http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031208140623.shtml

It is rumored that MS will be releasing a new version of Office and VPC in January. Here's hoping for direct X support for the v-cards found in the various Macs. (I think itís a tad too early to expect this kind of support but one can always hope.) These cards aren't all that different from those found in the PC. It's just a matter of accessing the cards in a fashion that doesn't dink with OSX. DirectX is pretty invasive. I can't imagine that would be an easy task. If they could *drools* games. Any potential hesitation I had for getting a Mac goes up in smoke. :( Which basically assures they won't do it doesn't it?

Any one have any rumors as to what features MS is adding (particularly to Entourage)? As a recent switcher, I think Entourage was leaps and bounds better than Outlook XP. My boyfriend just bought Outlook 2003, so I haven't had a chance to explore its new features. The first obvious one I like is the Preview Pane: It shows previews in a window to the left on the inbox or whatever folder you are in. That would be a great addition to Entourage.

ddbean
Jan 1, 2004, 01:46 PM
...about MWSF2004 is getting something...anything... to replace that lame-arse AOL-iPod running icon on Apple's main site.

papersushi
Jan 1, 2004, 03:14 PM
MS OFFICE makes majority profits for MS(Includes PC version). I agree with someone posted above me, I don't think MS will cut something that is cashing in money for them, like what Office Mac does.

MattG
Jan 1, 2004, 05:31 PM
I'm interested in finding out if there will be G5 speed bumps. My boss is (hopefully) getting ready to order one for me at work, and I'm waiting (until Tuesday at least) to place the order. I'd hate to order something only to have it replaced or decreased in price new week...

MattG
Jan 1, 2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by desdomg
If Apple introduce this then I will be happy:

http://www.macosx.com/content/article.php?cid=53 OMFG

If Apple were to introduce one of those next week, I'd *so* buy one. That's exactly what I need. I'm moving into a new place soon, and I was actually contemplating buying a Cube to use as a digital hub to plug into my TV, stereo, etc,; something that's small and quiet, that I could stick in a corner and not worry about. However, I didn't really want to spend upwards of $600 on a Cube. An 'iBox' would be great!!

SiliconAddict
Jan 2, 2004, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by papersushi
MS OFFICE makes majority profits for MS(Includes PC version). I agree with someone posted above me, I don't think MS will cut something that is cashing in money for them, like what Office Mac does.

Correction. MS Office for Windows makes major profits for MS. Office for the Mac is a drop in the bucket or more accurately a 2%-5% drop in the bucket. They could discontinued Office for the Mac and it would hardly touch their yearly earnings. Heck with the animosity a lot of Mac users feel against MS I wonder what % of people that do use office for Mac actually shelled out cash on it.
In fact I wonder how much of a return on investment they are getting since Office for Mac isn't a direct port of Office for Windows. You are dealing with sep development which can't be nice on MS's pocket book.

SiliconAddict
Jan 2, 2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Sailfish

Its intended for wireless BT enabled phones. Trust me on this. Its not intended for the iPods. Belkin is jumping on the BT headset bandwagon for phones. Trust me on this when I say you would NOT want to listen to music through such a device. Since its low bandwidth makes it next to impossible. Phones yes. iPods. NO.

NeatGekko
Jan 2, 2004, 02:30 AM
MINI IPOD FACTS:

They are going to be HD based but loaded with RAM so it won't skip.

They will ship with multiple colors.

Small...comes with an armband for runners.

NOT $100!!! Are you kidding me! isights aren't even that cheap! This is Apple we are talking about! Its gunna be good. Look for the price to drop around $250.

And now for the size: NO 2BG (weak) Apple will show off a nice 4.5 GB in multiple colors. 2 models in muli color is a nightmare. They will have the one size only.

G5 Speeds:

YUP! You guessed it...3GHZ!!!

Some of you may laugh, but this is whats coming...believe it or not. Its fact now. I will smile on the 6th when I turn out to be EXACTLY right. Who else believes me? I will smile again when I'm right and you're wrong. PEACE

Lanbrown
Jan 2, 2004, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by NeatGekko
MINI IPOD FACTS:

They are going to be HD based but loaded with RAM so it won't skip.

They will ship with multiple colors.

Small...comes with an armband for runners.

NOT $100!!! Are you kidding me! isights aren't even that cheap! This is Apple we are talking about! Its gunna be good. Look for the price to drop around $250.

And now for the size: NO 2BG (weak) Apple will show off a nice 4.5 GB in multiple colors. 2 models in muli color is a nightmare. They will have the one size only.

G5 Speeds:

YUP! You guessed it...3GHZ!!!

Some of you may laugh, but this is whats coming...believe it or not. Its fact now. I will smile on the 6th when I turn out to be EXACTLY right. Who else believes me? I will smile again when I'm right and you're wrong. PEACE

The 10GB iPod is $299. Why would someone pay $250 for 4.5GB? Of course there is RAM in them, it loads the song so the HD doesn't have to be accessed constantly. Why do you think that files need to be smaller than X amount, so the HD doesn't get accessed constantly? On some albums it is one long song as there are no time spaces between tracks and in the case of the iPod, the battery time would be severely shortened if it were all one file.

What are you going to do if you're wrong?

NeatGekko
Jan 2, 2004, 02:42 PM
Come tuesday, I expect letter of apology from everyone. I will eat my socks if I am wrong about this. (nill the EXACT price, because that thing changes on a day to day basis. Just ballparks are for sure.)

rdowns
Jan 2, 2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by NeatGekko
Come tuesday, I expect letter of apology from everyone. I will eat my socks if I am wrong about this. (nill the EXACT price, because that thing changes on a day to day basis. Just ballparks are for sure.)

Come Tuesday, I suspect we'll never hear from you again.

NeatGekko
Jan 2, 2004, 05:19 PM
Why does nobody think what I say will actually happen? Is it really that far fetched? So shocking? Cause thats whats going to happen.;)

Pirate_Will
Jan 3, 2004, 11:20 AM
Well a few people have made posts like the following (mine) and you just ignore them and carry on.

NeatGekko you are posting all over the place on macrumors and you dont seem to ever want to justify yourself.
So i will ask, how do you know this stuff?

Just give me some logical argument to back up your statements and i would certainly leave you alone.
I think its nonsense myself, what would mac have to gain by introducing an mp3 player with a price and spec only just lower than the current models? That would just take sales from the current ipod. You dismiss a 2GB because it is so small, but some of the best selling players (which apple currently doesnt have anything to compete with) are small capacity solid state players.
Look at pretty much every other mp3 player brand, they usually have a HDD based player and a solid state one (phillips, creative, iriver, rio).
Apple could release a generic flash player with a pretty shell and everyone would buy one because they have built an excellent reputation with the ipod, so why wouldnt they build their own and release it?

Sorry for the rant, but its getting irritating seeing your psychic predictions with no substance

So justify yourself and maybe people will believe you.

bensisko
Jan 3, 2004, 12:23 PM
Wouldn't everybody be disappointed if Apple didn't actually introduce these things at MWSF?

Suppose holiday spending promted Apple to reconsider and save them for WWDC or another unspecified spring/summer release.

Or maybe not at all....
AFAIK Mini iPods are not a forgone conclusion. Anybody remember the iWalk incident?

NeatGekko
Jan 3, 2004, 02:25 PM
Apple makes its decisions in a wierd kind of way. As far as product design...the unit can be finished and ready for production, but if steve doesn't like it...it doesn't go. IN fact, it gets sent back to scratch. Mini iPods were supposed to be a fall item believe it or not. *smiles* I see now that I am going to get no respect for the information I have, if I don't at least hint on how I get it. I will admit now, to being a lowly apple store employ. I hope nobody expects me to reveal which one...for crying out loud! However, I will say it happens to be close to MR. Jobs heart. Cheers

bensisko
Jan 3, 2004, 06:39 PM
This is my macworl holiday wish (Though, before anyone shoots back, I am well aware it IS NOT going to happen, but I can dream....):

Apple announces their complete purchase of Discreet. Steve announces Final Cut Pro 5 (using discreet tech) due out in March. Steve also announces 3DSMax, also due in March. Mac price: $999. PC Price: $6999. Also, coming in March, 3.0 ghz Duel Powermac G5 (trade in your PC to get $200 off).

Oh yeah, and one more thing: iPhoto Pro. Speed and stability for librarys of up to 100,000 images. Price: $49.

*Sigh* I guess it's time to wake up....