PDA

View Full Version : Ok so now since the announcement of the early release of nehalem, I think I'll wait..

jjahshik32
Jul 27, 2008, 03:09 PM
I was going to go down to my local apple store today and pick up a 23" ACD along with a mac pro 2.8ghz model.

But now I'm thinking about just picking up a white macbook and wait until dec. or at most january for the nehalem.

It seems like Nehalem could be anywhere from 20%-50% faster.. you guys think its worth the 4-6 month wait??

And I know this is one of those thread things but man the mac pro + the cinema display is so expensive that this decision is so hard!! And I decided to go with the 23" acd since I've owned it before and I know I'll be more than satisfied with it.

wpc33
Jul 27, 2008, 03:36 PM
If you're willing to wait for a refreshed MP, then you should definitely stay away from the ACD. They are great, but very outdated for the price.

jjahshik32
Jul 27, 2008, 03:48 PM
If you're willing to wait for a refreshed MP, then you should definitely stay away from the ACD. They are great, but very outdated for the price.

Yea I agree, this is why I'm also thinking about waiting until January 09 to purchase a mac pro just incase they update the cinema display lineup with led backlighting. Then I could just order a nehalem mac pro + 23" ACD LED =D that would be freaking awesome.

smogsy
Jul 27, 2008, 04:17 PM
im waiting to buy i thought it might be jun till they update to nelh but we might hear some news.

i won#t have the cash till. sept anyway.

Buying 8 Core Mac Pro With 8800GT + 2 30inch Mointors. At The moment
3008WFP But if displays are updated with HDCP+HDMI ill grab them instead.

Lord Zedd
Jul 27, 2008, 04:21 PM
There won't be a MacPro update until January.

Mangaroo
Jul 27, 2008, 04:27 PM
I'm looking to buy a nehalm mac pro, with either 23" or 30", leaning towards the 30" but really want a faster response time as i do occasionally game. I don't care too much about hdmi nor inbuilt isight (i find the old isights or the agentv3 quite sexy) but cant understand why many people would also like want those features.

I figured ill buy the new mac pros with nehalm whenever they come out, and wait until jan 09 to get the monitor

G4DP
Jul 27, 2008, 04:35 PM
What are you on, they have been due out in Q4 is Apple carry on with the Xeons, which they probably will, then it won't be until January at least.

nanofrog
Jul 27, 2008, 07:37 PM
+1 on Jan '09. ;)
Intel will release the Nehalem series (Gainestown for MP) before then, so the extra time may allow Apple to sort issues, including supply. :eek: :)

jjahshik32
Jul 27, 2008, 08:37 PM
Heh, doesnt matter to me anymore since I just got the mac pro today. I'm just going to wait and get whatever is new in 2011-2012! :D

nanofrog
Jul 27, 2008, 11:06 PM
What?!? 3.5 years, that's it?
What are you doing? Trying to solve the ultimate question of the universe?
We already know the answer. 42 :D :p

jjahshik32
Jul 27, 2008, 11:11 PM
What?!? 3.5 years, that's it?
What are you doing? Trying to solve the ultimate question of the universe?
We already know the answer. 42 :D :p

Were all going to die in 2012 anyway!! :eek::eek:

nanofrog
Jul 27, 2008, 11:41 PM
Were all going to die in 2012 anyway!! :eek::eek:

Only if we leave the outcome of the world in the hands of politicians. :D :p
Wait a minute... we are doomed! :eek: :cool:

Pressure
Jul 28, 2008, 10:42 AM
It's merely a paper-launch to thwart AMDs upcoming Deneb 45nm processor from looking any good. That is, it will most likely be announced as a technology preview for release in january.

Seriously...

DantesAID
Jul 30, 2008, 09:40 AM
Maybe everyone knows this already but this is what I could find on the net about nehalem and release dates:
"As we are speaking, wafers are moving through the fabs in anticipation of shipping to customers for that November 12 launch," Otellini said. A second wave of releases, including mobile versions of the processor, will be released in the first quarter of 2008, while the Montevina platform for laptops, the successor to Santa Rosa, will appear midyear."
http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14510/1154/

So i think this is it, for sure no new MAC PRO this year. But it will be out right at the beginning of the next...

I hope this helps.

Roy
Jul 30, 2008, 09:45 AM
Maybe everyone knows this already but this is what I could find on the net about nehalem and release dates:
"As we are speaking, wafers are moving through the fabs in anticipation of shipping to customers for that November 12 launch," Otellini said. A second wave of releases, including mobile versions of the processor, will be released in the first quarter of 2008, while the Montevina platform for laptops, the successor to Santa Rosa, will appear midyear."
http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14510/1154/

So i think this is it, for sure no new MAC PRO this year. But it will be out right at the beginning of the next...

I hope this helps.

Even though the article says "2008", would not "2009" be correct?

Tallest Skil
Jul 30, 2008, 11:38 AM
Even though the article says "2008", would not "2009" be correct?

His article doesn't even MENTION Nehalem. The article is correct in that it's talking about Santa Rosa and Penryn...

Nehalem Mac Pros on the Tuesday before MacWorld 2009.

Roy
Jul 30, 2008, 01:28 PM
His article doesn't even MENTION Nehalem. The article is correct in that it's talking about Santa Rosa and Penryn...

Nehalem Mac Pros on the Tuesday before MacWorld 2009.

Well, yes it does mention "Nehalem", but the article's writer keeps switching back and forth and it's somewhat hard to follow. I think the key is the article is dated: Wednesday, 19 September 2007.

jjahshik32
Jul 30, 2008, 03:24 PM
I'm happy with my purchase of the penryn mac pro its plenty fast and will last me for at least 3-4 years.

I'll just wait 4 years and just buy whatever is out then. :D

gauchogolfer
Jul 30, 2008, 03:27 PM
I'm happy with my purchase of the penryn mac pro its plenty fast and will last me for at least 3-4 years.

I'll just wait 4 years and just buy whatever is out then. :D

If it's the machine in your sig you should have plenty of power...what are you using it for that you could use a Macbook for until December?

jjahshik32
Jul 30, 2008, 03:59 PM
If it's the machine in your sig you should have plenty of power...what are you using it for that you could use a Macbook for until December?

I was going to just get a macbook and just do some light hd encoding until then but I guess I got the full power now! :p

gauchogolfer
Jul 30, 2008, 04:00 PM
I was going to just get a macbook and just do some light hd encoding until then but I guess I got the full power now! :p

So you use it for HD video encoding? The more power the better, I suppose.

CWallace
Jul 30, 2008, 08:28 PM
Nehalem will see a "paper launch" in September, but product is not expected to ship until October and it now looks to be the single-CPU desktop product and not the multi-CPU workstation/server product as was originally planned.

So I'll likely be buying a current Mac Pro soon and then upgrade to Nehalem in 12-18 months. Snow Leopard is going to do wonders for the current Mac Pro, anyway, so...

jjahshik32
Jul 30, 2008, 11:14 PM
Nehalem will see a "paper launch" in September, but product is not expected to ship until October and it now looks to be the single-CPU desktop product and not the multi-CPU workstation/server product as was originally planned.

So I'll likely be buying a current Mac Pro soon and then upgrade to Nehalem in 12-18 months. Snow Leopard is going to do wonders for the current Mac Pro, anyway, so...

yea the only thing that I'm waiting for now is snow leopard.

Morriss
Jul 31, 2008, 03:30 AM
So I'll likely be buying a current Mac Pro soon and then upgrade to Nehalem in 12-18 months.
So..., are you saying that we'll be waiting another year until the next Mac Pro upgrade? Seems like an awful long time between updates to the Pro line of Mac desktops.

Roy
Jul 31, 2008, 08:55 AM
So..., are you saying that we'll be waiting another year until the next Mac Pro upgrade? Seems like an awful long time between updates to the Pro line of Mac desktops.

Not if the past has any relevance. The 2006 Mac Pro (1st Mac Pro) came out in August of 2006. The Early 2008 Mac Pro (Apple gave us the "Early" name) came out in January of 2008. 511 days according to my accounting. 500 plus days would put the next Mac Pro coming out in May or June 2009.

Tallest Skil
Jul 31, 2008, 09:02 AM

Well, luckily enough, it took Apple 518 days to update the Mac Pro last time!

Morriss
Jul 31, 2008, 01:30 PM
According to the MR Buying Guide: "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle". I assumed this meant a new upgrade would be within the next 6 months or so. I'm clueless when it comes to following the release dates of the latest Intel products, so I've been keeping my eye on the Buying Guide page:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

However, if the consensus is that it'll be mid 2009 until the next upgrade to the MP line, I guess I should look to buy now rather than wait. I guess I could hope for a price reduction in the meanwhile.

Roy
Jul 31, 2008, 01:45 PM
According to the MR Buying Guide: "Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle". I assumed this meant a new upgrade would be within the next 6 months or so. I'm clueless when it comes to following the release dates of the latest Intel products, so I've been keeping my eye on the Buying Guide page:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_Pro

However, if the consensus is that it'll be mid 2009 until the next upgrade to the MP line, I guess I should look to buy now rather than wait. I guess I could hope for a price reduction in the meanwhile.

The "consensus" is that it the update will be anywhere from late 2008 until possibly sometime mid-2009.

Price reduction! I can tell you haven't been following Apple for long. Don't look for any price reductions.

osin
Jul 31, 2008, 08:38 PM
I was going to go down to my local apple store today and pick up a 23" ACD along with a mac pro 2.8ghz model.

But now I'm thinking about just picking up a white macbook and wait until dec. or at most january for the nehalem.

the macbooks will see an update much sooner than macpro's (september?). so if you want the newest computer you should wait no matter what...

are you really going to use all of the processing power of today's macpro's?
are you sure? ;)
do really want to wait that long?

jjahshik32
Jul 31, 2008, 10:31 PM
yea I just went ahead and bought it lol.

Either way 4 years from now I'll just upgrade then with whatever is new.

m1stake
Jul 31, 2008, 11:08 PM
What do you do with it?

jjahshik32
Aug 1, 2008, 12:26 AM
What do you do with it?

Massive storage of video files and hd encoding, vmware fusion for a few programs, some gaming, massive music collection, chatting, mail, visualhub, heavy multitasking, safari, transmission, unison, streaming hd movies to xbox 360, iphoto collection, colloquy, microsoft word and stuff like that.

nanofrog
Aug 1, 2008, 12:54 AM
Massive storage of video files and hd encoding, vmware fusion for a few programs, some gaming, massive music collection, chatting, mail, visualhub, heavy multitasking, safari, transmission, unison, streaming hd movies to xbox 360, iphoto collection, colloquy, microsoft word and stuff like that.

Would you like RAID with that sir? ;) :p

m1stake
Aug 1, 2008, 01:07 AM
Cute :p

musicmasteroz
Aug 1, 2008, 08:14 AM
Its always a hard decision to wait or not...

but there is always a new one round the corner. [ and that goes for all machines / technology etc etc]

its best to judge what the real increases of performance / features [ not all the marketing just the real..]

but i believe you did the right thing buying now - they are a great box and kick arse! i am sure you are loving it :D

omm :apple:

CWallace
Aug 1, 2008, 08:52 AM
So...are you saying that we'll be waiting another year until the next Mac Pro upgrade? Seems like an awful long time between updates to the Pro line of Mac desktops.

I do not believe it will be that long, but if Intel holds back on the server / workstation line, they might not be able to get them into Apple's hands by Mac World 2009 (which I and others have hypothesized could be the launch window). So that could mean WWDC (if Apple wants to make a big splash) and that is too late for me.

The early Nehalems are not going to be cheap, so it is possible that Apple's margin warnings are because they will eat the price difference between Xeons/Penryns and Nehalems to keep price points the same, which would support Apple launching the chips as soon as they can get them.

nanofrog
Aug 1, 2008, 09:45 AM
I do not believe it will be that long, but if Intel holds back on the server / workstation line, they might not be able to get them into Apple's hands by Mac World 2009 (which I and others have hypothesized could be the launch window). So that could mean WWDC (if Apple wants to make a big splash) and that is too late for me.

The early Nehalems are not going to be cheap, so it is possible that Apple's margin warnings are because they will eat the price difference between Xeons/Penryns and Nehalems to keep price points the same, which would support Apple launching the chips as soon as they can get them.

Well said. ;)

Hopefully Apple will be able to obtain a supply that allows them to release within target pricing and on time. :)

Mattww
Aug 1, 2008, 03:42 PM
I just notice on nehalemnews.com that they now have some benchmarks for the Gainstown chips which seem likely candidates for the Mac Pro based on Apple's previous chip model choices. There is also an article suggesting Bloomfield - the mainstream desktop version of Nehalem may be announced in September and ship in October. In the past (with Penryn for example) the mainstream desktop models have shipped after the mainstream Server/Workstation chips although they could proceed differently this time I guess.

iMacmatician
Aug 2, 2008, 12:41 PM
Massive storage of video files and hd encoding,
microsoft word and stuff like that.No you do not need a Mac Pro for that! :p

Or is Microsoft Word that bloated? :D

I just notice on nehalemnews.com that they now have some benchmarks for the Gainstown chips which seem likely candidates for the Mac Pro based on Apple's previous chip model choices. There is also an article suggesting Bloomfield - the mainstream desktop version of Nehalem may be announced in September and ship in October. In the past (with Penryn for example) the mainstream desktop models have shipped after the mainstream Server/Workstation chips although they could proceed differently this time I guess.:eek:

Bye-bye Penryn and Barcelona. At least until 6-core Istanbul (H2 2009) comes.

We should be seeing some pretty significant performance improvements for the next Mac Pros. Given that there won't be significant quantities of Gainestown until Q4 2008, we may see a January/February (not Macworld) release.

jjahshik32
Aug 3, 2008, 01:58 AM
No you do not need a Mac Pro for that! :p

Or is Microsoft Word that bloated? :D

:eek:

Bye-bye Penryn and Barcelona. At least until 6-core Istanbul (H2 2009) comes.

We should be seeing some pretty significant performance improvements for the next Mac Pros. Given that there won't be significant quantities of Gainestown until Q4 2008, we may see a January/February (not Macworld) release.

I still only have microsoft 2004 (PPC)!! :eek::eek::o

toke lahti
Aug 3, 2008, 07:13 AM
The Early 2008 Mac Pro (Apple gave us the "Early" name) came out in January of 2008.

If there wouldn't be "Late 2008", wouldn't "Early 2008" just called "2008"?
Surely Apple knows more than one year ahead when it's going to put out a new model. And they would not decrease their sales by giving hints of earlier upgrade than they are going to do.

Tallest Skil
Aug 3, 2008, 07:39 AM
Surely Apple knows more than one year ahead when it's going to put out a new model. And they would not decrease their sales by giving hints of earlier upgrade than they are going to do.

The previous generation of iMac and several older iBook releases used the prefix "Mid" before the year when there were no other releases that year.

Roy
Aug 3, 2008, 08:41 AM

It surprises me the heck out of me that apple even calls it the "Early 2008" even if they knew or everybody even suspected they would bring out another model in 2008. I could see them naming it the "Early 2008" model after they had brought out another model later in 2008. Surely does not sound like something Apple would do, but there it is on their support page:

http://www.apple.com/support/macpro/
Mac Pro (Early 2008) User's Guide (http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Mac_Pro_Early_2008.pdf) (PDF)

4God
Aug 3, 2008, 02:44 PM
yea I just went ahead and bought it lol.

Either way 4 years from now I'll just upgrade then with whatever is new.

Did you get the 4 core or 8 core version?

jjahshik32
Aug 3, 2008, 05:14 PM
Did you get the 4 core or 8 core version?

8 core.

CWallace
Aug 3, 2008, 05:14 PM
It surprises me the heck out of me that apple even calls it the "Early 2008" even if they knew or everybody even suspected they would bring out another model in 2008.

Well only the "Early 2008" Mac Pro and MacBook Pro officially support Windows Vista x64, so Apple might have applied those monikers for that reason.

jjahshik32
Aug 3, 2008, 05:25 PM
It wouldnt really matter if it was called "early" mac pro or "late" because its just distinguishing the time of its release/model.

Roy
Aug 3, 2008, 08:03 PM
It wouldnt really matter if it was called "early" mac pro or "late" because its just distinguishing the time of its release/model.

Following that logic, should not the Mac Pro introduced in August of 2006 be dubbed by Apple the "Mid-Summer 2006 Mac Pro"?

jjahshik32
Aug 3, 2008, 08:09 PM
Following that logic, should not the Mac Pro introduced in August of 2006 be dubbed by Apple the "Mid-Summer 2006 Mac Pro"?

It is though.

Roy
Aug 3, 2008, 08:12 PM
It is though.

But not by Apple.

Trajectory
Aug 3, 2008, 08:15 PM

I don't recommend the 23" ACDs, they have had problems from the beginning, such as uneven backlighting, whites that look yellow along the edges, and excessive flickering.

jjahshik32
Aug 3, 2008, 08:17 PM
I don't recommend the 23" ACDs, they have had problems from the beginning, such as uneven backlighting, whites that look yellow along the edges, and excessive flickering.

What screens do you recommend?

I already picked up a mac pro and the 23" ACD and the apple care but I do notice that the far right is a teeny bit brighter than the left. But other than that its hardly noticable and nearly perfect.

I think most screens will have some form of uneven brightness even the new nec ones have this issue as well. I think the nec 3090 that I read about in the hardforums.

iMacmatician
Aug 3, 2008, 10:10 PM
Following that logic, should not the Mac Pro introduced in August of 2006 be dubbed by Apple the "Mid-Summer 2006 Mac Pro"?It's probably because it was the first Mac Pro, so it's just called "Mac Pro."

Trajectory
Aug 3, 2008, 10:22 PM
What screens do you recommend?

I already picked up a mac pro and the 23" ACD and the apple care but I do notice that the far right is a teeny bit brighter than the left. But other than that its hardly noticable and nearly perfect.

Sounds like you got a decent 23" ACD. That uneven brightness is more pronounced in a lot of those displays, which was a problem because Apple initially marketed that display to graphic designers who wanted a color-accurate LCD monitor. But when the color looks different depending on which side of the screen it's on, that won't fly for color-critical work.

But, for general computer use, they are beautiful displays and most people wouldn't notice/care about color inconsistencies on the screen like a graphic designer would.

musicmasteroz
Aug 3, 2008, 11:05 PM

The 23 ACD's are great screens but for the money these days you can get much more bang for your buck.

maybe get 2 x 21.6 Samsung 2253LW 2ms WS DVI [ they are $270au in australia compared to $1399au for the 23" ACD] - i'm sure they would only be 150 odd in u.s.a.

yes the 22's are much cheaper than the 24's - if u wanted more real estate go them... :)

and we all really want an "apple" staring at us not any other logo but... $ for $ atm - anyway just my opinion and that is what i am recommending to my clients [ who r all happy ] until the ACD's get upgraded...

they also haven't been "specification" updated for 2 years - aug 06 [ price drops only since then as seen in the buyers guide....]

But obviously the fact there is no camera inbuilt and the same ms rating for 2 years while most other manufacturers have released many new models and the prices have dropped massively.

imacs have had inbuilt isight for ages and it is only natural that apple will want them inbuilt into the ACD range.... its just a matter of time... :apple:

m1stake
Aug 3, 2008, 11:10 PM
Hopefully LED screens are cheap enough for Apple to implement them in January.

musicmasteroz
Aug 3, 2008, 11:13 PM
Sounds like you got a decent 23" ACD. That uneven brightness is more pronounced in a lot of those displays, which was a problem because Apple initially marketed that display to graphic designers who wanted a color-accurate LCD monitor. But when the color looks different depending on which side of the screen it's on, that won't fly for color-critical work.

Yep - u r totally correct Trajectory.

Designers spend so much time trying to get the "temperature" / colour matching to print as close as possible - when its off they [ their clients] waste $$$$ going to print n its wrong. Even if its picked up in "press checks" it still wastes time n money... [ n time is money...]

FSBW21086
Sep 3, 2008, 04:46 PM
i have had a 23 inch ACD for over a year with ZERO problems

O. Frabjous-Dey
Sep 3, 2008, 05:25 PM
There's a big community of display nerds at HardForum who are constantly reviewing LCD monitors - it's a great place to get information.

Unlike the MacBook vs. other laptops or the iPhone vs. other smartphones, the ACDs don't bring anything to the table that other monitors don't. Get something better and cheaper.