PDA

View Full Version : Gates patents e-picture hanging


iGav
Jan 1, 2004, 10:05 AM
kinda novel...

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/0,39020330,39118834,00.htm

pivo6
Jan 1, 2004, 10:30 AM
It seems to tie in with the distribution of electronic art. I guess that coud be the future, although I would much rather see an actual painting than a digital image of one on a monitor.

iGav
Jan 1, 2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by pivo6
It seems to tie in with the distribution of electronic art. I guess that coud be the future, although I would much rather see an actual painting than a digital image of one on a monitor.

it's a cool idea if you use your own imagery... but if say you decide to have the Mona Lisa above your fireplace... it becomes abit Athena 'Poster' tack if you ask me... :p

wdlove
Jan 1, 2004, 11:32 AM
It sounds like a novel idea for the geek that has everything. I prefer to have my original art collection.

Someday I would like to have a plasma TV hanging on the wall.

vitrector
Jan 1, 2004, 12:51 PM
I am amazed what people can patent! Next thing I will be in some kind of patent violation situation when I look at art on my LCD??...
The idea of having pictures managed and served from a central location to a picture frame has been around for a while, and the consumer product Ceiva (http://www.ceiva.com/) has been around for at least 2 years.

cubist
Jan 1, 2004, 01:04 PM
Yep, chalk up another blunder to the stupidity of the Patent Office.

It's amazing how badly they do their job; it goes way beyond mere incompetence.

coopdog
Jan 1, 2004, 01:40 PM
Its just like the movie anti-trust.

bennetsaysargh
Jan 1, 2004, 02:38 PM
i'd like this for pictures, not whole pieces of art. this is possible, problem is, i can't find one for less that $130 USD, and it's usb and holds about 11 pictures.i was going to get one for my mom for christmas, but i can't buy it. too expensive.

Jerry Spoon
Jan 1, 2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
i'd like this for pictures, not whole pieces of art. this is possible, problem is, i can't find one for less that $130 USD, and it's usb and holds about 11 pictures.i was going to get one for my mom for christmas, but i can't buy it. too expensive.
I like the idea of digital picture frames too, but you're right...they are too expensive. Getting a print and switching them out every so often is much cheaper. Plus, if I were to get a digital picture frame for my mother, I know I'd be the one updating the pictures for her. I'd rather just order her a 4x6 or 5x7 or 8x10 or whatever.

MrMacMan
Jan 2, 2004, 01:48 AM
:walks up to the pattent office:'
Me -- I'd like to Pattent this :holds it up:
Teller -- Wow, thats pretty neat... never seen something like that before... what do you call it?
Me -- "Fire "
Teller -- Fancy Name... let me check our record books for any matching documents
:searches:
Nope your all good... sign here, here, here, here, Initials here, and signature here, here and here.
Me -- Thanks!

;) :p

srobert
Jan 2, 2004, 09:42 AM
Reminds me of this guy who built a picture frame using his old Powerbook Duo 280c:

http://applefritter.com/hacks/duodigitalframe/index.html

http://applefritter.com/hacks/duodigitalframe/duodigitalframe/frontduodigitalframe.jpg

5300cs
Jan 5, 2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by srobert
Reminds me of this guy who built a picture frame using his old Powerbook Duo 280c...

Yeah, that's a cool hack, but it's a little saddening to me to see a nice machine like a Duo all carved up like that :(

Wonder if you could cut up something ugly like an NEC or something instead for the same purpose?