Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
So what do you guys think will be included in the hypothetical 3.0 update? I really can't think of anything that is really needed, or any features that would help. The few thing's that come to mind are an Apple developed VNC/VPN/SSH client, maybe less control over applications in the App Store...

So what do you think?

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
If you mean a new hardware Touch, then there have been many threads on the subject. If you mean the next major firmware revision, then I only have a few suggestions.

User Interface: More thoughtful menu interlinks. I'd like to see submenus within player apps. Video playback could benefit from direct access to screen brightness. Music/Podcast could benefit from direct access to equalizer and playback speed. Photos could benefit from direct access to slideshow speed and transitions.

Also, the media players need a shortcut to "last played". My Samsung P2 will go right into the playing screen when you hold down the Music icon on the home screen. Of course the Touch will go into wiggle mode if you hold, so another strategy will be required.

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
I know this sounds silly to some, but landscape keyboard everywhere you can type would be fantastic.

Oh, and as long as we're on a wishlist: Apple allowing bluetooth drivers for bluetooth-enabling attachments. (<----never going to happen :()

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Oh , one more thing that would make the iPod Touch the best web device ever. A growl-esque application in the settings, and letting apps run in the background. This would be fantastic for stuff like Twitteriffic, AIM, maybe Pandora for the background... Oh, and all the location-aware social networking.

And yeah, landscape everywhere would be nice.

IN terms of hardware, I have some nice ideas for the next iPod Touch.

1. Bluetooth! (for keyboards and stuff)
2. Better battery life. With my old nano, I would use it for a week, and then need to charge it. But I'll need to charge my Touch every night.
3. Quicker boot up, maybe?
4. Perhaps access to the 3G, or EDGE networks? But make it optional.

chadamorrill

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Orlando, FL
Also, the media players need a shortcut to "last played". My Samsung P2 will go right into the playing screen when you hold down the Music icon on the home screen. Of course the Touch will go into wiggle mode if you hold, so another strategy will be required.

Gosh, you mean like double-clicking the home button?

Polish97

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2006
The landscape keyboard and functionality in more places would be a helpful tool for all of us not so visually inclined. The ease of holding this device landscape really makes it more useful to me.

Safari could use some tweaks, but that really isn't a 3.0 discussion.

I like it pretty well as is.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Oh , one more thing that would make the iPod Touch the best web device ever. A growl-esque application in the settings, and letting apps run in the background. This would be fantastic for stuff like Twitteriffic, AIM, maybe Pandora for the background... Oh, and all the location-aware social networking.

And yeah, landscape everywhere would be nice.

IN terms of hardware, I have some nice ideas for the next iPod Touch.

1. Bluetooth! (for keyboards and stuff)
2. Better battery life. With my old nano, I would use it for a week, and then need to charge it. But I'll need to charge my Touch every night.
3. Quicker boot up, maybe?

4. they already have that. It's called an iPhone.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Gosh, you mean like double-clicking the home button?
Sure, except with one action not three. "hometap hometap music" also requires lifting and moving to another position to hit "music". The Samsung P2 just requires leaving your finger on the music icon for a fraction longer than a tap takes. The Touch UI has a few advantages, but could also stand improvement in a few places.

Anyone read the home page news post? Touch 2,1? Implications that there WILL be hardware changes?
This would suggest the "iPod2,1" model will carry new features and not simply represent a storage increase to the current iPod Touch.
IMO it needs stereo bluetooth. They already know how to do bluetooth in the iPhone. Putting stereo bluetooth would differentiate the Touch as a media player while leaving the iPhone to work fine with mono bluetooth.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Why the heck is double tapping the home button too cumbersome? Sounds like someone is a little lazy.
It's not too cumbersome. It's not intuitive, and it's not as efficient as it could be. Go on adapting yourself to the device. I prefer efficient, and that's why my P2 gets more use for media play than my Touch. Yes, I know it's hard to believe anything could be better than an Apple product. You can be a fanboy if you want. You're in the dictionary.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
Really... then go ahead and share what would be your preferred way of accessing the music on the Touch.
The best way is already blocked, as Apple decided to use a touch (longer contact than a tap) to start icons wiggling. If they could put icon arranging/deleting into a system option and free up touch, then any app could use a touch for whatever it wanted. Touch the video icon to get straight into the last-played video. Touch the music icon for last played music. Touch the photo icon for last played photo. Touch the safari icon and it might close all but one page and put the only page it opens on your home page.

If I wrote my own app I could decide what a touch would do compared to a tap on my icon. It might even be one of several actions you can pick from from within the app.

Now take two possible actions with any icon, and make it three. Tap, Touch, and double tap. Not every app needs start options, but imagine the possibilities.

PMB

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2007
New York
The best way is already blocked, as Apple decided to use a touch (longer contact than a tap) to start icons wiggling. If they could put icon arranging/deleting into a system option and free up touch, then any app could use a touch for whatever it wanted. Touch the video icon to get straight into the last-played video. Touch the music icon for last played music. Touch the photo icon for last played photo. Touch the safari icon and it might close all but one page and put the only page it opens on your home page.

If I wrote my own app I could decide what a touch would do compared to a tap on my icon. It might even be one of several actions you can pick from from within the app.

Now take two possible actions with any icon, and make it three. Tap, Touch, and double tap. Not every app needs start options, but imagine the possibilities.
you bring up a good point, but want if it were tap to open touch to wiggle, and doubble tap for special function

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
you bring up a good point, but want if it were tap to open touch to wiggle, and doubble tap for special function
I'm guessing you meant to say "What if it were tap to open, touch to wiggle, and double tap for special function?" That sounds fine, but as it is the Touch ignores a double tap everywhere but the home button. We know it can detect a touch or a tap, but unfortunately Apple was shortsighted in using touch for icon wiggle.

dasikes

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Alabama
personally, I see no reason to not add two and three-finger tapping or sliding to the mix of gestures. I've only seen one app even slightly use this (maps). Multi-Touch already does this in the MBP and Air.

BJWanlund

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
Meh. I like mah Verizon.
I didn't realize anyone actually liked Verizon. Considering they break the legs of all their products and force you to pay extra in order to do anything basic with your phone.
I have Verizon, I use Verizon, but by absolutely no means do I like Verizon. I use VZW because I basically HAVE to; my mother claims that AT&T has sh*tty reception at her place (and she's only had experience with a friend's cheap-as-chips phone) outside of Tryon, NC (and believe you me, she's in the STICKS!).

Also, if Apple packed in as many features as they could into the iPod Touch, or at LEAST gave us a worldwide pre-paid cellular voice and data combination option for the iPhone or even the iPod Touch (Apple Mobile, anyone?), I think they could very easily win me over to a new phone. I'm not moving an inch because my mother foots a $60 a month cellphone bill for yours truly as it is.

BJ

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
I have Verizon, I use Verizon, but by absolutely no means do I like Verizon. I use VZW because I basically HAVE to; my mother claims that AT&T has sh*tty reception at her place (and she's only had experience with a friend's cheap-as-chips phone) outside of Tryon, NC (and believe you me, she's in the STICKS!).

Also, if Apple packed in as many features as they could into the iPod Touch, or at LEAST gave us a worldwide pre-paid cellular voice and data combination option for the iPhone or even the iPod Touch (Apple Mobile, anyone?), I think they could very easily win me over to a new phone. I'm not moving an inch because my mother foots a $60 a month cellphone bill for yours truly as it is.

BJ

same boat. I'm getting an iPhone soon and jumping ship, but I have verizon right now because my parents foot the bill.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK

3G/Edge require a cellaur sim ergo the touch would need to transform into a phone............ hang on wait it already has its called THE IPHONE!! :rolleyes:

when are people gonna stop wanting this in the touch? theres the iphone its the exact same thing as the touch except it has mobile phone features and a camera.

How can the OP be thinking of 3.0 when we have only just got 2.0 and awaiting the 2.0 update (which hopefully will solve the MANY problems currently faced) :p

I know this sounds silly to some, but landscape keyboard everywhere you can type would be fantastic.

lanscape keyboard I would love it is tricky sometimes tryin to do keyboard in portrait, only app I have seen use this is safari so far.

thebeesknees

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2008
Meh. My parents do the bill, and I get reception practically everywhere. I only use my phone for talking and texting (although talking is rare- I'm a pretty big SMS addict) Maybe when March rolls around and I can get a new, low-priced or even free phone, I'll use it for media, but for now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.