Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexgbelov

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2009
I believe that the iPod Touch should litterally be the iPhone without the phone and the contract ( I mean including 3g speeds, GPS, and other stuff). I also believe that apple should stop trying to make money of the app store, and just allow third party developers to provide apps (stated another way, legalizing jailbreaking). As for other software updates: it would be nice to allow apps to run in the background (for example: while waiting for a webpage to load, you could play a game). Another thing: make the touch more like the computer (allow for minimizing apps).

Although I dislike apple for being greedy, I admire them for having good programers

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I believe that the iPod Touch should litterally be the iPhone without the phone and the contract ( I mean including 3g speeds, GPS, and other stuff). I also believe that apple should stop trying to make money of the app store, and just allow third party developers to provide apps (stated another way, legalizing jailbreaking). As for other software updates: it would be nice to allow apps to run in the background (for example: while waiting for a webpage to load, you could play a game). Another thing: make the touch more like the computer (allow for minimizing apps).

Although I dislike apple for being greedy, I admire them for having good programers

I see how Apple is being "greedy", taking a 30% cut(you can argue if thats being greedy or not)....but I don't think them not allowing some jailbreak app into the App store has to due with money....its a stability and control thing.

Greedy would be allow and all app w/o screening them and making devs pay 50% of profits

marold280

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
does the ipod touch not have bluetooth that gets unlocked with 3.0 ?
anyone managed to do that yet ?

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007

And how do you plan on getting 3g speeds without a sim-card? Surely this will make the iPod touch into an iPhone, and thus negate all of the above requests?

And personally I don't feel Apple are taking too much money. For all the hassle of trying to sell an application, i'd much rather let Apple do all the hard work and just give me a nice 70%.

I do agree that background apps would be nice, but not essential as I get by fine without it.

al1cre

macrumors member
May 31, 2008
Things that would be nice

1) I'd love to see a one touch way to turn on and off the network connectivity.

An alternative would be an option for apps to automatically turn on networking directly rather than just saying it can't connect. Probably a box saying enable Yes/No to make sure an app doesn't do anything hidden.

2) A way to let me remove my neighbor's wireless connections from my list permanently. Right now the only way to remove an entry is if I've connected to it at least once.

3) Real multitasking.

4) Allow an application to add/modify/remove entries from the calendar app. Beef up the calendar app and it could become VERY useful.

Just somoe thoughts. No new hardware required, and honestly...they should be trivial changes.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA

well, atually Apple doesn't make much money from app store because developer get 70% revenue, Apple gets 30%. plus, apple covers all credit card fee when it comes to transaction. don't be stupid if you don't know about it well.

DHarrisDBS34

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah making money for the work they do, how dare they...:rolleyes:

Taking only 30% of the profits and covering the cost to host it and pay all credit card fees is a great deal for developers. The apps they develop are easily distributed and get to the most people. I can't see how developers would complain about that. Once they write the app, their work is done. Apple sends wires them money every month.

The 3G thing is just stupid. You have to have a contract and monthly fee for that service. If you pay someone to come mow your lawn every week, do you just pay him $20 and expect him to come do it forever for no additional fees?

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
BUT YOU CANT UUPGRADE TO 3.0 IF YOU JAILBRAKE

yes you can, it's an update why wouldn't you be able to upgrade? if you mean upgrade and jailbreak well at the min you cant but there is a jailbreak that works with beta 3 but the person behind the jailbreak will not release the jailbreak.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.