Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Clawn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2002
More i-book problems:

The Apple System profiler does not show the Serial Number of the computer

(ibook, g3, 600mhz, 256 ram)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

clawn

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by firewire2001
you can jus look at the serial on the bottom of the computer.... :rolleyes:

Actually, this happened to me with my rig (G4/533). My problem was taken very seriously by Apple Support. Tier-2 support was calling me 2 or 3 times a day to give me a list of things to do to try to get it to appear again. None were working.

They seemed very anxious to get to the bottom of the "missing" serial. I think this problem is rare, but it's obviously something Apple dosen't like.

Luckily enough, by HD failed (a ball-bearing popped out) and they replaced it free, of course, through AppleCare. When I booted the machine my serial was back. Never had that problem since.

PS: One thing that still occurs from time-to-time is when waking my machine from Sleep, my audio goes mute and there seems no way to get it back (mute button is unchecked and I can still control volume - no sounds though). I have to reboot and then I've got my sound back. Does this happen to anyone else.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by tfaz1

PS: One thing that still occurs from time-to-time is when waking my machine from Sleep, my audio goes mute and there seems no way to get it back (mute button is unchecked and I can still control volume - no sounds though). I have to reboot and then I've got my sound back. Does this happen to anyone else.

I think this happened with iTunes and sleep under OS X 10.1. I assume this has been fixed, since I am running 10.1.3 and it hasn't happened since. So it might have been a software glitch.

Any time is a great time for iPod.
Working on avatar and new signature...
Planning to retire the current signature.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by King Cobra

I think this happened with iTunes and sleep under OS X 10.1. I assume this has been fixed, since I am running 10.1.3 and it hasn't happened since. So it might have been a software glitch.

10.1.3? :confused:

Get thee to Software Update!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: huh?

Originally posted by MacAztec
Why is that a "problem?"

If something is built in to the system profiler, and it's designed to go get information from the computer, and it doesn't, it's not doing its job. I would consider that a problem!

My G4 400 PCI doesn't show the serial number in the Apple System Profiler, but it's also an older model, so maybe that has something to do with it, I dunno. I had to retrieve my serial number awhile back to get a replacement mouse covered under warranty, and I guarantee it would have been much easier to go to the profiler than have to pull my tower out and crane my neck at weird angles! I'm sure my countless hours in front of the computer are doing me enough good as it is... :rolleyes:

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
The Apple tech's left a little utility on my last TiBook that can put the serial number back into the computer. They needed to use it since they replaced the motherboard a couple of times. I believe that it only runs under OS 9.x though. I put it on my external drive, so that I have it just in case I ever need it. :D

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Originally posted by AlphaTech
The Apple tech's left a little utility on my last TiBook that can put the serial number back into the computer. They needed to use it since they replaced the motherboard a couple of times. I believe that it only runs under OS 9.x though. I put it on my external drive, so that I have it just in case I ever need it. :D

What's the name of the utility? Maybe it's available online. Sounds like something I might be able to use.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I will look for it tonight on my external drive and let you know. If you really need it, I might be able to email it to you. Unless you have a iDisk that I could slide it to. :D

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Re: solution

Originally posted by Clawn
...zapping the p-ram did bring it back...

I hope so, but I wouldn't be too sure.

As I remember, zapping the p-ram solved my missing serial problem short term. Continue checking it. I remember that the serial dissappeared again after a few restarts.

Just keep an eye on her...

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Whoever needs the little utility (looks like it is for OS 9.x, not X) drop me a message (private ones are allowed). Put an email address that I can slide the file to, and I will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.