PDA

View Full Version : MacPro Internet

petersonwork
Aug 1, 2008, 09:22 PM
Hey, now I use a pc for gaming and my mac for work and I have one ethernet cable that directly connects to my modem. Whenever I try to turn on my mac and plug in my ethernet cable I always have to like unplug, plug it back in and then restart and try unplugging and plugging itb ack in to get internet. Is there a special way to solve this problem like setting up my mac to recognize this or maybe like a certain time to insert the cable?
Thanks,
Ken

drewsof07
Aug 2, 2008, 09:00 AM
Do you have an airport card? I know if you have airport and need to use ethernet, you must switch it off and wait for the ethernet to be selected.

corbywan
Aug 2, 2008, 10:42 AM
You could go get yourself a router/switch. They aren't too spendy these days. Especially online.

petersonwork
Aug 2, 2008, 11:22 PM
Well, I have an airport utility but when i click it it scans and finds nothing and I can choose anything, like any off or on button. So I guess I don't have one in here?

drewsof07
Aug 3, 2008, 08:30 AM
Well, I have an airport utility but when i click it it scans and finds nothing and I can choose anything, like any off or on button. So I guess I don't have one in here?

Well unless you added it when you purchased it, airport cards do not come standard with the Mac Pro. I guess my advice is of no use now. But I do know that you have to give the ethernet a minute to configure itself.

Consultant
Aug 4, 2008, 11:10 AM
It's not the mac. You need to BUY a router.

Example:
Airport Extreme Base Station
http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/

ChrisA
Aug 5, 2008, 01:20 AM
Hey, now I use a pc for gaming and my mac for work and I have one ethernet cable that directly connects to my modem.....
What you need is a simple wired router. Get one from d-link or linksys for about $40 or if you like, an Apple router would work too and have a few more features.