PDA

View Full Version : Steve Jobs Product Teasers

MacRumors
Jan 5, 2004, 05:02 AM
With MacWorld just a day away, readers are reminded of some teasers for 2004 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/11/20031106162004.shtml) from Steve Jobs in a November Analyst Meeting Conference Call:
Q: "Are you going to allow the iTunes to work with other devices and conversely are you going to allow the iPod to work with other online Music Services?"
Jobs: "We don't know. Right now, there is really little reason to. The iPod is the #1 MP3 player in the world .... The iTunes music store works with the most popular music player around and that's working really well for us. Conversely the iPod is working with the #1 music store. Soundscan just released data today and last week the iTMS had over an 80% market share for all legally downloaded music. Why should we work with another music store when we're working with the "Microsoft" of music stores. So, right now we've got an 80%+ share in our music store and we're #1 in units and of course revenue in the iPod. We're investing a lot in that. Got some great stuff coming out over the next... uh... timeframes. And so, right now there's really not reason to spend that engineering on working with #2 or #3 or #4. I'd rather spend our engineering dollars on enhancing the iPod and enhancing the iTunes Music Store. .... Maybe there'll be a reason someday and we're flexible, but right now I think we're spending our money on the path of least resistance to do the right thing."

Q: Re: Digital Lifestyle applications. The competition is starting to make some inroads. So, how do you stay ahead? And what is the next big wave?
Jobs: "The way we stay ahead is we stay really close to the customer and keep doing what we do well. For example, digital photo apps. iPhoto is the king of that but even iPhotos have limitations that people are running up against - some major ones - those need to be solved." .... "And there are new categories of applications that people don't even think of yet, that we're working on. So, believe me, we have a lot of innovation up our sleeve when it comes the digital lifestyle/digital hub class of applications - a LOT. And, um, you'll be seeing some of it next year. Very strong stuff."

Q: Question regarding PowerPC/Intel and Mac OS X
Jobs: "Right now we don't see a compelling need to switch processor families and the stuff that's in the PowerPC roadmap -- which you might have heard about already -- is really good, I can't talk about it, but it's really good what's coming."

MacMarino
Jan 5, 2004, 05:06 AM
How much of it is going to be software and hardware based I wonder?!? Just another day and we'll all find out. I really hope that tis an awsome release of new things. Fingers crossed...

Macmarino

ainiw
Jan 5, 2004, 05:15 AM
Well,
since this is news from november, it's not reaally news. Good you reminded us though...
We will soon know if these things will happen at MacWorld

The Shadow
Jan 5, 2004, 06:01 AM
I am looking forward to a speed bump in PowerMacs, just as an indication that the Rev B later this year is on track (That's the one I want before I upgrade my G4).

But talk of new software always gets me excited - it's the real difference between Macs and PCs. And there's been heaps released over the past couple of years.

Let's hope the gap widens even more.

MrMacMan
Jan 5, 2004, 06:26 AM
ha rumors that jobs said... classic.

Squire
Jan 5, 2004, 06:38 AM
Good. I like the digital hub. That's one of the things that attracted me to Macs in the first place. But what other products would fit into one's digital lifestyle? The set-top box or something for video, a PDA, a phone, a camera, a universal remote control...

Sorry. Just thinking out loud there.

I think this MacWorld seems eerily low-key and, therefore, I bet we'll be hit with a few big surprises. Hardware is always nice but because of the price tag, I'm more interested in software releases.

Squire

jZilla
Jan 5, 2004, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by The Shadow
I am looking forward to a speed bump in PowerMacs, just as an indication that the Rev B later this year is on track (That's the one I want before I upgrade my G4).

Good idea. I'm on my third Rev A G5 dualie!

(PSU noise still here although better than the first two).

i_wolf
Jan 5, 2004, 06:49 AM
its kind of annoying the way the interviewer was asking about changing processor families. i mean with the release of the G5, that should have put that rumor to bed. Surely there is no uncertainty that PowerPC is the way to go for apple. what is the obsession still there that apple will move to intel family?!? Especially when you look at the roadmaps from IBM of their Power Series.

tny
Jan 5, 2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by i_wolf
its kind of annoying the way the interviewer was asking about changing processor families. i mean with the release of the G5, that should have put that rumor to bed.

The reviewer must have been reading Enderle (or must have been Enderle). There are some idiots who simply can't imagine why Apple won't go Intel, and eventually go Wintel compatible. At lot of that has to do with the question of whether Apple is competing with Dell in the zero-sum market share game, or simply looking to increase revenues and profits each year from the year before.

BTW, I've been shocked that there haven't been any web leaks this weekend. After the G5 leak, and the Time iMac leak, and a few other such "slip-ups," I had pretty much decided that they were carefully orchestrated leaks designed to increase the anticipation for the keynotes. Guess not - unless there's nothing very exciting for this year's keynote (and I suspect there will be at least one nice surprise).

X86BSD
Jan 5, 2004, 07:10 AM
I can't wait. Everything has been so hush hush about this one. It's a new year, and big things were already in the works for the new year that we knew, the pepsi deal, AOL, etc..

I have a feeling because info on this years MWSF has been so low key Jobs is going to drop a nuclear bomb or two during the keynote :-) that will "shock and awe" the world. But i'm sure it will more realistic be some major carpet bombing instead and not quite nuclear. But i think hes going to bring out some amazing new stuff. As he mentions Apple is sitting on a TON of NEW and INNOVATED things. I think they are just waiting for the right time to release them. IMO Apple is sitting on a huge vault of goodies.

Mr. Anderson
Jan 5, 2004, 07:12 AM
I'm concerned about Jobs' attitude towards iPod, ITMS and other players.....

The Microsoft of Music Stores? Blah....

Work with people and don't work to box yourself up in a corner. :(

As for the R&D, that's great. Make the iPods better and cheaper.

D

mrpuffypants
Jan 5, 2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson

D

Well it's odd for Apple to say "Nope. We're staying alone on this" and then to do cool stuff like re-release KHTML code back to the open-source community. odd.

Vonnie
Jan 5, 2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by mrpuffypants
do cool stuff like re-release KHTML code back to the open-source community. odd.

Well, in the case of KHTML they didn't have a choice, it's LGPL. So they can keep Safari closed, but the backend "webkit", has to remain open.

But I think it's indeed very weird that they don't cooperate. They said they like standards, because it makes it easier to cooperate. I mean, iPod is cool, but if they have to make every music device themselves so it will be itunes compatible, that's allot of work that could be spent better on osx. (I'm thinking of car-aac-player, integrated hifi stuff, a seperate module for more expensive hifi equipments, settopboxes, ...)

MacsRgr8
Jan 5, 2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by tny

BTW, I've been shocked that there haven't been any web leaks this weekend. After the G5 leak, and the Time iMac leak, and a few other such "slip-ups," I had pretty much decided that they were carefully orchestrated leaks designed to increase the anticipation for the keynotes. Guess not - unless there's nothing very exciting for this year's keynote (and I suspect there will be at least one nice surprise).

At least there is no more "Beyond the Rumor Sites... Way Beyond"
Indeed, nothing is really spicing up this MacWorld.
Some cool rumors though, especially the mini iPods!
Still, I kinda think Steve does have a nice surprize up his sleeve, as it is the Mac's 20th birthday.
Cant' wait!

Mr. Anderson
Jan 5, 2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by MacsRgr8
At least there is no more "Beyond the Rumor Sites... Way Beyond"
Indeed, nothing is really spicing up this MacWorld.

Calm before the storm? It is a different approach then some previous MWSF....

Maybe just understated hype....:D

D

Sunrunner
Jan 5, 2004, 08:30 AM
Good catch by arn, I totally forgot about that interview.... it all begins to fit together.

Steamboatwillie
Jan 5, 2004, 08:44 AM
I for one would love to see iPhoto be rethought and blow my mind! That's one thing I love about Apple software is that it always (usually) has way more than I would have imagined.

Vonnie
Jan 5, 2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by tny

Well, you never know Apple is using the rumor circuit to either hype or completely divert attention from certain things. I can't imagine Apple doesn't know a few sources of ThinkSecret that they can manipulate.

Photorun
Jan 5, 2004, 09:52 AM
It is odd that we haven't heard a rumor site get a friendly greeting from Apple Legal, either this is not going to be all that exciting a MW or Apple this time has done an INCREDIBLE job of keeping all their secrets close to their vest.

jesuscandle
Jan 5, 2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson

D

There are people here who know more about this than I, but I thought that AAC and Fairplay *were* open standards that anyone could easily adopt.

It's not really Apple's fault that, to now, the market has adopted WMA - which I understand to be much more restrictive and obviously proprietary.

Shouldn't we really be asking Dell and Rio why thier iPod knockoffs don't work with ITMS?

Anyone who knows the technical side of this want to chime in?

thanks.

ccuilla
Jan 5, 2004, 10:00 AM
Got some great stuff coming out over the next... uh... timeframes.

Regarding this statement from Jobs. I've read much made of his "stutter"...the "uh"...as if he almost slipped on something. Be careful here. I actually listened to the audio stream for this conference call...it was much less than this...it was just Steve talking. Could have easily be read as:

"We've got some great stuff coming up."

No big news there. Especially given Steve's predilection for hyperbole. I like Steve and all, but if here one more time "this is best thing ever" from him, I'm going to puke.

jettredmont
Jan 5, 2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by jesuscandle
There are people here who know more about this than I, but I thought that AAC and Fairplay *were* open standards that anyone could easily adopt.

AAC is an open standard.

Fairplay is a third-party developed, Apple-controlled mechanism. I haven't heard anything about Apple licensing FairPlay yet.

elo
Jan 5, 2004, 10:24 AM
People always take Steve's "best thing ever" (etc.) comments as marketing spin, but I think they are less cynical than that. I think he genuinely does get excited about Apple's innovations, and this is reflected in his keynote speeches. Also, this is often his only opportunity to recognize the contributions of his employees who are responsible for these products. Since he is known for being quite a demanding CEO, I think he wants to make sure his employees know that their work is appreciated.

That's not to imply that selling the products to the world isn't a major concern during keynote addresses, but I think the enthusiasm is genuine.

elo

dongmin
Jan 5, 2004, 10:36 AM
With Panther and G5 Power Macs in the bank, 2004 will be focussed on the Digital Hub and PowerBooks. Ha Ha, this will be the Year of the Laptop. Last year's was just a decoy...

Dstreelm
Jan 5, 2004, 10:48 AM
i agree with elo...he even uses ichat and the isight to talk to bono and mick, when i see him up there, he looks like a kind in a candy store, he genuinally loves what he's announcing and thinks its gonna be great. and people seeing that ge's genuine sells apples more than anything else

sparks9
Jan 5, 2004, 11:11 AM
Does anyone know how long the keynote speech will last?

JJTiger1
Jan 5, 2004, 11:24 AM
I would like to hear the announcement of an integrated Office app.

A packaged suite to take the place of MS Office.

And be at least as strong as the MS Office suite.

Keynote "on steroids", not just a few different eye-candy transitions not available in PowerPoint.

And a powerful word processor that saves as .doc.

And a spreadsheet with all of the Excel features, and saves as .xls.

And a database program that does Project.

... and it's all integrated into one Suite.
=-=
All of the new laptops and desktop towers are a moot point if they don't do something useful in the real world Office.
=-=
JJ

Flowbee
Jan 5, 2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by JJTiger1
All of the new laptops and desktop towers are a moot point if they don't do something useful in the real world Office.
=-=
JJ

That's why there's MS Office for OS X.

gopher
Jan 5, 2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Flowbee
That's why there's MS Office for OS X.

Office for X lacks a database which is a real weakness. There was talk about a year ago about bringing Visual Basic support to Realbasic, the crossplatform programming language. And what is one of the major componants of Access? Visual Basic! Not to mention there is even a Visual Basic extension in older versions of Microsoft Excel for the Mac. So the question becomes, can Microsoft overcome their pride and finally release Access for the Mac? Or will Apple team with Realbasic and release their own Access compatible version of Filemaker together in an Office suite for the Mac? Only time will tell.

JoeRadar
Jan 5, 2004, 12:03 PM

And be at least as strong as the MS Office suite.
I would like to see a strong replacement to the office applications, but I think Apple will have to go slowly. The Office suite has well over a decade of development and probably billions of dollars pumped into it. Replacing that will not be easy.

With efforts such as KOffice (http://www.koffice.org/), OpenOffice (http://www.openoffice.org/), and StarOffice (http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/) floating around, I would like to see a standard document format not tied to Microsoft's document formats. Maybe something like XMLTeX for word processors.

kenaustus
Jan 5, 2004, 12:43 PM
I doubt if there will be an Apple version of Office since MS is announcing an updated version during the show. Steve has better manners, at least in public.

The keynote is only 2 hours, with - probably 20% going to reviewing product performances. That limits the time available for new announcements - pity.

The interesting thing is the number of potential announcements that we have all thought of. Major software upgrades, a cheap iPod (and a color iPod), the new 90 nm G5 in everything from the PMs to iMacs (plus headless iMacs), new displays and a mystery box. Sad that the keynote isn't 4 hours.

The one thing we know is that it is a great time to be a Mac lover.

pugnus maximus
Jan 5, 2004, 02:16 PM
i remember watching teh keynote last year at work. several friends/coworkers gathered around and were amazed at Jobs' passion and enthusiasm. has anyone seen Gates address the public? Not a pretty sight.

dongmin
Jan 5, 2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by pugnus maximus
i remember watching teh keynote last year at work. several friends/coworkers gathered around and were amazed at Jobs' passion and enthusiasm. has anyone seen Gates address the public? Not a pretty sight. You guys have been soaking in Steve's RDF way too long. Yeah he's a better salesman than Gates, but so what? Steve is preaching to the choir, anyways. He should be directing that great charisma of his at corporate and institutional clients, instead of just rock stars and the Mac faithful.

wdlove
Jan 5, 2004, 03:45 PM
We will never tire of listening to our beloved Steve. It is important for him to talk to the Mac faithful, builds of enthusiasm for products. It is a great time to be in his glory and revel with the Mac successes. Steve can only visit so many executives, so it is to the faithful to encourage others.

JoeRadar
Originally posted by pugnus maximus
has anyone seen Gates address the public?
How about Steve Balmer? I have seen him get so worked up I was afraid he was going to have a heart attack on stage.

I also remember Bill Gates nearly bringing down the house once. Oh wait, that was an earthquake in Seattle during his presentation. Never mind.

Packetloss
Well i don't think Microsoft are lame during presentations.

Have you seen Steve Ballmer?

I love this company (http://www.crackaddict.com/~jonas/dancemonkeyboy.mov)

JoeRadar
Jan 5, 2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by dongmin
You guys have been soaking in Steve's RDF way too long. Yeah he's a better salesman than Gates, but so what?
As long as I/you know its a reality distortion field, I think its fine.

More importantly, I think Steve's enthusiasm has helped get the Mac faithful through very tough times. Remember seeing Michael Spindler or Gil Amelio give a Keynote. Terrible.

By the way, I was in a meeting with some people from National Semiconductor soon after Amelio left there to lead Apple, and they said as soon as he left they removed his book "Profit from Experience" from the company bookstore. Apparently Amelio lived in his own RDF regarding his own greatness.

Squire
Jan 5, 2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by elo
I think he genuinely does get excited about Apple's innovations, and this is reflected in his keynote speeches.

I completely agree. He is in a zone up there. If it's not genuine, then he should be awarded an Oscar for his acting performance.

Originally posted by sparks9
Does anyone know how long the keynote speech will last?

I read somewhere that this one was going to be two and a half. (Can't remember where.)

Squire

dongmin
Jan 5, 2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by sparks9
Does anyone know how long the keynote speech will last? officially, the keynote is scheduled for 9:00 am - 10:30 am. But they tend to start a bit later and run longer. I'd say you're looking at 2 hours...

http://www.macworldexpo.com/macworldexposf/V40/index.cvn?id=10017&p_navID=8

chewbaccapits
Jan 5, 2004, 06:33 PM
I love this time of year....I'm getting "Rumor Horny!"

Dstreelm
Jan 5, 2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits

i love it...consider it stolen haha

GregA
Jan 5, 2004, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by gopher
Office for X lacks a database which is a real weakness. <snip>So the question becomes, can Microsoft overcome their pride and finally release Access for the Mac? Or will Apple team with Realbasic and release their own Access compatible version of Filemaker together in an Office suite for the Mac? Only time will tell. Maybe this thread isn't the place for it - but I wouldn't be surprised if MS sells Office Pro for the Mac, with Access running on Virtual PC.

This could actually work. XP running on a virtual PC works but isn't fast enough - but to REALLY fly they could easily (?) recompile some XP code for the PowerPC chip. They could do the same with Access, and even add an option to their Visual C++ compilers to compile for Mac via VirtualPC" so that other developers could do the same.

On a further note - How much does Dell pay for each copy of XP? There was a rumour that Virtual PC was going to be bundled on every Mac... I can see some good in this:

Good for MS:
1. They have Windows on every computer - Intel or Mac. (I know, there's Linux.. but bear with me).
2. MS says to developers "use our compilers to run on Windows or Mac"
3. They have a single code base for Office on Mac & Windows.
4. Apple getting bigger doesn't bother Microsoft at all.

Good for Apple:
1. Office keeps working for ever.
2. EVERY Windows program works on Mac.
3. Apple sells more computers.

The bad points for MS are that more people may move to Mac - which makes them less dependent on Windows.. sort of!
The bad for Apple is that the look and feel gets hit. Hard. And developers may leave and just use MS. With Apple making more and more of their own applications this may have been inevitable. However, they'd need to have an integrated look for it to truly work.

Flowbee
Jan 5, 2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits

I think that sums things up quite nicely. I guess I'll have to break out a cigarette after the Keynote. Ahh...

rdowns
Jan 5, 2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by JoeRadar
How about Steve Balmer? I have seen him get so worked up I was afraid he was going to have a heart attack on stage.

I was at the Windows 95 launch in NYC where Balmer gave the presentation. His presentation was awesome; I was so pumped to sell Windows 95. Of course, the enthusiasm died as I used it.

wdlove
Jan 5, 2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Flowbee
I think that sums things up quite nicely. I guess I'll have to break out a cigarette after the Keynote. Ahh...

Doesn't such a great Keynote as this Stevenote on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the Mac; worthy of a fine cigar. Who knows it might even call for some champagne. ;)

pugnus maximus
Jan 5, 2004, 10:43 PM
one of the points I was trying to make was that owning a mac is fun. the hardware, software, and even the conferences!
it has been like culture shock for my coworkers/friends to see how enjoyable owning a computer can be.

JJTiger1
Jan 6, 2004, 10:04 AM
Gotta run to the Apple Store and watch what happens.
=-=
JJ

Mac
Jan 8, 2004, 06:23 PM
From MacOSRumors:

"Not impressed by MWSF? Well then you're in luck. The usual whiners and crybabies have come pouring out of the woodwork to decry MWSF 2004 as a "snoozefest" among other colorful adjectives; whether you agree with them or not, Apple has heard them loud and clear. Senior Apple personalities who have been roaming the show floor post-keynote have been overheard pointedly dropping hints of an Apple event later in the month that will update the PowerMac G5 and at least one other Mac along with it -- and the upgrades will be "even more ambitious than what the rumor sites would have you expect"....!"

Check link:http://www.macosrumors.com/

Any idea what they are thinking of? Which rumor site do they have in mind...? What on earth is coming?

gopher
Jan 8, 2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Mac
From MacOSRumors:

"Not impressed by MWSF? Well then you're in luck. The usual whiners and crybabies have come pouring out of the woodwork to decry MWSF 2004 as a "snoozefest" among other colorful adjectives; whether you agree with them or not, Apple has heard them loud and clear. Senior Apple personalities who have been roaming the show floor post-keynote have been overheard pointedly dropping hints of an Apple event later in the month that will update the PowerMac G5 and at least one other Mac along with it -- and the upgrades will be "even more ambitious than what the rumor sites would have you expect"....!"

Check link:http://www.macosrumors.com/

Any idea what they are thinking of? Which rumor site do they have in mind...? What on earth is coming?

Really folks, Garageband is an application some people would pay $700 for Reason to get. Now Apple offers it for $50 including iDVD, iTunes, iPhoto, and iMovie. I think Apple has hit a home run with the Macworld, but some people obviously have bad ears and complain about not getting exactly what they want.

JJTiger1
Jan 9, 2004, 08:09 AM
I would like to hear the announcement of an integrated Office app.

=-=
=-=
JJ

Well I'll be darned: the new Office app is MS Office 2004. :mad:
... probably only works in VPC 7.

AND

a new iLife for when I'm not in the real world.

I will wait until next Friday to verify that iDVD '04 will install on my non-DVD equipped G4-733. Steve said that the new iDVD could build DVD's on a non-DVD equipped Mac. :confused:
=-=
JJ

gopher
Jan 10, 2004, 07:40 AM
Well I'll be darned: the new Office app is MS Office 2004. :mad:
... probably only works in VPC 7.

AND

a new iLife for when I'm not in the real world.

I will wait until next Friday to verify that iDVD '04 will install on my non-DVD equipped G4-733. Steve said that the new iDVD could build DVD's on a non-DVD equipped Mac. :confused:
=-=
JJ
http://www.powerbook1.com/

offers DVD burner upgrades for several Macs.

JJTiger1
Jan 10, 2004, 08:17 AM
http://www.powerbook1.com/

offers DVD burner upgrades for several Macs.

Code: DVDR4XDT-D
Price: $149.00

Decent price for a DVD burner for my QS-733.

Thanks for the info.
... I'm not ready, just yet.
=-=
First: I want to learn the app.
Then: when I master the app, I will buy the burner.

That is the basis of my concern about installing iDVD on a non-DVD equipped Mac.

If I can't learn the app, then there is no sense in throwing $149 at the computer.
=-=
JJ

gopher
Jan 10, 2004, 02:50 PM
The iDVD application is very simple. Apple has a support page on its capabilities:

http://www.info.apple.com/usen/idvd/

TMay
Jan 10, 2004, 04:12 PM
Office for X lacks a database which is a real weakness. There was talk about a year ago about bringing Visual Basic support to Realbasic, the crossplatform programming language. And what is one of the major componants of Access? Visual Basic! Not to mention there is even a Visual Basic extension in older versions of Microsoft Excel for the Mac. So the question becomes, can Microsoft overcome their pride and finally release Access for the Mac? Or will Apple team with Realbasic and release their own Access compatible version of Filemaker together in an Office suite for the Mac? Only time will tell.

This is the first time I've heard anyone in the Mac universe pushing Access. What does Access offer that Filemaker developers won't get with FM 7, 4D or various SQL variants, or even Oracle?

BTW, I understand that Filemaker interfaces seamlessly with Office, and is very popular in the PC market, albeit not on the level of Access. If Microsoft can make an OSX version, with Applescript support, then, there might be takers.

pugnus maximus
Jan 10, 2004, 04:27 PM

First: I want to learn the app.
Then: when I master the app, I will buy the burner.

If I can't learn the app, then there is no sense in throwing $149 at the computer.

iDVD is a breeze...you'll be buying that burner soon!:)

gopher
Jan 11, 2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by TMay
This is the first time I've heard anyone in the Mac universe pushing Access. What does Access offer that Filemaker developers won't get with FM 7, 4D or various SQL variants, or even Oracle?

BTW, I understand that Filemaker interfaces seamlessly with Office, and is very popular in the PC market, albeit not on the level of Access. If Microsoft can make an OSX version, with Applescript support, then, there might be takers.

Granted, but the point is, why pay $180 on top of Office's already exorbitant cost to have a database? On Windows a database is already included at the same cost. Granted Filemaker is a better database than Access, but most Microsoft Access users don't know that. And remember we are talking about making Microsoft Office attractive on the Mac so that more PC users will not hesitate to buy a Mac.

lajocaab
Feb 9, 2004, 09:35 PM
The technology is available to provide consumers with a product like "iSlate". Of course only Apple could really do it right, although several other companies are attempting to create some variation of this device. Unfortunately many are too focused on video playback only, & not creating a true multi-function device that could be used at home, at the office, or on the road. This product would integrate well into the "Digital Lifestyle" philosophy & compliment existing Apple product. It would provide a screen large enough to actually watch video & view photos, while still being small enough to be portable. It needs to be smaller than a notebook computer, but larger than a PDA. Granted, you can not but a device the size of a DVD case in your pocket, but something doesn't have to fit in a pocket to be portable. This device could be used in so many different situations that if would have broad appeal in the market. I only pray that Apple is working on such a device & will release it in 2004. They have an opportunity to impact the industry with the iSlate & iVideo media Store as much as the iPod & iTMS will.

iSlate

New Apple mini-tablet –> PMA (portable media appliance)

Designed not to be a creative device like a desktop or laptop, but rather a sophisticated display device that communicates seamlessly with other devices via Rendezvous & 802.11, BT, FireWire, etc.

Device Size:
8” x 5.0” x .65” (±15oz)
± 1/2 size of a 17” PowerBook
± 2x size of a Palm T3 or an iPod
± size of a DVD movie case
small enough to hold with one hand by the bezel (.5” bezel on the sides)

Screen:
±8” LCD (16:9 ratio) -> 800 x 480 pixels minimum (1024 x 600 ideally)
± 1/2 size of 17” PowerBook screen
± 2x size of a Palm T3 screen
able to display “640 x 480 material” & DVD (720x480) quality video natively

Battery:
6-9 hr. Li-Ion battery (or some new battery technology)

Storage:
1.8” 20GB or 40GB Toshiba hard drive (additional capacity can come from external devices)
128MB or 256MB RAM - fixed
CF slot (w/ adapter for SD, xD, Smart Media, Memory stick)

Processor & OS ?:
Motorola 800 MHz G4 mobile w/ Mac OS X lite or
Intel 400 MHz XScale PXA263 w/ Palm OS 6 or Mac OS Mobile?

Connectivity:
802.11 –> Desktop or Laptop, Stereo, Internet via Wi-Fi hotspots
Bluetooth –> Keyboard, Mouse, PDA, Wireless Headphones, Internet via GSM Phone
FireWire –> iPod, Computer, Hard Drive, DVD/CD writer, Video Camera, iSight
USB 2.0 –> Printer, PDA, Digital Still Camera
mini-DVI w/adapter for:
-> ADC & VGA for larger monitor
-> DVI for video projector or HDTV
-> S-Video for video projector or TV
-> Composite for video projector or TV
Stereo mini out
Stereo mini in
Rendezvous for seamless connectivity to other devices

Input:
Inkwell via touch screen &/or stylus
Keyboard & mouse via Bluetooth or USB
Microphone
Remote control via Bluetooth

Applications:
inkwell, iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, Safari, QuickTime, iSync, Rendezvous
Preview or Acrobat Reader, Mail, iCal, Address Book, Sherlock, iChat AV
Keynote, FileMaker, Quicken,

A/V Formats:
Pixlet, MPEG-4, MPEG-2, MPEG-1, AAC, MP3, WAV, AIFF, Audible, JPEG, TIFF, GIF

Accessories:
Charger, External Battery, Stand, clip for iSight, Portable folding BT keyboard, BT mouse
Headphone w/Microphone boom, quality stereo headphones

Price ??:
$699 to $899

Create a device that is bigger that the largest PDA or Archos type device, yet smaller than the average notebook or tablet computer. Imagine if you will, holding a device (about the size of a DVD case) away from you anywhere from 12" to 18". Obviously a 4" screen would be inadequate, but a 7" to 9" diagonal widescreen would be more than acceptable. It could still be small enough to fit in a stack of books, a briefcase, a large purse, of any number of other carrying cases. It would be something that could be viewed in an office, at home, in a coffee shop, on an airplane or train, or even in the backseat of a car.

The idea is not to see how much visual information one can cram into a small space (3" to 4" screens) or replace existing devices like the TV or Video Projector. The idea is to create a device that is a reasonable compromise between portability & "acceptable or pleasurable" viewing for multiple applications & that also complements existing devices.

Although a 4 lb, 12" notebook computer displays video beautifully (I use one everyday), it is too big for the situations I have described. Beyond the innumerable business applications it could fulfill, it could display video & photos on a screen that is much bigger than an Archos type device or PDA, & yet smaller than a notebook computer. It doesn’t need to carry everything all the time, so it doesn’t require a massive hard drive. The internal HD needs only to be large enough for the OS, applications & enough storage to carry material while you away from any connectivity to other devices or the internet.

From a strictly “video perspective”, a large part of its success would hinge upon Apple's ability to distribute video clips through an online store much like iTMS. This store could provide educational content, business content, news content, & entertainment content beyond just movies. To be truly successful, it must integrate into Apple's "Digital Lifestyle" strategy, & be truly portable (ubiquitous wireless connectivity & good battery life).

djbahdow01
Feb 9, 2004, 10:53 PM
I have one problem with the iSlate, there is no way they would go to intel for the processor. Also why would they want to put a G4 in it, no scalability and why use obsolete technology. Yeah it would probably run better for this application but they should wait till they can get the PB with a G5.