Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
finally - if you look on the xserve page... there's a little peak about xgrid... but the link to that page doesn't work yet :(... the new servers look sweet though -

matt

<edit>

<from apple.com/xserve/cluster>
Xgrid, new software from Apple’s Advanced Computation Group, is one of many solutions for Mac OS X that make managing a supercomputer as easy as Macintosh.

ionas

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
let the duels start :p

the duel 2.0 ghz ;)

hehe - he ll duel all those overpriced shiity x86 servers.

sun - u are gone? ;p (they produce crappy x86 servers afaik)

ionas

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2003
Old Europe
G5 Dual Workstation/Desktop Rev B

we can only hope that the mac rumors buyers guide isnt completely wrong this time and apple releases new versions of the desktop system within feburary and march.

:-<

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
graphics cards?

I always wanted to get a dual G5 xServe for a workstation, but, I'm not certain that there are any good graphics cards that will work with the PCI-X. Anybody have any ideas?

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Re: graphics cards?

Originally posted by TMay
I always wanted to get a dual G5 xServe for a workstation, but, I'm not certain that there are any good graphics cards that will work with the PCI-X. Anybody have any ideas?

The only cards you will find are PCI or AGP and soon PCI-Express.

jbh001

macrumors member
May 14, 2003
Xserve vs. Power Mac Memory Pricing

The price difference between 2GB memory and 8GB memory on the Dual 2GHz Xserve is $1300; on the Dual 2GHz Power Mac it is $3900.

Right Hand, meet Left Hand.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Looks like they deleted a PCI/AGP slot and a drive module, but the addition of ECC memory and the G5s should balance it quite nice.

Interesting to see the trio of SATA drives on the K2 controller this time around (the old ATA drives were PCI-to-ATA bridges), while the dual gig ethernet controllers take residence on the main PCI bus.

Of course this dual ethernet config frees up a PCI slot.

But the XServe now requires a PCI video card...

snahabed

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2002
New York, NY
I was just thinking this.

If Apple has found a way to cool all those 2ghz G5 processors in such a tiny enclosure, then how long can it be before we see G5 iMacs and powerbooks?

I love my G4 Powerbook, but it is awfully tough these days to advise that over a new iBook.

dukemeiser

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2002
Iowa
Correction

Originally posted by Macrumors
The new models are either single or duel 2.0GHz G5s

It should be "dual" (as in two) instead of "duel" (as in a fight). Unless the Xserve is pitting the two processors against each other...

Skull Leader

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Originally posted by snahabed

If Apple has found a way to cool all those 2ghz G5 processors in such a tiny enclosure, then how long can it be before we see G5 iMacs and powerbooks?
Well, did Steve mention if those two new blow-holes shoot fire or not? :cool:

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
I can just hear new PowerBook G5 rumors cropping up now that the G5 has made it into this 1U form factor.

Cooling is still a major issue...until they put some huge vents in PowerBooks to match the Xserve. ;)

szark

macrumors 68030
May 14, 2002
Arid-Zone-A
Yeah, I wouldn't want those 7 FANS in my PowerBook!

Attachments

• xserveg5fans.jpg
    xserveg5fans.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,728

wchamlet

macrumors member
May 9, 2002
The hills...
I wonder if these are as loud as the Hoover serve G4's. :D

Anyway, I'm glad Apple has finally released an update Xserve. Even though our company already has an older model, so we're not in the market for a new one. The XRaid looks cool too. I can imagine as a video editor having that kind of storage... one can dream right?

iPC

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2003
East Windsor, CT
Re: Xserve vs. Power Mac Memory Pricing

Originally posted by jbh001
The price difference between 2GB memory and 8GB memory on the Dual 2GHz Xserve is $1300; on the Dual 2GHz Power Mac it is $3900.

Right Hand, meet Left Hand.
1GB ECC stick (Micron) goes for $212 and up on pricewatch. That is $1696 worth of memory, minimum. Maybe this is the first sign of Apple pulling their collective heads out when talking about RAM pricing....?

Ge4-ce

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Belgium
quote: I would not like those 7 fans in a powerbook..

In fact, the tech. says there are 8 fans (blowers)

The 2 holes in front are NOT blowing fire,.. they are suckholes (pardon for the language) air is going from front to back..

And nobody mentioned something about noise!! I mean.. Servers are often used in a closed envirement where noise isn't often a problem. I predict these machines sound like a boeing.. The fans are only 1 u thick.. The ones in the Powermac G5 are more than double in size!

but still great servers!!

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
not just great servers, awesome ones. And the $3 per GB for the RAID, I've priced servers, as price goes that a jaw dropper! Amazing. Go Apple!

manitoubalck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Originally posted by akac
And remember, its not fans in the XServe but BLOWERS :)

First off well done for getting it into a 1U case.

second: the term 'Blower', usually refers to a super charger on a car. While a hair dryer refers to turbo charging. Take this as you will.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Originally posted by manitoubalck
First off well done for getting it into a 1U case.

second: the term 'Blower', usually refers to a super charger on a car. While a hair dryer refers to turbo charging. Take this as you will.
Silly me, I though blowers were the HVAC air movement equipment.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
So how does the Xserve compare to the dual 2.0 ghz G5 in performance, in terms of gigaflops?

Attachments

• chart_linpack_010604.gif
    chart_linpack_010604.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 970
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.