PDA

View Full Version : 20th Anniversary Mac: 1984 Ad Reposted

MacRumors
Jan 6, 2004, 01:55 PM
Apple has posted the version of the 1984 Advertisement (http://www.apple.com/hardware/ads/1984/1984_480.html) that was shown at the Keynote speech.

'1984' initially premiered at the 1984 Superbowl and marked the introduction of the Macintosh.

This new version has been slightly modified by placing an iPod on the sledgehammer wielding runner.

paulypants
Jan 6, 2004, 01:57 PM
Hopefully the 2004 ad will be better than just a pepsi ad:p

awulf
Jan 6, 2004, 02:01 PM
Excellent, this will replace my lower quality version of this ad.

I try to download every ad from Apple there is.

So far go 700MB worth of ads.

Jackk
Jan 6, 2004, 02:08 PM
"On January 24th, Apple Computer will introduce Macintosh..."

They did add iPod to the ad, but did not change texts, should I now wait for 24th for new Macintosh? ;)

SpY2K
Jan 6, 2004, 02:08 PM
:cool: diggin the iPod add-in... creative on Apple's part

dho
Jan 6, 2004, 02:10 PM
Maybe the 24th is when the new iPods ship. :)

sosumi99
Jan 6, 2004, 02:11 PM
I can't believe Apple did this. The modification to the ad -- adding the iPod -- is in very poor taste.

Why would the runner be listening to an iPod? It doesn't make any sense. What, the iPod is pumping revolutionary slogans into her ears to harden her resolve? It looks ridiculous.

The runner, who used to be a stark, simple figure of vibrant color in a sea of grey lifeless proletariat workers, now looks like a spoiled brat with a $499 device that she could afford to wear like a bit of jewelry. Ugh. It's both funny and sad, in all the wrong ways.

Is the iPod going up against the conformist domination of the market by some "Big Brother"? No, it has the largest market share of MP3 players and it's hardly the image of some kind creative "rebel".

Tis ad has been turned into a parody by Apple of itself.

geerlingguy
Jan 6, 2004, 02:11 PM
Comparing with my cruddy 180x120 copy, it looks like they even changed the woman... could just be bad quality copy, but the woman in the 640x480 ad on Apple's site looks a little younger and more wasted...:confused:

macMaestro
Jan 6, 2004, 02:13 PM
I'm sorry. That's stupid.

JohnGillilan
Jan 6, 2004, 02:16 PM
Did they re-shoot the scenes with the lady, or did they add the iPod on FCP??? It looks too perfect to be added to me.

geerlingguy
Jan 6, 2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by JohnGillilan
Did they re-shoot the scenes with the lady, or did they add the iPod on FCP??? It looks too perfect to be added to me.

If you go to the part where she's running early on (about 10 seconds in), it seems that the woman in the new one has more eye shadow than the woman in the old one.

But it could just be a problem with the version I have of the old one... it is small and VERY degraded.

macMaestro
Jan 6, 2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by JohnGillilan

Uhh, no. Computer effects, possibly done in shake. Probably actually.

This reminds me of the new E.T.'s gun-to-walkietalkie change. Luckily I got the collector's edition for X-mas 2002 which included the original release without all the changes.

Ling
Jan 6, 2004, 02:22 PM
I think the iPod was digitally added, and if that's true, that's amazing.

The sight of it was funny at first...but, the more and more I think about it, the less and less I like it.

Either way, it's nice to have a large version of it. I think we probably all had the same crappy small version of it :-)

macMaestro
Jan 6, 2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Ling
I think the iPod was digitally added, and if that's true, that's amazing.

Not really. They do things like that all the time.

reyesmac
Jan 6, 2004, 02:43 PM
Its a waste to show this ad and make a big deal out of it and the only piece of hardware they had to show was an iPod. Now I bet they are going to wait till the end of the year to come out with a 20th anniversary mac, if they have one at all. I would not be surprised if they don't. And if they do, I would not be at all surprised if it was not worth the price it is sold for, mostly because it would be made from at the very least one year old technology. Maybe I am just griping because I expected more. Getting my hopes up for an Apple event is not fun anymore, they usually announce the cool stuff when everyone is tired of looking.

g4pismo
Jan 6, 2004, 02:45 PM
so, now that we have a better ver. of the 84 movie, we should remove the added ipod :-)

woodgie
Jan 6, 2004, 02:46 PM
Took me a second to notice the iPod, but I did. Nice idea I think, a small change, a little nod and a wink. I don't have an origonal to compare it to, but I'll look more to see if it's digitally added and chuck my tupp'orth into the pot later. On first look though, if it is digitally added... damn it's good!

blueBomber
Jan 6, 2004, 02:47 PM
The ipod has been added, not re-shot with a look alike actress. Also the Apple at the end of the ad has some new Photoshop-esque bevel on the edge that wasn't in the original.

numediaman
Jan 6, 2004, 02:52 PM
I find it highly ironic that they have dusted off the ol'1984 ad. Here was an ad the announced a revolution in computing.

After replaying the ad during the Keynote, I sure a lot of people were anticipating a major announcement. But nothing -- just some updates (but none on hardware or displays).

Next year we get Bon Jovi?

swissmann
Jan 6, 2004, 02:54 PM
Lots of hype about the 20th anniversary and really nothing to show for it. All we got was a promise from Steve that great things were to come. I hope they are better than a crummy 84 poster.

iPC
Jan 6, 2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by sosumi99
I can't believe Apple did this. The modification to the ad -- adding the iPod -- is in very poor taste.

Why would the runner be listening to an iPod? It doesn't make any sense. What, the iPod is pumping revolutionary slogans into her ears to harden her resolve? It looks ridiculous.

The runner, who used to be a stark, simple figure of vibrant color in a sea of grey lifeless proletariat workers, now looks like a spoiled brat with a $499 device that she could afford to wear like a bit of jewelry. Ugh. It's both funny and sad, in all the wrong ways.

Is the iPod going up against the conformist domination of the market by some "Big Brother"? No, it has the largest market share of MP3 players and it's hardly the image of some kind creative "rebel".

I agree 100% with you. Very bad taste, and against the vision of the original advert. Just a way to divert the attention from the lack of new hardware that most users buy being introduced. No G5 upgrade for the PowerMac, no iMac upgrade, no headless Mac, no new displays, etc. Rather boring really. Glad I did not bother to follow it up close today.

chadly411
Jan 6, 2004, 02:57 PM
The chick is wearing a "Hooters" uniform!

I applaud Apple for reposting the ad. It is not often that someone makes a commercial that has had such a lasting effect.

jero
Jan 6, 2004, 02:59 PM
yeah i noticed it when she was swinging the hammer or whatever that was.

autrefois
Jan 6, 2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by g4pismo
so, now that we have a better ver. of the 84 movie, we should remove the added ipod :-)

Maybe that was the whole idea--buy Apple's new software so you can remove the iPod! :)

I agree that adding in the iPod was a poor move. It's clever, but many people (including people who give out awards apparently) consider that ad like a work of art. It makes no sense in the commercial either, as has already been pointed out. It goes from being a sociopolitical/philosophical statement on the part of Apple to a cheap ad.

They should offer online both the real version and the new doctored version IMHO.

ibryan
Jan 6, 2004, 03:09 PM
Could it be that this Keynote was not that great because there is going to be a commercial for the Super Bowl with something new in it?

Maybe Steve didn't want to get into "premature specification" like with the G5's.

Just a thought.

Ling
Jan 6, 2004, 03:13 PM
Just for comparison's sake.

http://www.duke.edu/~tlove/runner1.jpg

vs.

http://members.aol.com/mrbseball8/new.jpg

The good quality is nice... I just wish the iPod wasn't there...

sw1tcher
Jan 6, 2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by awulf

How are you downloading the ad? I tried, but can't seem to figure it out. Can you post a link or something, please? :D

Gizmotoy
Jan 6, 2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by awulf

I've tried doing this in the past and have had absolutely zero luck in figuring out how. Is there something I'm missing? How do you do it? Granted, I'm well aware I probably look stupid for asking...

edit: And now I look even stupider for getting beaten to it by 2 minutes. Just great. :) /edit

sw1tcher
Jan 6, 2004, 03:31 PM
edit: And now I look even stupider for getting beaten to it by 2 minutes. Just great. :) /edit

Sorry.

MongoTheGeek
Jan 6, 2004, 03:31 PM
they also changed her shirt. It used to be plain white now it has a logo on it.

Ransath
Jan 6, 2004, 03:33 PM
I think the addition of the iPod is great and makes an excellent point - that Apple changed the world AGAIN with the introduction of the iPod. All of you dolts that are saying "bad move to put the iPod in" are missing the broader message of the video. Also, it is THEIR video and if they want to change it they can. They don't don't need you idiots approval.

It will never cease to amaze me how sanctimonious and arrogant some Mac users are. You pass judgement and say stupid things like "After replaying the ad during the Keynote, I sure a lot of people were anticipating a major announcement. But nothing -- just some updates (but none on hardware or displays)." Just some updates? PLEASE!!!! Garageband for ALOT of people is going to be amazing (no, not for you serious musicians that are already complaining about lack of full midi support) and for $49 for the ENTIRE iLife suite - OMFG!!! WHAT A DEAL!!

But, no, you say - "we deserve this and that, and Apple falters here and there". Please - if you are so damned intelligent and know SO much about computing then why don't you start your own company? Or create your own killer software? That's what I thought - bunch off mouths running with nothing to back it up!.

I, for one, am grateful that there is a company like Mac that makes the types of hardware/software that they do. There isn't anyone else in the industry that comes close to Macintosh and you ungrateful louts should realize this.

mcwacko1213
Jan 6, 2004, 03:35 PM
i dont know where to start, that ad is the worst ad i have ever seen, i am not joking.

they had a GREAT thing only showing the 1984 ad once and only once. it has lost value to me.

i am it total shock that they would add something like a bad looking digital ipod. apple is know for their amazing advertisiments and just adding somethng to an old 1 seems like a way to get out of making a new ad.

apple just killed a great commercial

edit: this post is talking about the ad, and only the ad.

iomar
Jan 6, 2004, 03:38 PM
I am kind of dispointed of the new annoucements. I was hoping for more fromt his macworld expo.

Winston Smith
Jan 6, 2004, 03:44 PM
Option click (right click) to download the ad. (But you need quick time pro):rolleyes:

The logo on the T shirt is the iPodhacks website logo - so they'll be pretty happy over there at least:p

blueBomber
Jan 6, 2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by MongoTheGeek
they also changed her shirt. It used to be plain white now it has a logo on it. no, her shirt always had the "Picasso" Mac on it.

Ling
Jan 6, 2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Winston Smith
The logo on the T shirt is the iPodhacks website logo - so they'll be pretty happy over there at least:p

Are you sure? The old picture in the comparison I posted has faint lines that match up to the shirt in the new one. It's there...you just have to look closely

...just stare at her chest...you know you want to ;-)

blueBomber
Jan 6, 2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Winston Smith
Doesn't anyone remember the start-up screen for System 7? The original Mac drawing? This image has been used forever. Even the Apple2GS used this logo when starting it's os.

Photorun
Jan 6, 2004, 03:51 PM
Guns to walkie talkies in ET was SO LAME!!!

Anyhoo, Apple should air this during the Superbowl but add Bill Gate's head on the screen, hey, if they can add an iPod, they can can change the screen. That'd be scary.

johnnowak
Jan 6, 2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Ransath
I think the addition of the iPod is great and makes an excellent point - that Apple changed the world AGAIN with the introduction of the iPod. All of you dolts that are saying "bad move to put the iPod in" are missing the broader message of the video.

Amen. More proof the average IQ of the Mac user dropped since the iMac introduction. It's just an ad. It's not sacred. You all need to open your minds a bit... and get laid. This is pathetic.

blueBomber
Jan 6, 2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by johnnowak
Amen. More proof the average IQ of the Mac user dropped since the iMac introduction. It's just an ad. It's not sacred. You all need to open your minds a bit... and get laid. This is pathetic. I agree with you on this, but don't you think that last line was a bit much?

awulf
Jan 6, 2004, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by Gimzotoy
I've tried doing this in the past and have had absolutely zero luck in figuring out how. Is there something I'm missing? How do you do it? Granted, I'm well aware I probably look stupid for asking...

Once the movie is loaded, you click on the little triangle on the right of the play bar and then select 'Save as QuickTime Movie'.

The original 1984 Commercial that I have is somewhat better quality than Ling's version.

Supa_Fly
Jan 6, 2004, 03:58 PM
say awulf, is it at all possible that you could forward me a quicktime file of the 1984 film (the one re-released) in Large format PLEASE!!

Personally I think this is the EXACT kind of brand -name marketing Apple should use. As thus far the brand is better shining in the eyes of the Educational and Consumer, even now the corporate business markets!!!

However, their marketing of iLife 04 with the moniker " This is the Microsoft Office for the rest of your life" was complete stupidity, as it continues to ingrain, M$ Office as necessary into their customers minds; shooting themselves in the foot when they do a major overhaul of AppleWorks. They should've capitalized on Corporations looking for other alternatives to M$ Office 2003 as its way to expensive and doesn't offer much (On the Windows platform) innovation or greater features than whats already available in Office XP.

COmmon Apple this is YOUR year not M$; especially since Mr. Jobs announces that M$ is copying them AGAIN in the keynote!!

MongoTheGeek
Jan 6, 2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Ling
Are you sure? The old picture in the comparison I posted has faint lines that match up to the shirt in the new one. It's there...you just have to look closely

...just stare at her chest...you know you want to ;-)

Yeah... I'll take your word for it...

I don't want to get in trouble with the wife. ;)

holmesf
Jan 6, 2004, 04:00 PM
They went and added an iPod without any mention.

Dare I say "How Orwellian?"

jxyama
Jan 6, 2004, 04:01 PM
I think the addition of the iPod is great and makes an excellent point - that Apple changed the world AGAIN with the introduction of the iPod. All of you dolts that are saying "bad move to put the iPod in" are missing the broader message of the video. Also, it is THEIR video and if they want to change it they can. They don't don't need you idiots approval.

It will never cease to amaze me how sanctimonious and arrogant some Mac users are. You pass judgement and say stupid things like "After replaying the ad during the Keynote, I sure a lot of people were anticipating a major announcement. But nothing -- just some updates (but none on hardware or displays)." Just some updates? PLEASE!!!! Garageband for ALOT of people is going to be amazing (no, not for you serious musicians that are already complaining about lack of full midi support) and for $49 for the ENTIRE iLife suite - OMFG!!! WHAT A DEAL!!

But, no, you arrogant jerkoffs say - "we deserve this and that, and Apple falters here and there". Please - if you are so damned intelligent and know SO much about computing then why don't you start your own company? Or create your own killer software? That's what I thought - bunch off mouths running with nothing to back it up!.

I, for one, am grateful that there is a company like Mac that makes the types of hardware/software that they do. There isn't anyone else in the industry that comes close to Macintosh and you ungrateful louts should realize this and, therfore, **** and quit you whining.

i, for one, find it equally offensive of you to label others as "arrogant jerkoffs."

you can share differing opinions without offending others.

stoid
Jan 6, 2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by mcwacko1213
i dont know where to start, that ad is the worst ad i have ever seen, i am not joking.

they had a GREAT thing only showing the 1984 ad once and only once. it has lost value to me.

i am it total shock that they would add something like a bad looking digital ipod. apple is know for their amazing advertisiments and just adding somethng to an old 1 seems like a way to get out of making a new ad.

apple just killed a great commercial

edit: this post is talking about the ad, and only the ad.

Now I am the one that doesn't know where to start!

That ad has been and always will be the best, or at least one of the best advertisements ever.

bad looking digital iPod??!?
The iPod is as revolutionary as the original product the ad announced and only strengthens the idea presented in the ad. The iPod is real and looks more than insanely real when put into the ad. If you could do even a shadow as good as digitally adding a real iPod into a 20 year old commercial, I would REALLY like to see that! I don't think that Apple really intends to broadcast this ad, and it is simply breathing new life into an ad that so many Apple fans love. I have full faith that Apple will be airing an ad so awesome and groundbreaking this SuperBowl that all you who are bashing this remake get a fat mouth full of your own damn foot!

BTW: Welcome to the boards mr wacko!

eric_n_dfw
Jan 6, 2004, 04:04 PM
Jeez people - even the guy who wrote the original ad was there, and he was grinning from ear to ear. Get a grip, it's a freeking commercial, not the Dead Sea scrolls or something!

... oh wait, I forgot, Macintosh is a religious cult. :rolleyes:

stoid
Jan 6, 2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by holmesf

Well, you see, according to the principles of INGSOC, the iPod has always been in the commercial since 1984. It was Steve Jobs prediction of the future that has now come true. And obviously anyone who thinks that the iPod was added rather than having always been there is a lunatic creating a delusion within their own mind!

doublethink!

jxyama
Jan 6, 2004, 04:09 PM
i *think* the updated movie's date on the screen has also been updated...

i think the new one says 1/26/2004. anyone know if the old one said 1984?

blueBomber
Jan 6, 2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by stoid
Well, you see, according to the principles of INGSOC, the iPod has always been in the commercial since 1984. It was Steve Jobs prediction of the future that has now come true. And obviously anyone who thinks that the iPod was added rather than having always been there is a lunatic creating a delusion within their own mind!

doublethink!

so his "Reality Distortion Field" now extends to history altering. neat:D Now Steve can talk me out of all of my money in the past, present and future.

AndrewMT
Jan 6, 2004, 04:17 PM
I for one always thought the big breasted heroine in her tight shirt and short shorts (and yes, she does look like a hooters waitress) in this commercial was a big mistake. I wish the ad creators had spent more time (using their brains, not their...well, you know) creating a character that does not look like she should be serving hot wings.

eric_n_dfw
Jan 6, 2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by jxyama

i think the new one says 1/26/2004. anyone know if the old one said 1984? I think that's just a blurry "8" - it's too different from the "0" on the next line.

Iroganai
Jan 6, 2004, 04:22 PM

doublethink!

But I think you know too well the principles of INGSOC. See you later in the Ministry of Love. ;)

jxyama
Jan 6, 2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
I think that's just a blurry "8" - it's too different from the "0" on the next line.

yeah, you are probably right. didn't think to compare to the "0" on the next line.

it would have been an amazing attention to details if they had gone *that* far!

jazman
Jan 6, 2004, 04:26 PM
These are some of the most ridiculous comments ever. You people act as though they made changes to the original film. You don't have to download it you know. You don't even have to watch it.

I think the iPod makes perfect sense. The other people are conditioned, brainwashed. The runner is tuning out Big Brother as she pursues her mission. I always see athletes (boxers, track and ball players) listening to headphones before a big event. Trying to maintain their focus.

As a graphic artist, I'm more impressed with the compositing job. It will probably be the talk of the shake forums.

jimbo2
Jan 6, 2004, 04:27 PM

i think the new one says 1/26/2004. anyone know if the old one said 1984?

I've looked through my old version of 1984, and the date there is 1/26/84, the new one is 1/26/04 (not 2004, two digit dates). Of course, the original 'could' have been 04, it's a bit grainy, but of course '84 makes more sense for the original.

Sounds to me like something is brewing for 1/26/04... Stay tuned!

Oh, and it is the same girl, outfit, etc. Color balance was changed slightly, shorts were more red before, now more orange (does look like Hooter's shorts now, heh heh), shirt design is the same. Only other difference I could spot was the throw seemed to go a frame or three longer, probably to show off the iPod a bit more. ;)

The beveling on the logo at the end seems to be in the original, color saturation was changed a bit, but seems to be about the same.

Despite the iPod, it's nice having a cleaner version of this classic.

jxyama
Jan 6, 2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by jazman
These are some of the most ridiculous comments ever. You people act as though they made changes to the original film. You don't have to download it you know. You don't even have to watch it.

i know some comments may sound like complaints, but it's just a discussion. the whole point of a place like this is to share opinions and ideas. no, we don't have to watch it, but no, we don't have to not discuss about it either. :rolleyes:

VicMacs
Jan 6, 2004, 04:36 PM
from there on it was all downhill

jazman
Jan 6, 2004, 04:38 PM
I wish the ad creators had spent more time (using their brains, not their...well, you know) creating a character that does not look like she should be serving hot wings.

According to their site, the first Hooters was opened in FL at the end of 1983. This spot was filmed in 1983 in CA and ran in 1984. She's wearing what athletes wear.

big
Jan 6, 2004, 04:40 PM
how bazaar is this? I downloaded the file, and went to play it from my desktop, it then sent me to quicktimes web site, saying I had to have quicktime 5.0.2 or higher..... How bazaar

jazman
Jan 6, 2004, 04:43 PM
no, we don't have to watch it, but no, we don't have to not discuss about it either.

I didn't say you shouldn't discuss it. I said they were ridiculous.

avus
Jan 6, 2004, 05:05 PM
You know, this is just an ad, not a masterpiece. As the copyright holder, Apple can do whatever they want to it.

jxyama
Jan 6, 2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by avus
You know, this is just an ad, not a masterpiece. As the copyright holder, Apple can do whatever they want to it.

i still don't understand why some people can't seem to, dunno, just discuss... yeah, apple's got copyright, blah, blah. it's not like others are complaining to have apple change it. they are just commenting on how they don't like (or like) the changes made.

is it just as "ridiculous" to discuss a movie or a tv show because you don't have control over them? most of likes to discuss about many, many things we have absolutely no control over...

you can present your own differing opinion... that doesn't mean you have to label other's comments as "ridiculous." or take a weird "above all this fluff" attitude and spoil the discussions...

if you think getting a little hotheaded about discussion or having a discussion about not much of anything is stupid, ridiculous or pointless, then hmm, why post to begin with?

rainman::|:|
Jan 6, 2004, 05:17 PM
i know it's been said. but damn, why did they do this. reminds me of that southpark episode where the kids were trying to save movies from their director's CGI-enhanced hands...

paul

Spagolli94
Jan 6, 2004, 05:20 PM
Adding the iPod was cheesy at best. That WAS one of the greatest ads ever. Adding cheesy afterthought to it does noting but degrade it.

I agree, the iPod is a revolutionary product... Why not try to make a brand new, revolutionary ad?

All in all, seems to me they were just trying to fill space today, because they didn't have much new hardware to introduce.

peharri
Jan 6, 2004, 05:43 PM
It's probably just my memory playing tricks on me, but wasn't there an explicit reference to IBM in the original? An IBM logo on the telescreen or something?

Edit: Thanks Ling, I guess my memory is faulty. Bizarre the way the mind works...

Ling
Jan 6, 2004, 05:43 PM
Okay, people looking for the original...I turned this up in a Google search :-D

http://www.uriah.com/apple-qt/1984.html

Happy viewing!

jdang
Jan 6, 2004, 05:49 PM
whine whine whine. thats all you people do......you guys need to stop complaining about everything. you complain about wintel, you complain about wintel people bashing macs, you complaing about apple not coming out with everything that everyone hoped for. chill out. you sound like lunatics who have no lives other than watching macworld expo every day.

sosumi99
Jan 6, 2004, 05:50 PM
All of you dolts that are saying "bad move to put the iPod in" are missing the broader message of the video. Also, it is THEIR video and if they want to change it they can. They don't don't need you idiots approval.

It will never cease to amaze me how sanctimonious and arrogant some Mac users are. You pass judgement ... There isn't anyone else in the industry that comes close to Macintosh and you ungrateful louts should realize this.

None of the people who are complaining have been calling you "idiot" or "ungrateful lout" -- and you dare to call us "sanctimonious" and "arrogant"??? Who's the one passing judgment on people they've never even met?

Did you read the forum rules about civil discussion?

sosumi99
Jan 6, 2004, 05:54 PM

I didn't say you shouldn't discuss it. I said they were ridiculous.

Tell you what, since the discussion is so "ridiculous," why don't you not read it? You can go enjoy your new Apple ad instead of calling us names, and we can go on to criticize it. We'll both be happy.

sosumi99
Jan 6, 2004, 05:57 PM
Amen. More proof the average IQ of the Mac user dropped since the iMac introduction. It's just an ad. It's not sacred. You all need to open your minds a bit... and get laid. This is pathetic.

LOL, calling other Mac users names is a great way to prove your point. You are doing a great job at raising the level of discussion here.

ITR 81
Jan 6, 2004, 05:58 PM
Since SJ showed a new iPod ad I wonder what will the Apple Super Bowl commerical show? I'm figuring that the new iPod mini will be shown with the new Pepsi Super Bowl commerical..

jazman
Jan 6, 2004, 06:02 PM
Tell you what, since the discussion is so "ridiculous," why don't you not read it? You can go enjoy your new Apple ad instead of calling us names, and we can go on to criticize it. We'll both be happy.

I didn't call anyone names. I just stated my opinion that some of the comments were ridiculous. But speaking of names, there is a name for people who can't take a difference of opinion. Now what is it...? Oh yeah! Nevermind

LimeiBook86
Jan 6, 2004, 06:09 PM

Yes, I'll take one of each... ;)

I liked the ad, now I want a desktop and a poster. :D

wdlove
Jan 6, 2004, 06:21 PM
I was very impressed by the updated commercial. When SJ showed it during the Keynote, I noticed the lady was wearing the iPod. I thought that it was nifty. No complaints from me at all. Go Steve Go!

amin
Jan 6, 2004, 06:33 PM
Remember that the iPod isn't just for music. Who can tell what revolutionary information she may be safely storing in her iPod.

sosumi99
Jan 6, 2004, 06:40 PM

I didn't call anyone names. I just stated my opinion that some of the comments were ridiculous. But speaking of names, there is a name for people who can't take a difference of opinion. Now what is it...? Oh yeah! Nevermind

Oops. You are right. You were just commenting on the comments. I got your post mixed up with the "you ungrateful louts" one. Sorry about that.

Now we can both be happy in this discussion:)

I will offer my point: I think the criticism of the people who are criticizing the commercial are pretty ridiculous too :)

wdlove
Jan 6, 2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by amin
Remember that the iPod isn't just for music. Who can tell what revolutionary information she may be safely storing in her iPod.

My big wish for the iPod is that it will have the functionality of the Palm. I'm sure that it will work much more seemlessly with the Mac than the Palm. The need that my wife has is for it to store and download updated medical data. Like drugs and diseases.

juancarloz
Jan 6, 2004, 07:02 PM
I like the ad you guys take this commercial too serious.

It is clear that it is the same female and that a digital iPod was added.

I want to know how it was done

17" Mac Daddy
Jan 6, 2004, 07:09 PM
January 24th is the anniversary, not today January 6th. That is when they'll hit us with something impressive, think about it, the commercial still says "January 24th". They can ad an iPod and amke it look pretty close to legit but they can't take out a title? No no no... I think it was left that way on purpose, but we'll see on the 24th...

Phil Of Mac
Jan 6, 2004, 07:12 PM
The original definitely says 1/26/84. The new definitely says 1/26/04. Also, the woman pauses for longer after releasing the hammer in the "new" version.

brywalker
Jan 6, 2004, 07:40 PM
I have to laugh at the bitter irony.

"Big Brother" in that commercial was supposed to represent IBM. Now who is the primary manufacturer and supplier of the chips that run current macintosh systems? IBM.

Also, I find it humorous that someone mentioned that they should have replaced the head with Bill Gates. I dread to think where Apple would be without the financial support they got from such a terrible man....

electric606
Jan 6, 2004, 08:21 PM
-sorry, don't want to violate my nda-

Pipian
Jan 6, 2004, 08:46 PM
Can You tell me is it says 1-26-84 or 1-26-04?

~Shard~
Jan 6, 2004, 08:51 PM
If it ain't broke...

The original ad was classic, and as we all know, regarded as one of the best ads ever. So if you're going to mess with it, do a good job of it. Unfortunately, I don't think Apple did a good job with this remake - the iPod inclusion is pretty cheesy, and cheapens the video in my mind. Ah well, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things I guess!

avus
Jan 6, 2004, 08:51 PM
i still don't understand why some people can't seem to, dunno, just discuss... yeah, apple's got copyright, blah, blah. it's not like others are complaining to have apple change it. they are just commenting on how they don't like (or like) the changes made.

is it just as "ridiculous" to discuss a movie or a tv show because you don't have control over them? most of likes to discuss about many, many things we have absolutely no control over...

you can present your own differing opinion... that doesn't mean you have to label other's comments as "ridiculous." or take a weird "above all this fluff" attitude and spoil the discussions...

if you think getting a little hotheaded about discussion or having a discussion about not much of anything is stupid, ridiculous or pointless, then hmm, why post to begin with?

You totally misunderstood me.

Where in my post did I state that you can't discuss it? I just stated my OPINION that this is just an ad with corporate messages, and there is nothing sacred about it, artistically, no matter how masterful the production was.

Maybe you really are hotheaded.

rainman::|:|
Jan 6, 2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by avus
You totally misunderstood me.

Where in my post did I state that you can't discuss it? I just stated my OPINION that this is just an ad with corporate messages, and there is nothing sacred about it, artistically, no matter how masterful the production was.

Maybe you really are hotheaded.

Keep in mind tho, the 1984 commercial was not just important for the Mac devotees, it's important in that it kicked off the Great Superbowl Ad Fest, something we enjoy to this day... So it seems a lot like Apple is tampering with an important piece of history (it's important to us, OK?) just to show off their flashy new toy.

Now, there's no need for namecalling on either side. You can object, or disagree with the objection, without resorting to verbal punches.

paul

chewbaccapits
Jan 6, 2004, 09:56 PM
How have you downloaded it? I tried with quicktime 6.5 but to no avail....

autrefois
Jan 6, 2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by chewbaccapits
How have you downloaded it? I tried with quicktime 6.5 but to no avail....

Do you have QuickTime Pro (the paid version)? If not, you can't download things from the web unfortunately. If you do have it, click on the triangle on the far right of the controls under the video.

neoelectronaut
Jan 6, 2004, 10:32 PM
So how can I download the sucker?

krafix
Jan 6, 2004, 10:46 PM
Me too, very sad they even touched it. But the worst is they did it with an iPod. Anything but that. Yes, it's the hype of the moment, but that's the whole point: it could very well turn out to be just the flavor of the year. Apple is very good at letting others become flavor of the century instead. The internet bubble exploded in everyone's face in 99. The online music crazyness is the next bubble around, ready to pop dead. An ad such as 1984 should stay a classic and regarded as such with consideration. Not make it funny with the flavor of the month that might go away. They're making fun of their own classics. Sad.

Ted Witcher
Jan 6, 2004, 10:54 PM
I agree some folks here are viewing this spot with too much reverence, though it was an ad classic (for what that's worth) in its original form.

That said, I view the iPod addition two ways: one, it's a good joke. Two, it's entirely consistent with the idea of the ad for her to sport a revolutionary device, not yet released in 1984, which is the harbinger of a New Paradigm. Even the fact that our guerrilla insurrectionist is a woman at all (albeit a blonde in tight shorts with her breasts heaving to and fro -- hey, this is still America) was a fairly progressive statement in its own right twenty years ago.

I wonder what Ridley thinks of the iPod. Scratch that -- actually, I don't care.

chewbaccapits
Jan 6, 2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by autrefois
Do you have QuickTime Pro (the paid version)

Thanks brah...

soakwashrinse
Jan 6, 2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
The original definitely says 1/26/84. The new definitely says 1/26/04. Also, the woman pauses for longer after releasing the hammer in the "new" version.

No way. The new version, quite clearly by my eyes, still says 1/26/84. Look again. If you're still not convinced - compare the '8' (that is, what you think is a '0') with the '0' on the next line.

Kingsnapped
Jan 6, 2004, 11:57 PM
Having never seen the superbowl version (being born 1 year and 11 months later), I came into this ad after viewing only the first page of comments. I think that the iPod is not cheesy at all. The ad could have done without it, but it doesn't look like some bad cg effect. I wasn't even sure it was cg until after electric606's comment. It's a fine ad, and I don't think Apple perminately 'killed it' by distributing it with a new logo and a cg iPod. I'm sure apple didn't "tape over" the first print, and that lady's unobstructed hooters shorts will live on somewhere. Be glad that you can relive the thrill of seeing that ad. That must have been something.

Phil Of Mac
Jan 7, 2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by soakwashrinse
No way. The new version, quite clearly by my eyes, still says 1/26/84. Look again. If you're still not convinced - compare the '8' (that is, what you think is a '0') with the '0' on the next line.

Yeah, it's still an eight. But it does pause for longer on Anya Major after she throws the hammer!

EDIT: That is definitely slow-motion work. There's less time spent on the hammer and more time on the woman. Also, you see a lot of evidence of slow motion--the stormtroopers behind her slow down in this version, but not the original, you can see her hair (and admittedly her breasts) act as if they are in slow motion, bouncing up with the throw but not falling back down into place--clear indications of slow motion.

arogge
Jan 7, 2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by big
I downloaded the file, and went to play it from my desktop, it then sent me to quicktimes web site, saying I had to have quicktime 5.0.2 or higher..... How bazaar

How did you download it? I've tried using the QuickTime plugin for Mozilla and all I get is a 4 KB file instead of the movie.

humangod
Jan 7, 2004, 01:05 AM

"Is the iPod going up against the conformist domination of the market by some "Big Brother"?"

well, itunes and the ipod are kinda hand in hand in apple's eyes. the itunes music store is going up against big brother: the RIAA. the riaa have fought legal online downloading sicne its conception. itunes is the first one to change the way we obtain our music. it is changing the music industry.

i think apple did a good job of adding the ipod.

yamabushi
Jan 7, 2004, 02:06 AM
I think the major point of the modified ad is that there is something special coming from Apple at the end of the month. I would guess major updates to the PowerMac, updates of other Macs, and possibly a limited edition Mac or a new Mac form factor.

Sir_Giggles
Jan 7, 2004, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Pipian
Can You tell me is it says 1-26-84 or 1-26-04?

Holy ****!

I was advancing through it frame by frame and I swear the numbers are dissolving back and forth between an 8 and a zero. I bet my left nut that the numbers were slightly altered, considering they did such a great CG job with the iPod.

Scottgfx
Jan 7, 2004, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by electric606
...the original print was lost, and we had to work with a copy of the final assembly, you could see all the splices and tape, dust and hair everywhere, it had just been sitting rotting in a vault for 20 years.

The copy I had came from a 16mm print that my brother got while working at a TV station in 84-85. It was a reel of Addy winners... I wonder if I still have that tape ?

I'm assuming that the iPod was 3D. Do you know what 3D app was used? How was the tracking done? Keyframing by hand, or was some 3D tracker, like Boujou used?

I trying to think of who has a proprietary compositing app... Hmmm. Rhythm & Hues?

NoVi
Jan 7, 2004, 03:14 AM

Yes, exactly the same thoughts over here. OK, so they have developed the 21st century Walkman...

but should that be a reason to mess with the ad?

maxterpiece
Jan 7, 2004, 03:56 AM
I've watched the new version of the ad like 10 times and i don't see what you all are talking about with the 04/84 distinction... where is the date even formatted with slashes??

Sir_Giggles
Jan 7, 2004, 04:22 AM
I am reasonable sure the date was digitally altered in way that it flickers back and forth between a zero and a 8.

http://home.ripway.com/2004-1/53714/04.jpg

soakwashrinse
Jan 7, 2004, 04:55 AM
Interesting Sir_Giggles... although I'm still not convinced. :)

The '0/8' in the first picture still looks like an '8' to me - there appears to be (by my eyes) the slight hint of two cusps roughly in the middle of the figure, and the cusps seem to connect to form an '8'. Also, the '0' below seems to be rounder.

macMaestro
Jan 7, 2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by juancarloz
I like the ad you guys take this commercial too serious.

It is clear that it is the same female and that a digital iPod was added.

I want to know how it was done

An Apple Product - Shake (http://www.apple.com/shake/)

It could have been something else, but since Shake's the market leader, and an Apple Product, that would seem to be the most likely guess.

the_mole1314
Jan 7, 2004, 07:57 AM
You know, I don't know what to think of the new commercial. It's cool it's back, but it sucks that they added an iPod. It just seems *wierd*.....

jazman
Jan 7, 2004, 08:28 AM
Do you have QuickTime Pro (the paid version)? If not, you can't download things from the web unfortunately. If you do have it, click on the triangle on the far right of the controls under the video.

You don't need QTPro to download any movie on the web. You just need to know where to find it and that info can be obtained in the source code. You can grab it here:

1984.mov (http://a772.g.akamai.net/5/772/51/ac1909459af4ed/1a1a1aaa2198c627970773d80669d84574a8d80d3cb12453c02589f25382e353c32f94c3f42d6599/1984-2004_320.mov)

Mr. Anderson
Jan 7, 2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by the_mole1314
You know, I don't know what to think of the new commercial. It's cool it's back, but it sucks that they added an iPod. It just seems *wierd*.....

I don't know. It means she's choosing not to listen to the double speak and listen to her own tunes instead ;)

Makes more sense to me, actually.

D

big
Jan 7, 2004, 08:38 AM
speaking of... did you guys ever watch theVirginia Super Computer movie (http://www.apple.com/hardware/video/virginiatech/virginiatech_480.html) ?

jazman
Jan 7, 2004, 08:43 AM
You don't need QTPro to download any movie on the web. You just need to know where to find it and that info can be obtained in the source code. You can grab it here:

1984.mov

Sorry. I left out a couple of steps. Click on the 1984.mov link. Once the movie finishes loading, choose File>Save As.. Then save it anywhere you like.

1984.mov (http://a772.g.akamai.net/5/772/51/ac1909459af4ed/1a1a1aaa2198c627970773d80669d84574a8d80d3cb12453c02589f25382e353c32f94c3f42d6599/1984-2004_320.mov)

Kingsnapped
Jan 7, 2004, 08:45 AM
The addition of the iPod and the changing dates (?) might symbolize the fact that this ad is something new, and they're not just re-hashing an old ad for our entertainment. Perhaps a new apple form-factor is on the way, which made for (in some of your opinions) a dull keynote.

macMaestro
Jan 7, 2004, 09:03 AM

Sorry. I left out a couple of steps. Click on the 1984.mov link. Once the movie finishes loading, choose File>Save As.. Then save it anywhere you like.

Or you can just option-click the link if you're in Safari.

jxyama
Jan 7, 2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by macMaestro
Or you can just option-click the link if you're in Safari.

all this does is that it saves the movie as a link to the streaming video source. it's not a self-contained movie. to get the movie itself, i think you need QT Pro. afterall, it's one of the selling points of QT Pro... it might be hackable, but i haven't seen how.

big
Jan 7, 2004, 09:32 AM
I have the paid version, though in the unpaid version, can you open a movie from an URL?

from Quicktime....
go to "FILE", then "Open URL in new movie"

after it loads, I am able to do a "save as" and it asks if you want it to be a self-contained movie or link....

jazman
Jan 7, 2004, 10:00 AM
all this does is that it saves the movie as a link to the streaming video source. it's not a self-contained movie. to get the movie itself, i think you need QT Pro. afterall, it's one of the selling points of QT Pro... it might be hackable, but i haven't seen how.

Those sneaky Apple people. As it turns out, that movie is made with LiveStage Pro which gives interactivity to QT. So when you download it, it launches that QTPro page.

However, what I said before is still correct. If you know the pathway and directory which is generally in the source code, you can download anything with basic QT. I do it all the time. I have a library of downloaded movies that I use as creative resourses. I wouldn't call it a hack either. It's just something that the casual browser doesn't know.

jxyama
Jan 7, 2004, 10:23 AM

Those sneaky Apple people. As it turns out, that movie is made with LiveStage Pro which gives interactivity to QT. So when you download it, it launches that QTPro page.

However, what I said before is still correct. If you know the pathway and directory which is generally in the source code, you can download anything with basic QT. I do it all the time. I have a library of downloaded movies that I use as creative resourses. I wouldn't call it a hack either. It's just something that the casual browser doesn't know.

nice! it's not a "hack" but it's a nice work around...

the_mole1314
Jan 7, 2004, 10:35 AM
The iPod was probably added in live. They probably got a model that is shapped like our hammer lady. They put her in a green screen and a green outfit, filmed her, took the iPod out and added it in to the commercial. Add lighting to the iPod and it's done.

JGowan
Jan 7, 2004, 10:47 AM
http://www.empiremedia.net/hooters.jpg

Someone was bound to do it... might as well be me.

Belly-laughs
Jan 7, 2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by krafix
Me too, very sad they even touched it. But the worst is they did it with an iPod. Anything but that. Yes, it's the hype of the moment, but that's the whole point: it could very well turn out to be just the flavor of the year. Apple is very good at letting others become flavor of the century instead. The internet bubble exploded in everyone's face in 99. The online music crazyness is the next bubble around, ready to pop dead. An ad such as 1984 should stay a classic and regarded as such with consideration. Not make it funny with the flavor of the month that might go away. They're making fun of their own classics. Sad.

So maybe on Jan 26 the iPod is a thing of the past - enter something new?

Steve did say it would be a great year.

Supa_Fly
Jan 7, 2004, 12:58 PM
Hooters, lol. No thats marketing by the bulge of your pants.

Now I do hope that the iPod Mini does support all of the OS refinements and add-ons as the iPod!!!!

I've got an Intel computer with QuikTime 6.5, though not pro. I've been trying to save this movie ad with all of the directions to NO avail and its driving me insane!!!

Can anyone post it on their server and email me the link to that file on their server so that I may download it PLEASE!!!!

I promise I'll have a Mac by end of summer 2004!!!!

Seriously though I love the product and the company....I've already set summer 2004 as my deadline of owning a Mac, or my Dull is dead-end-of-line!!!!

I also hope Apple aspires for the G5 to be in all of its products by the end of this year!!!

Happy Anniversary Macintosh!!!

macMaestro
Jan 7, 2004, 01:10 PM

I was refering to the link posted above. But yes, very sneaky apple not letting us download it. I guess I should have tested it before I posted.

Doh! :rolleyes:

jettredmont
Jan 7, 2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by holmesf

Actually, Jobs noted the change with the comment "We just had to" after showing it yesterday.

wdlove
Jan 7, 2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Kingsnapped
The addition of the iPod and the changing dates (?) might symbolize the fact that this ad is something new, and they're not just re-hashing an old ad for our entertainment. Perhaps a new apple form-factor is on the way, which made for (in some of your opinions) a dull keynote.

I did not find this Keynote to be dull at all. His statistics on Apples sales was very interesting. I thought that the highlight was the Xserve, iPod, and most especially the iLife. The demonstration of GarageBand was awesome.

LimeiBook86
Jan 7, 2004, 09:28 PM
I hope we can expect something cool between Jan 24-26th... :D

merges
Jan 7, 2004, 09:56 PM
The "big brother" screen still indicates the date of January 26, 1984. But a nice try ;-)

zim
Jan 7, 2004, 11:57 PM
I did not see it posted here so: http://www.isd.net/cmcalone/cine/1984.html

It is a nice page that documents the making of 1984.

My personal feeling was cool, an iPod.... did not bother me one bit. My friend did not even notice it till the second viewing.... wonder what he was looking at.

Scottgfx
Jan 8, 2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by macMaestro
It could have been something else, but since Shake's the market leader, and an Apple Product, that would seem to be the most likely guess.

electric606 claimed that the composite was done where he works, and was a proprietary tool. There are a few of those out there. One such shop (Digital Domain I believe) is planning on making their in-house compositing app a commercial product. Perhaps that is where electric606 works.

Having a body-double attempt to model the exact moves of the original model just sounds like a exercise in futility. It would just be easier to track a point, either by hand or tracking tools and add in the iPod. I've done a 3D track before to replace a logo. It's not always easy, but it's better than getting another person to attempt to mimic the moves that were already done.

I could perhaps take the hi-res version of the ad and replace the iPod with a Dell DJ. Nahhh, that thing would look better on Big Brother. I mean, look at it! The Dell DJ looks like the front of a Buick.

stoid
Jan 8, 2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by AndrewMT
I for one always thought the big breasted heroine in her tight shirt and short shorts (and yes, she does look like a hooters waitress) in this commercial was a big mistake. I wish the ad creators had spent more time (using their brains, not their...well, you know) creating a character that does not look like she should be serving hot wings.

In fact, they did spend time choosing a proper character, the woman shown was cast for the part because she won a gold medal at the Olympics for throwing.

That's using your brain! :eek:

LimeiBook86
Jan 8, 2004, 05:47 PM
In fact, they did spend time choosing a proper character, the woman shown was cast for the part because she won a gold medal at the Olympics for throwing.

That's using your brain! :eek:

Cool I didn't know that! You learn something new everyday :D

Phil Of Mac
Jan 8, 2004, 11:13 PM
The story is, a number of attractive models auditioned for the part, but none could throw the hammer, until they found none other than Anya Major, who was not only a model, but also a champion discus thrower. And THAT is how they cast the 1984 woman.

LimeiBook86
Jan 8, 2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Phil Of Mac
The story is, a number of attractive models auditioned for the part, but none could throw the hammer, until they found none other than Anya Major, who was not only a model, but also a champion discus thrower. And THAT is how they cast the 1984 woman.

kewl! :)

PC Clone
Jan 9, 2004, 01:15 AM
What I find funny is how this ad seems to be more reflective of the Mac community than anything else...

iAtom
Jan 9, 2004, 03:25 PM
It does look like it is flickering between a '0' and an '8.' But it also looks like the '6' in '26' is flickering between a '6' and a '5.' I guess we'll just have to wait until then and see what happens.

wdlove
Jan 10, 2004, 11:17 AM
Did anyone else that didn't attend MWSF happen to purchase the "MacWorld San Francisco 2004 Apple Mac Poster?" It was my wife's 1st purchase on eBay. The poster cost $14.99 plus $5.00 S & H. It just arrived today and in good condition. This gives me more faith in eBay, although it was a straight purchase and no a bid. An interesting item is that the person we purchased it from also lives in the Boston area.

geephore
Jan 10, 2004, 11:24 AM
There are a couple of other ways to get the quicktime movie.

1. Open the source code and look for the url of the movie (It should end with .mov and start with an akamai address) Make a new html page with a link to that url and contextual-click and select "save link as..." or something similar

2. go to mozilla.org and download their browser Mozilla Firebird (It's around six megs). (You should do this anyway if you have windows. It's like ten times better than explorer.) Then go to the page the movie is on. Go to the tools menu and select Page Info. Go to the media tab and scroll through the media URLs until you find a really long one with type video/quicktime.
Click it and then click the button that says Save As...
Voila.

arogge
Jan 10, 2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by geephore
Go to the media tab and scroll through the media URLs until you find a really long one with type video/quicktime.
Click it and then click the button that says Save As...

Does this work on your system with this particular file? This is how I usually get Apple's movie files, but this new commercial only gets saved as a 4 KB file that points to the QuickTime site. I had to use QuickTime Pro to save it correctly.

Solkar
Jan 14, 2004, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by arogge
Does this work on your system with this particular file? This is how I usually get Apple's movie files, but this new commercial only gets saved as a 4 KB file that points to the QuickTime site. I had to use QuickTime Pro to save it correctly.

I'm having the same trouble. I've looked in the caches, I've tried everything that usually works, but to no avail. I hate to upgrade to QTPro just for this ...

masterjedi73
Jan 14, 2004, 12:01 PM

Actually, I think it shows how well Apple has succeeded in going up against Big Brother. It shows how 20 years laters, Apple is making some head ground.

dontmakemehurtu
Jan 29, 2004, 09:33 AM
:(