PDA

View Full Version : 10.1.5 Sooner or Later?

arn
May 22, 2002, 04:17 PM
RailheadDesign provides (http://www.railheaddesign.com/) us an update regarding Mac OS X 10.1.5...

The next minor update to OS X 10.1 is almost ready to go final candidate — but there’s one hiccup: Microsoft wants a different release schedule than Apple’s.

Per the update, it's mentioned that MS's IE update will take another 7 weeks with current plans. Details at at RailheadDesign (http://www.railheaddesign.com/).

big
May 22, 2002, 04:22 PM
ummm, forget 'em Apple! Why did we buy from you anyways?

King Cobra
May 22, 2002, 04:23 PM
Here we go again. Microsoft is giving orders to Apple...Hold off the release of a free update to your operating system, which most likely will provide less bugs, so that we, the guys at Microsoft, can release a slow-scrolling internet application, which renders pages much slower than Mozilla or Netscape.

What a bunch of BS. I think Apple should go with their operating system. And with the rumors of 10.1.6, I think Microsoft can wait until then. In seven weeks' time, Apple might already be finished with 10.1.6. Just my thoughts.

robbyd
May 22, 2002, 04:37 PM
rumors of 10.1.6? really i havent heard about this..

Hemingray
May 22, 2002, 04:39 PM
Screw 'em. If the update to IE is major, it can wait for Jaguar!

SPG
May 22, 2002, 04:43 PM
It only took MS a year to get OSX drivers for it's mice while they were saying "any day now", so waiting for them now is a little risky, and BTW their drivers don't even work that well!

kishba
May 22, 2002, 04:45 PM
silly microshaft and their quest for power...

steve should release 10.1.5 tomorrow just to spite them!!!

ok, now that i'm past my initial craze... microsoft should let apple help them speed up the development process so they BOTH can release their updates rather quickly

can't we all just get along and share the love??

Macmaniac
May 22, 2002, 04:59 PM
They make me so angry! Thier drivers are very bad too, I lost some functionalilty of my mouse, sheesh way to work backwards. Jaguar should not wait for anything!

King Cobra
May 22, 2002, 05:06 PM
Regarding my post on 10.1.6, I am pretty sure that there was a discussion about 10.1.5, with a pinch of 10.1.6 added in to the mix. I just can't remember where I found it.

SPG, if you think MS does crappy mouse drivers (which I agree), Kensignton Mouseworks for OS 9 and even OS X is right <down> there with MS.

It is, however, sad that Apple sort of needs to rely on MS for Microsoft Office v.X. I wonder what would happen if Apple matches MS and does better. Then Apple might not need MS anymore for certain software.

In the meantime, Appleworks is a really neat software product. I have done so much with AW it has saved me in the process of making 2D drawings and figures look 3D.

Backtothemac
May 22, 2002, 05:11 PM
Man it is things like this that make me want to get rid of them is one massive sweep of my hard drive. Screw them! We bought Apple for a reason, so that we don't have to be under the thumb of Bill Gates, and his band of merry men. You know what, come to think of it. I don't need them. I think I will do a little trashing on my system right now. Can't Appleworks read word documents?

King Cobra
May 22, 2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Can't Appleworks read word documents?

According to the Help menu for Appleworks, you need a MacLinkPlus translator.

But, really, Apple should make Appleworks the standard for basic text, drawing, database executions, spreadsheets and presentations. Now if Apple can add even more simple features and more options for export/import we would be set.

GeeYouEye
May 22, 2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by King Cobra

According to the Help menu for Appleworks, you need a MacLinkPlus translator.

But, really, Apple should make Appleworks the standard for basic text, drawing, database executions, spreadsheets and presentations. Now if Apple can add even more simple features and more options for export/import we would be set.

I agree completely with the second paragraph. As for the first one, v. 6.2.3/4 (9/X) has the translator built in.

Kid Red
May 22, 2002, 06:22 PM
So if we get 10.1.5 in the next few weeks and/or without a new IE, that means Stevie grew some balls and told M$ to piss off.

Can't wait to see what happens:)

kishba
May 22, 2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Kid Red
So if we get 10.1.5 in the next few weeks and/or without a new IE, that means Stevie grew some balls and told M$ to piss off.

Can't wait to see what happens:)

i'm pretty sure stevie already has the balls to do it... but he doesn't want to piss off microsoft so much that they pull office... lots of people use it... the agreement between the companies already expired and steve's actions could very well break up the "strong relationship" between the two companies

nathany
May 22, 2002, 06:47 PM
Well, I think they should make 10.1.5 available via Software Update as soon as they can. An IE update can come later.

As far as refreshing what is shipped out on new systems, maybe they should wait so they don't have to refresh and refresh again.

(and no, i don't use IE anymore)

- n8

fbcfabric
May 22, 2002, 07:04 PM
here is the 'Important Information' document that comes up just before you install the 10.1.5 update i was shown:

Mac OS X Update 10.1.5 delivers enhancements which improve the reliability of Mac OS X applications, delivers improved networking, security, and expanded peripheral device support. Specific improvements include:

Peripheral Device Support:
-Expanded support for new Canon digital cameras
-Improved support for Nikon FireWire cameras
-Expanded support for SmartDisk, EZQuest, and LaCie disc recording devices
-Improved support for MO drives

Application Improvements:
-Increased stability of Mail and Sherlock
-Emails are properly retained when rebuilding the Draft mailbox
-Updated Carbon applications can use Quartz anti-aliasing technology for high quality text display

Networking and Security Improvements:
-Improves networking via AFP when accessing multi-level directories on Windows NT file servers
-Significant improvement to file searching on local and remote volumes
-Mail accounts go off-line to indicate that SSL encryption settings are not supported by the mail server

WebDAV Improvements:
-More efficient iDisk mounting and file navigation
-Added support for connecting to iDisk using default DNS settings of AirPort
-Support for mounting a WebDAV volume from a non-standard http port

Asian Language Improvements:
-Significant updates to the Korean Input Method, especially important when using AppleWorks
-Internet Connect and AirPort applications updated with Chinese and Korean localized content

i don't install pre-release stuff myself, especially OSX updates! but i have been told that it works fine... ill be interested to see if the version apple releases is any different

McFreggle
May 22, 2002, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by SPG
It only took MS a year to get OSX drivers for it's mice while they were saying "any day now", so waiting for them now is a little risky, and BTW their drivers don't even work that well!

Which reminds me... Microsoft promised to release an update for Entourage v.X to make it able to synchronize with a Palm, a few weeks after Palm would have released its Desktop Software for OS X...

It's quite a while now the Palm Desktop Software is available, but no sign of Entourage Update... :(

I have a meeting with a Microsoft manager next week... I will poll him...

k.

robotrenegade
May 22, 2002, 07:11 PM
Remember when apple didn't have alot of things going on. Well, Bill Gates gave apple 50 million, before Steve came back. I hate microsoft as much as the next guy. He also ownes 10% of apple.

kishba
May 22, 2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by robotrenegade
Remember when apple didn't have alot of things going on. Well, Bill Gates gave apple 50 million, before Steve came back. I hate microsoft as much as the next guy. He also ownes 10% of apple.

i'm pretty sure that the investment was sold... i remember a thread where someone mentioned the sale

if only i could remember how long ago it was, i'd find it, but alas...

King Cobra
May 22, 2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by kishba

i'm pretty sure that the investment was sold... i remember a thread where someone mentioned the sale

if only i could remember how long ago it was, i'd find it, but alas...

I think this was it...

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4047

And Gates did not give Apple $50 million, but rather $150 million, according to the first post.

BTW: There are a few flames that can still be detected in this forum. Enjoy! :)

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 07:29 PM
I'll just say screw 'em as well!!! :mad:

King Cobra
May 22, 2002, 07:32 PM
Hey, an anti-smiley! :)

I have a feeling that this could burst into another flame war, or possibly heated opinions at the least, just as long people keep seeing MS, M$, Microsoft, or Bill Gates. I think I will stay out of it for a while.

fbcfabric
May 22, 2002, 07:42 PM
Microsoft are a big bunch of pansies - im sorry, they just are.

i take immense joy in thinking about them fall from grace, but Office for Mac is a stupidly important app. the singularly most impressive thing you can tell a PC user is that their sorry M$-owned lives can be reopened on a mac.

Kid Red
May 22, 2002, 08:14 PM

I think this was it...

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4047

And Gates did not give Apple $50 million, but rather $150 million, according to the first post.

BTW: There are a few flames that can still be detected in this forum. Enjoy! :)

They bought IIRC $150 million of stock options which have since been sold back a while ago. The reason for the $150million was to settle a lawsuit with Apple over M$ stealing the Apple GUI. M$ and Apple signed the contract in which M$ would make Office for the Mac and Apple would drop the lawsuit.

I'm sure there were other stipulations, like Apple couldn't directly compete with Windows OS, had to make IE the defualt browser, etc. Notice this year Apple is getting more ballsy with their ads? I think that's because the contract is about up - August I think?

eyelikeart
May 22, 2002, 08:23 PM
Hey, an anti-smiley! :)

yeah....u like that one....eh?? ;)

as far as flamewars for this thread go...I don't think we're going to see one...

basically....everyone is pissed off that the release is being set back a bit because of something on Microsoft's part...I don't think it's really a personal vendetta against Apple...but it does suck... :( (well there I go with another anti-smiley)

MOM
May 22, 2002, 08:32 PM
A little off topic, but some one else started it.

I use appleworks all the time and I think it is great but it has some real glaring omissions. Firts, I've used MacDraw, MacDrawPro, ClarisDraw and now Appleorks for polishing up figures for my research manuscripts. Nearly every figure I've published has gone through one of these programs. They work well and simply for what I need them to do. so my question is if Appleworks is based on the previous software why can't I open a clarisdraw figure in Applworks directly??? Forget the MS to appleworks conversions what about claris to appleworks. I know i can save the figures in clarisdraw in EPSF format and then import them, but this means I need clarisdraw on the computer (I carry aversion around on a zip just to be able to access my old files).
While we're at it, why can't I save a Appleworks drawing in EPSF so that I can import it to MS word (which I have to use for grants as despite the translators appleworks makes a mess of the formats). ClarisDraw did this and it worked well for me for years. Now I have to move my Appleworks drawings to the word processor portion of Appleworks were i can save it as an RTF file that doesn't mess up the figure when it gets imported into MSword.
Additionally, the palette for the alignment tools used by ClarisDraw was better than the current implementation which brings us back to the MacDrawPro days.
OK enough of my rants, but I think if Apple made just a little bit of effort instead of taking some features out and putting just a few features in they could come up with app that could serve most of the needs that people turn to MSOffice for. I would love to never have to use Office again, but that day isn't today.
MOM

iapple
May 22, 2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by MOM
A little off topic, but some one else started it.

I use appleworks all the time and I think it is great but it has some real glaring omissions. Firts, I've used MacDraw, MacDrawPro, ClarisDraw and now Appleorks for polishing up figures for my research manuscripts. Nearly every figure I've published has gone through one of these programs. They work well and simply for what I need them to do. so my question is if Appleworks is based on the previous software why can't I open a clarisdraw figure in Applworks directly??? Forget the MS to appleworks conversions what about claris to appleworks. I know i can save the figures in clarisdraw in EPSF format and then import them, but this means I need clarisdraw on the computer (I carry aversion around on a zip just to be able to access my old files).
While we're at it, why can't I save a Appleworks drawing in EPSF so that I can import it to MS word (which I have to use for grants as despite the translators appleworks makes a mess of the formats). ClarisDraw did this and it worked well for me for years. Now I have to move my Appleworks drawings to the word processor portion of Appleworks were i can save it as an RTF file that doesn't mess up the figure when it gets imported into MSword.
Additionally, the palette for the alignment tools used by ClarisDraw was better than the current implementation which brings us back to the MacDrawPro days.
OK enough of my rants, but I think if Apple made just a little bit of effort instead of taking some features out and putting just a few features in they could come up with app that could serve most of the needs that people turn to MSOffice for. I would love to never have to use Office again, but that day isn't today.
MOM

Well said. I also think the support for previous "claris" versions of the software is not as good as it should be. I used to use Claris Works 4, and it has no problems in showing it's content, but the layout sometimes is messed up.

Besides that, I think apple needs to get serious about MOVING AWAY from OFFICE! I have office on my PowerBook, because the stuff I do at school is done in MS word, and my parents work at a university that "strongly recommends" people to use Office, so teachers can open the .doc attachments, etc.

If Appleworks has a decent file converter, and the ability to "save" files in MS word format, or Excel format, then noone has to pay the STUPID 50000yen (about 520 dollars, I'm a mac user in Japan :)) for the whole Office suite. We need more core features in Appleworks, for current users of MS office to use it.

I hope they release a Cocoa version of Appleworks (it's carbon now I think), with full support for OpenType Fonts and compatibility with Office.
The Japanese language support of OS X has improved a lot, but AppleWorks cannot really take advantage of it.

well that's enough complaining, I'm going to wait for AppleWorks 7!

kcmac
May 23, 2002, 12:36 AM
Unlike XP, X doesn't require a web Browser to make the OS work!:p

Screw 'em. This is maddening. MS has been telling the lie so long that they are even starting to believe it.

Rafael Perini
May 23, 2002, 01:55 AM
MS is a bunch of lazy ppl!!!!

The havent released the Entourage PDA conduit. Now holding Mac OS update?? I do hope the new Address book plus some changes in the Mail appl in the next version (Jaguar) will make me forget about this M**** program.

Got to hell!!!!

Wry Cooter
May 23, 2002, 03:23 AM
Its not like the current MSIE is going to break because of 10.1.5 is it?
That is, does IE itself need a software tweak to be able to use 10.1.5's quartz rendering? Or does MS just want to dress nice for the party too?

They already get free Software Update support, if they are late to the party they can still catch the bus.

Beyond that reasoning, I wouldn't trust them saying wait for me, and they shouldn't be hurt if the everyone else goes on in a different car.

Jays
May 23, 2002, 03:46 AM
I don't get it, who uses IE on OSX anyway, since the last update the thing is not usable, 3 years ago M$ dropt some language support for IE and Office on the Mac for all I care they can stop making thier crap for the Mac, it helpt us maybe for a while but Apple is doing just fine now also without M$.

By the way AW works great in import/export word files there is no need for office or IE on the Mac infact they both are an insault to X.

Wry Cooter
May 23, 2002, 04:38 AM
Originally posted by Jays
I don't get it, who uses IE on OSX anyway

People too lazy to move their bookmar.. uh favorites and useful cookies (such as the one that logs me in here) over to a new browser.

I use OmniWeb quite a bit. I use Netscape and iCab. I even end up surfing in classic because of some java applets only working there. I usually keep at least one browser available that has Java disabled or other services denied, so I can surf ruder waters with out having someones site do whatever, as well as one wide open to whatever is out there. Some have different plug-ins. I might dedicate yet another to shopping. It ends up being a matter of what flavor do I want to surf today- I end up favoring different browsers for different activities. Isn't that silly.

aafuss1
May 23, 2002, 06:10 AM
OKm Aopplke you're beaten- well the installer for v 10.1 (no, ity's my app) isd ready-only need tio upload it.

clonenode
May 23, 2002, 08:20 AM
I have seen 10.1.5 running at the Apple store near me. It's running on the demo Macs at the store. They must have some internal build.

j763
May 23, 2002, 08:37 AM
I'm not planning on sparking a flamewar but i think it's a bit stupid to start fingerpointing at microsoft for stealing the GUI idea...

and no, i'm not an m$ apologist, but really, apple stole the gui from xerox, m$ stole it from apple, so apple turns around and sues m$ -- pretty hypocritical if you ask me...

katchow
May 23, 2002, 09:51 AM
how does anyone know if any of this is even true? Has there ever been a similtaneous update of the OS and IE? (i really dont know) It just sounds like one of those rumors to stir all of you up...

oh god, lets not get started on who developed the GUI...pleeeasssse no :)

one more thing...IMHO i still think IE is the best thing going at the moment. Still pretty sad though. I've tried the others and i really dont see anything great...i guess it depends on what kinda sites you surf....

if netscape went on a serious diet, it might be ok....omniweb just doesnt work with a lot of pages and i'm not seeing a speed improvement over IE....maybe's its just me.

katchow

Jays
May 23, 2002, 09:57 AM
Mozzila is the best as far as I am concerned, not very fast as starting up, but once running it renders pages nice, as a web developer is has good all around support for plugins and jscript.

though some sites only work properly on IE but that is due to web designers who think that everyone uses IE!

AlexMac
May 23, 2002, 10:28 AM
I noticed the other day that the picture of the browser on the iTools home page (only from a Mac), next to the "Stay in Touch" heading shows a page that has aqua pop-up menus (drop-down box). The browser is clearly IE though. The webmail looks like an earlier version though. Unfortunatley, the pics are too small to tell if there is antialiasing.

Does this mean that the folks at Apple have had the newer version for a while? or have they made this up in photoshop??? (I doubt that)

Maybe we won't have that long to wait :)

AlexMac.

ryan
May 23, 2002, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Kid Red

They bought IIRC $150 million of stock options which have since been sold back a while ago. The reason for the $150million was to settle a lawsuit with Apple over M$ stealing the Apple GUI. M$ and Apple signed the contract in which M$ would make Office for the Mac and Apple would drop the lawsuit.

I'm sure there were other stipulations, like Apple couldn't directly compete with Windows OS, had to make IE the defualt browser, etc. Notice this year Apple is getting more ballsy with their ads? I think that's because the contract is about up - August I think?
Also remember that the $150 million was for non-voting stock. So while MS did own part of Apple, they didn't officially have any way to control them.

And yes, the contact is up in August.

TechLarry
May 23, 2002, 02:50 PM
I say to hell with Microsoft. They haven't been very active in improving the Mac version of IE, so let them deal with distribution on their own time.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what's up here. Microsoft wants Apple to wait so it can include the next IE in the 10.1.5 update.

Which means APPLE will be footing the bandwidth costs for the distribution of the updated IE, not Microsoft.

LOL! Nice try Bill :)

TL

jail
May 24, 2002, 03:55 AM
what's gonna happen when ie is the only browser without quartz? and it's not gonna come quick, chimera had a %25 speed hit when it went quartz, ie crawls now, how slow will it be with quartz? they'll have to do some magor speed work before ie goes quartz. i hope they get it right, there's enough complaining about slow mac browsing going around.

britboy
May 24, 2002, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by fbcfabric

-Expanded support for SmartDisk, EZQuest, and LaCie disc recording devices

That sounds good. Would this make it possible for me to write 800MB cd's? Apparently the hardware can do it, but i've had no luck getting the software to recognice any more than 701.2MB.

This seems like a relatively major .1.x release. WTG!

Falleron
May 24, 2002, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by j763
I'm not planning on sparking a flamewar but i think it's a bit stupid to start fingerpointing at microsoft for stealing the GUI idea...

and no, i'm not an m$ apologist, but really, apple stole the gui from xerox, m$ stole it from apple, so apple turns around and sues m$ -- pretty hypocritical if you ask me...
WHAT!!! Apple bought the rights!! M$ did not! Apple did everything by the book!

benjaminpg
May 24, 2002, 04:38 PM
On Macintouch (http://www.macintouch.com) a reader posted a similar experience to that of clonenode's.

Daniel Tam reports a pending update to Mac OS X: "Just to let you know, I walked in to the Apple Store Miami and saw a store rep installing 10.1.5 on all the computers. I asked him when it was coming online and he said in a couple of days."

Backtothemac
May 24, 2002, 05:09 PM
Listen, all the fuss should be over the possibility of MS holding up the release. 10.1.5 is not going to change your user experience in X. Believe me, that is not going to happen until X.2. I cannot wait to see OS XI. I bet it is going to rock. he, he,

Falleron
May 26, 2002, 05:42 AM
Probably nothing, but I just tried the software update + I cant connect! This normally happens before they add something.

mmmdreg
May 26, 2002, 07:36 AM
why doesn't apple release x.1.5 and have a warning saying that you should only install it if you don't mind <blah> not working correctly...?

Wry Cooter
May 26, 2002, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by jail
what's gonna happen when ie is the only browser without quartz?

They could simply say they are the fastest and most readable and most used.

Quartz isn't always a blessing... smaller typefaces when antialiased so can look mushy.

regarding why apple doesn't say "this update will break so and so" actually they sort of do... they say what the updates will change whether its the DVD subsystem or whatever.. most of the updates past 1.1, for those that have been so unfortunate, have "broken" exactly what they said they would repair, depending on the setup. And its often an issue of a the installer software overwriting something that was previously needed, a problem that goes back to System 7 at least. Uninstall on updates would be a nice option.

kydruid
May 26, 2002, 12:26 PM
<soapbox>

I'm tired of hearing stories about M$ holding things up. Especially when at the same time they're proclaiming how this OS doesn't have this part of M$ technology, and that OS, etc... When they've manuevered themselves to be the default provider of those technologies. It's a load of B.S. Now, it's time to strike back, we can all work to eliminate M$ from our drives. And our computers will *still* be easy to use afterwards. Let's tackle a couple in order...

1) Internet Explorer

http://www.mozilla.org
http://www.netscape.com
http://www.opera.com
http://www.icab.de

2) Microsoft Orifice^H^H^H^H^H^Hffice ;>

http://www.openoffice.org

(Office suite originally developed by Sun Microsystems, runs on PCs, Linux, Sun Solaris, FreeBSD, and a direct port is in the works for Mac OS X. Far cheaper and more flexible than Office.)

As I think of more, I'll add to the list. Other candidates obviously include the hotmail/msn/msn messenger sites and apps, which are easily worked around, and the software which hasn't and fortunately won't ship for Mac anytime soon... (what?? Publisher won't come to mac? I'm so disappointed. :P).

Folks we don't need Microsoft to get anything done, and in fact, We could lead the charge against them. Make note of these web pages, and share with your pc friends so they can be enlightened. Help them to escape the tyranny imposed upon up by the evil empire.

Oh yeah, a brief intro... I'm a true geek, I do digital pre-press, graphic design, network administration and basically cto duties for a small printing company in Louisville, KY, and I personally despise this juggernaut known as Microsoft. My opinion would be far nicer if they could even begrudgingly play by the rules. Circumvention should not be an option for a company as large and ubiquitous as they are.

</soapbox>

Wry Cooter
May 27, 2002, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by kydruid
< When they've manuevered themselves to be the default provider of those technologies. It's a load of B.S. Now, it's time to strike back, we can all work to eliminate M$ from our drives.

Sorry, I will remain compromised. Not by functionality so much, but by the 90 percent of the rest of the world that can only read a file if it is created in Word, Excel, etc.

I didn't need to buy Office for my own use... it was for the benefit of those that knew nothing else, including potential employers. I got tired of people who didn't know how to open a tab delimited text file into a spreadsheet.

ehwood
May 27, 2002, 02:58 AM
Not by functionality so much, but by the 90 percent of the rest of the world that can only read a file if it is created in Word, Excel, etc. Man, AppleWorks and OpenOffice both open and save to Office formats.

kydruid
May 27, 2002, 10:38 AM
that's why I offered up the url of Open Office. It reads and writes MS Office formats. :) And oddly enough costs a *whole lot less* even when bought as the application suite StarOffice made by Sun Microsystems.

It's just a suggestion bourne out of my frustration with Gates and Co.'s methods and strategies. I'd have absolutely no beef with most of what Microsoft puts out if it were distributed into a fair and even marketplace, not the marketplace that exists now, where all they must do is throw money out and destroy competitors.

So, if it works for you and benefits you, don't worry about my sentiment, you're one of the ones who don't use the software blindly. Those who
blindly accept it "because it's from them, it has to be good" are the ones that the whole market has to worry about, not to mention where the jokes about the Borg come from.

Thank you for bringing up a valid point. :)

Ed.

jamesbhai
May 28, 2002, 08:52 AM
Okay, so we have determined that you DON'T need microshaft products to get work done or save in compatible formats. We also cleared up the question (was there one?) about GUI. Stealing is using without consent. Apple did that, Microshaft didn't.

So, use appleworks, staroffice, mozilla, netscape, etc. and never worry about Microshaft in your daily lives.

You are two steps from nirvana and you control your destiny.

What are you waiting for? The other 95%?

jamesbhai
May 28, 2002, 11:14 AM
i poorly worded that. i meant that stealing is using without consent. apple DID get consent, microshaft did not.

sorry about that.

j

kydruid
May 28, 2002, 04:29 PM
Just trying to offer suggestions and help to all the other folks who would like to shed the bonds of totalitarian megalomaniacal corporations.;) (Yes, I'm getting out the flame-proof suit for the reaction that I know I'm sure to get from that comment) ;).

You sure this isn't Monday? My usual Monday sarcasm seems to prevalent. heh.

Ed.

digitalgiant
May 29, 2002, 04:31 AM
Hey ya'll, I hate to be an ass, and i know that I will get flamed for this, but.....micro**** is here to stay, do we really think that by not useing IE or office that MS is going to go away? No it wont. Dont get me wrong, I hate windoze and would cut bill's heart out if i could get away with it. we need to put weight on Apple to think of us first. After I get done with this, I am writing apple. Bitching here wont get it done....sorry. Now you can "flame" me all you want. I have been fighting MS since 1985 ( the year apple appeared in my house). And wiil use a Mac until the day I die. This **** with MS is life in a world call "market share". Do this,,, get "LimeWire",, steal MS office and Screw micropop. Just my 2 cents.

Not bad for my first post huh?

jamesbhai
May 29, 2002, 08:29 AM
Whether or not microshaft is here is partially irrelevant. Just because it is here does not mean one HAS to use their product. To complain about their product while continuing to use it, KNOWING that there are viable alternatives is problematic. I believe what some people (myself included) are doing is informing others of these alternatives. Then, rather than being hypocritical by needlessly using a product I abhore, and regardless of microshaft's market share, I can feel a little pride in knowing that at least i am not using their products and contributing to the problem. If those who don't like the product and are knowledgable still use the products, then you can't hope that anyone else will try something different. It won't change the world, but it'll change our world just a bit.

Wry Cooter
May 29, 2002, 09:15 AM
I had to remind myself of the basis of this thread, the rumor that MS would want 10.1.5 to wait 7 weeks while they readied a quartz rendered version of MSIE.

Although this is typical of MS shenanigans, I think that even they really wouldn't care, unless they were wanting it to be on a CD distribution of 10.1.5. The latest bumped iBooks are probably already shipping with an earlier MSIE.

digitalgiant
May 29, 2002, 09:17 AM
Dude I dig what you are saying....I was just frustrated. I just want my up date, thats all. Thanks for the usefull alt programs also

kenkooler
May 29, 2002, 09:27 AM
Most people I know who use Macs erase IE as soon as they get the machine anyway (after downloading another browser of course)

jamesbhai
May 29, 2002, 10:10 AM
digital......you'll have it made then. get the update, head downtown, get some rendezvouz ribs and go sit on the bank of the mississippi. unless you are a corky's guy, then head out east. mmmmmm.

now i'm hungry. shoulda brought some ribs back with me monday. doh!

digitalgiant
May 29, 2002, 04:43 PM
Mmmmm,,,, sounds like a great idea!! But alas the rain wont seen to stop long enough to make it possible.