PDA

View Full Version : got any tips for an OS X newbie?

phreakout13
Jan 7, 2004, 05:32 PM
Hi
I'll have a new computer in a few days and I've never used OS X before. I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice. Thank you.

kettle
Jan 7, 2004, 05:46 PM
Yeeeeeee!!

Thank yer lucky stars you're not having to use windoze fer the first time.

Search this site for any problems you find using OSX and I bet if it's not already dealt with, there will be many many happy Macrumors peeps waiting to make yer day.:)

hulugu
Jan 7, 2004, 06:04 PM
Do you have any specific questions, concerns?

What is your level of experience with regard to computers, ever used Windows or Mac OS before?

What do you want to do with your new machine?

phreakout13
Jan 7, 2004, 07:29 PM
I'm not bad with OS 9 or OS 7.6. I only want to use OS X for my home computer and with my 10g iPod

hulugu
Jan 7, 2004, 10:12 PM
Mail is a great program, especially if you go through the rules under Preferences, and set them up. The Junk filter should be set on training mode first, to make sure its not junking things you would like to see.
Safari is a very good program, the tabs are very useful but they must be engaged using Preferences and you can set up pop-up blocker using Cntrl-K.
The dock is very useful, you can use it to hold all the Applications you consistantly use, but you can store the Applications folder and your Home folder next to the trash when they can easily be accessed.
System preferences is a single Application that runs all the Control Panels and allows you to control things like Network connections, Desktops pictures, etc.
When you get to print, the Print Center Application will appear and will handle all your printing needs.
Appleworks is good, but could be better, if you need Office, get it using the Educational discount, but for many other things there are great freeware/shareware apps out there. I would suggest MacJournal.
iTunes is one of the best programs ever, play with it a lot, and make sure to rate songs and use the Smart Playlists. Also, go and get Windows Media Player, and Real, you will need both eventually, but otherwise Quicktime rocks.
Make sure to set up one account as an administrator, but all the others should be users, and don't lose that Admin password, you need it to install software and to access your volumes from a different machine. But, truly OSX is the best OS out there, you should have a blast. Let me know if you've got any specific questions.

mnkeybsness
Jan 7, 2004, 10:23 PM
change your exposť function buttons from F9, F10, and F11 to F1, F2, and F3 - respectively. this increases workflow dramatically, as there is no need to either take your right hand off of your mouse to hit the keys or reach your left hand away from the left side of the keyboard. i did this because i use my left hand to use shortcuts constantly. as almost all shortcuts can be done with just the left hand, i didn't want to have to move it around, as that takes time. and time is money.

hulugu
Jan 7, 2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
change your exposť function buttons from F9, F10, and F11 to F1, F2, and F3 - respectively. this increases workflow dramatically, as there is no need to either take your right hand off of your mouse to hit the keys or reach your left hand away from the left side of the keyboard. i did this because i use my left hand to use shortcuts constantly. as almost all shortcuts can be done with just the left hand, i didn't want to have to move it around, as that takes time. and time is money.

That doesn't work if you have a Powerbook, you'd end up messing with the screen brightness and then muting the sound.
Hey, Phreakout what kind of Mac are you getting?
And mnkeybsness can you think of any tips off hand?

Horrortaxi
Jan 7, 2004, 10:46 PM
My tip for newbies is just to turn it on and start using it. See how far the Mac intuitiveness can carry you. When you're ready for the advanced stuff or have a problem, you know where to come. :)

Duff-Man
Jan 7, 2004, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Horrortaxi
My tip for newbies is just to turn it on and start using it. See how far the Mac intuitiveness can carry you. When you're ready for the advanced stuff or have a problem, you know where to come. :) Duff-Man says.....yeah, I like that advice....the best thing about the Mac has always been its intuitiveness and ease of use...so just turn it on and go...and have alook through the threads here for any answers...don't see 'em then ask!......oh yeah!

warcraftmaster
Jan 7, 2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by hulugu
Mail is a great program, especially if you go through the rules under Preferences, and set them up. The Junk filte.............the best OS out there, you should have a blast. Let me know if you've got any specific questions.

gzzz you took all the fun (could of said it better my self):) :) :) you will love your new mac

Powerbook G5
Jan 8, 2004, 12:05 AM
What's the point in putting a link to your home folder in your dock when clicking on the Finder icon does the same thing? And I also recommend Video Lan to play windows media files and many others that Quicktime doesn't support, it's great and it's free from Version tracker.

hulugu
Jan 8, 2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
What's the point in putting a link to your home folder in your dock when clicking on the Finder icon does the same thing? And I also recommend Video Lan to play windows media files and many others that Quicktime doesn't support, it's great and it's free from Version tracker.

The point was actually to show that it could be done, most people don't realize you can dump a folder there and I think it's useful to have the Apps folder there so I can quickly grab an run an App with the mouse, I also did this with my home folder so I can swing through the several layers of folders I have in my portfolio. Video Lan is a good suggestion however.

Powerbook G5
Jan 8, 2004, 12:52 AM
Actually, I recommend just dumping Version Tracker and MacUpdate into your Safari bookmark menu, because those two sites have an insanely great wealth of updates, shareware, and freeware to make your computer experience anything you want it to be. I also recommend putting iSync in your menu bar if you use .Mac, it's amazing. Click the button and automatically all of your bookmarks, address book contacts, iCal entries, etc, are all backed up and if anything happens or you need to do an erase install of OS X (like when you upgrade and want to start clean) or just want to keep things up to date, it is great to be able to click sync and automatically have your familiar settings automatically recovered in a matter of seconds. It sure saved me a good hour when I did a clean install of Panther.

mnkeybsness
Jan 8, 2004, 09:23 AM

in the finder preferences, you can set what a new finder window will open. mine is set to show a list of the mounted drives (Computer).

And mnkeybsness can you think of any tips off hand?

what i posted prior to your post was a tip :D

also, you may want to look into some programs such as dockextender (http://www.codetek.com) and desktop manager (http://wsmanager.sourceforge.net/) for increasing workflow.

kaosfere
Jan 8, 2004, 12:53 PM
[B]That doesn't work if you have a Powerbook, you'd end up messing with the screen brightness and then muting the sound.

Not if you download uControl (http://gnufoo.org/ucontrol/ucontrol.html) and turn the "Real Function Keys" option on. I have my funciton keys back and only need to hit a modifier to control meta-tasks, just the way it should be.

phreakout13
Jan 8, 2004, 05:30 PM

Hey, Phreakout what kind of Mac are you getting?

I'm getting an eMac superdrive 1Ghz power PC g4.with 512mb ram, and an 80 gig HD. I can't wait!

Powerbook G5
Jan 8, 2004, 05:37 PM
If you want something really cool just for cool's sake, get Backlight 2 from Version Tracker, it allows you to toggle your screen saver off and on and between your screen savers on the fly as your desktop wallpaper. It's something that impresses everyone like crazy who sees it.

mms
Jan 9, 2004, 08:53 PM
PowerBook G5, a good thing about putting your home folder in the dock is that if you have a two button mouse, you can right-click the folder to access its contents without opening a new Finder window. I use it since I have enough windows cluttering up my desktop without opening a new one every time I have to access my home folder.

This is what I used in Jaguar. I'm pretty sure it still works in Panther, I just haven't had enough time to play around with Panther yet so I'm not completely positive.

Powerbook G5
Jan 9, 2004, 08:58 PM
I still don't have a 2 button mouse. I haven't needed one in all the years of using OS 8 and 9, but with OS X, I can see how much benefit it could have, not to mention I just got a game that is nearly impossible to play while ctrl clicking all the time. I just cannot find a good Bluetooth mouse that makes me feel like I need one yet as they seem to be so hard to find currently. But yeah, just the thought of having like a 5 button mouse with Exposť mapped out to the other three buttons is enough to make me a believer in multi button mice.

mms
Jan 9, 2004, 10:20 PM
After using a multi-button mouse for a bit, you'll find out that contexual menus make life a lot easier. Even if you use key commands a lot, some commands in the contexual menus don't have key shortcuts and it's easier for newbies that haven't memorized the shortcuts. Although I feel that anything more than two buttons is overkill, a scroll wheel is always nice to have.

neoelectronaut
Jan 9, 2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by phreakout13
I'm getting an eMac superdrive 1Ghz power PC g4.with 512mb ram, and an 80 gig HD. I can't wait!

Ah, welcome to the eMac club.

*points to signature*

neoelectronaut
Jan 10, 2004, 12:01 AM
If you want something really cool just for cool's sake, get Backlight 2 from Version Tracker, it allows you to toggle your screen saver off and on and between your screen savers on the fly as your desktop wallpaper. It's something that impresses everyone like crazy who sees it.

Dude, I have to thank you for pointing that out, I downloaded it just to give it a shot, and I have to say nothing is cooler than using Marine Aquarium 2.0 on my desktop.

neoelectronaut
Jan 10, 2004, 12:02 AM
*points down*

Edit: Also, Red Pill, a 3D Matrix Code screensaver looks sweet too.

Powerbook G5
Jan 10, 2004, 12:06 AM
I know, isn't it great? I downloaded MatrixGL and ran it during a class once and everyone crowded over my PowerBook and were gasping between the keyboard being lit up and the Matrix scrolling down my screen.

neoelectronaut
Jan 10, 2004, 12:17 AM
You know, I tried both MatrixGL and Red Pill, and I just kind of like Red Pill more. Have you tried it?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11727

Powerbook G5
Jan 10, 2004, 12:24 AM
I have but that diagonal motion just doesn't seem to do it for me. One of my favorite screen savers so far has been Euphoria. It is really customizable and looks pretty awesome, it's almost like have a full screen high resolution lava lamp for your desktop.

neoelectronaut
Jan 10, 2004, 12:42 AM
Sounds interesting, can I get a URL for that?

oldschool
Jan 10, 2004, 12:50 AM
Something that always get asked is how to get stuff out of the menu bar. What you want to do is press the Command (apple) key and drag whatever you want out of the menu bar.

Westside guy
Jan 10, 2004, 12:54 AM

I used to do that on Linux - you can run Xscreensaver in the root window. It can peg the CPU though if you're running one of the Really Slick screensavers though, or something with lots of 3D rendering.

But it was cool running "Atlantis" as the background; sorta like having an aquarium in your Mac and still being able to do work on it!

Powerbook G5
Jan 10, 2004, 12:56 AM
I believe this is it http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15356

Mav451
Jan 10, 2004, 12:58 AM
heh i remember the matrix screen saver, about 3-4 years ago. My brother was only in high school then (running his 550 Athlon), and he was just showing it to me. All of a sudden, my dad pops up at the door and is like "OMG!! what is that? That's just like that movie".

Hahah it was great.

neoelectronaut
Jan 10, 2004, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Mav451
heh i remember the matrix screen saver, about 3-4 years ago. My brother was only in high school then (running his 550 Athlon), and he was just showing it to me. All of a sudden, my dad pops up at the door and is like "OMG!! what is that? That's just like that movie".

Hahah it was great.

If it was 3 or 4 years ago, you're probably talking about the horrid flash-based one they had on the Matrix site for a while...it was choppy and low resolution. I didn't like that one at all..

But then, if that's not what you're talking about, just ignore the previous statement(s).

Mav451
Jan 10, 2004, 03:48 AM
nope not flash based...but .exe (kinda of dangerous on windows environment now that I think about it)...

alas, it was the Win98 days...and it was even funnier when the papers reported last summer that the 95/98 PCs out in the world were safe from the MSblast virus...and to think that my brother ran an ".exe" based screensaver--pretty nuts.

-yeah, not low resolution either. My brother had (at the time) an extremely new "space saving" CRT from ViewSonic (P series i think)--and it was a "massive" 19incher, so he was running 1280 x 1024, while i was stuck on my 15" @ 800 x 600 lol.

Squire
Jan 10, 2004, 07:37 AM
Tips? Have you considered a .Mac subscription? The online tutorials they offer are priceless.

And PowerBook G5, thanks for the Backlight tip. That is pretty cool. Now I just have to download that Matrix thing.

Squire

<edit: It's pretty cool. Thanks guys.>

neoelectronaut
Jan 10, 2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by Mav451
nope not flash based...but .exe (kinda of dangerous on windows environment now that I think about it)...

Even though it was packaged as a .exe, it most likely was still built in flash--at least if I'm talking about the same one it is.

robins2001
Jan 11, 2004, 10:08 AM
hi, i am also getting my first mac soon and have never really used osx properly, what is the folder structure like? anything like windows with a folder for applications (program files) and one where all the main os files are (windows) all located in the root drive?

Powerbook G5
Jan 11, 2004, 11:57 AM
I took a quick picture of my Finder window so you can see how it is arranged. It is kind of like Windows, I suppose, since you have your programs in "Applications" just like they are in "Program Files" in Windows, system files in "System" and "Library" like they are in "Windows" and "System 32" and so forth. The left hand side lists all the folders that are default as well as a few I added for quick navigation. The top left column shows all drives, much like "My Computer" does under Windows and the bottom shows all the primary folders I use often, such as Application, Documents, my Games, system Utilities, "Creations", which is where I store all of my avatars, pictures, desktops, icons, etc that I make in Photoshop or whatever. The top of the window shows the search bar, kind of like "Find" in Windows, but much better in my opinion, and then there is the "Get Info", "Burn to Disk", "Eject", and "Show Path" icons that I added to the toolbar through the "Customize" option. If you need any other screenshots or explanations, just shoot me a PM or email and I can show you just about anything you may be curious about so I don't clutter up this thread with too many pictures. :)

mms
Jan 11, 2004, 11:57 AM
"Applications" folder for programs, "System Folder" for the OS files.

crazytom
Jan 11, 2004, 12:48 PM
If you're new to OS X, I'd recommend playing, playing, playing.

You should also learn how to 'Repair permissions...' and do that about once a month.

There's some cool stuff on osxhints.com (http://www.macosxhints.com/) that you can weed through to see if anything floats your boat.

There's also a lot of useful information here. (http://www.macdevcenter.com/)

Have fun!

neoelectronaut
Jan 11, 2004, 06:51 PM
What I love about OS X (And what you will love too) is the fact that it's SO easy to uninstall stuff:

Step 1: Drag to Trash

Step 2: Empty Trash

...and that's it! Other than preference files (which you can easily find by doing a search in the finder usually) the software is just GONE COMPLETELY. Nothing left over in your system folder or registry to clog up your system.

I'd have to say that the OS Wallpaper looks mighty nice in your finder window there PBG5....maybe I should do that.

Powerbook G5
Jan 11, 2004, 07:14 PM
I have custom wallpapers for each folder, too. I know that column view is more preferred by Mac users, but I love the creativity you can have with icon view since you can do custom wallpapers and icons along with placement, size, etc.

hulugu
Jan 12, 2004, 04:36 AM
Hey Powerbook, quick question:

where'd you find all the cool icons?

I was going to make this a PM, but I realized others might want the answer too.

Thanks.

Powerbook G5
Jan 12, 2004, 07:53 AM
I got most of my icons from www.xicons.com. A few others I got from various other places, but you can find just about anything you are looking for, along with instructions for changing your icons all at that one place.

DaveTheGrey
Jan 12, 2004, 01:01 PM
I have custom wallpapers for each folder, too.

Hi ! How do u do this ?

Dave out.

sahnert
Jan 12, 2004, 04:35 PM

When I run this program it works alright, shows screensaver in background with everything else on top. But I can't click on any folders on the desktop. Only dock stuff and menu bar. Is this normal?

DaveTheGrey
Jan 13, 2004, 05:36 AM
Thanx Powerbook G5, Backlight 2 works great !!!

very impressive :eek:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16015

Dave out.

Squire
Jan 13, 2004, 06:14 AM
Yeah, it is pretty cool. I have my Backlight setting on "Abstract" and the "Red Pill" Matrix thing for my screen saver. (Having the Matrix thing on my desktop was too trippy.) The only beef I have with it is that I can't always access the triangular Backlight icon.

Squire

Powerbook G5
Jan 13, 2004, 11:15 AM
I've never had those issues with backlight, but I guess anything is possible with different configs.

As far as using custom wallpapers in my folders, I just use Photoshop to scale them to the size of my windows and I go to "View Options" (Command+J) and there is an option there to set background pictures. I believe it only works in icon view mode, though.

DaveTheGrey
Jan 14, 2004, 05:10 AM
Thanx G5 :cool:

Dave out.