PDA

View Full Version : Do you turn your iphone off at night?

heyp
Aug 12, 2008, 09:42 AM
Just curious how many turn their iphone off at night to save battery cycles... I noticed that for some reason my usage would increase dramatically at night as described in this thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=531463&highlight=usage+increase ... however, I do not get this increase in usage if I have wifi off, but it lead me to question why I leave it on at night anyway

scaredpoet
Aug 12, 2008, 09:45 AM
At night, I usually have it plugged into to my computer via sync cable so it's getting a charge. When fully charged the iPhone will just run off power from the cable, so it won't use the battery. So because of that, I see no reason to turn it off.

Badandy
Aug 12, 2008, 09:45 AM
Of course I have it on at night, it's my alarm clock every morning.

CrzyCanuck72
Aug 12, 2008, 09:47 AM
absolutely not. and risk missing drunken texts at 3 in the morning?

Nukey
Aug 12, 2008, 10:04 AM
absolutely not. and risk missing drunken texts at 3 in the morning?

So true, even though I think they get delivered anyways.

ivtecDOu
Aug 12, 2008, 10:06 AM
nope on 27/7

cal6n
Aug 12, 2008, 10:07 AM

ditto this

slicecom
Aug 12, 2008, 10:10 AM
ditto this

ditto this ditto

Mine sits in its dock, charging on my night table, and wakes me up every morning.

mrwizardno2
Aug 12, 2008, 10:11 AM
The godphone has an off button? Why would anyone ever want to turn it off? :confused:

Hehehe. Nope. Never turn it off.

Oman
Aug 12, 2008, 10:12 AM
Night time is when you should be charging your iPhone for the next day. It is the one time where you will not be using it for a few hours thus allowing it to charge. :apple:

MadGoat
Aug 12, 2008, 10:13 AM
I put it in airplane mode(uses next to no battery). since it's my alarm clock, I kinda need it on.

passingXstorm
Aug 12, 2008, 10:14 AM
I use it for my alarm too, so I leave it on (but plugged in) every night.

heyp
Aug 12, 2008, 10:17 AM
hmm, so leaving it plugged in all night does no harm to the battery?

Cynicalone
Aug 12, 2008, 10:17 AM
I leave mine on all the time except when I'm flying. I skip the airplane mode and just turn it off all together. And use my iPod Touch for music and videos.

Ntombi
Aug 12, 2008, 10:20 AM
I've never turned any of my cell phones off at night, why would I start now?

Chris Blount
Aug 12, 2008, 10:22 AM
Mine gets turned off at night. Don't need it since I have a landline phone available to me.

Cynicalone
Aug 12, 2008, 10:23 AM

Yeah I was wondering if there is any reason too turn it off everyday?.?

I had the idiot from Cox Cable tell me to turn my cable box off every night. I don't and it seems to work just fine. :) I can't think of a reason to turn off a cell phone... maybe to clear the memory???

scaredpoet
Aug 12, 2008, 10:25 AM
hmm, so leaving it plugged in all night does no harm to the battery?

Nope, the battery will only take what it needs and when fully charged, won't take any more.At that point the phone just uses power coming from the cable.

I can't think of a reason to turn off a cell phone... maybe to clear the memory???

I guess you could argue that turning the phone on and off might clear up any memory leaks and make the phone run more stable, but it doesn't need to be off for several hours. Turning it right back on just after turning it off should do the trick just as well.

In any case, my iPhone runs for days on end without too much of a problem, so I never really bothered unless I'm having trouble right then and there.

heyp
Aug 12, 2008, 10:27 AM

i mean in all likelihood, most people here will have a new iphone before their battery were to crap out but turning it off at night would save battery cycles in terms of having to charge it every third day instead of every other day... anyhow, i was just curious... i assumed the majority wouldn't bother turning it off especially because i think that most just leave it plugged in over night so it's fully charged when they get up

btcutter
Aug 12, 2008, 10:40 AM
I turn it off every 2 or 3 nights. My reasoning.......iPhone 3G is like a computer with OS, every once in a while rebooting it just speed things up and clear the memory.

Who knows...maybe that's why my sync only takes 2-3 min unless I am downloading musics or movies, doesn't crash or freeze.....and I am not upgrading it to 2.01 (knock on wood!)

WannaApple?
Aug 12, 2008, 10:43 AM
My phone goes to bed with me and stays on :) I dont use it as an alarm..yet...til school starts backup, but I do fall to sleep listening to music.
I charge my phone all day while Im at work, so no need to charge it at night.

Sonicjay
Aug 12, 2008, 10:47 AM
Nope. Haven't had a land line in 10 years. This thing stays on all the time; though at night, the ringer's on vibrate and the text/email notifications are turned off.

minik
Aug 12, 2008, 10:49 AM
Nope unless I desire to quit my day job.

SFStateStudent
Aug 12, 2008, 10:56 AM
If I turned it off I would miss those call from my friends to bail them out at 3:00a.m.! :p

bamafever09
Aug 12, 2008, 11:04 AM
mines n 24/7. why turn it off and not get woken up at 4 am by drunk friends?? :p

ucfgrad93
Aug 12, 2008, 11:13 AM

Same here.

Ferris23
Aug 12, 2008, 11:19 AM
24/7 It's my alarm clock as well.

Interstella5555
Aug 12, 2008, 11:29 AM
As others have said, I've never turned off any other cell phone overnight, I'm not sure why I would start now. Besides, I don't have a landline, so its my only phone.

If you're not sure why you would leave your phone on overnight...don't leave it on.

mlemonds
Aug 12, 2008, 12:47 PM
how else could i get my 12am mr forum updates or my 5 am hofo updates

also my alarm clock

Only time I can say that I turn mine off is when that time is spent with a lady friend. ;-)

Zephgx
Aug 12, 2008, 12:56 PM
Why turn off the jesusPhone?

It's my alarm clock...although it has a hard time waking me up though...

Trajectory
Aug 12, 2008, 12:59 PM
I leave it turned on, but I turn the ringer off.

Aug 12, 2008, 01:06 PM
Leave it on all night, it's my alarm clock, and my only phone line. So it's on all the time in case there's an emergency

Ntombi
Aug 12, 2008, 01:23 PM
I turn it off every 2 or 3 nights. My reasoning.......iPhone 3G is like a computer with OS, every once in a while rebooting it just speed things up and clear the memory.

Who knows...maybe that's why my sync only takes 2-3 min unless I am downloading musics or movies, doesn't crash or freeze.....and I am not upgrading it to 2.01 (knock on wood!)You can solve this by turning it off for just a few minutes. It doesn't need to be off for hours to reset it.

I turn mine off for a few minutes every other day or so, which is actually more often than I turn off my iBook. ;)

nope on 27/7Are you on a different planet, where days are 27 hours long? :p

sanPietro98
Aug 12, 2008, 01:30 PM
I don't think I've ever turned it off. I also use it as my alarm clock.

ki2594
Aug 12, 2008, 01:54 PM
ditto this ditto

Mine sits in its dock, charging on my night table, and wakes me up every morning.

same here. My MacBook is off for the most part at night and when im using it throughout the day in dual display mode and all, the magsafe is always plugged in because it just takes power from the cable instead of the battery. Same thing at night with the 3G, sleeping but on, on its dock :D

iSurfHi
Aug 12, 2008, 02:34 PM
I leave my iPhone 3g on all night but in the mornings I do refresh it though. Turn it off for a min then back on. This way the iPhone in it self works smooth.
Mahalo~;):apple:

bluedevils
Aug 12, 2008, 03:52 PM
Call forwarding is so easy on this phone. I turn on call forwarding and leave it on the dock. This way I don't miss calls because the phone is in one room and I'm in another.

This phone is on AC during the night, but not receiving calls.

deluxe498
Aug 12, 2008, 04:35 PM
i cant sleep knowing my phone is turned off at night. i really cant. it has to be by my side and turned on.

:)

ZDDP1273
Aug 12, 2008, 05:04 PM
I don't turn my phone off, but I do turn Airplane Mode on.

ki2594
Aug 12, 2008, 05:10 PM
My phone goes to bed with me and stays on :) I dont use it as an alarm..yet...til school starts backup, but I do fall to sleep listening to music.
I charge my phone all day while Im at work, so no need to charge it at night.

its bad to sleep with the phone on ur bed, id put it on like a side table or something

Sphyrna
Aug 12, 2008, 05:20 PM
I have mine turned on sitting in my dock connected to my alarm clock via aux-in. Some nights I'll use it to listen to music while I fall asleep.

btcutter
Aug 12, 2008, 05:21 PM
i cant sleep knowing my phone is turned off at night. i really cant. it has to be by my side and turned on.

:)

Must be the radiation.
:D

fireman13
Aug 12, 2008, 05:51 PM
Nope. Stays on 24/7.

StingerT125
Aug 12, 2008, 07:03 PM
Mine's on standby over night.

ScottFitz
Aug 12, 2008, 09:13 PM
I put mine in airplane mode so I can still use the alarm, but not have the electromagnetic waves bombarded my body all night unnecessarily.

JWages
Aug 12, 2008, 09:23 PM
That would ruin the function of it being a phone.

Someone MAY need to reach me at 3am.

jt2ga65
Aug 12, 2008, 10:47 PM
Work has called me at 3 am before, and if I didn't have the phone on, I imagine I probably wouldn't need to bother showing up for work the next morning. Also, since work pays my plan, it would be bad to have it off.

But... Why would you bother turning off your phone? Do you turn off your home phone every night? I suppose some people do, but it just seems like a bad idea to me.

-jt2

marksman
Aug 12, 2008, 10:48 PM
The only thing I turn off every night is my girlfriend.

deannnnn
Aug 12, 2008, 10:50 PM
The only thing I turn off every night is my girlfriend.

hilarious. :rolleyes:

Jayden0606
Aug 12, 2008, 10:56 PM
It's my lifeline, it stays on.

NYAngel98
Aug 29, 2010, 07:51 PM
I just got the iPhone 4 two days ago, and this is my first iPhone, so I'm not very familiar with the battery life or how to keep it running at it's best. I spoke with a representative at AT&T and she recommended that I shut it completely off and let it charge overnight so when I turn it on, it's received a full charge without anything interrupting it during the night. Also, she said that restarting the phone is how AT&T delivers over-the-air updates and how you "lock on" to the tower And keep the signal strong. I live in an area where there just so happens to be a broken tower, so I barely get reception at home. Coming from a Verizon blackberry (with full reception)I didn't know about their towers so I just assumed the reception was horrible and was going to bring it back to best buy & reactivate my blackberry while I still had time. But with that phone I never turned it off at night - just plugged it in. The one thing I liked about that phone was that even if the phone was COMPLETELY turned off, it would automatically turn itself back on if the alarm was set. Is there an app for the iPhone to make it do that? I still am using that phone as an alarm clock because I was unsure about leaving this one on all night so the alarm would go off. But I'm glad to see that so many of you don't turn it completely off. Well, thanks for letting a new user rant! :)

Randman
Aug 29, 2010, 07:52 PM
I usually turn it to Airplane mode at night.

Avizzv92
Aug 29, 2010, 08:02 PM
When I had just an iPod Touch I turned it off religiously every night, not with my iPhone though. Only thing I do is turn off data until I explicitly need it on to avoid any wasted data, both my house and college where I spend most of the time have extensive wifi coverage.

Greenman85
Aug 29, 2010, 08:10 PM
So true, even though I think they get delivered anyways.

FAIL

Primejimbo
Aug 29, 2010, 08:20 PM
Mine stays on 24/7 because we don't have a home phone.

ideal.dreams
Aug 29, 2010, 09:19 PM
I never turn off my phone, not even when I'm in school. The only time it's ever off, is when I have to reboot it, and even then it's only off for a minute or so.

rans0m00
Aug 29, 2010, 09:24 PM
Heck yeah that thing is off at night. I learned quickly that no matter what age you are someone will think they have the greatest thing to tell you at 3am when you have work in 5hrs. That iphone gets turned off the minute I am thinking of bed. Maybe you all were not cursed with friends that will seriously call to say I cant sleep are you sleeping? Then your like i was sleeping... and string of obscenities follow... They probably keep doing it to find out what random string of words I will piece together when I am half awake...

SAD*FACED*CLOWN
Aug 29, 2010, 09:40 PM
You should turn off your iPhone and leave it off for at least a minute once everyday...this was the sage like advice given by the "genius" at my favorite Apple store...and by genius I don't mean the pimple faced teens that decide if you can get an exchange or not, I mean the actual genius in the back with the birkenstocks who never comes on to the sales floor ever except to pick up his delivered chic-fil-a...

deannnnn
Aug 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
I don't even turn mine off on airplanes.
(Shhhh don't tell the FAA.)

Aug 29, 2010, 10:26 PM
No. The only time I turn my iPhone off is if its having a problem.

ovrlrd
Aug 29, 2010, 10:38 PM
Mine stays on all the time. It is pretty much always on a charger. When I go to sleep it is on a charger in the same room as I sleep, so I can use it as an alarm (which I do) and don't worry about the battery getting used while I am asleep.

I don't know why anyone would worry about the battery dying though, most people replace their iPhone with a new model before the battery capacity reaches anywhere near 50%.

makefunnyfaces
Aug 29, 2010, 11:04 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I never turn my phone off. I plug it up next to my bed, & usually fall asleep texting/on the phone with my boyfriend.

The only times I can remember turning it off were during the ACT, SAT, overseas trips, & the state choir festival. :p

scaredpoet
Aug 29, 2010, 11:06 PM
i mean in all likelihood, most people here will have a new iphone before their battery were to crap out but turning it off at night would save battery cycles in terms of having to charge it every third day instead of every other day...

If you plug your phone in at night, it stays on AND doesn't use battery, so you get the best of both worlds.

While you're right that your iPhone is basically a computer with an operating system, not all operating systems are made the same. Some OSes, particularly older ones, do have issues with memory leaks. But most modern OSes are better at it now.

Not to mention, the core foundation of iOS is an operating system kernel that runs on servers that are meant to be left on for days, weeks, months. I have web servers at work that have been running continuously for over a year. Likewise, it's perfectly reasonable to keep your iPhone running for a month or more without having to reboot it.

My iPhone has always stayed on, with reboots happening only when OS updates happen, or when I get the latest version.

mgmusicman94
Aug 29, 2010, 11:12 PM
I have no reason to turn it off other than when some cydia install requires a reboot. Turning it off and then back on is just a waste of 30 seconds in my morning routine.

rwilliams
Aug 29, 2010, 11:30 PM
I never turn my phone off at night. Our "landline" is through Vonage, so if the power goes out, so does the home phone, not to mention the alarm clock. At least with the iPhone, I can still have an alarm and phone service in case of emergency.

Quiara
Aug 29, 2010, 11:32 PM
I'm on call far too often for that.

iMaconApple
Aug 29, 2010, 11:37 PM
:) yup...

i have it plug to my macbook then when i wake up in the morning unplug then off to work so i can use it all day and watch movies/games/network ect..my batt wont last me all day at work due to its on all the time begin use:D

iphoneos
Aug 29, 2010, 11:51 PM
Of course not who does? :apple:

Pillar
Aug 30, 2010, 12:53 AM
no

azhava
Aug 30, 2010, 12:55 AM
I'm on call far too often for that.
Same here, and it's also my alarm clock in the morning. I usually charge it in the afternoon/evening when I get home from work, but never turn it off unless a reboot is required for something (FW upgrade, etc.)

buddyk1986
Mar 29, 2011, 06:50 PM
no i do not turn my iphone off at night its my alarm aswell i do NOT leave it on the charger though cause it still seems to me it will mess up the battery anyway so i have my fully charged before bed and it might drop 1% in 5 hrs so im very satisfied with the battery life

dukebound85
Mar 29, 2011, 06:54 PM
never turn mine off. why would one?

Apple OC
Mar 29, 2011, 07:00 PM
Heck yeah that thing is off at night. I learned quickly that no matter what age you are someone will think they have the greatest thing to tell you at 3am when you have work in 5hrs. That iphone gets turned off the minute I am thinking of bed. Maybe you all were not cursed with friends that will seriously call to say I cant sleep are you sleeping? Then your like i was sleeping... and string of obscenities follow... They probably keep doing it to find out what random string of words I will piece together when I am half awake...

^^^ lol ... no I keep mine on just in case of an emergency ... I don't know anyone who would call for no reason

maflynn
Mar 29, 2011, 07:15 PM
Call me crazy but need a phone make/receive calls. I can't do that with the phone off

MissMegatron
Mar 29, 2011, 07:28 PM
Mine is always on, and boy is that alarm clock loud, if that doesn't wake you up nothing will :apple:

wordoflife
Mar 29, 2011, 07:35 PM
Couldn't be bothered with turning it off. I use it for my alarms too, so ...

IBradMac
Mar 29, 2011, 08:15 PM
of course i have it on at night, it's my alarm clock every morning.

+2

fenskezen
Mar 29, 2011, 08:34 PM
I always turn the sound or the whole phone off every night. Need my beauty sleep!;)

LapsangSouchong
Mar 29, 2011, 09:11 PM
Lord no. It's my PHONE. I have pushmail, so my email is quiet. No one texts me late unless it's an emergency. And, it's my alarm clock.

GonzagaDynasty
Mar 29, 2011, 09:13 PM
Why don't you people just charge the damn thing during the night...? Makes sense to me.

LapsangSouchong
Mar 29, 2011, 09:14 PM
Why don't you people just charge the damn thing during the night...? Makes sense to me. I do charge it. And it's on.

LapsangSouchong
Mar 29, 2011, 09:18 PM
duplicate post

Applepi
Mar 29, 2011, 09:43 PM
Like the consensus so far, no. I use it every morning for my alarm and have done so since 2007.

vincenz
Mar 29, 2011, 09:48 PM
I dont think my phone has been turned off for more than a minute since I bought it last summer.

Blueline29
Mar 29, 2011, 09:59 PM

This. I do turn text and email sounds off, though, so that drunk friends or the newest Hammacher Schlemmer catalog don't wake me up. Ring stays on, though, in case of emergency.

DiamondMac
Mar 29, 2011, 10:06 PM
I leave it next to me charging and my alarm clock

So, no

SilvorX
Mar 29, 2011, 10:10 PM
I never turn it off at night, but on the odd night I will turn on Airplane mode so that I won't get random drunk texts/calls when I really need to sleep

LightSpeed1
Mar 29, 2011, 10:51 PM
I hardly ever turn my phone off.

jwingfie
Mar 29, 2011, 10:56 PM
Never have turned it off at night and never will. Sleep is important, but I can think of hundreds of phone calls that could be more important.

AuroraProject
Mar 29, 2011, 10:57 PM
Off? What is this "off" that you speak of?

iApples
Mar 29, 2011, 11:14 PM
I sometimes turn mine off. Usually I'll leave it on but some nights when I don't feel like being woken up by a text message or email or even a call I'll just turn it off.

PhoenixKit
Mar 29, 2011, 11:31 PM
No, I haven't turned my iPhone off one time since I bought it.

AmereckanPsycho
Mar 30, 2011, 12:06 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I turn my iPhone off once a month for about 7 seconds.

mtnDewFTW
Mar 30, 2011, 12:13 AM

This.

Macgeeza
Mar 30, 2011, 12:23 AM
I have mine turned on all the time because I use the alarm to wake me up, but at night I put airplane mode on so that no one can ring me and wake me up

Moyank24
Mar 30, 2011, 12:25 AM
I don't think I've ever turned any iPhone I've owned off. It's on 24/7.

GP_1
Mar 30, 2011, 12:32 AM
Nope. I have it on & plugged in every night.

ryanrich
Mar 30, 2011, 12:34 AM
Nope, iPhone is on 24x7. Do a full reset every few weeks though.

rans0m00
Mar 30, 2011, 12:51 AM
man whats up with the old threads being resurrected lately?

ihonda
Mar 30, 2011, 09:14 AM
I have mine turned on all the time because I use the alarm to wake me up, but at night I put airplane mode on so that no one can ring me and wake me up

what happens if someone is dying?! at least use silent so that the vibrate would wake you up!

ThaDoggg
Mar 30, 2011, 09:25 AM
I don't bother because it wastes barely any battery when on standby. My phone is always on vibrate anyway and I don't hear it at night.

nburwell
Mar 30, 2011, 09:26 AM
I don't think I've ever turned any iPhone I've owned off. It's on 24/7.

+1. Even when flying, I put my iPhone in airplane mode.

Annerz
Mar 30, 2011, 09:33 AM
Never.

SirithX
Mar 30, 2011, 09:38 AM
what happens if someone is dying?! at least use silent so that the vibrate would wake you up!

What's the point of that? Might as well keep the ringer on too if you want to be woken up. But this bring up a good idea, maybe someone could make an app that prioritizes calls based on phone number, so say you can have your phone silent except for when certain people call you. In the case of non-jailbroken phones this would have to be an iOS setting though. Hmm.

Reticent
Mar 30, 2011, 09:47 AM
No, I just let it go on all night. But it is my only phone (I have no landline). I'd be interested to see how the "yes" and "no" answers correlate to whether this is the only phone people have.

AdamLam
Mar 30, 2011, 11:07 AM
I keep mine on for emergencies and the alarm app.

Macgeeza
Mar 30, 2011, 11:10 AM

LoL!, I'm sure that if "someone is dying" people will ring my landline phone to my house and wake me up that way.:D

jwingfie
Mar 30, 2011, 11:15 AM
LoL!, I'm sure that if "someone is dying" people will ring my landline phone to my house and wake me up that way.:D

I would be interested to see how many people on these forums actually have landlines. 99% of the people I know don't have landlines, my parents haven't had a landline in almost 5 years. The only person I can think of with a landline is my 80+ year old grandparents.

SirStrumalot
Mar 30, 2011, 11:30 AM
While I don't turn it off at night, I do make it a point to turn it off for a bit everyday (usually during a shower).

iApples
Mar 30, 2011, 11:51 AM
I would be interested to see how many people on these forums actually have landlines. 99% of the people I know don't have landlines, my parents haven't had a landline in almost 5 years. The only person I can think of with a landline is my 80+ year old grandparents.

So that consists of what? 10-20 people? Out of the 7 billion in the world...

A lot of people still have landlines. I personally do, mainly because I don't want to give my cell number to EVERYONE. Somehow when you give someone your cell number.. it means it's okay for them to text you all the time. It's really annoying.

jwingfie
Mar 30, 2011, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I only know 10 people... Good call.

zephxiii
Mar 30, 2011, 12:13 PM
Heck no i don't turn it off. I also plug it in usually.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night to check email/texts.

infidel69
Mar 30, 2011, 12:15 PM
Never

Pink∆Floyd
Mar 30, 2011, 12:16 PM
I never turn my off, I just charge it every night

fsck-y dingo
Mar 30, 2011, 12:22 PM
I put it in airplane mode while I'm sleeping. Also, I charge my phone overnight and in the morning power it off then back on.

h1r0ll3r
Mar 30, 2011, 12:23 PM
Never turn mine off. Usually by sleepy time my phone is near dead so I just charge it up overnight and leave it until next morning.

jive turkey
Mar 30, 2011, 12:24 PM
I do every few days (when I should be clear of needing to receive emergency phone calls), because that is the only way I can get my subscribed calendars to update.

Macgeeza
Mar 30, 2011, 12:37 PM

I'm in the UK and I got a landline as part of my broadband deal, perhaps it's different where you are but everyone I know has got a landline and a mobile phone (young and old people). So, do you just have mobile Internet in your house?, if so don't you find that a bit slow for when you are at home downloading etc?, just wondering?. Yeah it would be interesting to find out how many people have what though.

Sean006
Mar 30, 2011, 03:16 PM
at night i turn mine to Airplane mode....so i dont get bothered with emails.texts or phone calls but i still have my alarm in the morning...

wacky4alanis
Mar 30, 2011, 03:28 PM
I leave mine on and charging.

blevins321
Mar 30, 2011, 03:29 PM
Nope. I leave mine plugged in all day at work running Pandora then let it die down during the night until the alarm on it wakes me up in the morning. Besides when I purposefully cycle the battery, it never goes below 50% during this venture.

rivageek
Mar 30, 2011, 03:31 PM
my phone stays on, just in case if I get an emergency phone call.

neworleans-7
Mar 30, 2011, 03:32 PM
No...I don't see the point in turning my phone off at night. I'll put it in airplane mode every once in a while though.

fkhan3
Mar 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
Mine is always on

djransom
Mar 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
Mine acts as my alarm clock so no I do not turn it off.

kuebby
Mar 30, 2011, 08:22 PM
I just plug it in and set it on my nightstand. Unless it rings none of the other tones (SMS, email, etc) wake me up. And I like to be able to get up in the morning and check my email before I get out of bed (so I can find out if class is cancelled and avoid getting out of bed at all).

Ponderous
Mar 30, 2011, 08:44 PM
Mine is on 24/7 for work. Don't want to miss the overtime train! She doesn't come calling all the time. I also use the alarm clock to wake up. I miss the profiles from my old Blackberries. I used to be able to set to Phone Only profile so all my other alerts were silenced. I have to do this manually to ensure that the phone ring is the only noise I hear at 3:30AM.

Anyone know of a third party app to do this for me?

Thanks!

aphexacid
Mar 30, 2011, 09:18 PM
Nope

bmwhd
Mar 31, 2011, 11:50 AM
I voted yes but it's really 'sort of'. Being JB'en I used SBSchedule to create a 'Sleep' profile that shuts off everything except Edge, dims the screen, and lowers the volume, all with one click. :cool:

hobo.hopkins
Mar 31, 2011, 01:35 PM
I keep it on because I use the alarm. I just have it plugged in next to my bed all night.

decafjava
Mar 31, 2011, 01:36 PM
Yes but I have a landline and most of my friends and family know the number so I can be reached anyway.

Bugeyeblue
Apr 1, 2011, 09:46 PM
I turn it off every morning after it's been on the charger all night for about 20 minutes while I get ready. Seems to hold a charge a little better after sitting on the charger while off for a while. Maybe useless, but it's a habit from android phones with bad battery life.

iMaconApple
Apr 1, 2011, 11:06 PM
nope its my life line :p:apple:

mdlooker
Apr 1, 2011, 11:22 PM
No that's too much work. Besides the lottery officials may call to have me come claim my winnings.

AppleFanatic10
Apr 1, 2011, 11:26 PM
Nope. Unfortunately, people decide to call me in the middle of the night so my phone has to be turned on 24/7.

jrsmyd
Apr 1, 2011, 11:28 PM
Never turn off my phone, though I will let it drain completely once a month. Every night I keep it plugged into my Macbook Pro on my nightstand.

iApples
Apr 1, 2011, 11:35 PM
Nope. Unfortunately, people decide to call me in the middle of the night so my phone has to be turned on 24/7.

I'd be annoyed by that. That would make me turn it off for sure every night.

windowman
Apr 2, 2011, 12:46 AM
I dont want to be bugged :)

JulianL
Apr 2, 2011, 05:15 AM
I don't want to jailbreak so this is a case where I curse Apple's restrictions because if they would just provide some official APIs to control the radios then there would probably be at least 10 different apps in the app store to automatically put the phone into airplane mode on a fixed time schedule. Even 5 years ago my Windows Mobile phone could do that, and it could look in my calendar for when I was on a flight and do the same, it could detect meetings and switch to silent, and it could set my WiFi on or off depending on my location.

I also like the idea of an app that can only let calls through from certain numbers during nightime hours but I suspect that is also prevented on non-jailbroken phones by missing Apple official APIs.

I leave my phone on all the time because I'm very unlikely to be called in the middle of the night. The only time I switch it to airplane mode at night is if I'm in a different timezone where someone might call me during UK daytime hours and wake me in the middle of the night (e.g. if I'm in the USA).

I never switch my iPhone 4 off entirely. With the phone and location services enabled 24/7 but WiFi, Bluetooth and all push and automatic fetch services off, I often get 10 days between charges. My record is just over 13 days and that was still with some light useage. I suspect that if I charged my phone and then sat it on a desk and never activated the screen then I would probably get 14 or 15 days standby before the battery died (of course how I could tell if it was still alive without waking it up now and then is another matter). Sitting there just listening to the network consumes a really tiny amount of power.

- Julian

Ashin
Apr 2, 2011, 03:03 PM
A properly set up iPhone drains maybe 1-2% battery over night, and "usage" won't go up AT ALL, not even 1 minute.

makefunnyfaces
Apr 2, 2011, 05:37 PM
No. I lay it next to me in bed, plug it in, & roll over to answer texts/calls if I wake up. :p :rolleyes:

Apple 26.2
Apr 3, 2011, 08:24 AM
No, I just place it in Airplane mode... need the alarm to wake me.

Chrisconner1993
Apr 3, 2011, 10:22 AM
I never turn mine off, it just sits on the dock, sleeping, regaining it's energy.... Just like me :)

iFoure
Apr 3, 2011, 10:45 AM
No. Never. Ever. Why would I when the powering on consumes more battery than the iPhone on idle does? :rolleyes:

SOLLERBOY
Apr 3, 2011, 10:47 AM
Always off at night. As well as the router. I don;t like the idea of all that radiation and "invisible" noise messing with my head while I sleep.

jwingfie
Apr 3, 2011, 10:52 AM
Always off at night. As well as the router. I don;t like the idea of all that radiation and "invisible" noise messing with my head while I sleep.

http://www.popsci.com/files/imagecache/article_image_large/articles/foilhats_400.jpg

slicecom
Apr 3, 2011, 11:39 AM

You know that the air is PACKED with radio waves and invisible noise whether your cell phone and router are on or off right?

Chrisconner1993
Apr 3, 2011, 12:25 PM

Your paranoid dude.......

iApples
Apr 3, 2011, 01:09 PM

Do you also sleep in a freshly dug hole every night?

LapsangSouchong
Apr 3, 2011, 01:11 PM
So much vitriol over this guy's comment. Do I think he's right? Probably not. But I suspect we'll learn a lot in the coming years about all this stuff. We always do. Look at plastics, which once were "the best thing ever". sheesh:rolleyes:

Merthyrboy
Apr 3, 2011, 01:35 PM
I turn my phone off every night. Can't be woken up at some strange time, I'd probably never get back to sleep :p

dontwalkhand
Apr 3, 2011, 04:36 PM
Does the iPhone even charge while it's off? I don't turn anything off at night. My MacBook goes into sleep mode and sits on the charger. My iPhone is at my bedside charging while on, and ringer on low, just in case there's an emergency.

iApples
Apr 3, 2011, 05:20 PM
Does the iPhone even charge while it's off? I don't turn anything off at night. My MacBook goes into sleep mode and sits on the charger. My iPhone is at my bedside charging while on, and ringer on low, just in case there's an emergency.

Nope, it has to be on for it to charge. Even if you turn it off, once you plug it in, it turns itself on.

iAmYou
Apr 3, 2011, 06:28 PM
Nope, it has to be on for it to charge. Even if you turn it off, once you plug it in, it turns itself on.

Yes and No plug it in then turn it off. It will still charge.

JulianL
Apr 4, 2011, 06:32 AM
A properly set up iPhone drains maybe 1-2% battery over night, and "usage" won't go up AT ALL, not even 1 minute.
I concur with the 1-2% a night but I've never been able to get to a zero usage increase. My iPhone 4 always has about 10 minutes of "phantom usage" overnight and I can't work out why. I don't have email set up on the phone at all, calendar and contacts are on manual sync, notifications are set to "Off" at the top level of the Settings app, and I always switch to the home screen before putting my phone into standby.

As I already posted, my battery life when my phone is sitting doing nothing is spectacular anyhow so I'm not bothered by the phantom usage too much but it is a mystery that puzzles me from time to time.

- Julian

Big D 51
Apr 4, 2011, 06:55 AM
Never turn mine off.

cwelsh
Apr 4, 2011, 07:40 AM
I leave mine overnight. In fact, I never turn it off unless I am doing a hard reboot after installing the latest patch. I also use my iphone as my alarm clock so i need it to be on overnight.

Maskusee
Apr 4, 2011, 08:16 AM
I usually let the battery drain down to the point the iphone shuts off.
I leave it dead over night and then charge it back up next morning.

I try to do this once a month, usually friday late night to saturday morning.

Otherwise, my iphone is never off.

DocMarlor
Apr 4, 2011, 08:27 AM
Nope. Keep it plugged in on my night stand beside me and I usually listen to music til I fall asleep anyway.

centavar
Apr 4, 2011, 10:42 AM
I leave it on aeroplane mode when I go to sleep. Because I'm not on duty 24/7 and that hyperconnectivity is getting on my nerves. Where is the freaking privacy gone? I miss the world of paper-mail and landlines...:p

neko girl
Apr 4, 2011, 10:47 AM
I'm one of those weird people who sleep with their phones under their pillow so they don't miss texts. I have 3 phones.

titatom
Apr 4, 2011, 10:56 AM
nope ! mine is plugged all night and rings (alarm clock) in the morning, so I need it powered !

iApples
Apr 4, 2011, 10:56 AM
Yes and No plug it in then turn it off. It will still charge.

I didn't know that, I'll check it out and see if it works.

SS109
Apr 4, 2011, 08:45 PM
Nope, I use mine as my alarm clock.

imahawki
Nov 2, 2011, 01:12 PM
Work has called me at 3 am before, and if I didn't have the phone on, I imagine I probably wouldn't need to bother showing up for work the next morning. Also, since work pays my plan, it would be bad to have it off.

But... Why would you bother turning off your phone? Do you turn off your home phone every night? I suppose some people do, but it just seems like a bad idea to me.

-jt2
No, but my home phone doesn't buzz in the middle of the night when I get new emails. I am in the group of people who would love to be able to have automated notification profiles, but don't want to jailbreak.

Daniel L
Nov 2, 2011, 01:22 PM
I'm surprised the iPhone doesn't turn on with the alarm. I know blackberries do.

gloryunited
Nov 2, 2011, 01:40 PM
Steve prefers it to be called the sleep/wake button but not on/off. :p

kumquat
Nov 2, 2011, 04:07 PM
I put in on Airplane Mode. I downloaded the Sleep Talk app, but have only remembered to use it once. Ate my battery up that night, but I'd like to hear my dreams if I can only remember to turn it on again before conking out.

Fatboy71
Nov 2, 2011, 04:23 PM
I switch mine off.

I don't see the point in having my iPhone on through night has I plan to sleep, not receive calls/texts etc :)