Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sabr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
new york city
let me start by saying that i'm a big apple fan. i loved almost all of the products that i've bought over the years -- the g4 mdd, appletv, iphone, plethora of ipods, and imac 3.06ghz. all except.... my 2005 powermac g5.

am i the only one that hated my powermac g5? it would crash only occasionally, but frequently enough to irritate me. the terribly loud fans that would kick in. my GeForce 6600 video card died on the last month of my applecare, so i was fortunate enough to get it fixed under warranty. but now, its 2 months out of warranty, and my g5 always crashes after a minute of logging in. i've tried safe booting, re-installing the OS, doesn't work.

anybody else have a similar feelings and experiences about the powermac g5? i'm not even sure its worth getting fixed, but i'll take it to the apple store to get a price estimate.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
If its crashing all the time, then its probably something that can be fixed. I would almost bet you have some bad RAM or something causing that. I personally don't have anything against your G5. ;)

rdp5008

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Florida
I love my G5. I just wish it ran Aperture better.

I did have to replace the logic board though. Also, my monitor will randomly turn black for a few seconds. This happens mostly when I am running dual monitors.

I only bought the computer for $50 though, so I still don't have too much invested.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
It almost sounds like your machine is overheating. Try cleaning it out.

However, as mentioned, your liquid cooling is a problem.

Try having the pump and pipes replaced; they have been known to (and will eventually) burst, hosing the entire system. Perhaps this has already happened and has caused damage, I don't know.

I do know that this is not typical behavior from a G5, however. Someone mentioned bad memory; I doubt this, as RAM almost never goes bad-- it's either made that way, or it stays good-- but you might want to replace the hard drive if it's not an overheating problem.

Could you describe the crash? Is it at the same time every boot? Different times? Does it just shut off? Freeze? Can you successfully boot from CD?

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM never hurts, either. To do this, restart, and hold command+option+P+R until you hear the boot chime again, and keep holding it until you hear it once more (this resets the PRAM, and then the NVRAM with the second chime).
And yeah, if you don't want it, I'd be more than happy to have it :D

sabr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
new york city
firefly,

the crash happens at different times. sometimes its before the login screen, sometimes its 10min after i login. even when i boot from CD, it still causes problems. it functions fine in firewire target disk mode, which is how i migrated my data.

i've tried all the standard things, like resetting PRAM, swapping out RAM. those didn't solve the problem.

thanks for your tips, tho.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I adored my G5. It was utterly reliable. Had it not suffered an embarrassing fluidic discharge, we'd still be together now...

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I have had a Power Mac G5 1.8 Dual with GeForce 6800 Ultra, which I loved.
I followed that one up with the Power Mac G5 2.5 Quad with GeForce 7800 GT, which I adored... and still do!
I use a Mac Pro '08 as my main machine now, but my Quad G5 has a special place in my heart as it probably is the best PPC Mac ever made (certainly the gr8test...).

Both these Macs didn't crash in normal use.

And OMG... isn't the interior of the Power Mac G5 pretty... hmmm..!
Mac Pro is very, very nice... and much more practical... but just for looks... gimme a G5 interior any day. ;)

Digital Fury

macrumors member
I had one of those crash-prone 1.8 GHz G5 and a dual 2.5 GHz (IIRC) one; both were very noisy under heavy processing. I sold quickly my 2.7 GHz water-cooled when its leaking flaw was discovered.

My early '08 Mac Pro is my 3rd Mac Pro, which all have been flawless as far as I'm concerned. Beside the retarded "always behind by two years or at least one or two generations" video cards issue in a +$2000 computer, it truly is a close to perfect system.

Bottom line for me the Mac Pro are overall much better and reliable systems then the G5.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Jul 21, 2004
I loved my G5, but everything inside it died twice over and needed to be replaced. I ultimately got a free MacPro out of it...90 days after my Applecare was gone. :D Gotta love Steve.

zmttoxics

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
I love my late 2005 G5. Even under full load the fans never kick in - its the quietest computer I have ever owned.

rdp5008

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2006
Florida
I love my G5 so much that I am thinking about adding a second one to my stable. Maybe a 2.7 ghz G5? My 1.6 ghz needs a big brother.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
I love my G5 so much that I am thinking about adding a second one to my stable. Maybe a 2.7 ghz G5? My 1.6 ghz needs a big brother.

Interesting. I'm about to ebay my dual 2.7 g5. Not that I don't like it. It just doesn't get any use anymore since I primarily use a macbook pro.

Firefly2002

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2008
firefly,

the crash happens at different times. sometimes its before the login screen, sometimes its 10min after i login. even when i boot from CD, it still causes problems. it functions fine in firewire target disk mode, which is how i migrated my data.

i've tried all the standard things, like resetting PRAM, swapping out RAM. those didn't solve the problem.

thanks for your tips, tho.

If that's the case, then I'm willing to bet it's the hard drive, especially since it boots in target disk mode.

As a test, disconnect the hard drive and boot from the CD. Booting from CD can be problematic sometimes anyway, though; I'd really recommend buying a new HDD to replace what you've got now.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Loved my Dual 2.0GHz (original revision). It was quick, quiet and stable.

Unfortunately, it was owned by my office, so when I changed jobs I had to give it back. I bought a Dual 2.5GHz unit to replace it, and while it was fast and stable, it was (is) so freaking loud that I hated using it. I was very happy to replace it (first with a MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Core Duo, next with a Mac Pro quad 2.66GHz).

I've had it checked by Apple service - there's nothing wrong with it. Its the design of the stupid motherboard/RAM controller backside fan which revs up every time a significant block of RAM is accessed. Putting the machine in Reduced performance mode solves the fan issue but significantly slows the machine.

About 6 months ago, I set it up for my wife to use; within a month she demanded I replace it with a Mac mini.

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
I love my 3yo 2GHz box but now that it has just ran out of AppleCare I'm itching for a new computer even though it is still doing everything I need - so yeah, I'm trying to hate it for a new machine!

Realistically the next one I buy probably shouldn't be a Mac Pro because I hardly use this PM to it's potential but there's no choice if you want two HD's (for RAID) and run an ACD. Oh well! Maybe waiting will have Apple do another low end PowerMac type mistake like they did with the 1.8 single processor in the G5 that would suit me :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.