PDA

View Full Version : Mobilechat finally up!

Pages : [1] 2 3

kinchee87
Aug 12, 2008, 05:34 PM
Its uin the New Zealand app store. Have yet to install it.

juice831
Aug 12, 2008, 05:40 PM
link?

greenmymac
Aug 12, 2008, 05:41 PM
link?

Its not in the US Store and not in the New Zealand Store

Rojo
Aug 12, 2008, 05:46 PM
Argh! Don't get our hopes up like that!! :mad:

kinchee87
Aug 12, 2008, 05:51 PM
I'm not kidding you guys.

Edit:
Here's the link: MobileChat (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287479962&mt=8)

greenmymac
Aug 12, 2008, 05:55 PM
I'm not kidding you guys.

Edit:
Here's the link: MobileChat (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=287479962&mt=8)

WELL SHOOT YOUR RIGHT!

Rojo
Aug 12, 2008, 05:59 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

jaseone
Aug 12, 2008, 06:00 PM
Also available in the US store, just purchased and installed, setting up now :D

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 06:01 PM
nice.. now for all you guys to try it first and tell me if it sucks or not.. although $3.00 isnt that bad.. maybe i will DL it and not tell my hubby.. i HATE that our iTunes is on HIS credit cards!

srl7741
Aug 12, 2008, 06:02 PM
Great news, installing now.

jaseone
Aug 12, 2008, 06:04 PM
Dang it... locked up my iPhone when I snapped a pic of myself to use as my profile pic, it took the photo then sat there with the thinking symbol not moving, hit home to exit, no dice, held home to force quit and then the iPhone rebooted...

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 06:15 PM
ugh..i bought it, but it isn't downloading!! I keep clicking install now (through itunes) and it nothing happens!

jpeso2525
Aug 12, 2008, 06:22 PM
Purchased, download, installed, and now logged on! Worth the wait. The push system is amazing!

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 06:25 PM
hoe is the push amazing?? there IS NO PUCH YET!!

i downloaded it. hopefully it will be worth it. $3, i know. but still.. I'm logged in.

My question is, when in landscape mode, you cant read the coversation?? is it supposed to be like that?

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 06:26 PM
ahh now i'm getting "can not connect to mobil chat"

Warbrain
Aug 12, 2008, 06:27 PM
hoe is the push amazing?? there IS NO PUCH YET!!

i downloaded it. hopefully it will be worth it. $3, i know. but still.. I'm logged in.

My question is, when in landscape mode, you cant read the coversation?? is it supposed to be like that?

It's not push but rather a server connection being open on their end and then being reopened on the iPhone end.

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 06:28 PM
AIM does that, doesnt it??

jpeso2525
Aug 12, 2008, 06:31 PM
Push SMS. I have unlimited texts, therefore every time someone IM's me, I receive an IM, and then open up IM and go to it.

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 06:32 PM
gotcha.. its not true push though..

WHY WHY WHY am i getting a CAN NOT CONNECT TO MOBIL CHAT error?

kwjohns
Aug 12, 2008, 06:33 PM
Just my luck...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/kaje103/giftcards.jpg

:(

TechIsCool
Aug 12, 2008, 06:41 PM
Just my luck...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v57/kaje103/giftcards.jpg

:(

LOL i got the same thing try it again

Warbrain
Aug 12, 2008, 06:43 PM
Might just bite the bullet and buy it now.

rockstarguy
Aug 12, 2008, 06:46 PM
idk if it was supposed to do this, but it showed a red circle with a "1" in it like i just got a new IM on the MC tile... didn't think it was allowed to do this til they get that update.

i just wish it would show if my friends were mobile or not.

MattZani
Aug 12, 2008, 06:50 PM
Sweet, i'll download this now!

Its £1.79 in the Uk.

superstrikertwo
Aug 12, 2008, 06:53 PM
gotcha.. its not true push though..

WHY WHY WHY am i getting a CAN NOT CONNECT TO MOBIL CHAT error?

There's a message that comes up when you start MobileChat saying for the next 48-72 hours it might be a little buggy while they adjust the servers to accommodate everyone.

rhs7787
Aug 12, 2008, 06:56 PM
There's a message that comes up when you start MobileChat saying for the next 48-72 hours it might be a little buggy while they adjust the servers to accommodate everyone.

I apologize but I am a little confused. If your using it for AIM, is it different in some way or is it pretty much the same? I know with AIM you actually have to go into the app to see if you received any IM's. Is this app the same?

Wolf103FM
Aug 12, 2008, 07:03 PM
Great Success!!!!:D

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 07:04 PM
mobilchat is similar to AIM in that you just set up your AIM account (username and password) and then you have all of your buddies and stuff right there. Looks a lot like the AIM UI, but it has the ability to add a picture to your message, although it ads a LINK to a picture, and not an ACTUAL picture, which is what i was hoping for..

you DO have to open the app to see your IMs, nothing has push just yet.. HOWEVER, mobilchat gives you the option to have a notification to be sent to your through SMS to tell you that you have a new IM.

MattZani
Aug 12, 2008, 07:07 PM
Seems if the Touch sleeps, or you press home, you are signed out, which is abit lame.....

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 07:12 PM
yea, its not SUPPOSED to do that.. its SUPPOSED to keep you logged in> must be a glitch that they anticipated (instead of fixing it before it went up)

I had the same thing. i went back to the app and it said i was offline. NOT what i wanted, and AIM keep syou logged in for a little while atleast.

MattZani
Aug 12, 2008, 07:14 PM
hmm, looks like i will be using eBuddy until it keeps me signed in.

Ahwell, dont really need this until i get my 3G iPhone, just wanted as a novelty.

trunksu
Aug 12, 2008, 07:17 PM
LoL i never thought i'd see this day. :p i'm going to wait till it settles down though

rhs7787
Aug 12, 2008, 07:18 PM
mobilchat is similar to AIM in that you just set up your AIM account (username and password) and then you have all of your buddies and stuff right there. Looks a lot like the AIM UI, but it has the ability to add a picture to your message, although it ads a LINK to a picture, and not an ACTUAL picture, which is what i was hoping for..

you DO have to open the app to see your IMs, nothing has push just yet.. HOWEVER, mobilchat gives you the option to have a notification to be sent to your through SMS to tell you that you have a new IM.

Well an SMS alert is better than no alert. I'll wait to purchase this once they fix the sign out problem. Looks like its supposed to keep you signed in. Thanks for the clarification!

iTeen
Aug 12, 2008, 07:18 PM
Just bought this...and I won't have a iPod Touch till' the September updates. :D

juice831
Aug 12, 2008, 07:20 PM
it's a little slow for me right now but has kept me logged in for the most part. I restarted my phone to see if it keeps the session alive but now it says "can't connect to mobile chat"

koobcamuk
Aug 12, 2008, 07:24 PM
I want to know what happens when you go back to the home screen after leaving your status as signed in...

wonderbread57
Aug 12, 2008, 07:35 PM
Webcam (viewing) support would be an impressive feature.

slapppy
Aug 12, 2008, 07:40 PM
Their servers must be getting hammered. I still get that can't connect to Mobile Chat. Hope they get it sorted out faster than MobileMe. :rolleyes:

bbotte
Aug 12, 2008, 07:43 PM
does this app use your text messages like aim does?

Monty1
Aug 12, 2008, 07:46 PM
don't laugh at me but...im not too sure what push service is. Can someone explain it to me please?

Daiden
Aug 12, 2008, 07:49 PM
does this app use your text messages like aim does?

... AIM doesn't use your text messages. MobileChat doesn't either.

Daiden
Aug 12, 2008, 07:50 PM
don't laugh at me but...im not too sure what push service is. Can someone explain it to me please?

Push can be different things for different programs. For MobileChat it just means that when you get an IM, it notifies you (currently through email or SMS, but in the future through a badge on the iPhone/iPod Touch home screen).

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 07:54 PM
thing of the terms PUSH and PULL literally..

Right now the iphone is PULL only, which means the iphone has to be told to go out and GET any new data.. which means if you have an IM client, then you have to tell the iphone to GET the data (or pull it) by opening the app.

PUSH is the opposite. Instead of the iphone having to go and get the data, every time there is a change, the data is PUSHED through to the iphone, meaning you do not have to open the app to get it, instead, you get a little number that says how many new items you have waiting for you. In this case, how many new IMs.

Diversion
Aug 12, 2008, 08:03 PM
I'm assuming they are "supposed" to be using a proxy server to keep your connection alive, server-side (MobileChat's server).. so even if you sleep/leave the application, they are keeping your connection alive.. so that when you re-enter the application, it will download the IMs you missed while you were out of the program.

That's what I read they planned on doing.. disappointing they don't have this ability right now on launch. This doesn't have a need for Push to make this happen.

Jay

havenhamilton
Aug 12, 2008, 08:12 PM
Has anyone tried out the IM to phone number option? What does it display on the other persons end? If this works well and displays your phone number i will def buy it.

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 08:13 PM
diversion.. we know that what they have now doesnt REQUIRE push, but it is in the future..

also, they send you an SMS for every im that you receive when you do not have the app opened.. unfortunately, right now, you will not receive any because it is loggin you out every time you close the app

mattpreston11
Aug 12, 2008, 08:14 PM
so is this app worth buying now or should i leave it for a bit?

still waiting for fring to become avaibale really.

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 08:14 PM
Has anyone tried out the IM to phone number option? What does it display on the other persons end? If this works well and displays your phone number i will def buy it.

it DOES NOT display your phone number when you send an IM to a phone number. it does the same as AIM.

havenhamilton
Aug 12, 2008, 08:16 PM
it DOES NOT display your phone number when you send an IM to a phone number. it does the same as AIM.

i've never used aim in that way, what does it display?

chicubfan
Aug 12, 2008, 08:24 PM
when you add a google talk account do you enter just your username or your whole gmail address (xxxx@gmail.com)?

I've entered my accounts but haven't gotten it to connect to mobilechat yet.

jarrodtb
Aug 12, 2008, 08:44 PM
in the demo video, why does he put a plus sign before his phone number?

opticalserenity
Aug 12, 2008, 08:45 PM
You figure for as long as we had jailbroken software these guys did it for free, now all they ask is $2.99, and out of that they get only 70%, guys...come on...throw them a bone for good software.

coolb0yalex
Aug 12, 2008, 08:46 PM
honestly, i am disappointed in this product. For $2.99, they should of made everything much more, well, smooth. When the product was in the Installer, it was free and even the icon looks better. I'd stick with the free solution (AIM) for now because they will eventually come out with the push-notification and all my contacts are on AIM. In the end, I just hope they update this product to be more visually stunning and not just another AIM client that looks exactly like the free solution. Just my 2 cents.

JordanMiller
Aug 12, 2008, 08:47 PM
Unable to connect :( I guess I'll try it again tomorrow.

DrakeSavage
Aug 12, 2008, 08:48 PM
in the demo video, why does he put a plus sign before his phone number?

was wondering the same thing

LtRammstein
Aug 12, 2008, 08:49 PM
The + is used for the country code. He probably has friends overseas who has an iPhone.

Why pay 2.99 USD for this when Palringo is free and does pretty much the same thing?

bbplayer5
Aug 12, 2008, 08:52 PM
Did you guys even bother to read the pop up window? Chill out while they load up more servers.

Parlingo does not do the same thing at all... This keeps you active when you close the program and SMSs you when you get a message.

LtRammstein
Aug 12, 2008, 08:59 PM
When Apple releases the update to allow us to close apps and still be connected via servers, I'll be happy keeping my 3 bucks.

Warbrain
Aug 12, 2008, 09:02 PM
was wondering the same thing

Country code.

queshy
Aug 12, 2008, 09:03 PM
nice.. now for all you guys to try it first and tell me if it sucks or not.. although $3.00 isnt that bad.. maybe i will DL it and not tell my hubby.. i HATE that our iTunes is on HIS credit cards!

You could always make a new iTunes account :)

I'm probably gonna download it though I don't really trust these guys to be honest.

SnowLeopard2008
Aug 12, 2008, 09:11 PM
I wish this was free... Palringo gives it a run for its money. So does AIM. But this is a great GUI, but pricey for just a IM client.

Stile
Aug 12, 2008, 09:13 PM
What I'm wondering is can you still listen to music while this thing is running? Palringo is OK, but your music stops playing when it starts.

bbplayer5
Aug 12, 2008, 09:18 PM
3 dollars is pricey? Its the price of an effing drink at a bar... Stop being so damn cheap and go get a job!

iLeoMarc
Aug 12, 2008, 09:19 PM
What I'm wondering is can you still listen to music while this thing is running? Palringo is OK, but your music stops playing when it starts.

Palringo fixed it in v1.1 update

trunksu
Aug 12, 2008, 09:23 PM
for those who haven't visited the homepage of mobilechat...

Ladies and Gentlemen…we’re live on AppStore.

We have a number of confirmations from New Zealand users that MobileChat is on the AppStore.

This is great news for our users and TERRIBLE news for us. While we’re excited that it’s on AppStore. We had no idea that the push behind MobileChat was so big! Our server load is going through the roof as I write this email and we’re quickly beginning to feel the heat.

With that being said, I just want all of our users to know that we are a very SMALL company. (There’s really only 2 of us!) As a result, we’re struggling to keep up with the demand and scale as we need. (This is a good problem.)

We will have a support site up ASAP to answer your many questions. In the meantime, please email support@twenty08.com if you should have any questions.

-Saverio

P.S: We’re all very excited! Please bare with us during this time while we recover from the initial AppStore beating!

UPDATE: We will be provisioning new servers throughout the night to improve stability. We took the precautionary measure of ordering a few servers over the past few weeks while we awaited our launch, so we won’t have to wait for our datacenter to provision new servers. Please be advised that as we provision new servers, you will be disconnected and reconnected sporadically. Again, we ask that our users bare with us and the service as we continue to handle the load.

Xavier
Aug 12, 2008, 09:29 PM
Does it run in the background?

trunksu
Aug 12, 2008, 09:30 PM
Does it run in the background?

no app runs in the background. do u mean maybe in sleep mode? or are you referring to push?

nfg315
Aug 12, 2008, 09:32 PM
3 dollars is pricey? Its the price of an effing drink at a bar... Stop being so damn cheap and go get a job!

haha thats like half a drink here in nyc...

diesel
Aug 12, 2008, 09:33 PM
for those who haven't visited the homepage of mobilechat...

Ladies and Gentlemen…we’re live on AppStore.

We have a number of confirmations from New Zealand users that MobileChat is on the AppStore.

This is great news for our users and TERRIBLE news for us. While we’re excited that it’s on AppStore. We had no idea that the push behind MobileChat was so big! Our server load is going through the roof as I write this email and we’re quickly beginning to feel the heat.

With that being said, I just want all of our users to know that we are a very SMALL company. (There’s really only 2 of us!) As a result, we’re struggling to keep up with the demand and scale as we need. (This is a good problem.)

We will have a support site up ASAP to answer your many questions. In the meantime, please email support@twenty08.com if you should have any questions.

-Saverio

P.S: We’re all very excited! Please bare with us during this time while we recover from the initial AppStore beating!

UPDATE: We will be provisioning new servers throughout the night to improve stability. We took the precautionary measure of ordering a few servers over the past few weeks while we awaited our launch, so we won’t have to wait for our datacenter to provision new servers. Please be advised that as we provision new servers, you will be disconnected and reconnected sporadically. Again, we ask that our users bare with us and the service as we continue to handle the load.

what's up with these guys? weren't they just not too long ago whining about how apple was delaying the release of their app and blaming apple for the delay on their development blog, saying it could be released any day now.....any day now, and now that it's been released, they are basically asking people to be patient because they are somewhat unprepared and need to wait for their datacenter to provision the new servers......i find it funny that they blame apple and now their datacenter but of course, they had the good sense to order servers long time ago but now the datacenter is more or less at fault in provisioning the new servers? puhlease

gcmexico
Aug 12, 2008, 09:37 PM
how is this different than AIM app? does it use your text msgs from At&t?

MarceePauff
Aug 12, 2008, 09:39 PM
It's bear! BEAR with us.

/peeve.

slapppy
Aug 12, 2008, 09:42 PM
Well that was a disappointing launch. Not a good way to have your product come out of the gate and fail right off the bat.

AHDuke99
Aug 12, 2008, 09:43 PM
LOL Not surprised. I bought this and I can't connect. They blame Apple for not releasing it and now they blame them for releasing it and crashing their servers.

=Shadow=
Aug 12, 2008, 09:45 PM
I won't buy this app since it doesn't seem worth buying an IM client when I already have one that was free and suits my needs. Now, if this was AgileMessenger from Installer that we were talking about...

(Please port that and put it on Installer or Cydia!)

Stile
Aug 12, 2008, 09:45 PM

A freakin Mocha costs more than $3.

diesel
Aug 12, 2008, 09:46 PM
Did you guys even bother to read the pop up window? Chill out while they load up more servers.

Parlingo does not do the same thing at all... This keeps you active when you close the program and SMSs you when you get a message.

if you ask others to chill out, please do not give out FALSE info. mobilechat will only sms you for aim messages and not for yahoo, msn, or gmail messages. This makes it pretty much useless, because guess what, AIM already has a sms messaging system and has had it for a long time, long before mobilechat and the iphone came along (that i'm pretty sure mobilechat is pretty much leveraging as opposed to building something proprietary), where you can setup the desktop AIM client to SMS your mobile with any messages. For yahoo, msn, or gmail, mobilechat is simply waiting for the Apple push service in Setember so mobilechat didn't really do anything special.

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 09:50 PM
yea, definitely annoyed with the fact that they STILL arent ready.

diesel
Aug 12, 2008, 09:52 PM
By the way if anyone is interested in my quick observation/review of mobilechat (i purchased it earlier tonight before people really knew it was available and was able to play with it for like half an hour), i posted it over at everythingicafe at:

http://www.everythingicafe.com/forum/iphone-app-store/mobilechat-is-in-the-app-store-now-34635.html

I'm pretty critical of the app considering its a paid app (cheap but still paid app), and also because of the childish and somewhat unprofessional manner in which the developers conducted themselves leading up to the launch but i have hope for the app and hope that the developers will stop whining and start developing something worth praising and keeping

Xavier
Aug 12, 2008, 09:58 PM
no app runs in the background. do u mean maybe in sleep mode? or are you referring to push?

Ah yes, thanks for clearing that up. Hopefully Push is sooner than later, come on Apple!

naroola
Aug 12, 2008, 10:02 PM

More like a sip of a drink out here in NYC. :)

SnowLeopard2008
Aug 12, 2008, 10:13 PM

pricey when compared with other existing IM clients. Like Palringo, AIM, etc.. learn to read then get a job.

megatron0069
Aug 12, 2008, 10:18 PM
Palringo works great and just got a update to stop blocking your ipod from playing. It's FREE too.

deannnnn
Aug 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
NICEEE!
Very well thought out.

Quincy9219
Aug 12, 2008, 10:34 PM
Palringo works great and just got a update to stop blocking your ipod from playing. It's FREE too.

It's also extremely glitchy, annoying, requires a proprietary account on top of your IM accounts, and is overall unimpressive. On the other hand, MobileChat is not free, not expensive, but not free. In the end I might break and go for MobileChat, but I'm going to wait a little while longer to see if one of the jailbreak apps comes over for free :cool:

tjespo22
Aug 12, 2008, 10:37 PM
so can you lock the phone and go on other apps and go back to aim and your convosations will be there? what if people i.med you when you werent in the app, will they show up?
thanks
espo

iLeoMarc
Aug 12, 2008, 11:12 PM
so can you lock the phone and go on other apps and go back to aim and your convosations will be there? what if people i.med you when you werent in the app, will they show up?
thanks
espo

Yes, due to the fact that the servers which backup the app keeps you logged in and saves messages. It is the same theory behind AIM, though AIM only keeps you logged in to their servers for about 15 minutes (last time I checked). This keeps you logged in, according to the developers, indefinitely; of-course until you decide to sign off. Palringo, does not perform this task (last I checked it will automatically sign you off your messenger protocols once you exit the app). Therefore this app is not just a paid version of Palringo, it is a little bit more.

Wigletbill
Aug 12, 2008, 11:21 PM

I wouldn't call people cheap if you are buying $3 drinks at bar. :)

TXCraig
Aug 12, 2008, 11:24 PM
This brings up a good question. Since I purchased an app from the app store and DOES NOT WORK, can I request a refund from Apple? This app should be removed from the store until it works.

lindsayanng
Aug 12, 2008, 11:33 PM
Yes, due to the fact that the servers which backup the app keeps you logged in and saves messages. It is the same theory behind AIM, though AIM only keeps you logged in to their servers for about 15 minutes (last time I checked). This keeps you logged in, according to the developers, indefinitely; of-course until you decide to sign off. Palringo, does not perform this task (last I checked it will automatically sign you off your messenger protocols once you exit the app). Therefore this app is not just a paid version of Palringo, it is a little bit more.

this is all "in theory" because right now, no one has been able to stay logged in after closing the app.

eff pc
Aug 12, 2008, 11:35 PM
ill just wait for push service from the free aim app (i may seem cheap but its not a big deal to wait like another month. i made it this long without aim and now that i have aim without push aim. the iphone is getting there and everything will be push in september. just waiting for that day so i can download the update and have a bricked iphone for a few hours when the servers overload yet again.

iLeoMarc
Aug 12, 2008, 11:42 PM
this is all "in theory" because right now, no one has been able to stay logged in after closing the app.

Not theory, more like taking what the developers has consistently said as fact. Also taking into account early beta testers of the application, which has made numerous efforts to reveal the features of the app prior to release.

And what I have said in my earlier post, I don't claim to know that I personally experience it just from what I have gathered. But AIM and Palringo in my original posting is first hand experience.

celebi23
Aug 12, 2008, 11:54 PM
This brings up a good question. Since I purchased an app from the app store and DOES NOT WORK, can I request a refund from Apple? This app should be removed from the store until it works.

Here's an idea, maybe read the rest of the comments or even the developer's website http://tumblr.twenty08.com

They're having server issues. Far more demand/ traffic than they were ready for. Part of it was Apple not being clear as to when the app would go live on the AppStore

wronski
Aug 13, 2008, 12:01 AM
Here's an idea, maybe read the rest of the comments or even the developer's website http://tumblr.twenty08.com

They're having server issues. Far more demand/ traffic than they were ready for. Part of it was Apple not being clear as to when the app would go live on the AppStore

It's irrelevant whether or not the problem is going to be fixed soon or not. If it's not working as advertised (it's not right now) it's interesting to see if Apple would give a refund. I bought it and am waiting patiently as it's no necessity for me right now, however, if this goes on long/happens frequently/doesn't get fixed I would be wanting my money back too.

Right now I think it's odd that I can't even use it as a standard chat app, without any server features. It's also not flattering to see the same error show up 3 times in a row (usability/UI problems are apparent already).

Pooshka
Aug 13, 2008, 12:14 AM
http://www.vulomedia.com/images/68296IMG_0002.png

Quincy9219
Aug 13, 2008, 12:23 AM
Lol, obviously this was rather popular. This doesn't surprise me

gibbyparada
Aug 13, 2008, 12:26 AM
It's also extremely glitchy, annoying, requires a proprietary account on top of your IM accounts, and is overall unimpressive. On the other hand, MobileChat is not free, not expensive, but not free. In the end I might break and go for MobileChat, but I'm going to wait a little while longer to see if one of the jailbreak apps comes over for free :cool:

and Mobile chat is also extremely glitchy, annoying, and unimpressive. Palringo just got an update, the glitchyness is gone, and, now it has Vocal IM.

Saladinos
Aug 13, 2008, 12:33 AM
I don't like the idea that an app that has a username/email address and password of mine connects to private servers. I want something like AIM for WLM. Something that connects to the IM servers and nothing else.

Not only is it safer, but it's less likely to fail.

diesel
Aug 13, 2008, 12:39 AM

you kidding me? you're trying to make the case that apple was not being clear as to when the app would go live, hence they were not ready for it? WTF? they were whining and pissing on apple about the length of time in getting the app up, according to their somewhat dubious claim of submitting the app during the last week of July, and in fact expected the app to go live last wednesday, which leads any reasonable person to conclude that THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN PREPARED LAST WEEK. yet you will make the point because apple was late in releasing the app, that that's the reason for being unprepared? you ******** me?

Quincy9219
Aug 13, 2008, 12:40 AM
and Mobile chat is also extremely glitchy, annoying, and unimpressive. Palringo just got an update, the glitchyness is gone, and, now it has Vocal IM.

I haven't heard good things about Palringo, even with the update. And the proprietary account for something that is so glitchy and poor quality turns me off to it. MobileChat has a lot more potential, and vocal IM, WTF, it's called a freakin phone call. If you want to talk, use the phone function, if you have the option.

diesel
Aug 13, 2008, 12:43 AM
I haven't heard good things about Palringo, even with the update. And the proprietary account for something that is so glitchy and poor quality turns me off to it. MobileChat has a lot more potential, and vocal IM, WTF, it's called a freakin phone call. If you want to talk, use the phone function, if you have the option.

vocal im allows one to be anonymous..............probably why its popular on the desktop versions. allows the pervs in the worlds to well, get pervier

marksman
Aug 13, 2008, 12:57 AM
Lol, obviously this was rather popular. This doesn't surprise me

There is no actual evidence of how many people they could have supported.

I suspect they should have easily planned to support more than they did.

It is tiresome to hear their talk about being a small shop.

Nobody cares.... All that does is make me want to not buy their application because besides being undermanned they come across as incompetent in some areas.

I certainly don't trust them to run servers. Being an application developer and server admin have nothing to do with each other. Seeing how there is only two of them, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they have the resources or skills necessary to properly maintain multiple servers to do what they want them to do.

They are way in over their heads at this point, that is how it looks from here anyways. So we shall see when the dust settles. By then I assume some professional im suite developers will have products available and I can say I saved myself $4.00.

I am not concerned about the money, I just don't think the application is going to work in any reasonably consistent manner for a while.

If in 6 months mobilechat is a top 3-5 IM app for the iPhone I will be shocked.

diesel
Aug 13, 2008, 01:07 AM
There is no actual evidence of how many people they could have supported.

I suspect they should have easily planned to support more than they did.

It is tiresome to hear their talk about being a small shop.

Nobody cares.... All that does is make me want to not buy their application because besides being undermanned they come across as incompetent in some areas.

I certainly don't trust them to run servers. Being an application developer and server admin have nothing to do with each other. Seeing how there is only two of them, it is HIGHLY unlikely that they have the resources or skills necessary to properly maintain multiple servers to do what they want them to do.

They are way in over their heads at this point, that is how it looks from here anyways. So we shall see when the dust settles. By then I assume some professional im suite developers will have products available and I can say I saved myself $4.00.

I am not concerned about the money, I just don't think the application is going to work in any reasonably consistent manner for a while.

If in 6 months mobilechat is a top 3-5 IM app for the iPhone I will be shocked.

yes. what ticks me off about them is how they casually shrug off blame and try to pass it on to their "partners" or vendors. first apple, and now they seem to be blaming their data center for not being ready. they can say what they want, sugar coat it all they want, but ultimately it was bad planning on their part and there seems to be a lot of "fan boys" that are singing their praises regardless, and thereby giving them the sense that they can do no wrong. if it was a free app, i wouldn't even bother but once you begin charging money, then they need to man up and conduct themselves more professionally. Also, the app was so hyped up, i was expecting a production quality, polished app, but based on the time i spent with the app, it was a big disappointment. it was obviously a rush job and very poorly thought out and even poorly executed.

i paid my 3 bucks but feel like i got 3 cents worth of goods. i expect them to get their act together in the very NEAR future so that i can begin to sing some praises as well for their work.

phannon666
Aug 13, 2008, 01:45 AM
No thanks, Palringo does all these things barring push, which could easily come in an update as no-one can support push yet. I'd rather not waste £1.79 for a near identical app.

Niiro13
Aug 13, 2008, 01:54 AM
No thanks, Palringo does all these things barring push, which could easily come in an update as no-one can support push yet. I'd rather not waste £1.79 for a near identical app.

Except Palringo cannot edit status message as well as profile

But the main important thing...tap the home button. You're instantly signed out of Palringo.

Tap the home button for MobileChat, and you're still online. Messages received in this state are queued up. Once you return to the application, you receive all those messages. And no longer do we have to suffer the 15 minutes of login for AIM. MobileChat promises being logged on until you tap the logout button.

So there is no identical application. I'd prefer even beejive over Palringo (which beejive also queues up the messages...and it's a web app!)

DonSqueak
Aug 13, 2008, 02:42 AM
pricey when compared with other existing IM clients. Like Palringo, AIM, etc.. learn to read then get a job.

So basically you're saying that if something costs anything at all, it's pricey? If you compare $3 to $0 it's a difference of $3. If a difference so small is what makes something pricey for you, by all means one COULD argue that you're a bit cheap.

If you say that compared to "for free" a reasonably priced app is "pricey", you get your semantics all wrong. That way, a 20 cent bun would be considered pricey; you'd have to agree that this is a tad ridiculous if you're not living in Somalia that is.

I'd still advise you to get a job if you don't have one already, it helps getting along, and maybe you'll tire in the evening and don't give grief to ppl.

Cheers, dsq.

coolb0yalex
Aug 13, 2008, 02:43 AM
Except Palringo cannot edit status message as well as profile

But the main important thing...tap the home button. You're instantly signed out of Palringo.

Tap the home button for MobileChat, and you're still online. Messages received in this state are queued up. Once you return to the application, you receive all those messages. And no longer do we have to suffer the 15 minutes of login for AIM. MobileChat promises being logged on until you tap the logout button.

So there is no identical application. I'd prefer even beejive over Palringo (which beejive also queues up the messages...and it's a web app!)

the 'queue' is also in AIM. i never had a 15 minute login for AIM. maybe you didn't update your application? I just find it to be overpriced. I mean , cmon, there are many free alternatives.

mixel
Aug 13, 2008, 02:46 AM
though I partly agree these guys look unprofessional right now.. Give them a little slack.. Apple had much bigger issues with MM, and they should have been able to predict how much traffic /that/ would get. ;)

I'd like something more like adium without the middleman - the fact it can go down at all like this will likely remain mc's biggest drawback.. I'd want them to add a direct mode to make it the definative multi network client.

Niiro13
Aug 13, 2008, 03:16 AM
the 'queue' is also in AIM. i never had a 15 minute login for AIM. maybe you didn't update your application? I just find it to be overpriced. I mean , cmon, there are many free alternatives.

Sorry, it's early in the morning.

I meant to say that AIM only keeps you logged in for about fifteen minutes when the application isn't running. Then it signs you out.

dranakin
Aug 13, 2008, 03:55 AM
I'm looking to buy this as soon as they get the servers fixed. Closest thing to push sounds good. You think they may raise the price of the app, though?

Malcster
Aug 13, 2008, 04:30 AM
Seems to be back up in a limited fashion at the moment.

Its pretty buggy though, its crashed on me twice and when i got one of my passwords incorrect on one of the accounts, i went back to edit it and my accounts were just 3 white blocks on the accounts page which i couldn't edit or even view!

queshy
Aug 13, 2008, 04:33 AM
the app just opens and crashes! Useless!

razorianfly
Aug 13, 2008, 04:40 AM
The servers seem to be running stable currently, messages are slightly delayed, but ... hopefully .. it's back up.

I'll publish a review shortly, once I've had time to familiarize myself with the app and how it functions.

the app just opens and crashes! Useless!

Running mine for me, try turning on/off.

R-Fly

queshy
Aug 13, 2008, 04:51 AM
The servers seem to be running stable currently, messages are slightly delayed, but ... hopefully .. it's back up.

I'll publish a review shortly, once I've had time to familiarize myself with the app and how it functions.

Running mine for me, try turning on/off.

R-Fly

Did a reinstall. Thanks. Works not (but not really).

I made a new MSN account because none of my contacts are online at this hour...the new contact does not add to my current list. I want my $3.00 back...

queshy
Aug 13, 2008, 04:53 AM
still "cannot connect to mobilechat" urg

lindstrom
Aug 13, 2008, 04:59 AM

Read you post and tried to connect. Worked on the 1st try. App is rather buggy though. Crashed on me once when I was flipping through the tabs and options. I think that it has potential though.

razorianfly
Aug 13, 2008, 04:59 AM

MC3 requires a persistent connection to Wifi.

I was also experiencing that message, then I switched to Wifi.

R-Fly

queshy
Aug 13, 2008, 05:06 AM

R-Fly

I'm in now. Been on a stable wifi connection the whole time. It better work on 3G!

Also, howcome my e-mail notifications aren't working?

lindstrom
Aug 13, 2008, 05:14 AM
I'm in now. Been on a stable wifi connection the whole time. It better work on 3G!

Also, how come my e-mail notifications aren't working?

I used MC on GPRS as I don't have any EDGE cover where I am at the moment. Worked for me so far.

Ol!ver
Aug 13, 2008, 05:15 AM

R-Fly

So it doesn't work over 3G?

queshy
Aug 13, 2008, 05:16 AM
how exactly do the e-mail notifications work? I'm on my home screen, messaging myself from my Mac and I'm not getting any e-mails.

LinMac
Aug 13, 2008, 05:36 AM
An IM application for the iPhone shouldn't really need a server side component other than the MSN, AIM, or other servers that the application contacts directly. This type of situation is largely Apple's fault for not allowing any applications except their own to run in the background. (Thread here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=539865) about it.)

There are just a few concerns about all this:

1) How secure are the MobileChat servers?

Your IM username and password are sent to these servers on a regular basis. That type of information could be very important if you use IM for more than casual conversations with friends.

2) How reliable are the MobileChat servers going to be for the next 6 months - 4 years?

MobileMe and other services have taught us that the "cloud" may not be as reliable as we hope it will be. MobileChat might be just fine, but can we be certain?

3) How will the people behind MobileChat pay for the servers necessary to power the service?

Development of an application takes time and effort. This time is paid for by the sale of an application while updates are covered by the profit of the application.

X hours of the development of 1.0 = XX% of retail price
X hours of future development for 1.x updates = XX% of retail price

Servers necessary to handle hundreds of thousands or more connections at the same time will be a significant cost. These server costs will be permanent as the application (seems to) need the servers to connect at all. Will the servers be online in a few years? Will there be a monthly fee for the service?

I have a lot of questions before I buy this application, but it does look promising for now.

razorianfly
Aug 13, 2008, 06:04 AM
So it doesn't work over 3G?

I'm not saying it doesn't support edge or 3G [full stop] ..., as I just updated on my blog, when trying to connect using Edge or 3G I received a 'Cannot connect to Mobile Chat' as Queshy did.
When I switched the network over to my home Wifi network, I was signed into the MSN network, successfully.

The current server issues wouldn't stop the service from being able to function over 3G or Edge, so I'd assume this is not yet available.

Still, it's a pretty solid application compared to it's competition.
Worth £2 anyway.

R-Fly

Dingo Dave 69
Aug 13, 2008, 06:09 AM
Can someone please tell me why this app is getting so much attention, surely Paringo does the same thing, plus it's free?

razorianfly
Aug 13, 2008, 06:19 AM
Can someone please tell me why this app is getting so much attention, surely Paringo does the same thing, plus it's free?

- Slightly more polished UI than Parlingo
- Will use push when release by Apple (September - message alerts/badges when app is closed)
- Buddy icon support
- IM a phone number
- Alternative to MMS (photo support)
- Away message settings

Those are the main reasons it's caught people's attention.

R-Fly

TwiceNightly
Aug 13, 2008, 06:24 AM
Just been having a play about with this, seems very nice but one thing occurred to me....

Say I want to sign into AIM using my MobileMe account, well I'm basically sending my email/mobileme account username and password to their servers - not too happy about that tbh and for AOL I may well stick with the official app for that reason.

babyj
Aug 13, 2008, 06:38 AM
The + is used for the country code. He probably has friends overseas who has an iPhone.

Not necessarily.

If you enter all (and I mean all) of your phone numbers as international numbers (ie + then country code then area code then number) then they will work no matter where you are in the world. So if you travel a lot it saves you having to edit your phone numbers before calling them.

I do it even with all of my UK phone numbers, they just dial as normal when I'm in the UK and abroad. You don't get charged anything extra for dialling them as international numbers.

notnek
Aug 13, 2008, 06:53 AM
I'd stick with the free solution (AIM) for now because they will eventually come out with the push-notification and all my contacts are on AIM.

how are you contacts in AIM but not in MC?

as long as you setup an AIM account on MC, you'll see all of your contacts.

and for push notifications, MC will have them when apple allows it, but for now you get SMS or Email updates. i think that's enough for $3.

kjs862
Aug 13, 2008, 07:02 AM
I think i'll stick to the free AIM application.

born4sky
Aug 13, 2008, 07:09 AM
I'll wait for the Trillian

AustinSTI
Aug 13, 2008, 07:14 AM
I'll wait for the Trillian

I'd wait or get something else. I haven't been able to establish a connection ONCE.

Edit: It works...reinstall...

Edit2: No dice again - 'can't connect to mobile chat'

Note: It works over 3g....at least once.

TwiceNightly
Aug 13, 2008, 07:16 AM
Nothing works at all now, can you get refunds on apps? If so how do you go about it?

iSimx
Aug 13, 2008, 07:17 AM
sounds great! might purchase although I wish there was a skype client as I use that mainly to chat to people...

ok - after everyones negative reviews, I might not get it :D

domness
Aug 13, 2008, 07:30 AM
This app has been a complete let down!

After watching the blog for a number of weeks and seeing the release early on today, I thought "Yes!". However, now I've bought the app and tried it, I just want a complete refund.

The GUI is boring. It lags alot. After reinstalling, turning my phone off and on alot, it still crashes 100% of the time in different places.

Come on, Palringo has just seen a new update and the features on that FREE app are amazing! Can't MobileChat at least prove to be worth it with it's cost?

Yeh, the "push" effect and the server may be good.. but will we now be expecting lots of maintenance and down time?

To all those who don't know whether to get it or not.. it's really not worthit. Stick to Palringo.

queshy
Aug 13, 2008, 07:56 AM
The only thing good about the app is that the icon is nice.

Can't keep a solid connection even over wifi. E-mail notifications don't work. They're getting a few days to iron this out...after that I'm calling Apple to get a refund on this one...

JML42691
Aug 13, 2008, 08:02 AM
Figuring I only use AIM, could somebody explain to me what the differences are between AIM's app and this app that make this app worth the purchase? I am only on an iPod, so MMS is not of a concern to me. So what is it about this app that make it worth the $2.99?

HyQuality
Aug 13, 2008, 08:04 AM
This only works over WIFI??? Whats the point then? I want to be able to use my IM client on the go... not only when I'm near a free wifi hotspot. That's just silly.

AustinSTI
Aug 13, 2008, 08:11 AM
This only works over WIFI??? Whats the point then? I want to be able to use my IM client on the go... not only when I'm near a free wifi hotspot. That's just silly.

It works over 3g and edge...when it works.

kwjohns
Aug 13, 2008, 08:13 AM
yes. what ticks me off about them is how they casually shrug off blame and try to pass it on to their "partners" or vendors. first apple, and now they seem to be blaming their data center for not being ready.

Could you point out where they blamed their data centers? From everything I've read, they've blamed themselves for not being prepared. You've been going on and on day in and day out about them blaming other people recently when they haven't and it's old.

kwjohns
Aug 13, 2008, 08:14 AM
Figuring I only use AIM, could somebody explain to me what the differences are between AIM's app and this app that make this app worth the purchase? I am only on an iPod, so MMS is not of a concern to me. So what is it about this app that make it worth the $2.99?

People have explained the differences like 5 times within this thread. Read it?

queshy
Aug 13, 2008, 08:29 AM
differences or no differences, palringo > MC at the moment. Hopefully that will change soon...

JonJParr
Aug 13, 2008, 08:33 AM
To add to the growing chorus, I bought this app and haven't been able to make it work once yet. Continuously unable to connect. Have tried through full Edge and 3G signals.

Everyone else in the same boat?

Hls811
Aug 13, 2008, 08:33 AM

Seriously? Read the thread.. its been said many times- Palringo does NOT do the same thing. Palringo signs you off of your open sessions anytime you hit the Home button, Mobile Chat (and AIM & Beejive) keep your connections to their respective servers active so you get messages when you go back in.

I used Palringo and hated it. It was very buggy. I could not delete a contact from my list in Palringo, it kept showing up. Even when I deleted it on my desktop client, it shows in Palringo. Yes, its free but you get what you pay for.

hybrid62
Aug 13, 2008, 08:45 AM
palringo released a update to fix many of the issues it had before plus has the ability to hide offline contacts now.

HyQuality
Aug 13, 2008, 08:51 AM
The opening popup message has now been changed to "We are experiencing downtime. Please check our website for updates".

Iamtherealwoody
Aug 13, 2008, 08:51 AM
Correct me if I am misinformed. My understanding is that AIM can forward IM to your cell phone when you're client is off-line. This has to be set up using a desktop client (or at AIM.com) rather than using the phone client. Isn't this the same thing as the pho-push that MobileChat has? Also, AIM does keep your IM's if you're still online but the application is closed. That I know for sure, even tested it last night to be sure.

With this in mind, what would be the benefit of using MC over AIM since I do not use any other provider? This ignores the fact that AIM does NOT support link in IMs, or picture in IM's, or audio messages (a 'la palrigo).

DrakeSavage
Aug 13, 2008, 08:55 AM
they should of anticipated this. Yes i understand they are a 2 man show, but it only takes one brain to figure out if you are going world wide on the Apple App store you are going to need servers...seriously...

HyQuality
Aug 13, 2008, 08:56 AM
I love how their slogan is

"MobileChat 3 GROWS UP"

LOL

rxse7en
Aug 13, 2008, 08:57 AM
Does the app recognize when you turn the iPhone so you can type in landscape mode? That's my only deal-killer. Thanks.

B

CBJammin103
Aug 13, 2008, 09:06 AM
To me, the passing of my login information and my IM conversations through their servers is an absolute deal-blower. I don't care if the app is $50, $10, $3, $0.03 or free. I have no reason to trust them with any sort of sensitive information after the eyebrow-raising prelaunch and launch they've had.

Not to mention that for me, personally, being logged into AIM (or whichever other IM client) tells my contacts that I'm available for conversation. I have no need to be logged in constantly when I can't get my messages (via push notification on the badge) immediately without some clunky e-mail or SMS system. I'm pretty sure the same is true for most other people; if instant response is necessary, none of my contacts are going to elect to instant message me instead of calling or texting.

I also don't want to walk around all day under the impression that I'm logged in only to find out that their servers are down and I've MISSED IMs because people have assumed I was available. The fact is that I would be relying on their servers and AOL's servers to be functioning. And MC's don't seem to be supremely reliable quite yet...

HyQuality
Aug 13, 2008, 09:06 AM
yes it does support landscape mode.

rxse7en
Aug 13, 2008, 09:11 AM
yes it does support landscape mode.

Thank you.

B

yoomy
Aug 13, 2008, 09:24 AM
2) How reliable are the MobileChat servers going to be for the next 6 months - 4 years?

MobileMe and other services have taught us that the "cloud" may not be as reliable as we hope it will be. MobileChat might be just fine, but can we be certain?

3) How will the people behind MobileChat pay for the servers necessary to power the service?

Development of an application takes time and effort. This time is paid for by the sale of an application while updates are covered by the profit of the application.

X hours of the development of 1.0 = XX% of retail price
X hours of future development for 1.x updates = XX% of retail price

Servers necessary to handle hundreds of thousands or more connections at the same time will be a significant cost. These server costs will be permanent as the application (seems to) need the servers to connect at all. Will the servers be online in a few years? Will there be a monthly fee for the service?

I have a lot of questions before I buy this application, but it does look promising for now.

I would assume that those servers wont be needed anymore once apple integrates the Push service for IM programs?

Project
Aug 13, 2008, 09:26 AM
Quite an embarrassing launch.

lindsayanng
Aug 13, 2008, 09:26 AM
has anyone sucessfully been able to get a refund through the app store? I'm thinking about trying to get my $3.00 back.

TwiceNightly
Aug 13, 2008, 09:30 AM
has anyone sucessfully been able to get a refund through the app store? I'm thinking about trying to get my $3.00 back.

I'm going to try as it's *****, but not sure how to do it? Do you use the "report a problem" button?

gibbyparada
Aug 13, 2008, 09:30 AM
- Slightly more polished UI than Parlingo
- Will use push when release by Apple (September - message alerts/badges when app is closed)
- Buddy icon support
- IM a phone number
- Alternative to MMS (photo support)
- Away message settings

Those are the main reasons it's caught people's attention.

R-Fly

Except. Palringo got an update. SO now it is far more polished than mobile chat. You can send pictures with Palringo, you can send "vocal" IM too. As for push, well, it will come in an update, once Apple allows it.

bigmc6000
Aug 13, 2008, 09:34 AM
Adium, Adium, where for art thou Adium...

Just a note - I'm never going to pay for any chat application and I think there's a lot of people in the same boat. I'd rather have official AIM, Yahoo and something else running with that push service coming out in a month or so than pay for a chat app.

Not that they shouldn't be rewarded for their excellent coding and work but at the same time it's not worth my money for something I can ultimately get for free.

HyQuality
Aug 13, 2008, 09:44 AM
I was just able to login. So far so good. It's kinda weird how it displays that little badge on the MC icon to show how many conversations you have, even if you've read all your IMs and the convo is long over.

gibbyparada
Aug 13, 2008, 09:46 AM
Everyone should try out the new Palringo, it is really nice, and they added some new, undocumented updates(like a search bar in the contacts window). Everything has been polished, You can tell from which account the IM buddy is from, you can change your status message. THey also made everything more intuitive, and, if you didn't know something, they give you little "hints" when you start up your account. I am really impressed with the update, and think everyone should give it a new look. "Is Niiiiiiiiiice"

lindsayanng
Aug 13, 2008, 09:46 AM
ok... VOCAL IM is the silliest thing i have ever heard.. JUST CALL THE PERSON AT THAT POINT!

yoomy
Aug 13, 2008, 09:49 AM
Palringo doesnt have widescreen support. I am chatting so much faster with Mobilechats widescreen!

ViViDboarder
Aug 13, 2008, 09:49 AM
Adium, Adium, where for art thou Adium...

Just a note - I'm never going to pay for any chat application and I think there's a lot of people in the same boat. I'd rather have official AIM, Yahoo and something else running with that push service coming out in a month or so than pay for a chat app.

Not that they shouldn't be rewarded for their excellent coding and work but at the same time it's not worth my money for something I can ultimately get for free.

I'm with you. Personally, it's got everything that I think AIM should have. AIM is bound to get at least one update when the introduce push. I wonder if when that comes out the AIM devs will add a few of these other IM features like pictures. I really don't need any other IM services on my phone. I do like having GTalk though, but Palringo does that.

kwha
Aug 13, 2008, 09:54 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Mobilechat unable to log into AIM account. Keep getting error that due to repeated attempts, connection cannot be made.

HyQuality
Aug 13, 2008, 09:58 AM
The app has crashed on me several times already, just by doing basic things like scrolling through my buddy list. I have IMed a few people but have yet to receive a reply to test the "sms push" thing. I deleted the conversation and yet there's still a "1" badge on my MC icon.

UPDATE: Just received an IM reply and it txted me to let me know. Cool!

HyQuality
Aug 13, 2008, 10:05 AM
From the developer's website:

While the servers are still slow) due to the fact that each box is handling 1000+ AIM sessions alone); the load has lightened up a bit and we think we’ll be able to restore full service by the end of the night.

Again, we apologize for the downtime and please know that we will be compensating our users in one way or another.

Thank You,
Saverio

yoomy
Aug 13, 2008, 10:11 AM
From the developer's website:

While the servers are still slow) due to the fact that each box is handling 1000+ AIM sessions alone); the load has lightened up a bit and we think we’ll be able to restore full service by the end of the night.

Again, we apologize for the downtime and please know that we will be compensating our users in one way or another.

Thank You,
Saverio

Will the email PUSH replacement work?

sh4ne
Aug 13, 2008, 10:29 AM
i just reported this problem with apple and they said to talk to the developer. hope the services get back up soon. :(

Clyde099
Aug 13, 2008, 10:34 AM
Bought the app. last night.
I expect it to get better over time.

jaseone
Aug 13, 2008, 10:57 AM
I would assume that those servers wont be needed anymore once apple integrates the Push service for IM programs?

Actually the servers will still be required and I assume any other applications that wish to use Apple's PUSH service will require their own server infrastructure as well as I understand all the Push service allows is for an application to send a notification through their architecture to the phone, the application itself still needs to be running somewhere and I highly doubt that would be within Apple's Push architecture.

gibbyparada
Aug 13, 2008, 11:03 AM
ok... VOCAL IM is the silliest thing i have ever heard.. JUST CALL THE PERSON AT THAT POINT!

Might be silly, but some people want voice chat, and not use their minutes. I don't know how cool it is, since ts not my thing, but, it seems like a cool little feature. I mean.... A lot of Data, but very limited minutes...

gibbyparada
Aug 13, 2008, 11:05 AM
Bought the app. last night.
I expect it to get better over time.

But not all updates are free, it says so on their site.

iblastoff
Aug 13, 2008, 11:05 AM
how many of you are completely numb headed? do you not remember palringos shaky launch as well??? no one could even register on their site because it was getting hammered.

calm down and wait a few days. im sure mobilechat will get up to speed soon enough instead of whining and crying about 2.99$.

TXCraig
Aug 13, 2008, 11:08 AM
would not connect for me last night and now the app locks up when i try to run it.

gibbyparada
Aug 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
how many of you are completely numb headed? do you not remember palringos shaky launch as well??? no one could even register on their site because it was getting hammered.

calm down and wait a few days. im sure mobilechat will get up to speed soon enough instead of whining and crying about 2.99$.

Yeah, but people have not given Palringo another chance, and instead are being total "MobileChat" fanboys. If MobileChat gets better, I'll give it another try (I mean I already bought it) but for now, Palringo is doing so much better (especially after its update).

TXCraig
Aug 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
Palringo doesnt have widescreen support. I am chatting so much faster with Mobilechats widescreen!

You have it working?

gibbyparada
Aug 13, 2008, 11:15 AM
You have it working?

haha..haha. I got it working once! I was even surprised

GreenLightJerky
Aug 13, 2008, 11:20 AM

Its not just this app. People are always complaining about the price of apps.
$3-$10 is not expensive. Granted not all apps are worth the price but all the complaining about this price range is a joke.

Requiemm
Aug 13, 2008, 11:34 AM
OK, so it took about a minute to set up my Yahoo, MSN & AIM accounts. I was able to log in to the Yahoo one and chat back and forth with my sister without a problem.

Yes they did radically underestimate the initial surge they would experience, but I have hope they will get it together. It's got real potential so I'll be patient for a while.

gibbyparada
Aug 13, 2008, 11:36 AM
$3-$10 is not expensive. Granted not all apps are worth the price but all the complaining about this price range is a joke.

I don't think he is complaining necessarily about the price, its more that the marginal utility difference in comparison to a free application is almost nothing. So that, the 3 dollars is a rip off. It doesn't really deliver, what a free app already delivers, and what it does deliver, is heavily buggy.

ViViDboarder
Aug 13, 2008, 11:46 AM
I don't think he is complaining necessarily about the price, its more that the marginal utility difference in comparison to a free application is almost nothing. So that, the 3 dollars is a rip off. It doesn't really deliver, what a free app already delivers, and what it does deliver, is heavily buggy.

Exactly. It's priced right. Some people just don't think it's worth it.

scottinsac
Aug 13, 2008, 11:47 AM
It's bear! BEAR with us.

/peeve.

But you have to give them credit. Everything else was spelled correctly.

Project
Aug 13, 2008, 11:54 AM

Couple of points.

1. Palringo was/is free

2. MobileChat devs were saying it was built to scale on their website not long ago.

FaustArp
Aug 13, 2008, 12:17 PM
I dont know why everyones making a big deal about this. It's not like AIM hasn't already been out for weeks, and it's free. Not only that it does basically everything this does.

soldbyroland
Aug 13, 2008, 12:17 PM
It sucks that they charge you per SMS for push. Watch the video.

ViViDboarder
Aug 13, 2008, 12:21 PM

Umm... AT&T has ALWAYS charged for SMS.

impact_blue
Aug 13, 2008, 12:22 PM

Whaaa?

ViViDboarder
Aug 13, 2008, 12:23 PM
Whaaa?

And this is how rumors begin...

Project
Aug 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
I dont know why everyones making a big deal about this. It's not like AIM hasn't already been out for weeks, and it's free. Not only that it does basically everything this does.

Nobody uses AIM here.

ViViDboarder
Aug 13, 2008, 12:26 PM
Nobody uses AIM here.

I'm assuming "here" is in the UK and you use MSN?

Just substitute Palringo for his AIM comment :D

The thing that sucks is... Palringos UI. It's cluttered. I haven't gotten MC3 yet because I don't know if I care enough.

slicecom
Aug 13, 2008, 01:01 PM
SMS push notification doesn't work with MSN! That's the only reason I bought this app! That's stupid... :mad:

Project
Aug 13, 2008, 01:04 PM
I'm assuming "here" is in the UK and you use MSN?

Just substitute Palringo for his AIM comment :D

The thing that sucks is... Palringos UI. It's cluttered. I haven't gotten MC3 yet because I don't know if I care enough.

yeah UK but only the states really has AIM dominance. Rest of the world is pretty much Yahoo or MSN.

I'm not too bothered about waiting a while for mobilechat to work, it's just how their devs were going on about waiting for apple, building up the apps featureset, their server integration and so on only for a collosal fail on launch. And it was launched when most of America was asleep but still buckled under the ROW traffic so they really messed up.

Still hopefully they sort it soon.

ViViDboarder
Aug 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
yeah UK but only the states really has AIM dominance. Rest of the world is pretty much Yahoo or MSN.

I'm not too bothered about waiting a while for mobilechat to work, it's just how their devs were going on about waiting for apple, building up the apps featureset, their server integration and so on only for a collosal fail on launch. And it was launched when most of America was asleep but still buckled under the ROW traffic so they really messed up this launch.

Still hopefully they sort it soon.

Sounds like AT&T's launch of the phone itself in the US :P

trunksu
Aug 13, 2008, 01:13 PM

i just tried vocal IM and it's just a fun thing to mess with. best part was uh, driving and using it to reply to messages (vs typing the message to my friends :P). it may sound silly but it's a nice perk to have while on the go.

soldbyroland
Aug 13, 2008, 01:15 PM
I know AT&T has always charged for SMS. My point is that I want an app that gets around AT&T's charges. I want to screw them out of every penny I can manage. I was bummed I couldn't download the tethering app before Apple pulled it. This is where jailbreaking will still come into play.

Quincy9219
Aug 13, 2008, 01:17 PM

I agree, if you aren't willing to pay for people's work, then don't think about buying it. There's probably a free alternative that is lower quality too. Granted, neither is pretty good, both MC and Palringo have problems, but Palringo needs a couple more updates and MC needs to get their act together on the sever side.

Oilbrnr
Aug 13, 2008, 01:18 PM

QFT. What a bunch of whining babies.

ViViDboarder
Aug 13, 2008, 01:20 PM
I know AT&T has always charged for SMS. My point is that I want an app that gets around AT&T's charges. I want to screw them out of every penny I can manage. I was bummed I couldn't download the tethering app before Apple pulled it. This is where jailbreaking will still come into play.

Ohkay. If you want SMS push it uses an SMS message. It's that simple. You can get a Yahoo email account which has push and set up email push instead in MobileChat.

Then you can use that for an SMS replacement.

I just use Teleflip and my Ymail instead of SMS and it even works with MMS. :D Just have to know the portals to send to.

taibien86
Aug 13, 2008, 01:35 PM
I haven't gotten MC3 yet because I don't know if I care enough.

im bought it right away because im afraid of missing out on it like i did with netshare... i know its unlikely that this will be pulled for any reason, but i didn't want to the take the chance of waiting and something happening later on

impact_blue
Aug 13, 2008, 02:02 PM
QFT. What a bunch of whining babies.

It's the internet. People expect everything to be free whether it be porn, music, or apps.

Im sure that most of the whinners are the teenagers who had their parents buy the phone for them. $2.99 is nothing for a quality app that you'd probably use all the time.

lindsayanng
Aug 13, 2008, 02:05 PM
actually, it SHOULD be free - and i ONLY say this because its free EVERYWHERE ELSE!! theres no reason to HAVE to purchase, and i'm kicking myself for buying into the hype that was SUPPOSED to be this app.. i SHOULD have just waited till PUSH came around and saw how AIM did with that.. but oh well..

ViViDboarder
Aug 13, 2008, 02:06 PM
actually, it SHOULD be free - and i ONLY say this because its free EVERYWHERE ELSE!! theres no reason to HAVE to purchase, and i'm kicking myself for buying into the hype that was SUPPOSED to be this app.. i SHOULD have just waited till PUSH came around and saw how AIM did with that.. but oh well..

What do you mean "free everywhere else?"

Manic Mouse
Aug 13, 2008, 02:09 PM
We need Adium for the iPhone...

Badandy
Aug 13, 2008, 02:21 PM

It should be free? And how exactly would this generate revenue for the people who spent hours upon hours creating it?

impact_blue
Aug 13, 2008, 03:08 PM

I'm sure it's comin and when it does it will kill all these other apps. Right now I'm using Palringo so I dont see any reason to switch. AIM is just too buggy and wont bring up my buddylist.

slicecom
Aug 13, 2008, 03:20 PM

Adium > All

I'll use MobileChat until Adium comes out. What that happens, ALL other IM apps will get permanently deleted off my phone (AIM, Parlingo, MobileChat).

ViViDboarder
Aug 13, 2008, 03:43 PM
Adium > All

I'll use MobileChat until Adium comes out. What that happens, ALL other IM apps will get permanently deleted off my phone (AIM, Parlingo, MobileChat).

How long you planning to wait? http://adiumx.com/blog/category/iphone/

slapppy
Aug 13, 2008, 03:57 PM
I guess its still not working. I've just tried 30 min ago and still won't work.

cenetti
Aug 13, 2008, 04:00 PM
ok, I successfully logged on to my yahoo & msn accounts ( green ), but no buddy list? There is no ONE on my list, why is that?

FaustArp
Aug 13, 2008, 04:08 PM
Nobody uses AIM here.

to cool for AIM? pshh.. trendy slave

Oilbrnr
Aug 13, 2008, 04:39 PM
I just did a couple of MSN chats without issue before they bounced their servers with a software upgrade. I got a notification from them.

Overall, it is a better launch so far then MM. :D

marksman
Aug 13, 2008, 04:46 PM
Adium, trillian, whomever.

Any of them will instill more confidence than the mobilechat duo.

slicecom
Aug 13, 2008, 05:01 PM
How long you planning to wait? http://adiumx.com/blog/category/iphone/

That announcement is ancient. Well before the push capability was announced and well before developers started making tens of thousands of dollars for making very simple apps. I'm sure it wont be long before they come around.

Quincy9219
Aug 13, 2008, 05:25 PM
That announcement is ancient. Well before the push capability was announced and well before developers started making tens of thousands of dollars for making very simple apps. I'm sure it wont be long before they come around.

No, they won't be making an iPhone version, not for a while at least. You read it yourself, they're bound by both the NDA and the GPL. Until Apple lifts the NDA, then, like they said, the terms of the GPL keep them from using all the same libraries. If they can't use those libraries, they need to replace them with their own proprietary libraries. They also can't make money off it either, again because of the GPL. So, all in all, it's not likely that they are going to bring Adium over anytime soon, if at all

javaGuru
Aug 13, 2008, 06:17 PM
I purchased this application after reading all of the hype around it. But, I must say I'm very disappointed in it so far. I have yet to be able to connect with it. I hope they get these issues resolved soon.

bigrobb
Aug 13, 2008, 06:21 PM
i bought into the hype of mobilechat and bought it and it still doesnt work for me it wont connect. I will give them a little while longer to try to fix it before I delete it.

Bernie-Mac
Aug 13, 2008, 06:27 PM
What do you mean "free everywhere else?"

I was on Cydia and Installer for free before 2.0

queshy
Aug 13, 2008, 06:35 PM
wow, this app still does not work. I thought the end of it would be when it came out...

Rojo
Aug 13, 2008, 06:40 PM
wow, this app still does not work. I thought the end of it would be when it came out...

I finally got it to work for me. Didn't think the time would ever come, but it did. Just finished an IM chat, and it worked fine! There are still parts of it that are really buggy, but I hope it gets fixed in the update.

dranakin
Aug 13, 2008, 06:53 PM
Still isn't working for me. This is getting frustrating.

bigrobb
Aug 13, 2008, 07:11 PM
Still isn't working for me. This is getting frustrating.

i agree, its getting really frustrating. I did try the webapp beejive I actually like that. I will probably just use that, I use yahoo messenger thats why I dont download the aim one. I havent tried palringo yet. so far I like beejive.

slapppy
Aug 13, 2008, 07:14 PM
Still no go. Should I delete the settings and start all over again?

kwjohns
Aug 13, 2008, 07:27 PM
Still no go. Should I delete the settings and start all over again?

No just be patient until they get their server crap settled. Whether you eventually sign on or not, you'll get disconnected eventually anyways so there's no point trying to "troubleshoot" the issue.

slapppy
Aug 13, 2008, 07:35 PM
No just be patient until they get their server crap settled. Whether you eventually sign on or not, you'll get disconnected eventually anyways so there's no point trying to "troubleshoot" the issue.

Well I'll wait then. Delete it for now from iPhone and back to AIM again. I just checked their site and from their post 1000 sessions is taxing their servers. That doesn't sound very promising for this app. Good thing they didn't ask for 10 bucks for this. I've learned my lesson. Next time, wait and not get caught up with the hype on an application from now now. :rolleyes:

bigrobb
Aug 13, 2008, 07:39 PM
I uninstalled it and reinstalled it finally worked for me

Quincy9219
Aug 13, 2008, 07:40 PM
I uninstalled it and reinstalled it finally worked for me

Probably just had lucky timing

okrelayer
Aug 13, 2008, 08:08 PM
a question, I know they have a semi push system going on. Lets say i have mobile chat open and i am chatting to a few people will it be just like sending text messages? In terms of useing internet/and battery? Or will it be like keeping the internet open and on the entire time i use mobile chat?

i hope this is not confuseing!

Quincy9219
Aug 13, 2008, 08:10 PM
a question, I know they have a semi push system going on. Lets say i have mobile chat open and i am chatting to a few people will it be just like sending text messages? In terms of useing internet/and battery? Or will it be like keeping the internet open and on the entire time i use mobile chat?

i hope this is not confuseing!

It's a data connection, it'll be like surfing MobileSafari in terms of battery usage

okrelayer
Aug 13, 2008, 08:13 PM
the entire time i use the app, or only when i send messages?

because i can go all day sending text's, but wondering if it will be like keeping safari open the entire time i use this program

(i know it sounds stupid, but because its on their servers i would have thought it would lay off a tad of the internet useage, only when i send and receive messages)

mixel
Aug 13, 2008, 08:19 PM
Well i had it working for an hr and my experiences were decent..

Apart from tons of funny GUI issues. disappearing buttons, my entire accounts list either formatting wrong or having bits (sometimes all of it) missing.. getting stuck in chats because either the back button doesn't work or its vanished entirely.

.. Other than that lot though, the landscape mode is wonderful, helps a lot. The photo feature works nicely, and a lot like Palringo's. Userpic & status changes worked fine. Once the issues are ironed out i'd definitely take this over palringo.. But either will do in a pinch. Good luck to them!

okrelayer
Aug 13, 2008, 08:35 PM
i just bought it, give it a whirl..

i expected problems.. but the first thing that happened when i tried to connect to aim they said YOUVE DISCONNECTED AND CONNECTED TO MANY TIMES, PLEASE WAIT 10 MIN AND TRY AGAIN, IF YOU CONTINUE TO DO IT YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT LONGER!

so they pretty much yelled at me.. for nothing haha.

well.. 10 min wait it is

slicecom
Aug 13, 2008, 08:41 PM

i expected problems.. but the first thing that happened when i tried to connect to aim they said YOUVE DISCONNECTED AND CONNECTED TO MANY TIMES, PLEASE WAIT 10 MIN AND TRY AGAIN, IF YOU CONTINUE TO DO IT YOU WILL HAVE TO WAIT LONGER!

well.. 10 min wait it is

That's AOL yelling at you because MobileChat just keeps trying to connect over and over again.

NoOtherOne
I have yet to connect at all. This is ridiculous.

digitalfx

well.. 10 min wait it is

you will be waiting more than 10 minutes...I have been getting this all day!

okrelayer
Aug 13, 2008, 08:43 PM
haha. Aol is mad at me because i am getting away from AIM! loll

kwjohns
Aug 13, 2008, 08:43 PM
I don't get why their photo uploading crops the photo into a square rather than uploading the entire photo...?

okrelayer
Aug 13, 2008, 10:21 PM
I enjoy this mobile chat quite a bit in my tests with it.. however.. i wish it would not say i am away all the time... and that i am unable to tell if someone is on their phone (via aim, like people sms their aol accounts) or something on my list

edit: ok the away thing was fixed. must have been a small bug. But one thing that annoys me is, when i reopen mobilechat it does not go to the recent messages! That would be very helpful, or aleast the buddylist!

kis
Aug 14, 2008, 12:25 AM
still not connecting this morning :-(

wronski
Aug 14, 2008, 12:39 AM
MobileFail.

slapppy
Aug 14, 2008, 02:47 AM
MobileFail.

Yeah I agree. Might as well wait for AIM to or Apple iChat release with notification this month. I wouldn't recommend this app to anyone.

opticalserenity
Aug 14, 2008, 03:23 AM
Connects just fine for me. I think we'll see an update very soon.

Niiro13
Aug 14, 2008, 03:29 AM
I was on Cydia and Installer for free before 2.0

Oh come off it.

So was FiveDice, WebSearch, Band, Blackjack 21, Mahjongg, iSolitaire (now Solitaire Top 3), Caissa, iFlix, etc.

But at least the difference is that they were made a whole lot better than their Installer/Cydia counter-part (MobileChat's failing server-side and not client side...well...not for me at least...and before AppStore, I couldn't even use MobileChat for it crashes...at least now I can tap the home screen and know I will get my IMs when I get back):

Solitaire now contains two more games as well as zooming.
FiveDice looks a lot more professionally done.

etc.

dbrandt6
Aug 14, 2008, 05:43 AM
...in my iTunes Applications it says version 1.0 for MobileChat. App Store says there are no upgrades. Any ideas?

queshy
Aug 14, 2008, 07:07 AM
I can get into my MSN, but there are no e-mail notifications (as they said on their website today...) - according to their site, the notifications are coming...

So right now the app is pretty useless because it can't keep a good connection to the server.

noisebleed
Aug 14, 2008, 07:09 AM
if you can't connect, click status, click online, click offline, click online, go to your screen to see if you are connected, and voila.

ViViDboarder
Aug 14, 2008, 07:13 AM
...in my iTunes Applications it says version 1.0 for MobileChat. App Store says there are no upgrades. Any ideas?

It's MobileChat3 (Version 1.0) :D

DrakeSavage
Aug 14, 2008, 08:32 AM
I still dont understand these guys...how on earth do you release an app on the Apple App store WORLDWIDE and you dont anticipate demand...first they bit*h about apple taking forever..then when then finally approve its a huge failure. I will wait for them to work this out, but what a stumble out of the gate...i havent been able to connect for more than 5 min ONCE.

Luap
Aug 14, 2008, 09:08 AM
I had high hopes for this app.. I tried it with my AIM account and my .mac/mobileme account, and it doesn't work with either of them. I also tried it with an MSN account, and although it 'says' I am online, evidently it doesn't work with that either.

It's crap.

And it takes the p!ss because it is not a free app either. What is the process for a refund? Ok, Its not a lot of money, and I could care less about £1.79 to be honest. But in my opinion, it's the principal. Charging for something that doesn't even nearly work really irks me.

queshy
Aug 14, 2008, 09:38 AM
How is this the #1 paid app, lol? It doesn't even work.

Rojo
Aug 14, 2008, 09:43 AM
How is this the #1 paid app, lol? It doesn't even work.

Looks like it's only #6, according to my iTunes. But yeah.... that's pretty hight up for one of the buggiest app releases yet...

NoOtherOne
Aug 14, 2008, 10:05 AM
I had a tiny bit of success. I DID get it to connect, and function correctly with my GTalk account (i.e., messages were properly sent and received, and I closed the app and reopened it and my messages that were sent while it was closed were there waiting). I know, I'm shocked too.

Still haven't been able to get AIM to work. I keep getting that "You're signing on and off too much, wait 10 minutes" message. And yes, I have tried disabling the account for an hour or so, enabling it, and connecting, and I still get the same message.

And now, the app just crashes when I try to open. Good times. Time to reinstall again.