PDA

View Full Version : Possible cure for Skin Cancer

Mr. Anderson
Jan 8, 2004, 12:06 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/01/07/australia.skincancer/index.html

Interesting approach - and the fact that after killing off one melanoma it goes after others you might not even know you have.

Now if they can do this for brain, lung, bone cancers that would be so very cool.

D

Rower_CPU
Jan 8, 2004, 12:51 PM
Wow, cancer is susceptible to the common cold. Who would've guessed?

Great find, D, and I hope it leads to some great advances in treatment during our lifetimes.

zimv20
Jan 8, 2004, 01:01 PM
so, is injecting the virus somehow more effective than simply catching a cold? they state that once it's in the system, it'll find other melanoma cancer cells. i wonder if it matters how the virus is originally introduced.

eyelikeart
Jan 8, 2004, 01:20 PM
That's crazy!

So I'm wondering if this can possibly even lead to a cure for the common cold?

Mr. Anderson
Jan 8, 2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by eyelikeart
That's crazy!

So I'm wondering if this can possibly even lead to a cure for the common cold?

yeah, just reverse the process and inject cancerous cells into the cold....;)

Sorry, just had to.

But its got great potential - makes you wonder if the cold virus isn't actually something a lot more.

D

wdlove
Jan 8, 2004, 01:33 PM
Thank you for the link Mr. Anderson, this is great news. With cell level research there is a lot of promising research. The key is to hit the cell itself.

spinner
Jan 8, 2004, 01:36 PM
Who would have ever thought of injecting the cold virus into a cancerous cell. That is awesome.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 8, 2004, 02:17 PM
Very good article, thanks for the post Mr. Anderson. I have had a family member with this cancer. Melanoma's talk with each other if you will so it sounds as if this process is used to transmit it to those other melanoma's. This could be the tip of the iceberg in fighting other forms of cancer. Very cool:)

zimv20
Jan 8, 2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
makes you wonder if the cold virus isn't actually something a lot more.

perhaps a mechanism nature provided to keep our immune systems in tune

eyelikeart
Jan 8, 2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
But its got great potential - makes you wonder if the cold virus isn't actually something a lot more.

haha...bad joke... :p

Even further though, the cold virus could be more basic than we think even, but just out of the realm of thought?

topicolo
Jan 8, 2004, 06:41 PM
My question is, how does the virus recognize the difference between melanoma cells and normal cells? After a certain point, cancer cells themselves are so different that killing them all off by identifying one difference becomes impossible.