Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Babooshka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Hello

I am getting a pre-owned eMac on Wednesday which has Tiger installed, and wondering if I could use the Leopard install install disks I got with my iMac to install Leopard on the eMac.

Can I?

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Hello

I am getting a pre-owned eMac on Wednesday which has Tiger installed, and wondering if I could use the Leopard install install disks I got with my iMac to install Leopard on the eMac.

Can I?

No.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Hello

Can I?

If it has a DVD drive (reader), than yes. But i would not suggest, because the eMac isn't quite fast with it's G4 CPU. I would leave Tiger on it...

I mean, you want a fluent, decent experience by using your computer, right? Than stay with Tiger.

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
Hello

Can I?

No - the Leopard install disks supplied with your iMac are machine specific and Intel only.

A retail version of Leopard will install provided you have a fast enough eMac (1ghz or better) and, contrary to popular opinion, won't be appreciably slower than Tiger provided you max out the RAM to 1gb (the last versions would handle 2gb which is worth having).

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
If it has a DVD drive (reader), than yes. But i would not suggest, because the eMac isn't quite fast with it's G4 CPU. I would leave Tiger on it...

I mean, you want a fluent, decent experience by using your computer, right? Than stay with Tiger.

The OP is asking if he can use the grey install disks that came with his iMac not a copy bought in a box. The answer is no for two reasons:

(1) These install disks are tied to the specific models they come with

(2) It will be an Intel version of Leopard.

Therefore to get Leopard on the eMac the OP needs to check the stats against the minimum requirements of Leopard and to buy a boxed version of the OS.

Edit: Tersono beat me to it.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK

I think you've misread the OP's question - he wasn't asking if the eMac will run Leopard (which it will, albeit a bit slowly), he was asking if he can use the iMac restore disk to install Leopard.
The answer to the that is no, both legally (the license on the restore disk applies only to the machine it was supplied with) and practically (an iMac restore disk won't work on an eMac)

Edit: Beaten to it!!

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
I think you've misread the OP's question - he wasn't asking if the eMac will run Leopard (which it will, albeit a bit slowly), he was asking if he can use the iMac restore disk to install Leopard.
The answer to the that is no, both legally (the license on the restore disk applies only to the machine it was supplied with) and practically (an iMac restore disk won't work on an eMac)

Edit: Beaten to it!!

OK, sorry than. Thanks for correcting me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.