Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jono21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
i am new to this forum and i just can't seem to find anything related to my question, if anyone can give me a link to a thread that would be great

to my knowledge the student deal consist: with the purchase of the macbook you get an ipod touch and an hp printer.

i've read some threads about the new macbook but i havn't really found any information as to how different this macbook is. I know its' rumored to be realeased around september.

my question is will this new macbook just come with the new macbook? or will it also have the student deal, replacing the old macbook?

all in all should i buy the student deal now taht comes with the ipod touch and the printer? or should i just wait for the new macbook that might or might not have a student deal?

soberbrain

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2008
Most likely, a new MacBook will be announced after the student promo expires. Apple uses promos to clear inventory of older models. They don't need to have a promo for new models, because people will buy them just because they are new.

Use the promo if you need a touch or printer. Also you don't "get" a touch and printer. You buy them along with the Mac and get rebates later.

You can also buy Refurbs at the Apple Online store if you want to save money.

Search the forums with MRoogle.

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
The printer deal seems to run forever so that shouldn't be a concern.

If you want the free the iPod Touch and the MacBook suits your needs you should jump on the deal. It is quite a good value.

You definitely won't get the iPod deal with the new MacBook. Rumors are saying new MacBooks and new iPods. So if you are one of those people that has to have the newest in new then you should wait and spend more money.

You will probably be able to get a 64GB iPod Touch and an Aluminum MacBook by this time next month(or they at least will be announced), but it''ll cost you.

ukitali

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
Personally I'm going to go for the Macbook, Ipod, printer deal and then if I'm really wowed by the new Macbook I'll sell the old one and put that money towards the new Macbook.

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I'm thinking about buying a the BTS promo deal on the last day possible, not open it, and hope apple announces or released the new MB before 2 weeks is up.

If i like what the new one offers, then I'll just return my BTS stuff, if i don't, then i get a great deal...

Wee Beastie

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2007
In the snow with Rosebud
I'm thinking about buying a the BTS promo deal on the last day possible, not open it, and hope apple announces or released the new MB before 2 weeks is up.

If i like what the new one offers, then I'll just return my BTS stuff, if i don't, then i get a great deal...

You know, that's not a bad idea. But it's going to be hard to have all that new hardware sitting around and not use it. At least it would be for me...

Not a bad plan though..

Jono21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
thx for the info and ideas, i think the best idea is probably what drumjim85 said.

urbanskywalker

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2007
One thing I noticed on the Canada Apple site it that the ipod deal is not just for students, educators also qualify. I have never seen this mentioned before.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
One thing I noticed on the Canada Apple site it that the ipod deal is not just for students, educators also qualify. I have never seen this mentioned before.

It is the same on the U.S. site- if you click the "Learn More" link on the front page, the first line on the next page is:

"Choose your Mac.
If you’re a student, teacher, or staff member and you buy a Mac with your education discount between June 3 and September 15, 2008, you can get a free iPod touch or iPod nano after rebate.*"

B1rdman

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2008

I was thinking of doing something like this...only problem (as I think the guy below you stated...is it would be impossible not to open)...

AND besides, you really think apple would allow that? I seriously doubt it would work actually now that I think about it...

Drumjim85

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2007
DFW, TX
I was thinking of doing something like this...only problem (as I think the guy below you stated...is it would be impossible not to open)...

AND besides, you really think apple would allow that? I seriously doubt it would work actually now that I think about it...

why wouldn't apple allow that?? You're allowed to return your purchase for 2 weeks after you buy it (returning the whole purchase, including the iPod)

jokun

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2008

I can't see why he wouldn't be able to return it. The only problem would be no more bts promotion. Once that stuff is returned, it's past the deadline and no more ipod rebate.

Jono21

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2008
yeah i'm kinda confused now.... so if you buy it at like september 14 and you havn't opened anything can't you return it after the 2 weeks?

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
if you can wait... please do so.... the new macbooks should be a LOT better...

and if you HAVE to get one NOW
then its ok
cuz the current macbooks are still 1 inch thin BEASTS :D
verry fast, light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.