PDA

View Full Version : Mac OS X 10.5.5 9F23 and New Safari 4 Seeded to Developers

MacRumors
Aug 25, 2008, 03:40 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

Apple has seeded yet another version of Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F23) to developers on Friday as well as a new version of Safari 4.0 Developer Preview, according to AppleInsider (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/08/23/apple_developers_get_new_builds_of_safari_4_mac_os_x_10_5_5.html).

The latest Mac OS X 10.5.5 seed came just days (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/19/apple-accelerates-mac-os-x-10-5-5-seeding-9f17/) after the previous seed. Unlike the previous seed, this one had one known issue related to general searching of email messages in Mail.

Perhaps more interesting was that Apple released a new Safari 4.0 Developer Preview for Leopard, Windows and Tiger. Apple first gave developers a look at Safari 4.0 in in June (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/10/apple-seeds-safari-4-to-developers/). Safari 4.0 incorporates many of the latest enhancements found in WebKit (http://webkit.org/). The latest HTML 5 features supported, according to AppleInsider, are said to include:

- CSS support for masks, gradients, reflections, and specifying a named canvas.
- Rudimentary support for the WAI-ARIA (Rich Internet Application) and cross-site XMLHttpRequest specifications.
- the ability to send messages between documents
- storage of data either locally or just for the user's session
- the option of running web applications outside of a browser or when disconnected from the network
- canvas pixel manipulation

Safari 4.0 also incorporates the latest SquirrelFish technology which provides dramatic JavaScript speed ups. Apple has not yet announced the expected release date for Safari 4.0.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/25/mac-os-x-10-5-5-9f23-and-new-safari-4-seeded-to-developers/)

sk8mash
Aug 25, 2008, 03:44 AM
Cool-looks like they might be releasing it soon!

w00143881
Aug 25, 2008, 03:45 AM
Apple seems to be reallll busy these past few weeks. With pretty much their whole non-iphone line in desperate need of an upgrade, while i think they all will around the same time, i'm sure they are trying to prevent another mobileme, iphone, itunes meltdown scenario again.

macshill
Aug 25, 2008, 03:50 AM
Thanks for remembering there's a world outside of iPhones and iPods, Apple. New MacBooks. Bring it! :D

Macboy66
Aug 25, 2008, 03:52 AM
Can't wait to see some changes on Safari

kaiwai
Aug 25, 2008, 03:52 AM
Safari 4.0 is looking really good (going by the information released). Hopefully by the time Snow Leopard is released there will be 4.5 or 5.0 released :)

ruinfx
Aug 25, 2008, 03:58 AM
i hope 10.5.5 fixes ical

igazza
Aug 25, 2008, 04:08 AM
safari will be interesting as ive recently made the switch to Firefox :D

motulist
Aug 25, 2008, 04:10 AM
i hope 10.5.5 fixes ical

Hah! Yeah right!

I don't know what problem you're having with the program, but ical is the single most neglected major application in Apple's software lineup. So whatever issue you're having with it, I wouldn't pin my hopes on it getting fixed by an update. Personally I don't recall ever encountering bugs in ical, but I can tell you that ever since ical first came out I've been waiting for ical to get some absolutely basic functions added, such as being able to move more than one event at a time. Such a basic simple function! Yet ical doesn't have it!

macshill
Aug 25, 2008, 04:10 AM
safari will be interesting as ive recently made the switch to Firefox :D

how are you finding the two? :]

ruinfx
Aug 25, 2008, 04:21 AM
Hah! Yeah right!

I don't know what problem you're having with the program, but ical is the single most neglected major application in Apple's software lineup. So whatever issue you're having with it, I wouldn't pin my hopes on it getting fixed by an update. Personally I don't recall ever encountering bugs in ical, but I can tell you that ever since ical first came out I've been waiting for ical to get some absolutely basic functions added, such as being able to move more than one event at a time. Such a basic simple function! Yet ical doesn't have it!

lol they can start by fixing the "today" button

sk8mash
Aug 25, 2008, 04:24 AM
lol they can start by fixing the "today" button

Today button is working great for me!

nagromme
Aug 25, 2008, 04:32 AM
Just to bring this home for people who miss hearing iPhone news: IIRC, iPhone Safari doesn't yet use SquirrelFish, so it too stands to get faster in future :)

richard.mac
Aug 25, 2008, 04:35 AM
the latest build of Safari 4.0 kept on beach balling for me and i had to force quit it. i sent 5 crash reports to Apple in half an hour earlier today. im now back to 3.1.1 and hasnt crashed once.

JAYGEE
Aug 25, 2008, 04:40 AM
How about Apple adding a feature to Safari that warns you when you are entering a web site that can be dangerous to you or your computer, like a site that tries to phish personal information from you, like bank details etc?

I know people should take care about where they hand over personal information, but that feature can't hurt, right? :confused:

JAYGEE
Aug 25, 2008, 04:45 AM
the latest build of Safari 4.0 kept on beach balling for me and i had to force quit it. i sent 5 crash reports to Apple in half an hour earlier today. im now back to 3.1.1 and hasnt crashed once.

When I was on Tiger, Safari did that to me all the time. When I installed Leopard, Safari was great, but with every minor update to Safari, it has slowly been getting worse. I hope Safari 4 fixes it again, but minor updates for it will probably ruin it again lol.

VaatiKaiba
Aug 25, 2008, 04:52 AM
Safari 4 will need to have some new features - currently I'm on the fence between Safari and Firefox, as while FF is more functional (with the add-ons, etc), there are a few nice things like smooth scrolling in Safari which just make the whole browsing experience ... more enjoyable, really.

Cromulent
Aug 25, 2008, 05:13 AM

It's a preview version. Your supposed to be trying to make it crash (and reporting bugs) so that Apple can fix them. Don't expect to use it as your primary browser.

matthewlesh
Aug 25, 2008, 05:21 AM
- CSS support for masks, gradients, reflections

LOL .. I love Apple. I love using reflections and all that stuff but how useful is it if it's only for one browser..

-Proudly posted from firefox 3

elppa
Aug 25, 2008, 05:40 AM
LOL .. I love Apple. I love using reflections and all that stuff but how useful is it if it's only for one browser..

[1] lol at your inability to see the complete picture (or any picture for that matter!). All these features are shared back to the community (hopefully some will make the CSS 3 spec) and will help to create and immersive, interactive web experience based on open standards.

Leave the proprietary web to Microsoft and Adobe.

[2] lol at your Firefox fanboy-ism without being able to comprehend any of the issues at stake. In many ways Apple and Mozilla want the same thing (although for different reasons).

Apple doesn't want to rely on plugins for the web because they would rather not be dependent on a third party to provide the internet experience on their future gadgets, tablets and computers.

- proudly posted by someone who want a web based on open standards, not locked to one vendor and appreciating anyone who makes an effort to get us there.

Shagrat
Aug 25, 2008, 05:53 AM
It's a preview version. Your supposed to be trying to make it crash (and reporting bugs) so that Apple can fix them. Don't expect to use it as your primary browser.

well, I'm running the Developer preview 5526.11.2 which i wanted to try out, and basically forgot about, as I HAVE been using it as my primary browser, and have had virtually no problems at all. Seems to be as stable as the last v3 version for me.

richard.mac
Aug 25, 2008, 06:07 AM

OK thanks! but it overwrote my earlier 4.0 developer preview that was quite stable and then when i used the uninstaller it gave me back 3.1.1.

so what primary browser are you supposed to use if you only use Safari and it overwrites your current version?

elppa
Aug 25, 2008, 06:17 AM
OK thanks! but it overwrote my earlier 4.0 developer preview that was quite stable and then when i used the uninstaller it gave me back 3.1.1.

so what primary browser are you supposed to use if you only use Safari and it overwrites your current version?

There's an installer (“Safari40PreviewUninstall.pkg”) on the disk image you downloaded which removes Safari 4 puts Safari 3 back.

If you don't have the disk image, download it again from the ADC.

glis
Aug 25, 2008, 07:00 AM
Just to be clear, the Safari 4 Preview is also available to ADC Online members (free registration at http://developer.apple.com)

jbgh
Aug 25, 2008, 07:53 AM
the option for opening in 64 bit mode is gone for both the safari app and for any web apps. weird..

supmango
Aug 25, 2008, 07:57 AM
Hah! Yeah right!

Part of what I like about iCal is its simplicity. I use it all the time and it works. I do agree that it will not update soon (at least substantially) because it would require more changes to MobileMe (which might be risky until everything is completely stabilized).

Darkroom
Aug 25, 2008, 08:05 AM
i hope SWFAddress will still work well with Safari 4.0... it always worries me when a new browser version is released that it will some how ruin it.

Phillyzero
Aug 25, 2008, 08:26 AM
[1] lol at your inability to see the complete picture (or any picture for that matter!). All these features are shared back to the community (hopefully some will make the CSS 3 spec) and will help to create and immersive, interactive web experience based on open standards.

Leave the proprietary web to Microsoft and Adobe.

[2] lol at your Firefox fanboy-ism without being able to comprehend any of the issues at stake. In many ways Apple and Mozilla want the same thing (although for different reasons).

Apple doesn't want to rely on plugins for the web because they would rather not be dependent on a third party to provide the internet experience on their future gadgets, tablets and computers.

- proudly posted by someone who want a web based on open standards, not locked to one vendor and appreciating anyone who makes an effort to get us there.

Before I start, I'm not trying to start some crap here, I genuinely don't know the answer here.

I don't follow Safari much, or the browser wars for that matter, but by exactly what you said, doesn't that mean Firefox is based on open standards, whereas Apple is attempting to do an external lockdown. By preventing third-party apps, doesn't that, for all intents and purposes, limit the browser effectiveness? By attempting to do everything that FF plug-ins can, without the actual need for plug-ins, doesn't that make it more costly and less time-efficient for Apple in the first place?

I mean I still love Apple, but anybody apart from the usual fanboys know that Apple is a genius at locking their consumers in (this of course is one of the defining points of argument by Windows or Linux users), it's what they do as that's how they specifically need to make profits.

Otaviano
Aug 25, 2008, 08:45 AM

You should really make it a habit to not comment on things that you clearly don't really comprehend.

These added new features will be apart of the next CSS specification, and will be very handy for web designer that want to produce better looking and more sophisticated websites. Little by little all web browsers will support these new features, some faster than other (IE I'm looking at you.)

The reason it's coming to Safari so quickly is because WebKit is very quick to incorporate new features. It's what made it so attractive to Apple when they were looking for a rendering engine for their web browser (Safari), and the reason it's being looked at more and more for mobile web browsers.

Now go back to being a fan boy.

Kar98
Aug 25, 2008, 08:54 AM
You should really make it a habit to not comment on things that you clearly don't really comprehend.

That right there is why Apple has a market share of 5%.

These added new features will be apart of the next CSS specification, and will be very handy for web designer that want to produce better looking and more sophisticated websites. Little by little all web browsers will support these new features, some faster than other (IE I'm looking at you.)

Yeah, that's what was said about Netscape back in the day. Blink, frames, marquee! The future! Rubbish.

Now go back to being a fan boy.

Oh sweet irony.

finalcut
Aug 25, 2008, 08:59 AM
I just hope safari will have bookmark separators like other browsers. This is a little feature that makes me use firefox instead of safari :(

hayesk
Aug 25, 2008, 09:01 AM
How about Apple adding a feature to Safari that warns you when you are entering a web site that can be dangerous to you or your computer, like a site that tries to phish personal information from you, like bank details etc?

And what logic do you want Safari to use to determine that a site is "dangerous"?

I'd rather Apple add a feature to Mail that alerts the user when a link is not what it claims to be. For example:
http://www.microsoft.com (http://www.apple.com)

That's where people really get phished in.

derryquinn
Aug 25, 2008, 09:06 AM
Why is there no "I hope this will make Safari Snappier!" comment yet!

Hell has just frozen over

Otaviano
Aug 25, 2008, 09:11 AM

Yeah, that's what was said about Netscape back in the day. Blink, frames, marquee! The future! Rubbish.

Oh sweet irony.

What does this have to do with Apple? These are CSS3 specifications, that are being drafted by W3C. Which has nothing to do with do with Apple. So let's review:

- Apple hasn't developed these features.

- Apple hasn't even implemented them into Safari, they've been added by default because Safari uses WebKit, which is independent of Apple.

These features are not proprietary and are openly available to all web browsers. They will make it into Firefox, Opera, and even Internet Explorer.

Rocketman
Aug 25, 2008, 09:24 AM

It never gets posted when Safari will actually in real life get "significantly snappier", only when some minimal bug fix is taunting users to detect the most minor of changes in the Safari snappy experience. You see this is a very complicated thing, this "Safari is snappier" mantra.

Rocketman

gibbz
Aug 25, 2008, 09:26 AM

Fine, I'll sacrifice my reputation on this one.

Hey guys, I just got ahold of 4.0 and it seems snappier!! :)

wizard
Aug 25, 2008, 09:29 AM
Just to bring this home for people who miss hearing iPhone news: IIRC, iPhone Safari doesn't yet use SquirrelFish, so it too stands to get faster in future :)

The title pretty much says it all. Safari on iPhone is buggy as hell, crashes way to much and does some rather strange things. So I do hope the bugs are addressed first. A few features wouldn't hurt either including a search function and a button to scroll to the end of a page. Touch as an interface is rather nice except when moving around in large documents, getting to the end of a long page such as these forums is more of a pain than I think Apple realizes.

Dave

wizard
Aug 25, 2008, 09:44 AM

It is not hell freezing over it is just the reality that in this case it really will be snappier. It is not just an unsubstantiated opinion either and can be verified by anyone downloading and running WebKit.

Frankly it has been a month or two since I've downloaded a nightly but they have made great strides. Interestingly the Firefox people are now claiming good improvements in their interpetter also. With the standard for ECMA script stable I think we will be seeing much more in the way of browser optimization. Browser are a key part of a good user experience on modern computers and the vendors know this. So I expect to see things getting snappier, cleaner and more efficent for the user for some time to come.

Dave

morespce54
Aug 25, 2008, 10:06 AM
I guess they'll release it when/with iTunes 8...
I tell you, we'll be at 10.5.9 by Christmas!!! ;)

FightTheFuture
Aug 25, 2008, 10:09 AM
i'm surprised to see Safari getting updated so quickly. historically Safari has slowly made point releases. most notably was Safari 2's RSS aggregator and Safari 3's new standards. perhaps growing Safari marketshare is the reason behind the ramped improvements? iPhone Safari and the semi-auto iTunes added download?

Applepwns
Aug 25, 2008, 10:22 AM
can't wait =D

theheadguy
Aug 25, 2008, 10:33 AM
apple: please fix the proxy authentication for windows safari. anyone behind a secured government network cant use it in its current public build. please fix this!! if anyone knows if they fixed this, please tell.

HLdan
Aug 25, 2008, 10:59 AM
Today button is working great for me!

Same here, the Today button isn't broken. I don't know what that other guy is talking about but I'm not having any issues with it. :)

pohl
Aug 25, 2008, 11:02 AM
I don't follow Safari much, or the browser wars for that matter, but by exactly what you said, doesn't that mean Firefox is based on open standards, whereas Apple is attempting to do an external lockdown. By preventing third-party apps, doesn't that, for all intents and purposes, limit the browser effectiveness?

I can understand why it might seem this way to someone not following the browser wars. But it turns out that the standards that browsers are based on are things like HTML, XHTML, XML, CSS, XSLT, DOM, ECMAscript (a.k.a. JavaScript)... Sometimes browsers add features that eventually make it into the specifications for these standards. The Firefox extension API is not based on an open standard. It's Firefox-specific, much like the ActiveX API is proprietary to IE. So it's not really right to compare it to actual browser standards like you have. I mean, if you can accuse Apple of attempting to lock down external apps by not supporting the Firefox extension API, then you can also accuse Firefox of trying to lock down extetrnal app developers by not having ActiveX support.

While you can do some amazing things with FF's extension API, it's not really related to the open standards debate at all.

Testify
Aug 25, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hello,

first timer on this forum! I've been following this site for a couple of months now and i love it!

Ok,

My gf and I owns a MacBook Pro 17'' bought in may 08. We have issues with the Airport regarding that it from times to times start scanning the network causing the speed of the browsing to slow down. It is really an annoying issus.

I've looked alot on the internet on other sites and some ppl seems to have the same problem...

We've tried every possible solutions found on the internet ( updating router, changing the channel of our router ... )

Any of you trying the new release can tell me if Apple corrected this?

Thanks for the informations.

Great board :)

Peace
Aug 25, 2008, 11:12 AM

Ditto.

I sent 4 in in the first 20 minutes.

SandynJosh
Aug 25, 2008, 11:16 AM
And what logic do you want Safari to use to determine that a site is "dangerous"?

I'd rather Apple add a feature to Mail that alerts the user when a link is not what it claims to be.

I find that Mail does that very well for me. When I let the cursor hover over the url shown in the email, it lets me see if the link matched the shown address, which it doesn't when it's a phising link.

highjumppudding
Aug 25, 2008, 11:21 AM
Looking forward to 10.5.5 and Safari 4. Bring on Snow Leopard!!! MW '09

It seems there is rapid production of 10.5.5 builds which is showing progress and an imminent release. Late September hopefully...

kinless
Aug 25, 2008, 11:40 AM
I like how it's scoring a 98% on the Acid3 test. Only the second-to-last box is failing to render the proper color.

The first run got 3 "pass-but-slow" notifications.
Subsequent runs got only 1 "pass-but-slow" notification.

Almost there... keep it up!

Riemann Zeta
Aug 25, 2008, 12:25 PM
Kind of sucks how this build is less stable than the original Safari 4 DP1 build. Perhaps turning off QuartzGL support for Safari will help (I have it enabled system-wide, but one can add a 'Disable For This App' flag to the info.plist of any app). However, Safari uses more text than any other app, so it would be nice if it worked with QuartzGL. Sad to see that Apple just gave up on QuartzGL--it could have been cool.

slb
Aug 25, 2008, 12:26 PM

Oh sweet irony.

These features are specified in CSS3.

Oh, wait, you're just trolling.

GenericUsername
Aug 25, 2008, 12:42 PM
...Apple released a new Safari 4.0 Developer Preview for Leopard, Windows and Tiger.
Ah, crap. My elderly father has an iBook G3 running Panther. Mozilla doesn't offer Firefox 3 for Panther and will stop supporting Firefox 2 later this year (in December, IIRC). Am I going to have to install Tiger on his iBook for security's sake? Then again, he doesn't do any online banking or the like; the only passwords he uses are for e-mail accounts. So maybe he'll be fine with unsupported browsers.

Dmac77
Aug 25, 2008, 12:44 PM
Hello,

first timer on this forum! I've been following this site for a couple of months now and i love it!

Ok,

My gf and I owns a MacBook Pro 17'' bought in may 08. We have issues with the Airport regarding that it from times to times start scanning the network causing the speed of the browsing to slow down. It is really an annoying issus.

I've looked alot on the internet on other sites and some ppl seems to have the same problem...

We've tried every possible solutions found on the internet ( updating router, changing the channel of our router ... )

I'll be nice:p
It would have been more appropriate to post this in the Mac Peripherals forum. Safari is a web browser, it has nothing to do with the speed of your router. So go start a thread in the Peripherals forum, and the chances of getting help will be much higher.

Welcome to MacRumors!

Don

Dmac77
Aug 25, 2008, 12:47 PM
Ah, crap. My elderly father has an iBook G3 running Panther. Mozilla doesn't offer Firefox 3 for Panther and will stop supporting Firefox 2 later this year (in December, IIRC). Am I going to have to install Tiger on his iBook for security's sake? Then again, he doesn't do any online banking or the like; the only passwords he uses are for e-mail accounts. So maybe he'll be fine with unsupported browsers.
I would recommend installing Tiger on the iBook (I'm running it on mine) and I find that it is faster then panther. I would recommend maxing out the RAM if you can afford it ($40 for a 512 stick), and disabling Dashboard (can be done through a terminal command).

Don

Willis
Aug 25, 2008, 12:54 PM
The new Safari 4 seems less stable. Its crashed twice on me already within an hour.

*shakes fist*

MarcBook
Aug 25, 2008, 01:04 PM
Oh, looks like Safari 4 won't be released for Tiger... that's a shame. :rolleyes:
I find that legacy Mac OS versions lose support for new applications much more quickly than Windows. XP is still supported by almost every new Windows program.

Still, I'm not defending Windows. I do love Tiger's now retro look, though. :p

Edit: Oops, I think the preview is available for Tiger. It's just not mentioned here.

Peace
Aug 25, 2008, 01:06 PM
Oh, looks like Safari 4 won't be released for Tiger... that's a shame. :rolleyes:
I find that legacy Mac OS versions lose support for new applications much more quickly than Windows. XP is still supported by almost every new Windows program.

Still, I'm not defending Windows. I do love Tiger's now retro look, though. :p

Safari 4 build 40A8 for Tiger.;)

Testify
Aug 25, 2008, 01:52 PM
I'll be nice:p
It would have been more appropriate to post this in the Mac Peripherals forum. Safari is a web browser, it has nothing to do with the speed of your router. So go start a thread in the Peripherals forum, and the chances of getting help will be much higher.

Welcome to MacRumors!

Don

Oh my bad, I thought this thread was regarding the new seed of Mac OSX too!

And maybe I badly expressed myself ( english isn't my 1st language ) but the problem is in the OS itself not in the router.. the airport doesn't stop from scanning from time to time. Alot of ppl have that problem in the apple support forum. This bug was introduced in the lastest version of OSX.

Anyway.. thanks for being nice on me :) I'll search somewhere else.

motulist
Aug 25, 2008, 01:55 PM
Part of what I like about iCal is its simplicity.

Adding more basic functions doesn't require an increase in complexity at all! For instance, ical can't move more than one even at the same time. All that would need to be added to have that functionality is that when you hold down shift to select multiple events then all your commands apply to all the selected events. So if I have shift-clicked several events to select them, when I drag any of the selected items later by an hour then they all move later by an hour. This would add zero complexity to using the program as you currently do because it adds nothing to the interface if you aren't trying to use this function.

The Tall One
Aug 25, 2008, 02:06 PM
"storage of data either locally or just for the user's session"

Is that crucial for a functioning web browser?

Willis
Aug 25, 2008, 02:08 PM
I've now removed the New Safari 4 and reinstalled the previous version. Straight away its smoother and doesnt lag. I can actually scroll too without a crash!

Amazing

JAYGEE
Aug 25, 2008, 02:26 PM

I'd rather Apple add a feature to Mail that alerts the user when a link is not what it claims to be. For example:
http://www.microsoft.com (http://www.apple.com)

That's where people really get phished in.

What's wrong with having both? :confused:

happydude
Aug 25, 2008, 02:33 PM

yep, and please make it crash as often as you can so apple will fix whatever is making these crashes happen!! not that they'll fix everything before releasing it into the wild . . .

electronboy
Aug 25, 2008, 02:42 PM
It looks like Apple might separate Safari development from the OS, similar to iTunes. If so, this would be a very positive development. :D

I recently switched to Firefox and have encouraged others to do the same because browsers supplied with the OS have traditionally only seen major improvements with major OS releases, which does not fit our development model.

twoodcc
Aug 25, 2008, 03:26 PM
sound good. maybe this will help out mobileme

terryzx
Aug 25, 2008, 03:26 PM
About time that did something with Safari

For the last month it has been crashing constantly, especially when on php based sites. This NEVER happens with FF:mad:

kerryn
Aug 25, 2008, 03:56 PM
Hah! Yeah right!

Still better than XP. That doesn't even come with a calendar! Can't comment about Vista, I dumped windows and when to Leopard :) Still, who uses iCal? I use Google Calendar now....

pizzach
Aug 25, 2008, 03:58 PM
- Apple hasn't even implemented them into Safari, they've been added by default because Safari uses WebKit, which is independent of Apple.
I have a hard time believing that WebKit is totally independent of Apple. They after all are the ones who started it, changed it enough to make backporting new features to khtml non-trivial and eventually kill the parent project khtml. (The khtml people gave up on the khtml branch and switch to the webkit one.)

These features are not proprietary and are openly available to all web browsers. They will make it into Firefox, Opera, and even Internet Explorer.

I don't think you know what proprietary is. Many W3C standards started as proprietary. Usually proprietary is thought of as an extensi

on to web technology only one web browser supports and/or W3C has nothing written about either.

What's nice about proprietary CSS extensions nowadays is that webkit prefixes them with "-webkit", and moz prefixes them with "-moz". Another words, they are declaring that what hey have made is currently proprietary and should only be used at your own risk.

Proprietary extensions are a good way to show demonstrations of technology, allowing the W3C to think about what would be a good standard and how the implementation should be modified.

Being open source has little to do with weather the web browser's feature is proprietary or not. For example, Mozilla's "-moz-opacity" is a proprietary extension to css.

Eric S.
Aug 25, 2008, 05:05 PM
Oh my bad, I thought this thread was regarding the new seed of Mac OSX too!

And maybe I badly expressed myself ( english isn't my 1st language ) but the problem is in the OS itself not in the router.. the airport doesn't stop from scanning from time to time. Alot of ppl have that problem in the apple support forum. This bug was introduced in the lastest version of OSX.

Anyway.. thanks for being nice on me :) I'll search somewhere else.

The title of this thread includes the new seed of 10.5.5.

BUT, in response to your original question, anyone who knows anything about the OS update probably cannot talk about it without violating their NDA. So you are probably not going to get an answer at this time.

Testify
Aug 25, 2008, 05:52 PM
The title of this thread includes the new seed of 10.5.5.

BUT, in response to your original question, anyone who knows anything about the OS update probably cannot talk about it without violating their NDA. So you are probably not going to get an answer at this time.

Ok, thanks! :)

weckart
Aug 25, 2008, 06:21 PM
Hello,

Ok,

It's not the "scanning" that is the problem, scanning is what a wireless receiver is supposed to do. It is more the instability of the whole setup, probably due to the drivers, which leads to dropped connections and an inability to get along with certain hardware combinations.

From what I am reading on forums where others have played with 10.5.5, Apple seems finally to have taken steps to address this problem. Some very positive noises, there. We shall see.

akac
Aug 25, 2008, 06:37 PM
"storage of data either locally or just for the user's session"

Is that crucial for a functioning web browser?

Yep, if that web browser is supporting HTML5 standard where a web application can store data locally such as Google Gears does.

Catfish_Man
Aug 25, 2008, 06:44 PM
Kind of sucks how this build is less stable than the original Safari 4 DP1 build. Perhaps turning off QuartzGL support for Safari will help (I have it enabled system-wide, but one can add a 'Disable For This App' flag to the info.plist of any app). However, Safari uses more text than any other app, so it would be nice if it worked with QuartzGL. Sad to see that Apple just gave up on QuartzGL--it could have been cool.

One reason QGL *isn't* on system-wide is that it slows Safari down ;)

iMacmatician
Aug 25, 2008, 06:57 PM
I like how it's scoring a 98% on the Acid3 test. Only the second-to-last box is failing to render the proper color.

The first run got 3 "pass-but-slow" notifications.
Subsequent runs got only 1 "pass-but-slow" notification.

Almost there... keep it up!WebKit already gets 100/100 and passes the Acid3 test. I hope Safari will too once Safari 4 is released.

Riemann Zeta
Aug 25, 2008, 07:49 PM
The Safari DP2 build passes the Acid3 test on my machine--100/100 on the first try. The older DP1 build got a 98/100.

"Are you hearing me like I'm hearing you...I can't explain where I've been, but now I think I see the light...now I'm home and I'm free, did I pass the acid test?"
(The Chemical Brothers)

outdata326
Aug 25, 2008, 09:17 PM
Just uninstalled 4.0 because I could not get System Prefs to let me change my screen saver, kept quitting . And the SS would not start. Uninstalled to see if that would fix it and it worked anyone else want to verify this I am using Leopard 10.5.4 all updates.

gikku
Aug 25, 2008, 10:14 PM
well, I'm running the Developer preview 5526.11.2 which i wanted to try out, and basically forgot about, as I HAVE been using it as my primary browser, and have had virtually no problems at all. Seems to be as stable as the last v3 version for me.

same here.
running the 4 Developer Preview 526.12.2 no issues, basically forgot about it and I HAVE been using it as my alternate browser, and have had no problems at all.

kabunaru
Aug 25, 2008, 10:41 PM
Any idea when we might see Mac OS 10.5.5 to be released?

Peace
Aug 25, 2008, 10:44 PM

I'd venture to guess sometime in September.

mayanka89
Aug 25, 2008, 10:50 PM

Maybe released concurrently with new Macs at the supposed event on the 9th of September?

kaiwai
Aug 25, 2008, 11:48 PM
the option for opening in 64 bit mode is gone for both the safari app and for any web apps. weird..

Given that there are no 64bit plugins, its a pretty much pointless 'feature'.

Maybe by the time Snow Leopard comes out there will be a 64bit flash plugin + others.

macwall
Aug 25, 2008, 11:58 PM
i'm excited for the safari 4 build

tbohlsennswssrg
Aug 26, 2008, 01:16 AM
Still, who uses iCal? I use Google Calendar now....

I use both :) You can integrate Google Calendar with iCal by going to the Calendar Settings and Selecting the "iCal" URL (see image below)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3180/2798479261_d2bd8d6b00_o.jpg

Cromulent
Aug 26, 2008, 04:24 AM

They haven't given up on it. It is down to the developer of the application to decide whether to enable it for their application or not rather than making it a system wide setting. Which, in my opinion, is the intelligent way of doing it.

Mekgek
Aug 26, 2008, 05:57 AM
Hmmm Mail.app crashes all the time after I installed the new safari developer preview. Uninstalled and everything is fine now.

Darkroom
Aug 26, 2008, 06:54 AM
i can't watch the new iPhone ads (no big deal) on apple's very own website because Safari will always crash... now that's what i call a problem...

Riemann Zeta
Aug 26, 2008, 08:37 AM
Well, I added a "QuartzGLEnable = NO" flag to the Info.plist of the new Safari and it seems less crashy when scrolling. This way I can keep QGL enabled on my machine but still use the new build. It is odd that the old build seemed to have no problems with QGL--I never touched the Info.plist file.

BWhaler
Aug 26, 2008, 06:39 PM
Hah! Yeah right!

You're right. iCal is, without a doubt, the worst application Apple makes. Steve clearly never uses it. Hell, Apple didn't use it internally until this version.

I hope that with Apple getting serious about competing with exchange/blackberry, iphone in the enterprise, etc., we will finally see a calendar program from Apple that doesn't have the functionality of something from 1991.

But, I am not optimistic. I have been waiting since 10.2.0 for an iCal which didn't suck. And, through the years, iCal has continued to suck, and suck badly.