Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barijazz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2007
Is there any system in place like netflix except for cds? Not a cd trading service but renting. Thanks.

helimx

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2008
Is there any system in place like netflix except for cds? Not a cd trading service but renting. Thanks.

why would you want to do this? I mean no disrespect, just curious, that's all.

I mean, with all the "napsters, limewires, etc", I would think that it would be a failing business plan from the get go... just my .02:eek:

munson

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2008
Boston, MA
why would you want to do this? I mean no disrespect, just curious, that's all.

I mean, with all the "napsters, limewires, etc", I would think that it would be a failing business plan from the get go... just my .02:eek:

Well, some people like the whole "CD" experience, similar to that of vinyl (but not as good in my opinion). Also, it is rather tough to find some lesser known things on the internet, and often times the files are not high enough quality for some people's standards (I happen to like Apple Lossless, which is nearly impossible to find online).

But that's me. I don't know about the OP.

Oct 31, 2005
I use LALA.com. It's similar to netflix, but you pay per cd about 1 buck per trade. Works great! I like it!

txhockey9404

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
I just can't listen to mp3s without cringing, I listen to lossless:)

Same here. I just got a 2.1 Mirage and Polk audio setup for music, and some Shure SE210 headphones, and I LOVE them, but I have found the quality of my sound files to be poor after the purchases. Since then, I have upgraded most of my library to the max AAC bit rate, because although I love the lossless sound quality, I cannot fit enough songs on my iPod like that, so I must suffer a bit.

That being said, I get most of my CDs from my local library system. It is free, and completely legal, because they were paid for with tax dollars and neither they nor you are trying to sell them to someone else. (At least that is how I interpreted it :))

So, if you can, go that route. They may be slower to get to you than a Netflix like service, and you have to go get them, but hey, who doesn't like high quality free music?

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Yes, you can borrow CDs from the library, but you're still not allowed to copy them.

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
swapacd.com is good. I've used its sister site, paperbackswap.com, for years, and swapacd has been doing well too.

They have a DVD site too: swapadvd.com, but I've never used that.

Galley

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Hmm...yeah, it gets REALLY annoying when the librarian follows me home to make sure i'm not copying the CD... .. ... .. ...

The librarian might not be stalking you, but perhaps the RIAA is. ;)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Hmm...yeah, it gets REALLY annoying when the librarian follows me home to make sure i'm not copying the CD... .. ... .. ...

So why borrow the CD if you can just download the CD if you plan on pirating anyways? :confused:

munson

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2008
Boston, MA
Less chance of getting caught?

Easier to get better quality audio files in most cases. We already stated above that it was for quality reasons. :)

Also, it's a lot easier to get obscure/underground stuff via CD as opposed to .mp3/FLAC/etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.