PDA

View Full Version : iLife '04 Shipping

MacRumors
Jan 14, 2004, 01:32 PM
Several readers note that their iLife '04 software orders have started shipping as of today (Jan 14th, 2004).

Apple's iLife Suite (http;//www.apple.com/ilife) offers iTunes, updated versions of iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and Apple's new GarageBand application.

The $49 product should also become available at local Apple Stores and Apple Resellers on Janaury 16th, 2004.

agentkow
Jan 14, 2004, 01:35 PM
does this mean if I buy that Powerbook I've been looking at today then I will get iLife all pre-installed?

I hope so.

jayscheuerle
Jan 14, 2004, 01:36 PM
Somebody please post the version number of the new iPhoto because the one that's been floating around (Created 1/02/04, version 4C4) isn't able to show a slideshow on machines without OpenGL and maybe on ones without Quartz Extreme.

It also funked up my library while updating.

Someday, I'll learn better... ;)

SFNE Freak
Jan 14, 2004, 01:39 PM
Yay...wonder if my Dad will pay the up-to-date cost. I'm broke right now.

mxpiazza
Jan 14, 2004, 01:40 PM
i ordered my edu copy the day of the keynote, with the regular ground shipping, and they upgraded me to free 2-day, which pleasantly pleased me, because there was no guarenteed 'order now and recieve by january 16th' like there was for panther.

go apple.

KLFloyd
Jan 14, 2004, 01:40 PM
I ordered my copy of iLife on Sunday the 11th and it said delivery on 1/16. I paid $4 for ground shipping and as of a few minutes ago it shows it's set for delivery via 2-day and will ship on or before 1/15.

For 2-day it better ship today. Hopefully it will go out later this afternoon.

Sonofhaig
Jan 14, 2004, 01:45 PM
Should be in my hands the same day everyone else can get it at an Apple store. I really thought that I'd be seeing this copy around the 19th. Me very happy! :D

Bandit
Jan 14, 2004, 01:45 PM
I ordered an Up-To-Date copy yesterday and I was told that there was no way to track to see when it would arrive. I guess there is no hope of it arriving by Friday since it was ordered that late?

boros
Jan 14, 2004, 01:51 PM
Add me to the list... ordered on the 6th and mine just shipped today...

On another note, copies of both iPhoto 4 and iMovie 4 have been floating around the Net for a week now.

Jerry Spoon
Jan 14, 2004, 01:53 PM
Guess I should get off my rear and order my copy.

jeremyburton66
Jan 14, 2004, 01:57 PM
just got my email from apple YAY its on its way

Kingsnapped
Jan 14, 2004, 01:58 PM
Yup, mine shipped. FedEx doesn't seem to know yet though. GarageBand soon... woo!

Apple][Forever
Jan 14, 2004, 01:58 PM
Mine shipped today, they also upgraded me from ground to 2-day shipping.

caveman_uk
Jan 14, 2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
Somebody please post the version number of the new iPhoto because the one that's been floating around (Created 1/02/04, version 4C4) isn't able to show a slideshow on machines without OpenGL and maybe on ones without Quartz Extreme.

It also funked up my library while updating.

Someday, I'll learn better... ;)
I tried the 4C4 version on my ibook but haven't used it on my main machine where my libraries are. I've got iLife on order anyway so I can wait to really use it in anger...

caveman_uk
Jan 14, 2004, 02:07 PM
I hope Apple Europe don't screw this up like they did Panther. Some people who ordered on the day it was announced didn't get their copy until a week after a release :(

Wonder Boy
Jan 14, 2004, 02:07 PM
reserved mine at the uconn bookstore yesterday. its gonna be a happy birthday!

Mr Jobs
Jan 14, 2004, 02:08 PM
i know the minimum spec for idvd 4 is 733mhz, but does anyone know if my dual 450 will meet the requirement.

Fuchal
Jan 14, 2004, 02:11 PM
I hope mine ships soon... I ordered it the day of the keynote.

Fuchal
Jan 14, 2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Wonder Boy
reserved mine at the uconn bookstore yesterday. its gonna be a happy birthday!

Aww, I didn't think of that... I should have reserved mine at the RIT bookstore! :cool:

MightyB
Jan 14, 2004, 02:13 PM
Will iDvd now work on a machine without a superdrive?

Is that the "archive project" part Steve talked about?

arn
Jan 14, 2004, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by MightyB
Will iDvd now work on a machine without a superdrive?

Is that the "archive project" part Steve talked about?

yep.

arn

roderashe
Jan 14, 2004, 02:18 PM
has anyone who ordered the iLife 'family pack' had a shipping confirmation yet?

MightyB
Jan 14, 2004, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by arn
yep.

arn

that's great...

now another dumb one...do you know the "arhive" size of a 2 hour iDvd project??

wordmunger
Jan 14, 2004, 02:22 PM
According to this page (http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/) burning DVDs requires an Apple Superdrive. So I'm not sure how useful it would be if you don't have one.

johnnyjibbs
Jan 14, 2004, 02:22 PM
I should have ordered earlier. I ordered mine on the Apple UK Education store yesterday and it says it should ship on February 2nd! :(

Either there's lots of demand, or it's the damn Apple UK efficiency again! :mad: :D

bclarkj
Jan 14, 2004, 02:25 PM
Bought my daughter a new iBook G4 at the Apple Store in Alpharetta, GA on Monday night. Apple Employee told me to bring the receipt in on Friday 1/16 and they'd hand me a new copy of the updated iLife.

I continue to like Apple!

Hawthorne
Jan 14, 2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by wordmunger
According to this page (http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/) burning DVDs requires an Apple Superdrive. So I'm not sure how useful it would be if you don't have one.

It's useful for me. I have an iBook that I carry *everywhere*, and a 17" iMac at home. It would be nice to d/l video from the camcorderand edit it in iMovie, and build the menus and themes in iDVD on location in preparation for burning it onto DVD on the iMac when I get home.

MightyB
Jan 14, 2004, 02:27 PM

I don't...but I have access to other macs for "burning purposes". :D

Rick Friele
Jan 14, 2004, 02:29 PM
ILIFE '04 RETAIL-USA M9364LL/A On or before 01/15/2004 $29.00 1 $29.00

Also upgraded to 2-day shipping for free.

Go Apple!

Bandit
Jan 14, 2004, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by bclarkj
Bought my daughter a new iBook G4 at the Apple Store in Alpharetta, GA on Monday night. Apple Employee told me to bring the receipt in on Friday 1/16 and they'd hand me a new copy of the updated iLife.

I continue to like Apple!

I asked the manager of the apple store in st. louis that same question and he told me they couldn't do that and I had to pay the $20 to have it shipped.

wordmunger
Jan 14, 2004, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Hawthorne
It's useful for me. I have an iBook that I carry *everywhere*, and a 17" iMac at home. It would be nice to d/l video from the camcorderand edit it in iMovie, and build the menus and themes in iDVD on location in preparation for burning it onto DVD on the iMac when I get home.

I see. I guess I was wondering if it was possible to burn "mini" DVDs onto regular CDs. Since most home movies are pretty short (or they should be) it would be a cheap way to share them.

Rick Friele

You don't neccessarily have to have Apple's SuperDrive. A Pioneer dual format DVD burner will work fine in iDVD. Recognizes it as a SuperDrive.

johnnyjibbs
Does this archiving feature now mean that new iBooks (and other non-superdrive machines) come with iDVD?

Bandit
Jan 14, 2004, 02:35 PM
They do now. I know 2 people who both just bought an eMac and and iMac with combo drives and the both came with iDVD installed. I wondered why until I saw the new archive feature of iDVD announced at the keynote.

Rick Friele
Jan 14, 2004, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by johnnyjibbs
Does this archiving feature now mean that new iBooks (and other non-superdrive machines) come with iDVD?
What do you mean by 'archiving feature'?

Foxer
Jan 14, 2004, 02:37 PM
I ordered mine after the keynote, and popped for overnight shipping. I just checked my status, and I've been switched to 2 day delivery (with no change in my $13 s/h costs). Of course, it still lists as "open," not "shipped." We'll see what happens.

joker2
Jan 14, 2004, 02:38 PM
Actually, the ones without a superdrive have been coming with it... unless if one product in the line has a superdrive they all get the software... I have a 12" combo drive powerbook, and it came installed on mine. (granted, i need to get this iLife when it comes out to get the new versions of everything.)

MightyB
Jan 14, 2004, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Rick Friele

The previous version of iDvd only allowed you to use it if you had a SuperDrive equipped mac.

Rick Friele
Jan 14, 2004, 02:43 PM
I see. I guess I was wondering if it was possible to burn "mini" DVDs onto regular CDs. Since most home movies are pretty short (or they should be) it would be a cheap way to share them.

You could fit about 8 or 9 minutes of DVD quality footage on a CD (assuming 700MB).

Rick Friele
Jan 14, 2004, 02:45 PM
The previous version of iDvd only allowed you to use it if you had a SuperDrive equipped mac.

What is the archive feature in iDVD now? I must have missed that in the Keynote. Does it just mean you can back-up your DVD's to your HD?

mxpiazza
Jan 14, 2004, 02:45 PM
just wondering...

has anyone with an EDU had their copy shipped yet?

i was upgraded to the 2 day shipping, ordered right after the keynote, but still no shipping confirmation...

johnnyjibbs
Jan 14, 2004, 02:46 PM
The new iDVD allows you to work on a non-superdrive Mac and then save the project "as archive" so you can transfer it to another Mac to burn the DVD.

--
I didn't think that non-superdrive machines used to get it because one of the 'parts' of my PowerBook order was "Keyboard + iDVD", which was separate form the operating system. I thought this wasn't included on the combo systems (and didn't even install?). Still, it's nice to have it all the same!

Well, I need to forget about it all now - my new iLife order will not get here for about another 3 weeks!

Bandit
Jan 14, 2004, 02:48 PM
What is the archive feature in iDVD now? I must have missed that in the Keynote. Does it just mean you can back-up your DVD's to your HD?

Check out the upper right hand corner of http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/newfeatures.html

Rick Friele
Jan 14, 2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by mxpiazza
just wondering...

i was upgraded to the 2 day shipping, ordered right after the keynote, but still no shipping confirmation...

Mine is still listed as Open, but is due here by tomorrow.

Rick Friele
Jan 14, 2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Bandit
Check out the upper right hand corner of http://www.apple.com/ilife/idvd/newfeatures.html

That's awesome. So you can pretty much do everything in the project but burn on a machine with no SuperDrive. Then when you move the project to a machine with a SuperDrive, all you have to do is burn the project to DVD.

wordmunger
Jan 14, 2004, 02:54 PM
You could fit about 8 or 9 minutes of DVD quality footage on a CD (assuming 700MB).

Sounds about right :)

Anything more for most home movies would put me to sleep!

Bandit
Jan 14, 2004, 02:58 PM
That's awesome. So you can pretty much do everything in the project but burn on a machine with no SuperDrive. Then when you move the project to a machine with a SuperDrive, all you have to do is burn the project to DVD.

You got it. I am going to be making iDVD projects on my Cube in no time.

kirs
Jan 14, 2004, 03:02 PM
Mine shipped today from PA. I should have it for the weekend. I also ordered the keyboard which does not ship until 01/21/2004.

stoid
Jan 14, 2004, 03:06 PM
Hmmmm, I ordered last Thursday, and mine is still listed as 'Open'.

Freakk123
Jan 14, 2004, 03:07 PM
I ordered mine w/in an hour after the keynote, but haven't gotten a shipping confirmation yet. Its overnight, because I am going away on friday and was hoping to receive it by tomorrow, like the last time an iLife update was released (it came 1 day early). Hope to get the shiipping confirmation soon.

Engagebot
Jan 14, 2004, 03:09 PM
my edu discount iLife shipped out today. anyone else?

oh yeah, and my 15' powerbook came with iDVD installed even though i got the combo drive.

i've already got 7 dvd burners that i use at work (video editor). So i'm assuming iDVD 'archive' feature is just a weird project file type, or is it just a disc image type thing. if it just pumped out an .ISO, now THAT would be useful...

Rick Friele
Jan 14, 2004, 03:09 PM
Sounds about right :)

Anything more for most home movies would put me to sleep! ;)

brooklyn
Jan 14, 2004, 03:10 PM
just wondering...

I ordered mine through the State & Local Government Employees link for $24.50 and it's shipped!

Engagebot
Jan 14, 2004, 03:14 PM
full DV video is about 220MB per minute. Before you recompress the video for DVD, the full quality clips alone are gonna run you around 30GB.

I film MBA classes and ship out DVDs to people in the distance learning program. My full 3 hour lectures come to about 30GB just when they're captured.

wyomingmac
Jan 14, 2004, 03:20 PM
Bought ilife 2 days before annoucement of new version. Apple wouldn't do anything about it after I waited for 45 minutes to speak to someone.

Foxer
Jan 14, 2004, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by wyomingmac
Bought ilife 2 days before annoucement of new version. Apple wouldn't do anything about it after I waited for 45 minutes to speak to someone.

How does that make the software package a ripoff?

rjfiske
Jan 14, 2004, 03:38 PM

Bought ilife 2 days before annoucement of new version.

2 days before the keynote (the announcement)? How did you do this?

Apple wouldn't do anything about it after I waited for 45 minutes to speak to someone.

... wouldn't do what, exactly?

iLife is ripoff (your subject line)

How does the above translate to iLife being a ripoff since you didn't mention price?

Please clarify...

EDIT: okay the lightbulb just went off... you mean you bought the OLD iLife 2 days before the NEW iLife was announced and then you tried to upgrade because it had only been two days... I get it. Sorry wyomingmac.
- rjf

Nik_Doof
Jan 14, 2004, 03:56 PM
Est. Shipping 22nd for me :(

Oh well i did just order it today :P

tny
Jan 14, 2004, 04:31 PM
that's great...

now another dumb one...do you know the "arhive" size of a 2 hour iDvd project??

Well, assuming that I remember correctly that the new version of iDVD will allow 2-hour DVDs, it should be 4.7 GB or so (maybe a little more).

tny
Jan 14, 2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by Engagebot
full DV video is about 220MB per minute. Before you recompress the video for DVD, the full quality clips alone are gonna run you around 30GB.

I film MBA classes and ship out DVDs to people in the distance learning program. My full 3 hour lectures come to about 30GB just when they're captured.

But the question was how big the iDVD archive file would be, no? Not how big the raw DV video would be ... Current iDVD fits 90 minutes to a DVD; supposedly the new one will compress for 2 hours (which of course means a quality dropoff). I would imagine that the archive program would create a DVD image (ISO) file. But that's only because that's the way I'd do it.

pimentoLoaf
Jan 14, 2004, 04:53 PM
Just ordered my copy w/2nd day shipping. Estimated ship date is Friday 16 Jan.

They don't have an Edirol PCR-50 (http://www.edirol.com/products/info/pcr50.html), so I'll have to get that elsewhere.

ThomasJefferson
Jan 14, 2004, 04:55 PM
I am still holding out for "iGevalia", so my iBook can interface with my coffee machine over the internet.

martin
Jan 14, 2004, 05:14 PM

Check out Toast 6. It can create VCDs and SVCDs on regular blank CDs, though rumor has it (hey, we are on MacRumors after all) that the SVCDs don't necessarily work...

There are other SVCD creation tools for the Mac. Have a look around. VCD quality is about VHS standard, and most DVD players will play VCDs.

martin
Jan 14, 2004, 05:16 PM

Sorry. Note for the future: don't buy ANYTHING just before MacWorld.

Tommy Wasabi
Jan 14, 2004, 05:17 PM
Ordered mine the day of the keynote with my edu discount, got the keyboard and the extra sounds for GarageBand too. Keyboard is b/o for another week, but other stuff (according FedEx) should be here tomorrow (heck since I only paid 29, what's a another few extra bucks for overnight shipping?

Under promise and over deliver - now if I could upload my songs to iTMS - Apple would be my God!

martin
Jan 14, 2004, 05:21 PM
Apple says: Because archiving lets you save iDVD projects as self-contained units that are completely portable. Start them on one Mac. Finish them on another.

Sounds like an archive isn't a disk image of a completed project, but more like a single file that contains the unfinished project. So you can still edit menus, layouts etc.

Kingsnapped
Jan 14, 2004, 05:28 PM
I had a big argument with myself over weather I should spring for two day shipping or not, I thought I was doing the right thing in choosing it.
/D'oh!

performand
Jan 14, 2004, 06:03 PM
I feel really cheated by the pricing of Apple Europe:

iLife 04 in Apple Store (EDU) Germany: 40,70 (thats 34,00 plus 16% VAT)
plus 7,90 for shipping
= 48,60

According to the current exchange rate in Apple's own Calculator, that equals
US$ 61,96!!!!

When I see people in the States getting their copie of iTunes for US$ 29,- (approximately 22,75), I get really angry. How can Apple justify this! That's ridiculous!

(And I don't even try to think about the iPod Mini, which will be sold at 299. Thats 380 bucks!)

centauratlas
Jan 14, 2004, 06:03 PM
Final Cut Express is shipping too - not just iLife. Mine shipped on Jan 12 and (according to UPS) for delivery Jan 14th. Tracking shows it arrived in town this afternoon. I imagine they'll deliver it tomorrow though.

bikertwin
Jan 14, 2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by martin
Apple says: Because archiving lets you save iDVD projects as self-contained units that are completely portable. Start them on one Mac. Finish them on another.

Sounds like an archive isn't a disk image of a completed project, but more like a single file that contains the unfinished project. So you can still edit menus, layouts etc.

Yeah, Apple's iDVD site makes it sound like you author on one machine and burn on another.

But it will probably be that you start authoring on one machine, then finish authoring & encoding & burning on the second machine. Seems that way since everyone's talking about using iBooks.

Oh, wait. iBooks have G4s now, so I guess you could author & encode on the first machine and just burn on the second. I guess we'll see on Friday.

Also, no one seemed to answer a previous poster's question about whether iLife '04 Family Pack is shipping yet. Can anyone confirm this? We're all being legal and buying the Family Pack if you have both a notebook and desktop Mac, right? ;-)

martin
Jan 14, 2004, 06:59 PM
My guess (since I don't want to wait a day or two to actually get the facts :D ) is that the movies will be MPEG2 encoded on the first machine (since that happens in the background as soon as you import them into the iDVD project) and that the menus etc will remain editable but all will be packed up into one archive.

Kind of like what the *.dvdproj files are at the moment. When you re-open a project, all the movies are encoded but you have to go through the encoding process for the menus again before burning.

WM.
Jan 14, 2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by tny
Current iDVD fits 90 minutes to a DVD; supposedly the new one will compress for 2 hours (which of course means a quality dropoff).
Actually, it doesn't. Judging by the keynote, the new version uses a new codec, so you'll get two hours of video with better quality than you previously got with 90 minutes.

WM

WM.
Jan 14, 2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Foxer
I ordered mine after the keynote, and popped for overnight shipping. I just checked my status, and I've been switched to 2 day delivery (with no change in my $13 s/h costs). Of course, it still lists as "open," not "shipped." We'll see what happens.
I imagine you'll get your copy on Friday like everyone else, although there's a possibility you'll get it tomorrow.

For Panther and iLife '04--the last two major Apple SW releases--Apple has specified "Del. by xx/xx" "ship dates". These seem to be the same for everyone, no matter what level of shipping you choose. Basically, Apple will ship copies out today and tomorrow. Today's will get 2-day shipping, tomorrow's will get overnight. Again, I'm pretty sure this is independent of what shipping level you chose when ordering. I'm not sure how legal/ethical it is, but it sure is great for us cheapskates who choose ground for everything!! :) For you who chose overnight...well, you're subsidizing the 2-day for the rest of us, I guess. *shrug*

As for my/our copy of iLife, I ordered it last night at 10:51 PM PST, with ground shipping based on past experience with Panther (which I ordered with ground; it came about three hours before the launch events started at the Apple Stores on this coast). As of an hour ago, iLife was supposed to ship today for delivery on Friday. Presumably that means 2-day shipping (didn't check the thing where it says what level of shipping you'll get).

WM

rdowns
Jan 14, 2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Wasabi
Ordered mine the day of the keynote with my edu discount, got the keyboard and the extra sounds for GarageBand too. Keyboard is b/o for another week, but other stuff (according FedEx) should be here tomorrow (heck since I only paid 29, what's a another few extra bucks for overnight shipping?

Under promise and over deliver - now if I could upload my songs to iTMS - Apple would be my God!

A public forum for uploading songs would make a nice addition to .Mac. Apple Corps might have a problem with it.

martin
Jan 14, 2004, 07:15 PM
That's what I was thinking. You can upload movies, photos, slideshows and documents, let's get the music up there!

I suppose you could always upload your music as part of a Quicktime slideshow.

sethypoo
Jan 14, 2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by arn
yep.

arn

So much said in so few words :)

Mine says it's shipped, although Fed-Ex says the tracking number hasn't been scanned yet.

I sure hope I get it on Friday! GarageBand would be great to have over the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. My whole family has plans except for me :(.

pilotgi
Jan 14, 2004, 07:36 PM
My iLife also shipped today. My order at the Apple store says FedEx 2 day so maybe I'll get it by Friday.

I placed my order on 01/10/04.

mxpiazza
Jan 14, 2004, 07:46 PM
if yours says 2-day and has not shipped by tonight, worry not. the same thing happned to me with the panther release, and they'll change it to overnight shipping and send it out tomorrow. everyone with the shipping date of "on or before 1/15/2004" will get their copy friday.

sethypoo
Jan 14, 2004, 07:58 PM
if yours says 2-day and has not shipped by tonight, worry not. the same thing happned to me with the panther release, and they'll change it to overnight shipping and send it out tomorrow. everyone with the shipping date of "on or before 1/15/2004" will get their copy friday.

I hope you're right. It depends on whether or not Apple puts the same kind of push on iLife '04 as it did on Panther.

mxpiazza
Jan 14, 2004, 08:02 PM
ahhh, sethypoo, of 'raising money for your girlfriend's powerbook' fame...

yeah, i hope i'm right too, if only for the fact that i ordered my edu copy directly after the keynote and my order is still open.

Mackie99
Jan 14, 2004, 08:14 PM
Has anyone that bought the uptodate version of iLife received confirmation of it being shipped?

Mine says on or before 1/15 and still shows as ground/parcel.

OPEN.

Thanks.

mxpiazza
Jan 14, 2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Mackie99
Has anyone that bought the uptodate version of iLife received confirmation of it being shipped?

OPEN.

Thanks.
i got the up-to-date panther, and they upgraded my shipping and made sure i got it on the day it was released... i don't know if they'll treat this release with the same urgency

Rick Friele
Jan 14, 2004, 08:20 PM

OPEN.

Thanks.
Mine says shipped and there is a FedEx number with a link. Says it is due Friday by 4:30. They upgraded me to 2nd day for free.

Mackie99
Jan 14, 2004, 08:24 PM
Rick,

You got the Uptodate version?

Did you originally pick the free ground?

Thanks.

LoopHoles
Jan 14, 2004, 08:30 PM
I ordered my copy on 1/7 along with an accessory and picked free shipping. My order status says "Open Est. Shipping 1/15/2004." We'll see what that means. I'm in Hawaii, so I was not expecting it until next week. Then again, my friend here got panther family pack at 5 PM on the release date.

zyuzin4
Jan 14, 2004, 08:40 PM
Mine says shipped and there is a FedEx number with a link. Says it is due Friday by 4:30. They upgraded me to 2nd day for free.

ditto here...edu order.

sickracer2015
Jan 14, 2004, 09:34 PM
heh I was downgraded to 2 day shipping from overnight.. Oh well either way im still getting it friday..

veedubdrew
Jan 14, 2004, 10:12 PM
I've been upgraded to "priority overnight" from the basic $4 shipping. I ordered through the government page on the sixth.

shuffle1
Jan 14, 2004, 10:19 PM
Hi gang,

Can you tell me the best way to transfer an iDVD archive from an iBook to a Superdrive-equipped machine? I'm guessing Airport, or am I way off here? Thanks a bunch.

shuffle1

martin
Jan 14, 2004, 10:22 PM
1. Airport
2. Ethernet on a network
3. Direct ethernet connection
4. Firewire target disk mode (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20020401233536141)
5. Upload to iDisk ... err, maybe not.

Craiger77
Jan 14, 2004, 11:01 PM
I haven't see this mentioned before, even on Apple's iPhoto 4 page. It seems those of us who post photo galleries to our .Mac site can now edit those galleries. Before it was necessary to delete the whole gallery and upload the whole thing again if you wanted to add any photos to an existing gallery. They also added the ability to upload movies straight from iMovie to .Mac. Here is the blurb Apple sent out today to .Mac subscribers:

Among the enhancements to iPhoto and iMovie included in iLife '04 are two that make sharing your photos and movies with .Mac even easier. In iPhoto 4, if you click HomePage to publish a new album with the same name as a page you've currently got published, up pops a panel from which you can choose to publish a new page, replace the existing one (and the underlying photo folder on your iDisk), or click through to your browser to edit the one that's already there. And in iMovie 4, going from an iMovie to the web is as simple as selecting Share, clicking HomePage, and picking the theme you want. iMovie 4 handles all the rest, including the details of preparing your digital video for the web.

caddisfly
Jan 14, 2004, 11:12 PM
I have a tracking # for my iLife order. Left PA this evening, so I expect it tomorrow (15th)...

I also ordered a 15GB ipod....this thing was tracked from Shanghai *CHINA* on the 13th and it arrived this morning in NC (14th)...via Indiannapolis -> Raleigh.

Kinda scary! I find FedEX absolutely amazing!

sethypoo
Jan 15, 2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by caddisfly
Kinda scary! I find FedEX absolutely amazing!

That, and often aggrevating.

MacFocus
Jan 15, 2004, 12:28 AM

You're not completely right here. One could copy iDVD from a Mac with superdrive to a non-Superdrive Mac. iDVD does work on that non-superdrive Mac. You only have to copy the finished project to Mac with Burner and iDVD.

LoopHoles
Jan 15, 2004, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by LoopHoles
I ordered my copy on 1/7 along with an accessory and picked free shipping. My order status says "Open Est. Shipping 1/15/2004." We'll see what that means. I'm in Hawaii, so I was not expecting it until next week. Then again, my friend here got panther family pack at 5 PM on the release date.

Just shipped tonight from Pennsylvannia, FedEx 2nd day. If I remember it correctly, the cart said "Del. by 1/16" when I ordered, so they're keeping their word.

Engagebot
Jan 15, 2004, 02:56 AM
You should get it by jan 16.

the fedex tracking page shows mine as already been through a couple cities, and its scheduled for 1/16 delivery.

CmdrLaForge
Jan 15, 2004, 04:10 AM
Originally posted by caveman_uk
I hope Apple Europe don't screw this up like they did Panther. Some people who ordered on the day it was announced didn't get their copy until a week after a release :(

I am from Germany and I ordered it the day after the keynote. It says that it ships on 29.Jan. :-(

Cheers
:mad:

caveman_uk
Jan 15, 2004, 08:08 AM
Mine says on or before 2/2/04 - so it looks like another shafting by Apple Europe is on the cards :mad:

EDIT: Although new orders are being quoted as 4-6 days at the store.

We'll see...

njthree
Jan 15, 2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by roderashe

I ordered the ILife-04 Fam. Pak on 1/9 with standard shipping (no cost). Just checked that status and found that shipping has been upgraded to Overnite, Priority (assume FedEx) at no add'l expense. I'm expecting it to arrive tomorrow, 1/16 as promised.

jayscheuerle
Jan 15, 2004, 08:26 AM
If you want to install GarageBand or iDVD. They come on a DVD.

iMovie and iPhoto come on a CD.

- so I've heard...:confused:

Macheath_Messer
Jan 15, 2004, 10:03 AM
I missed my shipment of iLife today. Fedex left a note for me. I'll be picking it up from the delivery center sometime today, because I won't be home when they try to deliver tomorrow. Sweet!
:D

Cale
Jan 15, 2004, 10:26 AM
At what point will new computers be shipping with iLife '04 (with garageband) for free? I imagine that is the next step, but i don't see any implication of that on apple's website.

mxpiazza
Jan 15, 2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
If you want to install GarageBand or iDVD. They come on a DVD.

iMovie and iPhoto come on a CD.

- so I've heard...:confused:

i'm pretty sure in order for your system to even meet the requirements to run/use those programs (processer wise), that your system would come standard with a combo drive at least.

Trekkie
Jan 15, 2004, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by roderashe

I did. Nothing yet.

jayscheuerle
Jan 15, 2004, 10:43 AM
i'm pretty sure in order for your system to even meet the requirements to run/use those programs (processer wise), that your system would come standard with a combo drive at least.

Nope. All you need is a 600MHZ G3 or a G4 for GarageBand. You'll need a DVD drive (not a CDRW) in order to install it.

Specs say that a G3 is enough for iPhoto, but that's not enough. My beige box won't run the new slideshow. I don't know if it's an OpenGL thing or a QuartzExtreme thing.

Chris1127
Jan 15, 2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by MacFocus
You're not completely right here. One could copy iDVD from a Mac with superdrive to a non-Superdrive Mac. iDVD does work on that non-superdrive Mac. You only have to copy the finished project to Mac with Burner and iDVD.

But what about to a PC w/ a DVD burner? <sarcasm>Yeah, I know PCs are the work of the devil, </sarcasm> but it's got a DVD burner and I can't afford a Mac with a SuperDrive right now. :-(

Gizmotoy
Jan 15, 2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Chris1127
But what about to a PC w/ a DVD burner? <sarcasm>Yeah, I know PCs are the work of the devil, </sarcasm> but it's got a DVD burner and I can't afford a Mac with a SuperDrive right now. :-(

That's exactly what I was thinkin. It would be sweet if it offered that capability. If it just saves the DVD to an image file of some sort, then chances are we could rig Nero to burn it somehow. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

wdlove
Jan 15, 2004, 02:16 PM
I like the comment Steve made that iLife '04 will be free with a new Mac. Will probably wait till I get a G5, since I can't currently use iLife. My wife has commented yet, but she can get a student discount at the local University Store.

martin
Jan 15, 2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Chris1127

AFAICT, iDVD saves a project file that is only for iDVD, it doesn't create a completed ISO image. Of course, we will all know better soon...

It would be nice if some smart person could write a bit of software that was a "virtual DVD burner" that iDVD could write to, so we could then transfer the image to a PC as you suggested.

James Craner
Jan 15, 2004, 05:28 PM
I have just got shipping notice that iLife has shipped. Quite happy as my original confirmation said it would not ship until the 27th. However my Final Cut Express upgrade has been pushed back to the 24th Jan, so not everything has gone well. Hopefully this means that others in Europe have got their shipping brought forward.

pimentoLoaf
Jan 15, 2004, 05:34 PM
Ordered late afternoon yesterday (14 Jan) and it's now being shipped. We'll see if I get it tomorrow.

:cool:

TMay
Jan 15, 2004, 06:57 PM
They have iLife in stock, but, won't begin selling them until tomorrow morning. FCE will arrive Tuesday. I'm assuming that the locla CompUSA has them in as well.

I want to get the $99 keyboard, and in my spare time, learn to play. What's a good CD/DVD interactive title to teach an absolute beginner piano?

FriarTuck
Jan 15, 2004, 07:17 PM
I ordered iLife and FCE2 on Jan. 6th, both with a govt ee discount.

FCE2 arrived yesterday via UPS. iLife is showing that it shipped today via FedEx, but the FedEx tracking number isn't functioning at this point.

I have a long weekend coming, so I hope it arrives tomorrow so I can play it on Monday in celebration of MLK day.

I have a dream!

martin
Jan 15, 2004, 07:20 PM
Hopefully David Pogue, musician (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dstripbooks%26field-keywords%3Ddavid%252520pogue%252520music%26store-name%3Dbooks/002-2661292-9706412) and Mac head (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index%3Dstripbooks%26field-keywords%3Ddavid%252520pogue%252520mac%26store-name%3Dbooks/002-2661292-9706412), will publish something soon :)

ALpianoman
Jan 15, 2004, 08:48 PM
Man, I just got an email from Apple stating that they changed my estimated ship date to Jan 21. And I ordered my copy the day of the keynote. How unfair is that?! I read some people on the apple message boards that they ordered their copy on the 11th and already have received theres. :(

Mackie99
Jan 15, 2004, 09:47 PM
I also received an e-mail stating they my uptodate iLife will ship on 1/21.

I check the web site after reading the e-mail and it said on or before 1/21 - ground/parcel.

I checked later, and it said on or before 1/15 - overnite shipping.

Right now it says the same thing and OPEN.

sethypoo
Jan 15, 2004, 10:29 PM
I got my iLife! About it install it on my 12" PowerBook G4.....yippee!

sethypoo
Jan 15, 2004, 10:39 PM
I'd like to confirm that the iLife discs are DVD's. I don't know if that was unclear here or not, but yes, they are in fact DVD's.

ipirate
Jan 15, 2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by martin
It would be nice if some smart person could write a bit of software that was a "virtual DVD burner" that iDVD could write to, so we could then transfer the image to a PC as you suggested.

Man! That would be so sweet. If that happens someone get a hold of me quickly. I have a new iBook and a PC with a DVD burner in it that would be perfect for me!

iJon
Jan 15, 2004, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
I'd like to confirm that the iLife discs are DVD's. I don't know if that was unclear here or not, but yes, they are in fact DVD's.
there is 1 dvd and 1 cd, not plurl with the dvd.

iJon

What's a cubit?
Jan 15, 2004, 11:11 PM
Some of the early reviews and screen shots of iPhoto were of build 4C4, which has a couple of bugs. Is that the version that is shipping? I think you can find it in the "About iPhoto" window.

iJon
Jan 15, 2004, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by What's a cubit?
Some of the early reviews and screen shots of iPhoto were of build 4C4, which has a couple of bugs. Is that the version that is shipping? I think you can find it in the "About iPhoto" window.
yes it is.

iJon

FriarTuck
Jan 15, 2004, 11:59 PM
Jan 15, 2004
9:09 pm
Left FedEx Ramp_
SACRAMENTO CA_

So... Since I have a couple of eMacs with CD-RW drives -- no DVD -- I'm wondering if I can do the firewire target disk thing to get GarageBand on my eMacs via my Superdrive PB. Should work, right?

iJon
Jan 16, 2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by FriarTuck
Jan 15, 2004
9:09 pm
Left FedEx Ramp_
SACRAMENTO CA_

So... Since I have a couple of eMacs with CD-RW drives -- no DVD -- I'm wondering if I can do the firewire target disk thing to get GarageBand on my eMacs via my Superdrive PB. Should work, right?
yeah, just target disc mode the emac, or just copy the packages from the powerbook to the emac.

iJon

martin
Jan 16, 2004, 12:03 AM
It should . The only problem I can see is if the installer wants to place it in a particular (e.g. home) directory. So you might have to Install on the eMacs, using the PB in target disk mode, rather than the other way around. Or maybe even make a disk image of iLife on the PB and transfer it to the eMacs.

McToast
Jan 16, 2004, 12:09 AM
Order Prints doesn't work. First it only let's you pick a print from your library and not any album, and then second, when you click on the "Order Prints" button, nothing happens.

iPhoto 4 also won't work in my Guest User account. When I open the finder in my guest account the iPhoto icon missing (it appears as a generic application icon) and it incorrectly says in get info that the app size is 6.9 MB when it really should be 103 MB. If you double click on the application, nothing happens, iPhoto will not run.

Engagebot
Jan 16, 2004, 02:17 AM
Check this:

I have the FULL AAC recorded by John Mayer and Steve Jobs during the macworld keynote

www.brandoncrismon.com/macworld/garageband.m4a (http://www.brandoncrismon.com/macworld/garageband.m4a)

i'm going to take it down if my website starts to go over its aloted bandwidth for the month (which isnt a lot for a $50/year domain)...

advocate
Jan 16, 2004, 03:27 AM
Wow, Apple really pulled off something great for this launch. I ordered iLife '04 near closing time on the 14th with ground shipping, and now it's showing as shipped "same day"! I might get the product less than 48 hours after placing the order!

caveman_uk
Jan 16, 2004, 05:08 AM
FAO the European Apple Users - Apple sent my shipping notification at 3am last night.

MightyB
Jan 16, 2004, 06:56 AM
I ordered yesterday morning at about 8:30am. It shipped from PA at 7:20PM! :-D

jayscheuerle
Jan 16, 2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by iJon
yes it is. [4C4 Build]

iJon

That's depressing. So much for using iPhoto on my beige G3.

Just another round of misleading specs from Apple I guess...

I'm not even sure if it's possible for Apple not to disappoint me these days...:(

warmd
Jan 16, 2004, 08:25 AM
everytime i see this slogan i wonder to myself: is that a promise or a threat (such as herpes)?

"like MS Office for the rest of your life"

McToast
Jan 16, 2004, 08:32 AM
Check this:

I have the FULL AAC recorded by John Mayer and Steve Jobs during the macworld keynote

www.brandoncrismon.com/macworld/garageband.m4a (http://www.brandoncrismon.com/macworld/garageband.m4a)

i'm going to take it down if my website starts to go over its aloted bandwidth for the month (which isnt a lot for a $50/year domain)...

Very awesome, thanks! I wanted that! (but too bad there is some kind of flaw in the first 4 seconds)

pimentoLoaf
Jan 16, 2004, 08:45 AM
Lucky me. On the truck and on the way.

And me with a sore throat so I can stay home. :D

Mackie99
Jan 16, 2004, 09:48 AM
Well, I got my e-mail today. I checked online and it states shipped 1/15/04 via Fed-Ex Saturday delivery.

It's being shipped to work and we're closed Saturday - Monday. I won't get it until Tuesday.

I'm glad I only paid $21.50....

I would have been pissed if I would have paid full price and paid for overnite shipping.

McToast
Jan 16, 2004, 11:11 AM
4C4 is the pre-release version I hear. So what is the build number for the shipping version?

jayscheuerle
Jan 16, 2004, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by McToast
4C4 is the pre-release version I hear. So what is the build number for the shipping version?

iJon says that's the one that shipped.

McToast
Jan 16, 2004, 11:16 AM
Maybe iJon is wrong.

jayscheuerle
Jan 16, 2004, 11:23 AM
Maybe iJon is wrong.

Always good to get news verified, of course.

Seeing as 4C4 won't run on my machine in entirety...;)

pimentoLoaf
Jan 16, 2004, 11:32 AM
Lucky me. On the truck and on the way.

Came 32 minutes after I posted that. FedEx said before 10:30am CST and 9:17 was mighty fine.

Installed all 'cept iTunes (which was already up-to-date) and iMovie (I have FCE instead).

There are two different disks: one with iTunes, iMovie, and iPhoto on a CD for systems w/o SuperDrive, and another with everything on a DVD for those with SuperDrive.

If you delay registering until you launch a program or two, the URL under the File menu in GarageBand doesn't work. (It's probably the same for all iLife apps.) You'll have to use:

http://www.apple.com/register/appsuite.html (http://www.apple.com/register/appsuite.html)

Keep the box as you'll need the manufacturer's product number during registration.

McToast
Jan 16, 2004, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by pimentoLoaf
Came 32 minutes after I posted that in a white box via FedEx.

Installed all 'cept iTunes (which was already up-to-date) and iMovie (I have FCE instead).

There are two different disks: one with iTunes, iMovie, and iPhoto on a CD for systems w/o SuperDrive, and another with everything on a DVD for those with SuperDrive.

If you delay registering until you launch a program or two, the URL under the File menu in GarageBand doesn't work. (It's probably the same for all iLife apps.) You'll have to use:

http://www.apple.com/register/appsuite.html (http://www.apple.com/register/appsuite.html)

Keep the box as you'll need the manufacturer's product number during registration.

So what version of iPhoto do you have? 4C4 or something else? (go to "About iPhoto")

iJon
Jan 16, 2004, 11:35 AM
Maybe iJon is wrong.
maybe i had it already installed from a retail cd yesterday and im right ;)

iJon

McToast
Jan 16, 2004, 11:39 AM
maybe i had it already installed from a retail cd yesterday and im right ;)

iJon

Okay okay :D

pimentoLoaf
Jan 16, 2004, 11:40 AM
iPhoto: 4.0 (4c4)

GarageBand: 1.0 (7)

iDVD: 4.0

cadilon
Jan 16, 2004, 01:10 PM
Well, I got my e-mail today. I checked online and it states shipped 1/15/04 via Fed-Ex Saturday delivery.

It's being shipped to work and we're closed Saturday - Monday. I won't get it until Tuesday.

I'm glad I only paid $21.50....

I would have been pissed if I would have paid full price and paid for overnite shipping.

I am in that same boat. Was hoping for some GB action on my day off on Monday. Oh well, gives me something to look forward to Tuesday I guess.

Engagebot
Jan 16, 2004, 01:33 PM
not sure where else to put this, but does anyone know what kind of settings they used at the keynote for that stevie ray vaughn type fender overdrive? its not a preset in garageband like i thought... maybe that add on pack?

i cant get anything in here to sound anywhere close. oh well, at least i can mic up the mesa...

El Dandy
Jan 16, 2004, 01:56 PM
I ordered my iLife earlier this week for $29.00 (w/education disscount) and $4.00 ground shipping, they bumped it up to over night for free and I got it just now!! Whoo, time to install

raptorhigh
Jan 16, 2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by El Dandy
I ordered my iLife earlier this week for $29.00 (w/education disscount) and $4.00 ground shipping, they bumped it up to over night for free and I got it just now!! Whoo, time to install

Must be nice, I opted for the 2nd day shipping and I doubt I'll get mine anytime soon. According to FedEx my package is "unaccounted" for.

What's a cubit?
Jan 16, 2004, 04:03 PM
It seems that both the pre-release and shipping versions are labeled 4C4 builds. I was evaluating the pre-release version to see if it would work with my auto web posting software (it does, so I will buy it). In evaluating though, I noticed a number of bugs that I hope are not present in the shipping version. First, as stated by someone else earlier, ordering prints does not work.

Second, I set up a smart album that was supposed to include photos passing either of two tests (logical OR) -- but it only included photos that met both criteria (logical AND). One way to see if there are differences would be to do a checksum on the application file.

Open up a terminal window and do:

/usr/bin/cksum /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

The result I get for the pre-release is:
3177996063 1931776 /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

jayscheuerle
Jan 16, 2004, 07:39 PM
After getting burned by Apple with Panther's not supporting my BTO 2nd monitor card, I hunted down the pre-release version online. Good thing I did, seeing as my other machine fits the specs for iPhoto and yet does not run the slide show.

Apple is CRAPPY about their definition of support.

Trekkie
Jan 16, 2004, 09:17 PM
iLife Family version arrived today. Woo hoo.

Now if the keyboard would just show up as well :(

McToast
Jan 16, 2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by What's a cubit?
It seems that both the pre-release and shipping versions are labeled 4C4 builds. I was evaluating the pre-release version to see if it would work with my auto web posting software (it does, so I will buy it). In evaluating though, I noticed a number of bugs that I hope are not present in the shipping version. First, as stated by someone else earlier, ordering prints does not work.

Second, I set up a smart album that was supposed to include photos passing either of two tests (logical OR) -- but it only included photos that met both criteria (logical AND). One way to see if there are differences would be to do a checksum on the application file.

Open up a terminal window and do:

/usr/bin/cksum /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

The result I get for the pre-release is:
3177996063 1931776 /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/MacOS/iPhoto

Thanks for that information.

CmdrLaForge
Jan 17, 2004, 08:59 AM
After complaining earlier in this thread that iLife was scheduled to ship on 29.Jan I got a notification today that it has already shipped. So - no reason to complain as a german customer.

Even so I am really looking forward for finally getting it I am a little bit concerned about the usability on a 900MHz G3 w/ 256MB . Hope that it works fine. Will see.

Cheers

garybooberry
Jan 17, 2004, 09:32 AM
I went into the Clarendon VA Apple Store to buy iLife.

The only had family packs - derrr.

Trekkie
Jan 17, 2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by CmdrLaForge
[B
Even so I am really looking forward for finally getting it I am a little bit concerned about the usability on a 900MHz G3 w/ 256MB . Hope that it works fine. Will see.

Cheers [/B]

Only thing I'd suggest is upgrading your memory. I'm running it on an iMac G4 800MHz and haven't had any issues.

Would think the extra MHz might offset the G4 compared to what I have, who knows.

coolbreeze
Jan 17, 2004, 10:36 AM
After complaining earlier in this thread that iLife was scheduled to ship on 29.Jan I got a notification today that it has already shipped. So - no reason to complain as a german customer.

Cheers
Don't hold your breath. It works OK on my G3 900 w/640 RAM. The beachball is still a frequent visitor, and it's still sluggish. I don't know what all this "wiz-bang" speed is all about, but I suspect it applies to G4 and above??

The only real noticable difference is the "organize" tab...it seems they signifigantly degraded the resolution of the "preview" pics. Guess that's where the scrolling speed comes from? (marginal at best on a G3).
Again, hype and disappointment. Sigh.

Engagebot
Jan 17, 2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Trekkie
Would think the extra MHz might offset the G4 compared to what I have, who knows.

one hundred mhz doesnt offset altivec and the different sized caches. the G3 is still at a severe disadvantage, especially in this type of use. apps like garageband are going to be extremely math-intensive on a cpu.

iJon
Jan 17, 2004, 12:21 PM
one thing i will recommend is ram, garageband will not run on 256, any more than 2 software instruments and it will crap out, even on a g5. i would at least use 512.

iJon

Engagebot
Jan 17, 2004, 12:26 PM
if i remember correctly, isnt 256 the min requirement just for OSX?

when i got my PB, i couldnt even use 3 or 4 layers in Flash before it would lock down.

i've got 768 now, and garageband works fine. records and plays without a hitch, but doesnt look quite as pretty as Steve's machine at keynote... hehehe. the animation of the timeline is kinda choppy, so you cant rely on watching the playhead for your timing while playing. also the waveform at the bottom doesnt show up until its already been playing, but once it shows up its smooth as butter.

iJon
Jan 17, 2004, 12:29 PM
if i remember correctly, isnt 256 the min requirement just for OSX?

when i got my PB, i couldnt even use 3 or 4 layers in Flash before it would lock down.

i've got 768 now, and garageband works fine. records and plays without a hitch, but doesnt look quite as pretty as Steve's machine at keynote... hehehe. the animation of the timeline is kinda choppy, so you cant rely on watching the playhead for your timing while playing. also the waveform at the bottom doesnt show up until its already been playing, but once it shows up its smooth as butter.
128 is the min.

iJon

Kashchei
Jan 17, 2004, 05:14 PM
I haven't received my version of iLife yet (I'm out of town--just my luck), but I wanted to ask a question of those of you who have already received this software. Once and for all, does iDVD burn DVDs onto SuperDrives only, or will it burn onto other brands of DVD drives as well (recognizing them as SuperDrives)? Inquiring minds--more specifically, those without SuperDrives--want to know!

iJon
Jan 17, 2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Kashchei
I haven't received my version of iLife yet (I'm out of town--just my luck), but I wanted to ask a question of those of you who have already received this software. Once and for all, does iDVD burn DVDs onto SuperDrives only, or will it burn onto other brands of DVD drives as well (recognizing them as SuperDrives)? Inquiring minds--more specifically, those without SuperDrives--want to know!
you must have a superdrive to burn the dvds, simple as that. now you can use it and archive your projects and move them to a superdrive mac.

iJon

CmdrLaForge
Jan 18, 2004, 05:28 AM
you must have a superdrive to burn the dvds, simple as that. now you can use it and archive your projects and move them to a superdrive mac.

iJon

Hi iJon,

isn't there any chance to get iDVD running on a external superdrive ? Some kind of hack ? Is it possible to use it together with Toast ?

Cheers

iJon
Jan 18, 2004, 12:36 PM
Hi iJon,

isn't there any chance to get iDVD running on a external superdrive ? Some kind of hack ? Is it possible to use it together with Toast ?

Cheers
there may be a hack but i wouldnt get to excited. if its such a big deal just go buy a superdrive and repace it in your mac, unless you have a laptop.

iJon

titaniumducky
Jan 18, 2004, 02:37 PM
Hi iJon,

Cheers

I'm pretty sure that with iDVD 04 you can design the project then use Toast to burn it onto your non-SuperDrive DVD Drive. I'm not positive however.

iJon
Jan 18, 2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by titaniumducky
I'm pretty sure that with iDVD 04 you can design the project then use Toast to burn it onto your non-SuperDrive DVD Drive. I'm not positive however.
no you cant, has to be a superdrive.

iJon

Anders Agerskov
Jan 18, 2004, 03:25 PM
With expectations high, I went to the local Apple shop to get the iLife 04. My primary concern was getting a version of iPhoto that works with my 8000+ pictures amounting to about 200GB. Here are some of my findings:

SUMMARY: iPhoto 4 seems usable with large photo collections, which version 3 wasn't. The program is still buggy and moody, but if you don't push the boundaries (or some of the new functions such as the smartfolders) things will work fine. Would I use iPhoto if I were a professional photographer? Probably not. iPhoto makes sense for people who like their collection to be shared with their TIVO, other PCs, web, etc. It is simply not robust enough to recommend to professionals.

1. SPEED is vastly improved... However, you may still need to use a few tricks, such as erasing the iPhoto cache and the iphoto.plist file in your personal library folder if you feel things are sluggish. Also, using uncompressed TIFF instead of JPEG seems to help. Browsing within a certain year as opposed to the entire library of photo boosts speed. Nevertheless, trying to delete a film roll with 100 photos will still bring the beach ball up. This should have nothing to do with the numbers or size of the photos as you are only telling iPhoto to delete the photos, not trying to view all of them.

2. IMPORTING crashes on corrupted files. Say you want to import your entire photo collection, and your last file is corrupted, then you'd better start all over again as iPhoto tends to crash and ignore every import. And the photos you tried to import will be stuck in your folder as a nice present... You can either make a copy of the iPhoto Library as it was before the import and try all over again, or hold down OPTION+APPLE when starting iPhoto. This command will rebuild the library. I don't know how these two options compare in terms of effectiveness, though the rebuilding of the library has worked fine for me.
A nice functionality (it may have been in iPhoto also previously) is the ability to import .NEF photos (Nikon's RAW format). The photo is imported as a low resolution .JPEG, but the .NEF is included in the iPhoto Library. What this means is that you will only be able to view (and print?) low resolution, but if you double click on the photo you will launch your Nikon reader or the like. Not perfect, but still pretty good.