PDA

View Full Version : Another iPod nano 4G case released

Sep 1, 2008, 09:39 AM
Engadget just released images of another 4G iPod nano case:

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/hamafundasipodnano4g-2-hama.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/hamafundasipodnano4g-1-600.jpg

I find it interesting that all these cases keep coming out without a release of the actual product.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/01/hands-on-with-hamas-ipod-nano-4g-case-at-ifa/

Aranince
Sep 1, 2008, 11:00 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/01/hands-on-with-hamas-ipod-nano-4g-case-at-ifa/

I guess we can pretty much confirm the new iPods.

Brien
Sep 1, 2008, 11:04 AM
I still have no idea why they went back to the old form-factor. Meh. Curved screen = odd.

Sep 1, 2008, 11:13 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=554719

I said this as well... yet no one replied to my thread

*sigh*

ppc_michael
Sep 1, 2008, 12:10 PM
Wow, that's pretty strange.

LillieDesigns
Sep 1, 2008, 12:11 PM
I miss when Apple was extremely secretive and we'd have ZERO idea what was coming next. It seems like these leaks and foul ups are happening a lot more now.

Chris Rogers
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=554719

I said this as well... yet no one replied to my thread

*sigh*

sorry dude

imo this new ipod is going to be fugly

LeoFio
I hope this "new iPod" will look better in person than what these cases make it out to be.

P-Worm
Sep 1, 2008, 12:13 PM
Is there any possibility that this case was made out of rumors?

P-Worm

billystlyes
Sep 1, 2008, 12:13 PM
Worst looking iPod nano ever. I like the fat one better.

highjumppudding
Sep 1, 2008, 12:15 PM
interesting how these could be shipped, released, and sold before an official new product launch. i do agree, the ipod design and click wheel seem outdated in my mind. hopefully they scrap the whole design soon and go all touch (same with mice). no more clicking. apple should sell the old ipod design with the click wheel to microsoft.

emmab2006
Sep 1, 2008, 12:16 PM
Throws up ..... the 4G Is VILE bad move apple ... its vile..

JML42691
Sep 1, 2008, 12:17 PM
I hope that this is just some guy's speculation on the new iPod that got blown way out of proportion. I hope that this is nothing like what the shape of the new iPod will be, because it is way too ugly and reminds me way too much of the Zune. I can't believe that Apple would let this much information loose regarding their products. I too miss the days when everything was completely secretive about future releases.:(

Sep 1, 2008, 12:18 PM

Funny that most people said the same thing about the Fat Nano until they REALLY saw it...:rolleyes:

mogzieee
Sep 1, 2008, 12:18 PM
OMG - HOW could those employees be so dumb!? lol

I took a look at those 10 photos on engadget in spain and they noticed that there was an edition with a red click wheel - perhaps indicating a relaunch of a U2 iPod... that I'd like to see! [article (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=es|en&u=http://es.engadget.com/2008/09/01/ifa-2008-hama-muestra-mas-fundas-para-el-ipod-nano-4g/) picture(s) (http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=es|en&u=http://es.engadget.com/2008/09/01/ifa-2008-hama-muestra-mas-fundas-para-el-ipod-nano-4g/)]

Luzzio
Sep 1, 2008, 12:21 PM

Bite your tongue... nothing's official till Jobs pulls it out from his bag of goodies.

Not too sure about the curved screen (I have strong doubts Jonathan Ive would be that incompetent) but imho it's great that the 4th generation nano has the same form factor as the 1st and 2nd.

Currently using a 2nd gen nano. Played with the 3rd phatty... it's okay but I prefer the vertically lengthened design. It just feels better in the hand..

whooleytoo
Sep 1, 2008, 12:21 PM
Is it my imagination, or does that case look a lot like those anti-static bags you get RAM DIMMs in?

Sbrocket
Sep 1, 2008, 12:22 PM
Someone's getting fired.

JML42691
Sep 1, 2008, 12:22 PM
Bite your tongue... nothing's official till Jobs pulls it out from his bag of goodies...
Don't you mean his left pocket?

JG271
Sep 1, 2008, 12:23 PM
Looks like we'll be seeing new ipods soon then. If it is a fake, its quite an elaborate length to go to just to fool some people.
It doesn't look too bad, i imagine the actual ipod will look better in person.

whooleytoo
Someone's getting fired.

Here we go agaaaaaaaain...

aristotle
You've seen the 4G or are you simply commenting on the case?
:rolleyes:

tk421
Funny that most people said the same thing about the Fat Nano until they REALLY saw it...:rolleyes:

Exactly. Before the current Nano, the Mini looked just like this (but with a smaller screen). When the fatter ratio was rumored, everyone said it looked horrible.

People are fickle.

KaZaAnova
The picture is not from a retail store - it is from the IFA. ("International Broadcast exhibition")

But it doesn't change too much - i guess el Jobso will announce the September 9th event tomorrow.

tgildred
Sep 1, 2008, 12:25 PM

P-Worm

I think it'll be made of hopes and dreams.

(but I was thinking the same thing as you)

SkyBell
Sep 1, 2008, 12:27 PM
I swear, you people. This happens every time. "OMG IT'S SO UGLY WHY WOULD APPLE PUT OUT SUCH AN UGLY POS?!?!?!?!"

Two weeks later, you bought it and make a thread stating how much you love it, blatently ignoring your earlier posts.

Pssh, whatever. Have fun with your flaming/praising.

WindowsGuy
Sep 1, 2008, 12:27 PM
:cool:Worst looking iPod nano ever. I like the fat one better.

Looks a lot like the Zune.

I wonder if it comes in Army Green or Orange?

:cool:

JML42691
Sep 1, 2008, 12:28 PM
There is a strong chance that it was, but with this one single rumor being so popular and being backed-up several times by several different sources, I think that there is a very good chance that it will be this design. But I am hoping that it was truly made out of rumors.

I swear, you people. This happens every time. "OMG IT'S SO UGLY WHY WOULD APPLE PUT OUT SUCH AN UGLY POS?!?!?!?!"

Two weeks later, you bought it and make a thread stating how much you love it, blatently ignoring your earlier posts.

I won't if this proves to be true, I am not at all a fan of the curved screen with the long-vertical design, whenever I look at this design I am reminded of the Zune which I hate. If Apple goes through with this, then it will just seem like a knockoff of the Zune.

dlastmango
Sep 1, 2008, 12:29 PM
is it me or does it look like there is an iPOd inside the case???? if so what would fit inside? i call FAKE!

Chris

canisreevus
Sep 1, 2008, 12:31 PM
You mean the paper insert? It's not an actual iPod. Stop saying this looks like the Zune. If you would recall, the Zune looks like the previous generation Nano...

tk421
Sep 1, 2008, 12:32 PM
is it me or does it look like there is an iPOd inside the case???? if so what would fit inside? i call FAKE!

Chris

I'm sure it's just a piece of cardboard. Most cases are sold with a fake paper or cardboard iPod (or other device) inside the case, to help the consumer visualize what it will look like with their product.

People seem really desperate to disbelieve this... :rolleyes:

JML42691
Sep 1, 2008, 12:32 PM
It could be one of those paper cut-outs that they throw inside to give a visual of what it would look like with an iPod in it, or it could be a 2nd generation iPod nano, which looks like it would fit inside this.

mogzieee
Sep 1, 2008, 12:33 PM

Agree Completely. It happened with the current nano...

WindowsGuy
Sep 1, 2008, 12:34 PM
You mean the paper insert? It's not an actual iPod. Stop saying this looks like the Zune. If you would recall, the Zune looks like the previous generation Nano...

Maybe Apple is just copying Microsoft and they want the market share.

Zune, Ipod, same case for both music players. It's brilliant.

Except the Zune has WiFi and the iPod doesn't. Who's the innovator and who's the follower?

JML42691
Sep 1, 2008, 12:36 PM
Except that the Zune's screen took up a larger portion of the front of the device than the iPod nano (1st & 2nd generations) did; which seems like Apple is now trying to copy what the Zune did with the portion of the device that the screen took up.

r0cki
Sep 1, 2008, 12:36 PM
Three letters about the new Nano design:

Eww.

mogzieee
Sep 1, 2008, 12:37 PM
Except the Zune has WiFi and the iPod doesn't. Who's the innovator and who's the follower?

Aaaaah - but.... will this a new feature in the next gen?? Who knows...

achtung!
Sep 1, 2008, 12:38 PM
I won't if this proves to be true, I am not at all a fan of the curved screen with the long-vertical design, whenever I look at this design I am reminded of the Zune which I hate. If Apple goes through with this, then it will just seem like a knockoff of the Zune.

how many times people have to say that the screen/display is curved? shss, the screen isn't curved, the only thing that COULD BE curved is the case. and could easily be curved just in the edges, for the tapered look and feel. gotcha?:rolleyes:

rstansby
Sep 1, 2008, 12:39 PM
I think the new tall screen is a great idea. It allows you to see a longer list of song titles, or menu options, while upright. Then you can turn it on its side for watching video on a widescreen.

Sep 1, 2008, 12:41 PM
Maybe Apple is just copying Microsoft and they want the market share.

Zune, Ipod, same case for both music players. It's brilliant.

Shhhhhh...you forgot to say that the Zune blatantly copied the previous Nano...but it's ok, we forgive you...and Wi-Fi on the Zune is useless anyway...:rolleyes:

coolchaz
Not that I am a fan of the curved screen, but....

If the Screen is only slightly curved, would it be that noticeable? Also, the screen may not actually be curved, it may be set underneath a curved window of glass/plastic. Or, if it is curved, does anyone know if there are any benefits to a curved screen? (i.e. making the image look bigger).

mogzieee
I've just realized it's a Tuesday tomorrow...
:)

solipsism
I still have no idea why they went back to the old form-factor. Meh. Curved screen = odd.

The candybar style is easier to hold. That seems to the be the biggest complaint with the fatty nano.

The screen in one pic isn't curved, only the front at the edges, just past the screen are curved. The screen can't be curved. Too many problems are created and not one solution is created to balance out such a decision in any way.

I think that the return to the candybar style with side-displayed widescreen video, like the Zune, is definite, but how is Apple going to solve the controller issue. I can't imagine that Apple would use static images for the controller buttons when they want you watch video. Other companies wouldn't care, but not Apple.

WindowsGuy
Sep 1, 2008, 12:42 PM
how many times people have to say that the screen/display is curved? shss, the screen isn't curved, the only thing that COULD BE curved is the case. and could easily be curved just in the edges, for the tapered look and feel. gotcha?:rolleyes:

Why would they create a case with a curved cover if the screen wasn't curved. It would produce shadows and make the screen hard to read.

Face it. It's curved and looks like a Zune with smoother corners.

.:R2theT
Sep 1, 2008, 12:44 PM
I don't really have an opinion on this "potential" new iPod.

But this type of thing has got to be pissing Jobs off. He has got to be torn between having complementary products available at the time of launch, just-in-time inventories and his compulsive desire to control every little thing that is Apple related. Poor guy.;)

QCassidy352
Sep 1, 2008, 12:44 PM
I don't like it... but I didn't like the 3G nanos at first either, and now I think they're adorable (gave one to my gf). So I won't jump to conclusions this time.

canisreevus
Sep 1, 2008, 12:45 PM
It would be a natural progression given that the previous "tall" nano did not play video. Windowsguy, don't even get into an argument about Zunovation. Given Apple's revolution of the portable music player market, I think you have very little room to argue. The iPod nano is not the only player Apple has available. Compare wifi on an iPod touch to your "fabulous wifi" on your Zune.

dalvin200
Sep 1, 2008, 12:46 PM
i just don't get why they'd go back the tall and thin design...especially after just 1 iteration.. surely the iPod fatty has been selling ok?

i dont like the curved screen at all... and i won't be getting it anyway as i <3 my iPhone :D

i hope for one that this design was purposely leaked by apple to get the hype and rumor mill going, and then what they really reveal is something completely different!!!

my 0.000002 worth ..hehe

WindowsGuy
Sep 1, 2008, 12:47 PM
Shhhhhh...you forgot to say that the Zune blatantly copied the previous Nano...but it's ok, we forgive you...and Wi-Fi on the Zune is useless anyway...:rolleyes:

Steve is quoted at the developers conference saying we'd have WiFi access to iTunes.

Couldn't deliver so now it's useless? You'd rather use Edge, USB or 3G for the slower access? You wouldn't like to be able to transfer one playlist to your other iPod.

Just because Steve couldn't deliver what was promised again doesn't make it useless.

I personally would love it and be free to move my music and videos over a high speed network.

achtung!
Sep 1, 2008, 12:49 PM
Why would they create a case with a curved cover if the screen wasn't curved. It would produce shadows and make the screen hard to read.

that's the real point, and my only complain (so far) about this "new" nano! i don't think the screen will be curved, it's silly, having a screen that is curved from left to right, and we all know that the ipod will be for watching videos horizontally, so the curve will be from top to bottom sometimes. so what's the point?! there won't be a curved screen, MAYBE just the case! ;)

just my 2 cents

solipsism
Sep 1, 2008, 12:50 PM
Just because Steve couldn't deliver what was promised again doesn't make it useless.

You are absolutely correct. What makes it worthless is that "squirting" was a worthless idea to begin with. The fact that Apple choose not to include it just means they were smarter than MS.

WindowsGuy
Sep 1, 2008, 12:51 PM
It would be a natural progression given that the previous "tall" nano did not play video. Windowsguy, don't even get into an argument about Zunovation. Given Apple's revolution of the portable music player market, I think you have very little room to argue. The iPod nano is not the only player Apple has available. Compare wifi on an iPod touch to your "fabulous wifi" on your Zune.

You can't compare wifi on the ipod because it doesn't have it even though Steve promised we'd have it for the Touch and 3G iphone with 2.0 during the developer conference.

Just another case where Apple over hypes and under delivers. In this case it's costing them a Class Action Lawsuit.

I wonder if the woman suing realizes that the phone was supposed to ship with WiFi access to the iTunes store.

puckhead193
Sep 1, 2008, 12:52 PM

very true, when i saw the pics online i thought it was ugly but when i saw it in stores i kind of liked it and grew on me.

JML42691
Sep 1, 2008, 12:54 PM
Bumping threads is not allowed here.

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but this post was not a repost of the thread that has 50+ comments.

WindowsGuy
Sep 1, 2008, 12:57 PM
You are absolutely correct. What makes it worthless is that "squirting" was a worthless idea to begin with. The fact that Apple choose not to include it just means they were smarter than MS.

From Apple Insider.
It appears they will be copying MS. August 7th 2008 article.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/08/07/new_software_would_let_iphones_access_itunes_libraries_from_anywhere.html

Quote fromt the article;
"Alternatively, iPods and iPhones could communicate with one another in a manner similar to that employed by Microsoft's Zune media players."

MIDI_EVIL
Sep 1, 2008, 12:58 PM
If you look very closely, you can see the cardboard packaging slips inside the transparent plastic, seem to have been cut out by hand...

Almost as though a pair of scissors were used.

It seems to be more obvious in image 10 out of 10:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=es|en&u=http://es.engadget.com/2008/09/01/ifa-2008-hama-muestra-mas-fundas-para-el-ipod-nano-4g/

canisreevus
Sep 1, 2008, 12:59 PM
You can't compare wifi on the ipod because it doesn't have it even though Steve promised we'd have it for the Touch and 3G iphone with 2.0 during the developer conference.

Just another case where Apple over hypes and under delivers. In this case it's costing them a Class Action Lawsuit.

I wonder if the woman suing realizes that the phone was supposed to ship with WiFi access to the iTunes store.

What are you talking about? The Touch and iPhone have always had WiFi. You can also download from the iTunes store via WiFi. You can also do other things you'd expect with WiFi like browse the internet. Also, in relation to the iPhone 3G, I have no issues with reception or 3G speed.

There are also free 3rd party software titles available to stream your iTunes library to your iPhone 3G and plans for this feature to be included in future releases. Read the whole article you posted above WindowsGuy. It allows Zune like sharing but also no need to transfer your files to your pmp. You can access them via streaming over the net. It's called innovation when you improve on what already exists.

solipsism
Sep 1, 2008, 01:00 PM
that's the real point, and my only complain (so far) about this "new" nano! i don't think the screen will be curved, it's silly, having a screen that is curved from left to right, and we all know that the ipod will be for watching videos horizontally, so the curve will be from top to bottom sometimes. so what's the point?! there won't be a curved screen, MAYBE just the case! ;)

just my 2 cents

You can't look at a soft case that doesn't have the proper device in it and make a valid judgement about the case by looking at the pic that MacRumors supplied on their front page. If you look at the pic in the link below you can clearly see that the screen would not be curved in any way, only the side edges of the device, which is already common in other iPods. Check out the iPod Mini and see that the curve occurred right where the screen ended.

• http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=es|en&u=http://es.engadget.com/2008/09/01/ifa-2008-hama-muestra-mas-fundas-para-el-ipod-nano-4g/

Ticcioni
Sep 1, 2008, 01:01 PM
N/a

ryanwarsaw
Sep 1, 2008, 01:06 PM
If this truly is the new Nano design then there will be something else that it does that will make it the thing to have. Touch screen or wifi or something that will make it better than the fatty was. Otherwise it basically looks like the old nano to me.

There will be something about it, that when you use it makes it blow the old Nano away or they wouldn't bother pushing it out.

solipsism
Sep 1, 2008, 01:06 PM
From Apple Insider.
It appears they will be copying MS. August 7th 2008 article.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/08/07/new_software_would_let_iphones_access_itunes_libraries_from_anywhere.html

Quote from the article: "New versions iTunes and the iPhone Software could theoretically eliminate this problem by syncing only the metadata -- or tiny files containing the barebones attributes of each media item or playlist but not the content itself -- from a user's iTunes library to their portable devices."

Also, this is a patent, you have no idea how this would be used by Apple. Apple is not patenting syncing without wires, they are illustrating a method of connected devices being interactive with each other. Try reading the 24-page patent filing instead of just grabbing a line that mentions the Zune.

WindowsGuy
Sep 1, 2008, 01:09 PM
What are you talking about? The Touch and iPhone have always had WiFi. You can also download from the iTunes store via WiFi. You can also do other things you'd expect with WiFi like browse the internet. Also, in relation to the iPhone 3G, I have no issues with reception or 3G speed.

There are also free 3rd party software titles available to stream your iTunes library to your iPhone 3G and plans for this feature to be included in future releases. Read the whole article you posted above WindowsGuy. It allows Zune like sharing but also no need to transfer your files to your pmp. You can access them via streaming over the net. It's called innovation when you improve on what already exists.

NOT FOR TRANSFERRING MUSIC ONLY FOR INTERNET. 3RD PARTY APPS GIVE YOU THE ABILITY TO PLAY MUSIC NOT TRANSFER MUSIC.

BIG DIFFERENCE.

garyhoare
Sep 1, 2008, 01:10 PM
I wish I could look at these forums once in a while without having to read through a bunch of uninformed opinions about unreleased, unconfirmed and un-pictured Apple products from angry-sounding posters shouting, "It's ugly! Apple would never make that!"

techmonkey
Sep 1, 2008, 01:12 PM
Are there anymore pictures of this case? Im curious if there a USB port on the bottom or not, like the solid models have that were released awhile back

t0mat0
Sep 1, 2008, 01:12 PM
What's the bottom connection like on the case?

The previous one's seemed to show mini USB. WIll it have a dock connector hole?

Edit: Just beaten to it :)

Plus - O2 doing PAYG on September 16th. More products that day, the week before?

canisreevus
Sep 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
Exactly, stop living in the past. Eventually, there will not even be a need to transfer the actual files.

For the time being, I can download and listen to music from the iTunes WiFi store as needed. (ACTUAL FILES)

jojo13
Sep 1, 2008, 01:14 PM
damn thats ugly
from the second i saw the ipod nano 3g, i wasa in love with it. It's so beautiful.
But that... it's so odd:confused::eek:

I want a fat nano but with no metallic back:D
the dream:D

ryanwarsaw
Sep 1, 2008, 01:14 PM
I wish I could look at these forums once in a while without having to read through a bunch of uninformed opinions about unreleased, unconfirmed and un-pictured Apple products from angry-sounding posters shouting, "It's ugly! Apple would never make that!"

Other than people getting angry unconfirmed, unreported, unseen product speculation is what this site is about. For entirely optimisitic, glowing reviews of confirmed products you could try www.apple.com

jojo13
Sep 1, 2008, 01:15 PM
Other than people getting angry unconfirmed, unreported, unseen product speculation is what this site is about. For entirely optimisitic, glowing reviews of confirmed products you could try www.apple.com

you're the man:D

anirban
Sep 1, 2008, 01:16 PM
To be honest, I would have a Nano designed like this, rather than the fat one (current). I never liked the fat nano- ever since the rumors started.

ntrigue
Sep 1, 2008, 01:17 PM
Perhaps someone here would like to develop an iPod with the smallest form factor and a 16:9 screen? Face it the size and orientation on the Fat Nano is retarded.

FreeState
Sep 1, 2008, 01:18 PM
Get it before the page is pulled...

http://www.agami.be/portal/articleId*168371/picType*abb/action*2599;jsessionid=97AA99F9E642482344225AADE964125E.tomcat_be_lin26?picURL=%2Fbilder%2F00023%2Fa bb%2F00023559abb.jpg#picture

mogzieee
Sep 1, 2008, 01:19 PM

Hahaha! :D

---

Personally I like this iPod nano - I always looked at the 2G Nano and always thought if only the screen was much taller and the scroll wheel was lower down - it would be great. And now they've done it... nice!

garyhoare
Sep 1, 2008, 01:21 PM

Yeah, but there used to be some discussion. Now it seems like 90% of the posters on this site just copy and paste" It's ugly." into every thread.

Frankly, it smacks of a viral, anti-Apple, propaganda campaign.

I mean, how upset can people really get about the slight rearrangement and re-proportioning of a circle and a rectangle? -- especially when no one has seen it yet?

coolfactor
Sep 1, 2008, 01:22 PM
interesting how these could be shipped, released, and sold before an official new product launch. i do agree, the ipod design and click wheel seem outdated in my mind. hopefully they scrap the whole design soon and go all touch (same with mice). no more clicking. apple should sell the old ipod design with the click wheel to microsoft.

The click-wheel is still a brilliant input control. I hope it never goes away. The touch screen is only good when looking at it, doesn't work in a pocket, and adds unnecessary cost to a device meant to play music.

Sep 1, 2008, 01:24 PM
Thread merge... this post isn't relevant anymore

mogzieee
Sep 1, 2008, 01:26 PM
[to the picture posted above]

not liking the center click button inside the wheel... :(
but the shape and size is awesome personally... :)

fastbite
Sep 1, 2008, 01:26 PM

Agree 100%. And let's not forget we are looking at a case!

coolfactor
Sep 1, 2008, 01:32 PM
I've just realized it's a Tuesday tomorrow...
:)

It'll be next week. This is return-to-school week, so they will want that out of the way first.

coolfactor
Sep 1, 2008, 01:33 PM
[to the picture posted above]

not liking the center click button inside the wheel... :(
but the shape and size is awesome personally... :)

Are you saying you don't like the _idea_ of a center click button, or that you don't like the look of that particular style/iteration?

the Western zoo
Sep 1, 2008, 01:34 PM
I've always hated to fatty, and I think it's great that they are going back to a more 2G'ish design! But until I see it in person I can't say if it's genious or rubbish...

I really hope it does something new though, video playback on 16/9 doesn't do it for me, unless it has a capacity boost or some cool new feature I'm sticking with my good old 2G Nano... :)

mogzieee
Sep 1, 2008, 01:36 PM
It'll be next week. This is return-to-school week, so they will want that out of the way first.

True I guess.

My guessing is that this Spanish shop owner mis-read a handwritten note to stock them on their shelves on 10th Sept, the day after the rumored launch, though the mis-read, and put them up today, the 1st Sept...

Understand that?

Are you saying you don't like the _idea_ of a center click button, or that you don't like the look of that particular style/iteration?

I don't like the way that it sticks out in the photo posted on page 3 of this thread - the idea of the click button is awesome, just not when it sticks out like in that photo...

Wayfarer
Sep 1, 2008, 01:37 PM
Foolish people! Don't knock it 'til you've tried it, or at least until it's officially unveiled.

ryanwarsaw
Sep 1, 2008, 01:38 PM
Yeah, but there used to be some discussion. Now it seems like 90% of the posters on this site just copy and paste" It's ugly." into every thread.

Frankly, it smacks of a viral, anti-Apple, propaganda campaign.

I mean, how upset can people really get about the slight rearrangement and re-proportioning of a circle and a rectangle? -- especially when no one has seen it yet?

I get your point. If I were a more reasonable person I wouldn't feel like I do but this redesign actually puts me into a homicidal rage. If they do this I will switch to windows and buy a Zune. Steve are you listening?!?! :)

sam10685
Sep 1, 2008, 01:39 PM

i hate the fat nano. too hard to hold even with my small hands. this design looks WAY better than even the 1st or 2nd gen model.

solipsism
Sep 1, 2008, 01:40 PM

I'm thinking the Special Event won't be until Sept 9th, either. I think we won't see any major changes with the iPod line, except for the new elongated Nano with the turned widescreen and the backlit, visual display clickwheel. The other iPods will jstu get a capacity increase and/or price reduction. Maybe a colour change or two, but I don't think so.

The Mac notebook line will be introduced but they won't be shipping until october. I'm getting this because there is still no one selling Montevina mobile chipsets. And sicne the other manufacturers so considerably less notebooks that Apple in the consumer market for these new high-end chips, the production won't be ready this month.

miamialley
I don't get the market for this product. Just buy a touch.

Lesser Evets
The negativity is juvenile.

We won't know how it looks or works until it is out. Those old photos of the case CG and actual product are still most likely fakes/clones, though this confirms the general shape.

I personally don't think a curved screen is a good idea, unless Apple compensated somehow. It could still be a curved case with a flat screen.

cloudnine
Sep 1, 2008, 01:41 PM

I wasn't aware the Zune had a curved screen... did they change it recently? :rolleyes:

carve
Sep 1, 2008, 01:42 PM
I like this way more than the 3rd gen nano.

Digital Skunk
Sep 1, 2008, 01:43 PM

This is an understatement. It's truly a look at where Apple may be headed with industrial design. Leaving simplicity behind and copying off of their ugly 3rd party vendors and Microsoft.

I can see the rumored future Mac Books and Mac Book Pros looking remarkably like Dells and HPs but with less hardware and more cost.

Seriously bad move Apple, if this turns out to be true, very very bad and awful move.

o0samotech0o
Sep 1, 2008, 01:44 PM
im not knocking the iPod but, the case is UTTERLY FAKE!

Go to this this again:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&langpair=es|en&u=http://es.engadget.com/2008/09/01/ifa-2008-hama-muestra-mas-fundas-para-el-ipod-nano-4g/

look on the right hand side of the case, actually put your head near to the screen, can you not see that bit of the case looks cut out with scissors?

AND the left side of the click wheel cut out looks dodigily cut out with some scissors.

ryanwarsaw
Sep 1, 2008, 01:44 PM
The negativity is juvenile.

We won't know how it looks or works until it is out. Those old photos of the case CG and actual product are still most likely fakes/clones, though this confirms the general shape.

I personally don't think a curved screen is a good idea, unless Apple compensated somehow. It could still be a curved case with a flat screen.

Sort of like how other Apple products have gone with the curved edges?

lazyrighteye
Sep 1, 2008, 01:46 PM
Real or not, one design element I am not liking is this rounded/tapered thing Apple is doing.
Take the cueved backs of the iPhone 3G - has prevented me from upgrading from my original iPhone. Now, when/if using on a flat surface, the device wobbles. Annoying. Who thought this a good idea?
Thus, I would not be a fan of a nano you couldn't sit on a table & use sans wobble.

Fail.

solipsism
Sep 1, 2008, 01:47 PM
I don't get the market for this product. Just buy a touch.

Cons of Touch compared to Nano:

— More expensive
— To large for jogging
— Battery doesn't last as long
— Can't be controlled without looking at it
— Too complex/too many featires

The Touch has plenty of pros compared to the Nano, but one device does not fit all.

bperkins
Sep 1, 2008, 01:48 PM
What seems weird/awkward to me is when you are watching in widescreen that the controls (Menu, Forward, Reverse, Pause/Play) will still be in the same position. I would think that Apple would design it so that when rotated the controls would also rotate properly.

Lesser Evets
Sep 1, 2008, 01:49 PM
Sort of like how other Apple products have gone with the curved edges?

This is a bit more drastic since the entire case is rounded into an iris/almond shape instead of the bullnose type edges.

It IS odd they have all these cases on display and not one product to fill into them, but odder things have happened. The shop might not know the product isn't actually released that fits the case.

ryanwarsaw
Sep 1, 2008, 01:50 PM
You don't even have one and say it wobbles? Well I do and here is a clue for you: You don't need to push the screen hard enough to make it wobble. I just tried and had to push it way harder than I would ordinarily to produce a wobble.

Your little "FAIL" at the end is exactly what people are saying is juvenile, moronic and uncalled for.

okayjustin
i love that case i have it for my classic :)

solipsism
What seems weird/awkward to me is when you are watching in widescreen that the controls (Menu, Forward, Reverse, Pause/Play) will still be in the same position. I would think that Apple would design it so that when rotated the controls would also rotate properly.
Who says they won't?

Take the cueved backs of the iPhone 3G - has prevented me from upgrading from my original iPhone.

But it feels better in the hand... which is where people use it. Well, almost everyone.

macshill
When Spanish eyes are smiling. :D

Sep 1, 2008, 01:51 PM

I also have no idea what he is talking about...if there is one media player able to do Wi-Fi in all its senses, it IS the iPod...and no, I am not referring to the stupid idea of squirting songs to random strangers in Central Park...

As for the "woman" suing Apple, it's just another frivolous lawsuit if you mean that of not-so-fast download speeds with 3G...several studies have already proven that it has NOTHING to do with the iPhone...instead, occasional slowness strikes all 3G devices in the network.

o0samotech0o
Sep 1, 2008, 01:51 PM
im not knocking the iPod but, the case is UTTERLY FAKE!

Go to this this again:

look on the right hand side of the case, actually put your head near to the screen, can you not see that bit of the case looks cut out with scissors?

AND the left side of the click wheel cut out looks dodigily cut out with some scissors.

please look at this... gosh :/

Lesser Evets
Sep 1, 2008, 01:52 PM
Cons of Touch compared to Nano:

— To large for jogging
— Can't be controlled without looking at it

The Touch has plenty of pros compared to the Nano, but one device does not fit all.
If I had a device for jogging it would NOT be a nano, because it is packed with too much stuff and is still too bulky compared to what is available - Shuffle.

The shuffle is the perfect jogging device. Light and simple, no video.

iParis
Sep 1, 2008, 01:53 PM
Can I throw up now?
Why would they be backtracking???
It looks just like the 2G Nano.
And in the picture of the screen, the main menu didn't look any different, in fact if looked really crammed.
I never liked the 3G design and never will.

Don't you mean his left pocket?

Actually... depends on the keynote you're talking about.
When the G1 Nano was introduced he pulled it out of the little pocket inside of his right pocket. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GRv-kv5XEg

ryanwarsaw
Solipsism is spot on about how it feels in the hand.

Iparis is also right I think. I said in an earlier post basically the same thing. No, they won't backtrack. If they go back to that design it will be to introduce some compelling features. (assuming this thing even exists)

macshill

Others have echoed the same sentiment regarding a plethora of Apple products and it's get truer each and every time. ;)

haha You Applefans.

BoyBach
Sep 1, 2008, 01:54 PM
That is one ugly case! :eek:

i0Nic
Sep 1, 2008, 01:58 PM
We can expect 4gb, 8gb and 16gb capacity with new lower price points of US$129, $159 and $199.

Besides widescreen video, I think we can expect another feature that will make the nano an even more useful - wifi, for the iTunes wifi music store and possibly some other things.

Also, new colour patterns that feature smooth gradients from cool colours to warm colours like a rainbow when you put the whole nano range side by side.

The curved body on the top and bottom will make the device very nice to hold, a lot easier to use than the current nano.

solipsism
Sep 1, 2008, 02:01 PM
If I had a device for jogging it would NOT be a nano, because it is packed with too much stuff and is still too bulky compared to what is available - Shuffle.

Me too, i use the Shuffle without 30 energy inducing song for running/gym/kegelcising and an iPhone for the rest. But we are not everyone. i know people that would never get a Shuffle because it has no screen and so few features, plus it can't used as a portable flash drive.

Orng
Sep 1, 2008, 02:03 PM

I agree with you. I have a Touch and a Shuffle. My wife has a 3G Nano and a Shuffle. We both prefer to use the shuffle for the gym. It's the perfect gym iPod, clips on to my shirt without extra wrapping, it's light, tactile control means you can operate it without breaking stride to look at it.

I don't even use the full gig of space on it; I have about 500 megs of perfect (for me) gym music and I still never get through it all in 4 or 5 days/week at the gym. I alter the mix every week or two.

On the touch of I have about 9 gigs from my 30-gig library. I really should delete some of that stuff I never listen to.

... plus it can't used as a portable flash drive.

I think you are mistaken. But I don't feel like digging it out of my gym bag right now to check. It's not a feature I need at the gym.

WindowsGuy
Sep 1, 2008, 02:08 PM
I also have no idea what he is talking about...if there is one media player able to do Wi-Fi in all its senses, it IS the iPod...and no, I am not referring to the stupid idea of squirting songs to random strangers in Central Park...

As for the "woman" suing Apple, it's just another frivolous lawsuit if you mean that of not-so-fast download speeds with 3G...several studies have already proven that it has NOTHING to do with the iPhone...instead, occasional slowness strikes all 3G devices in the network.

Steve made a statement in his developer speach prior to the release of the 3G iPhone that we would have full access to the iTunes store via WiFi and synching with iTunes.

Neither of which shipped and as I said. Oversold and Underdelivered.
Typical of Apple these days.

MobileVista comes to mind.
iPhone 2.0, 2.01 & 2.02 Software
TimeMachine
True Push email

to name a few.

Steve doen't need to fix these. He's got drones that will buy the next item he puts out to keep you occupied while he takes his time fixing (eventually) the problem.

Yet he has still never made a press release himself to acknowldedge any of the above statement.

If the law suit against Apple was a gold digger looking for money it would not have been given Class Action approval.

Now drink your Kool-Aid and buy the Zune (I mean 4G iZune) when it ships like a good boy. Steve will be proud of you.

WindowsGuy
Sep 1, 2008, 02:11 PM
We can expect 4gb, 8gb and 16gb capacity with new lower price points of US$129, $159 and $199.

Besides widescreen video, I think we can expect another feature that will make the nano an even more useful - wifi, for the iTunes wifi music store and possibly some other things.

Also, new colour patterns that feature smooth gradients from cool colours to warm colours like a rainbow when you put the whole nano range side by side.

The curved body on the top and bottom will make the device very nice to hold, a lot easier to use than the current nano.

Wouldn't this be the iPod Touch?

Orng
Sep 1, 2008, 02:28 PM
Steve made a statement in his developer speach prior to the release of the 3G iPhone that we would have full access to the iTunes store via WiFi and synching with iTunes.

I have full access to the iTunes music store via wifi on my ipod. You must be doing it wrong.

I can't address time machine, I haven't upgraded from Tiger yet. I also haven't had any issues with my 2.0.x firmware, or MobileMe for that matter. Oh, and Apple has issued several mea culpas and service extensions to MobileMe subscribers, which is good enough for me, I don't need a press release from Jobs himself. I had no issues but I got a 90-day extension anyway.

As for synching with iTunes, I don't recall him saying that specifically, but I also don't need the feature, so I don't care especially. That being said, most of what he was talking about before the wwdc was looking ahead to future features, which is what I would expect at a developers conference. It was more like a roadmap, it wasn't a product launch. You must be one of those people who gets upset when Beta software has bugs.

If you're uptight about announced future features not appearing yet, you need to get on Microsoft's case for not delivering multitouch on Windows 7 yet. They've announced plans for it, so where is it?

Brianstorm91
Sep 1, 2008, 02:30 PM
I might just buy a nano incase I ever happen to want one.. I don't like the looks of this new one.

vladyslav
Sep 1, 2008, 02:30 PM
I wouldn't judge the shape of the new iPod by the shape of this case. The thing is made of SOFT material so it'll stretch when one put an iPod in.

Sep 1, 2008, 02:31 PM

Neither of which shipped and as I said. Oversold and Underdelivered.
Typical of Apple these days.

MobileVista comes to mind.
iPhone 2.0, 2.01 & 2.02 Software
TimeMachine
True Push email

to name a few.

Steve doen't need to fix these. He's got drones that will buy the next item he puts out to keep you occupied while he takes his time fixing (eventually) the problem.

Yet he has still never made a press release himself to acknowldedge any of the above statement.

If the law suit against Apple was a gold digger looking for money it would not have been given Class Action approval.

Now drink your Kool-Aid and buy the Zune (I mean 4G iZune) when it ships like a good boy. Steve will be proud of you.

So let me see:

1 - what is that iTMS access via Starbucks called?

2 - MobileMe had a rough start, it was fixed and now it works pretty much 100%. Not to mention that almost-real time push is gonna be ready in a few weeks.

3 - iPhone has the best OS in the planet, and its updates are close to perfect in all senses for millions of users...so please don't compare it with Crappindows Mobile or VaporAndroid;

4 - TM works perfectly for me, and I use it with the "unsupported" USB disk via AE also perfectly well;

5 - Zune is the 2nd Gen Nano revisited...please see posts above, or your favorite Winblows online store for one...oh, is there one?

rlmccormick
Sep 1, 2008, 02:44 PM
Simply amazing. How is it that we are seeing all these cases so soon before an event? I have to believe that Apple will release the new model without an event. Perhaps these cases showing up now mean that we will see the refresh later this week?

Get it before the page is pulled...

http://www.agami.be/portal/articleId*168371/picType*abb/action*2599;jsessionid=97AA99F9E642482344225AADE964125E.tomcat_be_lin26?picURL=%2Fbilder%2F00023%2Fa bb%2F00023559abb.jpg#picture

iParis
Sep 1, 2008, 02:44 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

I forgot to mention earlier that this is like the 2392321th post thread about this kinda stuff.
I think that starting very soon we should only be allowed to post on threads about this made by the bots.
And if we don't do that then the thread gets locked.
Then if you do it again you get a time out.

That seems fair, right?

nyprospect
Sep 1, 2008, 02:48 PM
There is a method to Steve's madness.I'll bash the nano when it's released .Then i'll buy it.

RoDe
Sep 1, 2008, 02:53 PM
Maybe this is all a trick from steve. And he is now laughing his balls of :D.

An if not he is now planning an assassination ;)

!‘ V ‘!
Sep 1, 2008, 02:59 PM
Are people forgetting here that Apple had already implemented touch sensitive button on the Original 3G iPod with the red backlit buttons.

The reason it did not work too well was because it was too slow to react to the users touch and it was a battery hog.

Apple is not going to use touch sensitive similar to the iPhone and Touch since the screen is too small to be productive and would be frustrating to use since your thumb or finger would cover the entire screen when wanting to make selections. It is also a battery hog, something the Nano can do without.

The design fundaments of the Nano and Shuffle are to its minimal and if I dare say perfected to the point that making anymore physical changes would be nonsensical and not worth the R&D associated with it. The only other option is to break the Nano and have a device as small as the Shuffle with a click-wheel and a attachable/detachable screen. This way the user can decide if they want a screen or not or if they want to upgrade only one of the two.

This might be the last fused design the Nano might have because the next stop is a slip option since it has more flexible options. i.e. attaching the lcd to your eye wear or left or right wrist and the click-wheel controls on the other wrist, connected via a wire since it would be battery friendly, which also leaves the option for the user to only power the lcd when need be. TM :D

!‘ V ‘!
Sep 1, 2008, 03:00 PM
Maybe this is all a trick from steve. And he is now laughing his balls of :D.

An if not he is now planning an assassination ;)

Steve's baby is the iPhone, he does not care if the Nano or Shuffle case design is leaked. :p;):D

There is hardly any profit left in the Shuffle and Nano, its only a means for the budget consumer to enter iTMS and a means to keep the store alive. Nothing more.

donga
Sep 1, 2008, 03:02 PM
the case looks slick, and shiny

kabunaru
Sep 1, 2008, 03:11 PM

Why do you guys judge so much on looks?
As long as the iPod Nano does it job and works fine, looks do not matter.

TwinCities Dan
Sep 1, 2008, 03:12 PM
Personally, I don't really care how tall, fat, rounded, un-rounded, whatever the new iPods are...

What I am curious about is the lack of the standard 30-pin connector... :eek:

There must be a VERY good reason to change, and make all of the millions of add-ons obsolete... :confused:

Sep 1, 2008, 03:13 PM
Personally, I don't really care how tall, fat, rounded, un-rounded, whatever the new iPods are...

There must be a VERY good reason to change, and make all of the millions of add-ons obsolete... :confused:

One more reason why it's fake...:rolleyes:

Soma 115
Sep 1, 2008, 03:18 PM
can i get some +'s on how ugly this thing is turning out?!?! :eek:

thebassoonist
Sep 1, 2008, 03:19 PM
One more reason why it's fake...:rolleyes:

Yep.

kabunaru
Sep 1, 2008, 03:22 PM
can i get some +'s on how ugly this thing is turning out?!?! :eek:

To me, looks does not matter.

Why do people always dislike new designs and are so afraid of change?

iSpeakApple
Sep 1, 2008, 03:25 PM
All i have to say is WOW look how badly the cardboard was cut out Did they use scissors or something Nice try.....

zengod
Sep 1, 2008, 03:29 PM
Seems strange to change design this much within a year - The Nano was an ideal size and my daughter loves hers - this looks too big to be classified a Nano - Quite tempted to by up stocks of 8Gb Nanos - they will sell well on ebay once this monsters released.

Oh and Apple take note - The same connector running through the iPod series is one of your best marketing tags but some idiot at Apple is messing this up. Take the missing 12 volt power connector on the iPhone 3G which has stopped me from using my Volkswagen kit. Car manufacturers have just started standardising the iPod connector as an option but if you change it they will just give up and it will be Apple loss.

The Palm Pilots had the same problem when they went to the Palm V and then changed the adapter again on the next release. Where are Palm now eh ?

Jobs should locate the idiot who agreed to changing the adapter and frog march him out of the office pronto....

APPLENEWBIE
Sep 1, 2008, 03:30 PM
...whenever I look at this design I am reminded of the Zune which I hate. If Apple goes through with this, then it will just seem like a knockoff of the Zune.

Even though the Zune design was a knockoff of the iPod Nano? And anyway, so what if it reminds one of a ZZZZune. Have you ever seen one in the wild? Me neither.

JML42691
Sep 1, 2008, 03:32 PM
Even though the Zune design was a knockoff of the iPod Nano? And anyway, so what if it reminds one of a ZZZZune. Have you ever seen one in the wild? Me neither.
The part that reminds me of the Zune is the portion of the front of the device that the screen takes up, not the overall design. And yes, I have actually seen plenty of Zunes, half of my friends have them.

bushido
Sep 1, 2008, 03:40 PM

if the look wouldnt matter to me i'd still be walking around with a 1st Gen iPod

hokullani
Sep 1, 2008, 03:41 PM
I just can't believe this. When you look at the other pictures of the "actual" nano it is a mini usb plug in the bottom, and not the 30 pin dock connector like has been in iPods and iPhones. I just can't believe that Apple would do this. It's one thing to make the product obsolete with the older gen docks and stuff like that but to make it obsolete with absolutely every iPod/iPhone product that uses a dock connector just seems ridiculous. I think this is just an ipod knockoff that people are turning into the nano. No Dock connector! No Deal!

Godgem
Sep 1, 2008, 03:42 PM
Thos is not only uglyest ipod nano, but also uglyest ipod ever.... even 3G ipod (classic) doesnt look so fugly..

BigD58
Sep 1, 2008, 03:57 PM
Man I tell you what, what I have seen of the new nano I am not impressed at all with the new form factor.:(

BlizzardBomb
Sep 1, 2008, 04:02 PM

Judging by all your previous posts (and your name), I'm really struggling to understand why you're on an Apple forum site. :confused:

kabunaru
Sep 1, 2008, 04:03 PM
This forum is filled with superficial judging people. :rolleyes:

madmaxmedia
Sep 1, 2008, 04:12 PM
Steve's baby is the iPhone, he does not care if the Nano or Shuffle case design is leaked. :p;):D

There is hardly any profit left in the Shuffle and Nano, its only a means for the budget consumer to enter iTMS and a means to keep the store alive. Nothing more.

The iPod line still generates close to half of Apple's profits, and still sell in numbers far greater than the iPhone.

No profit in the Nano? Apple sells tons of Nanos at price points far higher than equivalent capacity flash players from other companies. There's still plenty of profit (and importance) in the Nano.

I miss when Apple was extremely secretive and we'd have ZERO idea what was coming next. It seems like these leaks and foul ups are happening a lot more now.

There hasn't been a major new Apple product in the last few years which HASN'T been leaked prior to Apple's acual launch. Everything from the Intel switchover to Mac Mini to the original iPod Nano was leaked...

Most people don't find out anyways, only people who frequent sites like Macrumors. Either way, all the speculation actually generates even more publicity for Apple, and the Apple special events are still widely covered when they happen. That's much more important than if some product info gets leaked before the show.

adamfishercox
Sep 1, 2008, 04:13 PM
The design is not the issue. It's the practical aspect of it. If the screen is flat, with curved glass over it, there will be distortion of the image. THAT is the issue here, not the design.

Funplex
Sep 1, 2008, 04:14 PM
Meh. I have a feeling the design will keep changing back and forth everytime they release a new version. I guess by now it's a matter of preference. I kinda like the square design because it's small and can fit safely in a pocket.

I'd have to see this new version in an apple store to get a feel for it, but it kinda looks weird. I wonder if the controls will rotate when the iPod is tipped over (performing different functions) to match up with the standard layout of play, stop, forward, back-- even when people are watching vids on it's side.

madmaxmedia
Sep 1, 2008, 04:18 PM

I'm not sure why people make suck a big idea of these resemblances anyway (not the poster I'm quoting, I mean in general.) A square-shaped music player with a color screen...wow no one had ever thought of that before Apple, Microsoft, Creative, etc...

A thin rectangle is a basic shape that has certain obvious benefits. All of these companies develop numerous prototypes and decide internally which design to finally go with. Few companies end up choosing a design because it resembles a competitors' products, if anything it is a coincidental choice because most companies actually try to differentiate from the competition.

jojo13
Sep 1, 2008, 04:18 PM
This forum is filled with superficial judging people. :rolleyes:

haha you're right:D

madmaxmedia
Sep 1, 2008, 04:22 PM

Actually, there doesn't seem to be any pictures of the bottom of these Spanish cases (which I think is the only actual legitimate 3G Nano case).

They had a case out of the box in their hand, they just didn't take a photo of the bottom (unless I missed something...)

JML42691
Sep 1, 2008, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure why people make suck a big idea of these resemblances anyway (not the poster I'm quoting, I mean in general.) A square-shaped music player with a color screen...wow no one had ever thought of that before Apple, Microsoft, Creative, etc...

A thin rectangle is a basic shape that has certain obvious benefits. All of these companies develop numerous prototypes and decide internally which design to finally go with. Few companies end up choosing a design because it resembles a competitors' products, if anything it is a coincidental choice because most companies actually try to differentiate from the competition.
I am not complaining about the fact that they are the same general shape, just the sheer amount of similarities between the two. I understand that the Zune was a near knockoff of the original iPod nano, but this new iPod is even more of a knockoff to the Zune than the Zune was to the iPod. Is it really that hard for them to come up with something different. I would have liked to see them continue the same general design of the current iPod nano for a little longer, and improve on that. Figuring during last September's update, Jobs himself stated that the new iPod nano (3rd generation) was designed to better fit in the hand than the previous models, if this new model strongly resembles the 1st and 2nd generations, then what does that say about what Jobs said last September, and how this iPod will fit in the hand?

bj3949
Sep 1, 2008, 04:23 PM
I bet you anything this is the iPod Nano Classic and Steve will introduce the iPod Nano Touch next Tuesday.

Don't you guys agree?

iReality85
Sep 1, 2008, 04:30 PM
Seriously, are you people seeing the same case I'm seeing??? The top edge of the case is clearly flat. If the case's front were curved (and thus, the Nano's front were curved) the top edge would be rounded, which it is not. You all need to stop complaining about how the screen is curved, because if you would just use your eyeballs, you can tell that its definitely not. The edges are the only round parts, reminiscent of the Mini.

Sep 1, 2008, 04:30 PM
The part that reminds me of the Zune is the portion of the front of the device that the screen takes up, not the overall design. And yes, I have actually seen plenty of Zunes, half of my friends have them.

So it's either one of two options:

1 - half of your friends work at MS;

2 - you don't have too many friends.

Just kiddin' of course... ;)

ZB1992
Sep 1, 2008, 04:36 PM
i have confirmed with a very reliable source that the september 9th date will include updates of software for the iphone, ipod upgrades, a new resin Macbook, with a new design case, and new Macbook airs and Pros, as wlel as price changes.

maccam
Sep 1, 2008, 04:51 PM
No guys....

That is the new iPod Nano... And yes it's horribly ugly, what was Steve thinking??? (Someone wanna buy my NICE 3g nano for $400 :p)

rlmccormick
Sep 1, 2008, 04:53 PM
i have confirmed with a very reliable source that the september 9th date will include updates of software for the iphone, ipod upgrades, a new resin Macbook, with a new design case, and new Macbook airs and Pros, as wlel as price changes.

I hope you're right! I want a new MBP.

WindowsGuy
Sep 1, 2008, 04:54 PM
Judging by all your previous posts (and your name), I'm really struggling to understand why you're on an Apple forum site. :confused:

Because I have a 1st gen iPhone (rock solid) and a 3G iPhone (POS) and am tired of Apple putting our product after product and not fixing the problems with their current product line.

I bought the 1st iPhone because I was tired of MS Mobile because it was a horrible interface and was and still is riddled with problems.

I'm seeing the same pattern with the iPhone 3G.

Just because I'm a Windows Guy doesn't mean I can't have a Mac Phone.
Good choice first time really BAD choice with the 3G.

That's why I'm in a Mac Forum. Why are you here other than to give me **** for my Screen Name?

Edit.
I've also owned every iPod since 1st Gen.

Xavier
Sep 1, 2008, 04:57 PM
Well, I'd never buy one if thats the new nano.

MacTheSpoon
Sep 1, 2008, 04:59 PM
I'm glad that they're going back to the 2G form factor for the new nano, I bet this thing will look beautiful in person!

kabunaru
Sep 1, 2008, 05:00 PM
First, people would not like it, then after some time it will grow on them and people will start to like it.

Compile 'em all
Sep 1, 2008, 05:04 PM
Except that the Zune's screen took up a larger portion of the front of the device than the iPod nano (1st & 2nd generations) did; which seems like Apple is now trying to copy what the Zune did with the portion of the device that the screen took up.

who cares?

everyone copies everyone.

bigger screen = good. end of story.

Loge
Sep 1, 2008, 05:06 PM

You can't see the bottom of the case so how do you know there is no dock connector? Those other pictures that were going around recently were clones.

Sep 1, 2008, 05:16 PM

If the new iPod nano has a tall and narrow screen that means less information can be displayed horizontally compared with the current "fat" version unless you turn it on its side. Then the markings on the clickwheel will be sideways as well. It is not a very "Apple" design. More like something from Microsoft.

canisreevus
Sep 1, 2008, 05:35 PM
I am not complaining about the fact that they are the same general shape, just the sheer amount of similarities between the two. I understand that the Zune was a near knockoff of the original iPod nano, but this new iPod is even more of a knockoff to the Zune than the Zune was to the iPod. Is it really that hard for them to come up with something different. I would have liked to see them continue the same general design of the current iPod nano for a little longer, and improve on that. Figuring during last September's update, Jobs himself stated that the new iPod nano (3rd generation) was designed to better fit in the hand than the previous models, if this new model strongly resembles the 1st and 2nd generations, then what does that say about what Jobs said last September, and how this iPod will fit in the hand?

I think the point is for a true 16:9 to fit better in the hand, you have to go back to the candybar shape or else the already fat nano would get even fatter. About screen size/proportion Zune knock-off, to me it's like saying everyone was a knockoff who made a LCD or plasma TV after the initial one was released. It's just becoming standard now for the screen to be more of an integral part of a pmp even in the smaller players.

caliguy
Sep 1, 2008, 05:45 PM
I still don't believe this thing is even a legit new iPod Nano. Why would Apple go for this new curved design? Nano means small. Technology is only getting better allowing for thinner designs while adding bigger screens. If Apple wanted this to be the next Nano, they would have done this a year ago. This new design isn't progressive, it's just a look of the past.

If this is the new iPod, then Ive has seriously gotten bored. Nothing about this "Nano" sets it apart from competing digital music devices like iPods always have.

SimonJ
Sep 1, 2008, 05:49 PM

That's a pretty strange thing to say about an Apple product if you ask me...

Phormic
Sep 1, 2008, 05:58 PM
Ah the circle of life turns once more. Seems like only yesterday when photos of the "chubby" nano were leaked to a chorus of, "I call fake, Apple would never release anything that ugly".

Then leaked photos of the new 4G nano one to same, "I call fake" chorus. Now confirmed pictures of the case and everybody suddenly thinks the chubby is the best thing since sliced bread.

It's weird how Apple fans work. If they release a gold plated nano encrusted in diamonds for $100, there would be complaints.

scottylans
Sep 1, 2008, 06:17 PM
No guys....

That is the new iPod Nano... And yes it's horribly ugly, what was Steve thinking??? (Someone wanna buy my NICE 3g nano for $400 :p)

Same here, it's worth too much to sell if that's the new 4g nano.

scottylans
Sep 1, 2008, 06:18 PM
Then leaked photos of the new 4G nano one to same, "I call fake" chorus. Now confirmed pictures of the case and everybody suddenly thinks the chubby is the best thing since sliced bread.

There's still people who hate the chubby out there but I think it's fantatic, it just needs a touch screen :/

jojo13
Sep 1, 2008, 06:34 PM
I hope you're right! I want a new MBP.

so do i :D

MrCrowbar
Sep 1, 2008, 06:45 PM
Let me say that this and the recent pictures weren't intentionally fake but rather not Apple products. There are lots of knock off out there and this rounded iPod nano might just be an imitation, the rounded shape might be necessary to avoid getting sued by Apple for being too similar to their products.

The pictures here don't really show anything. I guess it's just a 2G nano case and someone messed with the cardboard of the package.

I'd love to see the 2G nano shape come back, maybe with rounded edges, because those sharp edges on my black 2G nano were worn off within a few weeks.

leehericks
Sep 1, 2008, 07:43 PM
Fatboy nanos are cute. Thought that from the minute pictures are leaked. Original skinny with shiny black and white were cute, later rounded skinnies weren't all that appealing to me.

The leaked photos or concepts of this rounded screen crap....LOOKS TERRIBLE. I really can't believe Apple would find that beautiful.

BoingoBongo
Sep 1, 2008, 07:45 PM
I think the current Nano design is perfect. This one just doesn't seem very..."Nano." It looks like something that goes in between a Nano and a Classic. I'm sure it will end up looking great and selling a million units, but sometimes I wish Apple would stop changing things simply for the sake of change. Cinema Displays haven't been updated in years, and iPods are updated annually like clockwork for no reason other than to make everyone want to buy a new one. Apple is one of the worse offenders when it comes to
"perceived obsolescence."

Orng
Sep 1, 2008, 08:03 PM
This probably isn't a nano at all, if it's even real. It's probably the next gen "Classic". But not called that of course. A hybrid between the classic and the touch.

I'm just pulling that out of the air to throw fuel on the fire.

jouster
Sep 1, 2008, 08:06 PM
Jobs should locate the idiot who agreed to changing the adapter and frog march him out of the office pronto....

I suspect he wouldn't have to go too far to find him.

Edit: If it were the case. I don't for a second think that the 30 pin connector is going anywhere.

beeh
Sep 1, 2008, 08:07 PM
Maybe someone has mentioned this already...in one picture, we see the top of the box, indicating it is for an "iPod Nano 4G", in the other picture we see this case out of the package...are we sure this case goes with the box in the first picture?

This isn't the Nano, it's gonna be a "Touch Nano"... :) ...at least I hope it is.

FightTheFuture
Sep 1, 2008, 08:08 PM

ahh.. sounds like you haven't ran with nike+ yet. definitely worth trying out on a 3G nano. bulky? the thing is like a postage stamp!

TheIntruder
Sep 1, 2008, 08:13 PM
Fake? No.

The pictures of the case were taken at the IFA consumer electronics trade show in Berlin, which opened on the 29th.

Hama is a German manufacturer of CE accessories and they've let the cat out of the bag by including their case for the new Nano in their booth display. Intentional or not, information about future developments do come out of trade shows.

It's not the first time an entity that should reside behind the wall of NDA has come out on the other side.

thecartoonguy
Sep 1, 2008, 08:19 PM
Fake? No.

The pictures of the case were taken at the IFA consumer electronics trade show in Berlin, which opened on the 29th.

Hama is a German manufacturer of CE accessories and they've let the cat out of the bag by including their case for the new Nano in their booth display. Intentional or not, information about future developments do come out of trade shows.

It's not the first time an entity that should reside behind the wall of NDA has come out on the other side.

Something is brewing at Apple. I have a close relationship with a few Apple stores and they are "changing" something at the store. Of course they won't say but there was a hint of "check the site tomorrow." I hope they are right. Because the iPhone is getting tiresome. Could the new nano be published on the site tomorrow? Oh the waiting........

bytethese
Sep 1, 2008, 09:08 PM
Here we go agaaaaaaaain...

I hope my new nano comes with songs created by iPod factory workers. :)

mmmmmmmmmm
Sep 1, 2008, 09:20 PM
is it me or are there no shadows behind the case like there are behind the iphone?

the thumb in the other one barely seems to be touching the case and in an awkward position to be holding a case with that shape.

...just saying!

baslotto
Sep 1, 2008, 10:59 PM
He is totally right!
Don't you guys see that it's a poor fake?
In the first picture the iPhone has a shadow and the "4 gen Nano case" has nothing, it looks like it was glued on. On the last picture the guy is holding something smaller that has been replaced by the mockup of the nano, half the thumb is covered, who holds things "over" the thumb?

Bad fake guys, look closer!!! :D

fredsarran
Sep 2, 2008, 01:13 AM
I have mix feelings for this 4G iPod. If it is really true, then Apple got it all wrong :(

Pigumon
Sep 2, 2008, 01:42 AM
I'm not saying the nano won't be like the rumors claim, but there's nothing about these pics that prove anything.

You have a guy holding a piece of curved plastic in one photo, then a closeup of some packaging without showing what's in the package.

This proves nothing.

franzmueller
Sep 2, 2008, 01:44 AM
i do agree, the ipod design and click wheel seem outdated in my mind.

Well , after using my ipod Touch for almost a year in my car I finally got my " old " 60 GB video ipod to work again ( the trick with the folded calling card between the battery and the hard disk go it running again ) and it΄s back where it belongs .

So ,in my opinion the click wheel is not outdated by any means .

Saludos

jannesalovaara
Sep 2, 2008, 02:47 AM
Isn't that one for the old 4G nano? The older one was roughly the same shape..
Or was it iPod mini?

Podgie
Sep 2, 2008, 02:54 AM
Gosh everyone has a lot of hate for it. I think based on the cases it will look alright. I would consider purchasing one. :)

zengod
Sep 2, 2008, 03:52 AM
Actually looking closer at the photos they are both photoshopped - I call fake on this one.

iAlan
Sep 2, 2008, 04:00 AM
I can't say if I like the 'rumored' new nano shape or not. Guess I will have to wait and see the final product (if it is true!)

That being said, I think the cases are all mock-ups - aka fakes. Something doesn't look right. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but the photos don't cut it. An elaborate hoax? I don't know.

I am sure a new nano design is on the way but I do not think it will be as curved (especially the screen) or come with a new smaller dock connector.

Let's hope whatever comes blows us all away. Not that I need another iPod on top of hte many I have in addition to a Touch and the iPhone, but hey, Apple make - I buy!

clu10
Sep 2, 2008, 05:14 AM
ya'll said i was wrong, told me i was stupid, and had no idea about what i was talking about. weeeeellllll.

told ya so , told ya so, told told told told told ya so

clu10
Sep 2, 2008, 05:15 AM
Actually looking closer at the photos they are both photoshopped - I call fake on this one.

wow.......you still call it fake after ALL the supporting evidence. you must really hate the new design

phalewhale
Sep 2, 2008, 05:31 AM
That case looks like my PS3...

Dublo7
Sep 2, 2008, 07:11 AM
I don't think Apple will ever beat the design of the G1/G2 nanos.

juiceman
Sep 2, 2008, 07:30 AM
I'm absolutely certain that this case is NOT for a 4th Generation nano.
Apple don't even let 99% of their employees know about new designs, there is no way they're going to let some poxy little case maker know.
Anyone who produces accessories gets to know only when the rest of the world gets to know.
Apple are being just as secretive as ever about this latest release.

Dublo7
Sep 2, 2008, 07:33 AM
I'm absolutely certain that this case is NOT for a 4th Generation nano.
Apple don't even let 99% of their employees know about new designs, there is no way they're going to let some poxy little case maker know.
Anyone who produces accessories gets to know only when the rest of the world gets to know.
Apple are being just as secretive as ever about this latest release.

This is exactly what happened last year. I can almost guaruntee you this is the 4th gen nano.

MowingDevil
Sep 2, 2008, 07:57 AM
I don't see that as photoshopped at all, his hand is merely holding the case so that not to obstruct the product. So is this image photoshopped too?

http://es.engadget.com/media/2008/09/hamafundasipodnano4g-3600.jpg

What I see is an empty case probably w/ a cardboard insert of the wheel for display purposes.
What I don't get is why you'd want a case w/ access to the wheel but has blocked off the screen.
Odd...

fuziwuzi
Sep 2, 2008, 08:05 AM
I don't see that as photoshopped at all, his hand is merely holding the case so that not to obstruct the product. So is this image photoshopped too?

http://es.engadget.com/media/2008/09/hamafundasipodnano4g-3600.jpg

What I see is an empty case probably w/ a cardboard insert of the wheel for display purposes.
What I don't get is why you'd want a case w/ access to the wheel but has blocked off the screen.
Odd...

i think you'll find that it's one of those metallic/mirror cases, and the screen will shine through that dark coating.

iAlan
Sep 2, 2008, 08:24 AM

Odd...

i think you'll find that it's one of those metallic/mirror cases, and the screen will shine through that dark coating.

The case just looks too 'perfect' as if it has been added after the fact.

And I don't know how you would watch a video through that case even if it does allow some light to shine through.

I still call fake on this one (basically because the dock connector has me a little questioning)

o0samotech0o
Sep 2, 2008, 09:39 AM
The case just looks too 'perfect' as if it has been added after the fact.

And I don't know how you would watch a video through that case even if it does allow some light to shine through.

I still call fake on this one (basically because the dock connector has me a little questioning)

it looks anything but perfect the case, look at the side of the black plastic, it looks as if some dodgy scissors have been used, and the hole for the click wheel, on the left, that has been cut out wonkily too.. :rolleyes:

:apple: serious :apple: fan :apple:

Josso
Sep 2, 2008, 10:17 AM

Funny that I really like the "Fat" one.
Perfect for pocket, and great to see movies on. (When the other iPod is too expensive)

The Tall One
Sep 2, 2008, 10:30 AM
Boooorrrrinnnnggggg

BlizzardBomb
Sep 2, 2008, 10:34 AM
Because I have a 1st gen iPhone (rock solid) and a 3G iPhone (POS) and am tired of Apple putting our product after product and not fixing the problems with their current product line.

I bought the 1st iPhone because I was tired of MS Mobile because it was a horrible interface and was and still is riddled with problems.

I'm seeing the same pattern with the iPhone 3G.

Just because I'm a Windows Guy doesn't mean I can't have a Mac Phone.
Good choice first time really BAD choice with the 3G.

That's why I'm in a Mac Forum. Why are you here other than to give me **** for my Screen Name?

Edit.
I've also owned every iPod since 1st Gen.

Didn't mean any offence, just seemed that most of your posts I've read were very negative, which could end up offending some loyalists.

milo
Sep 2, 2008, 12:05 PM
Funny how people bashed the fatty before it was released, and now that they're seemingly going back to something more like the previous model, people like the fatty better.

I liked the fatty all along, and I still think it's a better design than this new one - turning it sideways is odd for the controls and seems very ZUNE.

Manatee
Sep 2, 2008, 12:15 PM
I wish I didn't already have eight iPods. I might get more excited about a new one.

Hackntosh
Sep 2, 2008, 01:18 PM

ITs fake, there is a shadow on the left side of the iphone and there is none on the left side of the "new case" its pretty odd that a low quality fake has made it this far. Well whatever the iPod updates are I am sure that they will be fine. I really don't see the big deal with all of this. Its not a huge leap in anything really, other than changing the design a little. Maybe you will get a little more storage maybe one or two new features but nothing really life changing. Its gadget in the end, it will just be replaced in a year or two by something else.

happydude
Sep 2, 2008, 02:53 PM
curved screen . . . don't like it, won't get it.

i'm sure they'll unload tons of them on next year's back to school promotion, though . . .

clu10
Sep 2, 2008, 04:15 PM
Odd...

the screen isnt blocked off ,the material over the screen is clear, your seeing what's behind it,

pubwvj
Sep 2, 2008, 10:13 PM
A 2nd level Tech Support person at Apple told me this evening that the new iPods just coming out soon won't have the 2.0 OS on them, you'll still need to upgrade to it ($9.95) after buying the iPod. My call was about problems with my iPod Touch but when she said it she said "iPods". Could have been a generalization or it could mean the 2.0 OS is going to be used on the other iPods as well.

Mattzane15
Sep 2, 2008, 10:53 PM
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94955

Drinahn
Sep 3, 2008, 10:54 AM
Hmm I'm concerned about these images. Putting that together with the mini-usb port on the last iPod nano rumors...

I am intending to buy a nano for my girlfriend's birthday in the last half of September. I'd also like to buy her a Nike sports kit with it. If they go making the nano not use a dock connector, then the sports kit won't work with it!

A part of me is saying - take no risk, buy it all now. Another part is saying, "Apple wouldn't ditch the dock connector, it's ludicrous.", wait till next Tuesday.

The one point in favour of the "ditching the dock connector" - is Nike's recent Race the World campaign. The entire race seemed targetted at selling more nike gear, in particular nike ipod sports kits. Would Nike go to this much trouble to lower their inventories in light of an impending lack of support?

aafuss1
Sep 4, 2008, 05:02 AM
I'm very suprised that unlike last year, we've haven't seen any sites remove new nano images due to requests from Apple's legal team.

JML42691
Sep 4, 2008, 07:02 AM
I'm very suprised that unlike last year, we've haven't seen any sites remove new nano images due to requests from Apple's legal team.
The thing is, most of these images come from speculation of some sort and as far as most of us can tell, they are not official. I don't believe that Apple Legal would have any standing on this case, because this case may have been made off of the rumors, and it is not any product made by Apple.

gkarris
Sep 4, 2008, 07:24 AM

Builds more hype. Apple is probably not minding the leaks, unlike before. Remember that the AppleTV and iPhone were announced and shown long before they were actually available.

Marky_Mark
Sep 4, 2008, 09:47 AM
Exactly. Before the current Nano, the Mini looked just like this (but with a smaller screen). When the fatter ratio was rumored, everyone said it looked horrible.

People are fickle.

I'm not fickle, I still think the fat nano looks fugly. One thing I haven't seen ventured is that the curved screen may have some type of magnifying effect on the small image - might be just what you need if you want to watch a film on something that small.

They'd need to get it right of course, otherwise people'd get headaches and eye strain. Mind you, if anyone can get it right, it'd be Apple. Say what you like about the software, the industrial design is still solid. (Fat Nan still looks like one, mind! :D )

i0Nic
Sep 9, 2008, 01:01 PM

I'm a prophet.