PDA

View Full Version : No Apple Superbowl Ad?

MacRumors
Jan 15, 2004, 06:52 PM
CNN Money (http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/15/news/companies/superbowl_companies/) reports on the high prices for ads at the upcoming Super Bowl.

This Super Bowl marks the 20th anniversary of Apple's famous 1984 Super Bowl television commercial. A recent article (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/12/20031222220838.shtml) in AdAge (http://www.adage.com) noted that Apple was considering a Super Bowl ad to mark this anniversary, however, the CNN article reveals that there are no plans to do so at this time:

Incidentally, a spokesman for Apple Computer said the company doesn't have any plans to advertise during the Super Bowl to mark the ad's 20th anniversary, but he did inquire how many ad spots were left.

Sherman
Jan 15, 2004, 06:54 PM
:(

I'm definitely disappointed if this turns out to be true. I was hoping that they'd announce something cool, such as an actual 20th Anniversary Macintosh.

Oh well, here's to hoping that it's not true. Let's go ask Ridley.

Mr Maui
Jan 15, 2004, 07:00 PM
I say save the Superbowl Ad cost and apply it to discounts on the product line. :D

FriarTuck
Jan 15, 2004, 07:03 PM
Unless they're going to introduce a paradigm-changing product, I'd prefer that they let the legend live on in our memories.

And roll it out for neat stuff like the recent iPod edition during the Stevenote.

PowerBook User
Jan 15, 2004, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Sherman
:(

I'm definitely disappointed if this turns out to be true. I was hoping that they'd announce something cool, such as an actual 20th Anniversary Macintosh.

Yeah, that's dissapointing. I hope they change their minds. What if they actually introduced a product during a commercial (maybe an iMac G5:D ).

hob
Jan 15, 2004, 07:07 PM
Jeez... I really hope apple don't screw this up - i really wanted advertising/media frenzy! It's the 20th Anniversary!! Pssht, they'll probably start at the end of the year claiming 21st Anniversary is more important... :rolleyes:

Hob :p

legion
Jan 15, 2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Sherman

He's been working on a big movie shooting in Spain. (no time for ads anymore...)

mhouse
Jan 15, 2004, 07:18 PM
Superbowl ad time is heinously overpriced now. Remember all the .coms that bought it a few years back? Fat lotta good it did them.

Steamboatwillie
Jan 15, 2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by mhouse
Superbowl ad time is heinously overpriced now. Remember all the .coms that bought it a few years back? Fat lotta good it did them.

I have to agree. Also I think that Apple does an excellent job advertising even without the 'big' exposure of the superbowl. I doubt it would really make much of a difference if they ran the ad or not (for sales) and like another poster said save that money to lower the product lines prices!

balconycollapse
Jan 15, 2004, 07:36 PM
There will already be an ad by Pepsi promoting iTunes, and the bottle top give away. I think thats a formal introduction of an exciting paradigm shifting product as well as unheard of ad campaign.

ZildjianKX
Jan 15, 2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by balconycollapse
There will already be an ad by Pepsi promoting iTunes, and the bottle top give away. I think thats a formal introduction of an exciting paradigm shifting product as well as unheard of ad campaign.

That's exactly what I was going to post... with Pepsi, they don't need another ad.

fredwick
Jan 15, 2004, 07:48 PM
good. it would be cool, but i think it would be a big waste of money that could be spent on R&D or other more numerous advertisements that would be cheaper and reach a larger audiance.

Frohickey
Jan 15, 2004, 07:50 PM
Save the money.
Spend it on developing more insanely great products.

$2.3 million... thats 767 PowerMac G5s... they would need to sell another BigMac to break even.

greenstork
Jan 15, 2004, 07:57 PM
Jeez, how is anyone going to find out what an iPod is? ;)

Why would they want to save money when they have to get the word out about a product no one's ever heard about. Wait...er...everyone does know about the iPod already, scratch that.

sushi
Jan 15, 2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Frohickey
Save the money.
Spend it on developing more insanely great products.

$2.3 million... thats 767 PowerMac G5s... they would need to sell another BigMac to break even.
Uh, no. They would need to sell many more PowerMac G5s just to break even.

Remember there are costs associated with manufacturing the PowerMac G5.

Sushi

nagromme
Jan 15, 2004, 08:09 PM
Who cares about one TV show? It's of historical interest, but putting the same money into many MORE ads in a variety of other time slots seems to make sense to most advertisers.

And this has nothing to do with any new products or the lack thereof. Apple can introduce new products any time, without an Expo OR a Superbowl ad.

Besides, Apple may get indirect advertising from Pepsi.

Photorun
Jan 15, 2004, 08:14 PM
I agree with above posters, save the money and use those savings to knock $50 off the price of the Mini iPod so they'll sell like hotcakes and will actually make a lot MORE money for Apple at the sub $200 price point. A win-win!

Faeylyn
Jan 15, 2004, 08:27 PM
So what's Apple's cost for a low-end eMac? $500 maybe? 2.3 million would buy over 4500 eMacs. Divide that into 900 computer labs of 50 eMacs per lab. Donate it all to 900 schools across the nation. That, IMO, would be a MUCH better way to spend the money.

crees!
Jan 15, 2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by greenstork
Jeez, how is anyone going to find out what an iPod is? ;)

Why would they want to save money when they have to get the word out about a product no one's ever heard about. Wait...er...everyone does know about the iPod already, scratch that.

That's what the Pepsi promotion for iTunes is for. iTunes is synominous with iPods and vice versa. I'm not sure how it all works but I wouldn't be surprised if Apple and Pepsi somehow split the advertising cost.

ClimbingTheLog
Jan 15, 2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Photorun
I agree with above posters, save the money and use those savings to knock $50 off the price of the Mini iPod so they'll sell like hotcakes and will actually make a lot MORE money for Apple at the sub $200 price point. A win-win!

Nice, Photorun, that was going to be my smart-assed comment. :D

Jerry Spoon
Jan 15, 2004, 09:20 PM
I sure don't blame apple. I thouht their last superbowl ad (1999 I think) wasn't that good.
Although I think they could do a cool iPod mini commercial. Maybe people will look beyond the price if the commercial is good.

varmit
Jan 15, 2004, 09:21 PM
If they don't, everyone that loves the mac will be very disapointed in Apple. Who cares about pepsi's ad, we want an Apple exclusive ad, something that will get people thinking, like they thought in 1984.

Do it Apple!

I want to have something to cheer about.

daddy-mojo
Jan 15, 2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Faeylyn
So what's Apple's cost for a low-end eMac? $500 maybe? 2.3 million would buy over 4500 eMacs. Divide that into 900 computer labs of 50 eMacs per lab. Donate it all to 900 schools across the nation. That, IMO, would be a MUCH better way to spend the money.

that is a good idea. and not to mention that since apple is now a debt free company, that would be a nice additional tax write off with good positive exposure.

Freg3000
Jan 15, 2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
I sure don't blame apple. I thouht their last superbowl ad (1999 I think) wasn't that good.

Refresh my memory please....what Ad did Apple run? I wasn't on the Mac Scene back then. :D

pascalpp
Jan 15, 2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Faeylyn

Even assuming you have the correct cost to Apple per eMac, your math is wrong. 4500 eMacs / 50 per lab = 90 labs, not 900. Or, 900 labs of 5 eMacs each.

Regardless it would be a nice gesture, but don't count on it.

winmacguy
Jan 15, 2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Photorun

Having just seen the pricing of Sony's new 2GB MD at $325.00 US with its features or lack of against the new mini iPod at $249.00 US with more competitors still to get into the market place (not including the likes of Dell DJ and the Zen Nomad I dont think that knocking $50 of the price of the mini iPod as going to be of any aditional benefit to Apple.

They are already stuggling to cope with demand for the existing iPod range and from what I have heard about pre sales orders on Amazon for the new iPod mini Apple could end up having similar issues with production capacity for the mini, factor the Pepsi promo into the equation and the HiPod from HP with their 110,000 channels of distribution in 140+ countries world wide

Incidently I have just been doing some scouting around for "cheap" memory sticks and have found
1Gb MemoryStick $1016.18NZ from Ascent Technology = about US$600

so that would make the 10G iPod at $645.00 NZ or $299US a pretty good deal.

I think Apples main concern would be getting enough iPods to enough customers in the shortest possible time.

eric_n_dfw
Jan 15, 2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Freg3000
Refresh my memory please....what Ad did Apple run? I wasn't on the Mac Scene back then. :D It was some kind of Y2K thing with the HAL9000 "eye". Touting Mac OS's Y2K compliance.

(Lame)

[edit]
BTW: Here's a bunch of Apple ads: http://www.redlightrunner.com/appleads.html

ITR 81
Jan 15, 2004, 11:34 PM
I have a feeling the Pepsi/Apple commerical will be combined.

I believe about 6-8 spots are still open for the SuperBowl.

But you would really have to work fast to get a commerical ready for the SuperBowl Sun.

eric_n_dfw
Jan 15, 2004, 11:41 PM
You know, it would be just like Jobs to somehow pull of a surprise ad - maybe pay out of his own pocket or through a friend of his who owns a big company to keep it a secret from the press.

Larry Ellison maybe? Anyone know if Oracle has any ads this year?

igordi
Jan 15, 2004, 11:57 PM
You know I've always loved that 1984 ad and that was even before I was an apple fan. When I watched it again last week I realized that it's just as relevant today as it was then. Imagine a few minor tweaks but the same overall theme.

The original was basically that we're giving you a choice. We're giving you power and we're putting you in charge of your future instead of "big brother".

In the simplest of examples imagine this one slight change to the spot. Microsoft is now "big brother". Think about it.

asan102
Jan 16, 2004, 12:39 AM
Hmm.. I suddenly have an image in my head of a silver iPod mini on the surface of the moon, standing upright, ala the Monolith. Maybe they could introduce a black one :) .

But yeah, if there's no revolutionary new product to introduce, don't advertise. They already have a combo ad with pepsi.

Faeylyn
Jan 16, 2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by pascalpp
Even assuming you have the correct cost to Apple per eMac, your math is wrong. 4500 eMacs / 50 per lab = 90 labs, not 900. Or, 900 labs of 5 eMacs each.

Regardless it would be a nice gesture, but don't count on it.

Oops. Okay, make it an even 100 labs of 50 per lab.

For Apple, it wouldn't simply be a nice gesture, it would be a way to get people familiar with Macs that might not otherwise be, generate goodwill, get kiddies interested in it so they can bug mom & dad (that's what we use at school!), etc. And endless amount of positives. How much effect do any of the commercials really have?

Faeylyn
Jan 16, 2004, 01:45 AM
Personally, I think Apple could sell the mini at $199 right now. And that the reason they aren't is to get another $50 out of early adopters. There are a lot of people who will pay that price, why not grab it?

This would also help them keep up with the initial demand. After demand starts dropping and production ramps up, drop the price $50 and capture the hold-outs.

Mord
Jan 16, 2004, 01:51 AM
yes apple's really going to say yes we are going to advertise for the superbowl <insert sarcarsm
(why the hek is it called that when there is no bowling nor is it super it's just rugby for wusses?)

masterthespian
Jan 16, 2004, 02:05 AM
What they should do is bring back Yao Ming and MiniMe to do a new ipod commercial. (Jeff Goldblum speaks) First Apple came out with the best mp3 player on the planet the ipod and now we have the mini ipod....ipod...mini ipod...ipod...mini ipod.... You get the picture.

cheers

mT

and then out pops goldmembers who shouts " I love gold mini ipod"

Omad0n
Jan 16, 2004, 02:35 AM
Jeez. is it me alone who sees this as a big farce. Who knows what's going to happen with apple? Rumore sites, certainly not. Apple, hoppefully since they're the onces orchestrating it. Only time will tell and then we'll all see.

::edit grammer::

sosumi
Jan 16, 2004, 03:24 AM
I think Pepsi will do the ad. They are more used to spend a lot of marketing dollars...

Sabbath
Jan 16, 2004, 07:06 AM
When you consider the cost of an ad I dont think its worth it for Apple. If they did it surely must be either to launch an entirely new product or it would just be for sentimental reasons (it would be so cool if Steve Jobs just covered it out of his own pockets, not going happen I know but they sure are deep enough, maybe even an animation ad made by pixar! :D )

However you also have to consider that if they do run an ad it has to live up to the best ad in history tag and its probably going to fail on that front leaving Apple with not too positive publicity.

Fender2112
Jan 16, 2004, 08:01 AM
I'll probabley be in the bath room and miss it anyway :(

MrMacMan
Jan 16, 2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
That's exactly what I was going to post... with Pepsi, they don't need another ad.
Indeed, now does anyone know if Pepsi is advertising on the Superbowl?

BTW, who is gonna buy stuff they see on the superbowl... most of tha adults watching are wasted. ;)

Anyway... I still think the G4 Ad Campaign (http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/redlightrunner/supercomputer.mov)

Supercomputer... was really nice.

'Built off of 1100 Apple G5's -- The G5 is Powerful enough for any user'

:D

MongoTheGeek
Jan 16, 2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Mr Maui
I say save the Superbowl Ad cost and apply it to discounts on the product line. :D

Sure. Lets hear it for a $0.50 drop in the cost of a mini-pod!

MongoTheGeek
Jan 16, 2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by mhouse

At the time I had no money. If I had I would have shorted the lot of them. You know how much you could have made with a short sell of Enron and Pets.com back in 2000?

Superbowl ads are typically a bad buy unless you are selling trucks, beer, soda or snack food.

eric_n_dfw
Jan 16, 2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Fender2112
I'll probabley be in the bath room and miss it anyway :( Reason 10234 to buy a Tivo! :D

SilvorX
Jan 16, 2004, 09:45 AM
Superbowl ads are typically a bad buy unless you are selling trucks, beer, soda or snack food.
free pepsi and doritos with every Mac :D

K12MacTech
Jan 16, 2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by MrMacman

Well, they are the "Official Soft Drink of the NFL" and Superbowl.com has Pepsi links all over the place, so I'd think there would be lots of advertising.

wdlove
Jan 16, 2004, 11:41 AM
At the cost reported by, NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Although advertising rates for a 30-second Super Bowl spot on CBS hit a record $2.3 million. I would prefer to see Apple do an advertising sweep around the actual 20th Anniversary of the Mac.

I could also see that Pepsi might incorporate an ad including Apple, since it was already announced that they are giving away 1 millions songs in February.

ITR 81
Jan 16, 2004, 12:05 PM
Pepsi released a Pepsi pre SB commerical already...basically saying wait for what we got to show you type deal.

mproud
Jan 16, 2004, 12:11 PM
He said, she said.

The article means nothing. "According to," "blank says..."

whatev

Cappy
Jan 16, 2004, 01:04 PM
I don't think it would be Job's style to do a 20th anniversary super bowl commercial. That's pretty big shoes to fill and his and customers' expectations are to hit a home run everytime in whatever they do. Now Pepsi, McDonalds, or any other biggies that they work out deals with might do something that ties to Apple but that'll be about it.

What I'm surprised we haven't seen is Apple and even other companies get more involved in the March Madness of college basketall's Big Dance and show a series of commercials then. That is a huge viewing audience that is spread out over time. You don't need that one expensive home run but a nice series to play over those weeks. Get a few pro b-ball players to be in the commercials and you've got a decent hit.

rdowns
Jan 16, 2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Fender2112
I'll probabley be in the bath room and miss it anyway :(

That's sacreligious. Everyone knows you pee during the game so you don't miss any Super Bowl ads.

rdowns
Jan 16, 2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by MrMacman

BTW, who is gonna buy stuff they see on the superbowl... most of tha adults watching are wasted. ;)

Anyway... I still think the G4 Ad Campaign (http://lib1.store.vip.sc5.yahoo.com/lib/redlightrunner/supercomputer.mov)

Supercomputer... was really nice.

'Built off of 1100 Apple G5's -- The G5 is Powerful enough for any user'

:D

Yes, Pepsi is advertising.

"CBS has sold 54 in-game spots for the Feb. 1 game to marketers such as Anheuser-Busch Cos., Frito-Lay, Pepsi-Cola Co. and Procter & Gamble Co. Eight slots remain, according to media buyers. Those last spots, as usual, are available for significantly less than the spots already sold, although the network is shuffling inventory in a bid to keep the value high. The fourth quarter is now selling for as low as $1.8 million, media buyers reported."

Found that at www.advertisingage.com

jayb2000
Jan 16, 2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by ITR 81
I have a feeling the Pepsi/Apple commerical will be combined.

I believe about 6-8 spots are still open for the SuperBowl.

But you would really have to work fast to get a commerical ready for the SuperBowl Sun.

I know CBS turned down a ready ad from bushin30seconds.org, so its not all about money.
You can see the ad here (small) (http://www.bushin30seconds.org/view/01_small.shtml) and here (big) (http://www.bushin30seconds.org/view/01_large.shtml)

sw1tcher
Jan 16, 2004, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by jayb2000
I know CBS turned down a ready ad from bushin30seconds.org, so its not all about money.
You can see the ad here (small) (http://www.bushin30seconds.org/view/01_small.shtml) and here (big) (http://www.bushin30seconds.org/view/01_large.shtml)

And one from PETA also. :mad:

sw1tcher
Jan 16, 2004, 02:48 PM
Why do so many people here want Apple to do a 30 second spot during the Superbowl? For the price of that single 30 second spot, Apple could use that money to do a more effect advertising campaign for their products later on.

A Superbowl ad, IMO, would be a waste if there is no new ground-breaking product it's trying to promote/introduce, like with the original 1984 ad.

To paraphrase what someone else said here: If we were running Apple, the company would've gone out of business a long time ago.

We're letting our love of all things Apple cloud our reasoning/judgement. From what I've been reading, the reasons why some people want Apple to run an ad seems kinda selfish. It's something like "Yeah, run an ad so we can show the world how much Apple rules!"

brandon_deal
Jan 16, 2004, 02:51 PM
guess not

Capt Underpants
Jan 16, 2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by brandon_deal
guess not

Wow, what a completely enlightening and relevant post.....:rolleyes:

jnasato
Jan 16, 2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by FriarTuck
Unless they're going to introduce a paradigm-changing product, I'd prefer that they let the legend live on in our memories.
Yah, spending so much money for just old school's sake- with an iPod change in the ad- is sort of a waste.
The only amazing thing they could do with the ad is introduce a 20th anniversary quad 2GHz G5 system or something along those lines...

uberman42
Jan 17, 2004, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by rdowns
That's sacreligious. Everyone knows you pee during the game so you don't miss any Super Bowl ads.

You will not miss a thing if you use one of the empty beer bottles or the empty dip bowl for the b-room breaks;)

wdlove
Jan 17, 2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by uberman42
You will not miss a thing if you use one of the empty beer bottles or the empty dip bowl for the b-room breaks;)

I would suggest that you use the bathroom prior to the game. Then go again at halftime, just turn up the sound so that you can hear the music.

rdowns
Jan 17, 2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by wdlove
I would suggest that you use the bathroom prior to the game. Then go again at halftime, just turn up the sound so that you can hear the music.

Takes a tough man to hold his beer for the entire first half. I only have iBladder, the consumer app. I heard Apple is releasing the pro version on Tuesday.

bobme
Jan 17, 2004, 10:56 PM
Did you all see the 1984 ad on Apple home page? Anybody know how they added the iPod and earphones to the hammer-throwing runner? Pretty cool!

wdlove
Jan 18, 2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by bobme
Did you all see the 1984 ad on Apple home page? Anybody know how they added the iPod and earphones to the hammer-throwing runner? Pretty cool!

Yes, I saw it originally during the live satelite webcast at my local Apple Store. I also have the ad downloaded on my hard drive. I would imagine that they used Maya or something similar to ad the iPod with earphones to the lady. I agree, it's very cool. Very pleased when first viewed.

whooleytoo
Jan 19, 2004, 06:46 AM
Speaking of Pepsi, I just read they've signed Enrique, Beyonce, Britney Spears and Pink up for a multi-million dollar music advert, to be screened 'early this year', under the campaign slogan "Dare For More".

It sounds like the Superbowl advert to me..

sketchy
Jan 21, 2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by K12MacTech
Well, they are the "Official Soft Drink of the NFL" and Superbowl.com has Pepsi links all over the place, so I'd think there would be lots of advertising.

I have not seen anyone mention this -- do you think people in the half time show will have iPods? - subliminal advertising...? Pepsi probibly has some power in this area...

Dave

Steamboatwillie
Jan 21, 2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by sketchy
I have not seen anyone mention this -- do you think people in the half time show will have iPods? - subliminal advertising...? Pepsi probibly has some power in this area...

Dave

Ooh, how about this... The half time commercial would be a total subliminal trick. While they are cutting from the announcers to the beggining of the commercials the cameras could be panning the crowd and EVERYONE would have an iPod bopping thier heads to music, even cooler would be one out of ever 30 or 40 fans would be a blacked out silhouette like in the commercials. :p

Applespider
Jan 21, 2004, 04:08 PM
Hadn't been planning on taking mine to the game - but hey, I could be persuaded! ;)

archi00
Jan 21, 2004, 05:02 PM
As an apple fan myself, I'd rather see no ad on the superbowl, The money is best spent elsewhere. On the 24th, or the tuesday following, apple may just have something new on their website, knowing that the diehard fans will be checking the website regularly to see if there is anything new for the 20th anniversary. Marketing for this product could then begin sometime afterward - as it always does.