PDA

View Full Version : Buying New vs. Refurb from Apple

scollie41
Sep 6, 2008, 09:30 AM
Any thoughts? I am very close to buying a 20" iMac to replace my current iBook. Currently there is a 20" 2.66 GHz the is refurb and selling for 1299 compared to buying it new for 1499. There is not much difference between the two machines and it looks like the refurb deal has the same warranty. Has anyone had good/bad experiences buying refurb direct from Apple? The shipping is even free.

mixmacface
Sep 6, 2008, 10:10 AM
Any thoughts? I am very close to buying a 20" iMac to replace my current iBook. Currently there is a 20" 2.66 GHz the is refurb and selling for 1299 compared to buying it new for 1499. There is not much difference between the two machines and it looks like the refurb deal has the same warranty. Has anyone had good/bad experiences buying refurb direct from Apple? The shipping is even free.

if you're wanting to save money, i say go for the refurb. i like the idea that apple puts their refurbs through a rigorous test before putting them up for sale. . however, sometimes, you do receive a lemon. that's the chances you taken when getting a refurbished one. of course, new ones aren't always perfect. (mac users tend to want perfection when they're dropping a pretty penny on computers) but ask for the shipping: all orders over 50 dollars have free shipping from the apple store. but they do get you with tax. i'd rather pay shipping than taxes.

but best of luck to whatever you get.

Vulcan
Sep 6, 2008, 11:01 AM
Typically, the only difference is the price. One downside is that you miss out on the promotions (free printer, free iPod).

bobbleheadbob
Sep 6, 2008, 11:50 AM
We got a reburb iMac 2 years ago. Worked perfectly. No difference between the two that I could tell except for the price.

Scepticalscribe
Sep 6, 2008, 03:27 PM
With both a refurb and a new Mac you have rigorous testing of the machine and the benefit of the standard one year warranty (and Applecare for two further years should you wish to purchaser that, too). This means that one has security and peace of mind when getting a refurb. The difference then, lies in cost and the savings you make on the refurb model versus more modern spec on the more recent model. Thus, it comes down to what your needs are when you buy.
Cheers and good luck

donga
Sep 6, 2008, 06:47 PM
if you're wanting to save money, i say go for the refurb. i like the idea that apple puts their refurbs through a rigorous test before putting them up for sale. . however, sometimes, you do receive a lemon. that's the chances you taken when getting a refurbished one. of course, new ones aren't always perfect. (mac users tend to want perfection when they're dropping a pretty penny on computers) but ask for the shipping: all orders over 50 dollars have free shipping from the apple store. but they do get you with tax. i'd rather pay shipping than taxes.

but best of luck to whatever you get.

i've noticed that amazon doesn't charge sales tax and will provide free shipping (with certain things like computers). you don't have the promotions with amazon though, and they aren't refurb either

gonyr
Sep 6, 2008, 07:17 PM
I always say go with the refurb over the new when it's the same model. It's the same computer, it's been checked an additional time, there's a better price. What's not to like?

mikenguyen
Sep 7, 2008, 03:06 AM
Go refurb, bought a blackbook in 2006 and i've never had a problem.

Schtumple
Sep 7, 2008, 03:21 AM
Refurbs have higher quality control, as they need to be better checked for faults, I bought my refurb MBP last week, and apart from the tiniest little ding (which was probably caused by me) it's perfect.

The only major difference with the refurb it comes in a plain brown cardboard box, instead of the shiny shiny one you get with new macs. Everything else is the same.

Cheffy Dave
Sep 7, 2008, 04:30 AM
I have had zero problems with my 2.2 refurbed BMB;) If you like saving money, go for it:cool:

jcoop
Sep 8, 2008, 06:28 AM
Unless you need or really want a BTO option, there's no reason not to go refurb.

techound1
Sep 8, 2008, 05:49 PM
The refurb is the way to go because:

1. It performs and looks like new
2. You get the same one-year warranty as new
3. The computer carries the same eligibility for Apple Care as new
4. It is fully tested (including full burn-in testing)
5. It is refurbished with replacement parts for any defective modules identified in testing
6. It is thoroughly cleaned and inspected
7. It is repackaged (including appropriate manuals, cables, new boxes, etc.) - nothing is missing
8. It includes the operating software originally shipped with the unit and the custom software offered with that system
9. It is placed into a final QA inspection prior to being added to sellable refurbished stock
10. You get a savings several times that of any coupon or promo code ($150 on a low end MacBook; $750 on a high-end MacBook Pro).

scollie41
Sep 8, 2008, 10:35 PM
Thanks everyone for the response - you've mad it clear that refurb is a good option. I hope to make the purchase as early as this week or possibly next week. I'll post with an update then. Thanks!

ezekielrage_99
Sep 8, 2008, 10:47 PM
I have bought a refurbished 20" iMac 2 years ago, it's great and I really can't fault it plus I saved about 30% off the price of a new one. I would highly recommend a refurb.

I'm planning on getting a new Mac very soon, depending if there is an update of the Macbooks and Macbook Pros I will probably get a refurbished Macbook Pro.

scollie41
Sep 16, 2008, 09:09 PM
So I ordered my refurb iMac on Sunday along with a replacement battery for my iBook and everything has shipped and should be here this week - I'm very excited!!!

iwuzbord
Sep 16, 2008, 09:12 PM
So I ordered my refurb iMac on Sunday along with a replacement battery for my iBook and everything has shipped and should be here this week - I'm very excited!!!

nice choice! great way to save money and get an excellent machine.

kinkster
Sep 16, 2008, 09:45 PM
Can anyone confirm that Apple does charge sales tax and Amazon doesn't on apple products?

If so I'll go with the 20" from amazon with the XT instead of the Pro, even though it's $100 more, since it had the better card and the sales tax would make up for it anyway.

ethen
Sep 16, 2008, 09:56 PM
refurb or new both have the chance of bring DOA or lemon. I purchased several refurb for my office and no lemon so far and our imac has been running quite well for 8 months :)

kinkster
Sep 16, 2008, 10:08 PM
Even if you do get a lemon you can just send it back or bring it to a store if you have one near you.

Not a serious concern when your saving hundreds of dollors.