PDA

View Full Version : Spore Preload and Gametree Online

Chaggi
Sep 6, 2008, 08:16 PM
I just preordered Spore on Gametree Online (I guess this like Mac web download site) and was wondering if anyone else did the same?

Basically, I haven't gotten my DL link for Spore, and I'd like to know if they're gonna give the link now, or like, at 12:01?

Thanks

NSWMaps
Sep 6, 2008, 10:13 PM
IDK bout what you guys may think, but that sight looks like a scam.

pianoplayer1
Sep 6, 2008, 10:27 PM

Uhh I dont think so...

http://www.macworld.com/article/133865/2008/06/gametree.html

Chaggi
Sep 6, 2008, 11:11 PM

I honestly thought so too. Then I saw a lot of sites saying it's legit. So I got it from there.

kkat69
Sep 7, 2008, 12:35 AM
I honestly thought so too. Then I saw a lot of sites saying it's legit. So I got it from there.

The site is most definitely legit. It's owned by Transgaming (as stated in the linked article) which are the makers of the CIDER port engine used for linux and mac games.

colocolo
Sep 7, 2008, 01:06 AM
I just preordered Spore on Gametree Online (I guess this like Mac web download site) and was wondering if anyone else did the same?

Basically, I haven't gotten my DL link for Spore, and I'd like to know if they're gonna give the link now, or like, at 12:01?

Thanks

I did the same thing. You'll be getting the DL link Sunday "late morning" (no idea where they are based though).

Bought creature creator from them as well, no issues whatsoever.

pdpfilms
Sep 7, 2008, 01:18 AM
Direct2Drive has it listed as releasing at 12:01am PST.

But it also lists the PC version as releasing at 7:01am PST. :confused:

Dronomophone
Sep 7, 2008, 10:06 AM
i want my download already. ordered it last night around 11. now theres this message there that has me worried:

ATTENTION GAMERS: Delivery of SPORE for purchases made after midnight (GMT -5) on Saturday September 6th may be delayed by up to 72 hours. We will make best efforts to get digital distributions download e-mails to all purchasers as soon as is possible.

Chaggi
Sep 7, 2008, 10:14 AM
omg I know right.

I'm heading out in like 30 minutes and I want to start my download so I can have it when I get back.

I wonder if it's like Midnight Saturday... like Friday --> Saturday, or Saturday --> Sunday

Vague English!!!

Edit:

SPORE PRE-ORDER INQUIRIES: You will receive your download link and activation code within 72 hours after release. If you purchased prior to the official release date and time, Sunday September 7th 10h00 GMT -0500, you will be receiving your key within an hour or two of the release date.

Such LIES! But I found that on the GameTree Support Zone

Lyrric
Sep 7, 2008, 10:22 AM
Gah! So frustrating! "After midnight on Saturday" as in, 11:59pm Friday, 12:00am Saturday, like "if you ordered it on Saturday at all"? Or 11:59pm Saturday, 12:00am Sunday, so "if you ordered it on Sunday at all". Why can't they be clear? All they have to say is "If you ordered it on Saturday, it may take 72 hours". Then at least we would know!

Although if that GameTree Support Zone message is true, there's still hope. "Within an hour or two of the release date" means we will get it within the next hour and a half.

Dronomophone
Sep 7, 2008, 10:27 AM
im pretty sure midnight saturday is 12:00 am saturday. they better not make me wait 72 hours. the whole reason i paid for the dowload was so that i wouldn't have to wait for walmart to open. argh

Lyrric
Sep 7, 2008, 10:33 AM
Don't they know it's Sunday? I wanted to just wake up, start my download, and go back to sleep for a couple of hours. It's way too ****** early

Chaggi
Sep 7, 2008, 10:34 AM
I think it's the Saturday --> Sunday, as said in their Support Zone message. But... it's irritating, I agree.

I have to be off to do... ugh social things, hopefully the email will come when I get back.

Good luck to all!

BradB
Sep 7, 2008, 10:46 AM
You guys shoulda just got it off the spore website.

Chaggi
Sep 7, 2008, 10:48 AM
Like EA games? The PC only pre loads? The one that directs to Gametree Online if you wanted the Mac Version? :'(

desertrose0601
Sep 7, 2008, 11:11 AM
You guys shoulda just got it off the spore website.

You can't get Spore for Mac off the Spore website. They give you a link to the Gametree Online store from there. That's why I'm thinking it's got to be legit, but it is very frustrating to wake up and not have the email there! I feel like I've been waiting for years for this game!! (oh wait... I have...)

richiana
Sep 7, 2008, 11:14 AM
This is so annoying, no communication from them and no email link for the game. I've checked their site to see if I could cancel the order, and drive to bestbuy, but of course there's no option for that.

This is the last time I'll be using this company.

Lyrric
Sep 7, 2008, 11:20 AM
Just got my download link! Woohoo! All is forgiven. (Provided everything works alright. 1 hour 27 minutes to go. I'm going to go take a nap. Heh.)

Dronomophone
Sep 7, 2008, 11:22 AM
you did? oh man there's hope. when did you order it?

desertrose0601
Sep 7, 2008, 11:23 AM
You can't get Spore for Mac off the Spore website. They give you a link to the Gametree Online store from there. That's why I'm thinking it's got to be legit, but it is very frustrating to wake up and not have the email there! I feel like I've been waiting for years for this game!! (oh wait... I have...)

Nevermind - my link just came!! Woot!!! Now I just have to wait an hour for it to download! Ha!! Maybe it would've been quicker to go to the store to buy it this morning after all. :) Oh well... Too late now. At least it seems to be working. :) Yahoo!!!

P.S. I ordered mine on the 5th, for anyone who is wondering.

Dronomophone
Sep 7, 2008, 11:31 AM
Still nothing for me

Lyrric
Sep 7, 2008, 12:07 PM
I ordered mine yesterday around 7am, Dron, so if they're going in order you should get yours soon. (37 minutes remaining on my download.)

Dronomophone
Sep 7, 2008, 12:10 PM
I hope you're right. I just checked again and turns out i ordered it later than i thought. 12:50 am this morning.

Although I never imagined that the date and time i order a pre-order for something to download would affect when i get it.

pdpfilms
Sep 7, 2008, 12:28 PM
Wow- Those of you running into any download speed issues with Safari might want to try with Firefox. My download went from 18 hours to 6.

3x download speed increase... is that normal?

Chaggi
Sep 7, 2008, 01:14 PM
I just got my link as well. Placed my order at around 9 PM last night.

It's going anywhere at around 300-400 mps to like... 20-30

I think that's more my internet. Running Firefox though.

NSWMaps
Sep 7, 2008, 02:45 PM
WOW! So that sight actually works?? It won't need a CD either?

Dronomophone
Sep 7, 2008, 03:01 PM
Still don't have my link. This sucks so hard.

unintelligence
Sep 7, 2008, 03:08 PM
ordered mine at noon on saturday, still no link... :(

did any of you guys email them about your order? i did, and i have yet to hear back

Dronomophone
Sep 7, 2008, 03:39 PM
That's a good idea. I just sent them an email.

TheCrudMan
Sep 7, 2008, 08:47 PM
Placed order 6:30pm Sunday. Got an order confirmation email but no link yet. I think it is absolutely crazy that when you go to an online order site you don't get the download link right away: if you don't have ability to handle that kind of traffic for a game launch then you should get the hell out of that business. This is not that complicated stuff people. I am sure many of us would rather have our links and have to wait in virtual lines or have long downloads then we would to be sitting around feeling like we got ripped off.

TheHonorableJ
Sep 7, 2008, 11:36 PM
I think that it is totally insane for them to think that they can get away with this.

They should have to notify you of the 72 hour delay effect, before you fork their credit card number over to them. I used them because getting the creature creator was relatively harmless.

This however, sucks. If I had any notion that it could take them 3 days to get me the game because they don't have enough bandwidth to distribute properly then I would have gone and bought a hard copy.
:mad:

iBunny
Sep 8, 2008, 01:37 AM
Yeah I ordered mine from them too just a few minutes ago. I however did expect a 72 hour delay. So If I dont get anything my Wednesday night I will complain.

Where Im at, this is still faster than me finding a Hard copy for the Mac somewhere.

otispunkmeyer
Sep 8, 2008, 05:53 AM
Wow- Those of you running into any download speed issues with Safari might want to try with Firefox. My download went from 18 hours to 6.

3x download speed increase... is that normal?

doesnt FF try to open as many connections as possible to speed downloads? least thats what i always understood.

Dronomophone
Sep 8, 2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah, it's pretty messed up. To recap, i ordered mine saturday night. I sent them two emails yesterday. The second one asking for a refund. I ended up buying it at walmart. I still haven't heard anything from them. No download link. No refund.

TheHonorableJ
Sep 8, 2008, 12:49 PM
Yup, recap is correct.

I ordered it yesterday. 24 hours and two e-mails later I've gotten mine at Best Buy and sent in a request for a full refund.

Don't use GameTree if you want your game anytime soon.

Webnasty
Sep 8, 2008, 02:22 PM
Gametree is brutal. I'm about to request a refund and get it elsewhere. I thought the whole point to downloading software was the convenience. 72 hours? I could drive 3/4 across the country in that time span, let alone to the local BestBuy...

isnipeyoudie
Sep 8, 2008, 04:40 PM
Haha, I just checked their site. They're now claiming a 24 hour wait.

Such BS.:mad: I ordered well over 30 hours ago, and I've gotten squat.

kaltsasa
Sep 8, 2008, 04:55 PM
I ordered last night and I've nary seen a key or download link yet. So much for instant gratification. I might as well have driven to California to get it.

NSWMaps
Sep 8, 2008, 05:07 PM
Has anyone had success Direct2Drive.com? I'm holding out on getting it until I know more about the DRM crap they shoved into it.

isnipeyoudie
Sep 8, 2008, 05:11 PM
Has anyone had success Direct2Drive.com? I'm holding out on getting it until I know more about the DRM crap they shoved into it.

From what I read here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=558529), it seems to work fine. Makes me wish I got it from there. :(

kaltsasa
Sep 8, 2008, 08:51 PM
Does GameTree offer refunds, I'm thinking of just driving out to Wal-mart, I thought I would save a couple puffs of gas and stuff but it's been over 24 hours and I've got no damn code but they have my damn money.

isnipeyoudie
Sep 8, 2008, 08:54 PM
Does GameTree offer refunds, I'm thinking of just driving out to Wal-mart, I thought I would save a couple puffs of gas and stuff but it's been over 24 hours and I've got no damn code but they have my damn money.

I actually sent them an email asking about that, but no response so far. However, since I've heard from others that ordered it off of this site ask for refunds before I did (from here and elsewhere) and get no response either, you have to be wondering what the heck is going on in their office.

If worst comes to worst, I'll just deny the charge on the credit card.

EDIT: I just checked the FAQ, and it says they do offer refunds... but I don't know how 'efficient' they will be about doing that at this point.

TheCrudMan
Sep 8, 2008, 09:14 PM
I sent them an email asking for more info, they changed the wait time to 24 hours but it has been more than 24 hours since I ordered, almost 25 hours now. I am pretty pissed off.

rgomez
Sep 8, 2008, 10:16 PM
No luck here either with getting a response or the actual links to download the game. I bought it just 9 or 10 ours ago, so it's still not as bad as some people here, but I fear it's going the same route.

I really don't understand how they can screw up like this for the one of the most expected games of the year, if not THE one most expected.

Has anybody got any response from them??

Regards

giamgiam
Sep 8, 2008, 10:16 PM
It's been almost 35 hours for me. If it's any consolation though, there's no longer any delay listed, so maybe there's hope.

rgomez
Sep 8, 2008, 10:24 PM
I haven't seen that they no longer listed a delay... they also removed the message in the support section, so they should be confident that they don't have the problem.

Anyway still no email from them...

If only there was a Best Buy south of Texas :-)

Actually, I would really like the physical version, as it's possible I would like to install it on Windows (I have the games I play usually in the Windows disk on my Mac Pro).

Regards

kaltsasa
Sep 8, 2008, 10:27 PM
It's been almost 35 hours for me. If it's any consolation though, there's no longer any delay listed, so maybe there's hope.

It's not because I don't have a key or download still. Seriously, I have not been one of these super anti cider folk, mainly because I've had a fine time with C&C3 and X3 but these Canadian honkeys sure don't know how to run a download store.

P.S. Not all Canadian's are honkeys, just Transgaming.

Maybe someone should email the prez and tell him you'd love to send a creature but his terrible store hasn't sent the game.

http://www.transgaming.com/about/presidentsmsg/

TheCrudMan
Sep 8, 2008, 11:19 PM
Maybe someone should email the prez and tell him you'd love to send a creature but his terrible store hasn't sent the game.

http://www.transgaming.com/about/presidentsmsg/

I totally did that after you posted. No delay listed anymore, still waiting though. Grrrr.

TheCrudMan
Sep 8, 2008, 11:54 PM
Got a reponse from Transgaming president!

"Dear ******,

Thank you for your e-mail and for conveying your concerns to me. We regret there has been a delay in processing your order but I assure you that the TransGaming team is hard at work in rectifying this situation. You should be receiving a download link and activation key within the next 30 minutes.

While this experience with GameTree may not have been an ideal one for you, I hope you will give us another opportunity to win back your trust and confidence in the near future. This particular situation with SPORE is a rather unique one and we are building in processes and protocols to ensure there is not a similar recurrence in the future. We are certainly committed to the Mac market and look forward to continuing to bring outstanding games to the Mac as well as making them available through GameTree Online.

I extend my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this delay may have caused and I thank you for your patience. I hope you enjoy SPORE and I truly hope you'll give us an opportunity to impart a much better experience during your next transaction with us.

Sincerely,
Vikas"

Woo will let you know if I get the link!

TheCrudMan
Sep 9, 2008, 12:05 AM
Got my download link! Downloading DMG now.

iBunny
Sep 9, 2008, 12:14 AM
Got my download link! Downloading DMG now.

I just got mine too, Dling now 530kb/s w00t

TheHonorableJ
Sep 9, 2008, 12:32 AM
Yeah I'm sure that my download link would have come by now, but instead I have my notification of full refund.

At least they got that right. I was able to buy SPORE from GameTree, wait 24 hours, request a refund, go buy SPORE from Best Buy, play it for a whole day, get to space phase, get notification of refund.

Whew...

Message from the president makes me feel better. At least they acknowledge that they screwed up.

Webnasty
Sep 9, 2008, 06:06 AM
I got my link this morning too. I had emailed support over at the official Spore site letting them know what was going on at GameTree.

isnipeyoudie
Sep 9, 2008, 06:20 AM
Whee! After 40 hours (got mine 1 AM last night), I got my key. Well, I'll be able to play it as soon as I get home today! :p

kaltsasa
Sep 9, 2008, 07:08 AM
My key came in around 1AM as well, must be when they got whatever fixed to get these keys out.

While an honest response is a refreshing change from most companies, this has left me with a serious distaste for GameTree Online. I was on the edge about them to begin with. It will take some time before I trust their digital download site again.

TheCrudMan
Sep 11, 2008, 01:18 PM
Got to the center of the galaxy last night! (first species, although I was playing on easy since it was my first time) Pretty cool stuff. Oh, for you Star Trek fans out there, I've made some decent replicas of a few ships, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout, just search Delta Flyer or Runabout, and you'll find them, I am pretty proud of them, leave me a comment and let me know what you think!