Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajvizzgamer101

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
United States
Well I had a camera a while ago, then it was either lost or stolen so for my birthday instead of getting Madden 09 I got a new camera. Which really hurts because I don't have enough money for Spore and Madden 09. I thought it through and I am getting Spore over Madden 09. :cool:

Spore is going to be fantastic! I have been playing with the demo creature creator and have been looking at people's creative creatures on sporepedia. It's like looking at "Check Mii Out Channel" on Wii.

kaltsasa

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2002
Kellogg IA
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: I've put in a couple days off of vacation in September when I get it.

P.S. Madden has been the same game for the past 10 years, you've got one you've got them all. I swear E.A. thinks Madden is pokemon, gotta catchum all.

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
Short answer: YES

Long answer: Yes but not until I can upgrage from this MacBook to a MBP :(

Ed

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Not sure. Definitely won't get it right away. I still don't know what the game is about, what the goals are etc.

And a definite no if it doesn't come out on Steam.

palebluedot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
I definitely am, I'm getting it for Windows though.

It's a hybrid disc. Will run on Mac and Windows. Why would you guys play it in Windows when you can play it in Mac just as well? Do you ENJOY dual booting? :p

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
It's a hybrid disc. Will run on Mac and Windows. Why would you guys play it in Windows when you can play it in Mac just as well? Do you ENJOY dual booting? :p

That's pretty nice to know actually (the hybrid disc) but the thing is, it won't run the same on Mac as it will on Windows, no game I have ever tried has (not even games made by the gods of development, Blizzard, which develop their games simultaneously for the 2 platforms, I'm certainly not going to trust a Cider game published by EA :rolleyes:).

That aside, my Mac only has a measly 7300GT (for the moment) so I'd have to play it on my PC anyways :p

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I definitely will, though it's a toss between running it under Windows or Leopard.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
No.

1. Uses SecuROM for the Windows version, and I have heard the company is busy developing SecuROM for Mac OS X as well. I don't want a game to mess up my system.
2. It's not really a Mac version nor a Mac port, it's a Windows version squeezed through Cider, meaning it will run extremely poorly.
3. Cider doesn't seem to support GMA950 (or at least Spore), meaning all intel Mac minis and pre-latest revision of MacBooks won't be able to run it.

Spore does look like a nice game, but I have no choice to pass on it.

it5five

macrumors 65816
May 31, 2006
New York
I'd like to, but I have an older MacBook, so my graphics card makes it impossible. Interestingly enough, though, the GMA 950 is supported under Windows. So once I get a bigger hard drive so I have room to install Windows through Boot Camp and actually get around to purchasing a copy of XP, I'll probably buy Spore.

It's a shame too, because I was really looking forward to the game. It's probably better for me to not be able to play it though since I'm going to have a busy semester at school.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

If I get an ounce extra performance then yes. I've paid money for my computer and I want to get the best out of it.

Podgie

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2008
Nope. The darn game wont run on my macbook. (2.1GHZ 1gb ram) :( If I upgrades to maybe 2 or 4 GB of ram would it work? or is it the macbooks graphic card....?

Xander562

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
The day it comes out!

But Im unsure if Ill install it under Leopard or XP......

Same here, good to know I won't have to decide before I buy. I don't have as high of hopes for this game as I did for the Orange Box lets say but I think it'll still be well worth it.

I was put off by the half-assed creature creator though. Paying for the full version?! Heck no...

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Got it on pre-order. Will most likely play on Windows though as I don't want to fill my Mac partitions up with crap. I do the important stuff on the Mac and leave the pointless stuff to the PC side :).

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Not sure. Definitely won't get it right away. I still don't know what the game is about, what the goals are etc.

And a definite no if it doesn't come out on Steam.

It's kind of like a creature-evolution based civilization that is in the spirit of modern gaming, meaning there is lots of room for creativity on the user's part. You know, it's "open". Designing your own creatures and vehicles, everything about it is creativity waiting to happen. Besides that, it has great graphics, looks like the gameplay is done well, and is a huge game. Just the creature creator took FOREVER to download, and it wasn't traffic because I waited a while before downloading it.

Oh yeah... and I'm definitely getting it. My bday is Sept. 24th, lucky me!

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Yes, but not until I get bored with Quake Wars which could be a while :)

And if UT3 shows up this fall (and/or Gears of War and/or Starcraft 3) I'll have a REAL problem. Technically I can afford them all in money... but not in time!

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
Yes, but not until I get bored with Quake Wars which could be a while :)

And if UT3 shows up this fall (and/or Gears of War and/or Starcraft 3) I'll have a REAL problem. Technically I can afford them all in money... but not in time!

Starcraft 3 definitely isn't gonna be released this year

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.