Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
So to everybody buying Spore, are you getting the normal version or the Galactic Edition. I am getting the Galactic Edition!

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
So to everybody buying Spore, are you getting the normal version or the Galactic Edition. I am getting the Galactic Edition!

I can't decide if I want to get the Galactic Edition. It seems like a bit of a marketing ploy, I may just go with the regular version seeing as I don't have a lot of disposable income. :eek:

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
what's the galactic edition? This is the first I heard of it...

From Wikipedia:
A special edition game, Spore: Galactic Edition, is priced at $79.99 USD, and will include, in addition to the game, a "Making of Spore" DVD video, "How to Build a Better Being" DVD video by National Geographic Channel, "The Art of Spore" hardback mini-book, a fold-out Spore poster and a 100-page Galactic Handbook.

ManWithhat

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2008
Yes, I'll definately be getting it . . but most likely in January when I'm finished with school (graduating in December). WoW almost ruined my first few semesters . . .

I still have a 3.0+ :p

IscariotJ

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2004
UK
Nope. I'll wait for it to hit a console, or until they've patched the DRM out of it ( even the less draconian implementation is a step in the wrong direction ).

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Don't think I will be.. I think the concept is cool but just can't see myself getting sucked into it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
No.

1. Uses SecuROM for the Windows version, and I have heard the company is busy developing SecuROM for Mac OS X as well. I don't want a game to mess up my system.
2. It's not really a Mac version nor a Mac port, it's a Windows version squeezed through Cider, meaning it will run extremely poorly.
3. Cider doesn't seem to support GMA950 (or at least Spore), meaning all intel Mac minis and pre-latest revision of MacBooks won't be able to run it.

Spore does look like a nice game, but I have no choice to pass on it.

I was so excited about this game until I read some things about the DMR. Pretty awful and draconian stuff. I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this, and every game EA puts out, until they stop treating their customers like criminals.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I was so excited about this game until I read some things about the DMR. Pretty awful and draconian stuff. I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this, and every game EA puts out, until they stop treating their customers like criminals.
What's DMR? :p

Also, while I'm not a fan of DRM, I understand their desire to protect their content. Honestly, EA chose a stupid way to do it, but not stupid enough to prevent the game from being worth the money the game costs.

Also, regarding the game being Ciderized - if how the Creature Creator runs under OS X is any indication, I'll have no issues running the full game come release time. :)

Beat w/ Stick

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
im getting it like 15 seconds after it comes out, and im definitely playing it on windows. first. i say firt because i know windows is better for gaming but i will install it on osx eventually because vista takes SOOOOOO much longer than osx to get startup to a point where your'e logged in and all your startup programs are in the background. plus creature creator ran fine in osx.
btw: getting regular, not galactic edition. im dont want a poster or a few dvds, id be too busy PLAYING SPORE to care about them :)

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
What's DMR? :p

Also, while I'm not a fan of DRM, I understand their desire to protect their content. Honestly, EA chose a stupid way to do it, but not stupid enough to prevent the game from being worth the money the game costs.

oops, right, there's the dsylexia kicking in. ;)

Anyway, the money isn't the issue for me. The point is that they will do things like only allow 3 total activations (and an OS reinstall counts towards that!) and bury files on your computer that you don't know about and can't get rid of. I'm just not opening up my computer to whatever crap they want to put on, and I don't care how cool the game is. See this discussion for some more information.

polar-blair

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2008
Yes, I pre ordered it of amazon a couple of days ago, I cant wait for it to come out. I never knew all this stuff that windows will still run the same game better than OSX, I have XP installed via VMware Fusion so Ill install them on both see if there is a difference.

Not long Now !!!!

kahine

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
Yes, I pre ordered it of amazon a couple of days ago, I cant wait for it to come out. I never knew all this stuff that windows will still run the same game better than OSX, I have XP installed via VMware Fusion so Ill install them on both see if there is a difference.

Not long Now !!!!

Don't even attempt it under Fusion , Fusion is great for business apps - gaming though no - they are talking about in boot camp - not in emulated Windows - big difference

lindstothek

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2008
I just found out my friend pre-ordered this for me as a birthday present, and I have no idea if I'm even going be able to use it. I'm new to this forum and hope you guys can help me out.

I bought my Mac in July 2007, and am still running Tiger, haven't upgraded to Leopard yet. I know that if I wanted to play this game on the Mac I'd have to. However, I've also read on the system requirements that the game won't work on pre-2008 macs. Am I out of luck on this one? Here are my mac stats:

2.16 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
120 HD
1GB Memory

I have been meaning to upgrade to Leopard for quite sometime but just haven't gotten around to it. This would give me the extra push I need I guess, but I hate to buy it, upgrade, get the game, and the be disappointed that it STILL doesn't work.

My big concern are the graphics. I read that the GMA 950 chip set won't work?

Anyway, will I be able to play? Or should I tell my friend to cancel my birthday gift, which I'd feel really bad about.

nintendude

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2008
NY
I just found out my friend pre-ordered this for me as a birthday present, and I have no idea if I'm even going be able to use it. I'm new to this forum and hope you guys can help me out.

I bought my Mac in July 2007, and am still running Tiger, haven't upgraded to Leopard yet. I know that if I wanted to play this game on the Mac I'd have to. However, I've also read on the system requirements that the game won't work on pre-2008 macs. Am I out of luck on this one? Here are my mac stats:

2.16 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
120 HD
1GB Memory

I have been meaning to upgrade to Leopard for quite sometime but just haven't gotten around to it. This would give me the extra push I need I guess, but I hate to buy it, upgrade, get the game, and the be disappointed that it STILL doesn't work.

My big concern are the graphics. I read that the GMA 950 chip set won't work?

Anyway, will I be able to play? Or should I tell my friend to cancel my birthday gift, which I'd feel really bad about.

The GMA 950 graphics card wont work if you are playing on Mac OS X. If you are playing on Windows through Boot Camp, the GMA 950 will work.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
oops, right, there's the dsylexia kicking in. ;)

Anyway, the money isn't the issue for me. The point is that they will do things like only allow 3 total activations (and an OS reinstall counts towards that!) and bury files on your computer that you don't know about and can't get rid of. I'm just not opening up my computer to whatever crap they want to put on, and I don't care how cool the game is. See this discussion for some more information.
I understand that, but I do most of my gaming under Windows (sans a few games like WoW, Starcraft, Halo, Defcon and such) and having SecuROM on there doesn't bother me. And there are ways to get around the install limit, that, while not legal, are certainly accessible. If I didn't know about the limits or was unable to deal with them I'd not even think about the game, but because I can, I will.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
If I didn't know about the limits or was unable to deal with them I'd not even think about the game, but because I can, I will.

If you didn't know about the limits you wouldn't think about the game...? :confused:

Anyway, I guess I'll just say good for you if you're comfortable circumventing the SecuROM, but personally, I'll be taking my money to products that don't require me to jump through hoops to use my own software as I see fit (for personal use of course).

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Sorry, that was more towards the part about 'if I were unable to deal with it.' :)

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
Don't think I will be.. I think the concept is cool but just can't see myself getting sucked into it.

Same here. All the ideas in the game sound brilliant, but I think I would get bored fairly quickly. I was the same with The Sims and all of these types of game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.