PDA

View Full Version : New models of Zune - iPod killers for sure

Toe
Sep 8, 2008, 05:09 PM
I was just reading this story on the new Zunes (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-takes-another-stab-apples/story.aspx?guid=%7B2BE67078-2B3A-48EC-A87B-6788C85592EF%7D&dist=msr_1), and the call-out quote just sums it up so perfectly:

'We're trying to make this thing more alive.'
Adam Sohn, Microsoft

And why is it that every time Apple is about to come out with new iPods, Microsoft updates the Zune to be more like the current generation? Are they really that blind? Maybe the Zune is just a deliberate write-off for them or something...

Eidorian
Sep 8, 2008, 05:12 PM
Software for OS X please...

Not that I can't do it on my Windows tower but really.

Come on, come on!

Sep 8, 2008, 05:14 PM
And we care about Zunes, why?

-superhamster

BoyBach
Sep 8, 2008, 05:16 PM

Because competition is good. (Allegedly)

Toe
Sep 8, 2008, 05:19 PM

'cause before you know it, Microsoft is going to make it "more alive." :rolleyes:

It's already obviously better because all three people who have them can share music with each other from Zune to Zune. And now they have models at 120 GB and they are even coming out with an App Sto-- I mean "Marketplace."

calculus
Sep 8, 2008, 05:22 PM

I entered a competition once, I didn't win...

Sep 8, 2008, 05:23 PM
I personally find that creepy. What if someone hacks into your Zune and steals your music or plants a bug. While, you may think I'm crazy because I am an iPod Touch user which could have the same issue, we both know Apple is WAY MORE SECURE than Microsoft is or EVER WILL BE!

mkrishnan
Sep 8, 2008, 05:26 PM
'cause before you know it, Microsoft is going to make it "more alive." :rolleyes:

This isn't one of those things where they introduce a whole new line of music players, with a really trendy name, start doing market testing, and then jump out from the bushes and yell, "Fooled you!!! That's a Zune in your hands!!!" is it?

Cuz, you know, that would be very 1980's Folgers.... :o

Sep 8, 2008, 05:49 PM
Hey, Thanks A lot. Now I have that stupid Folgers Coffee jingle stuck in my head!

:p:p:p:p:p

-superhamster

gnasher729
Sep 8, 2008, 05:53 PM
'We're trying to make this thing more alive.'
Adam Sohn, Microsoft
Well, that sounds enthusiastic. That's more what I would expect a vet to say about a dead cat.

vandlism
Sep 8, 2008, 06:36 PM
As with any product, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. However these new Zunes have a few new features that I bet any iPod owner would like to have.

wireless syncing
personalized radio stations
media sharing
music downloads

iPod touch and iPhone users have the iTunes store, but don't other iPod users want this feature? How about a personalized radio station that plays music based on what you like? Quite comparable to last.fm and Pandora. To end it all, wireless syncing can make quick updates so much easier.

zap2
Sep 8, 2008, 06:49 PM
As with any product, if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it. However these new Zunes have a few new features that I bet any iPod owner would like to have.

wireless syncing
media sharing
music downloads

iPod touch and iPhone users have the iTunes store, but don't other iPod users want this feature? How about a personalized radio station that plays music based on what you like? Quite comparable to last.fm and Pandora. To end it all, wireless syncing can make quick updates so much
easier.

Some features which some might want...personally, I'm not really feeling them. Cool, but nothing huge. Also lets see what Apple comes out with tomorrow for a better comparing of the two brands.

Glad MS is trying!

Eidorian
Sep 8, 2008, 08:55 PM
I want the FM tuner to listen to NPR live.

*hangs head in shame*

Toe
Sep 8, 2008, 09:27 PM
I want the FM tuner to listen to NPR live.

*hangs head in shame*

On that point, I will have to say... the shame should not be yours, but rather Apple's. How difficult is it to put an FM crystal in an iPod?

FWIW, you can get a tiny, portable FM radio for like $5. While that's a nice workaround to the iPod not having one, it just points out how stupid (or is it just greedy?) Apple is being by not including it.

Sun Baked
Sep 8, 2008, 09:33 PM

But entering a 3 legged horse into this horse race could be considered a little pathetic.

Unless the race if for the most expensive horse meat at the Mexican slaughterhouse next week.

thomahawk
Sep 8, 2008, 09:59 PM
you know i enjoy zunes they have big screens and big harddrives. and prices that are a much less than ipod videos.

problem is that they have no OS X Software!! :(
at least give us that microsoft!!!

wheelhot
Sep 8, 2008, 10:13 PM
Yeah, it all sounds cool and fun sharing musics and everything until someone decided to use that media to transfer viruses. :rolleyes:

ttech10
Sep 8, 2008, 10:30 PM

wireless syncing
media sharing
music downloads

iPod touch and iPhone users have the iTunes store, but don't other iPod users want this feature? How about a personalized radio station that plays music based on what you like? Quite comparable to last.fm and Pandora. To end it all, wireless syncing can make quick updates so much easier.

I'd like wireless syncing, but music downloads are what the iTunes Store is for... isn't it?

Michael CM1
Sep 8, 2008, 10:37 PM
This isn't one of those things where they introduce a whole new line of music players, with a really trendy name, start doing market testing, and then jump out from the bushes and yell, "Fooled you!!! That's a Zune in your hands!!!" is it?

Cuz, you know, that would be very 1980's Folgers.... :o

Maybe they could call the device an "iPod Mojave" in tests. Then yell "just kidding! It's a Microsoft Zune!" Epic fail.

thomahawk
Sep 8, 2008, 10:46 PM
Yeah, it all sounds cool and fun sharing musics and everything until someone decided to use that media to transfer viruses. :rolleyes:

lmao thatd be interesting, a good idea, microsoft should watch out for that.
acutally there are ways to embed viruses in mp3's so i dont know now...

Moriarty
Sep 8, 2008, 11:22 PM
Tell me this: Do Zunes work with iTunes? Can you just drag and drop everything over from iTunes onto a Zune and it's all automatically organised like it is on the iPod? Is the Zune Mac compatible? Does it work with iTunes Store purchased items?

Nope.... AFAIK it's tied to Windows and Windows Media Player.

Plus, Microsoft haven't even released the Zune in New Zealand, so there's no iPod killing going on here :p. A 16GB Nano is next on my shopping list, unless they somehow make the iPod Classic more tempting (the capacity is nice, but the price isn't, and it's bigger, heavier, slower, and more fragile).

The iPod lives, and the Zune either dies or survives in it's little minority niche. The iPod is too big to kill.

JNB
Sep 8, 2008, 11:23 PM
A "more alive" Zune? What's that mean: in addition to squirt, it will also squirm?

gusapple
Sep 8, 2008, 11:26 PM
I think Microsoft likes to have one day where they can be happy before their new music player is used as toilet paper in Redmond.

Beric
Sep 8, 2008, 11:45 PM
Some features which some might want...personally, I'm not really feeling them. Cool, but nothing huge. Also lets see what Apple comes out with tomorrow for a better comparing of the two brands.

Glad MS is trying!

That's my position exactly.

MowingDevil
Sep 9, 2008, 01:16 AM
On that point, I will have to say... the shame should not be yours, but rather Apple's. How difficult is it to put an FM crystal in an iPod?

FWIW, you can get a tiny, portable FM radio for like $5. While that's a nice workaround to the iPod not having one, it just points out how stupid (or is it just greedy?) Apple is being by not including it.

Simple, Apple knows FM radio is lame & a dying platform

FM radio=floppy discs

Why bother. People get iPods BECAUSE they're sick of FM radio.
Radio plays the same 5 songs over & over, loaded w/ commercials & useless DJ babble. Its over for radio.

Eidorian
Sep 9, 2008, 01:20 AM

FM radio=floppy discs

Radio plays the same 5 songs over & over, loaded w/ commercials & useless DJ babble. Its over for radio.lol wut?

I live on public radio when my music gets repetitive. Not to mention the local talk station switched to FM as well. And listening to the news on FM...

thomahawk
Sep 9, 2008, 01:22 AM

FM radio=floppy discs

Radio plays the same 5 songs over & over, loaded w/ commercials & useless DJ babble. Its over for radio.

if it werent for radio and your in a hurricane. wtf are you going to do then? hmmmm? radios may be old technology but it can save lives and people. not only that if there is a crisis and TV and calbe is down. the radios are the only ones who can distribute informaiton on what to do

iCantwait
Sep 9, 2008, 05:16 AM
if it werent for radio and your in a hurricane. wtf are you going to do then? hmmmm? radios may be old technology but it can save lives and people. not only that if there is a crisis and TV and calbe is down. the radios are the only ones who can distribute informaiton on what to do

I don't need weather reports from a zune to save my life, I have the weather app on my iPhone!!

SactoGuy18
Sep 9, 2008, 07:11 AM
I think people shouldn't dismiss the Zune so easily. I've played with a 2G Zune (8 GB flash memory) and the hardware is actually quite good. The only downside was that the software is nowhere as neatly integrated as iTunes is.

Hopefully, the new Zune 3.0 software will have vastly improved integration to make file management on the player much easier.

MowingDevil
Sep 9, 2008, 07:15 AM
lol wut?

I live on public radio when my music gets repetitive. Not to mention the local talk station switched to FM as well. And listening to the news on FM...

Ya well thats because you live in Mexico City.
j/k :D

Listen, are you guys for real?!? lol I'm not saying radio doesn't serve a purpose...but c'mon .....Apple should incorporate radio tuners into iPods so you guys don't need actual RADIOS during a crisis? Get a grip.

When I said radios are a thing of the past I was talking in terms of WHERE PEOPLE GET THEIR MUSIC FROM. This whole thread was about iPods & Zunes...ie music. Who cares if Zunes can PURCHASE songs from a radio station....unless you're trapped in a car w/o an iPod or CYRIUS satelite radio, who even listens to COMMERCIAL RADIO anymore? Radio used to be the be all end all....it used to break bands....who would go on to have huge hit records. Not anymore. No one cares about what the radio has to say about music, they have no credibility and are only there to sell commercials. Do you want to have commercials on your iPod next? You'll get it if you have radio on there. Radio stations aren't in the music business they're in the COMMERCIAL business. They'll only play music they think will keep the listener from turning the dial JUST so they can play you more commercials, get higher ratings & charge more to corporations to play their ads. End of story with radio. They'll tell you *what* you'll hear and *when* you'll hear it!

The whole point of an iPod is to have it YOUR way.

*sigh*
end of rant
:cool:

notjustjay
Sep 9, 2008, 09:42 AM
Uh, that's SIRIUS, by the way.

:p

superhamster: "... the best part of waking up... " :D

Toe
Sep 9, 2008, 10:34 AM
When I said radios are a thing of the past I was talking in terms of WHERE PEOPLE GET THEIR MUSIC FROM.
I listen to the radio all the time... and I never listen to music on the radio. I agree that commercial music radio is a horrible experience. From what I can tell, an hour of commercial music radio is 20 minutes of DJs blathering awful mindless banter, 30 minutes of ads, and 10 minutes of lame music.

I listen to my local NPR radio station, and it is absolutely fascinating. And no, a podcast cannot replicate it, because much of what they play is live interviews where local people call in with questions for the interviewee. Much else of what they play is very timely, and listening to it later would be out of sync with current events.

Anyway the point is... just because what you listen to is music does not mean that all listening is music. The programming on good NPR stations is so fascinating, so engaging, that if you are not familiar with it... you have a great realm of discovery awaiting you.

Apple Ink
Sep 9, 2008, 10:40 AM
NaCl

http://www.cosmiclight.com/imagegalleries/images/nacl.jpg