PDA

View Full Version : Grab a 160GB Classic while you still can!

mcdj
Sep 9, 2008, 12:21 PM
Looks like they've dumped it from the line. Glad I got one.

Cask
Sep 9, 2008, 12:30 PM
This is disappointing, the Nano get's all the cool updates but not for the classic, oh well. Guess I won't be selling mine after all.

Pope Jawn Pawl
Sep 9, 2008, 12:30 PM
Looks like they've dumped it from the line. Glad I got one.

Another stupid move by Apple.

hexonxonx
Sep 9, 2008, 12:31 PM
Another stupid move by Apple.

Agreed. I don't need a smaller iPod, 160GB is not enough storage for me as it is.

t0mat0
Sep 9, 2008, 12:32 PM
Might be a nice investment. Same goes with a square nano.

Pope Jawn Pawl
Sep 9, 2008, 12:34 PM
Looks like my next PMP will be an Archos, and the new line looks awesome.

nokiauk
Sep 9, 2008, 12:56 PM
Agreed. I don't need a smaller iPod, 160GB is not enough storage for me as it is.

How not, I consider myself to have a reasonably large music collection and I can't fill my 30gb Ipod

Unless yours is full of HD video.

HiFiGuy528
Sep 9, 2008, 01:08 PM
WTF! I want my money back. The event sucked!

ChrisBrightwell
Sep 9, 2008, 01:13 PM
How not, I consider myself to have a reasonably large music collection and I can't fill my 30gb Ipod

... then you don't have a "reasonably large" collection, by most standards.

elmateo487
Sep 9, 2008, 01:16 PM
Does anyone know if there is anything different with the new iPod concerning the menus and such? Not just the fact that they botched up the hard drive capacity?

With 18000 songs im screwed... if the ipod is just the same as the 160's ill just get a 160.

Any ideas?

ucfgrad93
Sep 9, 2008, 01:16 PM
With the reduction in space from 160 to 120GB does anyone else feel that the iPod Classic doesn't have very long left. I think it will be discontinued by this time next year.

Bobioden
Sep 9, 2008, 01:21 PM
WTF! I want my money back. The event sucked!

You mean your .02 cents?

phairphan
Sep 9, 2008, 01:27 PM
Yeah, I agree ucfgrad93. I think the writing is on the wall for the Classic. I believe this is the first contraction in size for an iPod line.

Teej guy
Sep 9, 2008, 01:40 PM
If they remove the classic from their line, they remove any need for me to have an iPod.

JWest
Sep 9, 2008, 01:51 PM
If they remove the classic from their line, they remove any need for me to have an iPod.

And that's what M$ is counting on for Zune sales :p

I can't believe Apple didn't update the classic... I was counting on a new classic. My touch suffered water damage, and I've been in the market for a new 'pod, but it looks like I may have to look to M$ to fill that need.

JG271
Sep 9, 2008, 01:54 PM
With the reduction in space from 160 to 120GB does anyone else feel that the iPod Classic doesn't have very long left. I think it will be discontinued by this time next year.

Maybe, but what possibly could they replace it with? The flash chips in the nano and touch are too expensive for a large capacity ipod.

hexonxonx
Sep 9, 2008, 01:54 PM

Even my old 30GB iPod Photo that I bought in 2004 was too small. I had to leave off allot of music. You must have a very small collection, seriously.

I've purchased complete collections by bands such as Bob Dylan, U2, Depeche Mode and Led Zeppelin.

I have a 1TB drive on my Mac Pro that is just about filled. I bought a second 1TB drive last night to start filling up.

ashxf
Sep 9, 2008, 02:23 PM
I was watching the updating streams of the event and as soon as Jobs said the 160 was a goner, I hit eBay and bought one. I'll be honest, I'm a tad pissed right now. I waited 5 months for this event just t be sure I wouldn't be missing a capacity upgrade or price reduction on the 160s, and what i get instead is a rainbow of pretty colored nanos and news that the player I waited 5 months to buy is being discontinued.

Furthermore, I had been watching ebay for a while and I know I could have gotten one for cheaper than I did, but i didn't want to risk the whole world flooding ebay to snatch up what 160s are left, leaving me with none. In all fairness, I paid about what I would have for a refurbished one from Apple. Still, it stings a bit.

So I'm glad I got one today.

And I'm a bit miffed at the turn of events from Apple.

My cousin will be glad about the Touch though. She wanted one for her birthday a month ago and I persuaded her to wait until today for the updates. She can get one now.

---Ashley

pryan67
Sep 9, 2008, 02:44 PM
And that's what M$ is counting on for Zune sales :p

I can't believe Apple didn't update the classic... I was counting on a new classic. My touch suffered water damage, and I've been in the market for a new 'pod, but it looks like I may have to look to M$ to fill that need.

same here...my old iPod got into a fight with a lawnmower...and I waited and waited for today...

now they're DROPPING capacity?

at least they dropped the price a LITTLE

but the zune is looking better now...although I HATE giving any money to mafiasoft

wavoka
Sep 9, 2008, 02:46 PM
This was a stupid move by Apple. I had been waiting to see if there was going to be a bump up in capacity on the Classic. Instead they went the opposite way. We already have an 8gb Nano that the wife keeps in her car and I have one of the first gen 30gb Zunes, bought it after my Zen Vision:M died, and was looking to upgrade to the Classic.

Sorry but 120gb isn't enough since I currently have just over 140gb of stuff I would like to store and carry with me.

alchocoholic
Sep 9, 2008, 02:54 PM
I'm bummed out as well... I waited months to get an ipod classic, hoping they'd increase capacity but now it's 40gb less! :( Such a major disappointment! Guess i better hurry to the stores within the next few days to get the last of the 160gb versions. What were they thinking?!

yrsonicdeath
Sep 9, 2008, 02:54 PM
It's a shame for those who use lossless formats to rip audio.

TSquares
Sep 9, 2008, 02:57 PM
Does anyone know if there is anything different with the new iPod concerning the menus and such? Not just the fact that they botched up the hard drive capacity?

With 18000 songs im screwed... if the ipod is just the same as the 160's ill just get a 160.

Any ideas?

Yes. At least there's one thing different. I saw in the Apple store that Genius is added to the Classic too.

But it's the ridiculous that they kept the old interface.

pryan67
Sep 9, 2008, 03:01 PM
I'm wondering though....

will the retail outlets closeout the 160s? will they drop in price?

cualexander
Sep 9, 2008, 03:18 PM
Come on people. Steve is adopting Bill's philosophy on memory.

"640k ought to be enough for anyone"
-Bill Gates

Is the 120gig the same price as the 160? If so thats just really dumb.

saxman
Sep 9, 2008, 03:20 PM
I'm disappointed they dropped the 160. I may have to get one while they are still in stock. It's just enough to hold all of my library

Sojourn
Sep 9, 2008, 03:21 PM
With so many products in their arsenal now, Apple may be looking to focus on their bestsellers. They've said before that the Nano is the bestselling MP3 player out there, so it makes sense that they'd focus heavily on that. Many people I've talked to have said that 160 GB is far too much space for them, and that the 80 GB was more than enough in many cases. It's possible that Apple's sales numbers reflected this, as well, and that they simply weren't selling enough to justify manufacturing both versions.

None of us can know for certain, of course, especially since Steve didn't go into a sales comparison between the two, but it stands to reason that if the higher-end model wasn't moving enough units, that they would choose to scrap it, and put the money elsewhere.

Take care,
Sojourn

brn2ski00
Sep 9, 2008, 03:24 PM
I was watching the updating streams of the event and as soon as Jobs said the 160 was a goner, I hit eBay and bought one. I'll be honest, I'm a tad pissed right now. I waited 5 months for this event just t be sure I wouldn't be missing a capacity upgrade or price reduction on the 160s, and what i get instead is a rainbow of pretty colored nanos and news that the player I waited 5 months to buy is being discontinued.

Furthermore, I had been watching ebay for a while and I know I could have gotten one for cheaper than I did, but i didn't want to risk the whole world flooding ebay to snatch up what 160s are left, leaving me with none. In all fairness, I paid about what I would have for a refurbished one from Apple. Still, it stings a bit.

So I'm glad I got one today.

And I'm a bit miffed at the turn of events from Apple.

My cousin will be glad about the Touch though. She wanted one for her birthday a month ago and I persuaded her to wait until today for the updates. She can get one now.

---Ashley

Why eBay? I would have just bought one from Apple's refurb store.

brn2ski00
Sep 9, 2008, 03:25 PM
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/9154002/wo/Xd1q0zvCTHGt3PTSJKE1XOfBsVN/2.0.0.26.9.5.7.1.3.1.1

TSquares
Sep 9, 2008, 03:26 PM
With so many products in their arsenal now, Apple may be looking to focus on their bestsellers. They've said before that the Nano is the bestselling MP3 player out there, so it makes sense that they'd focus heavily on that. Many people I've talked to have said that 160 GB is far too much space for them, and that the 80 GB was more than enough in many cases. It's possible that Apple's sales numbers reflected this, as well, and that they simply weren't selling enough to justify manufacturing both versions.

None of us can know for certain, of course, especially since Steve didn't go into a sales comparison between the two, but it stands to reason that if the higher-end model wasn't moving enough units, that they would choose to scrap it, and put the money elsewhere.

Take care,
Sojourn

They are definitely aiming at the mainstream. For 95% of the potential buyers, 16GB or even 8GB is enough. That's why the Nano got all these improvements and the Classic got none, except for Genius.

They are forgetting about the people who made the iPod such a succes though. People with enormous music collections. I think that's being not very loyal to your best customers.

DaftUnion
Sep 9, 2008, 03:34 PM
Looking on the somewhat "bright" side, just think that if they don't discontinue the iPod classic next year, maybe the standard iPod classic will be 160gb at $249. Eh?

Raptura
Sep 9, 2008, 03:58 PM
Next year, at this time, Apple will probably drop the Classic all together.

Karpfish
Sep 9, 2008, 04:12 PM
Honestly, people here need to realize that Apple is a business, not a charity out there to please every single person. I'd say that people who need more than 120GB are <1% of iPod buyers. If you owned a business would you keep a product available for that small a market? I didn't think so. Think people.

mandoman
Sep 9, 2008, 04:14 PM
It could be that there just aren't bigger HDD sizes to put in, so the only options they had were to drop prices on the 80/160, or introduce the 120gb at the old 80gb price. Apple obviously chose the later.

I'm bummed, though, I may have to grab a 160gb while they are still available. The touch is tempting too. Argh, these decisions are tough!

Dragn
Sep 9, 2008, 04:15 PM
Or they release a 240gig Classic in Spring '09 when the larger drives are available....makes sense to me. And in the meantime they can get lots of ppl to snap up all the remaining 160s.

Me, I was looking for the Classic 80 prior to the announcement so I can get a 120 for just a bit more. Will only hold a portion of my collection, but that's enough for me - I don't need my entire collection with me at all times.

mandoman
Sep 9, 2008, 04:19 PM
Next year, at this time, Apple will probably drop the Classic all together.

This will depend on how much flash prices drop next year. There will always be a market for a high capacity player, so until cheap 128gb+ flash becomes available, don't expect hdd based ipods to be dropped.

On the other hand, it really looks like Apple is vesting everything into the itouch/iphone due to what I'm sure is a highly lucrative App store, so this may very well be the last ipod classic update...

bilbo--baggins
Sep 9, 2008, 04:27 PM
Disappointing they dropped the 160GB. I dropped my 160GB iPod last week, fortunately it survived, but I would have been considerably more concerned if I was unable to get a replacement. Unfortunately I cannot really justify getting a spare 160GB iPod while stocks last as a just in case.

My theory is that Apple want to close the gap between flash based iPods and hard drive based, to justify dropping hard drive iPods altogether (probably next September).

I have a moderate sized collection of music that's part Apple Lossless and part AAC, and I now have a couple of GB's free on my iPod. The music I can fit on my 16GB iPhone is very limiting, only about 1500 songs, and it feels like it repeats the same songs frequently. I keep my iPod Classic in my car most of the time, and it means I have a wide range of music that doesn't get repeated regularly. I don't keep video on my iPod - you really would need a hard drive based iPod Touch for storing a worthwhile amount of video with a reasonable sized screen.

yrsonicdeath
Sep 10, 2008, 07:31 AM
I don't need my entire collection with me at all times.

I guess I don't either, but it sure would be nice.

ashxf
Sep 10, 2008, 08:58 AM
Why eBay? I would have just bought one from Apple's refurb store.

Because from eBay i got one still sealed in the box instead of a refurbished one at the same price.

---Ashley

Scepticalscribe
Sep 10, 2008, 09:12 AM
It is nice to see a thread of classic fans; so much attention has been given to the more fashionable models of Apple's iPod line-up that I was beginning to despair of anyone showing an interest in the classic.

I've a two year old 30GB that is occasionally showing its age, and have been waiting for this to upgrade. A downgrade is unfortunate. Still, as yet, undecided, but thinking hard.

A poster on another thread argued that the format of the "new" upgraded/downgraded 120GB iPod classic might have implications for an upgrade of the MBA.

Around a year ago, I received an email from Apple, requesting my participation in a survey. They were testing (I suspect) the proverbial water for what consumers desired in a new iPod type device. Most of the questions concerned preferences in the video area, and seemed strongly slanted in that direction. I suspect that I was one of a rather tiny minority who stressed my complete preference for the audio functions of the iPod over any video additions.
Cheers

yrsonicdeath
Sep 10, 2008, 09:19 AM
I was planning on buying a 160gb classic in about a month or so. I'm not sure I can afford to get one right now, but I'm in the process of converting my entire music collection to ALAC and I've already just about filled my 80gb classic. I wonder what the prospects will be like getting a 160gb one in a month or two.

chedda
Sep 10, 2008, 09:38 AM
I think the larger model may only be dropped temporarily and a new 240 GB version will be available later. I know his Steveness wants to push the touch however the definition of classic transcends time so it won't ever be dropped. I have no need for apps, extras or video just like others i need a large portable music player plus you can allow disk use on the classic which is lacking in everything else apart from shuffle & nano. I like to use the remote or my hands without looking at the unit which is nearly impossible for the touch. I'm gonna hang on for a bit and see if the 240 turns up what does everyone else think ?

yrsonicdeath
Sep 10, 2008, 10:22 AM
I think the larger model may only be dropped temporarily and a new 240 GB version will be available later. I know his Steveness wants to push the touch however the definition of classic transcends time so it won't ever be dropped. I have no need for apps, extras or video just like others i need a large portable music player plus you can allow disk use on the classic which is lacking in everything else apart from shuffle & nano. I like to use the remote or my hands without looking at the unit which is nearly impossible for the touch. I'm gonna hang on for a bit and see if the 240 turns up what does everyone else think ?

I'm pretty sure over time as hard drives get cheaper and cheaper an ipod of comparable size should surface again, but who knows how long that will take, and it may be a touch for all we know. I personally love the classic. I have an iPhone which I use for browsing the web, GPS, apps, etc. I have a classic because of it's simplicity and ability to hold my entire music library in a high bitrate/lossless format. I am really trying to figure out what to do in this situation myself.

ucfgrad93
Sep 10, 2008, 10:32 AM
I was planning on buying a 160gb classic in about a month or so. I'm not sure I can afford to get one right now, but I'm in the process of converting my entire music collection to ALAC and I've already just about filled my 80gb classic. I wonder what the prospects will be like getting a 160gb one in a month or two.

If you really want one, I'd try for it now rather than later.

sushi
Sep 10, 2008, 10:37 AM
Agree.

I bet they go up in price if Apple doesn't release a 240GB version in the future.

yrsonicdeath
Sep 10, 2008, 10:37 AM

Yes, I'm trying to come to grips with that and seeing if I can afford it. :(

chedda
Sep 10, 2008, 11:12 AM
I am also in about three minds now as i try to recall Steve's exact wording he said they were dropping the larger model ? I'm sure he would have said if the larger one was coming ? Or would that have had a negative effect on the touch ? The rest of the keynote was easily readable and transparent. I understand that the genius thing is to collate music information from everyone. I also understand the app store is a good business model but doesn't include the classic. Sheesh apple your loyal users would have liked a 240 classic and some mac news keep the touch until it expands.

edit :Another theory i just realised is that when deciphering apple decisions is they are purely based on business decisions and not whims. Hence perhaps the 160 Gb didn't clear very well with the back to school promo ? They still have too many left so this larger classic omission is to clear the old stock and cause some panic buying ? Plus the timing was not quite perfect with the 240 drive just being released. The more i think about it the more sure i am they will be quietly updated in the new year, i realise however they are moving to flash based systems but how long and how expensive would a 240 Gb flash classic be ?

MacBass
Sep 10, 2008, 03:33 PM

Nay, I say. Podcasts? Decent quality music files? A meager movie collection? A desire to have your entire photo library with you? All 3 of those force me to uncheck various items on my 80 GB Classic. My iPhoto Library alone is pushing past 30 GB!

macsForLife
Sep 10, 2008, 07:56 PM
I know its depressing, but I think its a forgone conclusion that the 240 will come out soon. There are probably supply issues, because Microsoft is also probably trying to grab them for a 240gb zune. And remember when the 4th gen was distilled to just the 30gb? That was also only a temporary solution, so its happened before, I think we just need to stay positive.

chedda
Sep 11, 2008, 07:30 AM
I know its depressing, but I think its a forgone conclusion that the 240 will come out soon. There are probably supply issues, because Microsoft is also probably trying to grab them for a 240gb zune. And remember when the 4th gen was distilled to just the 30gb? That was also only a temporary solution, so its happened before, I think we just need to stay positive.

This is possible however he did say it was dropped which irks me he could have said the 240 would follow. i like others here just need an ipod for audio its beauty is just that imho. I mean who needs, photos, video, extras, contacts etc on such a small screen ? They really should make an audiophile version with superior sound quality and a simple black & white dot matrix screen. Really less is better just perfect the audio no bells and whistles no all singing and dancing wifi bluetooth etc. Simplicity wins although in this changing world people are starting to demand everything even if they rarely need it. We all like to dream about what if i travel i will need gps what if im stuck in an elevator and need to watch a film. What if i bump into someone and want to show them last christmas holiday photos i think you are starting to get my drift. The reality is like others we just want music.

yrsonicdeath
Sep 11, 2008, 07:38 AM
This is possible however he did say it was dropped which irks me he could have said the 240 would follow. i like others here just need an ipod for audio its beauty is just that imho. I mean who needs, photos, video, extras, contacts etc on such a small screen ? They really should make an audiophile version with superior sound quality and a simple black & white dot matrix screen. Really less is better just perfect the audio no bells and whistles no all singing and dancing wifi bluetooth etc. Simplicity wins although in this changing world people are starting to demand everything even if they rarely need it. We all like to dream about what if i travel i will need gps what if im stuck in an elevator and need to watch a film. What if i bump into someone and want to show them last christmas holiday photos i think you are starting to get my drift. The reality is like others we just want music.

Exactly. I have an iPhone which I can do these things. I want a huge capacity ipod so I can bring my entire music collection in a lossless format in the car, to work, etc. I guess I'll just have to hope for the time being because I can't afford a 160gb at this point.