PDA

View Full Version : nike+ iPod touch (old)

Jasonbot
Sep 9, 2008, 01:54 PM
Do you think that the nike+ipod sports kit will be compatible with the old iPod touch now that the new ones have this fancy feature? I mean with using the dongle of course. It would suck if apple forgot about us old touch users now wouldn't it!

Sep 9, 2008, 05:34 PM
I'll like to know this also.

Anyone?

4DThinker
Sep 9, 2008, 05:50 PM
I've got the 2.1 software on my Touch now, and it didn't install the Nike app. If the Nike app can be downloaded from the App store then the Nike kit with iPod adapter should allow it to work. Time will tell.

4D

WildCowboy
Sep 9, 2008, 05:57 PM
Gizmodo has confirmed (http://gizmodo.com/5047450/confirmed-nike%252B-only-works-with-2nd-gen-ipod-touch-not-iphone-or-1st-gen-itouch) that it only works with the new iPod touch. The old iPod touch and both iPhone generations are not compatible. And they say that "nothing will happen" if you plug the dongle into an unsupported device.

4DThinker
Sep 9, 2008, 06:00 PM
Anyone know what wireless technology the Nike thing uses? If it's bluetooth, then that opens up some significant new potential for the new Touch.

WildCowboy
Sep 9, 2008, 06:04 PM
It uses a 2.4 GHz radio frequency similar to Bluetooth, but it's a proprietary protocol.

4DThinker
Sep 9, 2008, 06:07 PM
Thanks, WC. I looked it up after I posted and although it's 2.4ghz they've made sure it won't interfere with bluetooth, wifi, cell phones, or anything else using that frequency range.

twoodcc
Sep 9, 2008, 06:10 PM
aww man, i was really hoping that it would work. i'm very disappointed that it doesn't

Jasonbot
Sep 9, 2008, 11:03 PM
über sadness :( Maybe they'll release a nike+ app later that allows us this luxury. Because AFAIK on 2.0 a little box comes up with a 'this is unsupported' message. Interesting if 'nothing happens' when plugging it in now.

kjryan
Sep 10, 2008, 11:41 AM
Plugging my nike+ dongle into my 2.1 updated touch just brings up a message that says "This accessory is not supported by this iPod". No love for the 1st gen I guess.