PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of those Store links?

cv01
Sep 9, 2008, 03:37 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/nq9xq8.png

Where is the option to turn those link arrows off in iTunes 8?

swiftaw
Sep 9, 2008, 03:38 PM
I looked, couldn't find a way.

PYR0M310N
Sep 9, 2008, 03:41 PM
First thing I noticed when I went back to list view (which isn't even list view anymore, not sure what the obsession with album artwork is).
They are so ugly and I don't purchase iTunes music, so I don't want to have links everywhere to the store.

*edit* Just saw that you can remove the artwork in list view in view menu

MidiMonk
Sep 9, 2008, 03:41 PM
Yeah, I cannot find a way either, this must be a "feature" of the moronic genius in itunes.

Sky Blue
Sep 9, 2008, 03:44 PM
Yup, I want to remove these suckers too :mad:

cv01
Sep 9, 2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I cannot find a way either, this must be a "feature" of the moronic genius in itunes.

I have genius turned off and they still show up...
There was an option to disable them in 7.7. :mad:

rockstarjoe
Sep 9, 2008, 03:51 PM
Does this trick still work, at least?

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/02/terminal-tips-modify-itunes-arrow-links/

swiftaw
Sep 9, 2008, 03:54 PM
Yes, that hack still works

cv01
Sep 9, 2008, 03:54 PM
So this works with Mac OS, but what about Windows? :confused:

GGJstudios
Sep 9, 2008, 04:54 PM
http://i38.tinypic.com/nq9xq8.png
Where is the option to turn those link arrows off in iTunes 8?
Where do you see these? I don't see anything that looks like that on my iTunes.
First thing I noticed when I went back to list view (which isn't even list view anymore, not sure what the obsession with album artwork is).
List view looks exactly the same as it did in iTunes 7.7.1. I don't know what you're seeing.

tyr2
Sep 9, 2008, 05:34 PM
If you tick 'Disable: iTunes Store' in the parental preferences then the arrows go away.

However you can't browse the iTunes store then obviously. Since I rarely do I can live with turning it on manually when required.

Sharewaredemon
Sep 9, 2008, 06:25 PM
people seem to call the browser mode "list view"

it's causing a decent amount of confusion in these threads.

Sky Blue
Sep 9, 2008, 06:29 PM
people seem to call the browser mode "list view"

it's causing a decent amount of confusion in these threads.

That's what it's called.

View > As List

Sharewaredemon
Sep 9, 2008, 06:44 PM
That's what it's called.

View > As List

but the browser, under View > Show/Hide Browser

is what we are trying to remove the genre from.

DuFFy
Sep 9, 2008, 07:01 PM
anyone know how to get rid of the genre list in the "browser" in iTunes 8, cuz before i updated i had removed it somehow now i cant find an option to do it anymore. is this Apple forcing us to use genres, cuz i dont, and its annoying having it there

Sharewaredemon
Sep 9, 2008, 07:05 PM
open terminal, and paste - defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

then restart itunes.

to remove the links to the music store put - defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links -bool FALSE

DuFFy
Sep 9, 2008, 07:13 PM
open terminal, and paste - defaults write com.apple.itunes show-genre-when-browsing -bool FALSE

then restart itunes.

to remove the links to the music store put - defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-arrow-links -bool FALSE

sorry i mean for windows

Sedulous
Sep 9, 2008, 07:29 PM
Easy if you mean this:

GGJstudios
Sep 9, 2008, 07:35 PM
Easy if you mean this:
We're talking about iTunes 8. That screen is from iTunes 7.7

Sky Blue
Sep 9, 2008, 07:37 PM

No, it's not. Browser has got nothing to do with it. Look at the screenshot in the OP.

secretpact
Sep 9, 2008, 07:41 PM

I think you were trying to respond to this topic http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=559456

jasko
Sep 9, 2008, 08:31 PM

then restart itunes.

thank you.

Fiveos22
Sep 9, 2008, 10:57 PM

then restart itunes.

Yeah, thanks a ton. Can the same be applied to removing the Genius sidebar eyesore?

EDIT: for cripe's-sake, its that damn little button next to the Genius button. Gaack, iTunes is still my favorite media player, but it is becoming too much like winamp circa 2002 for me. a bit bloated and changing too often. For example, I just discovered some indecipherable "Cache" folder inside the Album Artwork folder. Previous to that I had been wondering where my 300 mg of disk space had disappeared to.

Pants Dragon
Sep 10, 2008, 02:12 AM
They are so ugly and I don't purchase iTunes music, so I don't want to have links everywhere to the store.

There's still a list view, that's the only view I use. Try clicking the triangle next to the top of the artwork column. ;)

EDIT: My bad, you figured it out already.

daneoni
Sep 10, 2008, 02:31 AM
Is there a way to get rid of genre/composer whilst in grid view?

ohmicide
Sep 10, 2008, 06:30 PM
i feel like apple just ****ed me over. new genius function is pointless, you can't hide the store button, when you double click a song outside of itunes it only adds it to the library, the new sound enhancer was on by default, and there's a new "compilations" artists on my playlist?

ortuno2k
Sep 10, 2008, 06:45 PM
i feel like apple just ****ed me over. new genius function is pointless, you can't hide the store button, when you double click a song outside of itunes it only adds it to the library, the new sound enhancer was on by default, and there's a new "compilations" artists on my playlist?

how the hell can i go back to the old itunes?!

TIME MACHINE.

Fiveos22
Sep 10, 2008, 08:39 PM
i feel like apple just ****ed me over.

Let me dissect your problems by helping you read this thread:

you can't hide the store button,

restart itunes

when you double click a song outside of itunes it only adds it to the library,

What did you expect it to do?

If you don't like it doing that, Right Click on the .mp3 .m4a file and "Get Info". From there set how you want OS X to handle you opening those files.

the new sound enhancer was on by default,

Find out how to turn it off (probably in the preferences).

and there's a new "compilations" artists on my playlist?

Go to preferences and turn that off if you don't like it (you were the one who tagged your music as a compilation, right?)

iTunes has its flaws, but not being exactly customized to YOUR PERSONAL specifications right out of the box is not a flaw. You can learn how to modify things yourself...especially since the options are built into the program.

Foxer
Sep 10, 2008, 09:25 PM
and there's a new "compilations" artists on my playlist?

That was always there when "group compilations by artist" was selected. Just toggle it and it will go away.

ohmicide
Sep 10, 2008, 09:26 PM
iTunes has its flaws, but not being exactly customized to YOUR PERSONAL specifications right out of the box is not a flaw. You can learn how to modify things yourself...especially since the options are built into the program.

oh trust me i know how to customize things myself. i liked how things were and even though i like some of the new feaures, i just don't see the need for apple to change my preferences.

GGJstudios
Sep 11, 2008, 04:21 AM
how the hell can i go back to the old itunes?!
There's a really neat thing on the internet. It's called Google. Believe it or not, you can find it at www.google.com. What a surprise! If you go to Google and type words in the search bar and then click the button that says "Search" you'll find stuff. It's magic! For example:

Search Google for "iTunes 7.7" and it brings up a list of links to websites. What's that? The second link takes you to where you download iTunes 7.7. Imagine that! :rolleyes:

ohmicide
Sep 11, 2008, 04:44 AM
There's a really neat thing on the internet. It's called Google. Believe it or not, you can find it at www.google.com. What a surprise! If you go to Google and type words in the search bar and then click the button that says "Search" you'll find stuff. It's magic! For example:

Search Google for "iTunes 7.7" and it brings up a list of links to websites. What's that? The second link takes you to where you download iTunes 7.7. Imagine that! :rolleyes:

oh sorry, i was gonna edit that out since i actually like the grid view and everything. i'll deal with the issues.

jesstech
Sep 11, 2008, 08:47 AM
when you double click a song outside of itunes it only adds it to the library
What did you expect it to do?

If you don't like it doing that, Right Click on the .mp3 .m4a file and "Get Info". From there set how you want OS X to handle you opening those files.

I think he wants music to be added to the library and then start playing immediately like it did in iTunes 7.

Personally, I prefer this new way. Previously, if you had 'Open safe files after downloading' turned on in Safari and downloaded ANY sort of iTunes audio file, it would hijack whatever you were listening to at the moment to play whatever just finished downloading. I do NOT want things I open with iTunes to start playing immediately, and I'm actually surprised Apple fixed this longstanding bug.

As far as all the other nitpicks go, why can't you just ignore them? You guys will complain about anything. If you don't like the 'composer' button, or the Genius sidebar, IGNORE THEM or TURN THEM OFF for pete's sake. Or, you know, stick with iTunes 7.

roland.g
Sep 11, 2008, 09:29 AM
That was always there when "group compilations by artist" was selected. Just toggle it and it will go away.

I'm a little confused here. What is going on with Compilations. Anyone have a good sense of it, they keep moving a bit. They are listed at the top in browser, but in grid show up at the end in genre sort. Are there new preferences. I use compilations for Soundtracks and other albums that group a variety of artists so that they get grouped.

matthewroth
Sep 11, 2008, 09:35 AM
I think he wants music to be added to the library and then start playing immediately like it did in iTunes 7.

Personally, I prefer this new way. Previously, if you had 'Open safe files after downloading' turned on in Safari and downloaded ANY sort of iTunes audio file, it would hijack whatever you were listening to at the moment to play whatever just finished downloading. I do NOT want things I open with iTunes to start playing immediately, and I'm actually surprised Apple fixed this longstanding bug.

As far as all the other nitpicks go, why can't you just ignore them? You guys will complain about anything. If you don't like the 'composer' button, or the Genius sidebar, IGNORE THEM or TURN THEM OFF for pete's sake. Or, you know, stick with iTunes 7.

i can see what you are saying, and i agree that some people complain far too much but this forum is for the discusion of the product... so critisism is to be expected.

roland.g
Sep 11, 2008, 10:07 AM
i can see what you are saying, and i agree that some people complain far too much but this forum is for the discusion of the product... so critisism is to be expected.

a. people hate change
b. but still 3 months later, 99% will have adjusted and can't remember how they lived before
c. mostly it's not criticism, it's just whining
d. and we get a loooooooooooot of whiners here
e. mostly because with the rise of Apple through the iPod and iPhone and the rise of MR forum members, the average age has dropped, and so subsequently unfortunately, the maturity level has along with it
f. reference e in 60-80% of the threads

iBlue
Sep 11, 2008, 10:16 AM
f. reference e in 60-80% of the threads

Hey, now that's not a bad thing! :p

johnnyjibbs
Sep 11, 2008, 10:18 AM
Not sure why everyone is complaining at people moaning about the changes.

I'm a little annoyed. Why should Apple remove the option to turn off the links? Just so we are more succeptible to buying a song from the iTunes store.. :rolleyes: Why shouldn't iTunes 8 preserve your settings like every other upgrade has? :rolleyes:

That's the problem with Apple: one step forward, two steps back with seemingly every release :eek:

There's just no need..

p.s. where's the cocoa?

Kilamite
Sep 11, 2008, 10:47 AM
Why is people complaining so much?

Aside from enhancements, nothing has changed! People reverting back to iTunes 7.7 - boo hoo. It works fine for me, and nothing has changed, only improvements (with the exclusion of iTunes Store Links which I used the Terminal command).

ohmicide
Sep 11, 2008, 12:51 PM
I think he wants music to be added to the library and thenPersonally, I prefer this new way.

well, i work on music so every time i bounce/render something i would just double click and play my files. now i have to double click them, go search for them, then play them.

i understand it's a nice change for some, but at least there should be an option to toggle it on or off.

ohmicide
Sep 12, 2008, 03:11 AM
so it seems like this new itunes is just a way to boost itunes sales

first, you can no longer hide the store button that appears next to every selected song, or at least that's what they want you to think ;)

second, they have this new genius playlist that you can only use if you have an itunes account

third, there's the new grid view which depends on album artwork. if your library is a mess you're going to want to get the album artwork, and to do that you also need an itunes account

and last but not least, they're offering hd downloads now

:apple: