Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
[backstory] i'm running myhtpc on my home theater computer that i built, but i want to get away from windows, so my room mate and i are working on getting mythtv (link) running. in order for me to switch, i need to be able to automount my music hard drive on my mac to the home theater computer. since mythtv is run on linux, we figure the best idea would be to make an automount of an nfs from my music hard drive on my powermac[/backstory]

now: i followed the instructions on this pdf for creating mac os x NFS shares. everything seems to have worked fine, but i continue to get a message of (first attempt) timeout or (second attempt) host refused connection.

my settings are to allow all clients, with maproot=nobody, read-only, my router set as network (network=192.168.1.0) and mask=255.255.255.0

can anyone see an error or have some experience setting this up?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Do you have your firewall turned off? I haven't done NFS on a Mac, but on other *nix boxes you basically end up leaving almost all of your non-priviledged ports open (ports > 1024) because nfs doesn't go over one specific port.

(I didn't read the pdf, but I did search it and didn't find "firewall" in there - so if this is covered, sorry 'bout that)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Some services under NFS use RPC, and can use other ports than 2049 which are randomly chosen by default. Additionally portmap is going to want to use port 111.

That's why I suggested turning the firewall off. It only takes a minute or two for the test, and if that doesn't fix it then you re-enable it and move on. If it works with the firewall off, then you've narrowed down the problem significantly.

There are ways to force the various pieces of the NFS service to use fixed ports, if it turns out to be the problem.

Another completely separate option would be to export your music folder via Samba, and automount it that way.

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
Allow Higher Ports

I was getting this same error for a while! Okay, I'm not sure of where or what the option is for you but I know that in my situation (RedHat 9 NFS Share and Mac OS X Clients) on the RedHat box I had to go into the NFS configuration and tell it to "Allow Connections from ports higher than 1024". I don't know too much about how to do this with /etc/exports or if it's possible. But here's a screenshot of the box I had to check in the gui.

davy the bunny

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2003
Dallas
[edit]
Sorry, I think I have the server and client backwards. Sorry, nevermind. . . [/edit]

Attachments

• nfsoptions.png
    nfsoptions.png
    13 KB · Views: 106
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.