Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seekup40ants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
SSIA. Is there going to be a software update to allow the old classics to utilize the genius app?

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
They never mentioned it, so I would assume no.. Now there might be an update but Jobs never hinted to the Genius feature being on the new classic.

Ok just checked Apple.com and the new models will have the Genius, doesn't say about the older ones...

seekup40ants

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
They never mentioned it, so I would assume no.. Now there might be an update but Jobs never hinted to the Genius feature being on the new classic.

Ok just checked Apple.com and the new models will have the Genius, doesn't say about the older ones...

I would really like to find this out.

dawnraid

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2007
5th gen users got shafted when the 5.5 gens came out with the search feature, so im guessing no.

Anonymouslives

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
I'm wondering the same thing, I just purchased an 80gb classic like 3 months ago, so it would be nice if there was a software update. I'm getting a new touch this weekend anyways, so I guess either way, I'll have it.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
SSIA. Is there going to be a software update to allow the old classics to utilize the genius app?

"Old" classics - in other words, the "old" 80 GB and 160 GB will receive software updates as I understand it.

Anyone got any idea about the battery life of the new 120 GB, and how does it differ from the two models it is set to replace?
Cheers

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
"Old" classics - in other words, the "old" 80 GB and 160 GB will receive software updates as I understand it.

Anyone got any idea about the battery life of the new 120 GB, and how does it differ from the two models it is set to replace?
Cheers

As reported on Engadget the older Classics will get the firmware upgrade that will include the genius feature.

The genius feature lets you pick one song and it will create a playlist with similar songs... its outstanding!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
As reported on Engadget the older Classics will get the firmware upgrade that will include the genius feature.

The genius feature lets you pick one song and it will create a playlist with similar songs... its outstanding!

Thanks for that link - and the information about battery life; as someone who has had two iPod batteries die (both well within warranty - they were replaced without any difficulty) battery life and duration has since then been a bit of a concern of mine.

Cheers and good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.