Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve.lawrence

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I have 2.1 working on my iPod Touch (1st gen) and whenever I hit the genius button on literally any track in 7gigs of music it just says "Try Again. This song does not have enough related songs to create a Genius Playlist." What gives? I have some pretty mainstream stuff on here.

I am starting to wonder if iTunes has to process the genius data for your tracks before you sync them over (i.e. will not work with existing tracks on your iPod unless you delete them and resync)?

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
I haven't ran into any problems. Are your songs tagged correctly? Meaning is the artist name, album name, song name the same as iTunes'? If not, that's probably the problem.

steve.lawrence

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I haven't ran into any problems. Are your songs tagged correctly? Meaning is the artist name, album name, song name the same as iTunes'? If not, that's probably the problem.

Yup, it definitely is.

How does the iPod get the data though? If it is not getting it over wifi (which I doubt) then it must be processed in iTunes before the file is put onto the iPod...? No?

DaftUnion

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2005
Wisconsin
Setting up the Genius thing is a 3 step process. First you have to actually enable it by having an iTunes store account. Then it's got a 3 step checklist that first analyses your library, sends it to iTunes and then sends something back.

Trust me, it takes a while but when it's done it's awesome. This thing is EXTREMELY good at coming up with good playlists. It doesn't work with everything, but pretty close.

gillybean

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I updated to iTunes 8 and as far as I could tell, Genius was just recommending a bunch of other stuff for me to buy off iTunes.

Then I noticed that I should press the "Genius" button on the bottom to create a playlist. It didn't work for the first song that I tried (by Blink 182), but it worked for the second song that I tried (by Garbage) and automatically generated a playlist of 25 songs for me.

steve.lawrence

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
OK I think that explains it. I setup iTunes 8 and downloaded 2.1 on my work PC which has only 1 or 2 albums in the iTunes library. Hence when I sync it is not sending over data about any of my music. That seems logical. Can't wait to try it on my computer at home.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
They will work from ANY source as long as your Tag info is correct.

GENIUS playlists aren't going to be spot on just yet. If any of you watched the keynote you would know that it relies on not only your music taste, but every one elses. So it needs to evolve. I honestly think it will be a GENIUS around the Christmas season, especially after Christmas when more people get into the iPod/iTunes thing.

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Aerosmith's Dream On ≠ Dragonforce's Through the Fire and the Flames

But this genius says they belong in the same playlist... :eek:

milani

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
The playlists it creates aren't very good yet, but think about it: it has to collect everyone's data, and learn - after all, it's a learning engine. As far as suggested music in the Genius Bar, it's been spot on for me so far, and has actually suggested a lot of music I didn't have, some I hadn't heard of, but all of which was related or similar to what I was listening to! It works fantastically!

gucabe

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
Of course they do pismodude2, they are both on the Guitar hero 3 game... makes sense to me.

gucabe

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
Well i don't know about the Wii, but on the Ps3 and or RROD360 you can purchase it on the online stores.

gucabe

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008
yes.. back to the topic... I had the same problem, I basically made a genius playlist on itunes first, then I rebooted my ipod and synced it again, then it started the backup process and it was all good

The Killer Fuzz

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
sorry but I"m going off topic really quick. Dream on by Aerosmith was available as a free download on the 360 (I'm not positive abut the ps3) the weekend after GHA was announced, so there is some clarification.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
sorry but I"m going off topic really quick. Dream on by Aerosmith was available as a free download on the 360 (I'm not positive abut the ps3) the weekend after GHA was announced, so there is some clarification.

So I click on Party People by Fergie and click genius and it comes up with a list that includes mr brownstone by GNR and a song by NIN....hmmm....

bowlman23

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
Does Genius work if you manage your music manually?

I downloaded the new iTunes, installed the new update on my iPod and I still don't see the Genius button.

Any suggestions?

gucabe

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2008

I downloaded the new iTunes, installed the new update on my iPod and I still don't see the Genius button.

Any suggestions?

I in manual mode too. Just try to reboot the iPod reconect it and see if it works. I had to sync it at least 3 times before I got it to wrk

gloss

macrumors 601
May 9, 2006
around/about

Any suggestions?

Drag a Genius playlist from iTunes to your iPod and then sync it. You'll have an abnormally long sync while it loads the Genius data and then you should be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.