PDA

View Full Version : HD Download has disappeared! & My annoyance at how Music Videos appear!

tobyboat
Sep 10, 2008, 06:56 AM
Has anyone else has a problem with the HDTV downloads?
I downloaded the free episode of Heroes to see what the quality was like.
One the HD version of the show had downloaded it completely disappeared. No where to be found, not in the trash can, no where in spotlight.
Which I thought was weird, but thought it must have been my fault, and afterall it was free, so nothing was really lost. (The standard version downloaded perfectly.)

I then decided to buy the first episode of Grey's Anatomy, Season 4, and just as it completed downloading, once more it disappeared. I have searched high & low. Once again the standard version has downloaded perfectly.

It's really annoying that my money has basically been wasted (especially as I already have all of Season 4 from iTunes. So that's $2.99 down the drain!

Also, anyone having problems with how music videos show up in Grid view? They are all in (lots) of unknown albums, and just look horrid.
I wish iTunes would give them there own tab again, like it used to be (iTunes 6.0??)

Other than that...
I love the new grid view, it looks awesome.
The visualiser is sweet as & I think the genius side bar is, well, genius!

Anyone have any ideas on what to do about my HD missing shows?
(Obviously report it to apple).

forrestmc4
Sep 10, 2008, 08:47 AM
I had the same thing happen with a number of shows. WTF. Let me know if you figure it out.

Foxer
Sep 10, 2008, 10:10 AM
I lost an HD episode of Battlestar Galactica last night, too.

MacBoobsPro
Sep 10, 2008, 10:29 AM
They said you could download them to your computer. They didnt say anything about watching them. :D

tobyboat why was your first download free?

tobyboat
Sep 10, 2008, 11:44 AM
They said you could download them to your computer. They didnt say anything about watching them. :D

tobyboat why was your first download free?

NBC are offering loads of episodes for free on iTunes right now (for example, the one I downloaded, but lost - Heroes, Season 2, Episode 1)
It just happened to be my first download.
No special treatment, unfortunately!

I still can't find any of my HD downloads.
So annoying.

northy124
Sep 10, 2008, 11:50 AM
I also lost a HD download (The Office) I'm currently re-downloading if it doesn't stay I'm going to be pissed.

Mabus51
Sep 10, 2008, 12:35 PM
I too, am having this problem and have figured out what is causing it. When the standard version of the download starts it overwrites the HD version because they use the same file name. If you pause the standard version so that it doesn't start downloading when the HD version finishes. Then exit iTunes and reopen it. When you start downloading the standard version iTunes renames the standard version with a number 2 at the end so it doesn't overwrite the HD version. You think they would have bug tested this before launching.

tobyboat
Sep 10, 2008, 12:35 PM
I also lost a HD download (The Office) I'm currently re-downloading if it doesn't stay I'm going to be pissed.

Have you had to pay for your re-download?
Or did you contact apple?

Mabus51
Sep 10, 2008, 12:48 PM
I was testing with the free episodes, but my guess would be that if you paid for the episode you would have to contact apple as it technically downloaded successfully.

I am using the current version of Leopard incase anyone is curious.

northy124
Sep 10, 2008, 01:09 PM
Have you had to pay for your re-download?
Or did you contact apple?

Contacted apple got no reply and seeing as it was the free episode out of the whole of The Office Season 4 that went missing so I saw no harm in "Paying" for it again.

Mabus51
Sep 10, 2008, 01:36 PM
Another fix for this problem is to turn on simultaneous downloads.

northy124
Sep 10, 2008, 01:53 PM
Another fix for this problem is to turn on simultaneous downloads.

It was simultaneous downloads that caused it for me apparently:(, Sticking with only D/Ling one at a time in future.

Mabus51
Sep 10, 2008, 02:21 PM
Originally I had iTunes setup for single downloads and had that problem. So if you do that make sure you pause the standard downloads exit iTunes after the HD versions are downloaded and reopen itunes to start the standard downloads.

forrestmc4
Sep 10, 2008, 04:09 PM
Sooo how do i get the ten episodes i lost back?

northy124
Sep 10, 2008, 04:23 PM
Sooo how do i get the ten episodes i lost back?

I'd phone Apple if I lost 10 episodes, I recommend you do the same.

tobyboat
Sep 10, 2008, 04:42 PM
I just re-downloaded the free episode of Heroes available (it's not I'm going to spend anymore money for a minute!)
And it worked fine (albeit a 2 1/2 hour download!)
I ticked simultaneous downloads on, but still only the one downloaded at any one time.
All very weird.

I'm not sure if I'll bother buying any HD shows though to be honest, not if I'm just going to lose them.