PDA

View Full Version : my friend told me that...

Xgamer1224
Sep 10, 2008, 01:49 PM
apple backs up your music using the internet. i was wondering if it is true because i had over 300 songs on my itunes library and then my computer crashed and deleted it all. i would have transfered my purchases but tragically, my ipod had to berestored after it got really really hot after i plugged it into the wall to charge. is this true? because it would really benefit me.

GoCubsGo
Sep 10, 2008, 01:50 PM
Your friend was incorrect.
You can back up your hard drive using Time Machine, but you don't need the internet for that. No go sock your friend in the throat.

xJulianx
Sep 10, 2008, 01:51 PM
Are you sure he wasn't referring to Time Machine which does automatic backups to an external drive?

Xgamer1224
Sep 10, 2008, 01:54 PM
well he meant for windows. and is there no way to get my music back?

soberbrain
Sep 10, 2008, 01:57 PM
Try calling Apple and let them know about what happened.

See if they can let you download the purchased songs for free.

Whether that works or not, consider having a back up solution.

Sky Blue
Sep 10, 2008, 01:59 PM

No

EricNau
Sep 10, 2008, 02:00 PM
It's the same story for Windows. While they are under no obligation to help, you can certainly contact Apple and see if they're willing to help. Under rare circumstances they have been known to allow you to re-download your previously purchased content.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/browser/

...Select "Purchase(s) missing" > "My Hard Drive Crashed"

And from this point forward, always have a current backup of all your data.

James17
Sep 10, 2008, 02:03 PM
apple backs up your music using the internet. i was wondering if it is true because i had over 300 songs on my itunes library and then my computer crashed and deleted it all. i would have transfered my purchases but tragically, my ipod had to berestored after it got really really hot after i plugged it into the wall to charge. is this true? because it would really benefit me.

I lost some purchased songs in iTunes and after contacting Apple via the form on the link below they checked my purchase history to verify I had already purchased the songs and they made them available for me to download again free. Email them explaining how you lost them and they will do the same. Link below,

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/browser/

MacBass
Sep 10, 2008, 03:14 PM
Wow, this would have been handy to have had back when my machine crashed. I just bit the bullet and bought the songs again. Granted, there may have only been 30 - 50 songs, but still.

yrsonicdeath
Sep 10, 2008, 03:16 PM
Now go sock your friend in the throat.

Haha, nice.

nick9191
Sep 10, 2008, 03:16 PM
Have you got house insurance? This may cover digital media.

I assume we are talking about legally purchased music from iTunes?