PDA

View Full Version : where did the 160 gig iPod go?

tooshaggy
Sep 10, 2008, 07:20 PM
I thought with the newest iPod updates Apple would raise the bar in iPod storage with a bigger unit than 160 gigs. Why are they only selling the 120?

Is there something wrong with the 160?

Are they not going to offer such a thing again??

TEG
Sep 10, 2008, 07:23 PM
The 160GB used a two platter hard drive, and Apple wanted to eliminate that extra thickness from the lineup, so they discontinued it and boosted the capacity of the 80GB to 120GB. When larger, single platter hard drives are made available, then they will offer a larger iPod. Also, I believe that the 160GB was the worst selling of the iPod models, that was also why they dropped it.

TEG

macsForLife
Sep 10, 2008, 07:29 PM
I think eventually the 240 will come out, just be patient. Although I am surprised that they didn't announce it then and there. There might be supply issues though, now that Microsuck is leeching off the 1.8" drives too now.

Triangel7D
Sep 10, 2008, 07:51 PM
When the marketing tagline on the Apple Store site for the Classic is:

"One size fits all. The new iPod Classic."

...that makes me think the 240GB may not come out. I'm starting to believe that based on the poor sales of the 160GB that Apple thinks most people don't want a big iPod.

Sam Yikin
Sep 10, 2008, 07:56 PM
It went to ebay.

iCantwait
Sep 10, 2008, 10:07 PM
It was too fat and died of heart failure.

motulist
Sep 10, 2008, 10:21 PM
240 GB iPod will probably come out sometime within the next couple of months, if not sooner. The 240 GB drives JUST came out a couple of days ago, so Apple wasn't able to have them ready in time for the big event. Or at least that's the most likely deal that I've heard yet.

Triangel7D
Sep 11, 2008, 06:03 AM
I'm curious who is saying (or why you think) that is the most likely scenario. The 240GB Toshiba HD was announced as about to go into production. And based on their release pattern from the past (4 months is the shortest time), the earliest they would bring out another model is January (which is also after the holidays, so they can burn off a lot of 120GB, and 160GB for that matter...).

I'm playing it safe with the 160GB I bought on Tuesday. I'm sorry I waited this long to get it. I think whether Apple brings out a 240 will be based on sales, not the availability of a drive. I'm not helping my own case by buying a 160GB -- I'm telling Apple to make a 240GB, despite myself!

nickane
Sep 11, 2008, 02:43 PM
I'm curious who is saying (or why you think) that is the most likely scenario. The 240GB Toshiba HD was announced as about to go into production. And based on their release pattern from the past (4 months is the shortest time), the earliest they would bring out another model is January (which is also after the holidays, so they can burn off a lot of 120GB, and 160GB for that matter...).

I'm playing it safe with the 160GB I bought on Tuesday. I'm sorry I waited this long to get it. I think whether Apple brings out a 240 will be based on sales, not the availability of a drive. I'm not helping my own case by buying a 160GB -- I'm telling Apple to make a 240GB, despite myself!

I read this thread at work and meant to point out the obvious, but then when searching around for a 160 (wish I'd bought one earlier too, but around april, I decided to wait til september) I found someone already wrote a whole article about it.

http://www.macworld.com/article/135490/2008/09/classicseatwarmer.html

The classic now tops out at 120 gig so that we don't have to wait for 128GB flash chips to become affordable enough for a touch to feasibly house two of them to kill the hd-based ipod off altogether. end of. Speaking as someone who looks after their cds, computers, hds (complete with unmanageable lossless collection) and hd-based media players with the utmost care, it's a bit annoying to realize that the wind is already blowing that way, cos I'd have gotten quite a bit more mileage out of that 240gig iPod than I will out of a 160 - once I track one down.

gkarris
Sep 11, 2008, 02:50 PM
I doubt Apple will use the dual platter 240.... 120 Gig should be enough for most people.

The 160 Gig will appear again when the single-platters go to that next year...

bartzilla
Sep 11, 2008, 03:04 PM
I doubt Apple will use the dual platter 240.... 120 Gig should be enough for most people.

Yep, there will be a big event to announce the "new" 160Gb iPod and we'll be all expected to clap along like trained seals.

macsForLife
Sep 11, 2008, 03:28 PM

Even 240 is [I]not[I] enough for a lot of people. Why would they release another 160 when they could release a 240?

nutmac
Sep 11, 2008, 03:42 PM
240 GB iPod will probably come out sometime within the next couple of months, if not sooner.
Since 240 GB HDD is a dual platter variety, which translates to thicker iPod, I doubt your prognosis. During the presentation, Steve Jobs specifically said many people prefer thinner iPod classic so they are eliminating the fat one. When and if larger single platter 1.8" HDD becomes available, larger capacity iPod classic may be introduced, but given shrinking interest in 1.8" HDD, we may get 128 GB flash memory iPod touch instead.

Brien
Sep 11, 2008, 03:53 PM
Even 240 is [I]not[I] enough for a lot of people. Why would they release another 160 when they could release a 240?

For a lot of people, even 500GB wouldn't be enough. It's like chasing rainbows, and Apple knows it.

People will have to get accustomed to not being able to carry all their music and video content at once.

ebrunn
Sep 11, 2008, 04:05 PM
I bought a 160gb about a month ago. Love it so far. Only have like 81gb's of music but its nice to have that headroom.

pooryou
Sep 11, 2008, 04:17 PM
'One Size Fits All' is the most UN-Apple like slogan I've ever heard.

You know they are doing something stupid when they have to say something like that....

pooryou
Sep 11, 2008, 04:18 PM
For a lot of people, even 500GB wouldn't be enough. It's like chasing rainbows, and Apple knows it.

LOL. You could say that about every single product in the entire technology sector. Normally known as 'progress'.

krye
Sep 12, 2008, 07:34 AM
With the addition of the Touch and the iPhone, platter based iPods have becoming a niche product. I don't think there are that many people that want to take their entire collection with them anymore. I think most people just carry the best if the best. Once flash is cheap enough to offer a 128G model, you'll be kissing the Classic goodbye.

xJulianx
Sep 12, 2008, 07:47 AM
With the addition of the Touch and the iPhone, platter based iPods have becoming a niche product. I don't think there are that many people that want to take their entire collection with them anymore. I think most people just carry the best if the best. Once flash is cheap enough to offer a 128G model, you'll be kissing the Classic goodbye.

I think Apple will keep the Classic always. People are going to want a simple, cheaper iPod, many simply don't care for all of the Touch's bells and whistles.

Apple are the leaders in the portable music player market and they will lose out on a lot of customers by dropping their classic, original and simple music playing iPod.

SactoGuy18
Sep 12, 2008, 07:53 AM
I think Apple didn't release the 240 GB iPod classic because they probably couldn't assure themselves of a steady supply of the 1.8" 240 GB hard disk drive. By Macworld SF 2009, that supply issue may be resolved, and Apple may release the 240 GB classic at that show.

quasinormal
Sep 12, 2008, 07:54 AM

You know they are doing something stupid when they have to say something like that....

I totally agree. "One size fits all" is quite a contrast to "Think different".

The 160GB iPod is in the refurb store waiting for a 240GB transplant.

2A Batterie
Sep 12, 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm thinking of buying the 160gb in the refurb store. I checked in the clearance list, and the 160gb was listed as "previous generation". Is there really any difference between the 160gb and the "new" 120gb model aside from the hd size? IS there any new features in the 120 that the 160 doesn't have?

stvfisher
Sep 12, 2008, 02:03 PM
I think Apple will keep the Classic always. People are going to want a simple, cheaper iPod, many simply don't care for all of the Touch's bells and whistles.

Apple are the leaders in the portable music player market and they will lose out on a lot of customers by dropping their classic, original and simple music playing iPod.

Isn't this where the Nano comes into play? The capacity of the Nano seems to double every year.

sparks9
Sep 12, 2008, 02:11 PM
Isn't this where the Nano comes into play? The capacity of the Nano seems to double every year.

yes.

the nano is the new ipod (well has been for years)

the ipod classic is for storage-freaks.

flyler
Sep 12, 2008, 04:24 PM
Oh my freaken god. I had waited so freaken long just for a size gig update to get an iPod, and now they go and make it 40 gigs smaller and for the same size? That is a load of bovine excriments.

Screw Apple. Even if I did get this "240 gig" iPod, it would probably be outrageously priced at like 500 dollars.

I feel like a fool for waiting for something great from Apple, then just getting the same crap released only crappier than before.

cube
Sep 12, 2008, 04:32 PM

That's exacly Apple: get the stupid (Mac mini or iMac) or the overkill (Mac Pro).

Digital Skunk
Sep 12, 2008, 04:48 PM
That's exacly Apple: get the stupid (Mac mini or iMac) or the overkill (Mac Pro).

Agreed, but you and I know that Apple isn't going to do the "Hey, we made a machine that caters to 25% of the market and it's fully expandable and at an affordable price," thing anytime soon.

Honestly, I think Apple is on a loosing streak when it comes to design. The new keyboards suck, the MM sucks, the fat Nano sucked, the iPhone's battery life and service provider suck (I know, not design related) and now the iPod Touch has that awful scratch prone aluminum back on it.

I loved the 160GB iPod, and it was definitely Apple's worst selling iPod. It was everything i wanted in a Pod, heavy, massive capacity, and did everything I needed it to do. I am sure Apple listened to the Emo rich suburban kids and soccer moms when they decided to give the best price bargain iPod the axe.

Personally, the Touch can take a back seat to capacity and easy of use. I will be a Classic buyer for a long time, up until they reach 320GBs and the Touch is still at a measly 128GB.

Cheffy Dave
Sep 12, 2008, 05:41 PM
Refurbished iPod classic, 160GB - Black
Holds up to 40,000 songs
Up to 40 hours of music playback
Up to 7 hours of video playback
5.7 ounces
4.1 x 2.4 x 0.53 inches
Apple Earphones
USB cable
Dock adapter
Learn More

Save 29% off the original price
Original price: $349.00
Your price: $249.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

Add
Refurbished iPod classic, 160GB - Silver
Holds up to 40,000 songs
Up to 40 hours of music playback
Up to 7 hours of video playback
5.7 ounces
4.1 x 2.4 x 0.53 inches
Apple Earphones
USB cable
Dock adapter
Learn More

Save 29% off the original price
Original price: $349.00
Your price: $249.00
Estimated Ship:
Within 24 hours
Free Shipping

Add Available in the Apple Store Refurbs, while they last:cool:

iMacmatician
Sep 12, 2008, 06:08 PM
Maybe Apple will add on a 240 GB model for $349 when the 240 GB HDDs are available in quantity. This could also explain why the 160 GB wasn't price dropped to $299.

atoothelex
Sep 12, 2008, 07:11 PM
I really hope that Apple adopts this new 1.8" 240GB HDD from toshiba into their iPod classic! I would make so much sense to do it. I mean 240 is 2x 120 and the base model is normally half of the higher end iPod classic. So many people would want a 240GB (audiophiles) and i would be forever pissed at Apple if they didn't upgrade. I mean, how could they not use it? I for one wouldn't mind the thickness nor the price i exchange for 80 more gigs in my pocket

pooryou
Sep 12, 2008, 08:01 PM

Do you see where you are contradicting yourself there?

Digital Skunk
Sep 13, 2008, 12:41 AM
I really hope that Apple adopts this new 1.8" 240GB HDD from toshiba into their iPod classic! I would make so much sense to do it. I mean 240 is 2x 120 and the base model is normally half of the higher end iPod classic. So many people would want a 240GB (audiophiles) and i would be forever pissed at Apple if they didn't upgrade. I mean, how could they not use it? I for one wouldn't mind the thickness nor the price i exchange for 80 more gigs in my pocket

Is the Hitachi on the market yet? Just curious since the last time I read about it the drive was only due for fabrication around this time.

cube
Sep 13, 2008, 02:06 AM
Do you see where you are contradicting yourself there?

2 market segmentations do not fit all.

DaftUnion
Sep 13, 2008, 03:53 AM
I'm thinking of buying the 160gb in the refurb store. I checked in the clearance list, and the 160gb was listed as "previous generation". Is there really any difference between the 160gb and the "new" 120gb model aside from the hd size? IS there any new features in the 120 that the 160 doesn't have?

If you're really concerned, just buy it from amazon. They still have the the 160gb new at the same price (I think $298 something).

chedda
Sep 13, 2008, 01:45 PM
Yesterday i went out and bought a 160 GB classic as i finally decided that the 240 wasn't coming at all. I have come to the conclusion that 120 is the magic number because at some point probably this time next year it will be super-seeded by a 128 GB touch. So i t seems this is a case of "last of the Mohicans" for me .

Digital Skunk
Sep 13, 2008, 01:54 PM
because at some point probably this time next year it will be super-seeded by a 128 GB touch. So i t seems this is a case of "last of the Mohicans" for me .

No... it won't.

And still the Classic will be larger.

motulist
Sep 13, 2008, 02:13 PM
I have come to the conclusion that 120 is the magic number because at some point probably this time next year it will be super-seeded by a 128 GB touch. So i t seems this is a case of "last of the Mohicans" for me .

The storage capacity is only one portion of what makes the Classic a different product than the touch. Even if the touch had MORE capacity than the Classic, the Classic would not disappear from Apple's product line. Many people need their music player to have an eyes-free one-hand-controlled interface. You can't be biking along at 25 miles an hour in traffic and pull your music player out, hold it in one hand while touching the screen with the other hand, looking down from the road and taping in the correct gestures to get to the music player screen so that you can skip to the next song. With the classic you just put your hand over the scroll wheel while it's in your pocket and click it down.

Touch screen won't replace click wheel until touch screen can be easily operated with one hand and without looking at the screen.

chedda
Sep 13, 2008, 03:04 PM
The storage capacity is only one portion of what makes the Classic a different product than the touch. Even if the touch had MORE capacity than the Classic, the Classic would not disappear from Apple's product line. Many people need their music player to have an eyes-free one-hand-controlled interface. You can't be biking along at 25 miles an hour in traffic and pull your music player out, hold it in one hand while touching the screen with the other hand, looking down from the road and taping in the correct gestures to get to the music player screen so that you can skip to the next song. With the classic you just put your hand over the scroll wheel while it's in your pocket and click it down.

Touch screen won't replace click wheel until touch screen can be easily operated with one hand and without looking at the screen.

While i agree the scroll wheel is important i don't think your cycling example was advisable even walking with an ipod can be dangerous ! The eyes free concept is important to me also and it's what keeps me away from the touch. So do you think they will ever support more than one size ? Will they retract "One size fits all" ? Or will it just jump straight to 240 GB in the new year ? The 240 is surely larger and then that means 2 different enclosures, one size doesn't fit all. It looks like the nano is a long way off 128 GB ? Perhaps the classic will one day move to 128 GB flash based storage. Either way its hard to read what's going to happen at least the 120 and one size business will be around for 6 months.

Digital Skunk
Sep 13, 2008, 03:23 PM

I have a good hunch that Apple will just keep putting the largest capacity single platter drive in the Classic as long as possible. Even when 128GB of flash becomes affordable, the HDD capacity will most likely be double that and still half the price.

As far as 240GB goes, it will have to be a single platter drive to fit in the iPod, which i doubt will get it's larger sized dual platter brother back.

macsForLife
Sep 14, 2008, 03:40 PM
I have a good hunch that Apple will just keep putting the largest capacity single platter drive in the Classic as long as possible. Even when 128GB of flash becomes affordable, the HDD capacity will most likely be double that and still half the price.

As far as 240GB goes, it will have to be a single platter drive to fit in the iPod, which i doubt will get it's larger sized dual platter brother back.

I agree with the first part, I think it will continue for a while, 128 and 256gb flash is VERY expensive right now, and by the time it comes down to the point where it can be put in a $300-$500 iPod Touch, we will have 1.8" drives with 500gb of space, possibly more. But Apple isn't immune to talking back the marketing they've done so far. Right now, they must convince people that the 120 is what they need, because the don't have a 240 to offer. I think its down to supply issues, I think we will see a dual-platter 240. Honestly, if its the same size as the outgoing 160 (which it would be), and there are a ton of people right now snatching those up, how many people are really, truly bothered by that extra .15 inch? I'm sure not. I'll gladly take that to double the storage, thats for sure.

Digital Skunk
Sep 14, 2008, 11:38 PM
how many people are really, truly bothered by that extra .15 inch? I'm sure not. I'll gladly take that to double the storage, thats for sure.

Me neither. I have the 160 and I hope it's the iPod that will last me until it either comes back to the market, or Apple gives us something bigger. I do have this gut feeling that Apple may never bring back that larger size though.

AeroStud1026
Sep 14, 2008, 11:59 PM
My take on the larger size iPods are this.....Classics and other larger ipods are becoming less and less appealing to the fan base. Apple totally re-vamped the Nano in every aspect. However they did little to the classic. Which in a nutshell Apple just eliminated the 80GB model and gave the 120GB a price break. The only new feature was the Genius Playlist.....big whoop...... It would have been nice to see Shake to Shuffle, the motion sensor wide screen display, and a few more color choices on the Classic as well. This proves to me apple no longer see's the classic to be a viable asset and in the next year if not 2 years we will be seeing a total phase out of the classics.

After 3 years of progression the Nano has everything the Classic had/has except the large HD. Is the large HD enough to keep the run on classics alive? I have my doubts.

macsForLife
Sep 15, 2008, 07:54 PM
My take on the larger size iPods are this.....Classics and other larger ipods are becoming less and less appealing to the fan base. Apple totally re-vamped the Nano in every aspect. However they did little to the classic. Which in a nutshell Apple just eliminated the 80GB model and gave the 120GB a price break. The only new feature was the Genius Playlist.....big whoop...... It would have been nice to see Shake to Shuffle, the motion sensor wide screen display, and a few more color choices on the Classic as well. This proves to me apple no longer see's the classic to be a viable asset and in the next year if not 2 years we will be seeing a total phase out of the classics.

After 3 years of progression the Nano has everything the Classic had/has except the large HD. Is the large HD enough to keep the run on classics alive? I have my doubts.

Shake to shuffle might not be such a good idea on an HD based iPod...I can see some problems with that.:rolleyes:

I think the reason it didn't get changed too much is because, in its form factor, there isn't much more that can be done. And I just read that the 240gb drive will not be hitting full production till the end of this year or Q1 09, so I'm sure that at that time we'll see a 240gb Classic.

BOBgrand
Mar 28, 2011, 01:54 PM
Gotta go 240 or larger APPLE people, please!!! As a DJ the 160 is great but I can only get 20,000 songs on it (have almost 17,000 songs on the 120 (without album covers/pictures)............most of my stuff is remixed (longer versions of songs) and I subscribe to a few music services and like to load everything on there! Have a 120 and a 160 - both GREAT PRODUCTS!!! The 160 I have close to 20,000 songs on it and have been playing it in "shuffle" and "genius" modes without one problem............nice to have that extra "input" when playing gigs and for back up on my 2 terabyte hd drive main DJ rig. If you build a 240 I will buy two of them tomorrow!!!

dime21
Mar 28, 2011, 04:31 PM
I hope a 240 GB ipod classic is offered, and I hope they give you a BTO option for SSD. An iPod classic with 240 GB SSD would be very sweet!!

Ccrew
Mar 28, 2011, 04:40 PM
You can't be biking along at 25 miles an hour in traffic and pull your music player out, hold it in one hand while touching the screen with the other hand, looking down from the road and taping in the correct gestures to get to the music player screen so that you can skip to the next song.

You can't? Rookie! :)

J/k.. I have mine on the shoulder on my messenger bag, getting to it without looking is what works.

Digital Skunk
Mar 29, 2011, 07:20 AM
I hope a 240 GB ipod classic is offered, and I hope they give you a BTO option for SSD. An iPod classic with 240 GB SSD would be very sweet!!

It would be very sweet, but that 240GBs will be no better than Class 4 compact flash cards unless you want to pay over $700 for your iPod Classic.

dime21
Mar 29, 2011, 08:56 AM
It would be very sweet, but that 240GBs will be no better than Class 4 compact flash cards unless you want to pay over $700 for your iPod Classic.
I don't care about the price, I have no trouble paying $700 to get exactly what I want. I do have trouble paying $300 for something mediocre that isn't really what I want.

Give me a better DAC, a headphone jack that also has TOSLINK optical out (like the jack on the MBP), and a 240 GB SSD in the next iPod classic and I will gladly pay $700 for it.

Digital Skunk
Apr 2, 2011, 09:59 AM
I don't care about the price, I have no trouble paying $700 to get exactly what I want. I do have trouble paying $300 for something mediocre that isn't really what I want.

Give me a better DAC, a headphone jack that also has TOSLINK optical out (like the jack on the MBP), and a 240 GB SSD in the next iPod classic and I will gladly pay $700 for it.

I know the issue about turning the iPod Classic has been coming up every now and then.

It would be nice to see the iPod Classic turn into the iPod Pro with features that pro DJs and music/audio aficionados would kill for. It would be a very niche product though.

yly3
Apr 3, 2011, 06:16 AM
It would be nice to see the iPod Classic turn into the iPod Pro with features that pro DJs and music/audio aficionados would kill for. It would be a very niche product though.

This is the best quote I have read about the future of the Classic. It would be a cool revamp for the music lovers and Apple could get a lot of money out of this, so it should be a win-win on both sides. Every single (respected) DJ I have seen is using a Mac.