PDA

View Full Version : Does Genius work on first gen iPod Touch?

superspiffy
Sep 11, 2008, 02:05 AM
?

Tallest Skil
Sep 11, 2008, 02:07 AM
Yes, with the new software. Nike+iPod does not.

Ivan P
Sep 11, 2008, 02:08 AM
Yes. You need to update to 2.1. When on the Now Playing screen, tap the artwork to bring up the shuffle/repeat controls and lyrics; halfway between shuffle and repeat you should see the Genius logo. Select that and it will take you to a Genius playlist built around the track that was playing.

Griffter
Sep 11, 2008, 03:50 AM
I've updated my iPod to 2.1, but there is no genius feature... quite disappointing actually, I thought Steve had said that we would get Genius.

Chundles
Sep 11, 2008, 03:52 AM
I've updated my iPod to 2.1, but there is no genius feature... quite disappointing actually, I thought Steve had said that we would get Genius.

It does. The iPod touch software 2.1 on the first gen iPod includes Genius functionality. You need to have iTunes 8 and Genius turned on so the information will transfer over to the iPod but Genius is definitely a part of iPod touch software 2.1 and the 1G iPod touch. I have it and it's definitely there.

x Danny
Sep 11, 2008, 03:57 AM
It does. The iPod touch software 2.1 on the first gen iPod includes Genius functionality. You need to have iTunes 8 and Genius turned on so the information will transfer over to the iPod but Genius is definitely a part of iPod touch software 2.1 and the 1G iPod touch. I have it and it's definitely there.

I've tried clicking the genius button, it's there for me but it never actually does anything - it'll just come up something like "No releated songs", every song it does it for. Do I need to create it on iTunes or something? I don't get this Genius thing, seems more hassle than it's worth.

Ivan P
Sep 11, 2008, 03:59 AM
I've tried clicking the genius button, it's there for me but it never actually does anything - it'll just come up something like "No releated songs", every song it does it for. Do I need to create it on iTunes or something? I don't get this Genius thing, seems more hassle than it's worth.

When it's working as it should, on both the iPod touch and in iTunes, it's really as simple as selecting the Genius button and a playlist should be automatically made within a second. Perhaps try restoring your iPod.

Resist
Sep 11, 2008, 06:15 AM
I've updated my iPod to 2.1, but there is no genius feature.I am having the same issue. I updated to 2.1 but don't see a genius feature.

kshat28
Sep 11, 2008, 06:37 AM
OK I got it to work. First you need to get genius running on iTunes then sync your iPod again. I won't work with new songs either, they need to be out for at least a week or so.