PDA

View Full Version : Is this the reason Apple charges for the 2.1 upgrade?

new2macworld
Sep 11, 2008, 03:47 PM
I read this on the Washingtonpost tech writer's weekly chat. Does anyone know if this is true?

D.C.: Hi Rob, I'm sure you are going to get a ton of questions on the new Ipod lineup. I'm thinking about getting the new Touch, haven't decided 8 or 16GB. Am I wrong to be really steamed that Apple is charging Touch users to upgrade to the software so that we can download from the App Store? Am I the only one?

Rob Pegoraro: No, you're probably not the only one. Apple says that it has to charge for the upgrade because of SEC regulations--they have to account for material upgrades provided to old products, and if they don't derive a continuing revenue stream from them (as is the case with the iPhone) then they must charge something. IANAL (I am not a lawyer), so I can't say if that's the case or not. But I do know that some iPod software upgrades have included small but distinct new features but did not come with a charge.

TEG
Sep 11, 2008, 03:49 PM
I read this on the Washingtonpost tech writer's weekly chat. Does anyone know if this is true?

D.C.: Hi Rob, I'm sure you are going to get a ton of questions on the new Ipod lineup. I'm thinking about getting the new Touch, haven't decided 8 or 16GB. Am I wrong to be really steamed that Apple is charging Touch users to upgrade to the software so that we can download from the App Store? Am I the only one?

Rob Pegoraro: No, you're probably not the only one. Apple says that it has to charge for the upgrade because of SEC regulations--they have to account for material upgrades provided to old products, and if they don't derive a continuing revenue stream from them (as is the case with the iPhone) then they must charge something. IANAL (I am not a lawyer), so I can't say if that's the case or not. But I do know that some iPod software upgrades have included small but distinct new features but did not come with a charge.

This quote is accurate, and you actually paying for 2.0, 2.1 is free.

TEG

sgtboy
Sep 11, 2008, 04:04 PM
If you have 2.0, 2.1 is free!

Rockrover
Sep 11, 2008, 04:19 PM
If you have 2.0, 2.1 is free!

I'm hearing now that even if you DIDN'T have 2.0...2.1 is free! Leap-frog a revision w/o paying a dime. Nice eh?

--D