PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft's Next Seinfeld Ad Airs: 'New Family'

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

MacRumors
Sep 11, 2008, 09:14 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBWPf1BWtkw

Tonight, Microsoft aired the second of a series of new ads featuring Bill Gates and comedian Jerry Seinfeld. The long version of the ad (4m 30s) is embedded above via YouTube and a high quality version is available at Microsoft.com (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/default.aspx?icid=winvan).

The first installment of the ad campaign (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/04/microsofts-first-seinfeld-ad-airs-shoe-circus/) showed Bill Gates and Seinfeld at a shoe store. The new installment shows Gates and Seinfeld living with "real people".

While we don't plan on getting into a habit of posting news stories for every new Microsoft ad, the original ad story (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/04/microsofts-first-seinfeld-ad-airs-shoe-circus/) generated a remarkable amount of feedback. Future ads may be reported on our Page 2 (http://page2.macrumors.com) which is also linked from the left sidebar.

Article Link (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/09/11/microsofts-next-seinfeld-ad-airs-new-family/)

Warbrain
Sep 11, 2008, 09:16 PM
And more utter junk.

meagain
Sep 11, 2008, 09:17 PM
Um.... I just.... don't get it. I will watch them, I guess they are a bit cute? Maybe? but..... (insert scratching head icon thingy here)

iMACTASTIC
Sep 11, 2008, 09:17 PM
watching Bill Gates shake his ass sucked. Im still feeling a little uneasy. Seinfeld is a douche

chadabshier
Sep 11, 2008, 09:18 PM
These ads are total junk.

Flowbee
Sep 11, 2008, 09:20 PM
It was way too long for my tastes... And it made them kind of look like jerks. Staying at someone's house and complaining about the food? Classy.

Clayne
Very clever Microsoft, verrry clever...

arn
It was way too long for my tastes... And it made them kind of look like jerks.

yeah, this would be much better as a 30 second ad. maybe. I only watched the 4 minute 30 s one.

arn

pianoman
Sep 11, 2008, 09:21 PM
i think they're funny. i find it amusing to see two well-known, accomplished men goof off. sure, it has nothing to do with computers, but it's fun.

JML42691
Sep 11, 2008, 09:21 PM
I just don't get it, it sucks as an ad and in my opinion it is just too long, and this is not Seinfeld material at all, at least Bill didn't shake his ass in this one.

gcmexico
Sep 11, 2008, 09:22 PM
way better than the first one!

Rychy
Sep 11, 2008, 09:22 PM
You know what.... I actually kind of enjoyed that. And I get where they're going with this.

phinnaeus
Sep 11, 2008, 09:23 PM
I'm not going to hate on this ad because it is apparently cool to do so.

I don't get any sort of "buy windows" vibe, but honestly, I thought it was pretty funny. Seriously, just looking at is as some sort of skit that has nothing to do with Microsoft or Seinfeld. I dunno what I'm trying to say here. It is funny to see two people from such an upper crust interacting like that.

DotComCTO
Sep 11, 2008, 09:23 PM
Lamest...commercial...evar.

:apple:

--DotComCTO

jbernie
Sep 11, 2008, 09:24 PM
i think they're funny. i find it amusing to see two well-known, accomplished men goof off. sure, it has nothing to do with computers, but it's fun.

Exactly! I had a good laugh at it. Apparently because it isn't an Apple ad people check their sense of humour at the door.

Yeah, 4mins 30seconds is long, but there is no way the full version would play on tv, it would have to be infomercial.

macintel4me
Sep 11, 2008, 09:24 PM
Wow. This could get painful.

twoodcc
Sep 11, 2008, 09:25 PM
wow, that was lame

KompleX
Sep 11, 2008, 09:25 PM
i don't like this type of comedy where adults act like dumb kids. it reminds me too much of the stale show friends.

08mxkfx
Sep 11, 2008, 09:26 PM
wow after seeing that im going to get rid of my iMac and get a Windows PC :rolleyes:

KingYaba
Sep 11, 2008, 09:27 PM
This ad was better.

whatever
Sep 11, 2008, 09:27 PM
The funniest part of the commercial is the fact that if you go to Microsoft's website to watch it, you see it in Flash, not Silverlight.

MacProFCP
Sep 11, 2008, 09:28 PM
I enjoyed them both. I think they are funny and somewhat goofy in a good way. I like that it's more of a running sitcom than different ads like Apple. Not to say that Apple's ads aren't genius, but these are funny and original! If only Microsoft would spend so much energy on their products and they do on their ads!

JB413
Makes more sense then the last one. The "Commercial about Nothing" still doesn't make me want to get a PC..... ever

halhiker
I'm sorry. Is this supposed to be funny?

gregarious119
Sep 11, 2008, 09:29 PM
This isn't an ad - it's a MINI SERIES. If M$ can't get their point across in 30 seconds...it's not worth watching.

This commercial is just like every other product...
filled with BLOATware

sparkomatic
Sep 11, 2008, 09:31 PM
I thought the first one was dumb but actually enjoyed this one. Maybe it was the catchy music? Maybe it's cause...gulp...I used to be a PC guy before I became a mac guy...

gwerhart0800
Can I assume that they are paying Seinfeld a huge amount of money to be in these commercials? They seem to follow the Seinfeld show theme of a show about ... nothing.

AtHomeBoy_2000
Microsoft, can I have the $300 million you are spending on this ad campaign? I can put it to far better use than what you are using it for.

Mac Me Up
I'm a Mac fan and I thought the ad was awesome. I don't think Microsoft is trying to sell Vista, they're trying to say "Hey we're not a mean multi-national corporation that crushes our competition. We're just loveable geeks".

For me at least it works...I can't wait to see more! :D

monke
Once again, Microsoft has managed to hit negative numbers on the accomplishment scale.

Did they even mention Windows? You know, with voice, not with text. Heck, I've seen better infomercials that are better then these ads. :rolleyes:

stevearm
Sep 11, 2008, 09:32 PM

I agree, I liked it. Pretty cool.

Better than doing the same commercial for 5 years like :apple:

IDANNY
It was funny dont get what it has to do with computers at all. It seems like it will get summed up in the end though kinda of a weird way to market a product.

chairguru22
It was a nice skit. Has more substance than iPods floating around IMO.

Ntombi
It was way too long for my tastes... And it made them kind of look like jerks. Staying at someone's house and complaining about the food? Classy.
That's how I felt watching it. It made them look more out of touch, not less, IMO.

I didn't really have a feeling (or give a damn) about how "out of touch" they were to begin with. Now I do.

italiano40
is the writers of these ads smoking something, they confuse me so much, expect i kinda get this one

hotshotharry
Sep 11, 2008, 09:33 PM
LOL ok so I just walked in the door and the whole MS ad caught me off guard so i entered into watching it without any preconceived ideas!!!

Honestly i thought it was a bit silly and kinda funny. I found myself saying what the heck lol

Its fairly obvious they are not trying to sell anything or even advertise anything other than link happy thoughts of kids, Gerry, and Bill with the MS logo!!

ie when they were filling the pool, "how long does it get's warm?" ... it never gets warm ! LOL

No vista, no windows, no computers, no frustration LOL ....

I really didn't mind it! much better than the first one ...

stevearm
This isn't an ad - it's a MINI SERIES. If M$ can't get their point across in 30 seconds...it's not worth watching.

This commercial is just like every other product...
filled with BLOATware

So what if it's a mini series?

They don't need to 'get their point across'. They're used by 95% of the planet.

Can I assume that they are paying Seinfeld a huge amount of money to be in these commercials? They seem to follow the Seinfeld show theme of a show about ... nothing.

You missed the first thread about the first commercial. They are paying him $10 million

supmango
I thought the first one was dumb but actually enjoyed this one. Maybe it was the catchy music? Maybe it's cause...gulp...I used to be a PC guy before I became a mac guy...

This one was actually kinda funny. I still don't quite understand the point; which is confusing because if they were to spend this much money on long ad slots like this, you would think people would be able to take away some useful information.

drakeshipway
the old woman is funny. that's it.
what is this about again?

Full of Win
The point of this commercial is ____________________.

Can some one fill in the blank for me on this?

miketcool
Sep 11, 2008, 09:34 PM
I do not think I can really comment on the funniness of this ad as many of the events were recycled Seinfeld shows, rendering it somewhat pathetic for me. Ironically, if you haven't seen the show, maybe this is funny to a newer generation, or one that missed the 90's entirely.

I will say, the entire point of that episode to show MS working toward better understanding people is a noble advertising try. 4:30 is a bit long for that message, methinks. Viral bound, perhaps. I will say that Gates did a better job acting then Seinfeld did. His character was grossly out of place with the personas exhibited by the other people. Anyone else felt that the dad mentioning the ages of things on several occasions to get the point across that things have been around awhile was annoying?

ggbrown
Sep 11, 2008, 09:34 PM
The Ad industry has been around for-EVAR...and 4:30 for a commercial is just too long. It's a COMMERCIAL Jerry, not a Sitcom!!!

Now that I think of it....doesn't it take 4:30 to reboot after the BSOD?

G

queshy
Sep 11, 2008, 09:35 PM
All I have to say is "huh?"

LloydBraun89
Sep 11, 2008, 09:36 PM
this one was more enjoyable. i find it funny that the last ad garnered more comments and ratings than the release of any big apple product release such as the iphone.

serpico
Sep 11, 2008, 09:36 PM
Hmm, I didn't even smile watching this ad. Why is Microsoft even doing this? Waste of cash that could have been better invested into Vista ads. At least they could try promoting that OS. I don't know anyone who uses Vista, it's becoming the next Windows ME.

Tulse
Sep 11, 2008, 09:37 PM
I don't think Microsoft is trying to sell Vista, they're trying to say "Hey we're not a mean multi-national corporation that crushes our competition. We're just loveable geeks".

If that's the message, why make explicit that both men are unimaginably wealthy? Why an ad whose whole point is that Bill is so out-of touch with regular people that he has to find a family to study?

Funny or not, the whole message is very weird.

CompUSAMacNerd
I saw a lot of symbolism in there.

The Giraffe was perhaps an operating system that was 'stolen'? Hmmm? At least it came across that way to me. Maybe it's a lot of historical references being very satire like?

I think they are taking playful stabs at Apple, seeing if anyone will catch on.

dvince2
You know, as strange as this is, I think these adds may work.

Remember that Microsoft is seen as the faceless, monopolistic company with only money in mind. The apple commercials were a success not because of pointing out the flaws in Windows compared to OS X, but because of Hodgman and Long's ability to personify what the general public felt about both Apple and Microsoft.
These adds aren't so much aimed at selling Vista or Office, but aimed as pitching Microsoft as a personable company. I for one don't buy microsoft products just on the principle that they seem like a faceless company. These adds give them a face and a character.

People are going to see Bill Gates and Jerry, and suddenly John Hodgman seems as obsolete as a beige PC tower.

Edit: What Mac Me Up said.

j-a-x
Sep 11, 2008, 09:38 PM
Man this ad is long and boring...

reno
I think eventually these will go down in history as some of the worst commercials ever made ... and it could also mark the official end of the career of Jerry Seinfeld who was once very original and funny (or maybe it really was all Larry David).

caliguy
I think Microsoft is taking the Napoleon Dynamite approach. Make something stupid, people will talk about it, think about it... buy it?

nsbio
Sep 11, 2008, 09:39 PM
The next one will be 10 minutes long and will feature both of them going to a public restroom.

puckhead193
can i have those 4 and a half minutes of my life back. The first was decent but this was just crap

miketcool
I saw a lot of symbolism in there.

The Giraffe was perhaps an operating system that was 'stolen'? Hmmm? At least it came across that way to me. Maybe it's a lot of historical references being very satire like?

I think they are taking playful stabs at Apple, seeing if anyone will catch on.

The giraffe was a blatant reference to the Seinfeld episode "The Statue".

MattG
Sep 11, 2008, 09:41 PM
I don't get it, I mean these are just awful. And it's not a Mac fanboy thing...even the Windows-guys at work were saying the other day how stupid these commercials are. Microsoft just doesn't get it.

bbydon
Sep 11, 2008, 09:41 PM
So not only do they not relate to real people... they rip off the chinese food and get caught stealing....

How is this good for windows again?

Freecity88
Sep 11, 2008, 09:43 PM
It's getting interesting but I still didn't get it

sparkleytone
I like the ads. They are purposefully about anything but software and I think that's brilliant. Microsoft doesn't need to advertise to sell more copies of Windows, they need to advertise to fix their image.

dizastor
this one was actually funny.

I suppose the pairing of bill gates with jerry seinfeld will eventually make bill likable by default.

They're starting to remind me of a bizarre laurel and hardy.

Oh, and lest we forget... Seinfeld was a "show about nothing"

akakillroy
What a waist of 4 min, I could have had a V8! 6MIL for those. Jerry took them for a ride!

I find it very interesting that on the episodes of Seinfield Jerry owned a Mac ;-) Don't believe it, watch some old reruns with his apartment, look on his desk ;-)

iphonics
Sep 11, 2008, 09:44 PM
you people dont get it... these commercials arent your typical 'Buy Me!' commercials they're on a whole different level... the way i see it... is that they are using these '2 accomplished people' to get the word out about microsoft. everyone knows seinfield... and now soon everyone will know bill gates (if they dont already), and in the end everyone will know Microsoft. I think the ads are awsome!! sure beats those apple ads with a bunch of fruity dancers and rainbow colors... can you say epilepsy!? and for those that hate these ads soo much... dont watch them..simple as that! i hate reading comments like 'worst ad evar' ... you're the worst evaarr! microsoft rules!

musicaleuphoria
Sep 11, 2008, 09:44 PM
I just died a little bit.

Geek 2.0
Sep 11, 2008, 09:45 PM
They have their entertaining moments, but they need to learn... NO ONE wants a 4 and a half minute ad! i thought the first one was too long... but this is ridiculous! I mean, even if there are shorter ones, they probably wouldn't make any sense unless you've seen the others! Short and sweet wins it. They need to think of every ad as a fresh start, not a continuation.

Merkuryy
Sep 11, 2008, 09:46 PM
Why couldn't we have more? After all, M$ is the best friend of AAPL besides Google :D

chrisdazzo
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that:
1. Didn't laugh once at that ad
2. Didn't get what the heck it was about
3. Didn't understand why the ad was ever aired.

Microsoft... What's going on?

Michael CM1
I gave up after about 70 seconds. When it started to look like "The Real World," I wanted to gag.

Why am I supposed to want to buy Windows or anything else Microsoft makes after this? At least the stupid-ass car commercials that are extremely over the top show the vehicle (I'm talking to you, Mr. Truck that drives between two flying steel beams like an idiot). The Mac vs. PC commercials from Apple consistently make claims at why people should buy a Mac instead of a PC. MS could've done better by just copying a beer commercial. You know, put a couple of bikini models next to a Dell laptop or something.

dwsolberg
Sep 11, 2008, 09:48 PM
I have no real opinion. I watched the whole thing, and I was oddly mesmerized. Some parts were funny; some were not. It reminded me a little bit of a indie movie short, except the three-second commercial at the end.

mark!
Sep 11, 2008, 09:48 PM
In a way I kind of like these ads...when I watched the first one I thought "what's the point? what are they selling??? what are they talking about??? :confused::confused:". But I think showing these Bill and Seinfeld lightens up Microsoft's image of being this big tyrant among the software/computer world by showing that some billionaire like Bill (which in these ads obviously represent microsoft) can be wholesome, average citizens, relating more to the consumers. These Microsoft ads, I think, will end up being better for Microsoft than Apple's ads are for Apple; instead of Microsoft attacking the opponent they are relating to consumers, whereas Apple is just attempting to dumb down their opponent's public image. These words don't represent very well what the big picture is of these ads in my head, but I tried. :o

akakillroy
Sep 11, 2008, 09:49 PM
you people dont get it... these commercials arent your typical 'Buy Me!' commercials they're on a whole different level... the way i see it... is that they are using these '2 accomplished people' to get the word out about microsoft. everyone knows seinfield... and now soon everyone will know bill gates (if they dont already), and in the end everyone will know Microsoft. I think the ads are awsome!! sure beats those apple ads with a bunch of fruity dancers and rainbow colors... can you say epilepsy!? and for those that hate these ads soo much... dont watch them..simple as that! i hate reading comments like 'worst ad evar' ... you're the worst evaarr! microsoft rules!

How did this MS lover get in here LOL, Just heckling you. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, so just go with the flow man, don;t take things so seriously.

blindzero
Sep 11, 2008, 09:50 PM
first one sucked...this one's funny.

I love:
1:25

fleshman03
Sep 11, 2008, 09:52 PM
watching Bill Gates shake his ass sucked. Im still feeling a little uneasy. Seinfeld is a douche

The ass shaking was the best part of the other commercial.

You know what.... I actually kind of enjoyed that. And I get where they're going with this.

And that would be where???

Wow. This could get painful.

wow, that was lame

wow after seeing that im going to get rid of my iMac and get a Windows PC :rolleyes:

I guess M$ finally got the "Wow Started Now."

Seriously, I only find references to Mac and PC if I try really really hard. Why would you want that in a commercial for mass consumption? Much like M$, it really leaves the user dumbfounded.

Wow.

Clayne
Sep 11, 2008, 09:53 PM
They're working to be unconventional for once. They don't need to throw logos around and repeat product names. The faces in the commercial are known nationally. That's all they need.

These ads will accomplish what Microsoft wants them to accomplish.

MartiNZ
Sep 11, 2008, 09:54 PM
Enjoyable stuff. Sure it could be more about promoting Windows, but I really like the fact that it isn't. It is thinking so different (irony) from the blatant attack Mac vs PC ads, and that's really refreshing.

It also makes one want to see more. I've always liked ads that form series, and of course liked Seinfeld, so this just can't be bad!

fad1
Sep 11, 2008, 09:54 PM
I thought it was much better than the first one. I am getting an idea of where they are going with this, but at least this ad wah MUCH BETTER than the first one.Bill Gates doing the Robot LOL

kjs862
Sep 11, 2008, 09:55 PM
I liked it. It is long and as someone else said, it's sort of like a mini series. Sort of like how I'm a mac and I'm a pc ads are a series. I think these ads will catch on if they keep airing them, just like how the macs ads caught on and now that pc guy is a celeb.

mdodd
This series is a waste of money. Seriously.

Vulcan
Horrid. Simply horrid.

reno
My interpretation is ... Microsoft has had the cold, all-business, all-nerd like reputation for years ... they are trying to break out of that. They are doing what they always basically do -- copy Apple, who certainly has had a hip feel for many years. And just like they always do, Microsoft can't even make a proper copy! Mainly because they really aren't cool, so it's like trying to fit the proverbial round peg in a square hole. The closest they came to this in any of these ads so far is when Bill flashes his shoe member card and you see a picture of him in his 20s with the long hair and big glasses (a real picture, BTW). This was the only moment that had any real honesty or any real humor in it. Maybe they should've based the commercials on reality instead of this fake BS ... such as, yes I'm Bill Gates and I'm a big awkward nerd, but we've made some good stuff over the years and will do even better in the future (which I doubt, but this is marketing anyway). Instead, they are trying to add the cool factor simply by bringing in Jerry Seinfeld and having him do his "Seinfeld" thing. But even that schtick feels old now and it certainly doesn't work in these commercials. It's like saying chocolate makes anything good. So let's add some chocolate to this **** pie, it will be delicious ... it ain't gonna to work!

idiosyncratic i
I found this one much improved over the first. There were actually a couple of parts where I was in danger of laughing. That said, if the point of the ad is to humanize Microsoft through Gates and Seinfeld, it fails completely. Those two come off as so out of touch, and above you're average person that they just seem like jerks. I don't think it's a good idea to hire a man whose whole show was about how self centered and jerky he was to help improve your image. Seinfeld makes for an amusing sitcom character, but a pretty terrible spokesman.

Minority_taxi
Sep 11, 2008, 09:56 PM
Man, i think i fell asleep through that ad. It tries too hard, just like Microsoft.

Cc.

match311
Sep 11, 2008, 09:57 PM
Can't believe I am saying this, but... I was amused and I enjoyed the entire commercial. Maybe its because I still like Seinfeld's humor?

bindle
i thought this one was funny. and i think this "series" works as a series. didn't really make much sense as individual ads on tv though.

Lesser Evets
This ad sums up Windows fairly well -

• Bloated content
• Moves in and disrupts life
• Distasteful
• Doesn't help particularly well
• Looks shabby
• Turgid and aloof
• Packs up when the going gets tough
• Lingers too long
• Costs too much
• Slow

The daughter that framed them should have been holding an iPod Nano.
In pink.
And laughing at their loafy, sluggish asses.

atomoboy
Do you just ever watch something and say WTF? God bless 'em. They are trying. I don't know what's more annoying, the fat guy and smug dude in jeans or these bits of tripe. Both are examples or monsterously wealthy companies trying to make computers hip and relevant.

Computers are tools... sort of describes those who made the ads and those of use who loiter around a site dedicated to the afore mentioned.

shizzlegtx
Theres some serious hate going on.

I bet if that was Steve Jobs and not Bill Gates you guys would be saying this was genius material.

IAmHeAsYouAreHe
Sep 11, 2008, 09:58 PM
I think this might be one of those ads that are designed to only solidify consumer loyalty/satisfaction, hoping to prevent windows migration to mac. That weird anti-buyer's remorse approach. I bet they don't think they can ever convert a current mac user, but they can artificially add a little personality to their permanently unimaginative image. But wow that's a crazy expensive campaign. They'd have to be real scared... Still, you gotta mention your product too, right? It must the beginning of a very protracted narrative...

But I have to say, whenever I have to help my boyfriend with something on his Dell, I get enraged with frustration, so I hope the campaign of faux-re-branded "change we can believe in" fails. Hmm...the parallels are eerie...

swingerofbirch
Sep 11, 2008, 09:59 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatre_of_the_Absurd

zim
Sep 11, 2008, 09:59 PM
Ads about nothing. Isn't that the concept that George and Seinfeld were working on in the TV show, a series about nothing. I find nothing funny about them, they don't even catch my attention, which I thought was what an ad was suppose to do.

crees!
Sep 11, 2008, 10:00 PM
The funniest part of the commercial is the fact that if you go to Microsoft's website to watch it, you see it in Flash, not Silverlight.

Yeah, they haven't figured that part out yet. Too busy with commercials.

Glideslope
Sep 11, 2008, 10:00 PM
i thought this one was funny. and i think this "series" works as a series. didn't really make much sense as individual ads on tv though.

Never work. Americans can't think in series. Only 15 sec spots work.

Jerry's agent deserves a Golden Globe for setting this up.

Balmer is sweating through his shirts again. :cool:

Small White Car
Sep 11, 2008, 10:01 PM
I always suspected that most of the people around here were humorless blobs.

This was really good and quite funny. The utter indifference I'm seeing here is really sad.

Oh, it won't sell any copies of Windows! Don't get me wrong. It's a terrible ad, but it's a very funny video.

(My favorite part is the continued theme of "Microsoft has awesome tech that they aren't selling...for some reason." The whole "we're idiots" part of THAT message is great! Like I said, bad ad. But funny video!)

canucksfan88
Sep 11, 2008, 10:02 PM
they are okay i guess.

im an avid mac user, but i just wonder, if it was jobs in it instead of gates, would everyone be saying its hilarious and awesome?

Slogan
I think they make okay viewing. Gates is actually pretty funny but the majority here will be too blind to it for obvious reasons.

As for actual marketing, I just don't get it. I don't think there's much actual point behind them but so long as I'm not the one paying Jerry Seinfeld I don't so much care.

Lesser Evets
Theres some serious hate going on.

I bet if that was Steve Jobs and not Bill Gates you guys would be saying this was genius material.

Not a chance in hell.

The difference is that Steve Jobs would never have the lack of sense to make something this awful. His ads all reflect a keen sensibility to pique interest with a viewer, and then shut the hell up. These ads are... geriatric and self serving to Bill's ego. They make me want to take Nyquil and wake up much later after the horror of these images has passed and the world is fresh and new.

walkaboutkiwi
Sep 11, 2008, 10:03 PM
This may sound like a cheap shot, but, this is what happens when you use Windows Movie maker as suppose to iMovie. Oh yeah, any chance of getting my 4 mind back MS?? :p

zap2
More Seinfeld....I love...lots like the show!

But yea, very little to do with Vista/MS in general

Phrasikleia
I'm a Mac fan and I thought the ad was awesome. I don't think Microsoft is trying to sell Vista, they're trying to say "Hey we're not a mean multi-national corporation that crushes our competition. We're just loveable geeks".

I think you've summarized its pitch pretty well. These ads are less about specific M$ products than they are about its corporate identity.

If that's the message, why make explicit that both men are unimaginably wealthy? Why an ad whose whole point is that Bill is so out-of touch with regular people that he has to find a family to study?

To begin with, it would be completely disingenuous to paint these two as entirely "ordinary people", so the reference to their wealth lends the commercial some frankness and honesty (good characteristics to try to attach to Microsoft's image). But more importantly, making their great wealth explicit in the commercial has the added benefit of implicitly connecting that kind of success with the use of Microsoft products.

I love Macs and have since 1986, but I have to say I think these M$ commercials are brilliant.

panzer06
Sep 11, 2008, 10:04 PM
The point of this commercial is ___nothing_________________.

:confused:

r.j.s
I'm guessing the next one will run at least 7:00 min. What a steaming pile of ... I want my money back.

kasei
WTF? You've got to be kidding me. They paid all of that money for those commercials. Gates and his zombies are so out of touch.

Bodie
Sep 11, 2008, 10:06 PM
Stoopid & foolish.

shizzlegtx
Sep 11, 2008, 10:08 PM
Not a chance in hell.

The difference is that Steve Jobs would never have the lack of sense to make something this awful. His ads all reflect a keen sensibility to pique interest with a viewer, and then shut the hell up. These ads are... geriatric and self serving to Bill's ego. They make me want to take Nyquil and wake up much later after the horror of these images has passed and the world is fresh and new.

See, there you go. Your hanging on Jobs' jock strap! I mean, your saying, "Steve wouldn't do that, because Steve is SOOO smart, and Bill Gates is a STUPID! NANANANA"

It's not Apple nor Microsoft that "make" these ads anyway. And be honest, those Apple ads aren't the least bit smug? Pretentious? And they've been it to a dead horse that Vista "sucks" and Macs are cool and for college students!

I love Seinfeld. It's my favorite show ever. And these ads are almost like a little piece of the show is back. If they bring Jason Alexander into it, i'll **** myself.

andreab35
Sep 11, 2008, 10:08 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I just do not get these commercials... period.

I mean, if Microsoft likes to make 5 minute ads we don't understand... let them.

Put those millions of dollars in advertising to charity Bill.

solipsism
Sep 11, 2008, 10:09 PM

I doubt we'll be in the majority on this forum, but I really enjoyed this one. It's not swaying me to like Vista or MS, but it does show Gates in a positive and amusing way. If that is there goal then I think they did it.

gkarris
Sep 11, 2008, 10:11 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

Soooo, using a PC is like living with a dysfunctional family???

Mykbibby
Sep 11, 2008, 10:11 PM
Loved it. Congratulations Microsoft.

For all the Apple fans who are automatically thinking its terrible, remember that everyone does good sometimes.

And for all the Apple fans who think I'm anti-apple... I have a Mac blog, and hated the first ad.

Rivix
Sep 11, 2008, 10:12 PM
I liked it. Most of the negative comments don't surprise me. It gives Microsoft some character, and thats what people have been bitching for for years. Its not a hard marketing buy vista now campaign.

mizzoucat
Sep 11, 2008, 10:13 PM
The reason most people don't like these ads is because they are simply too lazy/stupid to figure out what is going on. If you understand them, they're great.

compuguy1088
Apparently, Microsoft is uploading these ads onto vimeo, inlluding the most recent one:
http://vimeo.com/windowsvideos

It's better quality than youtube, as well as the removing of the severe bandwidth issues that youtube constantly has.

Anyway, the ad really didn't per say advertise anything ("the ad about nothing"). It was kind of funny...

TomTomGPS
Well then again many of the Mac vs PC commercials make Macs seem pretty elitist.

I like how this ad is more developed than the first, but I think it still just leads to "Um, what did that have to do with Microsoft?"

foodle
I actually thought the first one was funnier. The ads do a good job of humanizing Gates, but it's unclear what that does for Microsoft as a company, especially as he scales back his day-to-day role there.

heron88
Sep 11, 2008, 10:16 PM
I think that was great. Just because its made by microsoft doesnt mean it automatically "sucks". Personally I think they are much better thought out and done then the mac ads.

domain
Initially after the first ad, I suspect that they could only possibly be enjoyable while intoxicated...

However, having tested this theory on the second ad, I find it making even less of an impact then the first. The only positive thing about the entire ad was Grandma...

Perhaps if she were in charge of Windows, something good would actually come out of it :p

mugen76
is it over yet?

pokoleo
Sep 11, 2008, 10:18 PM
If you follow the link in the article to microsoft.com, and you click a link at the bottom (say, gaming for everyone), safari sends a message that I a missing windows media player. Don't you think that their target audience would be for people that are either on macs, or switching to macs. Why would they limit the videos on the page to only "windows video player" enabled browsers, and not to the one that a beginning person on a brand new mac would use.

They are limiting how far their message goes, therefore cutting the people in their target audience in half.

I don't know about you guys, but I am not going to download windows media player for my mac... it's one of the reasons that I switched.

Additionally: having Seinfield in the ad doesn't make it funny automatically, and having them talk about him distracts from the ad.

Phrasikleia
Sep 11, 2008, 10:19 PM
I actually thought the first one was funnier. The ads do a good job of humanizing Gates, but it's unclear what that does for Microsoft as a company, especially as he scales back his day-to-day role there.

Gates will be synonymous with Microsoft for at least the next decade, probably longer.

acvball92
i liked it, it made me laugh a little
and like somebody said I can see where they're going with this
very clever

Small White Car
If you follow the link in the article to microsoft.com, and you click a link at the bottom (say, gaming for everyone), safari sends a message that I a missing windows media player. Don't you think that their target audience would be for people that are either on macs, or switching to macs. Why would they limit the videos on the page to only "windows video player" enabled browsers, and not to the one that a beginning person on a brand new mac would use.

They are limiting how far their message goes, therefore cutting the people in their target audience in half.

I don't know about you guys, but I am not going to download windows media player for my mac... it's one of the reasons that I switched.

When I went to Microsoft.com it played as a flash video.

Where, exactly, did you see this?

speg
Haha, I really like these ads. Maybe because I'm such a Seinfeld fan. Either way I'm not going to let my Apple bias get in the way, you guys should try it.

It'd be interesting to see how different this community would react if these were Apple ads featuring Steve.

akira2501
Sep 11, 2008, 10:20 PM
Thats all that this is. Vista was such a failure that they are trying to wash it away in utterly confusing commercials. Eventually when 7 comes out, you would have forgotten vista altogether.

heron88
pokeleo

umm doesnt apple make you download quicktime to watch their "mac ads"? arent they targeting vista users who are on windows? Your argument goes both ways pal

TomTomGPS
Haha, I really like these ads. Maybe because I'm such a Seinfeld fan. Either way I'm not going to let my Apple bias get in the way, you guys should try it.

It'd be interesting to see how different this community would react if these were Apple ads featuring Steve.
Haha, very true.

pokoleo
When I went to Microsoft.com it played as a flash video.

Where, exactly, did you see this?

there are four buttons at the bottom, click any of them...

Might I add that the page is exactly formatted for my (large) iMac monitor, and when the window is made smaller, the window remains formatted for an iMac sized screen, not for the window... (just a comment)

xwing1971
Sep 11, 2008, 10:21 PM
Hey, they are funny. A bit. Okay, I like Seinfeld in most anything. Will it cause me to switch. Nah! Sorry Bill. It's not the ads that get people to switch. It's making a half decent operating system. Have you seen a Mac, Bill? They actually work. When you plug a printer onto the network, it assumes that hey, you may want to connect your computer to it without reading every manual known to man. Ease of use, Bill. Find out what people actually do with computers, make it easy and fun, and you'll get people coming back to Windows. You'd think you would've figured that out, they way you guys copy Apple so much. Geez!

solipsism
Sep 11, 2008, 10:21 PM

They are just starting, but I there goal so far is to humanize Gates. I wonder if the whole series is not about directly selling Vista, but fixing the company's image. Starting with the MS' "poster child" is a smart move.

Small White Car
Sep 11, 2008, 10:23 PM
there are four buttons at the bottom, click any of them...

Might I add that the page is exactly formatted for my (large) iMac monitor, and when the window is made smaller, the window remains formatted for an iMac sized screen, not for the window... (just a comment)

Well, those aren't the Seinfeld videos. The one with Bill and Jerry aren't in Windows Media format. But if you did want to watch those other ads, why don't you have the Flip4Mac plugin?

binaryskies
Sep 11, 2008, 10:24 PM
First response: wtf..

I thought the ad was entertaining but a bit to long. Just like the first one, I didn't pick up anything computer related until they were walking out of the house at the end before the robot.

tomsem
Sep 11, 2008, 10:24 PM
Maybe they are experimenting with some kind of subliminal thing and when Bill Gates "adjusts" or does the robot that is the trigger.

Seriously though, they have had that stodgy out of touch image for a long time and hiring a well known actor for much money in a well know deal and going through the motions in ads shouldn't change too many peoples minds. In the end, you are still going to have to use the product the company sells. The ads may provide some entertainment value, but it won't make Vista any better.

Wolffie
Sep 11, 2008, 10:27 PM
Bill needs some robot-action lessons.

There is a scene when the boy is playing something on a computer, he asks, "WOW! When does this come out?"

Bill responds, " Never! And if anyone asks you don't know where it came from."*

Not something I think you want to put in your ad if you are tryin to change the perception of your product.

*I maybe not correct in the exact in the quote, but I'm not going to re-watch it for clarification.

I wonder if Microsoft is trying to produce something like Joss Whedon did with Dr. Horrible Sing-along Blog.
WATCH! (http://www.drhorrible.com)

pokoleo
Sep 11, 2008, 10:28 PM
Well, those aren't the Seinfeld videos. The one with Bill and Jerry aren't in Windows Media format. But if you did want to watch those other ads, why don't you have the Flip4Mac plugin?

Long story short, I don't like Windows Movie Player (It has to do with the quality and stuff of the files)

lakaiordie
Sep 11, 2008, 10:29 PM
i like that Bill is in the commercials.

something Jobs would never do.

i thought it was funny also.

benspratling
Sep 11, 2008, 10:30 PM
So now we know, Bill Gates did write some good program, but it's never going to be sold.

thisrocks
I enjoyed them both. I think they are funny and somewhat goofy in a good way. I like that it's more of a running sitcom than different ads like Apple. Not to say that Apple's ads aren't genius, but these are funny and original! If only Microsoft would spend so much energy on their products and they do on their ads!

Apple ads..genius? I don't know a single microsoft user that looks like the guy in the clip, nor a serious single Apple user that looks like the guy in the clip. Many people say I look like what's his face, Mr Mac, and I'm a hardcore COMPUTER user.

Apple's are easy, PC's are easy. I don't like the mac ads at all, none of them. Apple have so much more class than that kind of ad, but eh they're smart in that they're appeasing their yuppy crowd that actually watch TV. That's because there is no need to target the creative, and upper class, that use Mac for its obvious benefits because they dropped TV years ago. Market Research is a blessing and a curse.

I don't think these Microsoft ads are anything to do with Vista, and the theme is clearly becoming apparent. Common people use PCs, not yuppies, not the upper class that don't watch tv. Common people have problems with PCs because they aren't techies (just like myself, which don't experience these so called "issues") Microsoft needs to get back on their side because they are turning to Apple thanks to it's Yuppy assault (which hits common people as they watch TV more than anyone because it's the cheapest form of entertainment.) and cheaper solutions (iMac, and Apple Mini)

I'm positive that Microsoft's next offering will be completely in touch with the common user, it will most likely be staggered in different forms and they'll probably learn from
a) APPLE!
b) Vista - People don't want 100000 different versions of an operating system
c) No one wants to pay $100000 for an operating system
d) Tech users, and tech users only want good control over their operating system

I see microsoft releasing 3 versions of their next O/S. Home (Which will incorporate things mentioned in this ad), Business, Power/Ultimate (Both)

Ohhh..and, I love this ad, and the other one. Seinfeld is one of my favourite comedians and they've done a great job of this (everything I mentioned above). Obviously it's not going to air as one big commercial, 1.5 minutes is a long ad, not 4.5. They'll cut it up, you guys are all creative right...? That should have been easy to spot.

Plus come on..what common person DOESN'T relate to Seinfeld.

DMann
Lamest...commercial...evar.

:apple:

--DotComCTO

First one was far superior, which is not saying much at all...............
Utterly pathetic.

nagromme
Sep 11, 2008, 10:31 PM
Amusing but 5x too long (like a Saturday Night Live skit).

Very clever though. Mostly just brand awareness: "Microsoft exists--don't forget! And this guy used to run it by the way." In these days when PCs and Windows are all but forgotten, it's important just to remember that Microsoft exists still, and has money to spend on ads.

Then, at the end, they cut to the meat of the message: "Microsoft has impractical ideas for the future that will never succeed but we can talk about them now anyway."

Most brilliant of all: instead of reinforcing the Windows brand, they reinforce the term "PC." A good way to remind people of the Mac vs. PC ads.

Also remember, Microsoft ads, like Apple ads are not targeted at people who already love their OS. Nor are they targeted at people who are fixated on the competitor's OS. They are targeted at the non-tech-savvy masses in the middle who could be swayed either way (and who probably aren't a big segment of this forum's membership).

inkswamp
Sep 11, 2008, 10:32 PM
This was much better than the first one--which isn't saying much really but I actually laughed at this one and it didn't seem so contrived. I'm still not sure I understand the marketing tactics at work here. There's almost no mention of the product it's supposed to be selling, but whatever. I'm not a marketing person so maybe this is beyond me.

You know, me--a non-Windows users, i.e., someone these ads should be reaching in some way, I assume.

bobertoq
It was definitely funny :D but I still don't see how this is promoting Microsoft or Windows in any way. An ad is meant to be something promoting a product. In no way are these commercials doing that... Well neither do some of the Mac commercials... But that's not the point.

So not only do they not relate to real people... they rip off the chinese food and get caught stealing....

How is this good for windows again?

I see symbolism here.. this is a hidden message I would not want to send if I am them.

they not relate to real people - complaints about Vista and they are trying the Mojave gimmick when I know people who say that SP1 improved some things, but it still has stability issues.

they rip off the chinese food - For years people have been suggesting that they have ripped off ideas from other companies and marketted them as their own innovation.

get caught stealing - won't even bring up the lawsuits, but look at the fact MS implements technology into Windows a year or 2 after it already exists in OS X.

nitewolfgtr
Hmm... Aren't commercials suppose to make you more intelligent??? Why can't I stop feeling that I just feel dummer by the minute...

vvebsta
Sep 11, 2008, 10:33 PM
Hey, they are funny. A bit. Okay, I like Seinfeld in most anything. Will it cause me to switch. Nah! Sorry Bill. It's not the ads that get people to switch. It's making a half decent operating system. Have you seen a Mac, Bill? They actually work. When you plug a printer onto the network, it assumes that hey, you may want to connect your computer to it without reading every manual known to man. Ease of use, Bill. Find out what people actually do with computers, make it easy and fun, and you'll get people coming back to Windows. You'd think you would've figured that out, they way you guys copy Apple so much. Geez!

Say it with me people...What we want, where we want, when we want!

I thought this one was ok. But has no connection to the first one. Its like it completely changed. Why does Seinfeld think Bill needs to connect with real people when Bill was trying on discount shoes at some hole in the wall shoe barn? Makes no sense!

Only JJ Abrams could save this series! But he's hardcore mac! :p

apelet
Sep 11, 2008, 10:34 PM
This is a brilliant ploy to turn the "I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" into the setup for a Microsoft ad campaign. They don't need to show a single computer or screenshot of Windows in any of these things. They just need you to remember the John Hodgman character.

The thing with these is that they're not trying to sell Windows. They're trying to make Microsoft look like they have a human face. But since they already have a face in Bill Gates, (which the John Hodgman turned into a bit of a buffoon), they needed to do something to fix how we see Bill Gates. These ads are all about giving the character of Bill Gates, and therefore Microsoft, depth. They are turning Microsoft into someone you can interact with and have a relationship with. You can have a fight with them without getting crushed, because they're not really a monopolizing corporation any more. They are Bill Gates who is buying shoes, collecting big top points, eating churros, staying in a room in your house, complaining about your food, and making you want to impress him with fancy mustard.

I don't know if this will sell more copies of Windows, but they're going to do a good job of countering the "I'm a Mac" ads. If Apple has any sense, then there's less than two months of life left in that series. I expect zero human characters in the next series of Mac ads.

Small White Car
Long story short, I don't like Windows Movie Player (It has to do with the quality and stuff of the files)

I know you don't like the player. That's why I suggested the quicktime plugin.

As for not liking the "stuff of the files," I'm afraid I can't respond since I have no clue what that means.

slappy sam
In a way I kind of like these ads...when I watched the first one I thought "what's the point? what are they selling??? what are they talking about??? :confused::confused:". But I think showing these Bill and Seinfeld lightens up Microsoft's image of being this big tyrant among the software/computer world by showing that some billionaire like Bill (which in these ads obviously represent microsoft) can be wholesome, average citizens, relating more to the consumers. These Microsoft ads, I think, will end up being better for Microsoft than Apple's ads are for Apple; instead of Microsoft attacking the opponent they are relating to consumers, whereas Apple is just attempting to dumb down their opponent's public image. These words don't represent very well what the big picture is of these ads in my head, but I tried. :o
+1

The mac ads are terrible, horrible ads. Some of them aren't even close to the truth either.

Plus, this was a lot more interesting/funny than watching two guys on a white background. For the 1000th time.

Small White Car
Sep 11, 2008, 10:35 PM
Hmm... Aren't commercials suppose to make you more intelligent???

Uhm, where on earth did you get THAT idea!?

sushi
Sep 11, 2008, 10:35 PM
This was definitely better than the first.

Long, but at least a bit funny in parts.

Not sure what the real message behind them is.

Fearless Leader
Sep 11, 2008, 10:36 PM
I must say i liked this one... more than the other that is. It actually almost made me think about computers but weighing in at 4 mins 30 secs I'd hardly call this an ad and if it was cut up I couldnt make any sense of it.

dudemac
Sep 11, 2008, 10:36 PM
Not sure where to really start? What are they selling. At least in the Mac Vs PC ads that Apple is running your not in the dark as to what is being talked about. I think it is really sad that most people probably have no idea who these two guys are anymore. Its not that they wouldn't recognize the names but they probably have no idea visually. I get where they are going with the ad, but is pretty abstract and I don't think that the average person has enough attention span to give this any though. The only feeling at the end is that of confusion and maybe the hope that some single cell creature might have a blog.
And if you can get past the whole abstract thing, then what else is there? Why would you choose a PC? or the better question why should you continue with the operating system that you currently have? These commercials just seem to solidify the fact that there really isn't anything great or special about using a PC or better than anything else out there.
Which leads to my next thought, why isn't seinfeld even a little bit funny? In fact the whole thing is not even sarcastic enough. Maybe that is the problem they should be talking more sarcastically. That why people can see why PC's currently rule the world? I just don't know. But I would only give it 2 out of 5 because it is too high level for the target market. But that is just he business in me. :)

thedude

DMann
Sep 11, 2008, 10:37 PM

Neither paying or tipping the delivery boy for food ordered? Being snipey with children in the family? Being disrespectful to family members? Hardly lovable.

Phrasikleia
Sep 11, 2008, 10:38 PM
Seriously though, they have had that stodgy out of touch image for a long time and hiring a well known actor for much money in a well know deal and going through the motions in ads shouldn't change too many peoples minds. In the end, you are still going to have to use the product the company sells. The ads may provide some entertainment value, but it won't make Vista any better.

It's been about since the 1940's that ads made really direct sales pitches regarding their products: "buy our soap and your dishes will be cleaner". By the 1950's or so, it was "buy our soap and you won't get dishpan hands" (while showing some immaculately dressed hottie housewife with a perfect manicure).

These ads are about identity. Increasingly, people buy into a product because they identify with it, and people simply were not identifying with *the* faceless money-grubbing monopolistic mega-corporation par excellence.

And, of course, it's also aimed at investors and the business community in the largest sense. So no, it's not "about" the products per se. It's about the corporate identity of Microsoft.

Flobber88
Sep 11, 2008, 10:39 PM
The point of this commercial is ____________________.

Sure its to 'engage consumers and spark a new conversation about Windows -– a conversation that will evolve as the campaign progresses, but will always be marked by humor and humanity.'

The first one I thought was lame, but I see what they are trying to do. Why advertise MS/Vista when everyone knows what it is. Sure they could make "Vista doesn't suck" ads to counter the Mac ads but wasn't that the whole point of the "Mojave Experiment"? And everyone here complained about those.

These ads are simply to give MS a new look, and I think its working to some degree, just after 2 ads.

DMann
Not sure where to really start? What are they selling. At least in the Mac Vs PC ads that Apple is running your not in the dark as to what is being talked about. I think it is really sad that most people probably have no idea who these two guys are anymore. Its not that they wouldn't recognize the names but they probably have no idea visually. I get where they are going with the ad, but is pretty abstract and I don't think that the average person has enough attention span to give this any though. The only feeling at the end is that of confusion and maybe the hope that some single cell creature might have a blog.
And if you can get past the whole abstract thing, then what else is there? Why would you choose a PC? or the better question why should you continue with the operating system that you currently have? These commercials just seem to solidify the fact that there really isn't anything great or special about using a PC or better than anything else out there.
Which leads to my next thought, why isn't seinfeld even a little bit funny? In fact the whole thing is not even sarcastic enough. Maybe that is the problem they should be talking more sarcastically. That why people can see why PC's currently rule the world? I just don't know. But I would only give it 2 out of 5 because it is too high level for the target market. But that is just he business in me. :)

thedude

In summary............ just like Vista.

macfan881
and still waiting to tell me how this wants me to get windows ? any one else with me?

ProwlingTiger
On a scale of 1-10, with 10 being best, I'd give this one a -50. This is good, however, compared to the last commercial's -60. Kudos M$, you're getting better!

Now if only your OS didn't completely suck....

Luigi193
It was sorta funny, funny seeing those two work together...

DMann
i like that Bill is in the commercials.

something Jobs would never do.

i thought it was funny also.

Something Jobs would never have the desperate need to do.

ayeying
Sep 11, 2008, 10:41 PM
its not funny... again...

Jason Edwards
I find them entertaining. And they are doing exactly what Microsoft wants them do to....they have people talking.

Jason

Small White Car
Neither paying or tipping the delivery boy for food ordered? Being snipey with children in the family? Being disrespectful to family members? Hardly lovable.

Did you never watch Seinfeld's show? Because, trust me, people loved those characters and they were WAY worse.

So you can say "hardly lovable," but I've got a ton of re-runs that prove you wrong.

ProwlingTiger
Sep 11, 2008, 10:42 PM
I can only imagine being the delivery boy and opening that door...wow. Even though it is Gates...

sure they have people talking. But are they as funny as the Mac vs PC ads?

DMann
Sep 11, 2008, 10:42 PM
It's been about since the 1940's that ads made really direct sales pitches regarding their products: "buy our soap and your dishes will cleaner". By the 1950's or so, it was "buy our soap and you won't get dishpan hands" (while showing some immaculately dressed hottie housewife with a perfect manicure).

These ads are about identity. Increasingly, people buy into a product because they identify with it, and people simply were not identifying with *the* faceless money-grubbing monopolistic mega-corporation par excellence.

And, of course, it's also aimed at investors and the business community in the largest sense. So no, it's not "about" the products per se. It's about the corporate identity of Microsoft.

What's wrong with selling a product based on it's merits? No merit here....... better find a different angle........ an identity (crisis)

gugy
Sep 11, 2008, 10:43 PM
Boy Microsoft is lost for good.

The only smart dude is Seinfeld who made the big bucks.

What a waste of time and money.

Wow this server is getting hit. :eek: I mean, I read the story and watch the video at 10:14pm, when it was first posted. I was the first to comment (there were no comments and no ratings). My comment finaly posted on page 2 :confused:. then as I go back and fourth between the pages to read the comments the times are way off. comments were posted with a 9:00 time stamp, now it seems to have corrected itself, but my first post comment is gone.

I do believe these commercials are creating more of a stir than Apple rumors.:rolleyes:

THAT IS SAD FOR AN APPLE DEDICATED SITE. :o WHERE MS GETS MORE BUZZ THAN APPLE....

Anyway to rehash my comment:

Content funnier in this commercial
As for an add about a software company - missed the mark; it has not marketing appeal.

What I do not get is the talk of warm moist edible computers, and now an ameba thing? What does this have to do with comptures? I guess the final add will tie it all together? :confused:

fire44
These commercials suck and they are aren't even funny. I thought Microsoft would have brought better game than that. So much for trying to compete with apple.:apple:

liltechdude
Wow Microsoft epically fails at life. Another ad that doesn't make any sense and is so pointless that you fall asleep watching it.

inkswamp
Apple ads..genius? I don't know a single microsoft user that looks like the guy in the clip, nor a serious single Apple user that looks like the guy in the clip.

It never ceases to amaze me how some PC users take those ads so personally. First off, the guys in the ads were intended to represent the platforms/machines, not the users. That so many PC users take it as a personal attack is telling.

Secondly, advertisers have done this we-look-good-the-competition-looks-goofy approach for ages. I never, never hear a peep about the Alltel ads where the four major US telecoms are depicted as those bumbling morons while Alltel is depicted as a nice-looking, smart guy. I don't hear Sprint and Verizon users getting all up in arms over that. Why do so many PC users take their computers so dead serious that they can't handle their computer being depicted that way? It's weird.

stagi
I do admit they are growing on me a little.

VideoShooter
Sep 11, 2008, 10:44 PM
I'm not going to buy Vista tomorrow and no, I'm not throwing away my iPhone 3g.

But I laughed multiple times, a lound. Maybe not LoLing, but COL, Chuckle Out Loud.

Anyway, this was funny as a short piece to get people to reconsider that Bill Gates and Microsoft have a sense of humor.

I also think they're going after the 28-35 demo here. Folks who are probably talking their bosses in the workplace to switching over to Apples.

Young enough to change their ways, but old enough to remember Seinfeld and have the power of persuasion in their respective work places.

This is Microsoft, they have BILLIONS AND BILLIONS AND BILLIONS AND DID I MENTION... BILLIONS of dollars to spend on this stuff.

I think someone said this is a 15 part ad series, they're going to take their time and slowly remind us that Microsoft can be cool too.

Looking forward to a 14 yr old fanboy to call me a traitor. I'll use my 2nd 17 inch macbook pro to deflect it and throw my 7 ipods at him while his words tumble to the ground.

Think about it this way... Goliath is waking up and slowly getting his footing. Now's the time to watch Apple (David) and Goliath (Microsoft) fight it out for real. Competition is good for the consumer.

yzp
Sep 11, 2008, 10:44 PM
Gates said : "I got nothing"

so much true

bootedbear
Sep 11, 2008, 10:45 PM
Unlike the first one, this one actually made me chuckle in a few places. But still, rather pointless.

Those that think that these are brilliant "if you think about them" don't know much about advertising. Making your audience think is the last thing you want to do, and the last thing that will actually happen.

thomasfxlt
They're so cute together.... Vista works better already;)

russellb
The only thing these adds will win are the worst adds awards.

My God they are terrible

I understand where they are trying to go with them , I understand what the underlying message is meant to be BUT it's done in a crap way.

They are simply not as clever and dont get their message across as do the short Mac-PC adds.

I just think they plain missed the point and need to fire their advertising company.

DMann
Did you never watch Seinfeld's show? Because, trust me, people loved those characters and they were WAY worse.

So you can say "hardly lovable," but I've got a ton of re-runs that prove you wrong.

At least George, as cheap as he was, had a personality. Jerry was rarely that rude to strangers, and Elaine and Cramer had talent in regard to acting. This does not compare to a Larry David, or post Larry David episode by any means - terribly lame.

sharp65
Sep 11, 2008, 10:46 PM
Wow this server is getting hit. :eek: I mean, I read the story and watch the video at 10:14pm, when it was first posted. I was the first to comment (there were no comments and no ratings). My comment finaly posted on page 2 :confused:. then as I go back and fourth between the pages to read the comments the times are way off. comments were posted with a 9:00 time stamp, now it seems to have corrected itself, but my first post comment is gone.

I do believe these commercials are creating more of a stir than Apple rumors.:rolleyes:

THAT IS SAD FOR AN APPLE DEDICATED SITE. :o WHERE MS GETS MORE BUZZ THAN APPLE....

Funny isn't it :) If it didn't have any marketing appeal the last one wouldn't have gotten over 1,000 comments here. I love seeing some of the hillarious comments :apple: fanboys make in regards to these ads. It's great reading material if you need some comedy.

Mr Rogerss
These new Microsoft adds are way more clever then your so heavenly get a Mac add to begin with. And if you actually spent sometime watching the add, you would get the clever points they push. It is a very funny ad.

And to first start off its not a Vista add, I don't see where they mention Vista. Its Microsoft and Windows I believe.

In the first ad, the shoe fitting means why do so much to switch to a MAC just cause your friends do. Or in the add, why do so much to change your shoe.

In this ad it's in the cheese in the potato comment. What is so good about a MAC? New colors? Bill asked.."didn't we have this yesterday?" Or isn't that new Iphone the same as the last one?

Before you bash me for my opinions..(some are true) I am just pointing out what the add targets. :p

uMac
It was better than the first one, but still pretty bad.
I don't think this will help Microsoft sell Vista or Windows 7.

ClassicBean
Sep 11, 2008, 10:47 PM
These ads are pure genius. I amazed by the number of people who don't get them.

benpatient
Sep 11, 2008, 10:49 PM
guys...

the first one was an episode about nothing: Seinfeld

this second one was about rich people in the "real world": The Simple Life

the next one will be .... another play on another show.

I think they're great, so far. It really gets your attention because they are so different...

inkswamp

I don't really get them. Explain it to me.

I think they're great, so far. It really gets your attention because they are so different...

I think it gets people's attention because they are, frankly, a little dumb. Microsoft may be trying to pump up their image by producing these ads and riffing on the Seinfeld thing, but underneath it all, it's sort of dumb. Once the novelty of seeing Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Gates in an ad together wears off (and it's already starting to for me) people will stop talking about it. Then what?

theROZ
These ads are horrible. The comedy is 10 years old, stupid sight gags that were lame then and lame now. 300 million for what? Just more proof that MS doesn't know **** from a shingle. These ads just insult the average person. Horrible.

DMann
Sep 11, 2008, 10:52 PM
These new Microsoft adds are way more clever then your so heavenly get a Mac add to begin with. And if you actually spent sometime watching the add, you would get the clever points they push. It is a very funny ad.

And to first start off its not a Vista add, I don't see where they mention Vista. Its Microsoft and Windows I believe.

In the first ad, the shoe fitting means why do so much to switch to a MAC just cause your friends do. Or in the add, why do so much to change your shoe.

In this ad it's in the cheese in the potato comment. What is so good about a MAC? New colors? Bill asked.."didn't we have this yesterday?" Or isn't that new Iphone the same as the last one?

Before you bash me for my opinions..(some are true) I am just pointing out what the add targets. :p

"Didn't we have this yesterday?" Vista's rehashed XP.

"I've got nothing" - Bill's story about Vista and the future.

"Sprinkle some cheese on it" Aero interface

The egg is on Microsoft's face, not Apple's

macgreiner
Sep 11, 2008, 10:52 PM
Dreadful.

Freis968
Sep 11, 2008, 10:54 PM
Absolute HORSE ****!!!

gkarris
Sep 11, 2008, 10:55 PM
is it over yet?

Not according to Microsoft.

Windows is #1 and the de-facto standard. I don't see the point of these commercials, nor I can't understand why Microsoft sees Apple as a threat.

Anyone care to enlighten me? (these commercials aren't doing it...)

PaulCJr
Like I said about the last video. Sad.

Many people say I look like what's his face, Mr Mac, and I'm a hardcore COMPUTER user.

That's funny because when I told people all my personal computers are now macs and I am going to stop repairing PC's for people, I was told:

"You, switching to Apple? You kinda look like PC guy..."

http://adweek.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/hodgman_1.jpg

RexTraverse
Sep 11, 2008, 10:56 PM
Enjoyed this ad. The first one was a little too weird but I loved the grandma in this ad. Also, Bill Gates doing the robot got a lol.

Too many people here aren't getting that the ads aren't supposed to sell anything, they're just trying to get people talking and thinking about the Microsoft brand and whether you liked the ads or not, it's got people (especially impressive in a Mac forum) talking about it. Definitely call that a success.

Also, to whoever it was that called this just Bill Gates having an ego trip - where did you ever get the idea that Bill Gates has some giant ego that needs massaging? If anything, I think Bill Gates has traditionally gone out of his way, especially for a guy of his stature, to stay out of the limelight. For giant egos, see Steve Jobs.

DMann
Sep 11, 2008, 10:56 PM
Thats all that this is. Vista was such a failure that they are trying to wash it away in utterly confusing commercials. Eventually when 7 comes out, you would have forgotten vista altogether.

That is precisely what all of this 'identity' dreck is all about - a digression and distraction from that utterly pitiful folly called vista.

dawrobel
Sep 11, 2008, 10:57 PM
oh I think I got it; Gates (playing the part of windows) and his random sidekick Seinfeld (playing the part of silverlight) have been kicked out of the average american home, just like in real life ... Thanks for telling everyone the truth MS! ... lol ;-)

Aussie John
Sep 11, 2008, 10:58 PM
Reminded me of Dumb and Dumber - Now that's a great image to promote. The reason why MS is not doing so well as has in the past is nothing to do with image but to with better competition and products. I have no idea what image they are trying to portray other than "we're just a guy like you" - and so what???

Small White Car
Sep 11, 2008, 11:00 PM
Not according to Microsoft.

Windows is #1 and the de-facto standard. I don't see the point of these commercials, nor I can't understand why Microsoft sees Apple as a threat.

Anyone care to enlighten me? (these commercials aren't doing it...)

Huh, no wonder you don't get it. They're not about Apple!

Microsoft's biggest competitor is themselves. Vista isn't doing hot, but it's not Leopard that it's losing to. It's XP.

Microsoft needs to convince people that they should keep upgrading and that their new products aren't a waste of money that do nothing. Hence, all the references to "secret future technology" in both ads. The idea is: stick with Microsoft and keep upgrading; we've got great things coming.

I'm not saying it's a great message, but it is the way they're going with this. And it has little to do with Apple.

jpefjr
Sep 11, 2008, 11:00 PM

Maybe they're genius as skits go. But isn't the very purpose of an ad to appeal to lots of people? And if many (maybe most?) people don't get it then hasn't the ad failed?

Personally I find them mildly entertaining but I don't want to buy Microsoft products because of them.

sushi
Sep 11, 2008, 11:01 PM
I do admit they are growing on me a little.
And there in lies the key me thinks.

Gets us interested, then flip to the product.

Eric S.
Sep 11, 2008, 11:03 PM
You know, as strange as this is, I think these adds may work.

Remember that Microsoft is seen as the faceless, monopolistic company with only money in mind. The apple commercials were a success not because of pointing out the flaws in Windows compared to OS X, but because of Hodgman and Long's ability to personify what the general public felt about both Apple and Microsoft.
These adds aren't so much aimed at selling Vista or Office, but aimed as pitching Microsoft as a personable company. I for one don't buy microsoft products just on the principle that they seem like a faceless company. These adds give them a face and a character.

People are going to see Bill Gates and Jerry, and suddenly John Hodgman seems as obsolete as a beige PC tower.

Edit: What Mac Me Up said.

You are exactly correct.

Now this thread will go over 1000 messages in under 2 days, and people will still say the ads are not working.

bizzaregood
Sep 11, 2008, 11:03 PM
horrible ad but very entertaining. but i can guess were ms i going with this line of ads

WildCardPix
Sep 11, 2008, 11:04 PM
Maybe they're genius as skits go. But isn't the very purpose of an ad to appeal to lots of people? And if many (maybe most?) people don't get it then hasn't the ad failed?

Personally I find them mildly entertaining but I don't want to buy Microsoft products because of them.

I agree entirely. They're way too long, and appear to have absolutely no purpose. Microsoft wasted over $300 million on this? They were better off with their Mojave ads, lol :apple:

DMann
Sep 11, 2008, 11:05 PM

The so called campaign has evidently shot itself in the foot with this one. If anything, Bill and Jerry have been pulled further out of touch with common people, earning their resentment, distrust, and reason to 'get the boot.' Great documentary depicting the demise of Windows within a household of ordinary people. "I've got nothing," declares Bill. People will talk up a storm, yet be more persuaded to buy nothing from a company capable of releasing such utter trash.

unitysong
What's the deal with bad commercials?!

Yvan256
Make those 5 minutes long and sell them on the iTunes Store.

"The Adventures of Bill and Jerry." :cool:

Eric S.
Sep 11, 2008, 11:08 PM

Apple would surely be saying it, in their usual way of understatement. :rolleyes:

Mr Rogerss
Sep 11, 2008, 11:08 PM
The so called campaign has evidently shot itself in the foot with this one. If anything, Bill and Jerry have been pulled further out of touch with common people, earning their resentment, distrust, and reason to 'get the boot.' Great documentary depicting the demise of Windows within a household of ordinary people. "I've got nothing," declares Bill. People will talk up a storm, yet be more persuaded to buy nothing from a company capable of releasing such utter trash.

You have replied to almost every person on this thread over and over. Are you insecure the ad is actually working?

DMann
Sep 11, 2008, 11:09 PM
You are exactly correct.

Now this thread will go over 1000 messages in under 2 days, and people will still say the ads are not working.

They're working alright, working to persuade consumers to stay further away from D-Rated comedy and any products released by a company capable of doing this.

nagromme
Sep 11, 2008, 11:09 PM

It's interesting to me how often people post the myth that "you Mac guys" lap up anything from Apple, showering praise and never complaints.

How could anyone visit these forums and not realize that Mac users LOVE to heap criticism on everything Apple does?

That's some GOOD strawman ;)

This ad gets (some) people to talk about Microsoft, for sure.

The thing is, that was not Microsoft's problem. People never forgot Microsoft was out there. They need a message that does more than just a reminder that they exist. Now, this campaign may evolve to have a message that it doesn't yet--I'll concede that we don't know yet.

(And I don't buy all the "hidden" messages people are finding. If you have to try that hard to find a point, the point is not being received.)

APPLENEWBIE
Sep 11, 2008, 11:10 PM
I gotta say that i did like this spot. It was nicely written, quite witty, in fact. I love the old lady, and the treacherous little girl. I guess the plan is to market microsoft as a friendly and fun company, "connecting with real people." Too bad their products are, generally, not friendly and fun. I can't figure out how they are going to use these ads. You can run a 4.5 minute ad in very few places, and at what cost?

It might be fun to have a competition to use iMovie to edit it down to a 30 second spot! What d'ya think Arn?

DMann
You have replied to almost every person on this thread over and over. Are you insecure the ad is actually working?

No, just trying to help out MS with all the responses...... they're really going to need it at this point.

Thiopentone
I like the ads. They are purposefully about anything but software and I think that's brilliant. Microsoft doesn't need to advertise to sell more copies of Windows, they need to advertise to fix their image.

And that, friends, is what this is all about. And I think it'll work. Clearly these series of ads have a plotline that will become clearer over time.

JPJones
Sep 11, 2008, 11:11 PM
This thing was like a trailer for a David Lynch movie.

Weird.

morwen
Sep 11, 2008, 11:12 PM
I think the billionaire ripping off the delivery boy summed it up pretty well. ;)

MacGeekDC
Sep 11, 2008, 11:13 PM
EPIC FAIL for the 2nd Time let's see if they can go 3 for 3:p

geerlingguy
Sep 11, 2008, 11:13 PM
This ad was funnier than the first, but I still don't see the point. From what I've heard, Mr. Gates isn't the day-to-day manager of MS anymore, and until you see the little Windows blurb at the end, you have *no* idea what the 'commercial' (I don't know if I can call it that) is for.

This seems more like something a college film class would make for a fun project than a multi-billion dollar company for a multi-million dollar advertising campaign.

MacGeekDC
Sep 11, 2008, 11:14 PM
I think the billionaire ripping off the delivery boy summed it up pretty well. ;)

haha couldn't have said it better myself

Shotgun OS
Sep 11, 2008, 11:15 PM
It was better than the first, because it had some connection to people, but that isn't saying much.

It looks like a highschool project for video class or something.

Ayria
I have to say i did laugh out loud 2 times (or was it 3). Heck it could have been at least 4 times.

Not really much to do with Vista or Microsoft.

Apart from the fact that it says that in the past MS and Vista just dont really connect with people. Haha.

Now they want to connect - maybe they should rebrand to iSoft.

tokevino
I don't have to spend "sometime" in order to get a laugh with any of the "get a mac" ads. Microsoft ads are, as always, too "geeky."

Agreed.

Sorry, I took that as "why do so much to use Windows just cause 90% of the people do?" Or, in the add, "why do so much to switch to Vista when XP gives less trouble?"

"Didn't we have Windows yesterday and so for the last 10 years?"

Honestly, these ads (2 of such so far), are very bad ads. It draws us attention only because Microsoft *supposedly* uses them to protect their "Windows base."

And sorry, but these ads are not clever at all. It pretty much reflected the very dry, light-beer like taste of Microsoft style (or culture). There is nothing wrong with a dry taste: it is just too flat.

These ads are typical Microsoft style, and it is not a surprise to me at all. As always, Microsoft just cannot get it right, no matter how many tries.

And a reminder: It's a Mac :-), not a MAC :-(.

Apple Ink
Wow...... so what is Msft trying to achieve with a 5 minute long ad which does not make any sense?

Guess thats why its "Microsoft"!

DMann
Sep 11, 2008, 11:16 PM

business as usual.

EPIC FAIL for the 2nd Time let's see if they can go 3 for 3:p

surely a no brainer.

mynameisshawn
Sep 11, 2008, 11:17 PM
Retirement sure took its toll on Gates.

Thiopentone
Sep 11, 2008, 11:19 PM
Huh, no wonder you don't get it. They're not about Apple!

Microsoft's biggest competitor is themselves. Vista isn't doing hot, but it's not Leopard that it's losing to. It's XP.

Quoted for truth.

geerlingguy
Sep 11, 2008, 11:20 PM
It was better than the first, because it had some connection to people, but that isn't saying much.

It looks like a highschool project for video class or something.

Ha ha! So, I say college, you say high school—regardless, this isn't standard fare for an international corporation.

Some people may say that this ad campaign makes Microsoft seem 'less corporate' and more 'personal'... I say it makes Microsoft look inept.

pscoble
Sep 11, 2008, 11:21 PM
Well, this ad was better and they do keep you entertained in my opinion. However, this is hardly something that would sell a product.

bbydon
Sep 11, 2008, 11:22 PM
You know....i've dissed these commercials at work a lot.

But the problem i don't think is the script or concept.... they are kinda funny, i just don't get them very well.

I think the problem is Jerry Seinfeld.

I like Bill Gates in the commercials but not seinfeld....i guess i expect him to be funnier. But Gates is just as funny as seinfeld in the commercials.

AvSRoCkCO1067
Sep 11, 2008, 11:22 PM
I still think these are fantastic. They are so freaking funny.

Why would Microsoft want to put ads out that actually focus on Vista? Selling more copies of Vista is NOT their goal - they've sold more then enough already! Their goal is to protect their brand - which is cratering at the moment!

This ads are terrific! Not as good as Mac vs. PC, but still great!

diego2k7
Sep 11, 2008, 11:24 PM
I rather enjoyed it actually, as well as the exaggerated up-in-arms fanboy responses... both very amusing.

DanB91
Sep 11, 2008, 11:24 PM
They are actually quite entertaining...as skits. But these are supposed to be ads, right? If so then they fail.

Nonetheless, I can't help but look forward to the next skit. (I will never refer to them as ads ever again)

thisrocks
Sep 11, 2008, 11:25 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how some PC users take those ads so personally. First off, the guys in the ads were intended to represent the platforms/machines, not the users. That so many PC users take it as a personal attack is telling.

Secondly, advertisers have done this we-look-good-the-competition-looks-goofy approach for ages. I never, never hear a peep about the Alltel ads where the four major US telecoms are depicted as those bumbling morons while Alltel is depicted as a nice-looking, smart guy. I don't hear Sprint and Verizon users getting all up in arms over that. Why do so many PC users take their computers so dead serious that they can't handle their computer being depicted that way? It's weird.

If we think about it logically - platform wise as you put it. Mac OS X built on a Unix Platform from around 86~ and Came out 2001, it's not 2008, so OS X is about 7 years old and Leopard now being almost 1 year old, and Tiger Being 3.

I'm getting the young Hip vibe that Apple present from that

Vista, still has its backbone from DOS, which was also developed back in the 80s, with Vista being released 2006 (still, technically it's not "released" and at version 6, is still a bit of a joke) It's also a relatively "young operating system" although with a very old platform that was never known to be as well rounded as Unix.

I don't see it (the platform) exactly as a dodgy suit wearing, 40-something year old man, but I don't see it as something hip and agile like OS X is presented in the ad either.

I honestly don't know how much of OS X is dependent on its Unix core, but I know for a fact that Vista is still severely held back by the Dos days, and hence should realistically look like a decrpid old man with bionic arms and legs, and some plastic surgery... if it were to represent the platform

I always assumed it to be the user due to the fact that a) The PC guy represents some what of a business man, gathered from the fact that most business use Windows, and B) The apple guy is young and hip due to the fact that hey..what's better than being young and hip? Nothing, baby.

Then I guess the issue of comparative ads where the ad maker looks good compared to a field of idiots/crap products. Look, I don't like ANY of these ads, I live in Australia so I never saw the Alltel ad, but I can tell you that I don't like any. I'm only commenting on the Apple one because this is MacRumors, and someone mentioned it.

As for shervieux, I'm glad you read my post, and I can see a little bit of a resemblence, but that doesn't mean that I know you, haha. Also by "COMPUTER" user, I hope you know I meant Apple, PC, Linux, etc. Not just PC.

MindBrain
Sep 11, 2008, 11:27 PM
Suuucck

transistor
I'm a big Mac user from a very long time. As much as I appreciate what they trying to do there, fact is, I hate commercials. I even hate Apple's Get a Mac commercials and these Microsoft's commercials are no exception.
The daughter that framed them should have been holding an iPod Nano.
In pink.
Priceless!! :D

Chappers

Have you ever read the book "The emperors new clothes"?

Shasterball
Sep 11, 2008, 11:29 PM
I thought it was pretty funny. But I just didn't see the link to Microsoft.

WardC
Sep 11, 2008, 11:29 PM
The way I see it:

Microsoft is trying to establish a "we are for the people" -- "we're here for you" sort of rapport...

The commercials tried to show that Bill Gates (who is the ex-CEO, ex-chairman of the board), the man most people associate with Microsoft, is not just a mega-Billionaire with zero personality (well basically he is...BUT) the commercial's goal was to show that Gates could be funny, be personable, "come down" to the normal person, and be a flat out goof. The addition of Seinfeld was just to add more goofiness and sort of show that Gates (ie Microsoft's front man) can play comedic with Seinfeld too.

In a way it was hard to understand the real point of it...just to maybe start to rebuild an image for Microsoft that "we are a friendly company" and "we are still here" and "we are in it for the normal everyday folks"

At the end the lines "PC -- Perpetually connecting" and the comment that Gates/Microsoft has connected over 1 Billion people (that would be PCs currently running Windows worldwide) shows their marketshare in the OS world. Maybe a slap at the Apple ads, which demean "PC" who knows...

DennisSc
Sep 11, 2008, 11:30 PM
I'm with those who say it's a kind of funny, but not much as advertising.

Jonesy85
Sep 11, 2008, 11:30 PM
I thought it was somewhat entertaining. I wouldn't watch it again though.

m85476585
Sep 11, 2008, 11:31 PM
I think the marketing team needs to connect with real people. They are trying something different than the norm with these ads, but in my opinion, they failed. I doubt the ads have any effect on Microsoft's or Vista's image to the average person.

Gates and Seinfeld are both past their prime, so I don't know why they are the stars. It seems to reinforce the picture of PCs being for middle-aged people and businesses. Microsoft already dominates those areas; it's college students that they are losing. The mac ads successfully appeal to the college-age demographic, and that is what Microsoft needs to do to compete. Of course, they can't just copy the Get a Mac ads since they would get criticized for that, but they need to do something that shows PCs (or computers running Vista, more specifically) are cool and do stuff college students want.

Maybe Microsoft is targeting people who aren't buying Vista because they have heard bad things about it (like they did with the "Mojave experiment"). In that case, I think a traditional ad campaign would work. If you just tell people that Vista works and that it is something that they should get (because it will help them somehow), inevitable a lot of people will believe you and go out and buy Vista.

Though Microsoft could do better, I'm almost glad to see that they are not, since we need more competition against Windows. It's great to see Apple gaining so much market share, and Ubuntu isn't doing too badly either (I just wish there was more commercial software out there for Linux, instead of having to rely on free software that never really works as well**, but companies seem to ignore Linux since the user base is so small and somewhat hostile to commercial software).

**For example, I could spend many hours or days trying to set up MythTV on Linux and still have it never work quite right, or I could buy EyeTV for Mac and have it work out of the box with almost no effort. Or I could spend hours trying to get a decent graphics driver to work on Linux, but on Windows I can just download and install it like any program and (probably) have it work the first time without having to edit any configuration files.

Bubba Satori
Sep 11, 2008, 11:31 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg/300px-Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

trunksu
Sep 11, 2008, 11:32 PM
i thought it was enjoyable. i can see where they're going with this. the 1st one makes more sense too cuz of this one.

MacOldTimer!
Sep 11, 2008, 11:34 PM
Sorry to the room but I really liked it.

A bunch of Kids being a pain in the ass (Apple) and Jerry and Bill trying to figure it out and make it better.

I know I'm old but I believe that was the point of the ad.

Granted... I believe you'd have to know the original series to get the connection (if that is even what it was), but I found it funny.

It's a commercial not a homicidal maniac trying to take Steve down.

Apple Fan's (I'm one of them). Get a sense of humor. It's a commercial.

ivladster
Sep 11, 2008, 11:34 PM
They took a very different strategy. Being cute and rememberable.

LeoFio
Sep 11, 2008, 11:35 PM
Funny? Yes.
Informative of the product they are trying to sell? No.
Any relation to the product they are trying to sell? Yes, maybe, sort of, not obvious.

tokevino
Sep 11, 2008, 11:36 PM
Vista, still has its backbone from DOS, which was also developed back in the 80s...

Oh boy, you need to read more. Vista uses a NT kernel, its origin is traced back to a group of engineers from DEC ---> Microsoft.

The first version of Windows NT was 3.1. The last version of Windows with DOS as its backbone was Windows ME.

Honestly, (and by no mean to be offensive, but objective), you do not know what you are talking about.

FYI:
Windows versions that use DOS technology:
Windows 1.0 ~ 3.x (these are technically not Operating Systems)
Windows 95, 98, ME

Windows versions that use NT technology:
Windows NT (3.x, 4.0)
Windows 2000 (was developed as Windows NT 5.0)
Windows XP (developed with version number NT 5.1)
Windows Vista (developed as Windows NT 6.0)

The first version of NT series starts with "NT 3.x," and the only reason for that was because its UI looks and feels like Windows 3.x for DOS, and it could run Executables written for Windows 3.x.

sushi
Sep 11, 2008, 11:39 PM
A bit ironic, isn't it? :)

Make those 5 minutes long and sell them on the iTunes Store.

"The Adventures of Bill and Jerry." :cool:
Sell at 99 cents and you might have something there.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/19/Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg/300px-Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg
Love it. :)

They took a very different strategy. Being cute and rememberable.
They are memorable for sure.

zsft
Sep 11, 2008, 11:40 PM
Sorry to the room but I really liked it.

A bunch of Kids being a pain in the ass (Apple) and Jerry and Bill trying to figure it out and make it better.

I know I'm old but I believe that was the point of the ad.

Granted... I believe you'd have to know the original series to get the connection (if that is even what it was), but I found it funny.

It's a commercial not a homicidal maniac trying to take Steve down.

Apple Fan's (I'm one of them). Get a sense of humor. It's a commercial.

Haha I agree. This is smart actually, a real evolution in marketing strategy. Hate to say, but ya'll watched it. Ya'll commented on it. Ya'll just got owned by Microsoft.

DMann
Sep 11, 2008, 11:40 PM
Have you ever read the book "The emperors new clothes"?

Precisely

The little boy in the ad said it best..... "....you guys are so dead.."

msheldrick
Sep 11, 2008, 11:41 PM
what.....the frick.....was.....that?

ijoyner
Sep 11, 2008, 11:43 PM
Once again while Apple thinks different, Microsoft thinks stupid.

HirakuMakimura
Sep 11, 2008, 11:43 PM
I think it's funny. I was ready to not like it, but I did. It's better than any MS ad I've seen before, including the previous one with these two, which was iffy.

Doesn't mean I like MS products. But it's apparent to me they gave Seinfeld free reign with this and he came up with a reasonably clever idea, and Bill himself isn't funny but he's not embarrassingly bad.

The concept? MS is saying they are making a renewed effort to be a company for ordinary people (with one implication, perhaps, being that Apple is not). I don't agree with the message, but it's a popular (if more recently eroded) notion, one that's kept Apple out of consideration for many consumers for years, and MS is trying to win that image back.

The part that seems self-consciously disingenuous is the concept pushed, at the end of both of the ads that have appeared so far, that MS is the main driver of innovation--a point that's been debated to death on these forums but for me feels simply not true.

Sep 11, 2008, 11:44 PM
As for shervieux, I'm glad you read my post, and I can see a little bit of a resemblence, but that doesn't mean that I know you, haha. Also by "COMPUTER" user, I hope you know I meant Apple, PC, Linux, etc. Not just PC.

I assumed that. I am a hardcore user too....

Apple (macbook, mini)
PC *cough* Dell *cough* - ok it was supplied by my work.
Used Linux Servers
Open VMS on PDP 11, DEC, & HP servers

My first computer was an oddessy 2 when I was 10 or so (there was a basic programming cartridge):

http://www.vidgame.net/MAGANAVOX/Magnavox/o2/o2_hard.jpg

2nd computer was a timex sinclair

http://oldcomputers.net/pics/ts1000.JPG

Then I was on to the Commodore 64, then PC's for about 20 years, now mac (except for my Dell work computer -xp with 5 xp virtual PC's).

At school, also used the Apple IIe, Atari, TRS80, Digital Nova II, Zenith, IBM running OS/2, then on to DOS and Windows.

I think I used computers for the last 30 years and I am going to be 40 in 4 months.

i0Nic
Sep 11, 2008, 11:45 PM
This one was pretty good, I like these ads.

sushi
Sep 11, 2008, 11:45 PM
FYI:
Windows versions that use DOS technology:
Windows 1.0 ~ 3.x (these are technically not Operating Systems)
Windows 95, 98, ME

Windows versions that use NT technology:
Windows NT (3.x, 4.0)
Windows 2000 (was developed as Windows NT 5.0)
Windows XP (developed with version number NT 5.1)
Windows Vista (developed as Windows NT 6.0)

The first version of NT series starts with "NT 3.x," and the only reason for that was because its UI looks and feels like Windows 3.x for DOS, and it could run Executables written for Windows 3.x.
Good post.

I think some folks confuse the Command Prompt with DOS. :)

JosephKr
Sep 11, 2008, 11:47 PM
Does anyone get the idea here that this is actually a very sneaky way for Jerry and Bill to pitch a new idea for a regular sitcom?

It's the new "Odd Couple".

Look: Visualize a couple of super-successful dudes who in true reality-show spirit, travel the US and Canada and each week take up residence with a new family and attempt to integrate themselves into the family dynamic and learn from it, all the while showing their true natures, which are just regular folks!

Brilliant! Like Route 66 meets Brady Bunch meets Supernanny!

And hey guys....if you use this idea, I want royalties!

samh004
Sep 11, 2008, 11:48 PM
That wasn't actually that bad, I actually got the meaning of it and see where they are going. I'd like to see the shorter version though as I don't think they'll be able to as effectively get their point across.

Look: Visualize a couple of super-successful dudes who in true reality-show spirit, travel the US and Canada and each week take up residence with a new family and attempt to integrate themselves into the family dynamic and learn from it, all the while showing their true natures, which are just regular folks!

You mean like The Simple Life. Okay, they don't learn anything, but it's already been done.