PDA

View Full Version : Apple Care Higher Education UK

joestas
Sep 18, 2008, 04:12 AM
Hi
I ordered and imac yesterday and was persuaded to by the apple care so that it was under warranty for 3 years. I was then told that with Higher Ed macs it automatically extends by this time anyway... therefore making my purchase pointless.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? THanks

atiffarooq
Sep 18, 2008, 04:14 AM
What you paid for is extended telephone support. You normally get 90 days, but now you have 3 years worth. To be honest it's not really worth it because you can get the same support on these forums - most of the time :D.

logana
Sep 18, 2008, 04:57 AM
AppleCare also covers you internationally - maybe not so much of an issue with an iMac but useful for laptops...

Did you order by phone or in-store ?

If phone then there is no reason not to get them to cancel it - if in-store there may be a possibility..

joestas
Sep 18, 2008, 04:58 AM
SO I get 3 years breakage cover anyway?

If so, I will cancel it!

atiffarooq
Sep 18, 2008, 05:01 AM
You do. Make sure you understand exactly what Applecare covers. It's not insurance. You can find the details of this here (http://www.apple.com/uk/support/products/proplan.html).

afd
Sep 18, 2008, 05:53 AM
where does it say that the HE store has a three year warranty?
clicking on the warranty link from this page (http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_139125/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTE3MjE) says it's only one year.

logana
Sep 18, 2008, 12:52 PM
where does it say that the HE store has a three year warranty?
clicking on the warranty link from this page (http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_139125/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook?mco=MTE3MjE) says it's only one year.

seems to be linking to the normal education warranty info - says 12 months and AppleCare is 150 odd.

AppleCare for a MacBook/Pro is 58 at HE prices.

afd
Sep 18, 2008, 01:07 PM
is there a difference between different universities sites maybe? I used the strathclyde one.

Macky-Mac
Sep 18, 2008, 04:29 PM
SO I get 3 years breakage cover anyway?

If so, I will cancel it!

breakage? it doesn't cover accidents or owner abuse or your dog biting it.....if that's what you mean by "breakage"

logana
Sep 18, 2008, 04:50 PM
is there a difference between different universities sites maybe? I used the strathclyde one.

Might be - best to phone them and ask - there were rumours (rumors) that the warranty was different at HE store dependent on the University a student was enrolled at.........

Quocy
Sep 18, 2008, 07:47 PM
Hi
I ordered and imac yesterday and was persuaded to by the apple care so that it was under warranty for 3 years. I was then told that with Higher Ed macs it automatically extends by this time anyway... therefore making my purchase pointless.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? THanks

i also ordered my iMac through the Higher Education store, but over the phone as I'm not on the campus to access the HE store through the uni network. anyway i was going to buy applecare thinking that 44 extra to get applecare was a bargain! till i was reading in a couple of threads that with a HE purchase all macs comes with a 3 year warranty as standard on parts and labour.

i confirmed this to the guy who i ordered my iMac off, and he said that if i did choose to buy applecare i would only get extended telephone support and international cover. knowing that this was totally useless i didn't purchase applecare. so i saved 44 and put that towards getting my 1TB in my iMac :)

hope this helps