Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I've been noticing that on my days off from my University I spend a lot of time on my Macbook.

It usually starts when I wake up and check my emails in the bathroom. Yep I admit, I surf and turf. Then after I shower and if I've got nothing important going on, which on my days off most likely there isn't I'll just crash on my couch and surf for the web. At times for hours and i've been noticing mostly for at least an hour. This will consist of killing time surfing the web (digg mainly and google news) and also of listening to music on iTunes, read PDF files of mine from my documents folder and watch movies from my movies folder.

I spend most of my time on my Mac just "wasting away" in a sense and the rest of the time doing homework on it, writing essays on Word, school stuff, etc.

So I'm wondering if others either spend too much with their Mac in any respect: surfing the web or even if you're completely productive all the time with it.

This situation has made me consider purchase an iPod Touch. I'd go for the 1st Gen and it just seems with a Touch I could still do the same things I'd do on my Mac here at home, except with the problem of having a big Macbook on my lap, or wherever. Mainly since the Touch is handheld I could be more productive and only work on the required apps I should be looking at rather than clicking from one website to another on firefox...

Essentially what I think I'm asking if for advice if you think getting an ipod touch would help in my quest to not spend so much time at home on my Mac, online, etc. The touch just seems like a good alternative to living a life without a computer, and only opening the Macbook when it is really needed, like writing an essay in Word.

your thoughts?

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
Oh yeah, way to much time, and a LOT of time here at MR. I simply love my BMB. Our family will be soon purchasing a new MBA and new design WMB.
Christmas will be a new 3.6 GHZ:eek: 1.5 Terrabyte:eek: i-MAC :rolleyes: for general family use, (spec's are wishful thinking). As converts we simply love the Mac, but, dude, in the bathroom?????? I don't ever, EVAH want to borrow your Mac:D:D

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
i disagree, i had my iphone for almost a year before i bought a macbook and now i am on my macbook all the time. it is obviously much faster then your iphone/ipod touch while surfing the net and doing other tasks. But if you are looking to not lug the macbook everywhere it wouldnt be a bad purchase. Now if it was an iPhone, with the phone feature and portable always-connected internet. then it may be something you should look into. Just dont see the necessity in an ipod touch with the types of things you use your macbook for.. but hey thats just me:cool:

p.s. i spend wayyyy to much time on my macbook!

nickbr00tality

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
i'm on it pretty much all day...easier than being on my iPhone or whatever.
Mainly just browsing and listening to music...

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
Too much time? Debatable.

I have a bad habit of taking my BlackBook everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Even if I don't plan on using it. The bus, to mates houses, to college, the cinema, everywhere. Cause you never know when you might need it.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
skeletal; that's exactly how i feel and which is also the reason why im considering an ipod touch.

Sure the touch can't do everything i'll need but it does do most. lately i've been taking my macbook to school everyday in case i might need it but really only open it if i need to type up an assignment or something. there are still pc's on campus that have word too so...

but the same reason reason you stated is my underlining as to why im considering a touch.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
I dunno, I've used a Touch and wasn't too impressed. Plus when I do pull out my MacBook to actually use it, I do something fun in GarageBand or something like that, so a Touch really wouldn't suit me at all.

Mpulsive81

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2006
McKinney, TX
HappyDude20 said:
Yep I admit, I surf and turf.

iWipe?

macmod4.jpg

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
How do you define "too much time"? :p

Anyways, I thought the question is kind of funny. I'd say yes, but usually it isn't just because it's my Macbook (Though I have spent a lot more time on computers since I got my Macbook). I usually find myself reading stuff online or working or doing whatever, and I just don't feel like stopping.

As for the iPod touch...I love mine. It's a wonderful device, but I'm not sure it'll help you too much with staying off the Macbook. It's great for surfing the web, but not intensively. It's not a laptop, and it's not as fast, so there are some obvious limitations. I don't think it'd be a bad purchase, anyways, though. There's so much great stuff for the iPod touch, and even without apps the device is awesome.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
By too much time? would spending more time with my Mac than I spend sleeping and working combined?

(well my Mac is better than any BF - She doesn't judge me, critisize me, cheat on me, get drunk and stay out late, or be a bastard!)

:) so yes I DO !

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
I didn't realize it was possible to spend time away from my mac. Eeeek! The horror!:eek:

Calm down, it is not real! :D

I think it is possible. I travel for work, no TV in the PM, so I did have days where I spent 4-6 hours on my Mac. Of course, that was email, web, games, resumes, Java, etc. Still, looooong time.

Skeletal-dæmon

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2008
Calm down, it is not real! :D

I think it is possible. I travel for work, no TV in the PM, so I did have days where I spent 4-6 hours on my Mac. Of course, that was email, web, games, resumes, Java, etc. Still, looooong time.

Elgato EyeTV. TV on your Mac for about £70 ($150) if you get the Hybrid model that does both digital and analogue television. You need a bigger aerial if you're gonna use it when on walkies, other than that my TV stick is indispensable. I use mine literally every night. Plus you can record to your hard drive, and export to iPod/Touch/Phone.

Sorted!

ksabek

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
ya man same thing with me I got my blackbook 3 weeks ago and when I wake up I check my mail and check the news. Afternoon chat with friends lsn to music then at night even more surfing especially now the rumors of the new macs!!!!:p

Jpoon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
I'm generally on campus all day at the University of Memphis, so my MacBook goes everywhere with me. So....yeah, I spend a lot of time with my Mac. And I make all the Comp Sci. majors jealous when I pop out my MB to compare code. Windows? Bootcamp.

When they ask how I play games, I just tell them about my gaming rig PC...
heh

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
As for me, I couldn't imagine my iphone replacing my laptop in any way, even if it ran all of the applications I needed. The screen'd make my eyes bleed after staring at it for longer than an hour.

blurredline

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2007
Fort McMurray, AB
I have both the iPhone and Touch, and when I'm at home, neither take away from my Macbook time, haha. I spend too much time surfing the net. Reading RSS on NetNewsWire, and most of all spending far too much time on MR Forums and Digg. I need to cut back and start reading more books, exercising, etc...but anyways, my point is, I don't think getting a touch will cut back on your Macbook surfing. I only use my iPhone for the internet when I'm not at home.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
hmmm!

i'm currently at a library about 30 miles away from home. 3 miles away from my college with my mac. My backpack is carrying enough books as it is. I did need to type up some papers today, but could've easily used a pc here...

on ebay i've been seeing an 8gb touch for about $130...i was hoping to find one for $100...but we'll see.

blumoon

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
I have my mac (first one) almost 1 year and I spend as much time as I can on it. I love it. I bought an iPhone in July and haven't been able to put that down either.
These freakin' things are addicting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.