PDA

View Full Version : 20th Anniversary of Mac

MacRumors
Jan 21, 2004, 07:01 PM
January 24th, 2004 marks the 20th anniversary of the Apple Macintosh.

This Mercury News article (http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/7731271.htm) from January of 1984 gave early rumor-followers a sneak peak at the launch of the Macintosh. According to their sources at the time:

For $2,495, Macintosh buyers will get a computer that operates unusually quickly and is directed by a mouse - a handheld device that, when slid across a table top, moves the cursor on the Mac's screen.

The user gives commands by pointing the cursor at graphic symbols on the screen, such as a paint brush and an eraser to enable the user to draw a picture, or a trash can to destroy a document.

With the anniversary approaching, there is understandably a small buzz in the air about new product announcements over the next week. Unfortunately, none of these reports can be corroborated... The buzz is consistent with previous rumors with PowerMac (2.6GHz), PowerBook (G4 (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040119103102.shtml)) and iMac (20" G5?) blurbs. Earlier expectations (http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/01/20040109023348.shtml) of a PowerMac Jan 20th announcement did not come to pass.

More concrete information will be posted as available.

alset
Jan 21, 2004, 07:03 PM
A friend said she would draw a birthday hat and cake on my Apple tattoo for me. I'm giving my nod to the Mac, how about everyone else?

Dan

Doctor Q
Jan 21, 2004, 07:07 PM
Come on, Apple. Surprise us with something!

NP3
Jan 21, 2004, 07:11 PM
yesss....please something really nice :)

I'll settle for a Powerbook G5 :)

oh well....

pb1212580
Jan 21, 2004, 07:13 PM
OH NO!!!
No more $$$ for this quarter's Apple fund!

MrSugar
Jan 21, 2004, 07:16 PM
Does anyone else not care as much about processor speeds for the new PM's but rather would see nice updates for the rest of the internals. HDs, RAM, Super Drives, more room in the case, etc.?? :)

lets hope we see something soon!

curmi
Jan 21, 2004, 07:17 PM
Anyone else disappointed that Apple don't appear to be doing much? I was hoping for a teaser on their web site this week - something coming. Their web site doesn't even mention it on the front page any more...

Samir 3.0
Jan 21, 2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Doctor Q

I'm hoping with you...:) :) :)

centauratlas
Jan 21, 2004, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by MrSugar
Does anyone else not care as much about processor speeds for the new PM's but rather would see nice updates for the rest of the internals. HDs, RAM, Super Drives, more room in the case, etc.?? :)

lets hope we see something soon!

I'd like to see a PB G5. ;-)

Internals would be good, larger drive options etc.

I am not holding my breath for anything though.

MrMacMan
Jan 21, 2004, 07:23 PM

Yeah really...

Haha, another iPod commerical?

pfft.

:rolleyes:

Tommy!
Jan 21, 2004, 07:33 PM
Happy Birthday! I love you! Just think, in one more year, you can buy me booze!

Steamboatwillie
Jan 21, 2004, 07:42 PM
For the love of God Jobs PLEASE do something cool! Give your loyal followers something to chew on!

Flynnstone
Jan 21, 2004, 07:55 PM
The Mac 20 years ago was a departure from the norm.
Hopefully Apple will do something similarly radical for the 20th anniversary. :)

MoparShaha
Jan 21, 2004, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Tommy!
Happy Birthday! I love you! Just think, in one more year, you can buy me booze! That's the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Seriously though, I will be very dissapointed if nothing comes to pass this Saturday.

animemaster
Jan 21, 2004, 07:59 PM
I just liked reading about the description of how the mouse works. They make it sound so foreign. I mean, back then, it was. Today, people think you're crazy if you don't use a mouse. Now they come in 2-5 buttons, or maybe more.

I think apple should reinvent the mouse!

-animemaster

JGowan
Jan 21, 2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors ... and is directed by a mouse - a handheld device that, when slid across a table top, moves the cursor on the Mac's screen.How (in the world!) did Apple not get a patent on THE MOUSE? They invented the mouse, right? I can't see how they're not reaping serious money off that one item. Someone, please, enlighten me.

animemaster
Jan 21, 2004, 08:03 PM
Heh, I think we all did, but Apple bought the GUI from I believe Canon.

-animemaster

bedrock22
Jan 21, 2004, 08:06 PM
Do you think that if they release new models the prices of models like the dual 2.0 right now will come down?

I'm in the market for a new mac, and I've got the budget to just barely cover a dual g5 2.0, but if they're going to release new models soon (PLEASE PLEASE!) maybe i should hold off? Especially if prices come down...

I'd really like to see the 2.0 come down so i can tag some extra RAM in there too. It was either that or go for a dual 1.8 and add an extra 512.

Do you think they'll discontinue the dual 1.8 if they release new models soon? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

TWinbrook46636
Jan 21, 2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by animemaster
Heh, I think we all did, but Apple bought the GUI from I believe Canon.

-animemaster

They bought it from Xerox PARC in the form of stock as I recall. At least they didn't steal it like Microsoft did.

curmi
Jan 21, 2004, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by JGowan
How (in the world!) did Apple not get a patent on THE MOUSE? They invented the mouse, right? I can't see how they're not reaping serious money off that one item. Someone, please, enlighten me.

They didn't invent the mouse.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9704/09/mouse.inventor/

yamadataro
Jan 21, 2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by curmi
Anyone else disappointed that Apple don't appear to be doing much? I was hoping for a teaser on their web site this week - something coming. Their web site doesn't even mention it on the front page any more...

Ah, maybe that's a sign that Apple is preparing really crazy products.

My wishful thinking :D

Mr Maui
Jan 21, 2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by yamadataro
Ah, maybe that's a sign that Apple is preparing really crazy products.

My wishful thinking :D

Me thinks a nice quad-processor 2.4-2.6 GHz (kinda like the old Daystar Clones many eons ago) would be in order. Then my word processor would go much faster than my 15 wpm typing speed. : )

REMEMBER THE QUADS!!

CMillerERAU
Jan 21, 2004, 08:50 PM
It seems like the real crazy announcements (original iMac, for instance) were complete surprises. Maybe the fact that there feels like a big hole in the rumors lately suggests something similar is on the horizon. With all the music news lately I sure hope Apple isn't going to all appliances like Gateway. Doubt it though..

NP3
Jan 21, 2004, 08:53 PM
Only thing i hope for is that Steve keeps his promise about this being a great year a lot better than that "Year of the Laptop" we were supposed to have.

Yes....i know motorola was part of it, but still.

Photorun
Jan 21, 2004, 09:04 PM
Think 20th anniversary CUBE!

macmax
Jan 21, 2004, 09:12 PM
i don't ask 4 much, just a 3 button mouse, hehehhehehe:D

dashiel
Jan 21, 2004, 09:13 PM

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9704/09/mouse.inventor/

while they didn't invent the mouse, they did invent the mouse that pretty much the entire world came to use prior to the optical mouse revolution of a few years back (yes i know sparc stations have had optical mice for years).

mice up until the mac project had two wheels underneath the mouse surface, one horizontal and one vertical, there was no mouse ball. as you can probably imagine this didn't lead to a very accurate or easy to use device (think of it like a roller skate with two wheels facing forwards and two wheels facing sideways)

someone at apple, came up with the idea of using a ball and inverting the two wheels inside the mouse casing.

they also figured out a way to reduce the cost drastically. my recollection is fuzzy here, but i believe that mice pre-mac where in the neighborhood of $1000. don't quote me on that one though.

stoid
Jan 21, 2004, 09:38 PM
While Apple is a great innovator, it is not that they are introducing a new product that no one has ever thought of before. The majority of Apple's innovation is putting ideas that someone else dismissed as too difficult or too expensive at a reasonable price and also incredibly simple to use!

If we expect a radical new product from Apple, I think that it will not be some hair-brained off the wall idea, but rather find some device that is already being made. This device is one that is really really amazing and useful, but it's either so expensive, or so confusing that no one really buys them.

Steve says no to handheld market; there are already cheap enough handhelds that are not too confusing. Steve says no to tablet PCs; the tablet PCs that were made did not sell well because even though they were sold at near loss producing prices, they were still to expensive for what they did. Steve says no to WebTV idea ('computers and televisions are two different beasts, you sit close to a computer, but away from a TV, they'll never combine'); Microsoft has already laid the strangle hold on the market, having crushed competition at the very beginning.

I think that with all the leaks lately, January 24th will either come and go empty since we haven't heard anything, or Steve has really really cracked down on security and there WILL be something awesome for us. So I see either a 0% chance and a 100% chance of new product bliss on the 24th.

Trowaman
Jan 21, 2004, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Macrumors
For $2,495, Macintosh buyers will get a computer that operates unusually quickly and is directed by a mouse - a handheld device that, when slid across a table top, moves the cursor on the Mac's screen.

It'll never work. A mouse. I saw one once. It was like a dead rat fell on the table in the middle of our meeting.

sethypoo
Jan 21, 2004, 10:10 PM
Dear Apple,

For the 20th anniversary of the Macintosh, I'll take a 12" PowerBook G7 with 12GB of RAM, Airport Extreme, no heat problems whatsoever, a ATI Radeon 9600 Pro graphics card, FireWire 400, 800, and 1200, USB 2.0 and 3.0, a 24x SuperDrive, VGA/DVI out, a pc card slot, a 120GB 7200rpm hard disc drive, 8 hour battery life, 3 years of AppleCare, OS XI (Eleven), and (of course) Bluetooth.

All in a laptop that's 10.9"x8.6"x1.0".

Thanks, and I want it delivered by February 1st, 2004.

Sincerely Yours,
Seth

jero
Jan 21, 2004, 10:11 PM
cmon apple, give me something for my birthday haha.

mrdeep
Jan 21, 2004, 10:31 PM
i hope for new displays ...

they could "revolutionize" computer displays by making them cheap, or by making them with an imac-esque stand so they could be moved around easily

NP3
Jan 21, 2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by sethypoo
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro graphics card,

come on....lets dream big....gotta get at least a ATI Radeon 11k with 512 MB of VRAM

jrv3034
Jan 21, 2004, 10:46 PM
Remember, this is the Mac's 20th anniversary... not ours. So, what would the Mac want for its 20th?

How about some more marketshare?

I suggest to you, Mac, that you give birth to a brand new G5 cube-like headless computer that costs $499, 1.6 GHz G5, Combo drive, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, 64MB Video RAM, FW 400, USB2, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, ADC & DVI, aluminum case.

Then you can really be the Mac-Daddy.;)

Happy birthday, Mac!

Phillip
Jan 21, 2004, 11:36 PM
i am just thinking, if apple does release something great this year, it doesn't have to be on the 24th does it?

Flynnstone
Jan 21, 2004, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by NP3
come on....lets dream big....gotta get at least a ATI Radeon 11k with 512 MB of VRAM

What about the dodecaphonic sound system :D

Flynnstone
Jan 21, 2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by jrv3034
I suggest to you, Mac, that you give birth to a brand new G5 cube-like headless computer that costs $499, 1.6 GHz G5, Combo drive, 512MB RAM, 80GB HDD, 64MB Video RAM, FW 400, USB2, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth, ADC & DVI, aluminum case.

Then you can really be the Mac-Daddy.;)

Happy birthday, Mac!

Since Apple makes great screens (and other cools stuff :D )
what a Mac that is just the screen. Imagine an Apple 17" wide screen cinema display with a combo drive out the side. Everything on the screen ! :D

Omad0n
Jan 22, 2004, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by macmax
i don't ask 4 much, just a 3 button mouse, hehehhehehe:D

I think what you meant to say was...
I don't ask 4 much just a 3 button mouse 2 play with !1! hehehe

yamadataro
Jan 22, 2004, 01:23 AM
Should we be giving something TO Apple, instead of Apple giving US presents?
Hey, somebody go down to the Safeway and send Apple 20 apples :D

NeatGekko
Jan 22, 2004, 02:36 AM
There will be 3GHz G5's this month...special dates...*smiles*

leenoble
Jan 22, 2004, 02:54 AM
Isn't it usually the 21st which gets the major celebration?
;)

admford
Jan 22, 2004, 06:14 AM
Personally i'd really happy if they brought back a feature of the Wallstreet, Lombard, and Pismo PowerBooks. Hot swapable drives and easier upgradability.

That's the only reason why i've decided not to get a new PowerBook or iBook and stay with my 400MHz Pismo. Sure it's not that recent, but runs Photoshop, Panther, and most other programs great. With the possibility to upgrade the processor and to put in a SuperDrive from MCETech, or a 2nd hard disk, or a LS120 drive, or a Zip drive, or a plain floppy drive. It's this expandibilty that's lacking in recent PowerBooks that I don't like. Ah one more thing...

Being able to have TWO batteries in the PowerBook so you can use it for longer...

eric67
Jan 22, 2004, 06:34 AM
Hello

a new comer in the mac-related rumor web site (http://croquer.free.fr) has posted some report about Sturday announcement of new Apple products.... this web site is new, so I do not know the quality ....but at least it is a nice way to see if they have premium info or if they are b***********.
it is in french, but you can get babelfish translation in english .
in summary :
on saturday, Apple will announce news products for 20th Anniversary :
- new PM G5 (running with PPC970FX) running up to 2.6 GHz (with a FSB up to 1.1GHz) and space for up to 4 HDs
- iMacG5 : with a slight change in the design, a more cubic base (cube-like??), running again with the last G5 (2 models 1.6 and 1.8 GHz)
- finally new LCD displays, now all with Alu style design

mkaake
Jan 22, 2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by NeatGekko
There will be 3GHz G5's this month...special dates...*smiles*

the same ones you said were coming at mwsf?

matt

riquito
Jan 22, 2004, 08:03 AM
I really do think that Apple needs to create something new again. I do expect from them a "revolutionnary" product. Something that can change the way you are living.

Wait until Saturday.

blueflame
Jan 22, 2004, 08:22 AM
mabye this time they will do it again with a mew mouse, scroll wheel?
AK

seelab
Jan 22, 2004, 08:51 AM
I'm keeping my money for so long...
I'd like to see a 17 " Powerbook G5 2 Ghz, 120 Go 7200 rpm HD, 4 x SuperDrive. But i think i'll have to stick with my PowerMac dual 800 for at least another year before seeing this dream machine :(

numediaman
Jan 22, 2004, 09:00 AM
OK, I'll play . . . here's what I want for the 20th Anniversary:

1) speed bumps on the G5s. It's been seven months since SJ announced the G5 and there have been no changes (other than the dual 1.8). I want to be reassured that IBM just isn't another Motorola. (I have faith that they are not.)

2) a laptop I might buy. I currently own a Titanium PB with a dead logic board. I have no interest in any laptop Apple is selling. The processor speeds are three years outdated -- and let's not even talk about quality control issues (displays, logic boards, etc.) I won't buy a G4, period.

What I'll settle for:

1) G5 iMacs. Let's put the best material in all Macs. The iMac should be 1.6, 1.8 & 2.0 G5s -- all single processors. Dell puts in the 2.4Ghz Celeron chip in its $399 desktop -- Apple should put the 1.6Ghz G5 in its iMac. I won't buy an iMac because it is not the computer for me -- but I think it would be the perfect computer for many users.

2) speed bumps for the G5 (there is a theme here).

Lastly, the thing I love about being an Apple customer is how I am always mad at them -- but won't switch. Must be a S&M thing going on. I have been customer since early 1983, but I'm always pissed off at their slow pace and lack of aggressiveness. For all you new switchers -- get used to it.

Xerocs
Jan 22, 2004, 09:43 AM
I hope there'll be something like "a macintosh for the rest of us" - small 499 - 599$ box with Panther, iLife 04 and AppleWorks

I know some friends who would decide to get a cheap macintosh, but the normal ones are way to expensive for us students (emac is ugly)

and due the german tax it will for sure be about 50-100€ expensiver than in the us

germany sux =(

eric67
Jan 22, 2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Xerocs
I hope there'll be something like "a macintosh for the rest of us" - small 499 - 599$ box with Panther, iLife 04 and AppleWorks

I know some friends who would decide to get a cheap macintosh, but the normal ones are way to expensive for us students (emac is ugly)

and due the german tax it will for sure be about 50-100€ expensiver than in the us

germany sux =(
do not come in Fraqnce the tax on computer is 19.6%!!!
but if you are not too far from Switzerland, then it is a good deal, computers are usually >25% cheaper than in France, so worst having a look at

isgoed
Jan 22, 2004, 10:06 AM
I read the article on macbytes before it appeared on macrumors. It is real interesting. I was not arround at that time, but i can imagine what a hype it must have been to no longer control the pc with text commands but intuitively, with a mouse!

sorry if this is a double post, i did not read the forums though.

NeatGekko
Jan 22, 2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by mkaake
the same ones you said were coming at mwsf?

matt

Sorry about the mis-info...sheesh. So I got confused on the dates. Nobody is expecting 3ghz G5's, so when they come out...people will see I was right.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 22, 2004, 12:25 PM
but when? you first said mwsf, then this month of jan, now we may be looking at superbowl? man you need to shakedown your contacts a little harder neatgekko.

Doctor Q
Jan 22, 2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by yamadataro
Should we be giving something TO Apple, instead of Apple giving US presents?
Hey, somebody go down to the Safeway and send Apple 20 apples :D Sorry, I can't. Southern California is still having a major supermarket strike, so we poor citizens have been going without food or household supplies for 3 months. On the bright side, since we haven't been able to buy anything at the supermarket, we can spend all the money we saved on Apple's new products!

IndyGopher
Jan 22, 2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by NeatGekko
Sorry about the mis-info...sheesh. So I got confused on the dates. Nobody is expecting 3ghz G5's, so when they come out...people will see I was right.
Keep saying it, and eventually it'll be right... Pretty good motto.
I suppose all your other (entirely wrong) predictions for MWSF will also be out before the end of the month as well?

iAtom
Jan 22, 2004, 02:36 PM
I really hope they release an inexpensive headless mac. I have been looking into getting my first mac for awhile, and now with the release of GarageBand I want one more than ever. But I don't have too much money to spend on it, and I don't want an eMac becuase I don't want to be limited to one monitor, plus their sorta ugly.

I would pay $700 - $900 for a 1.6 ghz G5, 512mb RAM, Superdrive, 64 or 128 mb video card, 60 - 80 gb hard drive, all in a nice aluminum cube. :D

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 22, 2004, 02:47 PM
you cant even get a G4 for that price and you think apple is going to make a G5 for that price? you need to step back into the real world with real prices. if apple does a G5 imac or headless imac they will double your prices. G4 pro towers are getting cheaper maybe look for one of those.

wdlove
Jan 22, 2004, 03:02 PM
Sorry, I can't. Southern California is still having a major supermarket strike, so we poor citizens have been going without food or household supplies for 3 months. On the bright side, since we haven't been able to buy anything at the supermarket, we can spend all the money we saved on Apple's new products!

Do you need us to send you some food and household supplies from Boston? If we take care of each other then we can both get the new Apple products. Now it's just according to the timing. ;)

Doctor Q
Jan 22, 2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the offer, wdlove, but we'll be OK. Californians are always into fad diets, so this mandatory no-food diet is just the latest one. And, without food, you don't need napkins or toilet paper either, so it all works out.

If Apple chooses the anniversary date for product announcements, they will probably be products that they would have announced this month anyway. Any improvement in the product line (usually more power for the same price) would be welcome.

On the other hand, if Apple has a special "anniversary product", it'll likely be an attention getter out of the price range for most of us. Remember that the 1997 "20th Anniversary Mac" cost close to $10,000 at first, if I remember correctly.

pjkelnhofer
Jan 22, 2004, 03:56 PM
On the other hand, if Apple has a special "anniversary product", it'll likely be an attention getter out of the price range for most of us. Remember that the 1997 "20th Anniversary Mac" cost close to $10,000 at first, if I remember correctly.

According to EveryMac (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/20th_mac/index.html) (my favorite source for this type of info). The 20th Anniversary Mac was $7,500.

Hopefully, if there is a 20th Anniversary product, Apple will make it a real product and not a gimmick this time around. I am excited to see what if anything is released. I am sure the 20th Anniversary Mac's were amazing computers, but they were not priced for the masses, and isn't that who the "1984" commercial promised to free?

However, I am trying very hard to temper my enthusiasm with the knowledge that nothing may be released in the next week at all.

pcharles
Jan 22, 2004, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by JGowan
How (in the world!) did Apple not get a patent on THE MOUSE? They invented the mouse, right? I can't see how they're not reaping serious money off that one item. Someone, please, enlighten me.

No, they stole it from Xerox. I don't know if they have the patent or not.

Doctor Q
Jan 22, 2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by pjkelnhofer
According to EveryMac (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/20th_mac/index.html) (my favorite source for this type of info). The 20th Anniversary Mac was $7,500.Apparently, the price was a moving target. This site (http://www.applefritter.com/apples/tam/) says the price "started at $9000, then dropped to $7500, to $4000, then to $2000" while this site (http://apple-history.com/frames/body.php?page=gallery&model=anniversary) says "The Twentieth Anniversary Mac was a limited edition, and sold for nearly $10,000. Its price was cut to as low as $1,999 and it was discontinued in March 1998".

tranceguy
Jan 22, 2004, 05:29 PM
I'm picturing a black/dark dark grey annodized G5 with a 2.6GHz processor with some cool laser etching.

I'm highly doubting a cheap computer for their 20th. Remember the TAM at nearly $10k? They're going to make something rather elite if you ask me.

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 22, 2004, 05:31 PM
and if they do they will sell just as many.

Ja Di ksw
Jan 22, 2004, 05:48 PM
A friend of mine recently bought a pb from an apple store (Her first mac, took me awhile to convince her to get it). I had told her of the anniversary coming up, though, and so she was a little worried about that. She asked the guy what would happen if a newer pb came out on the 24th, and he told her to wait. He went away for awhile, where only employees could go, and came back and told her not to worry about it. She asked what would happen if the prices dropped on that day, and he got the manager. The manager told her that they would be able to do something if the prcies dropped, and she said she got the impression he thought they were going to. Lower prices? A few employees trying to make a customer feel ok? Take it as you will.

pcharles
Jan 22, 2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by tranceguy
I'm picturing a black/dark dark grey annodized G5 with a 2.6GHz processor with some cool laser etching.

I'm highly doubting a cheap computer for their 20th. Remember the TAM at nearly $10k? They're going to make something rather elite if you ask me.

A G5 Tube perhaps with a holographic display.

ThomasJefferson
Jan 22, 2004, 06:47 PM
If it means more raw speed in Apple products, bring it on. It can only be a plus. Some people love the form factor and style does sell to a certain segment.

From a personal prespective, if its not upgradable then I don't care if it has a G8 in it, my money will stay in the PowerMac fund.

Krizoitz
Jan 22, 2004, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by pcharles
No, they stole it from Xerox. I don't know if they have the patent or not.

Please don't spout FUD here. Apple didn't steal a THING from Xerox, they got permission to use the research ideas Xerox was using in making REAL products. Xerox had no intention of using this stuff so they let Apple use it and got shares in Apple in return.

NeatGekko
Jan 22, 2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by IndyGopher
Keep saying it, and eventually it'll be right... Pretty good motto.
I suppose all your other (entirely wrong) predictions for MWSF will also be out before the end of the month as well?

I think you fail to notice that my mwsf predict was entirely correct(even price), minus the G5 update release. I always said it was going to be this month and it is. Thats not new news because everyone is expecting G5 updates...what I am saying is that they will be at 3ghz, not 2.6. The 2.6Ghz was ready to ship in october, but apple decided not to update...better for this months...'Giant Leap' *smiles*

Phillip
Jan 22, 2004, 07:48 PM
apple will not release a consumer mac without a moniter period... why?

1. the orignal mac's philosophy was that it was a all-in-one computer...

2. steve jobs doesn't like it

3. a all-in-one computer works... u don't need to have to buy a monitor and plug it in and stuff... its what many consumers want...

i am really hoping for something big on saturday... i really hope for a total redesign of the imac line because, the flat panel imacs are head-turning, but the prices are head turning too... apple needs to make a low end product (g4) imac thats cheap and good looking...

PRØBE
Jan 22, 2004, 08:09 PM
I'd love to see an all Aluminum imac with the current formfactor, A "Ruby" Apple logo to ceebrate the 20 years, G5 processors at 1.8/2Ghz and 512 Ram, superdrive, 128 meg Graphics card and plays "Happy Birthday" every time you start up. (Ok scrap that last part)

Dont Hurt Me
Jan 22, 2004, 08:26 PM
a all in one can work if made of current componets such as the original imac crt, but where the current model fails is its old and slow technology(G4) held back because of powermac & powerbook and sales have proven that. Also as i and many have stated having a consumer machine with a monitor forces joe PC user to throw away his monitor or forces him into the Protowers. monitors last a long time. this is flawed thinking. They should be selling 10 times as many consumer machines as pro models but apple isnt why? 1 they are trying to sell old technology 2 they dont have a consumer product to connect with a monitor so they are squeezing themself out of this market. a all in one is fine but they have to have something for those with monitors who dont have 2 thousand bucks to spend.

yoman
Jan 22, 2004, 08:27 PM
reason is the recent HP-Apple partnership was huge news but never really was leaked or known about till the official announcement. Apple is taking much care now in its secrecy policy so maybe they are hiding a huge monster of a computer or maybe an army of many awesome computers. Anyways, thats my hope and my dream. :D

invaLPsion
Jan 22, 2004, 08:29 PM
I'm just hoping for ANYTHING on the 24th. We mac fans have been deprived of a big product release for nearly 7 months now. (Since the G5, the iPod mini doesn't count.) But, I am hoping for a 2.6 GHZ G5 especially, but a 3 GHz would be simply amazing! Intel and AMD would have to work to catch up to that for months, years even!

yoman
Jan 22, 2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by invaLPsion
I'm just hoping for ANYTHING on the 20th. We mac fans have been deprived of a big product release for nearly 7 months now. (Since the G5, the iPod mini doesn't count.) But, I am hoping for a 2.6 GHZ G5 especially, but a 3 GHz would be simply amazing! Intel and AMD would have to work to catch up to that for months, years even!

i think you meant the 24th. :)

invaLPsion
Jan 22, 2004, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by yoman
i think you meant the 24th. :)

It's been edited. Thank you for making me aware of my very stupid mistake.:D

switchedanhappy
Jan 22, 2004, 08:58 PM
(everyone's gonna hate me but...) please apple no g5 update! give me at least a year before my 4,000$ rig goes obsolete! wouldn't mind a nice g5 pb though.:D I can't belive the mac is 20. i'm gonna tape a classic apple logo over the silver one on my g5 that day.:cool:

RichardCarletta
Jan 22, 2004, 11:05 PM
have announcements for revision b G5 2. 6 GHZ powermacs and G5 2 GHZ iMacs .

For the 25th , they should announce G7 10 GHZ Powermacs and G7 8 GHZ iMacs , Powerbooks . and ibooks .

For the 30th , they should announce G18 20 GHZ Powermacs and G16 18 GHZ iMacs , Powerbooks . and ibooks as well as a 18 GHZ G16 Sportscar like Kitt from Knightrider. :p

Borg3of5
Jan 22, 2004, 11:12 PM
I think Apple is hiding a BIG surprise for the 20th Anniversary. I was at the local Apple Store recently, and the store seemed almost bare compared to previous times I'd been there. There is something brewing for the 24th.

--------------------------------------------
"We, too, are on a quest to better ourselves; evolving to a state of perfection."-Borg Queen, First Contact

aswitcher
Jan 22, 2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by PRØBE
I'd love to see an all Aluminum imac with the current formfactor, A "Ruby" Apple logo to ceebrate the 20 years, G5 processors at 1.8/2Ghz and 512 Ram, superdrive, 128 meg Graphics card and plays "Happy Birthday" every time you start up. (Ok scrap that last part)

I'll take one as well - as long as it has little LEDs that blink in time with the music.

J

ccrandall77
Jan 22, 2004, 11:51 PM
What would be great for the 20th Anniversary Mac would be an aluminum G5 Cube. The original G4 cube is still a hot item on eBay. Amazing that those old, under powered, G4-450's still sell for up to $800. I doubt I'd get that for my 15" iMac G4-800.

Specifically, I'd like to see one with a 80-120GB drive, 4 DIMM slots, 1.6-2.0GHz G5, combo or super drive, decent video, 2 Firewire400 + 2 Firewire 800 + 2 USB2 ports with some of those being in the front. And I'd like to see the Cube case made with the same material as the current G5 PowerMacs.

Oh, and a sub $2000 price tag would be excellent.

aswitcher
Jan 23, 2004, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by ccrandall77
What would be great for the 20th Anniversary Mac would be an aluminum G5 Cube. The original G4 cube is still a hot item on eBay. Amazing that those old, under powered, G4-450's still sell for up to $800. I doubt I'd get that for my 15" iMac G4-800.

Specifically, I'd like to see one with a 80-120GB drive, 4 DIMM slots, 1.6-2.0GHz G5, combo or super drive, decent video, 2 Firewire400 + 2 Firewire 800 + 2 USB2 ports with some of those being in the front. And I'd like to see the Cube case made with the same material as the current G5 PowerMacs.

Oh, and a sub $2000 price tag would be excellent.

And built in bluetooth and wifi mounted in such a way the faraday cage effect of the cube is avoided...

Phillip
Jan 23, 2004, 02:28 AM
if apple is doing something really big for the 24th then they are very good at keeping everything secretive.... very...

Finiksa
Jan 23, 2004, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by aswitcher
And built in bluetooth and wifi mounted in such a way the faraday cage effect of the cube is avoided...

If made out of aluminium the cube would be a faraday cage. External antenna would be the only option.

ccrandall77
Jan 23, 2004, 07:55 AM
I wouldn't mind an externally mounted antennae for BT and WiFi... it give much better reception regardless of the composition of the cube casing.

Plus, as a faraday cage, the cube would be immune to terrorist attacks where an EM pulse weapon is employed. :)

wPod
Jan 23, 2004, 09:12 AM
For $24,950 Macintosh buyers will get a computer that operates unusually quickly and is directed by your hands - interacting with a holographic display projected neatly over a table top.

The user gives commands by pointing their finger at 3D graphic annimations within the display, such as sculpting clay, or even a small recycleing bin to virtually toss away your document.

now THAT would be inovative!!!!!

brooklyn
Jan 23, 2004, 09:18 AM
Wouldn’t it make sense for apple to hint or announce that something big was coming before the weekend? I remember reading that the majority of computer sales are done on the weekends and any pre-purchasing research is done days in advance. Apple would lose out on some sales if they wait till Saturday for any product announcements. I think they would’ve said something by now. But I hope I’m wrong as I’m looking forward to a new Mac and Cinema Display.

Captnroger
Jan 23, 2004, 09:40 AM
If they do nothing else it would be cool if just for the day they slash prices on all of their products, as a way of thanking their customers!

eric_n_dfw
Jan 23, 2004, 11:00 AM

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/9704/09/mouse.inventor/ Also here: http://sloan.stanford.edu/MouseSite/Archive/patent/Mouse.html

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
Also here: http://sloan.stanford.edu/MouseSite/Archive/patent/Mouse.html

it was the first consumer computer that adapted a mouse... point. they also didn t invent a GUI (graphical user interfase), that was xerox... but this is what their invention was about: putting things together, making a totally new way of computing.

denjeff
Jan 23, 2004, 12:41 PM
and i want a refurbished 128k mac with a g5 in it and a build in projector. especially all the signatures inside must be left intact...

btw, i have a 512k, with all the signatures inside... reeaaaaly cool :)

wdlove
Jan 23, 2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Phillip
if apple is doing something really big for the 24th then they are very good at keeping everything secretive.... very...

Well we have less than 24 hours to find out if Steve actually has anything up his sleeve. Afterall there will only be one official 20th Anniversary.

3ric
Jan 23, 2004, 02:11 PM
I went to the local Apple store yesterday and the place was pretty much dead. I know exactly what that means -- everyone was at work!

But it would be super nice if Apple released a super display for the 20th anniversary to match a 3ghz G5 tower -- maybe in a special commemorative case.

I've been watching and waiting for display releases. A 23" Cinema display has been on my list for a few weeks now. However, someone in another forum said Formac is coming out with a widescreen soon, so now I have to wait and see if that pans out... unless Apple releases a display that beats Formac's brightness, contrast, and dead pixel policy.

Has Apple ever released new products on a Saturday? I'm in the market for a new 15" PB as well, but I may just wait until after the Superbowl for that one, unless they release updates tomorrow.

eric_n_dfw
Jan 23, 2004, 02:38 PM
20th Aniversary Mac: Steve's Version

Original Mac enclosure, but transparent
Original 9" monitor but color and with 1280x1024 resolution- (packaged with reading glasses.)
3" slot-loading, CD/DVD (GameCube Size) Superdrive to fit the original floppy drive slot. (It should make that cool, "Shhgeeshunk" noise while ejecting that those 3.5" floppy drives made too!)
New, special edition BlueTooth keyboard with no cursor or function keys and no numeric keypad. (Back to the way Stevo wanted it) In the same shaped encosure as the original but transparent.
Replica, one-button, optical mouse, in the same shape as the original, but transparent and BlueTooth (and it should glow like we all thought the iMac's mouse did at it's unveiling)
Ships with iPaint and iWrite (new versions of MacPaint and MacWrite)
Return of the "Happy Mac" at boot and Picaso Mac during startup
Rainbow Apple logo with gem/candy-like translucency.

Anyone care to photoshop that up for me?

[edit - added:]
Oh - and inside will be a 2.6Ghz G5 with liquid cooling and a silent pump to keep the noise down. A 80GB SATA drive and up to 2 GB DDR RAM on 2 DIMMS.

Erik R.
Jan 23, 2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by eric_n_dfw
Also here: http://sloan.stanford.edu/MouseSite/Archive/patent/Mouse.html
Well, actually, the first mouse, working as today, was invented by Hakan Lans (who also holds the patent of colour graphics and the GPS navigation system to be implemented instead of radar in airplanes.)
The X- Y thingie did not work omnidirectionally. It only went up-down, left-right. Quite useless in other words.

AnotherMortal
Jan 23, 2004, 08:07 PM
As a 2nd hand Cube owner (wasn't a mac user at first release :( ) I would LOVE to see a anniversary edition cube. The likelihood? Slim I think. But I can always wish.

Of course I would be happy with anything marking the 20th anniversary of the Mac...its a monumental occasion. The Mac really did bring computing to the desktop, and thus, gave me a job. (tech support)

MacNut
Jan 23, 2004, 11:08 PM
I think a great present would be for Steve Jobs to announce that Apple will be buying Microsoft and fire Bill Gates

ddbean
Jan 23, 2004, 11:50 PM
Since it's already the 24th on the East Coast of USA, let me be the first to say Happy Birthday Macintosh, let's see you at 50!!!

Doctor Q
Jan 24, 2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by MacNut
I think a great present would be for Steve Jobs to announce that Apple will be buying Microsoft and fire Bill Gates No, don't fire him. Let him be assistant dressing room cleaner for the stars of the "switch" ads, for $5/hr.

G4scott
Jan 24, 2004, 02:07 AM
The Mac's birthday has even made it to the headlines of CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/01/23/mac.birthday/index.html

It's great to see the publicity...

isgoed
Jan 24, 2004, 05:12 AM
It is now early morning of the 24th. I don't think we'll see a special 20th anniversary mac or any other updated pridyct today. If there will be such a thing it will be on an arbitrary date. Apple will after all be an entire year 20.

doogle
Jan 24, 2004, 05:52 AM
my simple request is that they release the ipod software update so that you to take your home setup anywhere. Its such a cool idea.

Happy Birthday Apple I have known you since 1986 and it has always been fun (except for that bit inthe mid-ninties when I nearly left you, but we won't talk about that)

MrSmith
Jan 24, 2004, 07:12 AM
Out here in the East (of the world, not the States) let's say bedtime is at midnight. That'll mean 7am in California. So unless Apple get their *big news* web page up nice and early, we folks out here will have to wait until we get up the next morning.

Imagine Christmas put back to the 26th and you'll see what I'm on about.

wdlove
Jan 24, 2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by isgoed
It is now early morning of the 24th. I don't think we'll see a special 20th anniversary mac or any other updated pridyct today. If there will be such a thing it will be on an arbitrary date. Apple will after all be an entire year 20.

You seem to have hit the nail on the head, isgoed. ;) Steve said it himself' "This is the 20th Anniversary of the Mac all year with many more announcements to come all year." Since this day is almost past it seems that Steve has decided to keep the Mac community guessing.

If Steve is monitoring the forums today, I'm sure that his is having a great time. LOL :p

pjkelnhofer
Jan 24, 2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by isgoed

I never believed we would see anything on a Saturday anyhow. The best chance is Monday, but I would not hold my breath.

aswitcher
Jan 24, 2004, 05:48 PM
When the first Mac was released, was it actually 24 Jan it was on sale?

Jason