Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switchedanhappy

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2003
ct usa
(everyone's gonna hate me but...) please apple no g5 update! give me at least a year before my 4,000$ rig goes obsolete! wouldn't mind a nice g5 pb though.:D I can't belive the mac is 20. i'm gonna tape a classic apple logo over the silver one on my g5 that day.:cool:

RichardCarletta

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2003
Utica, NY
2oth anniversary for mac should

have announcements for revision b G5 2. 6 GHZ powermacs and G5 2 GHZ iMacs .

For the 25th , they should announce G7 10 GHZ Powermacs and G7 8 GHZ iMacs , Powerbooks . and ibooks .

For the 30th , they should announce G18 20 GHZ Powermacs and G16 18 GHZ iMacs , Powerbooks . and ibooks as well as a 18 GHZ G16 Sportscar like Kitt from Knightrider. :p

Borg3of5

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2003
Orlando, FL
20th Anniversary-wow!

I think Apple is hiding a BIG surprise for the 20th Anniversary. I was at the local Apple Store recently, and the store seemed almost bare compared to previous times I'd been there. There is something brewing for the 24th.

--------------------------------------------
"We, too, are on a quest to better ourselves; evolving to a state of perfection."-Borg Queen, First Contact

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Re: G5 iMac

Originally posted by PRØBE
I'd love to see an all Aluminum imac with the current formfactor, A "Ruby" Apple logo to ceebrate the 20 years, G5 processors at 1.8/2Ghz and 512 Ram, superdrive, 128 meg Graphics card and plays "Happy Birthday" every time you start up. (Ok scrap that last part)

I'll take one as well - as long as it has little LEDs that blink in time with the music.

J

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
Please release a new Cube

What would be great for the 20th Anniversary Mac would be an aluminum G5 Cube. The original G4 cube is still a hot item on eBay. Amazing that those old, under powered, G4-450's still sell for up to $800. I doubt I'd get that for my 15" iMac G4-800.

Specifically, I'd like to see one with a 80-120GB drive, 4 DIMM slots, 1.6-2.0GHz G5, combo or super drive, decent video, 2 Firewire400 + 2 Firewire 800 + 2 USB2 ports with some of those being in the front. And I'd like to see the Cube case made with the same material as the current G5 PowerMacs.

Oh, and a sub $2000 price tag would be excellent.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Re: Please release a new Cube

Originally posted by ccrandall77
What would be great for the 20th Anniversary Mac would be an aluminum G5 Cube. The original G4 cube is still a hot item on eBay. Amazing that those old, under powered, G4-450's still sell for up to $800. I doubt I'd get that for my 15" iMac G4-800.

Specifically, I'd like to see one with a 80-120GB drive, 4 DIMM slots, 1.6-2.0GHz G5, combo or super drive, decent video, 2 Firewire400 + 2 Firewire 800 + 2 USB2 ports with some of those being in the front. And I'd like to see the Cube case made with the same material as the current G5 PowerMacs.

Oh, and a sub $2000 price tag would be excellent.

And built in bluetooth and wifi mounted in such a way the faraday cage effect of the cube is avoided...

Phillip

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2003
if apple is doing something really big for the 24th then they are very good at keeping everything secretive.... very...

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Re: Re: Please release a new Cube

Originally posted by aswitcher
And built in bluetooth and wifi mounted in such a way the faraday cage effect of the cube is avoided...

If made out of aluminium the cube would be a faraday cage. External antenna would be the only option.

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
Aluminum Cube == Faraday Cage

I wouldn't mind an externally mounted antennae for BT and WiFi... it give much better reception regardless of the composition of the cube casing.

Plus, as a faraday cage, the cube would be immune to terrorist attacks where an EM pulse weapon is employed. :)

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
For $24,950 Macintosh buyers will get a computer that operates unusually quickly and is directed by your hands - interacting with a holographic display projected neatly over a table top.

The user gives commands by pointing their finger at 3D graphic annimations within the display, such as sculpting clay, or even a small recycleing bin to virtually toss away your document.

now THAT would be inovative!!!!!

brooklyn

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2003
Wouldn’t it make sense for apple to hint or announce that something big was coming before the weekend? I remember reading that the majority of computer sales are done on the weekends and any pre-purchasing research is done days in advance. Apple would lose out on some sales if they wait till Saturday for any product announcements. I think they would’ve said something by now. But I hope I’m wrong as I’m looking forward to a new Mac and Cinema Display.

Captnroger

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
If they do nothing else it would be cool if just for the day they slash prices on all of their products, as a way of thanking their customers!

denjeff

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2004
a pen :)
and i want a refurbished 128k mac with a g5 in it and a build in projector. especially all the signatures inside must be left intact...

btw, i have a 512k, with all the signatures inside... reeaaaaly cool :)

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by Phillip
if apple is doing something really big for the 24th then they are very good at keeping everything secretive.... very...

Well we have less than 24 hours to find out if Steve actually has anything up his sleeve. Afterall there will only be one official 20th Anniversary.

3ric

macrumors newbie
I went to the local Apple store yesterday and the place was pretty much dead. I know exactly what that means -- everyone was at work!

But it would be super nice if Apple released a super display for the 20th anniversary to match a 3ghz G5 tower -- maybe in a special commemorative case.

I've been watching and waiting for display releases. A 23" Cinema display has been on my list for a few weeks now. However, someone in another forum said Formac is coming out with a widescreen soon, so now I have to wait and see if that pans out... unless Apple releases a display that beats Formac's brightness, contrast, and dead pixel policy.

Has Apple ever released new products on a Saturday? I'm in the market for a new 15" PB as well, but I may just wait until after the Superbowl for that one, unless they release updates tomorrow.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
Macintosh Color Classic X

20th Aniversary Mac: Steve's Version
  • Original Mac enclosure, but transparent
  • Original 9" monitor but color and with 1280x1024 resolution- (packaged with reading glasses.)
  • 3" slot-loading, CD/DVD (GameCube Size) Superdrive to fit the original floppy drive slot. (It should make that cool, "Shhgeeshunk" noise while ejecting that those 3.5" floppy drives made too!)
  • New, special edition BlueTooth keyboard with no cursor or function keys and no numeric keypad. (Back to the way Stevo wanted it) In the same shaped encosure as the original but transparent.
  • Replica, one-button, optical mouse, in the same shape as the original, but transparent and BlueTooth (and it should glow like we all thought the iMac's mouse did at it's unveiling)
  • Ships with iPaint and iWrite (new versions of MacPaint and MacWrite)
  • Return of the "Happy Mac" at boot and Picaso Mac during startup
  • Rainbow Apple logo with gem/candy-like translucency.

Anyone care to photoshop that up for me?

[edit - added:]
Oh - and inside will be a 2.6Ghz G5 with liquid cooling and a silent pump to keep the noise down. A 80GB SATA drive and up to 2 GB DDR RAM on 2 DIMMS.

Erik R.

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: 20th Anniversary of Mac

Well, actually, the first mouse, working as today, was invented by Hakan Lans (who also holds the patent of colour graphics and the GPS navigation system to be implemented instead of radar in airplanes.)
The X- Y thingie did not work omnidirectionally. It only went up-down, left-right. Quite useless in other words.

AnotherMortal

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
Baltimore
Anniversary Cube

As a 2nd hand Cube owner (wasn't a mac user at first release :( ) I would LOVE to see a anniversary edition cube. The likelihood? Slim I think. But I can always wish.

Of course I would be happy with anything marking the 20th anniversary of the Mac...its a monumental occasion. The Mac really did bring computing to the desktop, and thus, gave me a job. (tech support)

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think a great present would be for Steve Jobs to announce that Apple will be buying Microsoft and fire Bill Gates

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by MacNut
I think a great present would be for Steve Jobs to announce that Apple will be buying Microsoft and fire Bill Gates
No, don't fire him. Let him be assistant dressing room cleaner for the stars of the "switch" ads, for $5/hr.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.