PDA

View Full Version : How long did it take Apple to Approve your APP?

forcesteeler
Sep 23, 2008, 11:05 AM
I submitted my app about 10 Days ago. Why does it take so long?

I know Apple have to test for bugs,virus,etc.. But Damn its a simple application. Its not like im making the next Grand Theft Auto Game or anything complex like that.

I love apple but this is making me think about the Google Platform since Google says they will be no approval process and they are not going to strangle hold developers.

firewood
Sep 23, 2008, 11:13 AM
I'm hearing roughly 2 weeks, maybe a few days more if there's a potential issue.

sesnir
Sep 23, 2008, 12:26 PM
Rogue Vertex took 6 days to get approved. Longest 6 days of my life.

admanimal
Sep 23, 2008, 12:33 PM
I have been posting almost weekly updates to one of my apps, and they have been getting approved in 5-6 days pretty consistently.

jstanier
Sep 23, 2008, 01:26 PM
Yeah, it tends to be about one working week turnaround time.

fishkorp
Sep 23, 2008, 01:58 PM
My first app was about 6 days, the update for it was approved in 3 days. My second app took over 2 weeks (about 16 calendar days) for approval.

Jeremy1026
Sep 23, 2008, 02:05 PM
My 2 apps in the store (as well as their updates) have taken about 5-7 days each. I have 5 apps (yes, 5) that have been in review since the 17th. So, we shall see if the 1 week standard holds true for me again.

Edit: As I was typing that reply I got one of the "Ready for Sale" emails.

forcesteeler
Sep 23, 2008, 02:49 PM
Ok it looks like the Gods have heard by cries. I got "Ready for sale email" 20 minutes ago. I took in Itunes Connect and its says "In Review"

Jeremy1026
Sep 23, 2008, 04:02 PM
Ok it looks like the Gods have heard by cries. I got "Ready for sale email" 20 minutes ago. I took in Itunes Connect and its says "In Review"

There is usually a 1-2 hour delay between the email and it showing as "Ready for Sale" in ITC, then another hour or so before it is displaying in the iTunes Store. You can find it in the store before it sorts into the lists by searching for it though.

sandman4sure
Sep 24, 2008, 06:36 AM
19 days so far and still in review!!

This is getting ridiculous!
:mad:

DipDog3
Sep 24, 2008, 08:05 AM
Way too long!

forcesteeler
Sep 24, 2008, 10:03 AM
19 days so far and still in review!!

This is getting ridiculous!
:mad:

I just got off the phone with the Apple Developer Support Team. I called about 5 times trying to "Pick there brain" aka Social Engineering.

My research concludes.

1 Week it should take to approve a APP

If you are waiting 2 weeks+. Either there is something wrong with your program or get ready for a rejection letter.

Jeremy1026
Sep 24, 2008, 10:10 AM
I just got off the phone with the Apple Developer Support Team. I called about 5 times trying to "Pick there brain" aka Social Engineering.

My research concludes.

1 Week it should take to approve a APP

If you are waiting 2 weeks+. Either there is something wrong with your program or get ready for a rejection letter.

So what about the time between week 1 and week 2 :cool:

Darkroom
May 19, 2009, 05:06 PM
in light of trent reznor's recent grumbling, seems that the approval process is still plagued with nonsense. but in keeping with the theme of this thread, does it still take about 2 weeks for an app to show up?

macfanboy
May 19, 2009, 06:11 PM
im liking it, reviving old threads

johnnyjibbs
May 20, 2009, 06:25 AM
My recent app took 4 days (they were all working days) to get rejected, then exactly one calendar week to get accepted after that.

Darkroom
May 20, 2009, 07:19 AM
My recent app took 4 days (they were all working days) to get rejected, then exactly one calendar week to get accepted after that.

may i ask why you were initially rejected?

BNZ1
May 20, 2009, 09:53 AM
5 working days (7 days total) and still in review for me

dejo
May 20, 2009, 10:00 AM
My first app, a.k.a took a week or two to get approved, and updates seem to have been within a week. CraigsHarvest, on the other hand, took about 3 months from when we initially submitted until it was finally approved with a number of rejections in between there. Took us some time working with Apple to finally get it to a point that they were comfortable that there was no more "objectionable content" from craigslist appearing in our app.

ghayenga
May 20, 2009, 10:03 AM
5 working days (7 days total) and still in review for me

Same here.

johnnyjibbs
May 20, 2009, 10:12 AM
may i ask why you were initially rejected?
I used a UIBarButtonSystemItemAction button in the toolbar to open up a modal view when Apple said users would expect an action sheet instead. So I had to change the button it to a wordy "Options" (couldn't think what would be a good symbol at 6:30 in the morning, and wanted to get it resubmitted before work that morning!!).

Don't use standard buttons in a way that Apple may consider "confusing for users" or your app may be rejected.

I submitted the original app on a Sunday night, it got rejected early hours of the Friday morning later that week, resubmitted that morning and then approved the following Thursday evening. I was go-karting at the time. I didn't make it through to the top 6 finale racing that evening but the "App ready for sale" email was a sweet consellation... :)

North Bronson
Jul 14, 2009, 05:40 AM
What kind of waiting times are you seeing for your apps lately? Our latest update was sent in 5 July and hasn't been approved, yet.

The update before that took two full weeks to approve (probably because of WWDC and 3.0).

Has the 3.1 Beta increased everyone's wait times?

JimBobBennett
Jul 14, 2009, 07:26 AM
Just had mine approved after 9 days. It went through a few rounds or rejections based on me using system icons in slightly the wrong way (e.g. using the Save button to save something... :rolleyes: )
It then took half a day to spread round the world in the iTunes store - released last night, available from the link but only visible by searcing in the UK an hour ago.

TAJones99
Jul 27, 2009, 11:36 AM
Waiting for apple to approve my app is driving me crazy, I have a simple app to and I'm ready to make my mark in this business.

boyplunder
Jul 27, 2009, 12:23 PM
I posted my first app on 15th July, but I notice that it asks for a release date when you upload it all. I specified 29th July for this, as we still have work on the website and marketing to get done.

From reading other forums, I have also got the impression that they go into some sort of hit list for the category you put them in. I'll be interested to see if it appears on the 29th.

Vizin
Jul 27, 2009, 12:39 PM
Submitted on July 7th, got the ready for sale email at 10:20 PM (central time) yesterday. 19 days.

The review process is bizarre. My app requires a network connection for functionality, so I checked my Apache server logs every day to see if anyone was using it. Apple tested it twice about three days after I submitted, and then they never tested it again before it was approved. Were they just sitting on it for two weeks? Who knows.

TAJones99
Jul 27, 2009, 01:59 PM
I submitted my app on the 22nd of July it got rejected cause it was not appropriately rated well I fixed it and resubmitted it, god knows how long it will take now, if they already reviewed it you would think all the have to do is check for the changes they ask for and approve it oh well we will see

dejo
Jul 28, 2009, 01:04 AM
I'll be interested to see if it appears on the 29th.
Only if it's approved before then. Otherwise, it'll just appear the day it's approved. And then it'll show as being released on July 29th, even if it was actually released later. That's why it's a good idea to reset the Availability Date to the current day when it's finally approved.

boyplunder
Jul 28, 2009, 04:43 AM
Only if it's approved before then.

I checked iTunes Connect this morning and see that my shiny app now says 'Ready for Sale'. This is a day early, so I'm hoping it will be on the AppStore tomorrow. Yippie!

How exciting!
Have now had confirmation that the app is appearing in the AppStore today and is already showing up in the New Zealand iTunes. That's 13 days.

playboy16
Jul 30, 2009, 12:02 PM
23 days and counting for me. it only took me a month to write the entire thing! they need to improve their process. 7 days average ya right! my application is very simple and useful.

there should be some way to pay $100 or something the expidite the process. I'm sure the large companies go to the front of the line anyway.

dejo
Jul 30, 2009, 12:10 PM
7 days average ya right! my application is very simple and useful.
You know how averages work, right? Doesn't guarantee that you are an average case. Hey, what does your app do? Simple and useful might still be potentially rejected. Maybe give this blog post (http://appreview.tumblr.com/) a look and see if you fall into any of those categories.

I'm sure the large companies go to the front of the line anyway.
And you know this how?

ethana
Aug 3, 2009, 01:40 PM
How long does it take to get a new App approved now?

I uploaded 6 apps on the following days:

22nd
19th
20th
19th
20th
19th

Not one of them has been approved yet. Anyone know how long the wait is these days? I have heard 14 days, but some of these are on day 15+ now.

Ethan

TAJones99
Aug 3, 2009, 01:55 PM
Looks like to me Apple will approve or reject your app when they feel like getting to it I submitted my app on 22nd on the 27th I got rejected cause they wanted me to change my rating I did and I resubmitted on the 27th and I'm still waiting for them to approve it I payed my $99 to to make app and try to make some money, this is getting out of hand I don't how much longer people are going to be able to take this from them.

dejo
Aug 3, 2009, 03:04 PM
According to the new iPhone Developers Announcements and News page (http://developer.apple.com/iphone/news/), "96% of applications are being approved within 14 days". Sounds like you've managed to fall into that 4% but you have pretty much just entered that bubble. No need to be getting so worried one day after.

Also, my experience is that Apple is quicker to reject an app than to approve it (days vs. weeks).

syler
Aug 12, 2009, 06:39 PM
Just to keep the tally going...

My first app, Trio Touch Lite (http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=325589514&mt=8), took 7 days to get approved.

Submitted Aug 3rd, 2009
Approved Aug 10th, 2009

Not bad at all.

sergio27
Aug 12, 2009, 08:05 PM
Update submitted on July 27th, approved on August 7th. 11 days.
New app submitted on July 29th, approved today, August 12th. 14 days.

laffs1
Aug 21, 2009, 12:00 PM
17 days and counting...

dejo
Aug 21, 2009, 12:04 PM
17 days and counting...
Yeah, as of Aug 14, we're now at 88% of apps within 14 days.

brvids
Aug 23, 2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah this is out of hand. Time is money and one of my apps is now at 3 weeks with no approval in sight! We pay $99 to be part of this program. Apple is making money hand over fist from this so I don't think it's ridiculous to expect top notch service! Anybody know of a number to call or person to contact directly? I mean besides the appreview@apple.com.

mathcolo
Aug 23, 2009, 12:43 PM
My first application took exactly 9 days (2 of those being weekend) to get approved.

dejo
Aug 23, 2009, 01:40 PM
We pay $99 to be part of this program. Apple is making money hand over fist from this...
You really think Apple is hugely profiting from the $99/year fee? And it really is a pretty reasonable amount. To receive top-notch service, I would expect to probably pay $999/year.

laffs1
Aug 23, 2009, 01:59 PM
So after 19 days, at noon on a Sunday, my app got denied. The reason was there was no error message when you try and go online from the app and the user has no internet access. So now we fix the problem and apply again. Does anyone know about the second time application process? Does it go any faster the second time around? Also, is there any way that they could find another reason to deny on round two or do they give all the reasons at once?

dejo
Aug 23, 2009, 02:25 PM
Does anyone know about the second time application process? Does it go any faster the second time around
Nope, you get put to the back of the line, same as first time submissions, and updates.

Also, is there any way that they could find another reason to deny on round two or do they give all the reasons at once?
They only give one reason at a time. You could quite easily go through multiple rounds of rejections.

brvids
Aug 23, 2009, 03:05 PM
You really think Apple is hugely profiting from the $99/year fee? And it really is a pretty reasonable amount. To receive top-notch service, I would expect to probably pay $999/year.

Umm no my friend. I expect top notch service when Apple takes a 30% cut out of every app and their profits are through the roof. Developers like all of us are directly responsible for their success. 2 weeks or less is reasonable. 3 weeks is not.

playboy16
Sep 4, 2009, 01:29 PM
59 days and counting on my app review. Still being reviewed. This is crazy!

Can I re-submit the same application without removing the one being reviewed? I have a feeling it is stuck on someones desk or something.

jessejohnson147
Sep 4, 2009, 02:04 PM
I read this somewhere

"Apple has posted their answer to the FCC; best info to date from Apple on the app store review process:

Apple Answers the FCC's Questions

From the release:

"There are more than 40 full-time trained reviewers, and at least two different reviewers study each application so that the review process is applied uniformly. Apple also established an App Store executive review board that determines procedures and sets policy for the review process, as well as reviews applications that are escalated to the board because they raise new or complex issues. The review board meets weekly and is comprised of senior management with responsibilities for the App Store. 95% of applications are approved within 14 days of being submitted.

We receive about 8,500 new applications and updates every week, and roughly 20% of them are not approved as originally submitted. In little more than a year, we have reviewed more than 200,000 applications and updates."

My calculations: 8,500 x2 (each app reviewed by two reviewers) = 17,000 apps / 40 reviewers = 425 / 40 hours = 10.6 app reviews per hour? = 5+ minutes each?

They're back to saying 95% approval in 14 days in the dev center news page, up from 88% for the last week or so. Maybe there was a wave of submissions?"

They will allow you one expedited review but you have to email them and tell why. Here is the email :
appreview@Apple.com

Keywords are also being rejected so you can't ride the coattails of popular games here is some reading:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/169274/apple_lets_iphone_developers_add_search_keywords.html

If it is rejected cause of that you will get a email like this.
Dear XXXXXXX,

Thank you for submitting XXXXXX to the App Store. We've reviewed XXXXXX and determined that we cannot post this version of your iPhone application to the App Store at this time because of inappropriate 'Keywords' used to identify your application. We cannot post applications that contain irrelevant keywords in their search criteria. Keywords must be applicable to the application content. It would be appropriate to remove XXXXXX from your 'Keywords'.

Please visit iTunes Connect, Manage Applications to remove the inappropriate 'Keywords', and resubmit your binary for review. <http://itunesconnect.apple.com/>

Note: Keyword terms must be related to your application content and cannot contain offensive terms. It is not appropriate to reference other applications. Keywords can be single words or phrases; keep in mind the text field is limited to 100 characters. All Keywords must be separated by commas otherwise the system will see it as one keyword.

Regards,

iPhone Developer Program

hope this all helps someone

iphonerehab
Sep 28, 2009, 08:13 PM
We had our last app approved in about 16-17 days with only one small rejection, resubmission and then quick approval on 2nd submit. It seemed fair enough.

Our 2nd app is at 35 days with no word at all. We're keeping a positive attitude b/c we worked so hard on this app but I'm looking for feedback from some more experienced developers. I've chalked it up to the idea that they are reviewing it more closely for the "What's Hot" category! :p I've come to the conclusion that they have the "What's Hot" meeting bi-monthly hence the wait!

I don't know if I can keep believing this dream for much longer! What's your recent experiences with approval times? Thanks! And Happy Approvals to you all!

Vizin
Sep 28, 2009, 08:16 PM
I had my first rejection last week (I forgot to display an alert when a network connection failed, oops).

It took 8 days from submission to get the rejection notice. Irritating, but had it been 20 something days I'd be pissed.

firewood
Sep 29, 2009, 11:11 AM
Yeah this is out of hand. Time is money and one of my apps is now at 3 weeks with no approval in sight! We pay $99 to be part of this program. Apple is making money hand over fist from this so I don't think it's ridiculous to expect top notch service!

Someone with no sense of perspective. The $99 is peanuts compared to the $3500 ADC Premier dev program (which is small compared to what some other cell phone manufacturers have charged for access to their dev tools). Don't expect top notch support for such a tiny payment. And the money from apps might be just a bit larger than a rounding error compared to Apple's total revenue. In biomedical or satellite systems, it takes years to get products approved, a month or two is an impossible fast track. And Apple gets over a thousand submissions a day. Your app will be lost in the pile.

The last bunch of apps I worked with took around 2 weeks after submission, give or take a week, to get approved. So I wouldn't worry unless it goes over a month, and I wouldn't depend on any one app idea getting approved. In the mean time, just move on to the next project.

Darkroom
Sep 29, 2009, 09:12 PM
Someone with no sense of perspective. The $99 is peanuts compared to the $3500 ADC Premier dev program (which is small compared to what some other cell phone manufacturers have charged for access to their dev tools). Don't expect top notch support for such a tiny payment. And the money from apps might be just a bit larger than a rounding error compared to Apple's total revenue. In biomedical or satellite systems, it takes years to get products approved, a month or two is an impossible fast track. And Apple gets over a thousand submissions a day. Your app will be lost in the pile.

The last bunch of apps I worked with took around 2 weeks after submission, give or take a week, to get approved. So I wouldn't worry unless it goes over a month, and I wouldn't depend on any one app idea getting approved. In the mean time, just move on to the next project.

while that's true, apple would never have been able to create an appstore with mostly 99 (and free) apps if they charged the adc premier dev price.

that being said, i still believe apple should be charging $99/binary instead, which would end (or severely limit) junk apps and junk app farms which clog up the app store and account for lengthy approval time. in addition, a $25 - $50 fee to submit an update, which would put an end (or severely limit) developers who for some reason feel the need to update their apps every 2 weeks rather than originally submitting something more complete.

i think this way apple could still retain their low tier pricing scheme, the appstore would be a better place with little junk, and developers would feel less alienated during the approval process.

Vizin
Sep 29, 2009, 09:19 PM
while that's true, apple would never have been able to create an appstore with mostly 99 (and free) apps if they charged the adc premier dev price.

that being said, i still believe apple should be charging $99/binary instead, which would end (or severely limit) junk apps and junk app farms which clog up the app store and account for lengthy approval time. in addition, a $25 - $50 fee to submit an update, which would put an end (or severely limit) developers who for some reason feel the need to update their apps every 2 weeks rather than originally submitting something more complete.

i think this way apple could still retain their low tier pricing scheme, the appstore would be a better place with little junk, and developers would feel less alienated during the approval process.

A fee to submit apps is an interesting idea. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it meant better service. Though I don't think it should be so high for free ones. (maybe $15-20 for free ones, $99 for paid ones)

Charging to submit updates is a bad idea. It would discourage smaller devs from releasing updates to fix non-critical bugs. Instead, I think they should reconsider putting updates in the new release list, and instead have a separate "newly updated" list.

Darkroom
Oct 1, 2009, 02:41 PM
just had my first app approved in 7 days. but i submitted it last week a few hours after the iTunes Connect came back online from being down for 3 days. perhaps there wasn't much of a backlog since no one could upload anything during that time. still waiting for approval of my other app which was submitted an hour after the first.

[EDIT] second app was just approved after 10 days.

Demarca
Oct 4, 2009, 03:18 AM
My first application was "ready to sale" after 9 days. It took few more hours to be visible in my category, initially search didn't work too.
But there is a strange situation. It's been almost a week now since my app got accepted, but it's still available only in the biggest App Stores (USA, Germany etc.). Of course i did check all countries in "Manage your applications", including "Rest of world", but my application is missing in many App Stores (for example Poland).

Do you have any suggestions what can be the cause of this? Support didn't answer my email yet.

Thanks

ilove iOS
Jun 22, 2012, 01:21 PM
23 days and counting for me. it only took me a month to write the entire thing! they need to improve their process. 7 days average ya right! my application is very simple and useful.

there should be some way to pay $100 or something the expidite the process. I'm sure the large companies go to the front of the line anyway.

My dad works for a 'large company and it took their app 14 days

----------

2 days and cacking myself, by the way it is based on traffic as well as your age rating. The lower the rating the higher priority (this is stated in the distribution PDF file)

Mike73
Jun 23, 2012, 03:32 PM
7 days for my first app. It went right through.
I thought I made enough mistakes to get rejected, but well, I was either lucky or I really had it right :)

firewood
Jun 23, 2012, 05:20 PM
From less than 2 days to almost 4 weeks, and everywhere in between.

ArtOfWarfare
Jun 23, 2012, 06:50 PM
From less than 2 days to almost 4 weeks, and everywhere in between.

Question: at the end of the 4 week wait, was the app accepted or rejected?

In my experience (I've had 8 approvals and 6 rejections, if I recall properly,) my approvals have taken between 2 and 14 days, while my rejections have taken between 8 and 28 days... perhaps my dataset is too small (thus why I'd like to hear from other people,) but it seems like Apple tends to take longer to reject apps than accept them.

firewood
Jun 23, 2012, 07:17 PM
Question: at the end of the 4 week wait, was the app accepted or rejected?

A couple of each.

Nick johnson
Jun 25, 2012, 01:40 AM
There is no particular time period decided.....
An app can be approved in couple of days and an app may take 2 weeks to get approval....

cMacSW
Jun 25, 2012, 12:04 PM
Like others said it is variable, I know that alot of apps were submitted in the weeks prior to WWDC and it took extra long for my app update to be approved, around 10 days.

iMacFarlane
Jun 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
Between 2 paid and 1 free, the average turnaround was 14 days for apps and about 9 days for updates.

Pomplamoose
Jan 8, 2013, 12:29 AM
in addition, a $25 - $50 fee to submit an update, which would put an end (or severely limit) developers who for some reason feel the need to update their apps every 2 weeks rather than originally submitting something more complete.

I think this is a good start on an idea, but it creates a situation that seems disadvantageous: if a developer sincerely just needs to get the app to real consumers and get their feedback, why should they be charged for every update? While it would create incentive to have a polished product for every submission, it might make a developer's app worthless if he can't update as often after adding a new, potentially buggy feature. I think you're sacrificing the many for the few in that scenario.

Redjericho
Jan 8, 2013, 04:50 PM
Before you hate on apple too hard, read this article, it provides a decent reason as to why it takes so long to approve apps, and why they are rejected so often.

Or just a laugh...

http://www.webpronews.com/apple-app-store-reviewers-look-at-penises-all-day-2012-07

Pomplamoose
Jan 12, 2013, 12:15 AM
I submitted an app 1/7/13.
It was approved 1/11/13.

xArtx
Jan 28, 2013, 08:26 PM
Approved approx 7 days after submission of binary.

Two days between "In review" and approved for sale.

thedon1
Jan 29, 2013, 05:27 PM
I submitted my app in early Jan, took about 5 days total.

Just submitted an updated and that took 6 days.