Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JasonBourne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
I just bought the Apple Cinema 23-inch display and have it hooked up to my awesome Alienware P4.

Don't worry, I'm a MacHead too... I have a G4 Titanium laptop... but that's not the topic of this post.

I have had some interesting results dealing with the fact that Apple has ignored the fact that people might want to also drive this beauty on a PC.

The main problem, which really isn't even a problem unless you're a hardcore gamer, is that you can't adjust the refresh rates of the monitor. It sits a bottom-scraping 60hz and that's it.

I'm wondering if there are any hopes that Apple might release either a system utility for the PC to use, or at least a simple *.inf file so that we could recognize this thing.

If not, I'm wondering if there's any way to deceive my PC into seeing this monitor by using a similar monitor profile (*.inf file).

Any ideas?

Thanks!

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
LCD panels have a fixed refresh rate (and in some ways don't really have a refresh rate). You cannot run them at higher or lower rates. 60Hz will not flicker on an LCD. Unfortunatly you tend to get a lot of smear on LCDs in fast games.

goon

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2004
OKC,OK,USA
Same thing...

Yep I also purchased this 2000.00 dollar monitor and I have a pc. My first video card I had with it ( ATI 9800XT) wouldn't even show the post-screen. In fact it didn't even work in DOS. So I found out that nvidias cards could let you see the post-screen and would work in DOS. So I went out and got a NVIDIA 5950 ULTRA and yep it worked fine, I could see the post-screen and DOS.

And yes refresh rate does matter with this display, because I had my resolution set to 1280x1024 and my desktop looked all sketchy look en. So I upend the refresh rate to 80 and it looked smooth. Then I updated my video card drivers to the most current ones and it want let me choose my refresh rate, because I don't have the drivers or an inf file.

I think it is stupid that APPLE makes a Product and only makes it work half way for windows. They made the ADC convert so it could work with Windows, but the peeps COULDN'T FINISH THE JOB AND MAKE A 8k INF file.

So if anybody could make me a inf file that works with windows i would pay $$$$$$$

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.